[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FFVI - Jump-Wait-468x.jpg (25 KB, 468x340)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
How were you supposed to know?
>>
>>1622940
The game gave you the option to wait.
>>
>>1622940
I would say this >>1622949, but there's a lot of other missable stuff on this game that I wouldn't be able to know playing blind, like getting the good ending, the real truth is most of those old games you were expected to buy a guide or some magazine for it, probably nintendo power on that case.
>>
And if choose wait once and go back, the option changes to explicitly "wait for Shadow". So that should clue you in that maybe you need to literally wait for him.
>>
>>1622940
Back then games were made for multiple replays and school rumors. The idea is that the first month noone finds out you can keep Kage alive, then someone does it and tells you on the schoolyard, you try it and it actually works! This is also the reason why many games from the time (not Final Fantasy) were quite difficulty compared to today, you were supposed to get stuck and do brainstorm meetings to come up with a war plan with your mates.
>>
>>1622940
I saved Cid and Shadow first try. >>1622957 really does tell you all you need.

>>1622952
this is very true though. I completely did not understand the betting arena, and the whole magic shield crap sucks.
>>
>>1622952
>the real truth is most of those old games you were expected to buy a guide or some magazine for it
No, you were expected to play a game more than one time.
>>
>>1622952
>expected to buy a guide
You didn't have access to millions of games at your fingertips like now. You spent significantly more time on one game so you relayed it or experimented, before you ended up buying another one. The concept of "backlog" didn't exist.
>>
>>1622940
>for replay value
>to sell you the game guide
>>
>>1622940
you weren't nigger
>>
Because by that point there has been three times the game has given you a A/B choice where you can hit the B (decline) choice multiple times until it changes the outcome of events.

Most notable you can get a Genji Glove like 2 hours into the game by doing this.
>>
File: kage-and-inu.jpg (65 KB, 950x700)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1622959
>keep kage alive

What the fuck?

>search google images for ff6 shadow
>it's all shadow
>search google images for ff6 kage
>box art for other games and some locke pictures.

Really?
>>
>>1622940
I didn't the first time. But on my second playthrough I was determined to do everything I could to save Shadow.
So I waited. I decided I would just die with him and load save if it didn't work.
>>
>>1622940
Either you convince yourself for whatever reason that Shadow will make it back to your party, or you choose to wait just to see what happens (basically accepting death).
>>
>>1622940
The game gives you an option to wait. Perhaps you should wait and see what happens. Is experimenting with options in a game such a foreign concept to you?
>>
File: 1619753833974m.jpg (81 KB, 715x1024)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1622940
You didn't own the walkthrough?
>>
File: gotta wait.jpg (18 KB, 468x260)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1622940
After you click wait it literally tells you that you have to wait for Shadow.
>>
fuck shadow
>>
>>1622957
this
>get to ledge
>"wait? why, did I miss something"
>go back for a few seconds
>decide to leave again
>notice option to wait for shadow
it's not too difficult to happen across this as long as you're being thorough
>>
>>1622952
Anon, you were LEAVING SOMEONE BEHIND by jumping off, and the game established it clearly beforehand. When you see the option to Wait, you are expected to have more than a goldfish-tier memory and that's all.
>>
>>1622940
You know what would be really cool? If you could have a fake “good ending” before Kefka kills emperor Gestahl and reveals himself as the main antagonist, whereby you fight an easy boss battle against Gestahl and watch an anti climatic (perhaps ominous) end scene. Then the next day you talk to your friends and they are like >he doesn’t know. You have to do something in order to trigger the events leading to the world of ruin, Kefka becoming a god, the real final boss and real ending. But yeah I guess I’m 27 years too late to suggest that.
>>
>>1625886
Read the whole post before replying idiot, it's obvious this one of the easier ones, but shit like the chainsaw and genji glove returner's base are obtuse shit so you can buy official guides.
>>
>>1625972
The chainsaw? Unless I'm remembering wrong isn't that the clock puzzle in Zozo? Why would that need a guide.
>>
>>1622940
Why wouldn't you wait?
>>
>>1622959
>Kage
wat
is it not シャドウ
>>
>>1622949
This, except for shit like the end of Dragon Warrior always had me wary of making frivolous Y/N responses in old vidya. Besides, you weren't expected to 100% old JRPGs on the first run, they weren't designed with that in mind.
>>
>>1626449
Yeah, japan called him Shadou.
>>
>>1623160
>>1623486
I cannot even begin to fathom the poor efforts of the sap that had to play a game where the endings were based on a long chain of dialogues you had a couple hours ago.
>>
>>1625993
>Why would that need a guide.
Because people are bad at videogames.

Unlike stat-padding missables like the gloves, the point of a feature like this is to allow the player's fears and emotions to have a real impact on the game, or "for roleplay."
You're pressured into running and escaping by a timer, but you're burdened with the knowledge that you're leaving behind a party member in doing so. You're supposed to grapple with the rising tension of the timer and the pressure you feel in making this decision. The game even hints that it's a real decision by giving you a choice at all, then contextualizing that choice the second time you make it ("Wait for Shadow" instead of "Wait...")
You're not "supposed to know," because those are words that refer to game knowledge, thinking about the game like a game instead of a story you are embodying. You're supposed to be blown away by the fact that saving Shadow is within your grasp, if only you have the guts to stay and wait for him. It's designed so that a heart-torn player waiting for Shadow in futility, letting the timer to run down and expecting to have to load from a save, is rewarded for their real emotional connection to the story with a very different playthrough compared to someone who doesn't care or chickens out.
It's honestly not even that well done (by modern standards) but it was very revolutionary for the time. Missable content and divergent playthroughs is still an idea barely explored by most RPGs, usually in a pretty simplistic way, and FFVI came out in early 1994.
>>
>>1628722
Ok, now write one for Umaro, Mog, and Gogo.
>>
>>1625949
Kek
>>
>>1625949
>beats gestahl
>kefka says holy shit its just a prank bro
>tell kefka to move the statues back to the esper world
>kefka harrumphs and tries to do so
>god.exe activated
>it was our fault all along

The blackjack being torn apart from any kind of height, and everyone surviving but being scattered all over the world, kind of implies that gestahl might have survived too. It would make sense if the party had time to go back to their respective places and tell their friends or family whats about to happen, which makes sense that everyone is scattered around. But nah. It's the wind, just blows them around the world and sets them down gently. Why would Cid, who was at Vector, end up at the house that was originally on the other side of the world near where Darryl's tomb is?
>>
File: qJs2BgK.jpg (113 KB, 1000x789)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1624873
>>1626449
Maybe I got bullied by this random encounter in FF3 so much I internalised the name.
Idk I am wondering right now which SNES rpg had a Ninja named Kage where I could have the name from.
>>
>>1628762
You're rewarded for exploring the game once new paths open up based on the story.

If 7 year old me could figure out how to recruit Mog, Umaro, GoGo, and keep Shadow alive - without using a guide - then you have no excuse.
I was SEVEN.
>>
>>1629123
Kage means Shadow in JP so you probably had some know-it-all in your little group of friends that insisted on calling him "Kage" and not "Shadow".

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.