[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Deus Ex.png (623 KB, 600x745)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>
Fallout 2
>>
Skyrim
>>
Baldur's Gate 3
>>
You know what’s better than Deus Ex? Some crappy obscure CRPG from the early 1990s that can’t be played on modern computers. You know the one. Trust me, it’s good. Nobody can ever play it again, that’s why it is good.
>>
>>1765330
>from the early 1990s that can’t be played on modern computers.
Name one. Just one.
>>
I can't
>>
>>1765208
This
>>
>Deus Ex
>RPG
>>
Curretly playing it. It's relly good, but it starts dragging on a bit.
>>
>>1765170
Dude Sex: HR
>>
>>1765170
I can't, there isn't one.
>>
>>1766103
if you don't level your skills then you have to either be really good at stealth or sprint through the levels and hope you don't get gunned down.
>>
>>1765330
Homie just use dos box!!!
>>
>>1765170
Betrayal at Krondor
World of Xeen
Might and Magic 3
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 1 - 2

There are plenty of games better than Deus Ex. It's pretty good, though.
>>
File: well.jpg (27 KB, 1280x720)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1765208
>>1765218
>>1765293
>>1765330
>>1767321
>>1768270
>>
>name a better WRPG
>>
>>1765170
Deus Ex Human Revolution
>>
>>1765170
not possible
>>
>>1770789
Of course.
Number 1: that's terror.
Number 2: that's terror.
>>
Deus Ex is a really good immersive sim and a good action RPG but it's nowhere near the best the Western RPG genre has to offer. Fallout 2 for example shits all over it in terms of actual RPG gameplay.
>>
>>1765330
zoomer detected.
>>
>>1772672
>immersive sim
Deus Ex isn't immersive or a sim, it's just a roleplaying game in first person dude.
>>
>>1765170
I can't.
>>
>>1773520
Not him, but we need to delineate games like Deus Ex from games like Final Fantasy.

Immersive sim = game where you become immersed as the character and the world is consistent.

RPG = to many things. Game with stats on characters, games with loot and XP, game with items that have stats, game with wizards and warriors, game with randomized damage rolls, game with a storyline, game with a branching storyline, etc.

Every game is an RPG at this point. CoD is an FPS with RPG elements (xp).
>>
Deus Ex is such a boomer game /v/tards just play it to quote le funny lines like american psycho
>>
>>1774507
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>1774511
you...did the thing I said they do...
>>
>>1773982
That just sounds like RPG isn't a very good descriptor of a genre and if you want to be specific you have to create a new term.
>>
Skyrim
>>
>>1774507
Nit really, the game is amazing and I still say so without ever quoting its retarded goofy dialogue.
>>
>>1765170
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
>>
>>1765170
System Shock 2
>>
>>1774646
Or maybe it's you niggers that really want to like something you don't actually like and think first person shooters are roleplaying games just because you have choices and shieeeet.
>>
>>1765170
fallout 4
>>
>>1770789
I didn't like the janky FPS combat very much. It held the game back. I get that it's a game from 2000 but other games from that era like Quake 1 - 3 and Unreal Tournament still have combat that holds up very well.
>>
>>1765330
gothic 2? ive never been able to get it to run on my computer
>>
>>1777017
>Quake 1 - 3 and Unreal Tournament
because those are not role playing games, they're arena shooters where there is no gun spread
>>
>>1777143
Just because it's a role playing game, why does the combat have to be janky? It could have been better, anon. I played it when it released and thought that it was silly that JC was missing with his pistol at point blank range. Even when you're skilled with a specific weapon, the movement of the enemies and the overall feel of the engine is clunky.
>>
>>1765218
Based
>>
>>1776812
Literally a What If Deus Ex Had Shit Level Design thought experiment. VtMB is interesting but a DIRECT downgrade from Deus Ex, it's a showcase about why certain things are more important to game creation than most people understand.
>>
>>1770818
System shock is an rpg? Is it good?
>>
>>1778161
It's just bigger in scale. It's reactivity to player choice and, do forgive me, "comfiness" of the hub world structure that people like both of these games for.
>>
File: JCDenton.png (268 KB, 432x454)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>1774522
What a shame.
>>
>>1765170
Mass Effect
>>
>>1773520
>Deus Ex isn't immersive
Why not, because there's no thirst and hunger meters? It's highly responsive to player interactions, being creative will grant you access to things more often than not. It gets you in a zone where you feel eager to investigate not just out of curiosity but because you're sure that something is hidden there.
>>
>>1767321
>>1772110
Based
>>
two worlds
>>
File: Tealc.jpg (43 KB, 500x632)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Daniel Jackson. Why are there no Stargate WRPGs?
>>
>>1765170
diablo 1 and 2, since they're the only wrp"""g"""s that aren't irredeemable garbage.
>>
Disco Elysium
>>
>you can play however you want
>non-lethal stealth proposed early as an option
>can't take down instantly with tranquilizer
>literally can't get past navarre without killing her
The original Deus Ex is unironically the worst in the series
>>
>>1772110
Human Revolution was a faint shadow of what DE was.
>>
>>1783858
What're you on about? You can use her killphrase to take down Navarre without fighting, and the fact you can pretty much kill her as early as the airport mission was a genius stroke back then.
>>
>>1765218
Based
>>
>>1768270
Good list but the Might and Magic games are the exact opposite of what I'd call "good"
>>
>>1784268
I didn't say "without fighting," I said "without killing."
>>
File: 1600731207126.jpg (15 KB, 359x398)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>First person shooters
>RPGs
>>
File: new vegas system shock.jpg (123 KB, 385x414)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1778165
Depends, not perfect, but it's a nice game overall.
>>
'Immersive sim' is a marketing term, not a genre.
>>
>>1785190
SS1 is atmospheric and immersive but the controls are clunky as fuck, even with mouselook patch, and RPG elements are lacking.
SS2 is good compromise between friendly controls, RPG elements, and story.
>>
>Deus ex is the best wrpg of all time
>no d&d Ruleset
Where is your god now “crpg” fags?
>>
>>1785201
It's a description of forklift operator or train conductor games that Germans love to play more than it is games like Deus Ex. I would never in a million years have guessed that was the game it was coined for, it's not even simulation-geared, you're playing one adventure that steadily advances from a beginning to an end, not the day to day life of a Unatco agent.
>>
>>1765170
It's not even an RPG, it's a FPS you retard
>>
>>1785338
Not even close. Just because you can shoot in the game doesn't mean the game's about that. Shooting is the worst and least important thing about Deus Ex.
>>
>>1785338
>fps can’t be rpgs
Retard
>>
>>1785338
lmao
>>
>>1785338
>game has tons of roleplaying, divergent choices and stats systems
>oh fuck the camera is in first person it's the same genre as fucking Call of Duty then bros, case closed no roleplaying in sight!
>>
>>1765170
Planescape torment
>>
>>1774507
I played Deus Ex for the first time in my life last year and I fucking loved it. I am a zoomer.

