[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What do you guys think of this?
>>
I played one map half-drunk and it looked like a typical SRPG.
>>
>>1537634
FFT is still the king.
>>
>>1537634
So aside from being "It's just like Tactics Ogre!" what does this game have going for it?
>>
>>1537634
I liked it. Seemed like Octopath Traveler's combat reimagined for grid-based combat, in a good way. The way story progression is handled is interesting and the story itself seems like it could be good. I, personally, am really looking forward to it.
>>
>>1537634
Literally just Hanneman, Claude, Edelgard, and Dmitri. wtf
>>
File: Euppoh5VcAgQ3tm.png (2.17 MB, 1773x995)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB PNG
>>1537634
I love it, I can't wait to play the next demo.
I just hope they changed the VA for the main protagonist
>>
>>1537639
It's not like Tactics Ogre at all tho since every unit is unique.
In TO, no matter the classes I went with, they shared 90% of the skillset.
Kinda puzzled why that game is worshiped so much.

I liked the art tho, as I do with Triangle as well.
>>
>>1538210
I hope what you said was a joke of some kind.
>>
>>1537634
Really enjoyed the demo, the characters seem well-specialized and not interchangeable and I liked how units are fairly bulky, I told them not to lower the difficulty or leave the current one as an option on the survey
>>
I really liked it, but I am worried that I will get overwhelmed if they add too many units for people to use. Also I did not care for the story, but it started in the middle, so it could be better if I start it from the beginning.
>>
>>1538636
>I told them not to lower the difficulty or leave the current one as an option on the survey
The fights in the demo weren’t hard at all so I don’t think they will lower the difficulty. Octopath had no difficulty setting anyway.
>>
I liked it, the units all were fairly unique from each other and had some interesting kits. My favourite was the chocobo chick archer. Basically a mongol mounted archer but in FF, and quite usefull.
The thief having permanent double turns is quite overpowered, and I am not sure how I feel about classical aggro manipulation with tanks that can use enrage style effects.
The AP based system makes sense for a tactical game.

My only worry for the game is how little abilities each unit had. Only 3-5, basic attack included. The text blurb said that it was a mid level fight, not the opening, so maybe the game will end up with only 6-10 abilities per unit. I like my SRPGs with larger movesets than that.

Also the three route karma system looks cute on paper. Very crpg inspired mechanics, but stuff like that works well over there as long as the payoffs for your alignment are good.
>>
>>1538657
IIRC they said in the trailer that the demo had higher difficulty than the main game like BD2, so I wrote that to be on the safe side. Difficulty levels are pretty standard in SRPGs, I can see them being added even if OT didn't have them.
>>
>>1538700
>Difficulty levels are pretty standard in SRPGs
I guess they are, now that I think about. It’s just that Tactics Ogre and the FF Tactics game don’t so I tend to forget they do.
>>
Liked it a lot. I played both different scenarios in the demo. I hope the choice system actually has some major effects to the story, but I enjoyed both very different 2nd battles.

Units are all unique from each other. The only issue I have is the mages seem to be neutered, and you have to wait around with them so they can actually cast spells worth casting.

I'm excited to see more. It'll probably be a good game.
>>
>>1538818
They used to be pretty rare, NES/SNES/PS1 JRPGs almost never had them. I think they got popularised either in the PS2 era, or in the PS3 era, when JRPGs were mainly on DS/3DS and PSP/PSVita
>>
>>1537634
Squeenix trying to get in on Fire Emblem popularity. Its even called Triangle as in FE's weapon triangle.
>>
>>1538873
That's not it at all lol

FE fucking blows and they wouldn't try to get on a popularity on a series that reduced itself to a waifu weebshit trash
>>
>>1538873
>>1538210
Is this some kind of parody?
>>
>>1537634
I looking forward to see the seething and shitstorm coming from the Routes split of the Freedom Obsessed Princess, the Utilitarian Counselor and the Stick in ass self-Righteous Prince
>>
>saltiron war
really? fucking really? that's the best you could come up with?
>>
>>1538885
Why? Square Enix games have not been particularly great in the recent years. At least when it comes to gameplay. It might just be time.
>>
>>1539096
Wait until you find out how imaginative the names we have for historical wars.
>>
>>1539096
I mean its kinda lame bit both thosee resources were extremely valuable back then, especially salt.
>>
>>1539129
They haven't but thinking that they're copying something random like FE simply cause of the word "triangle" is a loooong stretch.
>>
>>1538620
Because riding Matsunocock and being an originalist combined makes for some powerful autism
>>
>>1539180
No Russo Japanese Mega Hyper War 2?
>>
>>1539180
War of spanish sucession ain't a good name?
>>
>>1537634
You know how I could tell that this was a Square Enix game?
The artwork.
>>
Couldn't they have thought of a title that isn't so retarded?
>>
File: 92875891597.jpg (84 KB, 561x741)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1539420
Retarded names are part of the brand
>>
>>1539456
Calling it now: Mystery Navigator
>>
>>1539456
Why are they so obsessed with having the same amount of letters in both words
>>
>>1539565
You wouldn't get it.
>>
>>1537634
I like the loyalty thing which is like Tactic's Ogre, but other than that, it's a TO with worse art, music and way worse dialogue/writing.

I like the pair-up attack thing where you get two attacks if another unit is opposite of the enemy, though.
>>
File: Medina.png (263 KB, 685x281)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
>>1537634
She’s gonna get all the fanart
>>
>>1539565
Symmetry is beatiful graphically.
>>
>>1539862
For me, it's Hughette
>>
>>1539626
The gameplay seems much better than in any Tactics Ogre game
>>
>>1538689
>how little abilities each unit had
don't they level up and gain more abilities? I saw one player on youtube max their levels to 50 but I didn't check if they gained more abilities
>>
>>1539862
you mean anna
>>
>>1541040
They do, I had all but two characters gain a new ability after leveling up during the first map
>>
>>1537634
a bit offtopic but I'm gonna ask anyway
I heard this same team(?) will be working on an octopath sequel right after they're done with the mobile game. I can't tell if that's a mistake on translation but is there an actual octopath sequel in the works or are they talking about triangle strat as the next game they're doing?
>>
I'm going in with high expectations and I'm ready to be disappointed.
>>
The art really looks nice. I wish they'd release more artwork or at least a full body shot of the characters. I want to draw them sometime
>>
>>1537634
Does the game have any amount of exploration?
>>
>>1541372
the demo let's you move and interact around the battle map

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.