[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1603121304209.png (11 KB, 1038x466)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
What's most important to you in an RPG?
>>
>>1776893
Character customization and progression > characters > gameplay > story
>>
>>1776893
Story=Gameplay=Characters
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay, it's a GAME, if it's not fun to play it's shit. Gameplay is foundation of all games including RPG. For RPGs, good story and characters are the building to the foundation. Without the foundation, you have no stable worthwhile building. Without the building, you have a stable foundation, but not much else. It's worthless. They are essential to each other.
>>
>>1776893
Story > Characters > Gameplay
>>
What the fuck is "characters"? why is it distinguished from story and gameplay? How can it be anything else?
"Art" or voice talent would make sense but...
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay > Story > Characters
A story is shit if it doesn't connect to the gameplay, and characters are shit if they have no connection to the setting or gameplay. Nobody remembers the useless party members.
>>
>>1776893
If the gameplay isn't good enough why even bother to play the game when you could watch the story bits on youtube?
>>
Characters > Story > Gameplay
but then again Character and story is a little confusing like >>1777896
I played a shit ton of JRPGs where I thought the gameplay was generic or boring as all hell but I keep grinding along because the setting/story/characters are fucking good.
>>
Gameplay>gameplay>gameplay
Story and characters can only ever be a negative.
>>
>>1776893
gameplay > no fucking propaganda based on real world "issues" to drag down the worldbuilding > characters > story

I like a good story, but you can't build one I'll care about in a video game without a clean and solid foundation. The ludo from the gameplay has to be conducive to the theme and tone of the story for example: the restful nature of a safe item room in a horror survival game as a break from the adrenaline pegged hellscape outside.

I won't care about the story unless it has interesting and relatable characters, and you can have a more free form rpg without a heavy handed story such as Elder Scrolls so players just make up their own.

By contrast VTM: Bloodlines would have been totally forgettable without the characters as the story was pretty basic.

"Story" is really the end product that makes a series of button pushing a game, it's the paint, roof and windows that makes a foundation and a framework a home. It can never come first.
>>
>>1777896
?? Plenty of games have a strong cast of characters but a shit main plot that drives them
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay > story > characters
Don't really give a shit about characters at all.
>>
>>1777896
sometimes a story is shit but the characters in it have entertaining banter
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay > Characters > Story
I usually enjoy the generic "hero has to journey and beat the big bad" story like dragon quest but its the characters who carry that story and make it fun, and gameplay is the most important since im playing a video game.
>>
fishing minigame
>>
There aren't many stories or characters good enough to keep me around for shitty gameplay, and I'll get tired of obnoxious party members a lot faster than a bad plot. Just let me make my own party and have a basic "retrieve the artifact of destiny" story.

gameplay > characters > story
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay >whatever
I can accept anything if i like the gameplay
>>
>>1776893
Writing > Characters > Character Interactivity/Decision Making >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soundtrack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Build Variety

No such thing as a RPG with good gameplay, there's a reason nobody likes tabletops except for ugly loser NEETs. RPGs are only good for a interesting adventure in a cool world. Case in point being that the most popular, critically acclaimed and succesful RPGs are things like Witcher III, Mass Effect II, Dragon Age I, KotOR and Skyrim.
>>
>>1776909
based
>>
>>1777896
Sexy women and cute girls
>>
>>1779404
Nail on the fucking head. Who cares if Skyrim is a "dumbed down RPG". It lets me roam around a vast interesting world, explore, cast magic, kill dragons.
I don't need dice rolls or complex tabletop systems. All that matters is whether or not the game can provide a good adventure
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay > progression > story > characters
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay will always be the most important for me. If it's not good enough to hold my interest for 60+ hours then it can fuck off.
Between the other two, Characters > Story. A basic plot with great character writing is far more interesting to me than a supposedly amazing plot with stale one-dimensional tropes for characters.
>>
File: 1571642187993.jpg (66 KB, 528x792)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1776893
Gameplay > Characters > Story
I can live with a bad story if there's a nice and interesting party dynamic that keeps things entertaining moment to moment.
I can live with a bad party if the gameplay is interesting.

People placing gameplay anywhere but the top, can I ask what games you've played to get this impression of your priorities? Like, what game have you played that kept your attention JUST for story or characters even when the gameplay was abysmal?
>>
>>1777010
Watch movies.
>>
>>1776893
Either Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else

Or Story>Gameplay>Characters

Good characters but bad story just makes for a disappointment. There arent many games that manage good story without also having good characters, but I can think of one and it was totally worth it.
>>
>>1776902
Same
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay

Games will never have good stories outside of one or two freak incidents and the peak of character writing in games is still incredibly shallow and unsatisfying.
>>
>>1781824
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Come to think of it, nearly all games I've enjoyed most in recent years had solid gameplay and shit story, but decent characters.

