[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 73 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Darklord.png (322 KB, 532x419)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
https://itch.io/jam/yourpgm-gamejam-3

Theme: Dark Lord
Deadline: April 8th
>>
Maybe should've put RPG Maker in the thread title, anon! I didn't notice it for a bit.
>>
>>1487936
This is fine. The last thread got nuked because some dummy decided to try to make it a "general" thread with all the fixings.
>>
>>1488116
Oh, yeah, that's no good. I warned them about doing that but nobody listens, huh?
>>
>>1487936
"Rpg Maker" is too exclusive.
If someone insists there's a better engine we should at least give them the chance to prove themselves wrong.
>>
>only three posters in the thread so far and one of them is nwn schizo
we're off to a great start
>>
I'm really digging that rainbow sword.
Unfortunately there's no SV Battler for the Dark Knight yet.
>>
>>1488193
I've started working on one.
>>
File: WIP.png (2.22 MB, 977x1485)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
Put RPG Maker in the title next time dipshit, also post progress.
>>
File: Dark Knight Mockup.png (35 KB, 369x158)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Anything (you) can do, I can do better.
I can do anything better than (you)
>>
>>1487603
Pic reminds me of Always.
>>
>>1489503
Makes me think of Charlie the Unicorn
>>
>>1489165
>boss unlocks flashbacks and power of friendship power up
Holy kinoly.
>>
>>1488142
Anon, the rules state the entry must be made in RPGM. I get where you're coming from but this was already rigged since the beginning.
>>
>>1489591
>go to chess match
>take out checker board
>nobody's interested
Wtf
>>
>>1487603
oh fuck I didn't see the dark lord theme before
>>
File: 1612546502795.jpg (158 KB, 793x974)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>1489165
>Monsters rise up by banding together
This looks like a fun premise.
>>
So you guys gonna make a game completely from scratch?
>>
>>1489793
It and the other guidelines are optional. I might go with it myself since restrictions beget ideas I normally wouldn't come up with, but don't throw out your game idea just yet
>>
>>1489793
It's more of a suggestion.
>>
Please don't think of Neverwinter Nights badly. It is a cool game, and a nice toolbox to screw around with for your friends, especially as a fan of D&D. It's just unfortunate that some random ideaguy thinks it's the apex of RPG creating, and comes into a thread with off-topic crap.
Thank you, that's all.
>>
>>1489165
If you need side view battlers, there's some good monster ones on http://p3x774.web.fc2.com/
>>
Is VXAce worth buying at all
>>
File: 1431761813361.gif (668 KB, 500x281)
668 KB
668 KB GIF
>have played around with other makers before
>decide to get 2k3 because it's crazy cheap
>the editor is just different enough from the other makers I've used that I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing
>>
>>1491000
If you don't have any other version of rpgm, sure. If you have MV already you don't really need it imo, though allegedly it runs better.
>>
>>1489490
I'm debating on making this a unique sprite with it's own poses and Sword Swing.
Or turn it into character generator parts. What do you guys think?
>>
>>1491255
Unique sprite! He's his own man!
>>
>>1489165
based
>>
I feel weird asking this, but do we just ride this thread down or do we remake with rpgmaker in the title? It's never been this slow before.
>>
>>1491621
Not your general.
Not your babysitter.
>>
>not your general
Correct.
>not your babysitter
Debatable.
>>
File: screenshot 2.png (210 KB, 818x656)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
Jam progress report? I'm still kind of floundering working on the opening cutscene. I have some good ideas for big moments but I'm still not sure how I'll tie it all together. Going with the ol' "eh it'll work itself out when I get there" approach.
>>
god give me the strength to open rpg maker mv
>>
>fiddling with the RMMV world map for the first time
the only way to get water on this fucker is with sand next to it are you FUCKING kidding me?
>>
>>1489490
the board is slow enough that you can find the thread easily anyway, so
>>
>>1492209
shift click
>>
I got distracted while using MZ and had to write an angry letter to the developers. Then I spent all day making it less angry.
And then I didn't send it because if they knew what they were doing or were willing to fix their product they would have done so by now.
>>
>>1491817
about to make all party member
>>
How many games can we expect from this one?
>>
>>1493270
The jam IS the game. It's very competitive. Violent even. You'll be lucky to come out with just broken fingers. Bones heal but your psyche will be scared for life.

You think it's your choice not to enter? That's a coping mechanism. You already lost the shadow game, and a piece of your soul.
>>
>>1493270
I think 5 people have "entered" the jam officially via itch but who knows? This thread has a whopping 15 posters in it so we could see as many as 6!
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 300x168)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
In the mean time, lets talk about the Dark Lord archetype.

