[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 83 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: baldur.jpg (145 KB, 892x716)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Who should be in my good-aligned party?
>>
Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen obviously
>>
Warrior: Ajantis
Priest: Yeslick
Rogue: Alora
Mage: Imoen
>>
>>1890923
Alora is best with Edwin though.
>>
>>1890899
Ajantis
Kivan
Coran
Dynaheir
Branwen
>>
>>1890967
Branwen is neutral.
>>
>>1890987
You don't have to hangout with good aligned only
>>
>>1890899
If you want to RP on core rules just go with whoever you like. If you're playing on LoB or scs insane or something it depends on your class. There are also not as many good aligned npcs worth your time compared to an evil or neutral party.
>>
>>1891014
They start to whine at 19 reputation, which is tiresome.
>>
>>1891098
Reputation in bg is complete garbage
>>
>>1890899
I currently have:
MC (Bard)
Imoen as a Thief
Ajantis as a Paladin
Minsc as Melee-Ranger
Dynaheir as a Caster
Branwen as a Cleric

All-human Party.
>>
>>1890899
Imoen as a pure thief fuck dual classing and the need to make her a thief/mage because BGII did it
Ajantis
Minsc
Dynaheir
Yeslick
>>
Opinions on Spell Revision and Item Revision mods?
>>
>>1890987
>>1891014
>>1891098
>They start to whine at 19 reputation, which is tiresome.

I remember this from the original as well, but I'm playing the enhanced edition right now and I have Branwen and Faldorn in my party. They are both happy as fuck at 20 reputation.

Maybe the enhanced edition changed that. Don't know.
>>
>>1893080
It did
>>
>>1891145
Branwen is Neutral though
>>
>>1890899
In ToB? Since that's your picture.
Regardless, my answer will always be "whoever you like most". So invite everyone and try them for a little while and keep the ones you like. That's the most fun you'll have.
The game isn't difficult enough to warrant choosing guy X over guy Y. If you want a tactical challenge, you need to install a mod like Sword Coast Stratagems, and, even if you do, the fun is in making your favorite characters work well enough to get you through.

You will mostly need a good thief to unlock shit and disable traps, and a good healer. Apart from that, it's just damage until you get to higher levels, where you will need a mage to cast abjuration spells to break down enemy mage defenses.
>>
>>1892439
They're great, I recommend their "revised" versions, because the author of those is still updating them and takes advice into account. I gave some detailed feedback after my last run and he took it into account and changed stuff around.
>>
If you want strictly good-aligned party then it's Imoen, Khalid, Ajantis, Kivan, and Minsc. Then buy a fuckload of arrows and snipe everything. Or replace one of them with Dynaheir for some magic support.

The other three good-aligned characters don't show up until you're already over halfway through the game so they're kind of useless.
>>
>>1893080
It was pretty ridiculous anyways, the "canon" party has Jaheira as the odd Neutral in a group of NG/LGs, and she has to be neutral by virtue of being a druid.
>>
>>1892439
I don’t care for them. Some things f their design decisions are really no better or more sensible than the base game. Might be worth a run just to see something different though.
>>
>>1893168
The lack of a good aligned cleric before the halfway point is really surprising when I think about it.
>>
>>1893571
You can pull branwen very early and she's blatantly a placeholder for either type of party.
>>
>>1890917
Based and canonpilled
>>
Playing through the series for the first time. Does player alignment matter in this game? Which alignment has the most benefits?
>>
>>1894190
Only for class restrictions at character generation, starting reputation and an encounter in the tavern at the last 1/3rd of the first game. Only your reputation matter when it comes to what abilities you get in plot-related moments. Nothing forbids you to play goodie-goodie while being chaotic-evil. Don't remember if Ajantis gets pissy about you, but Kerghan definitely doesn't.
>>
>>1894240
>>1894190
I mean Keldorn, not Kerghan.
>>
>>1894247
Kerghan did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1894263
Based and Lich-pilled.
>>
This seems like a good place to ask, I'm new to the series and just finished my first play through, and I'm wondering why siege of dragonspear is disliked? I liked it. I've never seen anyone say why, just seen the pasta.
>>
>>1890899
Depends on Charname class.
I like having Kivan and Ajantis as muscle if I'm going for a good party.
Priests options are very limited, basically only Yeslick is good iirc..
Imoen is very precious, she has great stats and can dual class to mage. Long term she can fulfill both roles.
Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir are the classic quarter but they bore me personally.
>>
OP here. I'd like to clarify that I'm playing a mage
>>
I was going to remind yall that this nigga exists, but was surprised to learn he's CN. Thought he was good-aligned for some reason.
>>
>>1894993
Alignment is kinda meaningless in the game and particularly in BG1 npcs.
>>
>>1894953
Go Ajantis, Coran, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira.
>>
>>1892351
Imoen only goes to Thief 7 because that's all you need for her to lock/trap clear the entire game. Thief 8-10 are wasted levels.
>>
>>1894626
I certainly never bothered to play it, because to me there's nothing missing connecting BG1 and BG2 that really needs a game to flesh out. I tend to avoid decade-later sequels/prequels from bush league developers unless I see some major signs that they really "get" the original and have the talent, humility, and discipline to be faithful to it. One look at the cast of NPCs is all I really need to know they aren't going to deliver a game I want to play. YMMV
>>
>>1894993
2e bards need to be part neutral.
Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral or Neutral evil.
>>
>>1895432
>Lawful Neutral
>bard
*Sings state propaganda unironically*
>>
File: the inn.jpg (55 KB, 813x529)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
This thread reminds me I should continue this game and finish stuffing every companion in the Friendly Arm Inn
>>
>>1895076
>only
In vanilla BG, if you went past 7 you wouldn't be able to earn enough XP to get your thief abilities back. It's more of a happy accident that 7 levels is enough to max Find Traps and Open Locks.
>>
>>1895808
I'm fairly sure most of them disappear after a while.
>>
File: 1270547568181.jpg (164 KB, 640x1280)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1890899
>good-aligned
>>
Planning a neutral/evil party because the evil dwarf tank dude sounded cool to have around.
No idea who to fill out the rest of the group with, having a monk MC.
>>
>>1897282
Korgan
Haer'Dalis
Viconia
Jan Jansen
Edwin
>>
>>1892439
Spell Revision is good, makes useless spells useful and fixes broken shit like Improved Haste
Item Revision is not good as it makes many magical items heavily overpowered
>>
>>1895076
6 is enough
>>
>>1897282
bg1
xzar
montaron
kagain
edwin
viconia

