[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1610794841355.png (2.11 MB, 1024x1024)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
Will there ever be an RPG with even half the storytelling of this game? It's kinda funny that vanillaware with their first visual novel/game hybrid shits all over the three games Atlus made in every single conceivable way it's kinda sad.
>>
>>1533860
13 Sentinels is more a crazy art project by Kamitani and his crew than a real game = commercial product. Atlus literally said that they're fine with it not making any money. Most game companies straight up can't afford to do something like this, it was only made possible because Atlus was willing to fund it and wait for years, and even then it only ended up with half the content it was originally slated to have. Go read the interviews.
>>
I thought the story was pretty meh.
Just in the sense it wasn't really my cup of tea even if it shouldn't. I just didn't really like the direction of the twists and when I got to the ending, I just felt kinda "that was it?" I can appreciate the beauty and ideas of it. Objectively shit's a 9/10, but for me. It just didn't click chief. The gameplay itself also kinda sucked and was a huge afterthought that they might as well scrap it and put more development time and money into the VN portions. Speaking of it honestly did kinda feel to me that there was a shit load of development issues while playing through the game. It's not that anything was missing but again most of the time I was just left feeling "that was it?"
>>
>>1534027
I think the idea behind the ending is that versions of this story are playing out everywhere the human seedships landed.
>>
>>1534156
Yeah. That just made it feel less special.
Why would it matter if they failed if pod #643789150 succeeded instead? Yes I get it it's "their" story but in the whole scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. One of them is eventually going to succeed hopefully.
>>
>>1534167
I actually agree, it also makes thing feel a bit horrific to me because it feels like these characters suffering will never end. I get the idea behind it and it was foreshadowed and everything, but it de-valuate the story a bit, especially given a lot of the current last loop was pretty much played with the idea the characters were fixing and not repeating the mistakes their original made (Ryoko not fucking everything again, Hijiyama and Okino's reincarnation romance, Juro keeping his promise to protect Megumi, etc)

Also the lack of post epilogue stuff is frustating.
>>
>>1534027
>. Speaking of it honestly did kinda feel to me that there was a shit load of development issues while playing through the game
I think it's mostly toward the end. Like Okino and Morimura's connection is totally out of nowhere and doesn't get amount of story it could have.
>>
>>1535758
>>1534167
I dunno, I kind of liked it. For me, that it was "their" story is what mattered to me, since I'm not very invested in the survival of humanity as a whole in a fictional universe. That being said, it definitely seemed like either sequel bait or alternate universe bait.
>>
File: 29ySAy_y0sQ.jpg (1.02 MB, 1450x2048)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>1536123
I doubt we'll ever see a sequel, the story felt super conclusive. They can't even bother to release some 2188 stuff or an more lengthy epilogue.
>>
File: 6h24h646.gif (320 KB, 105x102)
320 KB
320 KB GIF
>visual novel with a battle system that gives people the exact opposite of what they want with giant mechs
>>
>>1533860
>>
>>1536941
After you get to the harder maps and you play on intense the gameplay makes sense.
>>
>>1533860
Xenogears is basically as stupid as this game, so that
>>
>>1533860
13 Sentinels only real thing working for it is how bonkers and weirdly serious it's story.
It's the only story I can think of where a japanese nationalist traveling in time because he fell in love with some cross dressing man.
>>
>>1533860
What a queer question. It’s a visual novel, of course it has storytelling, it’s the one thing it should have, besides pretty graphics. I think Atlus is more concerned on the gameplay side of things and it seems be paying off for them, it’s bizarre to compare visual novels with very little RPG elements to actual video games, fully designed as RPGs.
>>
>>1538712
Persona 3-5 are just as visual novelly as this game. Especially 5, where gameplay is only 20% of the game.
>>
>>1533860
>love vanilla ware for the beautiful 2d graphics merged with great story telling and amazing almost arcade style action rpg combat.
>wait for years to see what gem they will drop
>They drop this turd instead

very disappointing
>>
>>1538745
>Persona 3-5 are just as visual novelly as this game.
Not really. Besides, those ‘visual novel’ segments are part of the gameplay, SLs directly influence your options in and out of battle: your available personas, the items shopkeepers stock, how much do they cost, your party members skills, your ability to explore dungeons and for how long before your sp runs out, etc. Can’t say the same about 11 Sentinels, at least not to the same extent.
>Especially 5, where gameplay is only 20% of the game
Patently wrong, even if you consider interaction between characters non-gameplay.
>>
>Manliest man in the story
>Canonically fucked another man in the ass and will fuck his asshole in another life to
>>
It had no sex scenes in it so I didnt bother.
>>
>>1538975
Feels like 2188 scenario would make a pretty good survival/wolf game
>Find the traitor
>Discover what caused the fall of humanity
>Stop Ryoko from fucking everyone up because Ida is dicking her too hard
>Every time Okino dies Hijiyama goes rampage and it's game over, gotta keep him alive
>Find who is dicking who
>Obligatory little girl Megumi who has nothing to do with the story and the survival game
>>
>>1538833
P5 not only has a similar ratio of VN/gameplay, it has quantitatively more dialogue and more reading for a much worse story and worse characters.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.