[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 123 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Chadbringer.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
I myself may have looked down upon them the most.
I shall entrust you with my hopes!
Even if I become known as the Wicked One, I will force humanity to open its eyes.
Only then will I complete my true SaGa Thread.
>>
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/10916-square-enix-details-additions-made-to-saga-frontier-remastered

>Additions include:
>-New eighth character route for Fuse
>-New Story Events, particularly in Asellus' route
>-New Game Plus
>-Faster Battle Speeds
>-Scenario Charts
>-Library Mode
>-Auto-Equip
>-Escaping from battles without adding to the battle count (SaGa fans will understand)
>-More
>>
>>1490039
>David Bowie wreathed in flames will never entrust you with his hopes

Feels bad.
>>
Is SaGa on Wonderswan recommended over the Gameboy version?
>>
>>1491171
Technically yes, but the GB version is still worth it for that rough GB charm it has.
>>
>>1491171
You have a meat dictionary to actually notify you of what forms you've been previously and a run button so I'd absolutely say play that version instead.
>>
>>1490949
There HAS to be a better way to upgrade pre-rendered backgrounds.
>>
File: IMG_20210326_000422.jpg (224 KB, 783x584)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
I'm still a fairly new SaGa player but Frontier Remastered getting Scenario Charts seems like a crazy good QoL addition.
>>
>>1491171
yes, it was the only tolerable way to play through it. I enjoy the gameboy aesthetic when done well, but anything that wasn't enemy sprites was poorly handled. wonderswan version looks great, and runs more smoothly cursor wise, and has a better UI than the gb version. play the translated DS versions of 2 & 3 if you get around to it.
>>
>>1491659
There is one, making new snaps of the original 3D renders.
Guess what they don't have anymore?
>>
>>1491706
Ive seen fanmade AI upscaling do better dude
>>
>>1490949
I wouldn't call any of these additions bad, but I can't say I care abiout most of them either.
Of course this is coming from someone that's already played SF quite a bit.

It is good that you can finally toss items.
Even though the inventory is quite large, it does have a limit.
Auto equip is an odd duck since having higher attack or defense doesn't necessarily make an item superior to something else.
>>
>>1491710
Such as?
>>
>>1491679
I can imagine the notes for Asellus story already
>where am I
>OW Did I just get stabbed
>White Rose is nice
>How do I get out of here
>I wish I was having dinner with the Okonagis
>Mermaids are nice
>I guess I died and now I'm a vampire
>Where do I go now?
>No seriously where do I go
>Why do I have so many stalkers
>Oh no, White Rose!
>>
>>1491724
The only thing that I dislike is allowing players to escape from battles, but it's not like Frontier is hard anyway, they're probably doing it to ease in people, and you probably won't be able to escape from magma slimes and the likes in the first place so it doesn't really change much.
>>
>>1492048
Not being able to run at all was unexpectedly hardcore for an otherwise super flexible game

I like such anachronism
>>
I have Okonagi's brain!! Can you really do it, Alkaiser? Can you kill your own father?"
That came out of nowhere, but I gotta admit, it was Tokusatsu as fuck. I appreciate that sudden splash of campiness.

Also I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more: The way Shuzer looks in art, or the way his sprite looks. I'm leaning toward the bulkier arms with the spreadable claws.
>>
File: Shuzer.jpg (51 KB, 475x623)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1492241
And the art.
>>
File: sf-alkarl.jpg (74 KB, 700x800)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1492241
Red's story is Toku kino, great villains, great designs, great twists and it has a fantastic climax too.
>>
File: alk.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1492288
>>1492241
Gotta admit, when I was a kid I don't think I really understood the theme.
Power rangers is probably the closes thing to it that ever came out of japan back then.
I just thought it was some super hero themed route.

It was still kino as fuck though.
>>
probably not the best place to ask but does anyone know if there are torrents of the stage plays out there? namely the RS2 one thats about the seven heroes, i tried searching on both nyaa sites and couldnt find it anywhere
>>
>>1491773
>I fucking hate this turnip
>>
File: 1609211307324.png (295 KB, 1424x935)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
Holy shit
>>
File: 1609969008828.png (355 KB, 1443x1027)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>1492998
>>
>>1492998
>femkatrina
get out
>>
>>1490039
Anyone know what Kawazu is up to?
He used to have a fairly high workload, but since Scarlet Grace in 2016 he didn't really make much. Did the mobile game and the remaster occupy his time?
Or do you think there is another big SaGa title in the oven?

He is about 60, and that is considered retirement age in Japan...
>>
>>1493082
It'd be cool if he got to put out one more Minstrel Song style "full" game with no compromises.
>>
File: 1604422777476.png (91 KB, 243x267)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Any reason to mutate or transform anyone into a cyborg in Legends 3?
I hear Cyborgs are kinda broken, but monsters are the worst line yet, but it seems like the x2 Human, and x2 Mutants is a pretty valid team. Game also doesn't seem hard enough to justify it either.
>>
>>1493082
Kawazu's the kind of guy like Horii who won't stop working until he's alive because he likes his job, I give him another good decade at least, enough time to remaster the remaining games and pull out two mainlines or so.
>>
I'd give my left lung for romancing saga 4

But I assume the costs would be too high for square. Is there any way he could do it with a small budget?
>>
Any tips before I start SaGa 2 on the DS, bros?
>>
>>1494538
Mechs are fucking broken as usual.
But it's a really simple game anyway so there's nothing crucial you should really know, especially if you played the original, you just have some new modern SaGa mechanics sprinkled on top like combos and linking encounters.
I guess one thing you should look for is the muses, as they're kind of spread out through the game, so keep your eyes open for them, iirc the first muse you can get is Eutere in Ashura's world, or maybe it was Calliope? It's been a while since I played SaGa 2 DS, anyway as long as you keep your eyes open you won't really have any problem.
And you might want to keep linking encounters so you get the new groovy battle theme.
>>
>>1493082
He's busy with VR stage plays, obviously.
>>
>>1491773
i cant even imagine what Blue's note would even look like
>gotta get magic
>cleared a labyrinth and got light magic
>need to collect 4 cards
>got drunk and found 1 card in the swamps
>asked the police for help and got sent into a death mountain
>fought a bird god and found a card
>traded gold with some dwarfs and got a card
>went to a dead city full of ghost and got a card
>got arcane magic!
>killed an old man before he sent me to another stupid quest and got his time magic
>fought myself
>i'm in hell now
>????
>>
>>1491183
Oh yeah, the og GB version is also in the WonderSwan Version.
>>
File: OUCH.jpg (371 KB, 1259x1000)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>1491109
But Anon, he already has
>>
File: 20210326175838_1.jpg (459 KB, 2560x1440)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
>Wander around
>Find a town and pick up a quest
>Go through the dungeon; some groups are fairly threatening but nothing I can't handle
>Get to the boss
>It wipes my party within the first couple turns
>"Guess I'll come back later."
>Go through another dungeon
>The boss of that dungeon also wipes my party within a turn or two
>Repeat
>Repeat
>Repeat
IT KEEPS HAPPENING
>>
>>1492288
Shame we'll never get a playable Alkarl with his own set of Hero moves
Or a playable Mblack who has Dark Fist or Dark Phoenix
>>
>>1496016
the answer is to find your local bodybuilder and challenge him to a wrestling match for extreme gains
>>
>>1491109
Why is David Bowie the coolest human that has existed? I don't get it, his likeability is just infinite
>>
>>1496019
Metal Black is actually playable in Lord of Vermilion Arena together with Alkaiser, he's also playable in the various mobage/web browser games.
Alkarl got the short end of the stick, but I guess he'd be just a pallette swap Alkaiser for most things, I would have liked Santuario to be an explorable region for Red since it's supposed to be the place where the heroes like Alkarl come from, though that would also ruin a bit of the mystery and charm of it I guess...
>>
i'm unironically homosexual, which saga game is the best for me?
>>
>>1496376
Romancing SaGa 2 so you can experience leaving behind a lineage which is something you'll never get to do in real life.
>>
>>1496398
Savage.
>>
I just finished Romancing SaGa 2, amazing game, one of my all time favourites.

I went straight into Romancing SaGa 3 and chose Mikhael. Apparently I chose a noob filter character, but I am digging his Suikoden I esque war minigame.
However I chose spark type spear, only to then stumble upon the fact that there is a fairy in the game that has spark type spear aswell. Should I reroll and choose a spark type more carefully, to have five different spark types in the group? Or is this game more lax about sparking techs not in your spark type than RS2?

Also I heard the Merchant has a minigame aswell. Can I also play that if I just recruit him, or is it just for choosing him as a playable character?
I don't really want to replay the game a third time for the merchant minigame, as I definitly have to do a Katarina run later, since I like her design. Or is this game shorter than Romancing Saga 2, so more replays viable?
>>
File: best_boy.png (902 KB, 640x875)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
>>1496473
forgot pic
>>
>>1496473
Absolutely no need to restart for spark types.
I recommend trying out commander mode (put your MC in the 6th slot) especially if you're using mikhael
you can recruit thomas and do his minigame even if he's not your MC

Expect your first playthrough to be relatively long as you go around talking to NPCs in every town over and over, then once you know the quest triggers you can speed through the game much more quickly
>>
>>1496473
RS3 has a Master system which is kind of similar to RS2.
You first spark a tech and then you have a chance to master it every time you use it in combat, after a character masters a tech everyone else can be taught that, you can see which tech you've mastered when they stop being highlighted in red, that means spark types are not that crucial and you can have multiple characters of the same type without really losing much since you can just recruit somebody with a different type, master techs for another weapon and then kick them out if you so wish.
>>
File: Peony!.png (5 KB, 912x1008)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>1496523
>>1496547
thx lads.
Perfect, then I will dabble around a bit with a commander, so the fairy is not obsolete.
I had a few too many Greatsword users in my RS2 Final Emperor party, so I didn't get to see the final techs of the spear line since everyone was spamming Scattered Petals.
I will probably do two runs then, a slow mostly guideless Mikheal run and a faster Katarina run. From the story setup it seems she has quite a lot of extra content.
Man this game seems even more complex and zany than Romancing Saga 2.
>>
So Alliance Alive or Legend of Legacy?
>>
File: 1574607077894.jpg (10 KB, 412x343)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1496754
>Fairy
>Obsolete
>Ever
Fairy's a goddamn monster, anon
>>
>>1490039
will saga scarlet grace ever get a physical english version?
>>
Please help me how do I deal with the Dragonlord that spams Deadly Fumes? This is insane. The one in the rotten sea. I could weaken the red dragon that spams blaze with water environment but idk what to do about this. RS3 btw.
>>
>>1497523
Beryl's tough, either you grind for hydra suits or power through deadly fume spam and burst it down before you die, you can try to play defensive and put your team in Tiger's Cave, if you have two good spear users you should do plenty of damage.
Of course if you've beaten Forneus you can also just cheese Beryl but that wouldn't be fun wouldn't it
>>
>>1497523
have at least 2 fire users and spam revives while the rest of the team hogs down his hp
>>
hey guys how complete is the english translation for romancing SaGa 2 and 3 on the SNES?
>>
>>1498254
not very. there is no translated rom of RS2 because if impossible spaghetti code and RS3 will be incomplete forever
>>
>>1498254
Like that guy said.
I would rather play RS3 on the snes on my crt, but the fan translation never finished before the ports despite it being stuck in limbo for over a decade, and any would be translator has even less reason to finish it after the ports.
>>
>>1496962
Legend of Legacy.
>>
>>1498308
>>1498394
i see thanks for the heads up
what a shame tho since i wanted to play them on my CRT but oh well, are the pc ports good? the graphics reminds me of the psp remake of FFIV so thats good but what about the music? is there a way to select the SNES soundtrack on the options? i'm a sucker for the SNES soundchip
>>
>>1498740
The music is the exact same as the SNES, they've only redrawn the menus and the backgrounds, some boss sprites are now animated and the RS3 Remaster has some redrawn battle effects.
>>
Does the frontier remaster look like complete shit to anyone else or its just me?
>>
>>1499324
just you bro
i already preordered
>>
>>1499324
I think it looks fine.
I mean, you can only touch up the original low res ps1 monster sprites and backgrounds so much without just redrawing them altogether (and if they threw out their ff9 source code they sure as shit don't have the original SF source code either), and the character sprites actually are redrawn.
>>
>>1499324
Some people just want to be miserable I guess.
>>
>>1499324
It's passable. Hopefully fans can fix the pre-rendered backgrounds ...again.
>>
>>1497280
that's what I've been waiting on too anon
>>
>>1499324
The sprites bother me. It's not very noticeable from still images, but they're incredibly smooth in a way that makes them look really flat against the backgrounds, especially enemies. It's like fighting against giant stickers.