On one end of the spectrum you have anti-social losers with Superiority complex.
>>
>>1493270
I joined in but I haven't start anything
>>
On the other end is a Saint turned Fallen Angel after losing faith in humanity.
>>
And everywhere in between is an affiliation with beastmen or monsters. Although this is mostly just a convention to make them an antagonist with an army.

A common trope as well have them coming from places of scarcity. Deserts. Have-nots, bearing grudges against those who enjoy excessive luxuries and toxic "liberties" (that's a French sentiment)
>>
File: 1615659865735.png (535 KB, 500x536)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
>>1487603
Question about the "Theme". Does the game have to focus on the Dark Lord as a playable character or could I, for example, still utilize the cliqué plot of Heroes set out on a journey to defeat the Dark Lord?
Had to rephrase the question.
>>
>>1493666
*cliché
God fucking damn it.
>>
>>1493666
Any way you want to do it is fine, anon. Dark Lord as an enemy, as an ally, as a love interest, as some kind of abstract entity that influences the plot without being directly involved, as a scapegoat who has nothing to do with anything, etc. Anything goes, just make what you want!
>>
File: 1610405862348.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1493712
Alrighty then, count me in. Haven't used RPG Maker in like 7+ years, but that jam sounds like too much fun.
Don't have/want an itch.io account, though. Will just post it here on the 8th.
GLHF everyone.
>>
>>1493610
There's a fair minority of stories that take "Dark" to mean dim, ignorant, or oblivious.

So they might not realize their own influence over others. or the consequences of their actions.

The worst fantasy novel I ever had the displeasure of reading had to do with an author getting pulled into the world of his own novel. But it became corrupted by videogame developers. What made it bad was mostly the constant jumping between locations and character perspectives.
>>
File: maou maris.png (89 KB, 640x480)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
I have the plot in mind already, but I can't decide on the gameplay. What should I do?
>>
>>1493589
For being such a set in stone cliche I kind of have trouble thinking of more than a few dark lords. The first thing that comes to mind for me is Disgaea, but that's played as a joke like 90% of the time. Second is the purple demon lord from rm2k, just because I like when he shows up in VIPRPGs.

Would we count Voldemort as one? What's the cutoff point? What is necessary to be a dark lord?
>>
>>1493860
What if it was just a cutesy item collecting game where you walk around her castle and catch your underlings slacking off and making sure they stay on task or something like that?
>>
>>1493897
Thanks I will keep it in mind.
>>
>>1493874
Dragon Quest's Dragonlord and all the other big bad guys that follow are pretty much the ur-examples I guess
>>
>>1493927
Sorry, I just realized that was more of a story suggestion. Maybe you could take a note from wizardry 4, and have her mostly rely on her underlings? They could also be used to solve puzzles, like summoning a bat to reach a treasure chest up on a cliff or something. And then in battle she could focus mostly on buffing her minions while they do they heavy lifting.
>>
>>1493932
Oh, I liked Dragonlord. I liked that his base form was kind of dweeby looking at that he offered to let you join his side. I do appreciate that the villains in DQ aren't usually tragic or misunderstood, they're just some asshole demon threatening the world.
>>
>>1493979
Eh it's actually DQ parody game I just haven't decide on their actual outfit so I just put them in regular clothes from now on.

I am not sure how to design joke warrior, like they already wearing bikini armor you can't go any lower than that.
>>
Oh hey, I didn't see this thread.
Drew some more character portraits and changed up the one on the right after getting feedback from other anons on the other thread. The script I'm writing for the game is still at the very start of the plot I had planned, so I might to need to make some cuts to the story to make it in time. Like last time, actually making the cutscenes and balancing the balances will probably be the hardest/most time consuming part.

>>1493860
I'd that maou! Very cute.
Honestly, I'd just have everyone in the party wearing bikini armor if you're going for a parody angle. I haven't played DQ so I don't know what'd make for a good DQ parody, though. That other anon's suggestion sounds fun.

