[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

ITT middling to mediocre RPGs you just like for some reason

>cool graphics, especially environments and equips
>neat soundtrack
>just have a soft spot for NES FFs
>can emulate it on phone with just touch controls if you want
>>
File: 4rfrfy54t.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1537857
I've always liked 4HoL too, it rubs me the right way despite some really questionable gameplay decisions

Also fonly remember it for inspiring the Bravely series
>>
>>1537857
I remember this game being pretty rad except for 1 big flaw. Maybe it was that you couldnt actually control your party members or something.
>>
>>1537894
You can't fully control who your actions will target. There are certain rules like short-range weapons always aiming for enemies in the front row and healing spells affecting the ally with the lowest HP, but that's it. It's usually reasonably intuitive but can fuck you over on occasion.
>>
>>1537857
I like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, despite all games being very flawed. I'll probably give Arena a chance once OpenTESarena is finished which wont be out till another decade i bet...
>>
File: FFCC Echoes of Time.jpg (16 KB, 332x445)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Pic related. Gameplay is super fun and the story is cool too.
>>
Final Fantasy 8. It was my first console RPG and I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but the game has way too many issues with its mechanics, story, and characters. Even triple triad is messed up with the regional rules.
>>
>>1537943 here

Forgot to tell that the whole FF Crystal Chronicles is generic and fun.
>>
>>1537943
Are either of the DS games any better than the other? Like the original aside from its character progression being slow single-player. I know the Wii version of this game being 2 DS screens a in 640x480 window must be funky.
>>
>>1537964
I thought about trying CC when it came out on the eShop but most people said it hasn't aged well and isn't great single-player because of the AI
>>
Dragon Quest VI is probably my fourth-favourite in the series after V, VIII, and XI
>>
>>1537857
loved this game, a shame bravely didn't really live up to it
>>
>>1538116
Bit of a weird take there, Bravely is much more fleshed out.
>>
The story and characters are pretty juvenile and all the crafting classes use the same minigame and getting Legend rank in everything is a total slog and bosses are just damage sponges and the DLC should have been included in the base game BUT it is just so cute and relaxing that I love it so much
>>
>>1538117
didn't click with the bravely characters i guess, there weren't any memorable side characters like krinjh or rekoteh either. everything being low poly was more appealing than like.. towns zooming in and out.
>>
>>1538125
What was the DLC again? Was it the whole Greek/Roman style island?
>>
>>1538030
same man, I can't say its my favorite but I'll always have a soft spot for it
>>
>>1537857
I like the aesthetics and that’s about it
>>
Dragon Quest IX
>>
>>1538180
Did many people think DQIX was less than at least good?
>>
>>1538196
didn't everyone complain that it was too long or something
>>
This game kicked WAY more ass than it had any right to.
>>
>>1538316
It does feel a bit longish in replays, but DQ7 feels more drawn out
>>
>>1538030
I think VI is much better at exploration feels than most other entries, it's really an extended where am I supposed to go puzzle.
>>
>>1538337
Half of the time you end up finding the next area by accident, which I think is fun. Hell, sometimes it's easier to stumble across the intended destination than the NPC who gives you a hint towards it.
>>
>>1538125
I should hate it because it's just foraging, grinding, and crafting yet I loved it.
>>
>>1537857
This game is gorgeous, genuinely one of the best looking games on the DS. Shame about everything else though.
>>
File: file.png (129 KB, 336x296)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>1537857
The gameplay is super repetitive but I liked the game's whole aesthetic, esp the meta elements. I thought you, the player, acting as an intermediary between characters on the top and bottom screen was a creative idea. Also unlocking new classes was fun.
>>
>>1537932
Definitely Skyrim for me. It's bland and shallow with unmemorable dungeons and boring combat but I still like it somehow
>>
File: Spoiler Image (61 KB, 256x384)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>1537857
Rondo of Swords, ball crushingly difficult and a bit janky. Glad I stuck to it till the very end, doing both A route and B route, shit is amazing once you go B route. A route is rather typical in plot but B route starting with killing your sister to cleanse the blade from its curse then having a broken red Serdic is great. The heroine change is also unexpected because of that.
>>
>>1538384
It had a lot of neat ideas, but the non-existent combat mechanics make it unplayable for me. They could have done literally anything else and it would have saved it.
I understand the reasons people like it, but I can't stand seeing it recommended.
>>
>>1538176
I've been told the sequel is way better plot-wise, looking forward the fan translation in 10 years.
>>
>>1537857
>4 Heroes of Light
>start with one hero
>get two heroes
>get three heroes
>finally four heroes
>wait no two heroes
>okay two heroes and a guest
>wait one hero
>okay two heroes again but this time they're cats
>two heroes but they're people
>one hero
what the fuck
>>
>>1537909
That's an interesting choice. Say there's three enemies in the same row, and one's weak to fire. If you use a fire spell, can you count on it to hit the one weak to it? Or does it work differently than I'm imagining?
>>
>>1538879
kek
>>
>>1538316
No, it got a lot of backlash at release due to being a handheld game with less story focus and a chibi artstyle after DQVIII brought a ton of new fans into the series. These days it's widely regarded as one of the best games on the DS and shows up in every recommendation chart or top 10 list for the system.
>>
>>1537857
Megaman X Command Mission. I really like the music and the characters.
>>
>>1538879
And then when they've all assembled for good the game turns on adds fucked up level scaling that punishes grinding to the extent that bosses are easier when you're underlevelled
>>
>>1539193
If memory serves, if there are three enemies lined up in the same row it prioritizes left to right. With attacks you always know which enemy will be hit once you memorize which on target what. It's only healing spells whose targets are chosen situationally.
>>
>>1538125
Holy shit this. I played it cause I hacked my 3DS and was looking for new stuff and I surprisingly got hooked on it for a while. It's a pretty comfy ass game.