bg2
korgan
viconia
edwin
You can use jan for the thief skills and go like a man a tank traps
>>
>>1890899
didnt played bg1 much, but in bg2 if good or neutral allways take Aerie
the good: she is absolute beast buffer/debuffer with cleric and mage spells in sequencers
the bad: suffer through her whining
>>
>>1898233
She levels rather slowly though so until she really gets going you’ll likely need a backup mage and possibly a backup cleric or Druid too.
>>
Pure (single) classes are stronger throughout BG1 and SoA but come ToB any multi begins to shine as they catch up and can basically do two jobs at once. Except Edwin. He's always the best wizard for the job.
>>
>>1898314
That's because ToB is shit and they never bothered making the classes scale decently beyond lvl 20.
>>
>>1898347
You either hate high level D&D or you don't. Not saying they couldn't have done a better job but either way it is a slog unless you're into it.
Now compared to SoA, ToB is weaker no question. But overall as an expansion I liked parts of it enough to replay it almost as much as BG1 and 2 so saying it's shit is like, just your opinion, man.
>>
>>1898314
>Pure (single) classes are stronger throughout BG1 and SoA
That really depends. Some pure classes are weak as shit like thief, which have uses but a multi will generally do it better while still covering the mandatory thief requirements (find traps and open locks).
And Dual Classing properly will basically always end up better than a single class due to how XP progression works, with single class only being better if you want to do something like take advantage of a dwarf's saving throws bonuses. Even without ToB, if you dual a level 9 fighter in SoA you'll still be able to reach the maximum mage level for SoA, 17.
>>
>>1898941
I was talking about Multis because dualing is basically busted from the get go. Why would I want to play a mage if even 1 level of fighter let's me have more HP and a wider selection of gear? The only downside is time investment to unlock your old class. Dualing is OP and the reason why humans are dominating the lesser races.
>>
>>1897943
>xzar
>montaron
>kagain
>edwin
>viconia
So far I've found the first four of those.
Either you picked them out because they're quick to get, or the game did a good job of putting all the recruitable NPCs early in the game.
The lack of a healer fucking sucks though, is Viconia going to show up soon, or do I need to start looking for a replacement for Imoen until I get her?
>>
I personally liked dicking the drow bitch into an alignment change when I play as a good PC, even if it meant managing rep so she didn't bail before then.
>>
ive never played this before but i just finished downloading it.

if I have the EE, can I skip all the shit beamdog added by refusing to let their new faggot companions join my party?

i wrote down all their names to make sure i dont add them on accident
>>
>>1901998
Pretty much, though some have little events before they join like mages attacking or something.
>>
>>1901998
You'll be able to tell anyways because Beamdog's special snowflake OCs have every fucking line voiced
>>
>>1901914
Viconia can also be found early on, east of the Friendly Arm.
>>
>>1902032
Also if you Charm the guy chasing here he'll tell you what she did and it backs up what she says in BG2 about the murders
>>
>>1902032
Oh shit, 'preciate it.
Thanks to Xzar and Monty, I wound up immediately doing a 180 and heading South instead of doing what Gorion said.
>>
>>1902131
Should have listened to your dad anon. You will learn.
>>
>>1902144
>You will learn.
...fuck you, I just slept at the inn in Nashkel before I last stopped playing.
>>
The best parties are always mixed alignment since seeing them trash talk one another is fun.
>>
>>1901914
BG1 spreads the recruitables throughout the whole game, it’s just that most of best ones are frontloaded. There’s a few mods to move the really under appreciated npcs like Quayle, Alora and iirc Tiax earlier because most people never use them
>>
>>1901998
>i wrote down all their names to make sure i dont add them on accident
Just get this mod https://github.com/Argent77/A7-NoEENPCs
>>
>>1901914
I kinda torn on Dorn.
I'd like a two handed weapon guy, and Xzar has been pissing me off with his propensity to always wind up at the head of the group when a fight breaks out, regardless of the formation I use.
However I'm worried I might be leaning too hard on melee if I swap them out, and wind up fucking myself late game.
Would Edwin and Viconia be enough magical firepower/healing on their own, or should I keep Xzar around and bank on being able to abuse more late-game magic?
>>
>>1905104
>Would Edwin and Viconia be enough magical firepower/healing on their own, or should I keep Xzar around and bank on being able to abuse more late-game magic?
Is your game modded? If not they're enough imo especially since edwin has a billion spell slot.
You'll need to kill Xzar if you want to keep montaron or remove him from the party inside a random house
>>
>>1905134
Not modded at all, just playing stock BG:EE due to reasons.
>You'll need to kill Xzar if you want to keep montaron or remove him from the party inside a random house
>or remove him from the party inside a random house
Oh, I was just going to kill him off, but that sounds way less permanent.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to see about leaving the mad lad in solitary somewhere once Dorn offers to join.
Right now I'm just on my way to pick up Vic', so Imo' can go.
>>
>>1894626
Awfully written.

Artificially strips you of the gold you acquire in bg1 without a satisfying narrative reason and for no real purpose except to stunt your progress.

Forcibly shoehorns in Irenicus as the shadow/secret villain with all the shit writing, making him a lot less interesting and impactful than he was in bg2.

Main villain's plot is outright retarded to the point where it should not be remotely persuasive to anyone, yet the game relies on how persuasive she is as a way of making her a threatening villain.

Lots of gotcha style encounters that are piss easy if you tech the right way or mindlessly "fuck you, you lose" no matter what you do a la a regenerating lich that screws any party w/o access to haste and a no-magic zone encounter against an assassin who backstabs for perma death tier dmg on any caster in the game forcing you to either bring invisibility potions or lose a character.

Generally lots of uninteresting encounters that devolve into throw fireballs against the horde of goblins/trash and clean up, honestly a huge disappointment if you consider that they no longer had the technical limits computers had during the original games release and years of mods/dnd encounters to steal ideas from yet couldn't come up with much anything more interesting than just having you kill copy paste hordes. This also has the "fun" side effect of making wizards even more useful. Also the only new models for enemies come from IWD, which is nice to get ported but a disappointment for modders who wanted new options.

Many of the new party members are cunty and irritating, including a soldier lady who berates you for telling her to do her job. In general, everyone you meet is outright incompetent at their job and you spend a lot of time telling them to get their shit together and they respond by forcing you into a quest first, making the whole narrative feel like a chore instead of an actual game with player choice.