Looking back and forth, the old pixelated enemy sprites didn't necessarily look better, but they did look like they had more depth within the environment and aren't just pasted onto the screen.
>>
>>1496398
This made me laugh too hard.
>>
>>1499860
>It's not very noticeable from still images, but they're incredibly smooth in a way that makes them look really flat against the backgrounds, especially enemies. It's like fighting
perhaps the same could be said of almost every single jrpg before 1997
>>
>>1499324
I mean, the original kinda looked like shit, now it's in widescreen. But I get what you mean, the AI upscaled textures in the battle background here aren't that great looking but a lot of the environments actually looked pretty good outside of combat.
>>
File: 6.jpg (46 KB, 640x480)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1499871
Not really, no. This isn't an issue with 2D for its own sake, but of elements not appearing to mesh perfectly. I'm saying they look sorta off against the background. SaGa Frontier sprites didn't look great to begin with, they had that blobby quasi-3D look of PS1 era games and limited movement, but they still looked like they belonged in the environment and not just cut and pasted on top of it.
>>
>>1499922
Maybe they'll leave in an unsmoothed chunky texture setting for people like you anon

I sort of don't care, if I want to play the original it's one of the only psx games I own
>>
>>1499933
>people like you
Not sure if you're trying to be pointlessly condescending, but I'll try to assume you're not.

And hey, maybe they will. And maybe it'll look less weirdly out of place on the chunky in-battle backgrounds. Always nice to have options.
>>
>>1499986
hey I just think it's gonna look great when I play it on switch or an OLED Vita
>>
>>1499888
>the AI upscaled textures in the battle background here aren't that great looking
From what I've seen so far they look better than the original to me, especially since they don't have the rendering issues of the PS hardware which would deform textures horribly and make things look worse than they already did, because Frontier admittedly never was a looker in the first place.
>>
Why do I get the feeling the only reason kujinshi was let into be one of the seven is because the others felt bad for him?
>>
So which Saga game should I play, because there is a sale for SE games on Steam right now?
>>
>>1503142
SaGa: Scarlet Grace would be the initial recommend, but you ought to give context for what types of JRPGs you enjoy.
>>
>>1503233
I thought all the SaGa games were the same in terms of gameplay? I really liked Suikdoen, Final Fantasy XII and Tactics and XIV, Trials of Mana, and Grandia.
>>
>>1503236
Unlimited SaGa and Scarlet Grace are the most similar to one another, and even then, the combat is diiferent. The original SaGa trilogy plays like alternative Dragon Quest with obscurant mechanics that are pretty fun. Romancing SaGa 1-3 have a different dynamic between games, but generally play similar to Final Fantasy when it comes to battle UI, but how you learn moves, and 'build' characters is different. SaGa 2 & 3 remakes generally play the same as their originals, but with additional fun mechanics such as co-op mechanics similar to SMT: Strange Journey.
>>
>>1503261
Unlimited is a lot like Scarlet Grace if Scarlet Grace was good
>>
>>1502026
You kidding me? Wagnas and Noel KNEEL to Kujinshi.
>>1503236
Not really, at best you have general mechanics that are more or less shared amongst most, but not all of the games, but the games generally play differently from each other and have many, many mechanics unique to each game and different design choices.
Even the Romancing trilogy has each game being very different from the others, the combat might look the same at a glance but when you get into it you see just how many things are different in each game.
>>
File: 1589850523765.png (2.11 MB, 1306x1044)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
i can't beat any of the sinistral part 2. is my team too shitty?
>>
File: 9zbmAAX.png (1019 KB, 640x875)
1019 KB
1019 KB PNG
>>1502026
Does this look like a wimp to you?

>>1503641
No joke, I am that anon that went into RS3 from RS2 and I am completely lost. RS2 at least gave you a general guideline on what to do, as you were expanding your territory from Northwest to Southeast roughly. In RS3 I am wandering around the world fighting random tournaments and conquering bandits and stuff. I thought RS3 was MORE of a traditional Jrpg than RS2, not less.
>>
>>1503738
you should just grind and you'll probably make it
>>
>>1503738
Your team is good and your stat look okay, you might be lacking good equipment however, or you're simply just not using a good strategy.
Just use Quicktime/Hasten Time if you want to cheese them.
>>
>>1503758
>Just use Quicktime/Hasten Time if you want to cheese them.
I thought that strategy only worked in 2?
>>
>>1504730
It's been heavily nerfed coming from RS2 but as long as you have a good team that can dish out some serious damage it still works, you can use it to cheese all the Romancing games, it only exists in there but it's a very powerful spell.
>>
>>1503747
>his shield resembles his when he was human
He must gave been one gorgeous looking motherfucker without his mask then
>>
File: 1497617436382.jpg (134 KB, 512x512)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>1490039
Im new to the series and i just started 3 becouse everyone said its the noob friendly game, i started as the first character Julian, i have a few questions:

I noticed there's no levels here and only stats upgrades at random from fighting enemies, Is there some sort of logic at play with stat upgrades? Do i get similar benefits from fighting a lot of weaker enemies than fighting stronger ones? How exactly do i learn new skills? Do characters have some sort of inclination to stat gains? I mean, is there "Mage" or "Melee" inclined characters or its completely random? Are there any builds? Can you control what stat is being upgraded?
Most important of all, is there a clear cut guide to understand all the mechanics at play? I don't want to bother people too much
>>
File: kujinsi_IS.jpg (248 KB, 1280x720)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>1505253
pic related
>>1505288
>Is there some sort of logic at play with stat upgrades?
Of course there is, using a weapon type or a spell school means you level up their related proficiency levels, HP levels up on its own just by fighting while TP levels up when you use weapons and MP levels up by using spells.
The other stats are fixed in this system, but you can apply bonuses through equipment, a Fang Amulet for instance gives you a STR bonus.
>Do i get similar benefits from fighting a lot of weaker enemies than fighting stronger ones?
Ideally you should always fight stronger enemies because they give you better chances to learn new techs and better rolls for proficiencies.
>How exactly do i learn new skills?
By using weapons, using certain techs also gives you bonuses for learning other techs.
Some techs are also proprietary to certain special weapons, they can only be learned and used by using those special weapons.
>Do characters have some sort of inclination to stat gains?
Kind of, they all have better rolls for leveling certain proficiencies but they're pretty negligible.
>is there "Mage" or "Melee" inclined characters
Yes, it's pretty evident too, Undine for instance is a dedicated mage, Khalid is a one handed sword specialist while Charl is a hybrid who specializes in spears and fire spells.
That said, characters are in general geared towards two or three things, most of them are pretty evident but others not so much, Ellen for instance is a great martial artist even though she starts out with axes.
>Are there any builds?
Sure.
>is there a clear cut guide to understand all the mechanics at play?
I wouldn't reccomend to use guides, they spoil the game, and you're not really bothering anyone here, on the contrary I'd say just play on your own and when you can't figure out things just ask here.
>>
File: 1457414559440.jpg (20 KB, 400x300)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1505333
Thanks dude
>>
any tips for learning Lightsword in Frontier? i'm trying to learn it with Annie and spend hours fighting enemies and still couldnt learn it
i have the gift and she already learned all the other Light spells but still no luck with Lightsword
>>
>>1506111
Go to Biolab if you're late in the game or the swamp in yorkland if you're earlier in the game. There is a general battle rank in SaGa Frontier and then a specific adjustment for various monster icons in dungeons for the patterns of mobs they can lay out. Compared to everywhere else on average on a scale of 1-10 the Biolab is about a +2, while the mobs in yorkland are just never easy in the first place but don't get as advanced as biolab (you just fight larger numbers of krakens). Alternatively you can spend a lot of battle's grinding Annie's intelligence up by repeatedly casting sunray for the entire battle until her chances improve, but she's one of the worst magic users comparable to Gen or Emilia so expect her softcapped intelligence to always be about 5-10 points below her Strength which she's actually good at. Get it to about 30-40 and then go fight a boss fight or some biolab monsters (the durahan fight is a favorite for grinding techniques).
>>
Scarlet Grace is kicking my ass
>>
>>1505333
AIIIIE KUJINSHI SAMA I KNEEL
>>
>>1506151
grind and use two mages
>>
>>1506591
I've kind of gotten into the swing of things. I thought LP were finite like in other saga games so I was reloading whenever I had a death since I'm so early. The battle system is pretty rad, it's a shame it's a mobile game.
>>
>>1506796
honestly I think the problems it has have absolutely nothing to do with the facet of it being designed for a mobile interface
>>
>>1506796
It's a Vita game. It didn't get released on mobile until years later.
>>
>>1506815
I agree with this, outside of some things that were just implemented badly most of the problems with the game, as in limited enemy variety, the lackluster magic system and no dungeon crawling to add variety to the game's pacing come from extremely limited budget, on which the game was designed around to begin with.
Azhuacan's underground is probably a rough idea of what dungeons would have played like if they had enough money to make them, it's hard to ignore that section of the game.
>>
>>1506111
Cast light spells every fight
Equip most of your list with spells so that you get a crown; increases your learn chance
>>
>>1507414
>>1506859
>>1506815
>shafting if not outright killing other IPs that arent FF or KH or just giving them budgets so small that even literally indies have more money to work with
what in the FUCK is wrong with square and what were they thinking? Goddamn its amazing how much shit like FFVII gave them that capcom tier mentality
>>
>>1508125
They're retards, they've always treated FF as their holy cow, which is fine since every company has one, but through the late 90's they've started to give even less space and resources to their other IPs because they gambled big time on FFVII and succeeded, and that success went to their heads.
>>
>>1508437
>but through the late 90's they've started to give even less space and resources to their other IPs
fucking bullshit
in the late 90's was when Square was the most experimental with their IP's and making new ones that werent just FF
like remember the two Tobal games? brave fencer musashi, threads of fate, Einhänder, Vagrant story, Parasite Eve, Ehrgeiz, Xenogears
and of course making new games of their old IP's like Chrono Cross, Legend of mana, the SaGa games, Front mission 3 etc.
and weird spin off like chocobo racing or chocobo dungeon, FF tactics
even the first year of the Ps2 got some unexpected IP's from Square like the bouncer and KH
it was the dissaster of FF the spirit within and fusing with Enix that ruined Square
they started to focus more on Enix IP's and only the biggest hit of Square's IP's
>>
>>1508437
Not just give less resources to other projects, but actively take resources from existing projects to funnel to their ff projects.
Xenogears being one of the most infamous victims, it's impossible to look at disc 2 and say "yeah, this was intentional".
Of course saga frontier was a victim too.
Unfortunately after the success of ffvii the heads of squaresoft really only cared about repeating its success with future ff installments and funneling all funds to it, even to the detriment of everything else.

