[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mass-Effect-1357283.jpg (50 KB, 590x350)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
What's the best Mass Effect and why?
Which one's the most complete package in your opinion?
>>
>>1772738
The first game is a great self-contained story and setting easily consumed and enjoyable enough to remember. The second game is objectively better but it cannot be fully appreciated on it's own. The third game does a few things right but most of it falls flat and there are multiple inconsistencies and just general things about it besides the obvious that does not leave a good impression. First game. Definitely, even though the second one is superior in both presentation and gameplay.
>>
>>1772748
I agree thoroughly
ME1's Roleplaying and squad elements got shafted super hard on 2&3, ME1's shooting feels amazing, each weapon holds a ton of weight and the movement is slow and more precise, however I feel ME1 is dated in a ton of aspects from the UI to the gameplay elements like ammo types which are never really explained well
In my opinion, ME2 shouldve been a spinoff where Shepard works as a merc for Cerberus, 2 is a great game but it really doesnt work at all as a sequel.
>>
>>1772738
1 has best worldbuilding, 2 has best characters, 3 has best combat, each is also flawed in several ways
>>
2 > 3 > 1
>>
Overall story
1 > 3 > 2
Sidestories / Character stories
2 = 3 > 1

As an RPG
1> 3 > 2
As an action cover based shooter
3 > 2 > 1

Gameplay
3 > 2 > 1
OST
1 > 3 > 2

1 is the most complete package. 3 is the best gameplay wise and has a very strong story to cap off the series. 2 is middle of the road for the series through and through, and people who say otherwise are wrong.
also for the record: vanilla 3 vs 3 with all the DLC are two drastically different experiences. The DLC really fixed a lot of the issues that plagued 3.
>>
Honestly I could boot up andromeda and have fun with the multiplayer for hours. I don’t think I’d enjoy the main series in 2021.
>>
>>1772738
I think I liked 3 the most overall. Had the best gameplay, story, character moments and tone. The only thing I disliked about it was the Citadel DLC. The tone seriously conflicted with the rest of the game and all the characters acted like they were being written by Joss Whedon. Also the overall story of 3 really did Cerberus dirty.

2 is probably the most consistent. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it, although I didn't like it as much as 3 because of how boring the collectors were as an antagonist.

1 was nice. Felt like the closest thing we'll ever get to a Star Trek video game when it comes to the side quests.
>>
>>1772738
The problem is that each of the three don't advance the plot in any meaningful way. While the first may be more self contained and lore consistent the second has a entirely different and separate main story from the other 2, including vastly different themes and tone.
I would say all three games are essentially the same, trying to tell the same story but in different ways making 2 and 3 basically soft reboots of 1.
The mechanics, characters, and character moments get better with each game but the plot was stagnant and retconned at best, with a deus ex machina and forced railroad at worst.
The rpg elements are a wash. The first game had such a limited class skillset choice the rpg elements are mostly a veneer over a clumsy cover shooter. parts 2 and 3 do a good job of trying to polish that turd, but a pile of shit is still a pile of shit no matter what is sprinkled on it.
story and lorefags like me will like 1. those who love characters and a passible cover shooter systems will prefer 2. 3 has the best shooting and graphics with some decent epic moments.
for the complete package i have to go with 1 despite its obvious shortcomings and jank. It at least has a coherent story and beats, solid OST, good characters, and a serviceable shooter with enough of a rpg choice system to pretend that it matters.
>>
>>1772738
Difficult to pick between 1 and 2
2 has a much more confined level design, whereas 1 seemed more overall cohesive.
3, I don't want to talk about.
>>
>>1772738
Second was the best fit for nu-Bioware. Only 15 hours or so long because EA hadn't decided that Skyrim level of time destruction was what they were selling. The best friend simulator Bioware ever made, and that was their business for about a decade. It did ruin the third game by not progressing the metaplot and handing off a bunch of major story design problems but I don't care, it's just as much ME1's fault for having a stupid metaplot anyway.
>>
>>1772738
I like 3 the best. Best combat mechanics and you get to ass-raep best girl Tali several times. I've always valued combat over story and cooming over combat.
>>
Unironically 2. Top five game ever made.
>>
>>1773353
>15 hours long
If you rush the story. ME1 is the on that takes about 10 - 15 hours if you do everything. ME2 is more like 30 - 40 for 100%, especially with DLC.
>>
>>1773514
It's the way it was meant to be played. They hid a way to do everything in one playthrough so the nerds wouldn't sperg out, but you're supposed to fumble through the suicide mission losing several people because you didn't do their loyalty mission or finish the shitty probe game and then compare with others.
>>
File: max.jpg (48 KB, 422x422)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Did they remove the refund guy dialogue in Legendary edition? I've been by that store in 1 seceral times, and it doesn't play.
>>
>best atmosphere
>some interesting choices and consequences
>suicide mission
>decent gunplay improvement albeit worse progression and powers
>good story pacing and don't have to deal with the fucking Mako
>>
File: E2XTyPtXwAciaxc.jpg (295 KB, 2048x1480)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>1772748
>The second game is objectively better but it cannot be fully appreciated on it's own
>Half of your companions get replaced by more boring characters
>copy pasted generic gear of wars combat system
>there are way weapons making the loot way worse just to make them more different and eye catching
>retarded dynamic with Cerberus when you ser them time and time again doing fucked up shit but always forgive them after your boss pinky swears that he doesn't have anything to do about it
>Boring villains
>the climax is the less original boss fight in video game history followed up by the stupid reveal of the human reaper
>suicide mission is easy as hell and even if you manage to loose a crew member fit some arbitrary outcome of your decisions save scumming is ridiculously easy on that mission
Me2 is the worst in the trilogy
>>
>>1772738
Mass Effect 1 has the most consistent story telling and tone. It's the most complete vision I'd say, even if that vision is more humble than the sequels. ME2 and especially ME3 have big stumbling blocks in terms of story telling and obvious gaps in design, despite being very polished in the areas that are finished.