Awfully written.
>>
>>1906197
So I won't be missing out on much by skipping it when importing over to BGEE2?
>>
>>1906516
Just some XP and OP items that get imported that weren't in the original BG2.
>>
>>1906532
Can you still hit the level cap in BG2 by then without it, or do bosses scale down or... honestly how does that even work?
>>
>>1906577
BG2 was designed without SoD in mind. That was made decades after by completely different people.
The exponential xp requirements for leveling up mean that any xp gains from SoD are mostly insignificant anyway. I believe some encounters scale to your level (some of the chapter 2 quests will give you stronger or weaker variants of the same monster types in some places) but generally it simply doesn't matter.
>>
>>1906532
>OP items
Nothing really that op gets imported, most useful ones are Archer's Eyes and Helmet of Dumathoin (esp if you play on Insane, every little bit helps against double damage).
>>
I can’t believe I waited so long to try BG. Even this first one, which from what I understand is lackluster and boring compared to 2, has this great sense of adventure and the world feels alive in a way most other games don’t. It’s great.
>>
>>1906577
Unless you're grinding or running solo or with a small party you likely won't hit the level cap anyway.
There is some scaling when it comes to "random" monsters in dungeons so doing a quest late game can still give you a challenge. Instead of some mummies you'll get a random lich for example.
>>
>>1891098
>>1893080
the old games would only have Neutral characters "break" if you hit 1 reputation, they would not be content if youre at 20 but they wont leave the party or anything
>>
>>1907480
>>1906972
Thanks, I figured it was balanced decently, I was just curious what route they took.
I guess I'm not too surprised that you aren't expected to hit 20 though.
>>
>>1907613
Bg2 has a cap of 2,950,000xp which is easy to reach if you do all the quests. That's lvl 19 for fighters, lvl 17 for mages and so on, different for most classes.
ToB raises the cap to 8 million, which is hard to reach unless you're really trying.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_Tables
>>
>>1907707
Really ToB messes with the balance of SoA far more than SoD does. Though 8m xp is unlikely to be reached, 3m is easily enough. ToB also removed the wisdom requirements for higher level divine spells, which really changes balance between the affected casters.
>>
File: beamdog.png (39 KB, 661x245)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>1894626
Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.
>>
>>1890899
Ajantis, Jaheria, Kivan, Coran, Imoen & MC (mage)
>>
>>1907853
>safana
she's the femme fatale stereotype, not just a sex object
pretty much all npcs in the classic game are one dimensional characters that played right into the old fantasy clichés, literally noone has a problem with this except moral busybodies who are on a crusade to change the world
>>
>>1907853
>No, that's not really the kind of story we want to make.
Did they forget they were remastering the game and not remaking it?
>>
File: tedium.png (298 KB, 482x347)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
>Really want to take a break from IWD and play some BG
>Load it up
>Not really sure what to do first
>Stare at the world map for a few minutes
>Turn it off
Fuck.
>>
>>1907853
>Minor Sequencer (and ostensibly Spell Sequencer, Trigger, and Contingency) doesn't work on any console version of IWD:EE
Pretty low bar and they still failed.
>>
>>1907912
Well that is from Siege of Dragonspear, which was entirely new rather than a remaster. Of course the old npcs that showed up in it were worse off for it.
>>
File: kagainshop.png (1.63 MB, 1920x1080)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
>>1895808
I shove everyone in Kagain's shop because it's a big empty space with lots of storage.
>>
>>1906532
you don't even need to play or own SoD to get the items you just go into EEkeeper and set global variable BD_HAVE_SOD to value 1 and then add BD_SOD_IMPORT_01 to BD_SOD_IMPORT_11 and set their variables to 1 and they'll all be in the game.
>>
>>1907914
I, on the other hand, am playing IWD for the first time and loving it. Don't even know why I never tried it before. Killing that necromancer in single combat would have had me creaming my pants as a teen, now I'm just smiling and wondering why we can't play those tropes straight anymore.
>>
>>1907382
Both of those are pretty OP. The helmet is actually viable on korgan all the way through the end of ToB or on any other dwarf while still being extremely useful on a number of characters. Not to mention helmets are the hardest magical items to find, so getting a second one early alongside balduran's is pretty damn nice. The archer eyes is also a very powerful amulet for nalia/imoen if you tech them toward the gesen shortbow. It gets outshone by mage amulets on them eventually but for any character that wants to run the archer kit its extremely strong. And even if you aren't an archer, the bonus dex is often quite useful and commonly the equivalent of getting 1 extra ac out of a non-amulet of protection item. At minimum its another cloak of the sewers on a lot of characters, very viable throughout the first half of the game and decent enough to see situational use later on.
>>
>>1907382
Wish you could get the cloak that protects against crits
>>
>>1908175
Post the Faldorn and Safana portraits you're using to make them less hideous.
>>
File: 7qKhHP5.png (107 KB, 210x330)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>1908304
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71245/portraits-makeover-ugly-to-decent
>>
>>1908224
Dumathoin is particularly good on korgan since it gets him more saves and regeneration.
>>
>>1908320
Wait, saves max at 18. Thought the 5 bonus required 20.
Well the extra hp and regeneration and resistance is still nice.
>>
File: FALDORM.jpg (13 KB, 110x170)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1908304
Not him but I use this one. I guess you want stuff approximating the originals, though.
>>
>>1905155
i got rid of khalid in the first friendly arm inn house from the map entrance iirc
dont forget to equip montaron with plate armor if fights get a bit heavy as hes a fighter too
>>
BG2 is already filled with easily obtainable OP items a couple more doesn't hurt anything. Free the slaves and do the thieves guild quest and you'll have enough for the Robe of Vecna with money left over.
>>
Opinions on SCS' HLA spells as special abilities component?
Level 9 spell book is really crowded, so this could give you a lot more options. But this applies to enemy mages as well I guess.
>>
How important is a cleric in BG2? Can I make do without one and instead just use Jaheira as my sole divine caster?
>>
File: cat.jpg (108 KB, 1024x1024)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1908175
that sounds neat without all the clutter from the tavern.
But what are they all going to do while the Ward goes on adventuring for days? better to let them hang out in the Inn
>>
>>1908578
Kagain runs a mercenary company so I pretend they're all out doing random jobs while I'm not there.
>>
File: 1577106929960.jpg (3.18 MB, 2560x3810)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>1908304
>>
File: 1576981324980.jpg (3.93 MB, 2552x3840)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB JPG
>>1908662
I guess she skipped faldorn
>>
>>1908531
depends how well you know protections and what you'll need, might have to supplement with scrolls. some useful spells like negative plane protection are universal but like protection from evil and free action aren't. i can't really think of anything that's truly indispensable off the top of my head, but it's hard to argue against having a cleric. with that said some of these are available to paladin if you have one
>>
>>1908531
Clerics get some pretty useful exclusive spells but nothing you can't live without having a cleric in your party for imo.
>>
>>1908531
Very. Going without Chaotic Commands, Raise Dead, and especially Lesser Restoration is fucking suffering. NPP would be mandatory too if it didn't last like 18 seconds.
>>
>>1908667
Hero 1 looks like she would be crazy in the sack. And probably also crazy in general.
>>
>>1908822
>>1908870
I looked at cleric exclusive spells and the one that will hurt the most is mass protection from evil. No restoration also sucks, but there's scrolls for that.
Smite can be compensated by Call Lightning and Insect Plague, I guess.
>>1908899
Chaotic commands is castable by Druids as well, also Jaheira has Harper's Call for rez.
>>
>>1908919
Mages can cast protection from evil on single targets. It's not as good but you can make do.
Non-inquisitor paladins have protection from evil both as a spell and an innate ability. They also get access to the mass version as a spell albeit much later than clerics.
Smite is mediocre. It's sole benefit is that it's one of the few damage dealing spells that clerics have access to and that it can be mostly party friendly. It's blown away by what mages can do.
>>
>>1908919
>Chaotic commands is castable by Druids as well, also Jaheira has Harper's Call for rez.
If you want Jaheira in your party. I'd still take a Cleric if only for Lesser Restoration, and if only for Firkraag's dungeon and the Vampire Lair.
>>
>get to candlekeep again
>don't trust anything
>you have fresh eyes
>don't trust this strange man
>he ran away as soon as you appear
>TAKE THIS RING IT'S WHAT YOUR DEAD ADOPTED FATHER WANTED
>YES GORION IS DEAD HAHA I SAW IT HAPPEN
>where were you that you know this?
>WOW FUCK OFF IF YOU DON'T WANT MY HELP
>>
>>1909150
Koveras is Sarevok backwards.
>>
>>1909205
Holy shit
>>
>>1909205
>Sevarok
It's really not
>>
>>1910090
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1897556
you need to beat a lich to get edwin, and do this tedious shit with prison to get haer dalis
>>
>>1910149
>you need to beat a lich to get edwin
huh?
>>
>>1910149
>you need to beat a lich to get edwin
It's not a real Lich. This guy is a total pushover.
>tedious shit with prison to get haer dalis
You don't have to do that at all actually. You can just free him from Merkath and postpone going back to the theater till you feel like doing it. He will complain but never leave.
>>
>>1910249
The guy that guards the Nether scroll
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Nevaziah
>>
>>1910286
but that happens later on, you can still get him and play for quite a while before that quest triggers
>>
File: srvk.png (12 KB, 146x48)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>1909205
truly a mastermind
>>
>>1910292
His Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma in BG1 were just 14, 12 and 13.
>>
File: 1565985778251.gif (993 KB, 250x250)
993 KB
993 KB GIF
>exploring the woods
>run into a hunter
>his name is Bub Snikt
>>
I just realized the power of MAGIC, only have 1 mage but she just nuked 2 greater basilisks stinking cloud/fireball/magic missles. I been doing it wrong going 2 bow 3 physical 1 mage.
>>
>tfw can't decide which incredibly expensive magic item to buy in beregost first
Kagain and Dorn could both use the full plate, my MC wouldn't mind the extra AC from Feldepost, Kag could also use that nice +1 battleaxe.
I can't decide if I want to use this dump stat book on someone, or just pocket the 2500 gold either.
Thinking maybe I should skip the full plate, because technically it's not magical, so I should have a decent chance of actually coming across a suit in the wild eventually right?
>>
>>1911457
You can get 4 or 5 platemail armors in the area south of Beregost if you're rude to the Flaming Fist mercs there. I think the first Full Plate Mail you get organically is the one a guy drops in front of the stables outside the Cloakwood Mines.
Get Kagain the Bracers of Dexterity before you go blowing 9k or whatever on Full Plate. The Battle Axe +1 might be the more important purchase, especially if you don't want to do Nashkell Mines any time soon. I can't think of a place to loot one.