>>1508539
And how many of those are in a half finished or broken state thanks to final fantasy sucking up funds and dev time?
Even final fantasy tactics is rather notorious for its piss poor spell checking.
>>
>>1508562
>And how many of those are in a half finished or broken state thanks to final fantasy sucking up funds and dev time?
what? just Xenogears its the only one of those games that feels incomplete
Musashi, Parasite eve, Vagrant story are fucking great
Legend of Mana is 100+ hours if you do every event
Tobal isnt a very good game but thats more because the gameplay wasnt great, and since its the first attempt of Square to make a fighting game its pretty normal
>>
>>1508562
>Even final fantasy tactics is rather notorious for its piss poor spell checking.
yeah thats pretty normal on tactics Rpg
and also
fucking FFVIII is more broken than ANY other game Square published on the 90's
and its a mainline FF game, so what happened huh? not enough funds?
its not because Square only focused on FF the problem was that they were putting out too many IP's and divided the job between all their employes, totally the oposite of what they are doing now
you want an example of company that only focus in one IP? that was Enix
they only published games for other more smaller japanese studios like Tri-Ace meanwhile they mostly just focused on developing Dragon Quest games
>>
>>1508539
>it was the dissaster of FF the spirit within and fusing with Enix that ruined Square
>they started to focus more on Enix IP's and only the biggest hit of Square's IP's
Enix has 1 (one) IP, Dragon Quest, and the only time Square ever did anything with DQ was DQXI's PS4 version.
>>
>>1508619
>you want an example of company that only focus in one IP? that was Enix
Enix was only a publisher. They didn't develop games whatsoever. DQ is owned by Armor Project and has an exclusive publishing contract with SE. It was developed by various companies over the years like Level 5 or ArtePiazza for the remakes. Square didn't "focus" on DQ, DQ doesn't even belong fully to Square. The reason Square changed is indeed Spirits Within, which caused them to streamline production and restructure their company in their own words so they could reuse assets as much as possible between games, which meant fewer IPs and more sequels. Obviously nowadays a 90s Square is fucking impossible since you need a team that's as big as the entire Square from the 90s just for one big game. That's why they are outsourcing their IPs or buying and founding small studios and making the core Square team only do the big ones, not because they don't want to do more, but because it's just super inpractical in this day and age.
>>
>>1508642
doesn't make it any less gay
>>
File: 1590290838328.png (905 KB, 1582x871)
905 KB
905 KB PNG
I did it, fantastic game. It's been a long time since a game made me yell YES when I overcame a difficult boss. Pretty excited for RS2 and Macross I mean SaGa Frontier now.
>>
>>1508589
>just Xenogears its the only one of those games that feels incomplete
Dude, Vagrant Story is barely a third of what it should have been and it's so painfully evident that even the staff roll gives it away when you see concept art of Ashley with Tieger and Neesa, which was part of the original plan, him getting out of Lea Monde with those dudes and playing as a party, Merlose was also originally intended to be a party member, Lea Monde was supposedly just half of the game and the other half would have been you getting back to the Graylands, and don't let me talk about how much of a mess the game is mechanically.
>Legend of Mana is 100+ hours
Legend of Mana was, by Kawazu's own words, rushed out like hell even after being delayed which is why the combat sucks dicks, on top of that it was a joint project with Frontier 2 and Frontier 2 also suffered due to it.
All the other franchises you mention have been middling, Parasite Eve is not only dead but, much like Front Mission, desecrated, and all of those projects were B tier at best.
Also don't fucking forget that it was then that SaGa got relegated to peanut budgets and staffs starting from Frontier because FF was more important, and don't forget that even in the SNES days the staffs for SaGa were half of the ones for FF, RS2 was made by barely 20-25 people, FFVI was made by 40-45, and it all goes downhill from RS3 onwards, it's a miracle the games turned out as good as they are given how little they had to work with.
And to add insult to injury Square couldn't even manage to actually finish their goddamn FF on average because their management has always been fucking terrible, see the disaster that is FFVIII's fourth disc for example.
>>1508681
Good job anon.
>>
>>1499324
Just the HUD/font.
>>
even though I don't really care for the franchise I really like the artwork
where can I see some monster concept art if it exists?
>>
>>1512801
There's not a lot of scanned ultimania/compendiums around so you're out of luck
>>
File: SF2_The_Egg.png (2.1 MB, 1156x1792)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
It's safe to assume Frontier 2 will also get a remaster, right? Let's hope they restore the whole Egg background and origin.
I hate when a game requires you to read the manga/novel/guide or even watch the anime to understand the whole narrative.
>>
>>1512801
There are some artbooks on...sadpanda.
>>
>>1515229
They didn't add the backstories for the Seven Heroes or the previous generation of the heroes in RS3, they won't add any of the details about the old civilization of Sandail in SF2.
I'd rather have them publish the novels, artbooks and theatre plays worldwide, because if you don't live in Japan you get robbed by import taxes.
>>
stupid question about Emelia scenario, but was Fuse trying to cover up Joker at the start?
i thought it was weird how he sent Emelia to jail without ANY evidence, but i thought maybe he was being a hothead because he said that he and Ren were really close friends since the academy
but then at the end you find out that Ren was the Joker all along which made me wonder
how the fuck didnt the police noticed that Ren dead body was a fake?
and it got me thinking: maybe Fuse knew and thats why he used Emelia as a scapegoat? i mean Ren was planning in blaming Emelia from the start since the only "evidence" that made Emelia look suspicious was that they had a fight the previous night, and as we see at the start of the scenario Emelia is going to Ren house to apologize but dont know what to say because doesnt know what she did
also we see that Ren/Joker has a lot of connection throught the world
in Baccarat, Shingrow, Trinity and of course the police
idk i wonder how they are going to go with it on Fuse scenario in the new remaster since what he did to Emelia (even if he wasnt cooperating with Joker) just made him look kinda like a villain
>>
>>1515795
Fuse doesn't even know who Joker is.
He sent Emilia to Despair because all the evidence found her guilty and he was also personally shaken by what happened since Ren was his best bud, and the idea of his girlfriend killing him made Fuse go over the line, remember that he's nicknamed Fuse for a reason.
Later on Fuse personally goes to the crime scene and starts putting things together and working on finding out what really happened to Ren.
>what he did to Emelia (even if he wasnt cooperating with Joker) just made him look kinda like a villain
Fuse is not meant to look heroic, he's a short tempered, cynical tough bastard who acts out of impulse, he's the bad cop to Ren's good cop.
Ren also doesn't really play any active part in this, he was straight up possessed by Joker and used as a meat puppet until Emilia comes along and makes him snap out of it by destroying the mask or accidentally killing Ren for real this time around, alongside Joker.
>>
>>1515996
i see, my mind kinda went to that "theory" because of the lack of evidence that lead him to think that Emelia killed Ren
also
you know i like the "bad ending" the best, i found it quite glaring how the best ending is just some dialoge with joker and emelia then cuts to black and shows the wedding photo, i liked that the "bad ending" shows more after the Joker/Emelia exchange with a really sweet and heartwarming moment with Emelia, Annie, Liza and Roufas, then those three commenting on how much Emelia changed and how strong she is, then black and showing the pic with Emelia, Annie and Liza together, idk i found it more fulfilling
sorry for babbling too much i JUST beated her scenario and fucking loved it
definitely my favorite so far alongside Red
>>
>>1515458
Are there any torrents of stage plays? I cant find them anywhere in the usual spots
>They didn't add the backstories for the Seven Heroes or the previous generation of the heroes in RS3, they won't add any of the details about the old civilization of Sandail in SF2.
>I'd rather have them publish the novels, artbooks and theatre plays worldwide, because if you don't live in Japan you get robbed by import taxes.
I'm not sure if they still do it but they go more indepth and showed backstory, etc, if all those things in the long dead emperor and I think imperial saga eclipse.
>>
>>1490949
My original PlayStation disc is scratched to heck and would pretty much freeze whenever I tried to finish some stories so this is good to get
>>
>>1490039
Kinda sucks that Gen never got his story mode in SF either. Although he's pretty important to all the character stories I guess? Also do you think that they'll remaster SF2 too now?
>>
it's pasta time
>>
>>1490039
So there's no new art by Amano for SaGa Frontier Remastered? WTF SquareEnix? Why are you being so fucking retarded like usual? Stop being cheap and spend some fucking money on a game NOT FFVII for a change
>>
>>1517235
Amano isn't the resident SaGa artist.
>>
>>1517212
Roufas and Fuse are such a great duo
>>1517235
Amano never did art for SaGa
>>
>>1506815
>>1506859
Ah, it feels like a mobile game then with how battles and exploration are set up. Glimmering magic is bullshit though.
>>
>>1518474
We've been doing the same in past entries like the Frontier games, it's also much better and faster than either of those games since magic learning is now a general learning process gated by proficiency levels and handled by channeling flux, which is all very straightforward and manipulable on top of the learning rates themselves being good.
It's also better than magic learning in Unlimited where advanced spells are not only locked behind tablet RNG but require an ungodly amount of fights to learn even when you take your time to get learning bonuses by getting the right reel tile.
>>
>>1518809
I actually liked how unlimited did magic, they should have just made most of the tablets purchasable via shops or atleast certain shops in places like loch van. While having the higher tier ones being guaranteed drops or rewards in certain quests. Magic blender and the process of getting however, is pure fucking bullshit
>>
>>1518864
I don't dislike the idea of getting tablets out in the wild, it makes sense for the setting and it's not hard either since all fights that count as events can drop tablets.
The problem I have is that L4 tablets are ungodly rare, Forbidden tablet are even more rare and locked behind Rainbow Guckies, and any advanced spell, which coincidentially is vital for Magic Blender to work as intended, is locked behind hours of grinding, and you can't even properly select them, the best you get is inverting the list if you have an Ancient Tongue panel.
It's a great system in theory but there's too many flaws in its implementation, as much as I will admit that a caster with Magic Blender is also far too powerful and makes even axe or knives builds look like a joke.
>>
>>1490039
I really liked The Last Remnant, but all the other ones look quite unappealing in terms of both graphics and mechanics.

Is there any other one on the level of LTR?
>>
File: 1556528964672.jpg (90 KB, 1124x768)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1519091
Not to be rude anon, but TLR is one of the most streamlined and dumbed down entries, it doesn't even have sparking or LPs.
You might want to play RS3 though, the Union system was an alternative version of RS3's commander mode to begin with, it's also much more nonlinear than TLR, with much better dungeons and enemy variety, it also has multiple MCs.
If you want good modern graphics I'm afraid you won't find anything other than TLR though.
>>
>>1519091
I forgot I'd it was from him or not but there was a game for the Wii called the last story I think he did and one FF crystal Chronicle games. Other than that what you see is what you get
>>
>>1519151
The Last Story was from Mistwalker, another dev entirely.
>>
who are the best gunners and mages in Frontier?
i want to get Fuse but i hate that i need to fight Suzaku before i can, by the time i'm able to beat it i already have a perty with 500+ HP and Fuse ends up being too underpowered to change
and i already used the fuck out of Rouge so i want to change a bit (i'm on my fifth scenario already)
>>
>>1519248
The best gunners are the mages.
>>
>>1519248

give timelord guns so he can do cool slow motion scenes
>>
>>1519315
any recommendation aside from Fuse and Rouge?
>>1519337
that actually sounds like a really cool idea lmao but i'm saving Timelord to use in Rikki scenario (i kinda dont like to repeat too many characters per scenario)
>>
>>1519372
Anyone with high INT grow is good, i.e. the twins or Mei-Ling, to be honest I don't even see a lot of difference in speed when it comes to learning gun techs because there's so few to begin with and you're bound to get good INT as you keep using guns, and your key skills will always be Dual Gun and Boundshot/Cross Shot anyway, which aren't hard to get, add Rune buffs and any character becomes Rambo.
>>
I tried Frontier back when the PSP was the next best thing to play PS1 games on, but I never finished it. Did 3 or 4 scenarios, I think?
Always wondered if Frontier is one of those games that, when all scenarios are completed, a new one opens up where all the heroes come together to fight the real final boss? Think Live A Live.
>>
>>1519408
You do get SOMETHING in SaGa Frontier but it's noncanon. There are a few optional fights in there too.
>>
>>1519408

you mean like this

>All protagonists can potentially join a party if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. In the original game, certain characters did not join a party depending on the protagonist, but one of the compelling aspects of the remastered version is that it enables players to recruit all other protagonists to a party in the Fuse storyline.