>what game have you played that kept your attention JUST for story or characters even when the gameplay was abysmal?
Original Pathologic is the one game where this was the case for me. Gameplay sucks ass, but I stuck around because the writing was unlike anything else. That's definitely more of an exception, though. Recently I tried playing Tales of Berseria and, while I was interested in the story and the cast seemed pretty dope, the combat turned me off enough to just drop it.
>>
Well Gameplay would be MOST important but a game needs to be a complete package in order to be truly good. Games like VtMB or Xenogears might have good stories but if the gameplay is shit why bother? You need a good story AND good gameplay to have a truly good RPG.
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest of that shit
>>
>>1776893
BEING ABLE TO FIGHT WITH YOUR FUCKING FISTS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN RPG'S
>>
>>1776893
Gameplay>>>>>Characters>Story
>>
>>1776893
Story > Characters > Gameplay
>>
>>1776893
Story, gameplay, and characters should not really be weighed against each other as distinct concepts since each one is a part of the other two
>>
Being able to Punch everything to death.
>>
>>1776909
kino
>>
>>1776893
>The best answer is the least popular one
Who was the demographic of this poll? Twitterfags?
>>
>>1776893
There's no definitive answer. An RPG with a compelling "hook" (interesting setting, characters, prelude) is a good start, but I might research something that just looks appealling and get into it. A smooth combat system always helps, but I might simply not be in the mood for that kind of control scheme. I might just get really awed at the design and decide I want to explore the whole of it.

Basically it's not fucking black and white. There's no winning recipe because the reality will always be "it depends", and these threads are for fucking brainlets or shills surveying for statistics.
>>
>>1781297
There's no reason to play skyrim more than once because you can join every faction. There's no reason to collect any items because you can enchant the best gear yourself, and shouts don't work on unique items. There's no immersion because the same 3 actors voice every character. There's no reason to explore because every dungeon is a copypaste always with a barred exit tunnel at the end.

Skyrim would take no longer than 20 hours to 100%, that's right every single side quest, if you just avoid wasting your time collecting crafting materials and random shit that's rendered obsolete by blacksmithing/enchanting.

The combat is fun and I like the music, I'll give you that. Parts of the story are fun too. But most of the storytelling is tedious and doesn't amount to much entertainment. The game is only slightly above soulless MMO questing, and there's zero surprise from me they decided to tap into the MMO market after skyrim.
>>
>>1776893
That poll and this thread explain why VRPGS are such a slow-evolving genre. The majority of the fans are fucking morons who want RPGs to reinvent the movies/novels, yet they can't even do that correctly (by supporting actual interactive movies like David Cage games). Most probably don't even know what /tg/ roleplaying is like.

>>1782897
The definitive answer is that "gameplay" is a redundant Germanophile synonym for the majority of what a game is. Of course it's the most important part. You can appreciate components such as characters, story, music, etc without even playing at all, you can even just read or listen for those, that's how nonessential they are to the video and game.

On the bright side, it shows how high the standards of "gameplay" are in the industry, that people so commonly think they aren't needing it as much. They probably think the mediocre efforts in otherwise high productions are genuinely bad rather than just the mediocre essentials.

>>1782638
>>1778254
>>1782540
Truth.

>>1779179
>>1781236
>>1781849
>>1782248
>>1782554
Based.
>>1778271
That spoiler and your upside-down answer are hilarious. This is the most regressive force weighing on genre, VNfags.

>>1779404
>>1781297
You don't even see the merits of the games you "defend". Everything you want is done better in purely action-adventure games, not to mention adventure games. Yet you aren't playing those instead because you and your explanations are stupid.

>>1782971
Most of this is just bad balancing, which you can at least self-apply or mod. Plus, crafting is even less interactive than looting, and MMOs are okay in theory just bad in practice.
>>
The feel.
>>
>>1776893
exploration and atmosphere. actively dislike the soap opera approach of most.
>>
>>1777010
--> /a/ /tv/
>>
>>1776914
/thread
>>
>>1776893
Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Usually I prefer Gameplay > Characters = Story until it gets into indie and/or low-budget stuff, in which case I care about Characters > Story > Gameplay, like in Trails of Cold Steel, haha...
>>
>>1776893
the world > the gameplay > the storie(s) > the characters
>>
>>1783087
Didnt ask
>>
>>1786679
Cope.
>>
>>1776893
>Characters: 275
>Story: 222
>Gameplay 208

I guess gameplay is low because people except it to be industry standard level up, get better attacks affair. I suppose the quality of stories are quite subjective so people can say an RPG's story sucked but they liked it. Meanwhile for characters, you only have to like a few to make the game worth playing for someone. So I think it checks out.

(Yes I know that this way of dividing points is not very accurate but neither is an anonymous reddit vote with a few hundred people)
>>
>>1776893
The combat
It's a fucking game, not a /tg/ make believe storytelling session.
>>
setting > gameplay > characters >story
really could do with out 'story' at all, just give me an immersive world to explore and grind in with personable npcs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.