If you have a mage, some combination of Friends, the Nymph Cloak, and the Ring of Friendship, you can knock off something like 25% of item costs if you can get their CHA to 20+.
>>
>>1911122
Sleep is even better, though greatest may be too high level for it.
>>
>>1911835
>You can get 4 or 5 platemail armors in the area south of Beregost
Yeah I'm swimming in Platemail, the Full Plate is what I haven't seen yet.
>I think the first Full Plate Mail you get organically is the one a guy drops in front of the stables outside the Cloakwood Mines.
>Cloakwood
I haven't even heard or seen that yet, so maybe I'll buy it afterall, since I could use two of them anyway.
>Get Kagain the Bracers of Dexterity before you go blowing 9k or whatever on Full Plate.
The ones that set your DEX to 18?
I found those when I went to go kill Dynaheir for Edwin, and I see why you suggested that, they're fucking amazing on Kagain.
>>1911835
>If you have a mage, some combination of Friends, the Nymph Cloak, and the Ring of Friendship, you can knock off something like 25% of item costs if you can get their CHA to 20+.
Holy shit, thanks.
The price on the full plate had gone up by over a grand for some reason and I wasn't sure why.
>>
>>1912342
>The price on the full plate had gone up by over a grand for some reason and I wasn't sure why.
Could be your Rep., especially if you've been recruiting Evil party members and killing innocents. Rep and CHA have an effect on shop prices, but I never bothered to memorize exactly how 'cause I always wind up at max rep. I just brute force shop prices with 20 CHA, but you can check the chart on the wiki and see exactly how much of a discount you can get with what CHA you can get your face character to.
>Cloakwood
It's a while into the game, and you can only go there after you've heard about it through plot progression, without mods.

>I can't decide if I want to use this dump stat book on someone, or just pocket the 2500 gold either.
Depending on the book, it could be worth it to give to a party member. If it's Wis, you can check the spell tables on the wiki and see if giving it to a party member would let them memorize more spells.
>>
>>1911835
>The Battle Axe +1 might be the more important purchase, especially if you don't want to do Nashkell Mines any time soon.
Not sure about vanilla but in the EE you can buy a returning +1 axe and use it in melee by left clicking it outside the inventory, it's way cheaper
>>
>>1912342
You can get a full plate mail in the bandit camp, you won't find much better magic armor and you're better off wearing it with a ring of protection.
Ankheg armor offer similar protection, there's one hidden in Nashkel if you didn't get it yet
>>
>>1895808
I did the same thing. I like going there and imagining they're all hanging out, although I have no idea what actually keeps them there.

>>1896433
Nah, they don't.
>>
>>1903044
I always use Quayle and Coran, but I really wish I could get to Alora earlier because she seems cool. I'd probably even give Tiax a try too if I could get him earlier.
>>
File: alex jones 2.jpg (68 KB, 720x840)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1894626
The joy of Baldur's Gate is exploring, getting lost, picking a direction and just walking that way until you've gone as far as you can go. It's a big, open world where it's easy to get lost. There's none of that in Siege of Dragonspear. It's a straight line of encounter after encounter, but they shoehorn this boring, hamfisted story in too that feels tonally completely different from everything else in the series. If it wasn't an Infinity Engine game, it would feel absolutely nothing like Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>1912372
>If it's Wis
It's Charisma, I'd give a Wisdom book to Viconia.
Or should I just use all the permanent stat upgrade books on the MC since he's getting exported into BG2?
>>
>>1912658
>should I just use all the permanent stat upgrade books on the MC since he's getting exported into BG2?
Always a solid choice but depends on the stat and your scores. CHA is mostly seen as the dump stat because the most important thing it influences is money spent in shops but you'll likely be swimming in money anyway in the midgame.
>>
>>1912372
>I just brute force shop prices with 20 CHA
Best I can manage is getting Edwin up to 16 CHA with a friends spell, but Dorn already has that much.
Charm Person doesn't seem to really do anything either unfortunately, and I can only bank on their charisma scores by making everyone else walk out of the shop.
>>
>random noble out in the woods called Lord Foreshadow
>starts talking about going back to visit Neverwinter
Black Isle wasn't very subtle with their easter eggs were they?
>>
>>1912978
?
>>
>>1913005
>npc is called "foreshadow"
>talks either about Athkatla or Neverwinter
>>
>>1913037
Ah yes, the old "they were totally planning everything since the first game". Did you start checking BG3 to more totally planned since the beginning moments?
>>
>>1912948
You can get a Nymph Cloak (+2 CHA) from the fat guy on the second floor of the Feldpost's Inn. You can pickpoket it with relatively low scores, or just murder him.

The Ring of Friendship (CHA = 18) will be given to you by Lord Foreshadow in the area north of Nashkell, but you need a certain about of CHA for him to give it to you.
>>
>>1913046
>The Ring of Friendship (CHA = 18) will be given to you by Lord Foreshadow in the area north of Nashkell
Well fuck me I guess, I just spoke to him and he wandered off.