>Players can potentially battle the other protagonists’ final bosses if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. (A system that enables players to once again challenge the “final boss” of a protagonist that has joined a party in the Fuse storyline.)

>Players can challenge up to 6; the more players defeated, the stronger the final boss becomes in the route, unfolding into a battle that poses an even greater challenge. The final boss battle BGM from the Fuse storyline has been newly composed by Kenji Ito.
>>
>>1519248
>>1519372
Aside from the obvious Rouge, Emelia actually has one of the best stat growths for magic and guns.

But she blows chunks at learning gun skills and spells.
Abuse the crown mechanic by loading her up on store bought spells and/or easy to learn martial and sword skills to make learning new things easier if you choose to use her with guns or spells.
>>
Man, scarlet Grace's ending felt like something straight out of fire emblem. I wonder if we're gonna get an SG2 at some point
>>
>>1519582
Int and Psy still contribute though so Emelia having exceptional willpower doesn't actually make her better than someone who has almost as high Wil without using Int and Psy as their dump stats.

So Red, Blouge, Mei-Ling, Hamilton, Fuse, and Asellus are probably better, which really just puts Emelia right in the middle or "at the bottom of the top".

I never make her anything other than sword user.
>>
>>1519404
>the twins
huh, where can i find them? its the first time i heard about them, i'm playing without a guide doing thing blind basically
are they in Wakatu? i only did the arcane quest with Blue (since i prefer the Rune magic) and i THINK i saw two little girls (or boy?) there but i'm not sure
>>
>>1519490
Damn, that sounds fantastic.
>>
File: En8DjaxXMAc_y4n.jpg (49 KB, 467x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1519884
i just recently beat Emelia scenario and i made her a gunner, so far the best end game gun-user i used even thought it took me up to the end of the game to learn Two-guns but after seeing this artwork in-game i couldnt bring myself to use anything BUT guns
fighting the final boss while using her wedding dress and using guns was really fucking hype to me for some reason
>>
File: 1616966298231.jpg (105 KB, 750x750)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1519582

>gun character sucks at learning gun skills
>mystics suck at learning magic

what was the plan here
>>
>>1520451
>what was the plan
i think as far as Emelia goes it was made that way to put emphasis on the "costumes" in her scenario
if you dress her with the "pink fighter" costume then it becomes easier to learn fighting skills like Liza
and if you dress her as a "commando" then it becomes easier for her to learn guns skills like Roufas
but then the bunny costume and the dancer costume does nothing
since the only character left was Annie its believed one of the costumes were to make Emelia learn sword skills more easily just like Annie
but since Emilia can naturally match Annie on sword then maybe the devs fucked it up? or maybe it was a deliberate decision to make Emilia usable as a recruit in other scenarios? (since Emilia is the only character that is recruitable in every scenario)
>>
>>1520692
Also doesn't help that Liza is decent with swords, magic and guns too.
In fact it makes it feel like the devs just slapped those bonuses on Liza and copied those properties to the fighter costume instead of putting them on the proper costumes.
Considering the rushed nature of the game, that's certainly possible.
>>
>>1520063
Blue and Rouge have different hairstyles but identical physical features, and they are both the best mage in the game by leading in every magic stat except psychic, of which the only better character is also not human.

You cannot have both at the same time because they are blood rivals (or can you?)
>>
>>1520063
Rouge hangs out in the waiting room in Luminous, Blue is only playable as a protagonist, though with the Remaster you'll be able to recruit him if you play as Fuse too.
>>1520451
Mystics have their own skills so it doesn't really mean much if they learn magic or not, spells are just support stuff to them and they're more than enough good with basic ones, most of the times you'll be using things like GriffinScratch on them instead of spells, unless you're playing around with those mystics with their own proprietary spells like Time Lord, Rei or Zozma, and those don't have problems learning anything since they come with their full library already available.
>>
>>1521197
>Blue is only playable as a protagonist,
Could have sworn there was just one other character who could recruit him somehow. Maybe Asellus or Emilia?
>>
>>1521673
Nope, he appears briefly on the Cygnus in Red's prologue and refuses to join once he learns Red's name, he doesn't appear in any other scenario.
>>
Fair warning that I remember as a kid. When you play as Asellus, there’s a shopkeeper in the mystic area you’re in at the beginning. He’ll give powerful stuff for some of your LP. Don’t be foolish or you’ll game over frequently due to having 0 LP. Loved the hell out of this game, but never really got to finishing anyone besides Blue’s story. Lute’s story was something I just never knew where I was supposed to go or do. Everyone else had pretty clear paths though I think.
>>
>>1521673

fuse can recruit him :^)
>>
File: RS3_Monica_Artwork.png (816 KB, 640x875)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
I've only played a couple of hours of RS3, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I basically ran away from Monika's arranged marriage because that seemed like the morally good thing to do but now the game got really open and I have no idea where to go. I saw some rats, they killed me. Found a golden ratio professor who made me find her pets and they killed me. I then went to a different city to try and find a 5th party member then my decision anxiety collapsed in on itself.

How should I handle magic in this game? I saw it costs money, and I'm worried about spending it on characters I might end up benching. I assume shoving magic on my main character would be the safest best.

I'm barely 2 hours in so I can just restart with a different protagonist I guess. Though I imagine I'll run into the same problem eventually after their introduction.
>>
>>1522820
Sound like this is your first SaGa game, right?
How did you build Monika in the character creation and who do you have in your party?
The rats are the big casual filter in the game and the professor's pets are another, don't worry too much, the former will stay there until you kill them and the latter is just a minor timed side quest which means little, you usually do it for the challenge or to squeeze some Aurum on the characters that can afford that, keep playing and don't worry, you didn't mess up anything.
>How should I handle magic in this game?
It's advisable to give it to every party member in some measure since technique crowns aren't THAT valuable in RS3, but it's not like you need to have everyone being able to cast spells so it's not really vital either.
Money is a non issue in this game even if you don't use a certain exploit, just exploring new places and hoarding dungeons will net you a lot of money, a lot of sidequests have money rewards as well and selling certain equipment will net you even more money, you also don't really need to spend money on anything but spells so don't worry about that too much.

SaGa always feels daunting at the beginning when you don't know what to do and you're getting your ass kicked, but you eventually learn the ins and outs fairly quick, try going to Lance, there's a guy in the shop there that can give you a really easy quest that also nets you good money.
>>
>>1522896
I've beaten RS2 and SSG. I just found this one a tad more overwhelming in the first few hours. It felt different from RS2 and I guess I just panicked.

I'm overthinking too much it seems. I'll go back and give my characters spells. Thanks for the other advice as well.
>>
>>1523132
You probably are overthinking, but it is different from both of those games so it's understandable.
Magic schools still work similarly to RS2 though, in the sense that they're rather specialized kits, unlike RS2 though you can only have two schools, one of the main four and either Sun or Moon magic, so casters aren't as busted as they are in RS2.
Some RS2 spells that were passed onto RS3 were also nerfed, most notably Quicktime/Hasten Time and Galaxy/Galactic Rift, another big difference is that since RS3 has the commander mode you now have formation spells as well, each formation can cast certain particular formation spells which require you to have access to certain schools on your party, some of the spells you've seen in RS2 and SG like Crimson Flare exist as Formation Spells in RS3.
Magic seems kind of underwhelming in RS3 before you dig a bit into commander mode, but even without that it's still very powerful, just not as monstruously powerful as it was in RS2.
>>
File: file.png (3.83 MB, 1600x800)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB PNG
is this a bad place to start this series?
>>
>>1523465
Practically every game except unlimited is a good starting placs
>>
So how do I even get into this series? I tried romancing saga 1 on the snes a few years ago and got filtered, tried saga frontier recently and got filtered even harder. This shit seems impossible without a guide, what am I doing wrong?
>>
RELEASE MINSTREL SONG AND UNLIMITED ON STEAM
>>
>>1523923
It's coming
>>
>>1523879
Describe your experience
>>
Having been somewhat filtered by the freedom offered by Romancing Saga 3, I decided to continue playing SaGa I-III instead. I got the GBA collection.

I will soon be finished with SaGa 1. I am impressed how fun this is for a GBA game, no wonder it was Square's first game to break 1 mio. It is not overly difficult, but the dungeon layouts are fun, the tower is a great setting and the worlds are very imaginative.

I ran with 2 humans, 1 esper and 1 monster. The monster has never been pulling its weight, even if I get a good transformation that has more hp than my doods it falls behind in damage. The Esper has been usefull and has decided some fights with barrier spells. The humans carry the game, getting them to 99 STR/AGI is so cheap in the midgame. Unsure if I should even push them to 255, given that that would trivialise the game more.

If I ever replay this I would run with more monsters for more challenge.

Bit of a shame square didn't put the 3D or the Wonderswan versions on the Switch, I bet they would have sold more due to prettier graphix and QOL. I enjoy how fast the GBA version is tho.
>>
>>1524147
Romancing saga 1, I kept dying early on. Don't really remember much, I picked albert or gilbert or whatever his name was.
In saga frontier I picked lute, got stuck in a dungeon that I can't leave and the boss is way too strong for me.
>>
>>1524348
Good to hear somebody out there still enjoys the old series, hope you enjoy SaGa 2 as well.
>>1524371
Try out Romancing SaGa 3, start out with Katarina as she's one of the strongest protagonists and doesn't really have any notable handicap or twists to progression.
Messing up and dying a lot is part of the experience, the games don't really hold your hand or ease you in compared to a lot of other games, they're fairly old school and will actually try to fuck you up.
Lute is kind of notorious in Frontier for the thing you described, it's easy to get stuck in his final dungeon in the very early game, it's somebody you'd leave for one of your last playthroughs once you're more experienced with the game, but you really shouldn't worry too much about messing up anyway, the games let you save anywhere and you can have multiple save slot, you should take advantage of that and always save in different slots often so you have a safe backup.
>>
>>1523279
Tornado hits like a truck, that was Galaxy 2.0 for me
>>
File: leonard.jpg (674 KB, 943x974)
674 KB
674 KB JPG
The look on this lad's face cracks me up in every cutscene
>>
>>1490949
That shit's 40 bucks. I never played Frontier. Should I just emulate it?
>>
Never played a SaGa game but the OP art caught my eye. Which should I play first?
>>
>>1524371
>I picked lute
There's your problem.
Lute is, bar none, the worst character to start with.
His route is the most obvious example of rushed and incomplete development in the whole game.
I can't even blame you for the experience you had as the game gives no indication of this on the character select screen.