>>1491817
Looking forward to the new Jet game!
Yeah, I have a bit of that problem as well. I don't use outlines when I'm writing very much, so I usually end up ad-libbing it as I go along while hoping that everything makes sense in the end.
>>
Is Sordis dead?
>>
File: 1605320401399.png (45 KB, 208x230)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Is itch about the same 'risk' as youtube for copyrighted music? If I'm just making this for a handful of basket weavers anyway then I at least want it to sound good, plus my real genius shines when I'm frankensteining other people's hard work together in new and terrible ways
>>
>>1487936
>>1488142
>>1489591
RPG Maker sucks. If you only want RPG Maker games then just stick it in one of the other RPG Maker threads.
>>
>>1494945
No idea personally but cmon, there's gotta be a trillion rpgm games on there, just change the filenames and maybe it'd be fine? You're also less likely to get in trouble for video game music.
>>
>>1494989
Where do you think you are, exactly?
>>
>>1495046
In a thread that doesn't mention RPGMaker anywhere and instead just "Dick Lord Theme game jam" so people think it's for any engine?
>>
>>1495059
Look at the url.
Click the url.
Read this:
>Rules
>You must use any version of RPG Maker. Other than that, go nuts.
>>
In RMMV, I want to add an item scanner type effect. I want the player to be able to press a button and then instantly detect items or secrets or whatever within a few tiles of them. However, MV has a massively small limitation on what keys it can detect by default (even fucking RM2K/3 could detect the number keys). Can anyone help me out here? Do I need a plugin that detects button presses?
>>
>>1494181
Cute gals! I really like the one on the right, she looks cool. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for this jam.
>>
>>1495607
Yes and no. Select keys are mapped for standard gamepads. MV also had touch inputs.

If you want "U" to do something you'd have to edit the key mapper in rpg_core.js and include the virtual key
85: "u",
and then, in a conditional branch use the script
Input.isPressed("u")

Personally, I'd just use touch inputs.
After all, MV and MZ were designed for mobile/web development.
>>
>>1495802
I ended up just having it detect pagup, which doubles as detecting "Q" in MV for some weird reason.
>>
File: screenshot 5.png (1.11 MB, 818x656)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
Slow going again today, but I've got some basic gameplay ideas down and I'm done with the intro. Honestly the most time consuming part of making games for me is the mapping, I just can't focus on it for more than like ten minutes at a time.