On a separate note, do Darts have their damage modified by the thrower's strength like Slings do?
I can't decide if giving Dorn a slow Sling to nuke shit with, or a faster Bow that wastes his strength for multiple attacks is a better option for him.
If he can abuse his strength three times a round with the ridiculous APR of Darts, that seems like an obvious choice though.
>>
>>1913046
>The Ring of Friendship (CHA = 18) will be given to you by Lord Foreshadow in the area north of Nashkell, but you need a certain about of CHA for him to give it to you.
That's from a mod
>>
>>1913071
Is it really? I thought it was an EE thing. My bad.

>>1913069
I know Darts Kensai is a thing, but I have no idea whether they get a damage bonus. I'd assume so. Wiki doesn't seem to say.

Not hard to test, though. Take a char with 16+ STR and no proficiency and chuck a few at something. If you do more than the weapon damage, you're getting your STR bonus.
>>
>>1913069
Bows have better ammos and you might be able to combine arrows of detonation with poison weapons for an aoe poison
>>
>>1913081
>16+ STR
17*
>>
These games are so hard. I like them but man not knowing the dnd rules filters me hard on certain encounters.
>>
>>1913081
>Not hard to test, though.
Yeah but I was stuck on the screen and didn't want to reload.
Actually remembering what my last save was, I figured fuck it.
And apparently darts don't get a strength bonus, which kinda surprised me.
So I guess it's mostly down to Longbows or Slings.
Basic Com. Longbow on Dorn does 3-8 with two APR.
Basic Sling does 9-12 with one APR.
And I'm guessing the options for magic Longbows are better than magic Slings?
>>
>>1913089
The first few levels absolutely fucking suck.
It's like trying to play Morrowind with no major weapon skill and ignoring your zero fatigue.
Once you get a level or two and some decent gear from wandering around in the wilderness looking for shit to kill, you start to feel like someone who isn't completely insane for wandering around in the wilderness looking for shit to kill.
>>
>>1913104
Here's why you want bows
>>
File: BWPSS20120813061.jpg (251 KB, 512x532)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>1913113
>>
>>1913116
>6d6
Holy fuck, I was putting off identifying the ones I stole from some little kobold shits.
I didn't realize how much damage they did, I just knew they fucked my team up.
>>
>>1890899
Coran in every single playthrough.
>>
>>1913120
Those are fire arrows, not arrows of detonation I'd imagine.
Arrows were nerfed in BG2 which transferred over in EE.
>>
>>1913120
Those are just Fire Arrows, which are still good.

Bows in BG are OP as fuck. Fire Arrows, Acid Arrows, Arrows of Detonation and Arrows of Dispelling are all retardedly OP, and bows have way more APR than they have any right to.
>>
>>1913130
>>1913127
Well fuck, Longbows it is, thanks.
>>
>>1913127
>acid arrows in bg 1d6+2d6 acid dmg
>acid arrows in bg2/ee 1d6+1d3
I'm still mad
>>
>>1913142
Aw I'm sorry you can't do three attack's worth of longsword damage per shot from across the map anymore.
>>
>>1913081
>Is it really? I thought it was an EE thing. My bad.
It's from NPC Project. Don't know why they felt the need to add that though.
>>
>>1913212
Cut content, maybe? Unfinished Business and NPC Project are supposed to be about restoring cut/incomplete content, right?
>>
>>1913212
Because it's a shitty fanfiction
>>
>>1913229
Bg1npc is fantastic fan fiction.
>>
>>1913089
They are a product of their age, you were expected to either know dnd rules already on the virtue of being an og neckbeard or read the fucking manual the games were shipped with.
>>
>>1913320
Which one did you write?
>>
>>1913416
None, you think I would actually do work? For free?
I tried the mod though along with a bunch of other ones and it is one of the best. Not really a lot of competition, especially for bg1, but still.
>>
File: 1541497576824.jpg (40 KB, 484x547)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>go to beregost smith
>sell loot
>identify stuff
>have a +1 medium shield to ID that I don't remember picking up
>leave smith
>walk across town
>realize my fucking gem bag is just straight up gone
>load autosave
>repeat
>gem bag is back but the shield is nowhere to be found
Did my gem bag turn into a goddamn shield for no reason?
>>
How well do both games hold up nowadays? Are they fine vanilla or are there some essential mods needed to really enjoy them?
>>
>>1913723
Unironically the best way to play is enhanced edition. Don't need any mods, just fire up the game and roll. The only mod I'd recommend is the one for BG1EE that adds the original cut scenes back. They fixed that mistake in BG2EE by only having the original cut scenes
>>
File: letus.jpg (56 KB, 480x476)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1913723
playing BG:EE right now. It's pretty fun so far.
I get why people complain about the Beamdog content though. The companions stick out a lot. Not only because a lot of their dialogue is voiced, but because they are made into fit companion designs of later RPGs. Also writing is pretty bad. The elf girl makes me cringe when I first met her.
I think RPGs improved a lot since BG, but I think it still holds up fine. I'm having fun at least. idk
>>
>>1913891
half-elf
>>
>>1913891
Wait so the EE added additional new content by Beamdog? I thought it was just a straight updated version
>>
>>1913929
It includes the companions I think.
Doesn't have Siege of Dragonspear or whatever it's called to my knowledge
>>
>>1913723
Install convenient EE characters and scs. Play on tactical or lower if you're unfamiliar with d&d
>>
I want to play a sorcerer specialized in frost spells, i'm planning to install iwdification for more ice spell and rogue rebalancing for the frost dart. Anything else I could use? Are there other mods that add spells?
>>
>>1913923
Fuck off, Neera
>>
>>1913891
>The elf girl makes me cringe when I first met her.
She just felt bland to me, like I'd seen the archetype too many times to care.
Dorn's the same way, but he stays out of the way for the most part so he doesn't feel as invasive.
You just have to deal with his stupid recruitment fight.
At least Neera's fight didn't feel like it was made by a nine year old.
>>
>>1913993
Really? REALLY? That's just great. People like you really bolster my faith in strangers.
>>
>>1913929
They added four new party members, a new difficulty, and an optional game mode where you make a party and fight monsters in an arena with increasingly difficult fights. And all the BG2 engine features in BG1 with a lot of bug fixes.
>>
File: the naughty corner.jpg (15 KB, 334x267)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1914005
Neera stay in your fucking corner
>>
>>1914033
I honestly just got tired of Pathfinder a bit after my last file got shitcanned, made me want to dig into the classics since I've never touched any of the old isoRPGs
>inb4 "zoomer"
I really just never got into cRPGs until Pillars for whatever reason
>>
ankheg shells are so heavy jesus
>>
>>1914127
Unless you've got mods, you really only need two, or maybe three. One to make Ankheg Plate, and one or two to sell. They depreciate so fast it's barely worth it.
>>
op here i'm BACK

here's what I'm thinking

>me, generalist mage because I want to use all the spells
>ajantis to tank
>imoen to thief
>branwen to cleric, maybe replace with yeslick?
>kivan to archer
>coran to also archer