Also, I tried Ever Oasis because I heard it'd be similar and it was kind of ass. Just felt like not much was progressing at all.
>>
>>1538129
>towns zooming in and out
I thought that was a pretty cool effect and the towns were gorgeous, but it sucked that you couldn't go inside the houses unless they were related to the plot. Kind of made them feel more like just backgrounds instead of actual places.
>>
>>1539287
I've been noticing that with more JRPGs lately. Inaccessible buildings and, even worse, NPCs you can't interact with.
>>
Also known as Astonishia Story 2.
This thing starts with the regular JRPG tropes (despite being a...KRPG?) and then it's a twist after twist after twist, shit like you've never seen before. Too bad it ends on a cliffhanger, the sequel never came out.
>>
>>1538879
When you put it like that it was kinda weird. I didn't think anything about it at launch.
>>
File: 1617911258197.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
proto-golden sun > golden sun
>>
>>1539460
are there any other korean rpgs? the only other one i know of is arcturus
>>
File: file.png (2.05 MB, 800x1126)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB PNG
>>1539982
>>
>>1539926
Annoying how Beyond the Beyond is always 4ch's go-to choice for worst jRPG ever played.
>>
File: SFII.png (6 KB, 256x224)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Shining force 2
The story is very generic. The S in SRPG is basically nonexistent. at least fire emblem has permadeath but your members just faint at worst.
But the entire DQ-esque exploration is really nice. it feels more like a jrpg with very limited but longer and planned encounters. also the music is very nice. thank god for that bug in the english version i love my wife sara
>>
>>1537857
I don't know if I'm just retarded, but I remember this game giving you next to no direction at all. The NPCs didn't help too much either.
>>
>>1537965
IMHO the DS version for Echoes of Time is the superior version. It doesn't look like ass with the two screens in one frame (they should've just made a different UI) and it feels right at home on the DS. It's a neat game with a lot of unlockable equipment, you can create your own party members, and can combine offensive magic on the fly. The prequel is more of the same but way less polished, stick to EoT.
>>
>>1540207
I also remember it being a bit vague about where you're supposed to go at times.
Then again it kind of fits the whole old school theme it has going on.
>>
>>1540207
>>1540316
there aren't a whole lot of cutscenes to spell shit out, but if you talk to all the NPCs, they generally tell you not only where to go, but what kinds of gear to bring to counter upcoming enemies.
>>
I had fun with Miitopia for a while

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.