[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

We need more sandbox RPGs like Kenshi that aren't bogged down by main quests.
To allow the most role playing. Being a necromancer should make towns to put up bounties for your crimes against humanity for example.
Or being a Paladin should have most of your quests being purging places of demons and heretics
>>
I agree. I like the role playing aspect of Kenshi and the fact that you’re a nobody in the game unless you do something about it. Kenshis trading let me actually roleplay as a “traveling trader” that built a traveling caravan from the ground up
>>
I got bored with Kenshi quickly. I needed a decent narrative hook to tap into once in a while.
>>
>>1624397
Kenshi is good because it has the feel of an auteur; it’s buggy but every aspect of it has its creators distinct personality. This makes its setting alone good enough to RP in. Most games are too generic for this.

I wonder how he’ll try to balance stealth/thievery in 2? It’s op in original, but worrying too much about balance is the bane of flavor.
>>
its pretty strange how many more mechanics most old rpgs have over modern games. its almost like big studios are purposely making games worse
>>
>>1625079
It's laziness and wasting money on useless shit like voice acting and graphical fedelity. Baldurs Gate will age just as well if not better than shit like Divinity because it isn't trying to emulate reality in a shitty perspective for doing so.
>>
>>1625079
They are purposefully making them worse, because more streamlined RPGs garner a wider audience which pays more money. It's not rocket science, it's the reality of any company with shareholders to please. Do whatever makes more money than last time, all the time.
>>
>>1625110
People don't ever make things purposely bad.
They are focusing their money and priorities on shit that doesn't matter like graphics and voice acting, because Skyrim/Fallout 4 feature those and were very successful
NV for away with it through massive effort and an actual will to create something quality.
>>
File: 46tkl5fd90241.png (327 KB, 680x672)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
>>1624397
>Being a necromancer should make towns to put up bounties for your crimes against humanity for example.
Das racis, y u light lovers hate the darkie-ness do much?
>>
>>1625130
>People don't ever make things purposefully bad
Well of course not. You're assuming that I meant they believe what they're doing is bad. They don't. And it isn't, given what they're trying to do: make successful games first and foremost, deep RPGs second.
But the reality of that for people who enjoy classic RPGs is games constantly moving away from the things they played RPGs for and becoming worse for it.
>>
That's what Dwarf Fortress adventure mode aims to be, maybe it'll be somewhat close to it in another 10 years. Kenshi would benefit from quests as a guide to fitting into your role and providing some level of progression to the party's story. You can run drugs but you'll never get a reputation as a mule; freeing slaves doesn't endear you to the anti-slavers or rebel farmers; mongrel guards don't say anything if you've got an inventory of fog prince heads (Arc doesn't have any dialogue at all despite being a legendary figure); cannibal hunters don't even react if you take out the cannibal grand wizard. The only things major factions seem to react to are taking out local rebels/crime lords or enemy faction leaders. I think much of that has to do with the game being a little unfinished though.
>>
>>1624397
I just want rpgs where there are actual consequences for being evil instead of just "choices" like this.

1) Do good thing, get quest reward.
2) Stab a puppy for no reason, get no reward. Also half your companions will leave the party.

Especially western rpgs are terrible about this. Make necromancy and "dark" magic gated behind evil alignments where it makes you so strong you dont NEED companions.
>>
>>1625446
I always hate "evil" alignments just because I feel like I have to be comically evil and punch children or stab puppies for no reason just to get aligned as evil. It reminds of Fable. You just do retarded stuff until everyone hates you. You're not evil, you're just an unlikeable retard.
>>
File: 234433.jpg (79 KB, 800x689)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1625446
Joining the bad guy and burning all the lovingly crafted city's to the ground and revelling in the designer's tears should be an evil option, complete with incredibly hammy comic book villain gloating.

Pic related, comic book demon lord.
>>
>>1625446
I think games would benefit from dividing alignment into different components, like in Fable 2 but expanded. What kind of evil is the character? Greedy, cruel, traitorous, violent, conniving, cold? Evil characters often have reason to complete quests the "good" way since it can further their own goals, so if you want to contrast it with the good way you're just left with pointless mustache-twirling villainy.

Plus they could do a better job of showing how Batman-tier logic "good" actions can be extremely fucking stupid and make things worse for everyone. Like in Mass Effect, you have 0 reason to trust a rachni that's been in contact with reaper-indoctrinated captors but the good choice is to let it go and it has no bearing on the story except as a detail change in 3.
>>
>>1624880
Kind f how I feel. Kenshi was undeniably cool and a really well thought out and fun game but I've just never been able to get into making my own story or goals.
>>
>>1625788
I always killed the rachnai, as you said letting out the not Tyranids isn't going to end well for anyone.
>>
>>1625446
>Especially western rpgs are terrible about this
As opposed to what?
>>
>>1624397
>every town knows of your necromancy and takes a stance 100% of the time

thats about as unrealistic as every single villager turning a blind eye to your shambling zombie follower. There are obviously some towns that would accept your business because they have too many criminals on the bounty board, or literally whatever other reason a poor person could have for accepting the help of a morally ambiguous-to evil figure.

>nb4 necromancy is an abhorrent crime, despicable to everyone
>>
I want to ally myself with a small village and raise their ancestors to protect them from bandits.
>>
File: 8j68feoo6rp01.png (53 KB, 1231x681)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>1624397
>Necromancy
>>
>>1626101
>1 man session
>>
>>1626109
One man and his DM obviously, they made a beautiful story together, but the devious DM was fishing for inspiration, to make his main game better and it worked.

Fuck that must have been an amazing game.
>>
>>1626101
Based.
>>
>>1626101
>reddit spacing
>>
File: 1617836692650.jpg (58 KB, 640x572)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1626173
For the first post yes, you will have to forgive the /traditional g/aming guy for not confirming to 4chins standard.
>>
>>1626118
your fuckin cringe m8
>>
>>1626197
You are fat irl.
>>
>>1624841
I built an ore mining enterprise from the ground up, buying more and more slaves to work for me.
>>
>>1626118
1 man sessions, or basically any /tg/:storytimes are two fags fellating eachother on the game table.
>>
>>1626173
It's been on 4chan longer than reddit existed.
Not that your kind would know.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.