All I can really say is to please give the game another shot by picking literally any other character.
>>
>>1524953
Wonderswan version of the first one in Japanese, preferably on an actual Wonderswan. Read the manual but look up nothing online.
>>
>>1524348
Wait, there's a SaGa collection on the GBA?
>>
>>1524801
>Don't talk to me or this son I don't even know ever again
>>
>>1525050
I am talking about this. Final Fantasy Legend is the name under which SaGa I-III are localised in the west.
They are originally all GBA games, you can buy a bundle on Switch.
>>
>>1525247
Oh, you meant GB. They are Game Boy games, not Game Boy Advance. I get it now.
>>
>>1525247
>GBA
GB you mean.
>>
File: 1617476754339.jpg (53 KB, 1002x1199)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1490949
>New Game Plus
oh Lute, I'm going to fuck your route in under an hour now
>>
>>1525253
>>1525254
Forgive my ignorant zoomer self. My first console was a PS3.
>>
I refunded Evil Genius 2 and am looking forward to use that money for the in my region somewhat overpriced Frontier remaster.
>>
>>1525413
It's 33 bucks for me in Canada dude, how much is it for you?
>>
Folks, remember to not preorder Frontier as there's 99% gonna be a launch discount like the previous remasters.
>>
>>1524801
>>1525223
I love how much of a fucking roughneck leonard is
>>
File: Egg.jpg (27 KB, 610x450)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
it's egg day
>>
>>1525626
134 brazilian hues, which is lower if they just converted the price and didn't account for regional pricing — but it's still a somewhat hefty price in the context. I'll happily pay that for a game I know is good, though.

AAA games or games from shitty publishers now tend to be the double of that here, even on Steam.
>>
>>1525701
Oh nice, I was actually going to preorder Frontier because I'm dumb but I'll just buy it on launch day now
>>
>>1526364
He's great, simple farmer protagonists are very rare in the genre and Leo's written well on top of being entertaining.
It's also refreshing how straightforward the romance with Elizabeth is, no beating around the bush or anything like that.
>>
>>1525701
I already did, but it's whatever.
A paltry $1.50 off or whatever was never going to be a deal breaker for me.
Steam seasonal sales proves that there are lots of misers like that though.
>>
was playing through the original SaGa games - had beaten the Wonderswan version of SaGa 1, and was 10% into the DS version of SaGa 2 - when the Nintendo Direct trailer was unveiled. At first, looking at the concept art prior to the trailer had me thought that they'd either release the best versions of all 3; or maybe even make new versions of all 3. A shame that it turns out they were nostalgia baiting for boomers who loved the GB aesthetic -- I grew up with the GB, but very few games pull off the aesthetic that contemporary artists will pay homages to.

Still considering picking up the FFLegends collection, if only to support more games coming over here. I purchased RS2 day one, and RS3 physical as soon as it launched, and will be doing the same with SaGa Frontier, but this GB collection has me chaffed. Squeenix did this same shit with the Dragon Quest collection, releasing blatantly inferior versions of the first 3 games, especially when injecting the art assets from the SNES version INTO the mobile version is easy enough for a fucking intern to handle -- or the wonderswan version for SaGa. Instead, Chrono Trigger - which I could give a fuck about - gets treatment when everyone whines, and I never gave a shit about early FF to be concerned with that series either. I was hesitant to play the DS ports of the SaGa 2 & 3, but they look pretty good, and S3 on DS is the definitive version. Hope Minstrel Song and Unlimited aren't done dirty, as I'm glad to see that Frontier is receiving cut content, that from what it sounds like from here, has substantial changes to the game, as well as the new campaign itself.
>>
Whats the point of no return in T260 quest?
i accidently got into the part where Leonard joins you and tells you to go into Tartarus, i dont know if this is the final dungeon of the game or not, should i go back to a previous save or keep going?
>>
>>1527047
>Instead, Chrono Trigger - which I could give a fuck about - gets treatment when everyone whines, and I never gave a shit about early FF to be concerned with that series either
I have no idea what the fuck you're trying to say.
>>
>>1527047
I wouldn't suggest picking up the Collection of SaGa, it's pretty much robbery.
The only thing they did change in Frontier is adding the option to flee from battles, the rest is just restoring cut content and adding the customary modern NG+ function.
>>1527106
You're still in the mid game, the point of no return will be when Leonard tells you how to board RB3, which happens after you get the Omega body for T260G.
>>
>>1527117
>I wouldn't suggest picking up the Collection of SaGa, it's pretty much robbery
I could only imagine this being the case if the game outright crashed on a regular basis. what else is possibly wrong with it?
>>
>>1527139
It's literally just three GB roms wrapped in an emulator. As someone who bought it knowing full well the circumstances, I have to concur with the other anon's statement. You could emulate all three games, as well as the entirety of the GB library, on your phone easily.
>>
>>1527139
The price is what's wrong with it.
I'm all for supporting the series but no way in hell I'm giving them more than three bucks for a bunch of GB roms.
>>
>>1527139
It's $30 for 3 fucking gameboy ROMs when better versions of every game exists.
>>
They literally could have just ported and tweaked the DS remakes and sell them instead.
>>
>>1527186
had no idea that it cost thirty fucking dollars.
>>
>>1490039
So what are we thinking on the character play order for Remastered SF? Where does Fuse come in since we won't know how complex his in relation to the others? Possibly Red and Lute nearer the end with maybe Emelia to start first? The others in the middle somewhere possibly Blue sooner than later?
>>
>>1528163

Fuse should probably be last based on >>1519490

but also will you use ng+
>>
>>1528218

also they should have given fuse his hill back.
>>
>>1528234
Naw where would Red do his karate poses then?
>>
So, after SaGa Frontier what do you think will happen? I really doubt Kawazu and his team would be involved in outright remakes like Trials of Mana (Mana's main creator was out of S-E, wasnt' he?), so the question is whether he's going to announce a new project or keep going with the remasters. And if the second is true, when does he stop, Unlimited SaGa? He wondered publicly about what to do with Romancing SaGa 1 (whether to use the SNES, PS2 version or mix the two somehow), so I doubt that's in the books for now.
>>
How long are Frontier's or 3's individual stories? Are they set apart well or is it like other games (say, Fire Emblem Three Houses) where it's doing the exact same shit but with slight variations? I've just played RoSaGa 2 and it lasted me like 80 hours, so I don't know if I can do that with every story lol
>>
>>1527528
SE and Nintendo pull some of the most Jewish bullshit that Japanese companies are capable of. When they work together, this is what happens.
>>
Is The Last Remnant worth playing?
>>
>>1528163
I'm just trying to figure out which party to shove Ren into
>>
>>1528655
Kawazu already implied they began working on something that isn't a remake in late 2018, Corona might have fucked the development which is probably why they pulled the Frontier remaster to keep the release pace steady, the next remaster is gonna be SaGa Frontier 2 at this point and then Unlimited.
What you mention about RS1 was about MS tough, he was actually considering the possibility of remaking MS entirely in pixel art, not making another remaster of SNES RS1.
It's hard to say what will happen next though, Kawazu isn't like Yoshida or Nomura who like to drop little updates whenever, he only starts showing things when they're nearly done with the game and are entering the last phase of development and testing.
>>1528681
A single Frontier scenario can be completed handily in 8-12 hours even with no knowledge of the game's content, they're pretty short, you usually have to deal with a series of unique dungeons and sections for each MC which have varying length, though the way you progress through each MC's quest is different, so that might count as well when you have to figure out what you have to do with each character to proceed through their main story.
RS3 is more around 20-30 hours on a blind run on average, but you end up shaving a lot after your first run because you know where most of the content is even if you missed something, and the main characters' unique content in there is usually a couple of quests, a dungeon or a minigame, so it doesn't really take much, outside of maybe Mikhail's scenario because his conquest/management minigame can take a bit more time than average to figure out.
>>1528703
Sure.
>>
>>1528770
>What you mention about RS1 was about MS tough, he was actually considering the possibility of remaking MS entirely in pixel art
Source?
>>
>>1528770
Yeah, but how sure are you? Seriously though, anything I should know before jumping in? I'm going to play the newish version.

>Frontier
Just to unnecessarily corroborate you, I played Frontier for the first time last year and my Red playthrough lasted 11 or so hours.
>>
>>1528770
>What you mention about RS1 was about MS tough, he was actually considering the possibility of remaking MS entirely in pixel art, not making another remaster of SNES RS1.
He mentions virtually every posibility. I think it was a straight remaster of RS1, a port of Minstrel Song, a "dotification" of Minstrel Song or a full remake of Minstrel Song.

https://kidk7yxiavsjioky36cwabnabe--nitter-42l-fr.translate.goog/SaGa30kawazu/status/1299905220881776641#m

>>1528782

This was prompted by a Twitter question, so you might as well wonder that this isn't even in preproduction stages.
>>
>>1528793
>(超大変)
>どれでやっても喜ぶユーザーと喜ばないユーザーがいる事を思うと決断が難しいのです
He's not actually considering doing that, it was essentially a joke. Stop being misleading.
>>
>>1528789
TLR is very straightforward so there's really not a lot you should know other than that there's a point of no return in terms of optional quests before you enter the sewers when you go save Irina, it's best you make sure to complete every sidequest available before then, especially the ones given to you by the various people wearing a white uniform, the Mantroskilo Hunt in Balterossa, the Vespalia questline in Royotia and the quest with Ophelia in Melphina (Choose to side with Roberto on this one).
Other than these, you should be fine on your own, the first playthrough is locked on normal difficulty too so the game is quite easy as long as you understand the basics about deadlocks and build a passable set of unions, it doesn't really take much.
>>
>>1528817
I am not trying to be. I was responding to the anon that mentioned that "dotting" Min Saga was what he originally meant, but taken in the original tweet, it's the least likely option.
>>
>>1528824
>dotting
That's just the Japanese word for pixel art, and given that SE doesn't actually do pixel art anymore, it's not happening.
>>
>>1528832
All right. Don't they do pixel art for their gacha, though?
>>
Frontier 2's water color art will get butchered in a remaster if they do anything other than actually putting in the original assets at a higher resolution and with an aspect ration to fit modern HD monitors, and Japan isn't exactly known for preserving original assets from their old good stuff.
>>
>>1528847
They could be doing like the Legend of Mana remaster, which is a fine alternative imo
>>
>>1528832
They might not do it inhouse anymore but the Octopath team sure is going back to that, Re:UniverSe is also banking hard on pixel art, especially with the animation shorts.
>>
>>1528837
Some are and some aren't, and there's discussion online as to whether they're using new pixel art or just porting existing stuff. I don't care about gacha to comb through each model and compare them to the older games to look for discrepancies.
>>
>>1528847
I don't hate the mana series treatment of remakes to be desu
>>
>>1528852
The LoM remaster does look really good, but Frontier 2 has even more of a "painting" look than Mana did, and while the new brighter HD colors look fine for Mana, I don't think they'd preserve Frontier 2's art style as well.

>>1528860
1 good remake, 1 good looking remaster (so far) and then 1 that we don't talk about.
>>
>>1528862
>then 1 that we don't talk about.
... sword of mana?
>>
>>1528862
>1 that we don't talk about.
Two, actually.

