[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Babbys first JRPG.png (96 KB, 615x391)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
After years of playing WRPG's I played through Dragon Quest XI and liked it a lot.

Should I add/remove anything? Pains me to say it but I want to play more JRPG's
>>
Add some Ys games. It's fine to start anywhere.

Persona isn't really a fantasy setting and I don't really like it for that reason.
>>
>>1623268
If you want a modern one Yakuza like a dragon is a great rpg
>>
>>1623278
Was hesitant to add Persona, fantasy is my favorite setting and the high school setting is a little off-putting. Gets insanely good reviews though

Cheers for Ys tip
>>
>>1623268
Sky/Coldsteel are the same series, I would buy only one to try out if it is for you.

I'd say add Saga Scarlet Grace to have a fairly modern gameplay heavy JRPG aswell. Those are all more storygames.
>>
>>1623268
I cannot imagine someone that has only played WRPGs enjoying Tales or Persona.
>>
>>1623286
I personally haven't played it but the high school setting puts me right off too.
I have played Caligula Effect though because it has a school setting with a twist. It's all a simulated reality where the real characters are strapped into VR headsets. I would recommend that game if it interests you if not for the combat alone as I think it's great but everything else around it isn't so great.
If you'd rather Sci-fi then Resonance of Fate is a good one also with really original combat. The game has a very Cowboy Beepop feel to it.
>>
don't get sky AND cold steel. if you liked sky you won't need cold steel for 5 more games.
>>
>>1623268
Sky is more story heavy than anything else. If you're autistic like me, NPC dialogues reset after every story beat so you spend a lot of time talking to the same set of people to get a fuller feel for the place you're in and the people in it.
>>
>>1623268
I felt dq11 was so boring and slow. What made you like it so much? I got to the point where I had my own ship and had enough.
>>
>>1623268
You'd be better off dropping VC and buying XCOM or Civ V. Or emulating Advance Wars 2/DS. All of them are much better turn based strategy games
>>
File: 1615135369761.png (34 KB, 137x183)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>1623353
>strapped into VR headsets
where the fuck do you get that from
It's virtual world sure, but it's a magic metaphysical dimension created by ai. It's not some SAO.
>>
>>1623286
If you wanna boot Persona because no high school faggotry get Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne when that comes to PC. Same game series, very similar but better combat, post apocalyptic fantasy setting, but barely any story and what is there for story is low key retarded. Also no waifus and dating mechanics, so the game is shorter.
>>
>>1623268
Get rid of the Legend of Heroes games.
Not a meme. They're shit.
It's something like 700 hours of gameplay for maybe 10 hours of interesting ideas, story, and content.
Absolutely completely and totally not worth the time investment what-so-ever. Do not fall for the rean coolsteel memes.
>>
>>1623655
My interpretation of Mobius is that everyone logged in at some point to try it out, meaning it probably looks like some harmless contraption in the real world. It's only once they're in Mobius that most people forget about the real world. If these people aren't loved then there's no one to come by and just take off the helmet.

I didn't complete the game so I might be missing something but my assumption was it's just a video game everyone is trapped in. They enter of their own free will as either they are oblivious to what's inside or they go there to escape the real world.

Maybe in the real world nobody knows about Mobius because no one has been able to escape it.
>>
>>1623821
>Maybe in the real world nobody knows about Mobius because no one has been able to escape it.
That can't be true. People know about 4chan and you're supposed to be here forever.
>>
File: 1616371752180.jpg (20 KB, 502x492)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>ever spending more than 20 dollars on a video game
>it's a jrpg
>it's fucking cold steel
>not just pirating everything
>>
>>1623268
Remove Cold Steel, Berseria and P4G
Look at Resonance of Fate, The Last Remnant, and Final Fantasy 10
>>
>>1623268
If you really liked Dragon Quest XI, you should probably try Dragon Quest VIII (8) It's the most similar game to it.
>>
>>1623913
>The Last Remnant
They delisted Last Remnant from Steam like three years ago, when the PS4 version came out.
>>
>>1623919
That's just a free pass to pirate the (superior) original version
>>
>>1623268
Lost Odyssey is good for someone new to JRPGs.
>>
>>1623268
You should try some classics:

Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star IV
Dragon quest V
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound
>>
>>1623929
Lost Odyssey is good for someone that's a vet to JRPGs.
Lost Odyssey is fantastic.
>>
>>1623943
It's good for that too, but I think it works well for someone new. It was one of the first JRPGs on a Microsoft console, and was designed to be new player friendly. It didn't sacrifice any depth for that though.
>>
>>1623929
It's also 360 onry
>>
>>1624014
It's backwards compatible with xbox one and the series x/s. Also you can emulate it on a powerful PC.
>>
>>1624023
Isn't Xenia still plagued with issues due to its infancy?
>>
>>1624034
It's improve a lot in the last year, most of the backend has been rewritten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCuu-TMquhk