The good news is that this time, the intro is only about 7 minutes long before letting the player get into actual gameplay, unlike the 17 minute long intro Emilia had, haha.
>>
>>1495940
Q and W are like shoulder buttons on a gamepad.
Few people know this, but you can toggle character status and equipment screen with them.
>>
File: punyo05.jpg (126 KB, 640x584)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
Shit bros it's my day off and I've been awake for like 8 hours without even opening my jam project
>>
File: 1598010208323.png (550 KB, 631x643)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>1497568
>>
Dark lord more like Lard dork
>>
>>1497568
same but i'm gonna open it now
>>
File: WIP.png (3.63 MB, 1360x2220)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB PNG
Share whatever progress you've made on your jam entry.
>>
File: screenshot 6.png (626 KB, 813x1307)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>1497997
Got a laugh out of me, looking forward to playing your game anon.
>>
>>1497997
I don't know what happened to him, but he probably deserved it. Cheating at uno is a pretty grave offense.
>>
>>1498447
Looks like all that's left of the dude's house is a hole in the ground.
>>
>>1494181
>Looking forward to the new Jet game!
Thanks, anon! Here's hoping I actually manage to squeeze it out. Looking forward to your game, too.
>>
>>1497997
It's all in my head.
>>
But What if the Dork Lord is a witch?
>>
>>1499584
Women can be dork lords too.
>>
>>1499584
What if she's a fujoshi and she keeps sending her right hand demon nobleman out to cause trouble with the hero in hopes that they'll end up pulling a slow burn enemies-to-lovers and fucking?
>>
lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to + pomofocus.io = completed game btw
>>
File: nWxFfvV.jpg (517 KB, 1275x725)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>1491817
Working on my sidescrolling walking simulator
>>
>>1499665
That looks really cool! How long have you been working on it?
>>
>>1499584
my dark lord is a mesugaki
>>
File: 1606820059501.png (1.37 MB, 1266x5000)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
Not gonna lie, I spent the first 4-5 days just trying to come up with an idea for my story and am not confident whether I can make the gameplay the way I want it but I'm gonna try...
Also a friendly reminder for 2k/3 chads in the room, it's incredibly easy to get your RPG Maker game to play in-browser on itch io if you follow these simple instructions.
https://pastebin.com/1VtLTsAd
>>
>>1499692
can this work with vx ace?
>>
File: 1592017681781.png (86 KB, 1008x713)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>1499704
Not sure if it is possible in ACE, but it is confirmed possible for
>2k, 2k3
>MV, MZ
MV/MZ has a similar method but a lot simpler since it's slightly more modern and also has a built-in HTML option so your life is much easier.
>>
>>1499692
You can do it! Remember, simplify, simplify.
>>
i cant tell if the game i'm making is too angsty, i'm trying to include enough lighthearted and silly stuff in it too but yeesh
>>
>>1499584
What if collective nouns were adjectives?
>>
File: 1590628575162.png (15 KB, 642x512)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1499715
Believe me when I say I'm gonna have to if things don't look up by around the 5 days remaining mark.
>>
>>1499677
Start 2 weeks ago a lots of trial and error this is all i got right now, working on battler and enemies and bullet system next
>>
>>1500125
it hasn't even been a week
>>
File: Slave trader.png (459 KB, 819x632)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
>>
>>1500192
but it only said the due date is 8 april?
>>
>>1500299
It started 5 days ago.
Meaning you're avoiding the group activity to do your own thing.
>>
>>1500362
man 5 days and I still haven't finished the first map.
>>
>>1500404
Maybe you're over thinking it.
I just finished the 1st dungeon, but i'll add more visual flare later once i get everything else done.
>>
>>1500428
still making all the asset
>>
>>1500362
Ah alright then will keep posting progress If I can stick with it
>>
>>1500125
I like Gorro's design a lot, the /m/ stuff is cool, too. Looking forward to playing your game, anon.
>>
>>1500193
kek
>>
File: k9xgwkijy5r51[1].png (1.52 MB, 2048x1531)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>1500193
>>
don't design character while being horny.
>>
itch,io or rpgmaker.net for uploads?
>>
>>1501522
why not both?
>>
File: YouRPGJam#3]Battle.png (130 KB, 640x480)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
Made a bit of progress today. Music's almost done, and the battle system's going well so far.
>>
>>1501527
Woah, looks sick!
>>
>>1501524
I have some strange fear of itch.io because I'm someone who doesn't like to write paragraphs about things that might offend sensitive modern audience. Rpgmaker.net seem to be a bit more old school but as far as I understand your game needs be approved, hosted on another site and you can't just upload another version without additional hussle.
>>
>>1501665
don't be such a pussy, anon
>>
Anyone here have any experience with 2k3? I used VX when I was younger and I got 2k3 on a whim during the sale, but I have no idea what I'm doing with this weirdly jank old engine.
>>
>>1501837
What problems are you having, anon? The makers are all pretty similar with their eventing.
>>
>>1501665
>Getting pre-offended about hypothetical reactions
Never gonna make it
>>
>>1501665
Just put a disclaimer
If people get offended just tell them to learn to read
>>
>>1501665
Oh you are that anon. You won't even ever start making your game so don't worry about that.
>>
>>1501989
After futzing around with it a bit, it seems a lot of my problems were from the unfamiliar interface and limited tilesets, AKA I'm a retard who panics when he sees something unfamiliar.
>>
>>1502061
Hey, nah man, I feel that. I had to watch a bunch of tutorials on SRPG studio just because its interface is ever so slightly different from standard RPGM fare, it's normal.
>>
>>1501837
Just remember some golden rules and you'll be fine:
>Switches permanently erase an event, "erase event" only deletes it temporarily
>Variables can be used for when something has multiple outcomes and not just one (switches)
>Show picture is your friend
>You can switch off ATB battle system
>>
File: ohshitohfuck.jpg (101 KB, 1024x965)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>make a DQ-style front view turn based RPG for the first jam
>start making a DQ-style front view turn based RPG for the second jam but never finish it because reasons
>making a DQ-style front view turn based RPG as my main passion project
>new jam comes around
>realize several days into it that I am, in fact, making a DQ-style front view turn based RPG
I guess it's good to do what you know best, but I'm afraid I might be the most boring man on the planet.
>>
This kind of stuff look like fun, but I know I can't complete a project to save my life. All I can do is bitch about it and fish for pity (you)s
>>
>>1502358
You can't make one town and one dungeon using default assets?
>>
>>1502313
There's a reason front-view DQ style still exists to this day though. Don't try too hard to fix what isn't broken.
>>
>>1502373
There's quite a bit of work to transform Rpg Maker's battle system into Dragon Quest's.
It's practically it's own project.
>>
>Just watched my friend play through my game
>mashed through 99% of the text to get to the fights
i don't feel so good
>>
>>1502725
That's a dick move, honestly.
>>
>>1502358
just post unfinished project then, it's not like anyone will play it.
>>
>>1502785
>it's not like anyone will play it.
What makes you say that, anon?
>>
>>1502788
These threads are full of self serving Aspergers that'll carry on one sided conversations...about themselves.
>>
File: dls and views.png (2 KB, 169x70)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>1502800
Not trying to be all "wow look at my numbers" but are you implying that I downloaded my own games 71 times and that every time someone posted about them, it was actually me talking to myself about myself?
>>
>>1502808
What game
>>
>>1502808
Is this suppose to prove that you're not self obsessed? That you did download other people's games? You did discuss them?