Also, if anything, all the SaGa remasters have had, at the very least, a good direction, so I doubt they won't have the concerns you mention into account. The original team is still all there, etc
>>
>>1528857
Most of the enemy assets of R:U are taken from the original games, some are original to that game though.
Character sprites vary, there's the RS3 originals but everything else including alternative RS3 characters is brand new, and quite good on average I must say, easily on Bokuno levels of detail if not better.
>>
>>1528871
The Romancing remasters look really good except for some of the large monster animations, and the UI. I wish they'd stop giving a shit about mobile and make games with consoles and PC only in mind.
>>
File: 1541194728223610.jpg (39 KB, 600x466)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1528880
tell japan to stop using phones and maybe they will, as long as Squenix keeps making most of its revenue from phones you're gonna have to deal with it
>>
>>1528891
Sure. And then I'll tell them to stop being casuals and to start liking fantasy settings that aren't isekai with video game rules.
>>
File: 20210403161455_1.jpg (499 KB, 1920x1080)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
Okay seriously what do I do with this babby I've checked everywhere
>>
>>1528927
the most obvious answer is the correct one.
>>
>>1528928
oh wait no sorry i'm wrong, you're supposed to use the shard before you get the baby, go to the orphanage, go around and talk to everyone else if you want (actually this part is pretty good), leave the province, then come back and go to the theives hideout, then the forest hut, then take babby home and go back to forest hut after

for whatever reason only leonard's version of this quest is different
>>
>>1528950
It's probably because Leonard and Liza have a shitload of children later, kinda like how only Taria can see through Kreiza's bullshit and fight her true form as an option.
>>
>>1528927
Wouldn't it be nice if you could keep the baby? Just go full Lone Wolf & Cub and crush the final boss while holding him.
>>
>>1528880
I really hope they do that with the next project.
>>
>>1490039
I've been running away from an assload of enemies in RS2 and didn't know it got harder because of that. I should be fine but my equipment feels like it's falling behind.
>>
>>1529118
It's the only game where BR keeps growing even if you run away
>>
>>1530227
It doesn't in other games? I just don't fight that often, so I always end them.
>>
>>1530343
Nope, only in RS2, if you run away in the other games BR won't rise, it only rises when you win a battle.
Though in some of the games like Unlimited or SG you can't run away to begin with, it's best to learn how to juke things in RS2 rather than running away after initiating fights, if you do that too much you'll start noticing the disparity due to the BR ladder.
>>
Finished RS2 recently, what a fucking kino final boss and ending. This scene and seeing Coppelia in the storage room legit made me tear up.
>>
>>1530389
Nice, the ending hits really hard doesn't it?
>>
>>1530389
>kino
I thought it was pretty cool, why did you dislike it?
>>
>>1530411
It really did. I still liked RS3 better but they really nailed that sequence at the bar, helps that the soundtrack is kickass.
I do wish i picked the female Final Emperor though because of that incredibly annoying charm move, but thankfully i had a lot of anti-status equipment for my other man and the remaining party members were genderless
>>
>>1530449
Who did you use in RS3?

>>1530437
Kino means good/epic in the way it is used these days
>>
>>1530459
Monica. Was sad that i ended up needing to ditch Ward for the final part.
>>
>>1530449
I love how you see your last party demolishing random enemies during the credits as they go on with their own last adventures after the end of the game, and your last party members coming to pick you up at the tavern right after Leon, Gerard and Viktor's spirits fade away is such a good way to end the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ltEf1ioqc
>>
File: Fuse_and_Group.png (2.87 MB, 1185x1600)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
Something tells me Jojo fans will be all over this.
>>
File: t260g-image.jpg (1.24 MB, 1146x1655)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>1530648

why is her artwork so good
>>
File: SevenHeroesresize.png (2.85 MB, 1895x734)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
>>1530773
Her colourful style and aesthetic taste is a perfect fit for this series, it's stylish and with a clear Shoujo flavour, but at the same time very fairy tale-esque.
And she's a professional illustrator with decades worth of work, the fact that unlike a lot of modern artists she still sticks to inks and paper makes her stand out.
>>
>>1525701
Yikes.
>>
>>1523879
I fucking hate these types of posts
>>
File: Spoiler Image (320 KB, 710x252)
320 KB
320 KB PNG
>>
>>1530800
>tfw you will never be assimilated by roc
its not fair
>>
>>1524801
This fucking game keeps freezing for me in loading screens every few battles
>>
>>1530800
I would say that the distinguishing factor is within artists of her generation and prior, and not so much with more contemporary ones, in that she never even tried to make the switch to digital. A lot of digital natives are great, a lot of ink-and-paper/oils/etc artists are great but people who were able to convert successfully from ink to digital are very rare.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (788 KB, 2560x1440)
788 KB
788 KB JPG
>Only thing you get for beating the super boss is an item with no use
That's a bit disappointing.
>>
File: Romancing_Saga_088_089.jpg (3.89 MB, 4059x2918)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
>>1531788
Yeah you might be onto something there.
I think she just likes the medium more, she seems like that kind of person who's more concerned with mastering the tools of the trade more than the trade itself, and probably never had much interest in digital art to begin with, unlike Kaneko for instance who started transitioning to digital formats very early.
Now that I think about it this seems pretty common for women of their age when you look at illustrators like Kojima or Inomata, whereas male artists of that generation seem to have switched to digital more often, or maybe it's just my impression.
>>
>>1533087
I wouldn't know, to be fair.
>>
File: SaGa2_Espers_Art[1].png (783 KB, 800x683)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
Do you guys know who's the artist of the SaGa games on the Game Boy?
Going strong with that late-80s fantasy anime aesthetic.
>>
>>1533327
Katsutoshi Fujioka, I think.
>>
>>1530389
I thought I was just being a sap when I finished this and it made me tear up and get a bit emotional. It was such a good ending after a really good final boss.
>>
>>1531592
Unity memory leak, though it only happened every few hours on switch when i played, I still tried to save pretty often
>>
>>1533693
honestly RS2 and Frontier 2 were incredibly good invoking emotion throughout their respective stories and endings
>>
>>1533087
>>1530800
A good example would be Toriyama or Miura (Berserk). They had absolutely fantastic art when they were pen and paper but after the switch to digital they lost a lot of the flair.
>>
File: Miura_Digital.png (3.57 MB, 2034x1440)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB PNG
>>1534041
Miura is less about the switch and more about him being too busy playing idolshit to care. He can still do amazing things with digital.
>>
>>1534041
Both of them made the switch far too late in their career so they struggled with learning, Hagiwara also struggled when he first started, but he made the switch much earlier and mastered digital tools fast enough as a result, same with other early adopters like Terasawa.
Even Shirow eventually got good at it, outside of the Win98 tier CG models he still insists in using.
>>
which saga game should be my first?
>>
File: g03.jpg (173 KB, 580x391)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>1534258

salsa frontier in 8 days 1 hour 31 minutes
>>
So if I blew up the volcano without picking up the guitar I'm screwed right?
>>
>>1534275
no you can fail absolutely everything and still finish the game by grinding one spell school
>>
>>1534258
Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier are both fine, but personally I would recommend just getting the frontier remaster in a week.
>>
FUCK Temptation. It's the only thing keeping me from beating the final boss in Romancing SaGa 2. I've got Inteligo and two female party members, but having my two other males constantly murder my party is causing problems. I didn't pick up the Somon ring near the start of the game. Is there some way I can still get it? Any other pieces of equipment I can get to deal with it? I never sparked the temptation evade tech so I'm kinda shit out of luck on that.
>>
>>1534340
just use 4 moles and cast stonefall over and over
>>
https://twitter.com/saga_ichikawa/status/1379264659492986883
>>
>>1534340
If you missed the Somon Ring you can't get it anymore as the mansion will be locked.
However, both the Demonstone ring and the Intaglio ring also protect against Charm.
>>1534351
>4 moles
>RS2
>>
>>1534351
I've seen this posted many times and I don't get it, is it a meme or just one guy? You know that you can only have one mole on your team and stonefall is not very good single target damage for endgame?

>>1534340
Yes, there's another piece of equipment that protects against temptation: the demonstone ring (from the gemstone mine). It also has incredible resistances. And you don't have to worry about the downside because you're fighting the final boss.
It sounds like you already have the ring from Victor so you're playing with additional content. I haven't tested this but maybe if you give a character two earth rings they might be immune to temptation (since 128 resistance confers an immunity).
Otherwise you'll have to work around your male party member, using elixir / physic water frequently or simply leaving him dead.
Also remember to remove and replace skills you don't want your units to use while they're confused (unless they're immune) since even female characters are vulnerable to abyss gate. Much better to attack a single party member than it is to wipe your entire party with mirage slash.
>>
File: 20210406222443_1.jpg (526 KB, 2560x1440)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
>>1534425
>>1534429
I ended up beating it without much trouble as soon as I swapped some gear around. I also got lucky in that one of my male party members sparked Temptation evade somewhere during the fight, so I only had to deal with one party member causing problems, which wasn't too bad. Other than that I just had my martial artist and eastern guard cast revive on everyone whenever someone died. I wish more fights in RS2 were like the final boss. It's literally the only fight in the game that required me to do any strategizing and not just use my strongest techs/spells and heal when necessary.

The game was pretty fun overall, though. I've got RS3 and Scarlet Grace installed as well, but I preordered the Frontier remaster so I'll probably play them after that.
>>
File: 1617723049477.jpg (123 KB, 937x519)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1534445
Nice job lad.
>>
Hey guys, when you lose your LP in SaGa Frontier you just can't fight until rest at an inn, right?
>>
>>1534747

yes, but also you die in real life
>>
>>1534445
>the only fight in the game that required me to do any strategizing and not just use my strongest techs/spells and heal when necessary.
Probably because you grinded. I felt the same way on my first playthrough, but on my second I just played it as efficiently as possible (as in didn't waste unnecessary time fighting encounters) and it all was pretty balanced and I beat the game ~20 hours more quickly. You don't even gain access to these high-level spells like Reviver or Hasten Time unless you grind.
So yeah, I'd rather have the game "punish" me for playing inefficiently by making me waste my time than a Minstrel Song-esque ER system that may prevent easy powerleveling, but, at the same time, makes the game much more linear.
>>
>>1535558
I didn't grind, though. I just didn't run from most encounters in the game up until the last few hours. Towards the end I started fleeing from fights cause there were some areas that were absolutely flooded with way too many enemies and I got tired of fighting trash mobs. At the end of the game there were a lot of spells I was still missing. Didn't have a few of the fusion spells, didn't have dark magic or anything, didn't have hasten time or some of the other last tier spells. I didn't even get revive until the end of the game, and I had a dedicated spellcaster for several generations, which is why my pyrology and cosmology were even as high as they were.

I don't know if I'd consider not fleeing from every fight in the game "grinding."
>>
>>1534272
>>1534325
All right lads, I'll check it out once it comes out. Thanks.
>>
How are the PC ports of the SaGa games? I want Frontier but not sure whether to get it on Switch or PC.
>>
>>1536413
They're good, PC RS2 is also better than the Switch port.
>>
Is there a consensus on the best version of each SaGa game?
>>
>>1536590
The remasters are the definitive versions of the games, as for the platforms, PC is the best, Sony platforms are notable because of the cross save functionality between PS4 and Vita for the RS2/RS3 remasters.
The rest is remakes VS originals which is a matter of taste because the remakes end up making many mechanical changes to the original so it's really all about liking what they add or not, and the graphical overhaul, you'll find people who still swear by SNES RS1 over Minstrel Song.
The only exception I can think of is TLR, that one is better on PC, the recent remaster for consoles isn't worth getting despite a couple of nice QoL features, worse performance isn't worth it for me and I don't like the changes to lighting and shaders in the remaster.
>>
>>1535558
>I beat the game ~20 hours more quickly.
Because you knew where to go and what to do, not because you didn't grind. If you really want to beat the game fast it's much faster to grind.
That said, it's more fun to avoid leveling as a self imposed challenge. If you fight the seven heroes with weapon levels of about 10 then they can be relatively challenging and might require you to build a suitable party. Likewise you'll need some strategy and gear (and luck) to beat the final boss with weapon levels around 20.