Would use minsc but I don't want dynaheir and I don't want to split them up. Could use khalid as tank and jaheira as my divine caster though, not sure.
>>
>>1914134
that 500 gold though
>>
>>1914163
>I want to use all the spells
>trying to do all the casting with a single mage that doesn't even get bonus specialization spell slots
Just specialize and get any other mage that doesn't spec in the exact same thing.
Drop an archer for it.
>>
>>1914186
Don’t need to drop an archer, can dual Imoen.
>>
>One (1) lone kobold appears
>Viconia immediately blows a hold person spell on it
>Thing fucking explodes before she even gets the first word of the incantation out
How do I stop her from ever pulling this shit again
>>
>>1914733
>reload since I saved right before her little stunt and kill it without her wasting the spell slot
>fun into five more kobolds
>she blows BOTH her hold person spells trying to target the kobolds while they're being torn to pieces by the rest of the party
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1914733
The AI is pretty shit. You either have to suck it up and micromanage every action, or just accept the fact that spellcasters are going cast shit when you don't want them to, and/or break casts to attack shit, etc.
>>
>>1914733
>>1914739
>>1914741
In EE you can customize their ai. Just make them autoattack enemies but not cast spells
>>
File: 20210721222956_1.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
Someone save me from this endless hell of scales and exploding arrows.
>>
>>1914770
You could do that in the originals as well, just give everyone's ai script to "default attack" or whatever its been called.
c: TPK2A implies there's an unfortunate gun accident waiting to happen to the whole party in the nearest future.
>>
>>1914994
Was that show details option in the original game too?
>>
>>1918855
you mean the highlight items on the ground? BG1 no, BG2 still no unless the expansion was installed, ToB introduced it.
>>
>>1913127
>Arrows were nerfed in BG2 which transferred over in EE.
Were they?
My recollection is just that they didn't put any in the game. I'm pretty sure if you cheat you can add the original arrows of detonation to your inventory.
>>
>>1919013
Oh yeah, enormously nerfed. Acid arrows for instance did something like an extra 2d6 acid damage in bg1.
>>
Just installed BG1, anyone who might know why my game crash to desktop when I turn off Full screen in BGEE?

Also I have this like wierd grainy texture around everyhing, like the scale is wrong or something. Hard to explain but the text is like fussy.
>>
Don't let this thread get chunked.
>>
File: Baldr000.png (1.16 MB, 1920x1080)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
Man it's such a shame Baeloth isn't available as companion in BG2, i can only imagine his banters with Viconia and Edwin. Mark Meer does such a good job with his voice but instead of cool drow we got fucking RAASAD as companion. Such a waste.
>>
>>1890923
Ajantis being a companion is non-canon even within the scope of the original games. Neither of you recognise each others' voices when you meet in BG2, and it's made clear that even when under the illusion you retain your original voices.
>>
>>1922294
A sorcerer would have been nice to have in BG2 as well.
To think people actually disappointed by the lack of an EE companion.
>>
>>1922357
>To think people actually disappointed by the lack of an EE companion.
I'm not. They're all shit and obnoxious as fuck. That anon's a retard with shit taste.
>>
>>1908175
what a strange party
>>
>Beamshit gave Khalid proficiency in Axe and Two-Weapon Fighting
>Gave Shar-Teel proficiency in Two-Weapon Fighting
Fucking Why? These people need to be keelhauled.
>>
>>1913158
It's a consumable item though. Not saying it wasn't overpowered for bg1 and in bg2 acid/fire arrows are plentiful for troll slaying but the comparison with a longsword isn't entirely fair.
>>
>Return to Nashkel after the mines
>Nimbull tells me to surrender
>Say I won't
>He attacks me
>Rasaad interjects himself into the fight
>Tells me I shouldn't make a habit of picking fights in the street
Is there anything more gay than monks?
>>
>>1924376
paladin
>>
>>1924365
Not to mention that with plentiful strength bonus items you end up doing tons of damage with swords anyway.
>1d8+2+7 = 13.5 average
>1d6+2d6=10.5 average
>>
>>1924258
Khalid has longsword, axes and longbow
>>
>>1924402
Don't forget that as a ranged attack, you aren't receiving any damage. You can't just compare damage on paper, ranged is fundamentally safer than melee, so it's damage shouldn't be anywhere near equal.

>>1924400
Nah, Rasaad's far and away the most self righteous humblebragging retard in the game. You have to have a certain amount of brain damage to be a monk in the first place, but that's hardly an excuse.
>>
>>1890899
MC (NG swashbuckler)
Minsc
Ajantis
Branwen (replaced by Yeslick)
Neera
Kivan/Coran
>>
>>1924415
>ranged is fundamentally safer than melee
Is this your first time ever discussing RPG combat balance on the internet?
Ranged attacks require proper conditions to use. Most enemies in Baldur's Gate are capable of closing the distance to any attacker in a single round, at which point all those weapons can't be used without massive penalties. One of the fundamental challenges of the combat is doing the crowd control to prevent this from happening. Get aggro on the tanks, disable enemies with spells, exploit terrain and obstacles in your favor whenever possible, and so on.

Ranged attacks also have limitations. As mentioned, they are consumable. You can only attack with fire arrows so many times until you run out and have to switch back to normal ones. Large shields all have an additional AC bonus against missles. There's lowish level magic protection from missiles. There's a high level cleric spell that turns missles back on the shooter.

Ranged proficiency requires spending points on it. Although you can certainly build a fighter to be good at both melee and ranged attacks, that still isn't totally free.

Finally, enemies have ranged attacks, too. The whole reason you wind up with so many fire arrows in BG1 is because kobold commandos use them on you first.

I'm not here to say the AD&D 2e rules for weapon damage are perfect by any means, a lot of it is just weirdly arbitrary. But there's no fundamental balance reason why arrows have to do less damage than melee weapons.
>>
>Two Proficiency in Bastard Swords
>Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
>Bastard Sword +1
>16 Strength
>Bless
>Getting -1 on my Attack Rolls in the Dialog Window
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON
>>
>starting out
>people getting one-shot left and right without warning
>reloading constantly
>start to level up
>people stop dying without warning
>get multiple casts of broken spells that instantly end fights against anything not immune to magic
This is a hell of a reverse difficulty curve.
>>
>>1893119
Which is weird because her voice-lines make her out to be more along the lines of Neutral Good.
Especially with how happy she is if you have a high reputation.