I prefer ME1 because it never takes me out of the experience with bad story telling and never insults my intelligence. It feels more grounded than the sequels and hadn't succumb to fan service (as there were no fans when it was being made).
>>
I was so disappointed with Bioware's direction after DA2 I never bought that or ME3. I loved 1 and 2, but there's always this feeling of lost with 3. Is it worth another shot? Is the ending beyond redemption?
>>
>>1777555
I've never played ME3 and I don't think I ever will. What I loved the most about Mass Effect was the story telling and tone and a Mass Effect game lacking those things isn't a game I care much for. I just can't get invested when the story makes no sense and the tone is off.
>>
>>1773514
ME1 - 100% - 18 hours
ME2 - 100% - 24 hours
Based on my MELE playthroughs. ME2 isn't as long as you think.
>>
>>1777590
>ME1 - 100% - 18 hours
What in the actual fuck were you doing?
>>
>>1777555
>Is the ending beyond redemption?

Yes. You should still play it though.
>>
File: 1602884900794.png (277 KB, 494x494)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>>1777294
>tali hugging a femshep
>>
>>1777590
I'm 17 hours into my first ME1 LE Insanity run and I have only rescued Liara so far and only gotten the Asari writings done plus most sidequests, what the fuck are you doing? Speedruns?
>>
>>1778342
No, what the fuck are YOU doing? Are you AFKing in the Mako for hours on end? A 100% playthrough of ME1 shouldn't take more than 12 hours at most. And also, 99% of the game's choices and side content has no impact on the sequel, or even anything in ME1 itself.
>>
>>1778346
No?
I'm just talking to every NPC, exploring and scanning most planets, and just trying to complete every sidequest.
>>
>>1778363
Yeah, so the equivalent of being AFK. There isn't that much dialogue or that many NPCs to talk to in ME1. You exhaust the options the first time you meet them. I bet the majority of your playtime comes from revisiting the Citadel in hopes of finding some new dialogue based on previous events in your adventure, but that does not happen. Same goes for the Normandy crew. Nothing new other than one companion interaction per main mission.
>>
>>1778372
>taking in the game is equivalent to being afk
ok my man
Personally in the LE me1 took me about 22-24 hours, me2 took around 30, havent finished 3 yet
>>
>>1778346
>12 hours at most
I usually have 28-30 at the end of my runs. If you're scouring planets for unmarked minerals and thresher maws, I don't see how you can do it all in 12 hours.
>>
>>1777294
>Me2 is the worst in the trilogy
Why?
>>
>>1773214
I agree with the Citadel DLC. It would have been a nice break if somehow placed elsewhere in the story but it's incredibly jarring where they decided to put it. The writing is quite cringy but considering you've probably spent 70+ hours with most of the crew by that point, it's a nice humorous change. But if the games had that level of writing from the beginning, I don't think I'd have made it very far in before quitting.
>>
>>1777590
Damn. It took me about 35 hours to complete ME2 and I only had the Shadowbroker DLC. Why are you flying through the game?
>>
File: 1607858722974.jpg (19 KB, 500x362)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
1 > 3 > A 2
>>
>>1778188
>What were you doing?
Playing the game
>>1778342
>What the fuck are you doing?
Playing the game
>>1778955
>flying through the game(s)
I'm not, you're just abnormally slow. I gotta ask what YOU are doing that you're 35 hours to beat 2 + Shadow Broker.
There isn't that much to do in 2. There's like 5 main story missions with 1 mission for each of the companions to unlock them, 1 mission for each of the companions to gain their loyalty, and a dozen or so small little missions that take 10-15 minutes to do at a max.
Hell if I didn't spend so much time doing the scanning bullshit I could have easily beaten ME2 in like 20 hours.
>>
>>1772738
the first one
>>
>>1772738
I like rpgs so I find the first one the best, but the party is better in the second game.
Me2 could have been a cult game if they had focused on what they should have focused on.
>>
> 100% 1 in 12 hours
bullshit
https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=5698
>>
>>1772738
1 has the best husbandos and you can pretty much rock a party with the best bros (Wrex and Garrus) ASAP so that one I guess.
2 was fun in the way it's set up like BG2 though. I enjoy when RPGs throw you in a big hub area and are just like
>okay well here;s your end game goal. Go do side quests and shit for 80+ hours until you're ready to end it
Since sidequests are always my favorite part of RPGs anyways.
>>
>>1778941
Did you even read the post?
>>
3 is the best and anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves. Especially with all the DLC.
Sure, the absolute peak ending of the main story is kinda lame, but the gameplay in 3 is the best in the series, the world design is the best in the series, the characters are the best in the series, the sidequests are the best in the series, the DLC is the best in the series, it actually brings back RPG/customization elements through weapon mods and weight loadout...