Because you didn't. There are 0 community topics.
And it was me who forced discussion of the jam entries in these threads. Which was barely an acknowledgement; you guys wouldn't even repeat the name of 1 title.
>>
>>1502880
There was more talk about Sordis' absence than the participants.
>>
File: 1610544887420.png (3 KB, 359x97)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>1502808
Nodevs are just mad that nobody can appreciate the work they aren't doing.
>>
>>1502808
>>1502939
What games
>>
File: heck'n valid.png (5 KB, 359x97)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>1502920
And you know why? All they care about is elevating themselves.
>>
Can you peeps just continue with your jam game!?
>>
File: phillia.png (68 KB, 280x480)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>1503042
>>
File: 1589821850027.png (15 KB, 641x481)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1503042
Ok
>>
>>1503042
It's called a (you) jam for a reason.
>>
>>1503126
Looks boring.
>>
>>1503126
Looks cute!
>>
File: tenor.gif (401 KB, 220x184)
401 KB
401 KB GIF
>>
File: 1608301653412.jpg (11 KB, 201x251)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1503068
Cute art.
>>1503126
Not sure what I'm looking at, but keep at it, man.
>>
Man I should have just gotten 2k when I had the chance, MV's RTP is so uggo
>>
>>1503411
https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/rpgmaker2000/
They have all the assets. I'm sure you can convert them.
>>
>>1502880
>get absolutely fucked when you say WELL NOBODY WILL PLAY IT ANYWAY
>backpedal and try to change it to WELL YOU'RE TOO SELF OBSESSED
The only person here who is self obsessed is you. All you ever do is claim that you're the only one who starts conversations, or that this thread has any need for you at all. The only time you post is to make things about yourself or to be negative about other people because they're not acting how you want them to act.
>>
>>1502880
>>1503562
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention your other usual method of farming for (you)s, which is claiming that these jams aren't social enough. Unfortunately, you probably won't try that one, since this thread is full of proof that we're plenty social. Don't worry, schizo-kun, give it a few threads and you can go back to saying that over and over without any fear of getting caught.
>>
I'd like to make a new project for the game jam but then I can't even find stuff to write about my main h-rpg project which I haven't worked in over a month meaning if start a new project I'll probably won't know what to write about.
>>
File: otaku-weeaboo-room.jpg (219 KB, 930x618)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>1503562
Ok, I literally created this topic. I'm not the anon throwing a pity party, I just told him why he's not going to get any sympathy points from people like you.

It's unlikely anyone is upset because, well, they'd just leave. That's what real people do.
The way you choose to interpret posts doesn't make sense. But neither does your claim that I'm talking about myself by talking about you not talking about anyone else.

If you wanted to prove me wrong, that is, prove you are capable of taking an interest in other people without comparing them to yourself; then the logical thing to do is play the jam entries and summarize their contents and, you know, socialize without forming arguments. Thereby making yourself a valued human being capable of respect and understanding. And then maybe someone will have something nice to say about you.
But I think you've made it clear you don't give a shit what people think. I think you just want them to be behave like dolls and surround you with positivity and entertainment and treat you.
>>
>>1503126
Looks like Maou's assembling a harem or something this time. Good luck man, looking forward to it.

>>1503068
She's cute!
>>
>>1503733
Okay anon, sure. Here's screenshots of all my reviews that I posted in the first game jam.
>>
>>1503733
>>1503756
You're probably gonna flip shit and tell me that these posts weren't made by me, and that I'm just screenshotting random posts from the archive, but I don't really care if you decide to do that rather than be genuine.
>>
>>1503733
>>1503756
>>1503760
Don't have time to dig up my posts from the second jam, which means you'll reply with "UHHH BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST. I WIN THE CONVERSATION!" lmao.
>>
>>1503756
>>1503760
>>1503763
Not for nothing but the time you've spent trying to convince a mentally unstable person would've been better spent doing just about anything else and won't do anything to improve thread quality
>>
>>1503813
You're very correct.
>>
File: I can't look at (you).png (2.37 MB, 1934x1088)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
>>1503763
All I see is you making this about yourself and missing the point.
You are not a reward. Your high-5's aren't worth anything.
You're the type of person who thinks (you)s are some kind of stimulus check that only you can dispense, and without it people can't be productive.
Don't be stupid.

