[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1596486412324.png (254 KB, 266x377)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
How do I get into this? It's just not grabbing me. I'm like 4-5 hours in and I've basically just forced myself through it so far. I don't get the appeal. The combat is shit since it's just spam left click, but I don't mind that usually. It's just that I'm not even given the opportunity to experiment. I can't respec and levelling up takes a while. I'm just stuck with this build with no choice.
But that's not the point, right? The story and characters are meant to be the selling point. Except the game isn't even half that? It's mostly just completing the quests? And even then the dialogue is only good by video games quality?

>inb4 it's not for you
But I want to like it. I want to get the appeal. I don't want to just discredit everyone that likes it as being a shit taste retard. There have been times before where I've been playing games wrong, asked for some help, and then gotten immersed and finished them while having a lot of fun. Is there anything I'm missing here?
>>
Let me let you in on a secret.

This is the single most overrated rpg that gets skilled on 4chan. Before I played it myself I listened to the fanboys on here and I thought I was about to play the greatest rpg ever by the way they described. Then I actually played it for myself and discovered it's an incredibly overrated and unfinished game. It's hardly even an rpg
>>
>>1534509
Bloodlines is AMAZING if you find it in 2010 and can't for the life of you figure out how you've never heard of it and how the graphics aged so well. It's shit if you're told how great it is for years by everyone first. It's the "best of the forgotten" by miles but not supposed to be front and center. Just a good aesthetic from an older time.
>>
>>1534509
>the appeal
90s/00s gothic setting, gothic girls with big tiddies, fun characters. That's literally it. It's a shitty, janky unfinished mess that I enjoyed. Same goes for Redemption.
>>
>>1534509
omfg you retard stop playing if you don't like it
>>
>>1534509
What clan are you playing currently?
>>
it kinda feels like deus ex but also what >>1534545 said
>>
>>1534509
Protip: stop playing games you don't like. Play games you like. Stop crying about not liking a game when you want to. Though shit, that won't make you like it.
Fucking cretin.
>>
File: vtmb melee manual.jpg (196 KB, 496x692)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>1534509
>The combat is shit since it's just spam left click
No it's not. Not even just all the stuff you can do with melee, you still have stealth/disciplines/feeding to use during combat. I do wish the tutorial explained the melee mechanics more though, because a lot of people think there's nothing more to it.

>I can't respec and levelling up takes a while. I'm just stuck with this build with no choice.
If you really want to respec you can use consoles commands. "vstats sell (stat)" where you replace (stat) with whatever you want to refund will give you the points back.
>>
>>1535475
The problem with the combat is that you can get by by being UNGA BUNGA and this is encouraged since at the start of the game you cant do little else than boring tedious UNGA BUNGA and people dont bother to experiment with the disciplines because they have already written the combat off as an annoyance already
>>
File: 1432160489661.png (317 KB, 453x604)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
>>1534545
>>1534536
This. What newfriends don't seem to understand about these types of games is that they carry a certain level of nostalgia for those who like them, but it's well deserved. You have to take your time to enjoy the great soundtrack and art direction and the shady characters you meet. Plus comfy stuff like listening to the Deb of Night or watching TV (or talking to it kek). Also some clans have more combat options than others and whenever possible you should go for stealth and/or feeding. It's not great combat, but if you're only playing it for that or for the story you won't necessarily enjoy it.

tl;dr it has S O U L, unironically.
>>
>>1534509
You don't play VTMB for gameplay, you play it for the story and the characters.
>>
>>1534509
>How do I get into this? It's just not grabbing me. I'm like 4-5 hours in
Stop. Just stop, if you're not enjoying a game. This is admirable persistence but if 4-5 hours into a game, you should be enjoying it if you are ever going to.
>>
>>1534509
You go back in time when being a trashy goth was a thing and acquire for yourself a low self-esteem gf
>>
>>1534742
It's Deus Ex without good level design supporting it. Playing it should make you understand why Deus Ex is more than just a pile of good open-ended playstyle mechanics (VtMB's mechanics are if anything even better); it's actually carefully made from start to finish in the levels themselves to actually use its mechanics and playstyle variety properly, and VtMB flat out isn't.
>>
>>1536414
Absolutely not this. It's very generic modern vampire story stuff and every single character is too. You play it while the gameplay lasts and drop it when you're not having fun anymore, simple as.
>>
it’s for people who find bioware “not gay enough”
>>
>>1534509
its not for everyone, if you want a game with more broad appeal, just pick out any dull grey gruel they are passing off as games today.
>>
>>1534536
I was told how great it was for years and only first played it in 2019. I enjoyed it a ton and was fully immersed in the first zone. OP doesn't enjoy the game simple as
>>
>>1534509
in the old days (even the not so old days) if you wanted to respec you had to start a new game.
>>
>>1534509
it's really not that good. the unique setting for an RPG is all it has going for it. Deus Ex, Fallout, PS:T, etc. are all infinitely better
>>
>>1534509
>not even given the opportunity to experiment. I can't respec and levelling up takes a while. I'm just stuck with this build with no choice
You chose that build. That was your choice. Now you have the consequences. If you can just change builds, you didn't really make a choice. That's what an RPG (role-playing-game) is.

Your character is a certain type of person. They will have to play to their strengths in order to succeed. You could also just not try to 'win the game', and have your character bumble through the main story while fighting their own nature, which is a theme that would make sense for a vampire story. I'm guessing you're not interested in that, though. Everyone has their own preferences, bloodlines is an old school rpg in 3d. I will add to the refrain: Don't play it if you don't like that shit.

> I don't want to just discredit everyone that likes it as being a shit taste retard.
And for fuck's sake, don't call everyone else a shit taste retard. Accept that you don't get it and focus on the things you care about. There are enough illiterates doing single-word posts on this board already.
>>
>There have been times before where I've been playing games wrong, asked for some help, and then gotten immersed and finished them while having a lot of fun. Is there anything I'm missing here?
For me, it's the characters, the dialogue, the "mature" setting and tone of the story, and all the comfy little things that the devs put in here and there, seemingly purely out of love for the project. If you don't appreciate things like that, then you won't get much out of VTMB.

>But I want to like it
I can understand that, since I tried to like Pillars of Eternity just enough to keep playing it, but couldn't. Just move on.
>>
>>1539300
>They will have to play to their strengths in order to succeed.
I like this game, but you're giving its level and boss design far too much credit. You have to play to the strengths that are viable, and if you spec'd ones that are not viable, you do not get to just "play to your strengths", you just lose and may have to start over because the game doesn't provide enough alternative solutions to things.
>>
>>1534518
>single most overrated rpg that gets skilled on 4chan
Bullshit. That easily goes to either Morrowind or New Vegas. Bloodlines isn't even in the same league of overration.
>>
>>1541328
Yeah, true, the game is definitely not fully complete and lacks a lot of polish/balancing. That mostly shows later on in the game though (such as the infamous 'shit I never put any points into combat skills' turning point). OP isn't there yet and is asking for help trying to understand the base level of appeal. The game is far from perfect, players love it for what it tries (and sometimes succeeds) at doing. Also due to things that were unparalleled at the time, such as facial animations and atmosphere and expressive style.
>>
Bloodlines is one of the best RPG ever made.
>>
>>1534518
>unfinished
You're telling me no one warned you about this? I don't believe you.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.