Also I think you can just stream it with xcloud. There will be some input lag, but that doesn't really matter with a jrpg.
>>
>>1623278
>>1623286
>>1623353
How can you people this naive and tunnelminded? How are you supposed to learn to like anything without trying it first? "It's not fantasy, it's high school." That's not a legit reason to not try something. You miss out because of your dumbass preconceived opinions. If you think that "a game can't be good for me if it is high school related" then you precisely need to play a great game with a high school setting so you can be shown how that setting can be interesting. Persona 4 is a great, soulful game and you are missing out.
>>
Tales of Symphonia is the best entry-level Tales of and a great entry jRPG.
>>
File: 1597460274452.png (113 KB, 340x332)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>1624061
Persona 4 is a meandering mess that can't keep its own message straight, discarding it when convenient for humour that rarely lands. Each character is a caricature, nobody grows and nobody changes.
Some of the music is pretty good, though.
>>
>>1623286
I’m like 95% a wrpg player and I loved persona 4, probably my favorite rpg of the decade. It is just a delight to play.
>>
>>1624076
And you are entitled to your opinion if you have played the game. Not every game will please everyone. But if you only play games you are looking for and don't give anything else a chance to impress you, you will miss out and you will stick in your little bubble.
>>
>>1624076
>mad faggot who thought the message was going to be “fuck your family and community, just do whatever makes you happy”
>>
>>1624095
>And you are entitled to your opinion
Which begs the question, why do you chime in and contradict this when someone says they're not interested in a game focused on its high school setting?
They're of the opinion that they won't enjoy it, but you barrel in calling them naive and tunnel-minded because they dismiss it as something they won't like.
I froth at the mouth at the thought of getting friends into Ace Combat, but I don't climb up into their ass whenever they say they're not into flight games and thus have no interest.
>>
File: 1591057904506.png (244 KB, 461x348)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>1624107
>he didn't like my barebones waifu game, I'll cram words down his throat
Stay buttmad, Purseowner
>>
>>1624110
>why do you chime in
This is a discussion and I am letting them know that ignorance and dumbass reasons will cause them to miss out. They are free to do as they wish but if their reasoning is that, they are no better than people who judge books without reading them or children who judge food before tasting them. This is common sense.

But they, too, are entitled to living their lives as they want. But in the context of online discussion, I'll let them know they should consider a wider perspective. We all were children once and I remember there was a time when I had zero interest in sci-fi until I gave something (great) sci-fi related a try. So this comes from personal experience and common sense. I seek to broaden my horizons, these people are stuck.
>>
>>1624121
>...I’ve been found out!
>>
>>1624061
>duhhh play the highschool wish fulfillment game itll make everything better durrrrrr
shut the fuck up lmao, stop nudging people towards shit games
>>
>>1623268
What you played is a classic jrpg. Those games you picked aren't. None of them. Doesn't mean you wouldn't like them, but it's quite different.

Unfortunately classic Jrpgs are basically dead, so there's not much you could get like it on Steam. You could try Final Fantasy 12, that sorta fits. But most of those games were during the ps2 era and before, with Dragon Quest being one of the very few series surviving. If you have a switch, there'd be Bravely Default 2 that released somewhat recently.
>>
>>1623286
dont buy ys the games are not rpgs theyre just shitty low budget aciton games
>>
>>1623268
All of those games will take a very long time to beat and also Berseria is trash
>>
>>1623286
Best game on the list tbqh but if you like straight fantasy settings the 3D version of FF4 is pretty gud
>>
>>1623268
Ignore all Trails games. They're shit.
>>
>>1623396
Its pretty brisk compared to other DQ games my guy
>>
>>1623268
These are all good games don't listen to the tryhard faggots on this board.
>>
>>1624781
FF12 is not a classic JRPG, you ape.
>>
>>1623939
This is a good list but two of those games have terrible steam versions and one requires a fan translation or horrible DS emulator
>>
>>1624823
It sorta is. It also sorta isn't. But there's not much better fitting stuff in Steam, other than broken mobile ports of old games.
If someone likes dq11 and gets to something like Persona next, that's like a whole different experience altogether. FF12 is at least SOMEWHAT closer. Of course, ideally it would be something like Wild Arms 3 or whatever classic jrpg you want on ps2, but that's unlikely for most.
>>
>>1624146
In the same breath I mentioned I played Caligula Effect and enjoyed it for its combat despite its school setting. Persona combat looks like Pokemon to me. I don't want to play Pokemon. High school setting also detracts me but not as much as the boring looking combat.
>>
If you like traditional JRPGs like Dragon Quest and don't mind eroge, I can wholeheartedly recommend Evenicle. It's a pretty comfy JRPG with a traditional turn based battle system where exploring the overworld is a ton of fun. It's on Steam too.
>>
File: 1618883687639.jpg (68 KB, 733x960)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1623268
Play rean coldsteels games, they are ok and there is alot of it.
>>
>>1623821
It wouldn't bug me if the game want to be ambiguous but Aria literally told you I'm bold in the early game dude.
Let me simplify for you with little spoilers as much as possible:
>Mu and Aria are basically vocaloids and gained their sentience about human emotion through internet magic because people used them and shared their songs.
>and with that, they noticed people with negative emotions so they want to make them happy
>Mobius got created, existed in basically magic realm
>People listening to their songs IRL got their "consciousness" pulled into Mobius, if the AI sensed that person had unresolved truama.
>while IRL bodies (in most cases) were in 'half-awaked' state and could perform very basic tasks to stay alive
There, that's how Mobius pulling system worked. Mu handpicked people into the Mobius herself like your protag.
>what about the losing memory
All I can tell is how Mobius you are currently in works in a 'highschool year loop' where you go throught 3 year of highschool and then get your memory wiped in 'graduation ceremony's and then circle. The reason you protag's illusion broke because they heard 'hibiki kensuke's name TWICE as 1st and 3rd year.
However, Mobius didn't need brainwashing like that when it was originally created but you have to find out why later in the game. I won't spoil you.
>>
>>1625197
>pic
hot
>>
>>1625215
One thing forgot to mention is the wave of semi-comatosed people were actually on the news in caligula's IRL world but just that the Mobius' existence itself wasn't known to the public.
>>
>>1623268
The only one I played on that list is P4 Golden. Add Yakuza Like a Dragon. It's really well done for an RPG.
>>
>>1624963
If you think Persona and Pokémon are even remotely similar you are terribly mistaken. Just because there are monsters you can teach skills to involved doesn't make them the same. Unless you want to say Pokémon and FF are the same as well.
>>
>>1624963
I thought the same thing when I first saw it. The high school setting seemed really lame and the combat didn't look good. Decided to try it and really enjoyed it. The setting fits really nice and the combat has mechanics to swap out different personas mid combat to use different moves and counter different weaknesses.