Yet everyone shits on it and acts like it's one of the worst games ever because Bioware botched the ending.
>>
>>1779352
>the world design is the best
>characters are the best
>RPG elements
DId you even play ME1? Did you ever listen to the codecs?
Are constant retcons good world building to you?
>>
>>1773114
based
>>
File: Tealc.jpg (43 KB, 500x632)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Daniel Jackson. Why are there no Stargate RPGs?
>>
File: dj.jpg (99 KB, 533x800)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1780912
Well you see Tealc, here on Earth we have this idea called "return on investment" and what that means is people in corporations, you remember when I explained corporations? They are human business entities that are all considered humans as we..uh. You know what we've got a mission we're late for actually, I'll just go grab my gear.
>>
>>1779352
ME2 is my favorite, but I prefer ME3 to ME1 for the reasons you stated. ME3 was a great game that unfortunately had a weak ending
>>
File: jack_sg1.jpg (21 KB, 560x320)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1781157
wow, that's..really kind of interesting Daniel .... NOT!
>>
File: dj_perturbed.jpg (30 KB, 715x345)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1781212
Riiiight, say shouldn't you be busy, I don't know, "jacking the boots" or "shining the spit" for our mission somewhere else? Or did you stay up too late watching Alf reruns again?
>>
File: T.png (75 KB, 640x360)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>1781292
>>
>pirate legendary edition
>pick sentinel in ME1
>some geth shits shooting me from afar
>unzip sniper rifle
>expect massive sway
>absolutely no sway at all, easy headshots
am I misremembering this or did they change that in the remaster?
>>
>>1781517
They changed it in the remaster.
>>
M1 has the best main story
M2 has the best side content and companions
M3 has the best gameplay
>>
>>1778941
its a generic cover shooter with corridor levels for american teenagers to play on consoles while ME1 was a fun atmospheric rpg
>>
>>1778372
>>1778346
>A 100% playthrough of ME1 shouldn't take more than 12 hours at most

You're a pissy faggot, if you 100% ME1 in 12 hours you are skipping dialogue/not exploring. Why you'd play an RPG of all things like this is beyond me.
>>
>>1780912
>>1781157
>>1781212
>>1781292
>>1781347
yikes...
>>
Cure the genophage (paragon path) in ME3 is the most Kino mission in the franchise
>>
>>1783544
It's frustrating how 3's combat is wrapped up in so many stupid missions. I would have loved to see that combat system in any of the main quests from 1.
>>
>>1783693
pretty much. being out of cover for 4 seconds gets you killed is annoying. I'm going through again from scratch as solider class cause i royalty fucked up in me3, and my adept was just gunning things down anyway.

come to think of it, stacking biotics is the only way to make it op. just doing it alone is boring and time consuming.
>>
File: edis new body.png (3.88 MB, 3440x1440)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB PNG
>>1772738
1>Andromeda>2>3
>>
>>1786195
Posts like these should be a bannable offence in this board.
>>
>>1772738
They are all trash, honestly.
1 is probably the best-realized as RPG (albeit still not a very good one), but has mediocre-to-horrible gameplay and terrible repetitive side-content if you take a single step outside main story progression.
2 is a step-up in character writing, but a hideous casualization and trivialization in everything else.
3 takes everything that was bad about 1 and 2 and combines them in ultimate masterpiece of shit. It's as much "RPG" as Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. And writing is complete garbage even outside endings.
Haven't played Andromeda.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.