[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the gang.jpg (263 KB, 1139x800)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Why do people not like DQVI? It brought back vocations, the concept of dream vs reality is cool, the music is great, and the characters are fun. It may be rough around the edges at times, but it is still a good game.
>>
>>1533455
Agreed, even though not much about it really stands out, it's still enjoyable
>>
The common complaint is that it's too cryptic, though I don't know if it's any worse about that than the other retro (as in pre-7) Dragon Quest titles. The SNES title also has an extremely solemn atmosphere to it that some find gloomy and boring, though I found it really atmospheric and love the graphics and music.
>>
I honestly have no idea, as I love it way more than DQ4/5 which tend to get more love.

>>1533523

Hell they put an NPC specifically to give you tips on where to go! (the fortune teller old lady)

This game is awesome and imo only second to DQ8 (I haven't played 11 yet)
>>
>>1533455
It just doesn't have much to make it stand out, and coming between one of the most fondly remembered games in the series with 5, and the absolute fucking juggernaut 7, and out of the pre-modern series is the game with the lowest number of actual releases to make it available to potential fans.
>>
I'm still playing this game. Only just got the bed, but stopped for a while.

How far am I from the end? Should I power through?
>>
>>1534957
You're like two-thirds through
>>
>>1534966
Oh good. Didn't really feel like I was making significant progress, and had no real feel for how far I was from the end. That's good to hear, I'll probs pick it back up soon.
>>
It's the least popular game in japan, consistently at the bottom of popularity lists
>>
>>1533455
They wanted to grab the audience that was leaving Dragon Quest in favor of Final Fantasy (both DQ 6 and FF 6 came out in similar time frames) so they decided to make DQ 6 all about the drama. The story is boring, the characters are boring, and the character developments is even more simplified than in any other DQ game.
>>
File: peak writing.png (137 KB, 480x320)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>1535225
Weird, since the writing in FF games wasn't that good to begin with. FF5, for example, is just a bunch of cliches mashed together, and the story itself doesn't even take itself seriously at times (though this may be a translation issue). People always use this argument against DQ when the same applies to a lot of FF games
>>
>>1535575
DQV has an absolutely fantastic story that does not have to hide itself from any FF, so his argument is just total bs.
>>
>>1533455
The vocation system is complete poop. There are also a bunch of other issues here and there, and a pretty shitty ending altogether, but really. The biggest deal breaker is how bad vocations work.

The thing with dragon quest is, you mostly get by without grinding. If you need to grind, you do that with any kind of metals. The vocation system basically made that impossible, as you also need battle amounts now, and against "fairly equally strong enemies" on top of it. That's just a waste of time.
On top of it, it's not balanced at all. Half the vocations are really terrible. Should you actually master a few of these, you also get way too long skill lists, because someone figured it's a good idea to give every character everything they ever learned. (that can be up to over 100 skills, spread over pages with 8 skills each) Finding the few useful skills is getting harder and harder. Most things are just really terrible and never useful.

Most of the game also feels like it has absolutely no direction. You just.. do things. Because. I wouldn't really have minded anything like that, but with how crappy the vocation system was, and how fucking LOW HP of any magic user was in the game (and enemies love to attack the back characters), DQ6 was mostly just one thing: Annoying.
I don't hate it. But it's very meh.

Also this is all pretty fresh to me because I literally finished the game less than a week ago.
>>
>>1533455
I like it.
It has a big world to explore and requires you to remember/note things on your own with little handholding.
>>
>>1535633
>The vocation system basically made that impossible, as you also need battle amounts now, and against "fairly equally strong enemies" on top of it. That's just a waste of time.

Thing is, you're not supposed to grind for vocations. The game is long enough for characters to completely master them naturally, without the need to do more battles than necessary.

Also, the sole purpose for grinding them is to get abilities faster and get to intermediate vocations faster, all of which are not really necessary to progress.