Much better than the shit churned out nowadays
>>
How is it not an fps? Because it has melee weapons? So does Halo. Because it stats? So does Call of Duty. How do you get a board for RPG fans that don't even know what an RPG is?
>>
>>1785729
How does this poster play through Deus Ex without any roleplaying? What's the strat buddy?
>>
>>1785729
You think this talking and sneaking simulator, in which shooting is entirely optional, but talking and infiltration are not, is an FPS?
>>
>game has shooting in first person
>game also has roleplaying
It's both an FPS and an RPG. Games can fit into more than one genre. Like Mario Kart, which is both a racing game and a party game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46oDDnE1Z6o

game was way ahead of its time
>>
>>1785738
What roleplaying? The entire game you just go from A to B shooting nameless goons by the dozen, occasionally using one of your little power ups. Where's the roleplaying? Do you think having three conversation options that basically all say the same thing is roleplaying? Do you think the decision between "do I want to first person shoot them from the right door, or the left door" is roleplaying? It's literally less of an RPG than Team Fortress 2. An RPG board where nobody knows what an RPG is and starts praising an fps instead, what a sight, what a site.
>>
>>1785772
This has to be bait
>>
>>1785966
Yeah, everything you don't have an answer for is bait, good call.
>>
>>1785717
This right here is a good zoomer.
>>
I actually really like the way the game handles skill. If you think about it being skilled is just a gradual unfucking of your ineptitude.
>>
The game is massively overrated, but I did just spend half an hour seeing how many different ways I can fuck with Simons' interrogation, and that was pretty fun.
>>
>>1785772
So basically you shot at everything in this game's absolutely miserable shooting mechanics, basically played through about 1 level total in this failure state (shootouts are a failure state in Deus Ex by the way) while skipping all dialogue, and then never saw the rest of the game.

Good talk anon. We definitely believe you have a worthwhile opinion of this RPG now. I hope you play your next RPG like an unthinking ape too.
>>
>>1786081
The majority of the skills are for shooting. The majority of the magic powers are for shooting. The majority of the items are for shooting. The majority of the game encourages shooting. Sneaking is purely a means to start shooting from a vent. The game is a shooter. The only unthinking ape is the retard who convinced himself a shooter is an RPG just because it's wordy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.