I think they just didnt want another Good Cleric after Yeslick.
>>
>>1907927
Did they ever fix the bugged Spellcasting interruption where more DMG to caster meant less chance to interrupt his spellcasting?
>>
File: wut.jpg (264 KB, 1600x900)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>1894626
>and I'm wondering why siege of dragonspear is disliked? I liked it. I've never seen anyone say why, just seen the pasta
2/10 bait

If you see the writing in SocJus-Spear and have no problem with it you might as well start eating your own shit because apparently the smell and taste dont bother you either.
>>
I played through SoD once and I didn't like it because of the awful audio and stuff that undermines BG like Entar Silvershield being brought back to life. I did like the OP items so at appropriate times in BG like killing the serial killer Ogre Magi I'll console in the Crimson Dawn katana as a reward.
>>
File: 1620350202956.jpg (66 KB, 300x300)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1898233
You're supposed to take Aerie on an evil party so you can watch Viconia and Korgan bully the shit out of her.
>>
>>1890899
I recently beat BG and then booted up BG2 and I just can't into it.
It seems so foreign and unplayable. Even though I had Imoen and Minsc in my party they are different people now. The game feels different aside from this.
I can replay 1 over and over but this just feels off.
>>
>>1926273
>Even though I had Imoen and Minsc in my party they are different people now
Yes, because they are actual characters in 2
>The game feels different aside from this
It got better in *almost* every way
>>
>>1926273
>they are different people now
Were they even people at all in BG1?
Even with BGEE, the companions comment so little that they barely feel like they exist.
The only one to actually do anything has been Dorn since he's new.
I just threatened the big motherfucker when he thought I was insulting him, and he's just like, "Yeah, you actually could kill me, and that's why I'm bothering to stay." which wasn't at all the response I was expecting when he started getting aggressive.
I dunno if it was his way of making sure the party leader wasn't showing weakness or bad writing, but all the base companions do nothing.
Xzar and Monty just bitch at you to get to Nashkel, then do nothing but laugh at each other if they die.
Kagain checks up on his client, just goes "Welp I'm fucked, mind if I tag along?", and hasn't said a thing since.
Edwin hasn't said a single thing outside of hiring me to kill Dynaheir, and then "paying" me with himself after I did.
Did I just pick shitty characters for interactivity?
I'd kill for some more party interaction at this point.
>>
>>1926410
>I'd kill for some more party interaction at this
Then install the BG1 npc project.
>>
Is it just me, or is the Slayer ability really buggy in EE?
Sometimes it disappears from my special ability tab without ever using it. Another time I suddenly have two charges.
Also when activating it, my character doesn't visually turn into the slayer, but still gets the bonus stats. That might have to do with Adalon's Drow transformation though, since I'm currently in the Underdark.
>>
>>1924827
>Sword
proobably an AC modifier vs. Slashing
>>
>>1926423
Shit, I guess I should've looked into mods before I started after all.
Is that even worth bothering with adding late?
I'm at the Cloakwood.
>>
>>1927078
Not who you're replying to, but, I honestly didn't think the writing was that great in NPC Project, and it gets really excessive, especially with Imoen. But maybe that's just me.
I felt like Unfinished Business added more than enough content to give personality to the majority of the companions without ever being overbearing.

As I recall, a lot of the content is pretty front-loaded, yeah. It's probably not worth installing that late.
>>
>>1927078
Npc project is mostly WORDS WORDS WORDS (x100) with varying levels of quality, mostly not very good
>>
>>1927101
>>1927124
Eh, fair enough then.
At least I'm not missing out on a whole lot.
>>
>>1927203
Nah, he's incorrect. BG1NPC project is over all great at making the NPCs show the personalities they are supposed to have. Really makes different party combinations more interesting as well since all the NPCs have different banter with each other as well. It's one of the best mods around and even adds a few more quests for some of the companions. Not certain why one guy on /vrpg/ is so against it, perhaps because it makes them more like the BG2 npcs.
But mods on your first play through is passe in general and I wouldn't have recommended it for that since then you can't really make a good judgment call about what you do and don't like in a game. For a second playthrough though I would recommend it 100% since it seems to be exactly what you were wanting.
>>
>>1927247
>But mods on your first play through is passe in general and I wouldn't have recommended it for that since then you can't really make a good judgment call about what you do and don't like in a game.
that's I'll I'm saying (though I'm not the original guy to object)
>>
>>1927253
I might make exception for certain mods like ones that change the possible resolution or fix bugs, but even those can taint the view of a game since some bugs can really impact gameplay and the meta. Imagine if they had patched skiing out of tribes instead of embracing it.
>>
>>1927247
>BG1NPC project is over all great at making the NPCs show the personalities they are supposed to have.
You can take that pretension and shove it right up your ass.
I bet you think Beamdog did good work on SOD, too? You make me sick.
>>
>>1927293
No you faggot, we all know beamdog’s crimes. I bet you like the Baldurs gate novels, for decades the only “true” canon with the games just being fan fiction . Your taste is shit and disgusting.
>>
BG1 NPC Project is great if you avoid every good alignment companion, Xan, and Shar-Teel. The more popular a character is with modders the worse they are. Poor Kivan and Imoen.
>>
>>1924376
I decided to give SoD a chance and I went to go see Rasaad at the Iron Throne building and after refusing to join me fight the crusade he tried to interject himself into a refugee squabble. One of the refugees turned into a Werewolf and killed him it was great.
>>
>>1928519
That's just the personality they're supposed to have you hater, you can be sure Kivan would randomly start dancing in the wood if Bioware had the time to write him
>>
>>1928972
Quit shitposting and go back to your Sandrah saga mod forums Roxanne.
>>
>>1929501
No. The Sandrah saga is good and gets unearned attacks, people should use it and EET not old, outdated and buggy bg1npc project. Be thankful she included any of it in her EET.
>>
File: JtI4I.jpg (193 KB, 800x649)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1929501
If it came out 20 years ago you'd be here recommending it instead of Npcproject
>>
>>1929621
Fuck off Roxanne.
>>
>>1928972
>That's just the personality they're supposed to have you hater
Seriously shut the fuck up you pretentious twit. You do not know what they are "supposed" to have. Christ you are embarrassing.
>>
>>1929520
lmao. In a setting filled with mary sues, sandrah manages to be the biggest one. And with the most cringey dialogue, too.
>>
This is probably a really retarded question, but what's considered the true approach to BGs gameplay - real-time or turn-based?
>>
>>1929671
Not sure if I understand your retarded question correctly. Classic BG is a rtwp game and setting autopause trigger after every round doesn't make it turn-based, everyone still moves, attacks and uses spells in real time. It is a product of its time, when turn-based games weren't hype and real-time was all the rage.
Does BG3 being turn-based make it less "Baldur's Gate"? Debatable. I don't care enough about brand for it to matter to me, but other people may have different opinions. BG3 is also a product of its time, when turn-based games have a renaissance of sorts, not in the least because of Larian's DOS success. It is also turn-based because apparently Sven always dreamed of making a dnd game true to pnp experience.
>>
>>1929671
I just try to play it as real time as I can, and only pause when I absolutely need to.
>>
>>1929671
Pause-when-you-have-to-do-magic-shit.
Basically.
>>
>>1929816
>Does BG3 being turn-based make it less "Baldur's Gate"?
Yes
>>
>>1929816
Technically BG1/2 are turn based in real time. The time actually almost lines up to the time scale too with 2e timing: A round is a minute, a segment is 6 seconds, and turn is 10 minutes. Unfortunately the time scale is ever so slightly off where a round is 72 in-game seconds instead of the proper 60.
>>
>Beamshit went out of their way to rename copy of The History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness in the vampire wolf's lair to "Ulcaster's Dusty Old History Book" so that it's the only copy you can turn in for XP
Just when I think I couldn't hate these faggots any more I learn something new. What abject pieces of human garbage.
>>
>>1909205
300 IQ move
>>
>Dual Shart-Eel to Thief
>Her AI, no matter what I do, won't Detect Traps
It just keeps getting worse.
>>
>>1913142
do any mods restore BG1 arrow damage?
>>
>>1926129
>level 1 CHARNAME
>running away from wolves and getting one shot'd by kobold archers
>level 30 CHARNAME
>buttfucking balors, cambions and death knights in a single round
>>
File: shrug.jpg (83 KB, 384x313)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>Forcing myself to do a Single-Weapon Fighting Bastard Sword character even though it's shit, because I've always wanted to
>Usually go Two-Weapon Fighting Scim/Katana
>Never gotten two copies of Rashad's Talon before
>Get two copies this run
>>
File: 1345281779877.png (188 KB, 700x700)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>1893179
There is no "canon" party because the games are non-canon.
>>
How long is dragonspear? I'd like to finish it once but I can't be bothered caring about what happens.
Also can you split paired companions in this?
>>
File: 1316742676162.png (239 KB, 800x705)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>1932098
I wish I knew.
>tried to play through it 4 times with 4 different characters I played through BG1
>the writing is so insufferable that I just stop as soon as soon as you leave arrive in the first wilderness area after the city