If you choose to grind because you want to level up your vocations, then that's your choice, not the game's.
>>
>>1535633
Sounds like you're just shit at the game. You shouldn't need to grind (levels or otherwise) in any DQ. If you chose an unbalanced party formation when choosing vocations, that's on you.
>characters with stats leaning towards magic/support classes have low HP
Whoa, what a revelation. Did you notice their Defence was lower, too? Maybe you should give them a magic/support path instead of forcing them down a physical one. Or just bench Ashlynn since you have better options. It sounds like you want everyone's stats/equipment to be homogenized, and that's a fucking awful idea.
>>
>>1535750
>you're not supposed to grind
>in a Dragon Quest game
It doesn't get a pass to just not be fun because it isn't mandatory jackass. DQ9's vocation system is a fucking blast to grind in, 6's is not. It's not even fun playing without grinding, vocations like ranger suck dick and require mastery of 3 beginner tier jobs for some inexplicable reason.
The game's filled with annoying shit. You figure Ashlynn should be built as a mage considering she's literally a mage, but she's less effective than a sheet of paper if you don't give her a job with substantial HP increases. Monsters are way more resistant to status effects across the board, that or they're just less effective in this game, so strategy amounts to hitting hard and fast and healing when necessary. Staff of Ghent encourages the worst gameplay loop imaginable and you get it super early.
There's a massive schism between spells and skills because most skills don't cost any MP and spells aren't influenced by the wisdom stat yet. The multiple world gimmick FUCKING SUCKS. It's a nonlinear title where you have to remember completely arbitrary points where the two different world maps link together in order to navigate it, and on top of that they throw a fucking underwater map in too. They even manage to make a nonlinear world feel linear with the 6+ different vehicles they use to gate your progress every second. Not every place has a mirror in the other world, so what is the actual logic of the dream world? Why does Somnia castle exist in both, but Jamirus's castle replaces Ghent in the dream world?
On top of all of that, the game has the shittiest sidequests/distractions. Garbage stealth mission in the sea cave, the faggot that disguises himself 3 times in the slum town, the mandatory style quest, all make me reconsider every time I think about giving the game another chance. Also EOP are forced between playing the OG version with a terrible fan-translation, or the DS one that looks and sounds terrible.
>>
>>1536179
lmao the dq6 defense force.

>You shouldn't need to grind (levels or otherwise) in any DQ
imagine making it so obvious you've never played any of the NES titles while still pretending you're an expert on the series

>Maybe you should give them a magic/support path instead of forcing them down a physical one.
ironic considering the very thing he's complaining about is that ashlynn is awful as a mage. You'd have a better experience making her a warrior when you first get her.

>It sounds like you want everyone's stats/equipment to be homogenized
nothing in that post implied this. you're reaching hard af.
>>
I always thought VI was great and deserved more love, desu. It does have the misfortune of being sandwiched between V and VII, which may have something to do with people not caring as much for it.
>>
it feels unfinished
like what was up with the dragon?
>>
>>1533455
> It brought back vocations
and ruined the system. you have to play the game for hours before you even get access to them (so the already boring early game of a jrpg is just using attack and the handful of abilities the characters inherently get) you have to grind out 100's of fights to generally have way less abilities than an equivalent dq3 class that went through the same number of fights would (melee characters have more going on than dq3 but most of their abilities are just really generic modifers to your basic attack). the way swapping vocations works sounds better than dq3 in theory but then you realize that lots of vocations just give you extremely similar abilities, stuff thats worse than the default a character learns, or literally nothing when they level up to one of their tiers.

it's also really fucking annoying when you get new party members after unlocking vocations and they show up with way less stuff than the characters you've had the whole game so they feel way worse, the remakes tried to address this but they still end up falling behind pretty easily.
> the concept of dream vs reality is cool
it's ok, feels like an excuse to reuse a lot of assets in practice
> the characters are fun
I will say this game has the best heroine of any dragon quest game by a longshot

the game just feels like filler. its very clear that chrono trigger was taking away a lot of the key developers focus and chrono trigger kinda does a lot of what this game is going for but way better. despite probably being a Better game than dq7 more people will talk about dq7 because of all its deliberately offputting and thus unique ideas, like the extremely slow opening, the most normie main character of any dq game, the dharma temple segment that exists to shit on the player or all your friends fucking off so you're stuck with a retarded dog, some bitch and an old man and also dq7 has generally better writing for its little vignettes than dq6 does
>>
>>1533455
this is the only main dq game I havent played. snes or ds?
>>1535585
>DQV has an absolutely fantastic story
I dunno. I think its more just that it has a few really great scenes that carry the game and are very easy for the player to self insert into like when your dad dies. You go from being married (to someone you barely know) to her having kids to her being kidnapped by a rape horse and both of you turned to stone in the span of like 2 dungeons and 3 hours. everything in this game just kinda happens without too much buildup, which makes it an exciting/memorable story for a video game but I wouldn't call it well written.
>>
>>1533455
the kind of job system this game and dq7 are going for doesn't work in a game where magic attacks dont scale, bosses are immune to most effects besides direct damage (unlike the rest of the series) and where most of the jobs give you pretty similar abilities anyway.

it leads to characters who have tons of moves you literally have no reason to ever use because they stopped being useful 20 hours ago as you end up doing 1 move that actually works over and over
>>
>>1536231
I wouldn't say you need to grind in nes dragon quest games either, unless you consider stupidly high encounter rates on the way of where you're trying to go "grinding"
>>
best thing about dq6 is that they used its engine for the awesome dq3 remake
>>
>>1536676
The remakes are the best way to go, so play either DS or mobile.
>>
>>1533455
Really don't know, it's the second game of the series I played (after V) and I love it.
Also I recently managed to play the original Erdrick trilogy and it gave me the feeling that VI was made with DQIII in mind, with a shitload of references and like VI trying to be for IV and V what III was to I and II.
>>
are any others set on a flat earth like XI?
>>
>>1536231
Thanks for letting us know that you rely on grinding to progress, fag
>>
>>1533455
I dislike the ending.
>>
DQ VI and VII are the best ones.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.