>>1535569
The game has some balance issues to begin with but if you went through the bonus content you probably got more overpowered than the average player.
>>
>>1536413
They are mostly the same across the board, although surely there are some mods for the mobile tier UI in PC if you care about that. Only issue is that RS2 has some input lag on consoles outside of Vita and PC. Nothing that will break the game, but people notice.
>>
File: 1547075501614.gif (886 KB, 200x179)
886 KB
886 KB GIF
>mfw discovered elemental area changes right down in the middle of the 7H fight by using light cures and won that way

I didn't even know what was going on, shit just reversed to the first section
>>
File: 20210407200040_1.jpg (296 KB, 1920x1080)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>1530389
Just finished it, I agree it was a great ending. I didn't see what you were referring to in the spoilers though.
>>
>>1534387
So what does this mean, Minstrel Song and Unlimited SaGa HD?
>>
>>1537618
You won't see Coppelia's scene if you didn't have her as a inheritor.
The Romancing games' endings add little extra snippets to the epilogues depending on what you do through the game, most are just unlocked by completing questlines but some of those have other conditions.
>>
saga frontier out yet? announcement on artbook?
>>
the only saga games i've played are 2 (ds) and legend of legacy, where should i go from here? was looking to play/emulate on pc since i lost my 3ds recently
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8j-nBNkDq4
new trailer for frontier remaster
>>
>>1537627
It's very likely that they will keep going with the remasters in release order.
>>
>want to play all SaGa games
>already played FFL a couple years ago, but I feel like I have to do it again or it won't feel like a true series play-through (autism)
>things are still too fresh in my memory, so I google how to get through the game as fast as possible
>"just make a saw-wielding Warrior monster in the first world and solo everything, brah!"
>>
>>1537627
Just tell him what you want and he'll take notes, you can trust Ichikawa.
>>1538302
Anywhere you want really
>>
File: CoS.jpg (212 KB, 1200x1080)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1533341
>he came back for Collection of SaGa

I can't help but feel like something has been lost.
>>
>>1538796
I'm sure they'll go for Frontier 2 after this, but I'm afraid they'll skip Unlimited. That game wouldn't need much treatment at all, sprites are ridiculously good. Vanillaware was taking notes with that one.
>>
>>1538808
Clear case of ink-to-digital author not caring too much about texture/color.
>>
File: 1574365988871.gif (3.98 MB, 430x600)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
Pre-ordered like a chump but I just wanna support SaGa. Anyway it preloaded onto my Switch, excited for next week.
>>
File: SquareNoTomSawyer.jpg (68 KB, 780x588)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1533341
The guy behind this masterpiece.
>>
>>1538859
Every japanese artist was drawing black people like that back in the 80s.
>>
>>1538812
Then what's left? Only Romancing SaGa 1?
>>
>>1539627
Minstrel Song/RS1 if they bother. There have been people asking for the DS SaGa but I doubt they'll happen.
>>
>>1538854
...did blue seriously get asshurt enough to chuck fireballs at people
>>
File: yesitis.gif (2.05 MB, 480x271)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB GIF
>>1540077
>is Blue a total cunt?
>>
>>1538854
I am simply in awe at this.
>>
File: ReU_Unlimited.webm (2.75 MB, 430x600)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>1540362
The R:U pixel artists are pretty great
>>
>>1539627
Wonderswan SaGa 1

(Oh and I guess the DS remakes of 2&3)
>>
>>1540623
People have been bugging Ichi-P on twitter for those, knowing him he'll do his best to make those happen, if the series keeps on growing we have real good chances to see those, unless Bamco or Nintendo try to start shit I guess.
>>
theres no way in hell were getting the SaGa DS remakes ported or anytihng are we?
>tfw was dumb enough to think thats what the FFL collection was going to be
>>
>>1540928
Never say never.
Would you have thought we'd ever get Romancing SaGa 2 or 3 remastered and localized?
>>
File: 1436603275167.png (353 KB, 640x480)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
>>1538548

>a saga game
>receiving an 8 minute long narrated trailer that had some hint of effort put into it
>in the year 2021

I've run the math for the chances of this happening and the numbers simply don't add up
>>
File: 1592401867621.jpg (47 KB, 666x500)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1541004
They're really pushing them in the west now.
It's pretty fucking bizarre for us oldfags, after decades of getting fourth rate treatment, let's hope they don't give up and finally give this series the respect it deserves.
>>
File: tired.jpg (39 KB, 1024x756)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1541026
>>1541004
It's truly bizarre seeing SaGa get the treatment old fans have wanted it to get for so long, doubly so in the west, and quadruply so after unlimited.
I must have slipped into one of those alternate dimensions where things are almost exactly the same, except saga came out of the dumpster in exchange for covid.
>>
>>1538302
Wait for Frontier remaster.
>>
>>1541058
>>1541026
It seems like the RS3/SG joint release at 30 bucks each with discount in the same day strategy worked SOMEHOW
>>
>>1508681
Yeah, that's how it usually feels with SaGa final bosses. Creator, Arsenal, Saruin, Seven Heroes, The Destroyer, and Chaos are intense.
>>
>>1541448
I think it was a slow ball with two SNES games from Square did it. A little interest with RS2, then that gathered some fans, then when RS3 was announced more people were talking about it. Now it snow balled with people talking about Frontier since RS2 and 3 accumulated a decent amount of people.
>>
>>1537618
God, RS2 is almost the perfect rpg for me. If it wasn't for the tedious fucking menus you navigate to set up a new team. Takes me 30min just to get everyone prepared
>>
>>1533327
Wished they followed that art for the DS remakes. Still having a lot of fun playing SaGa 2 though. Kinda surprised, honestly wasn't expecting much and the art style was a bit of a turn off.
>>
>>1534387
Very glad that people are not asking for new remakes.
>>
>>1541586
Not gonna defend things like running around the research center to learn new spells every time, but they were still figuring things out back then and as you can see they did fix that immediately in RS3 by making the master syster fully menu based, it's still a 1993 game.
On the other hand I like some of the details like how you navigate Avalon itself, the shortcut to the research center by going through the sewers from the castle dungeon is a nice touch, same with the heroes' quarters, Avalon itself is a pretty big, interconnected level when you look at it.
I'd like for a new game to try using the same interconnected map design from the old Romancing series/Frontier, people like Soulsfags would love that kind of exploration too.
>>
>play RS2 up to Jauda
>started the scenario with Ato and Sekishusei
>an NPC talks about the bard heading north
>decide to pursue instruments instead and complete the volcano island quest
>generation skip
>proceed with Jauda quest and kill Wagnas (4th hero dead)
>find out I missed a Sekishusei fight and unlocking the Levante guard
>this is the Switch version so I missed a sidequest that requires all classes unlocked
I already botched the mermaid quest and I'm really tempted to do NG+
>>
>>1542234
Just finish the game and replay, you're forced to choose between a class and dark magic at some point anyway, you can't get "everything" in one go even if you follow a guide, and you still miss out on a lot of different quest routes that are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>1541026
>>1541058
Japan used to be the hardcore gamer country. Now they're all casuals who just play gachashit on their phones and VN style jrpg shovelware. SaGa has a better chance at selling to overseas nostalgiafags, and someone at SE realized that.
>>
>>1542277
LOL
>>
>>1542277
SaGa frontier is behind random VNs on steam for upcoming releases
>>
>>1541586
I don't mind running around recruiting characters, setting up gear, learning skills, etc BUT having to listen to the fucking court mage dialogue prompt every time you learn a new spell was too much.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (409 KB, 1920x1080)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
*sips*

Yep, I'm all set.
>>
>>1542477
You fucker you have it already?
>>
>>1542483
probably just some random screenshot, it doesnt have a physical release im pretty sure
>>
>>1542495
I'm a bit confused about this screenshot, though, how did the original work?
>>
File: Based_Matsuda.png (53 KB, 1123x292)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>1542109
>1993
Holy shit that puts things into perspective. For the time the game is ridiculously advanced, despite the clunkyness. Between Dragon Quest V and VI and between FF V and VI.
>>1541004
>>1541026
>>1541058
The financial dragging power of Romancing Saga Re Universe Gacha is scary. Almost makes me rethink my stance on mobage, the paypigs add a strong drive to release riskier games under gacha IPs, at the worst you can just count the expenses under advertising cost as it may drag new customers to the mobage.
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/21q2outline.pdf
>>
>>1542277
The series is doing fine over there, I think somebody, possibly Ichikawa, just took a look at the western market and tried to make a bet that the more western oriented crowd would enjoy the series if they knew about it.
Seeing WoTC link to that video from Kawazu talking about D&D is really odd and I doubt it wasn't coordinated by Squenix with this in mind to some degree.
>>
>>1542508
Yeah, if anything the reason we're getting so many remasters of SaGa is due to excess profit from gacha. Kind of the thing with newspapers' quality of journalism and the ad revenue lol. They're still doing it extremely safe, though: nothing new has come since Scarlet Grace after all, even if everybody's expecting a new SaGa release for this gen.
>>
>>1542527
Kawazu is literally working on something though.
>>
File: 1591885882140.png (66 KB, 897x952)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>1542534
>>
>>1542534
>>1542538
>preparations
Oh man. Better than nothing!
>>
>>1542538
Given that he's talking about preparations, would it be fair to assume production likely has all the relevant remasters (SF2, US, maybe RS1MS?) lined up before the new one? Games take a long time to make, and they've been keeping a one-game-per-year schedule (port of RS2, expanded port of SG, RS3, Collection of SaGa, SF1)
>>
>>1542556
This remaster for Frontier was probably to test and refine their AI upscaling and see what people think, Frontier 2 will probably be the same, they might adapt a couple of the extra chapters from Ginny's novel as extras while remastering the game in the same way.
Unlimited's might very well be the same though I wonder what they can even add there, maybe some new general quests but as it is the game has more than enough content so I guess they'll just rework a couple of things and add some QoL fixes here and there.
MS is the big problem, I doubt they'll be happy with just dumping the assets on a new engine and calling it a day, but at the same time a radical remake would cost time and money better spent on a new game...
>>
File: fred.webm (662 KB, 672x376)
662 KB
662 KB WEBM
he can't keep
>>
File: freder.webm (527 KB, 1920x1080)
527 KB
527 KB WEBM
getting away with it
>>
>>1542580
>>1542583
based
>>
>>1542495
pre-release means some people could have played the game like a year ago
>>
>>1542507
everytime you started a new character everything would reset except for the starting stats of characters which had 4 different versions dependent on how high a battle rank you achieved on the previous playthrough, so getting up to 800 HP and multiple Durahans would result in whichever character having better equipment or higher stats when you got them.

It was minor enough to be what you'd consider fun without breaking the game much
>>
>>1542618
Is this maintained in the remaster?
>>
>>1542644
Don't think so given the new NG+ mechanics
>>
>>1542656
Ohhh shit
>>
>>1542667
Don't quote me on this, it's not like I have the game so you'll never know, but it just makes sense for those old carryovers to not work with the new NG+ functions unless somehow you get to choose both.
>>
>>1542477
leak the game faggot
>>
>>1542277
Still can't get over the absurdity of this point.
>>
>>1542243
I saved the salamanders and I'm prioritising getting the classes. Even if I go forward with NG+, I would keep the old playthrough if I change my mind.
>>
>>1542573
in terms of unlimited they could fix and clean up the menus a bit. in terms of visuals and sprites they pretty much futureproofed without even realizing it. outside of small content addition, they could fix some glitches and shit like the no guns in chest that overseas version had for some reason but yeah thats just QoL at the end of the day
>>
>>1542508
>Almost makes me rethink my stance on mobage, the paypigs add a strong drive to release riskier games under gacha IPs,

