[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Firebolt_fps_view.jpg (406 KB, 1920x1080)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
What's something at least halfway fun I can play a somewhat deep mage playthrough with? Something where I can learn more than 10 spells, where the spells do more than just 10 flavors of blowing stuff up, where I maybe have to work to learn spells not just get it natively by leveling.

I guess I want to play a mage but also want to actually feel like its something different.
>>
>work to learn spells
I haven't played it, but I think Arx fatalis fits the bill. To cast magic you need to draw runes on your screen. You need to memorize the runes yourself.
>Something where I can learn more than 10 spells, where the spells do more than just 10 flavors of blowing stuff up
Relevant to your skyrim screenshot you should consider looking into magic overhaul mods for skyrim. Hell, in vanilla oblivion, morrowind and daggerfall you can make custom spells.
>>
>>1536565
Should it be arpg? Or crpg?
>>
>>1536680
Either is fine, I'd prefer slightly an arpg just because I like being able to directly control my character in such a way.
>>1536596
Genuinely was considering modding Skyrim or playing Oblivion/Morrowind. I was just trying to avoid playing them as I've played all three way more than enough and I'm kind of sick of going through some of the motions of each at this point.
>>
>>1536565
Tyranny has a fun custom spell system where you have to actually look for the components in the world. Your level only determines the max combined power level of the spell you make.
>>
>>1536565
Dark Messiah
>>
>>1536565
>Either is fine
Then I can recommend the Pathfinder Kingmaker. The game has its problems, but magic is fine. 90% of the game you will most likely control the caster while the rest are on auto-attack. The selection of spells and classes is large so you can do a lot with the builds. There are 3 pure mystic casters in the game, each with 4 subclasses, and there are 4 more prestige mystic casters. If this is not enough, then there is also the Call of the Wild mod.
+ Quite a good story and interesting companions. Oh... and dlc with infinitely generated dungeon.
>>
File: in verbus vertis.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>1536565
Haven't played these, but they're on my list

Lichdom Battlemage

CodeSpells

In Verbis Virtus
>>
Morrowind
Daggerfall
Bloodborne (lower amount of spells than souls, but more interesting overall imo and some really neat stuff for people who go the pure arcane route) PS4 exclusive unfortunately
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, although I feel it takes a little while for the spellcaster route to get going
>>
>>1536690
Skyrim perk overhauls such as Ordinator make magic much more fun and varied. Basically all I do in the game now is make DnD classes.
>>
>>1536565
Legend of Grimrock is a party based dungeon crawler. Mages cast spells by drawing a combo of up to 4 runes on a 3x3 rune grid. In order to know the combos you either need to find them on scrolls scattered around or guess them.

Unfortunately you don't learn a whole load of spells since you can only cast spells from schools you have enough points in and in the game it's generally better not to spread your skills.
>>
all DnD based games
>>
Tyranny actually has a unique spell system that is similar to what you want.
>>
>>1536596
Arx is great, but the rune drawing can be a massive fucking pain sometimes and Arx Libertatis only slightly improves its recognition.
You still need to find the runes before you can draw them though, besides a handful of secret runes that can cast spells which range from comedically hindering to basically cheating.
>>
>>1536565
As one person said, you'll have to dig deep into the past all the way to Arx Fatalis, Morrowind.
There is one game that fits wizard good but its more like FPS.
>>
>>1536690
A nice up and coming magic related mod for skyrim is Dealing with Daedra.
A large theme of it is being able to RP as a person with little magic potential using alternate sources to obtain power.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/40494
>>
>>1536565
Baldurs Gate (specially 2) is the ultimate mage power fantasy game. Alternatively, anything D&D or Pathfinder based works too (NWN, Planescape, Kangmaker, etc), but nothing comes close to the sheer power and variety of a high level mage in BG.

If you don't mind something more retro, you should look into the Ultima games as well, as they usually had excellent and in-depth magic systems. 4-7 are all great, as are Underworld 1 and 2.
>>
>>1540792
I'm trying to experience all these older titles like BG 1/2 properly since I never had the fortune to play them earlier in my life- but I remember someone saying the "enhanced editions" were complete cum covered rip-offs, is there a way I can get the originals or are those long gone?
>>
>>1540808
There is a mod I believe that removes much of the beamdog content

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.