TLDR; Thought it was gay and lame from looking at it, but really liked it.
>>
>>1624963
Persona is a series focused around Jungian psychology and the occult. The plots aren't the deepest thing ever but the developers have clearly done their research and they show that off in P4Golden in an optional "lesson" where they teach you about jungian psychology. You have social links with characters, but they have a tarot card arcana theme. For example, the lovers arcana has the meaning of making an important choice in life, so a social link with a character involves a story of the character having to do an important choice in life. The gameplay is much better than Pokemon generally.

As far as JRPGs go, Persona is probably the deepest series you can find when it comes to actual research done in psychology/occult/religion/demons.
>>
>>1625274
Right

>>1625297
Still sounds a bit like Pokemon

>>1625328
Add Jungian psychology and the occult to the list of reasons I don't really think Persona is for me.
>>
>>1625376
>Still sounds a bit like Pokemon

I mean I beat every Pokemon using only the starting Pokemon. Never need to switch them ever.
>>
File: 1619255593234.jpg (43 KB, 458x572)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1625237
It's not like it could have turned out differently, with the best will in the world she only has three holes, so the other two would have had to entertain eachother.
>>
>>1623268
I think you have to be pretty deep into JRPGs to really enjoy Trails games. I'd say they're mediocre overall, but do some things really well.
Valkyria Chronicles is more of a strategy game than JRPG.
Tales of Berseria is not that great.

Persona 4 is really good though. The life sim aspects of it are divisive and it starts slow, but I think you should definitely try it as a newcomer to the genre.
>>
>>1623904
kek
>>
>>1623268
this pic is proof this board is a fucking mistake.

not a single good jrpg in the cart...
>>
>>1624797
Good to know, I'll avoid all of the rest then.
>>
OP here, added Ys Origin to the list and didn't boot Persona

For people wondering why I got Sky and Cold Steel, saw a lot of posts claiming they didn't like Sky but loved Cold Steel.
>>
>>1624797
>>1625808
That's not true at all. DQV has a very fast pace.
>>
>>1625809
those people are shitposters
>>
>>1625809
I think its a good call, Sky is good but it can be pretty old especially today while cold steel holds better
>>
>>1625819
>people with a taste different from mine?
>SHITPOSTERS
>>
>>1625828
sky has a turbo button though.
>>
>>1623286
Like that other anon said, if you don't want to play Persona because the school setting then bounce it. It may be steep, but once Nocturne comes out, you'll wanna buy that. It's still fantasy but also maintains the weird surrealist reality elements. In a number of ways it sometimes even feels like a WRPG.
>>
>>1625809
It would be really retarded to play Cold Steel before playing the older games unless you're playing it just for the memes
>>
>Shounen Fantasy
Tales of Symphonia

>Modern Japan
Yakuza 0

>Steampunk
Resonance of Fate

>Japanese High School
P4G

>Highly autistic gameplay
Atelier Arland quadrilogy
>>
>>1623281
I wouldn't reccomend Yakuza 7. I'd say Yakuza 7 is a great game despite being a mediocre RPG.
>>
add final fantasy 10 remove valkyria and Tales

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.