The thing is, SaGa really seems to be an outlier in every regard. Think of all the other gachas being made, either of new properties or existing ones. How many have actually funneled the profits from their respective gachas into making new, riskier, "proper" games? The theory behind gachas is technically sound, but nothing meaningful has ever come from any of that, as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>1543328
Cygames managed to do it for GBFV and relink (lol), FEH, Idola phantasy star saga (though that mainly helped just helped them recover after episode 5 nearly killing the game) are a few examples but yeah
>>
>>1542474
yeah I think the court mage is what breaks my patience. Even though magic is incredibly strong in this game, i might do a playthrough with limited magic instead of trying to slap it on every character
>>
>>1543319
The menus don't really need anything in terms of fixing since a remaster will ideally have mouse support, which will solve what people dislike about those, being locked to controller macros for navigation.
I also don't want them to touch the menus because they're an integral part of the art direction unlike the other games where they're just a utility without a lot of thought put into the presentation.
>>1543328
SaGa's an outlier only because Squenix wouldn't give proper budget for the games, so they had to use mobage as a mean to self fund their stuff in a way, or rather justify investing in main games by showing they could bring in enough money.
The current SaGa Project division wouldn't have been a thing either if they didn't start printing record breaking amounts of money with Re:UniverSe, it's something that Squenix just couldn't ignore or downplay anymore.
>>
is it weird that I don't much feel bothered by the sprites and backgrounds but I really want to use the original text fonts?
>>
File: 20210405212303.png (3.35 MB, 1920x1080)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB PNG
>>1543487

become smooth.
>>
>>1543496
It's odd to look at the redrawn sprites and noticing all those particulars now.
I always thought Ciato was posing like a waiter or a butler, with one arm up as if holding a towel, and yet there he is actually crossing his arms.
>>
>>1543543
>I always thought Ciato was posing like a waiter or a butler, with one arm up as if holding a towel, and yet there he is actually crossing his arms.
lmao I thought he was a butler too. And people teased me when I said White Rose had curly, granny hair. How was I supposed to tell from the old dogshit resolution sprites?
>>
File: 20210405212325.png (1.48 MB, 1920x1080)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>1543543

for me, it's rouge
>>
>>1543579
>>
>if you deploy a 1 or 2 characters in frontier 2 their sprites are normally proportioned
>if you deploy 3 or 4 party members that's when they all get chibified
>tfw never noticed this for 20 years until recently
Goddamn I'm retarded
>>
>>1538548
who are you playing first fellas
I've played Red's the most so I'm thinking I'll do Asellus
>>
>>1543615
everyone will choose asellus so they can call the cops on orlouge and assist in his very canonical arrest
>>
>>1543615
T260G, she's my girl forever.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (46 KB, 640x480)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1543615

riki
>>
>>1543583
>no Woman or CommonMech

Garbo party composition.
>>
>>1543615
Never played SF but Red. I don't even like you but I'm starting to see the appeal.
>>
File: 66928196_p86.jpg (83 KB, 716x1011)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1543690
*Toku, not you
>>
>>1543615
I'll start with Emelia again. Guns and rune magic.
>>
>>1543641
idk for some reason T260G, Riki and Emilia's stories make me cry like a bitch

I don't even know why I mean it's not like I'll ever get to wear a white dress
>>
>>1543579
>Rouge is actually red
Unbelievable.
>>
File: 1424139259509.png (51 KB, 524x1200)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>1543692
Accept JUSTICE, friend.
>>
>>1543692
Red's story is classic, old school Toku goodness, it's a good introduction to the genre.
>>
>>1543627
>AIEEEEEE FUSE-SAMA DONT ARREST ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1543615
My first time was with Emelia, so I have a particular fondness for her route and doing it first.
>>
>>1543711
Other than WA2 and SF what RPG actually lets you toku and plays it straight?
>>
>>1508539
Spirits within was basically the catalyst but everything still circles back to Wada. Letting him in is something Suzuki and Sakaguchi likely still to this day lament.
>>
>>1542508
I'll admit I'm part of the problem. Anytime they have a gem sale in that mobage I clear out the store. And from the one IRL friend I got hooked who does the same, I don't doubt that there's other people that do the same.

But hey if it gets more saga
>>
>>1543873
is WA2 worth playing with the shit translation? My nipponese isn't that great. I've heard it's awful but is it totally incomprehensible or what?
>>
>>1544131
its retarded but has it's own sense of charm and it is actually playable
>>
>>1544131
>but is it totally incomprehensible
it has it's moments but is ultimately playable. WA2 gives me an existential crisis however with how bad that boss theme is.
>>
>>1544131
>My nipponese isn't that great
If you're already learning then just tough it out until you can play the game normally. The translation is really bad.
Source: I played it at least 5 times in English growing up because it was my favorite game and now I know moon.
>>
>>1544135
The background music is 10/10 everywhere else and the final boss music is kino
>>
File: 1582755946024.png (196 KB, 803x677)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>1543783

I started with Lute.
>>
>>1544158
Indeed. Everything else and the non standard boss music is terrific. Kanons theme? Great. The theme you'll actually be listening to in most boss fights? Great
Final boss music? Beautiful
The boss theme itself. Holy shit. I would learn programming if I could just to change that song to ram ranch.
>>
>>1544163
I'm sorry.
>>
>tfw started with asellus and took an entire day to find out how to escape instead of just being totally fucking hyped for the battle system and graphics
>>
>>1544163
I am so sorry...
>>
>>1544163
Honestly his scenario existing wouldn't even be so bad if you had to clear at least one other route first to act as a kind of free scenario mode for those that have already cleared the game once.
But just letting first time players choose it right from the start and with no explanation of how his route works?
That's straight up bad design.
If I had to choose just one thing to change I would honestly choose to put lute behind a game clear wall before fixing the gold/junk shop exploits.
>>
>>1544402
13 sentinels aegis rim locks certain characters behind having completed certain events
>>
>>1544402
getting softlocked in lute's scenario is a positive growth experience
>>
File: 2020-10-27-050858.jpg (84 KB, 960x544)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1543402
I did a playthrough without building the magic research laboratory (and some other things) and it was a nice change.
>>
>>1544445
>without building the magic research laboratory
How the hell did you pull that off?
>>
File: 2020-10-27-041125.jpg (128 KB, 960x544)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>1544462
For the most part it's not at all needed since a male court mage or a nereid is all you need for spellcasting. Just give the rest of your team some balms. I also got some spells for my empress by dying and for my final party I picked a couple units that started with the moonlight spell to use vs the meatball. For the most part I was just messing around trying out new things in my playthrough. I don't think avoiding the magic research laboratory would be much of a challenge by itself.
>>
>>1544417
First playthrough I thought it made the already complicated story and character interaction a mess. But by the end it all payed off and made me want to go through it again (despite literally getting the platinum on my first run). And for an Atlus game, I'm surprised it was that easy.
>>
>>1544490
I might try a playthrough like that. But I've never beaten Romsa 3 and I wanna at least get a good playthrough started before I replay SaGa Frontier 1 for the 3891821th time when it releases on steam.
>>
Pre purchased for the wallpaper and because the price is fair
>>
>>1543873
ZHP
>>
>>1544445
I'm imagining playing 7H without making the spellcasters (healers) invisible and I shiver at the thought of shit like the big wave.
>>
>>1544503
It was either making the platinum easy or making the casual players get through the already "controversial" RTS when it gets actually hard (the 1000 post game sessions)
>>
File: based anno.webm (2.83 MB, 624x480)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>1543690
>>1543692
become one of us
>>
>>1543615
prolly Asellus or Fuse. I really want to save Red for last since he's pretty much one of the best scenarios that should be saved for last
>>
>>1543873
Mostly licensed stuff like Hero Senki and the likes, original Toku RPGs are very, very rare.
There's games like Unlosing Ranger/ZHP too but the toku themes are mostly parodic and kind of a background element at the end of the day.
Of course if you want to generalize and just take things like having henshin then a lot of thing might qualify, like Legend of Dragoon, but that's not what I'd call Toku at all.
What I wouldn't give for a GARO RPG, or an original Toku RPG with Amemiya's designs.
>>
>>1544623
what is zhp tho
>>
>>1545597
Zettai Hero Project
>>
>>1544727
The Lady Hawk axe has Feather Seal which applies stealth to the user just like Mist Cover, so technically you don't need to fund the research center if that's your worry.
>>
>>1545604
I'm not sure that counts as "played straight"
>>
>>1545671
I don't think he was implying it did since he called it parodic.
>>
>>1542477
okay, that gave me a good laugh. the pain is real
>>
Is Frontier a good entry-point SaGa?
>>
>>1546336
one of the best, it's easy and has most of the mainstay trademarks of the series in one package
>>
File: RS3_Ward.png (373 KB, 400x547)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
I got filtered again by RS3. I reloaded an older save just after Monika running away from marriage. I met Ward, and the fish boss just destroys me. I've tried my best with my current team: Monika, Julian, Minstrel, Sherbert(Candy?) and Ward. Sherbert feels useless, dumb child.

Anyway this is the 2nd time I just bounced off after getting locked into an encounter, first rats now a fish. It's real demotivating.

Gonna reload an earlier save again.
>>
>>1546432
> I met Ward, and the fish boss just destroys me
Switch to commander mode.
>>
>>1546432
Start with Katarina(Fist), recruit Harid(Sword) and Nora(Club/Axe). If you can't make that work then I don't know what to tell you man.
>>
>>1546432
Actually never mind what I said about commander mode, let me explain things in detail a bit since you're clearly having problems understanding what you're doing wrong.
The boss in the frozen lake is a beginner boss that is there to teach you about two things, or three depending on how you look at it.
The first thing is elemental field control, you start on a field that is innately tuned to water magic, once the field is attuned (you see the bubble overlay), then the boss will start regenerating health for each round, you can avoid this by using spells of any school but water/Genbu and make sure the elemental balance stays neutral.
The second thing is that the boss as access to magic shields, that one freeze counter effect it applies means any attack with DIRECT properties trigger the counter effect, this means you want to work with indirect attacks (which you probably don't have), or have a good healer patch up whoever triggers the counter, alternatively you can abuse commander mode combination techs since those bypass counter stances and magic counters altogether.
The last thing you should know is that the boss is a Fish type, so you should try to use the correct modifiers on it, which is Pierce, pierce attacks are the most damaging, so rapier or spear users work the best, but since Ward himself is pretty much a powerhouse he doesn't really have any problem manhandling the thing with his Zweihander.
These are all things that will keep being relevant for the rest of the game, that one boss is just there to remind you to pay attention to those, you can beat it easily with that party of yours as long as you keep these things in mind.
>>
>>1546486
IDK man I'm pretty sure he just got memed into avoiding fights or something when you can basically fight everything that crosses your path and it's pretty much expected of you
>>
>>1546486
This actually made me understand one thing I just wasn't getting. I got as far as to realise the weird bubbles/winds/rocks with a colour tint were something related to the magic, but didn't realise I could influence it. Either I missed the game explaining it or I'm just dum.

Now I actually know that I've done it. Fish dead.
>>
>>1546520
i think it might be stated in the game if you can find the info dump npc in the northern territories
>>
>>1546512
RS3's normal encounters give you very little growth on average outside of some select dungeons, if you go straight to the frozen lake, which you very well can do, it's easy to get rekt by the petrified fish.
Granted that commander mode still destroys him even if you do speedrun right into it but you must know about it beforehand, it doesn't hurts to explain things in detail sometimes, these games are pretty open after all so there's a lot of scenarios to consider, newcomers can get easily confused.
>>1546520
Great, good job anon.
>>
>>1546542
>RS3's normal encounters give you very little growth on average outside of some select dungeons,
characters in RS3 start with stats at below cap when you start the game, you're supposed to get your characters in shape first, especially if you decided to fill your team with little girls
>>
>>1546547
Thinking about it you're probably right on that, it doesn't hurt to fight consistently for a bit in the beginning, I'm the one with the wrong mindset since I already know how to work around the game.
>>
File: sals.jpg (526 KB, 1920x1080)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
>Scrap is stuck being 4:3
>>
>>1547096
That's a shame, I know they were adding on details to make some of the areas widescreen but I guess it wouldn't been too complicated for this one. Where as in other screens it's just a matter of adding more plants and rocks or whatever
>>
File: sals.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>1547096

welp i guess that wasn't all
>>
It's likely me being autistic but something about byunei's fake form feels really nasty compared to her true form despite her being a bitch regardless of form
>>
there's no excuse to get filtered by RS2. it's really straight forward
>>
>>1547367
It's probably the babby

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.