Its just night and day with how bad the writing and the characters are in SoD and im like.. still at the beginning.
>>
>>1931179
>Detect Traps
I have played through these games roughly ten times so far so I have finally gotten the mod that removes all hidden traps and makes all locks bashable.
I have not looked back since, but I still keep a thief around and max their locks/traps.
>>
>>1890899
>Who should be in my good-aligned party?
You say that like the game has any content for an evil party.
>>
>>1932284
It does
>>
>>1932269
Apparently it's a coding thing. They had to program each NPC individually to interact with each part of the Custom AI script, and somehow they forgot to code Shart-Eel to find traps when using the custom AI.

Luckily, Thief Ranged has a passive Find Traps baked in, and that works just fine.
>>
>>1890899
minsc is the worst character his a full on retard
>>
>>1932465
Thief controlled works too
>>
>>1932214
For me, it's voice acting for minor npcs. Entar Silvershield filtered me many times in the SOD's prologue.
>>
>>1932214
>I just stop as soon as soon as you leave arrive in the first wilderness area after the city
I just stop dropped it again there right now, why bother when I can just jump into bg2?
>>
>Playing all of BG1 with a full party
>Nowhere near the XP cap, about to take on the Iron Throne
I don't think I've ever been so squishy while doing Bandit Camp and Davaeorn before. At least not since before I learned about Mutamin's Garden and undead being immune to petrification. Shit's rough.

Going down the Mike's RPG Center list of sidequests in Baldur's Gate trying to get levels now. Feels bad not finding them organically, but I don't think I ever would otherwise.
Thanks for reading mt blog.
>>
Finally got around to doing Dorn's quest in BG1 and I just want to set record straight for the guy that told me you didn't, you totally do get Albruin +1 at the end of his quest.
>>
>>1932954
it's bullshit he's even alive.
>>
>have to identify stacks of arrows separately
>none of my characters can auto identify any of the ammo I have
Uggggghhhh
>>
>>1934588
Shouldn't have dumped your WIS bro.
>>
>>1934380
Why? It's not like raising the dead is uncommon in D&D
>>
>>1932954
Most of the voice acting grated on my nerves coupled with the writing. I remember being impressed with Khalid's VA though, what a difference of quality and effort when compared to the recruitable captain. Or goblin.
>>
>>1934588
>memorize 2 identifications
>use them on arrows if you had nothing better to use them on before going to sleep
>>
>>1934748
My only mage is Edwin
>>
>>1935215
Dual Imoen.
>>
Will Sarevok when he joins at the beginning of ToB scale his XP to yours? Or will it be a fixed level?
Because in that case I'll postpone doing watcher's keep till ToB.
>>
>>1934588
I like to recruit Garrick, let him identify everything and then kick him from the party. If you kick him after recruiting him he will stand forever in Beregost, ready to be recruited if I need his lore again. Should work with Eldoth, too.
>>1935678
I think he scales up to a point, usually he was a few levels behind my crew.
>>
>>1935678
He doesn’t scale in the original without mods, but I dunno for EE.
>>
>>1934634
You don't think Sarevok's handpicked assassins would have killed him in such a way to ensure he can't just be brought back?
>>
>>1935298
I kicked her out a while ago, although come to think of it I'm not sure I ever saw her at the Friendly Arm after that.

>>1936046
>I like to recruit Garrick, let him identify everything and then kick him from the party.
I might try that, he's still standing around Beregost for me.
>>
>>1937121
>I might try that, he's still standing around Beregost for me.
If you never recruited him all the better, that way he'll get some starter xp so his lore will be higher without you needing to invest in him at all.
>Kicked Imoen
Shame, she makes a great thief and backup mage if you aren't going to be one yourself, but there isn't any real thief shortage in the game anyway.
>>
I'm trying out Baldurs Gate on the switch, and it works surprisingly well, though I wish the buttons could be remapped a bit
Tempted to skip straight to 2, but I want them stat books
>>
>>1934588
It's fucking painful going from a Bard and identifying everything like it's nothing, to some other class and not being able to identify shit, even with Garrick, without spending shekels
>>
>>1937631
>though I wish the buttons could be remapped a bit
It's so bad on PS4. The put the start menu on the nice big touchpad and pause on the tiny dumb start button.
>>
>>1937634
I'm at the point where money in the game is common enough the IDing all my weapons and armor at shops isn't much of an issue, granted it absolutely sucked early on.
Having to ID every stack of arrows separately is actual bullshit though.
I'm trying to at least one of each kind around so that I can just compare the icons and manually ID the stupid things, while praying none of them are identical.
>>
>>1937134
>Shame, she makes a great thief and backup mage if you aren't going to be one yourself, but there isn't any real thief shortage in the game anyway.
I probably would've used her, but I've been playing an evil party and figured she'd be an issue to keep around.
>>
>>1890899
Viconia.
>>
I don't like the first level of Durlag's Tower much. Putting together the gong and wine and shit.
>>
>>1932214
>>1932098
Dragonspear is reasonably long because its completely linear. You can cut out a lot of fat by skipping sidequests but you have to do
>starting dungeon
>traveling to the bridgefort
>dealing with the bridgefort
>sneaking into the castle/planting bombs
>battle with caelar
>slog through hell
Even if you try and speedrun it by giving up the fort immediately and sprinting through maps its A, going to take you a few hours, and B, you'll probably get ass blasted in hell because the final boss is immune to +2 or lower weapons so Dragonspear dumps overpowered gear on you in the sidequests.

Regardless, the expansion is awful and shouldn't be played unless you are explicitly playing it to see how bad it is, like I did.
>>
File: 1626318039179.jpg (39 KB, 720x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Is there no good way to move replaced party members to somewhere safe when you get a new one? I dont like leaving people in some random locations just because my party was full
>>
>>1940358

There are mods that supposedly let you do this, but I could never get them to work.
>>
>>1940358
Why don't you just go to an inn or something before you remove them from your party...?

NPC Project, Unfinished Business, CDTweaks, or NPC Tweaks, or possibly ToBEx, I forget which, has an option that lets you send an NPC to almost any named inn you've been to; Feldpost's, Elfsong, Friendly Arm, etc.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.