The jams aren't about "maeking gaems". It's about community spirit. And you're poisoning it.
Do I need to screenshot all the posts you made about the nodevs that failed to impress you and don't deserve acknowledgement?
Why do you think we're having this "conversation" in the first place? Why do you think there were fewer entries in jam #2? Oh. Everyone is Schizo. Because you don't agree with them. You're the fucking light of the world. Your perception outshines everyone else's. If you didn't see them. They don't exist. Or at most, they're all the same person, and they don't deserve (you).

I told you to review the games for a reason. Proving that you already reviewed the games doesn't negate that reason.
>>
>>1504085
>not good enough for me!!!
That's a wrap.
>>
Goddammit, why did none of the RPGMaker or the Game Dev thread let me know that a new Jam was already happe--
>sees thread
ah. that...explains it...
Oh well, will still try to get something out this time. Think a Time Attack game might be pretty good to bang out.
>>
>>1504085
Put a trip on and keep it on.
>>
File: 1603779673758.jpg (1.79 MB, 4672x1770)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>1504085
HOES MAD
>>
How's progress coming along, frens?
>>
>>1504446
Finished with the intro and the first dungeon, kind of floundering on where to go from here. I've got some unique-ish gameplay mechanics set up, too, but haven't even started balancing combat yet. Gonna have to buckle down and dig in pretty hard to finish this time, even though we have like 10 more days I still feel like I'm fucked.

>>1504238
You should definitely go for it, anon!
>>
File: Map WIP.png (253 KB, 722x555)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>>1504446
Working on my first project. I've got the world and events mostly mapped out, just only added details to the first island.
>>
File: Oasis WIP.png (238 KB, 751x575)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
>>1504659
I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>1504563
Good stuff, man.
>even though we have like 10 more days I still feel like I'm fucked.
I feel you on that one.

>>1504659
Lookin' good.
>>1504663
>I have no idea what I'm doing.
Don't sweat it, everyone has to start somewhere. Keep at it!
>>
>>1504659
>to the first island
You may want consider narrowing the scope. That islands alone have enough places to warrant enough content for small game and if you want to actually complete your project you mist limit the scope to manageable levels (speaking from experience).
Also looking good.
>>
>>1505251
To clarify that screencap is the full map, the first island specifically is the top area with the village and volcano. I've just been reworking the look of the land masses below that. So far the idea is to have small dungeons in the volcano, crevice, and the tower with a final boss at the shrine in the south.
>>1504727
Thanks anon, it's slow going but I think I'm getting a hold of things here.
>>
>>1503733
>Ok, I literally created this topic.
Can you put RPG Maker somewhere in the OP next time so my filter picks it up? Thanks.
>>
What's an actually good source to learn pixel art? Most of the blogs I've read tend to have the "draw the rest of the fucking owl" problem.
My skill level is that I'm OK at 2d sketching, and have been exposed to pixel art my whole life but never analyzed it until now.
>>
>>1505369
If you weren't just here to start shit, you could have filtered this thread days ago, when it was made extremely clear to you.
>>
File: easy bro.jpg (10 KB, 385x103)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1505397
>>
>>1504248
What point do you think you're making with this?
>>
I want to join the jam but I'm having a hard time forming a new idea
>>
>>1505766
Somebody ate the dark lord's pudding, so he goes on a rampage looking for who did it.
>>
>>1505779
Isn't that the plot of the first Prinny game?
>>
>>1505796
Haven't played it so I wouldn't know, but even if it is, one random anon's delivery of the same story would probably end up being completely different.
>>
>>1505779
The Dark Lord's funny cat images blog gets one upped by a mysterious foe's funny cat images blog when they start adding funny dog images to the lineup. The Dark Lord goes on a rampage to put a stop to this, as there's no fucking WAY funny dogs will ever be funnier than funny cats.
>>
>>1505766
you don't have to write 30 hours long novel you know.
>>
>>1506028
Yeah but my problem is I normally make longer stories. I'm trying to think of something that can be wrapped up within 30 minutes or so.
>>
>>1506049
scaling down the plot or gameplay is one of the most important thing to learn.
>>
>managed to get a cool super mode working for one of my characters
I don't usually mess with in-battle events and I'm doing a lot of that this time, I hope it pays off rather than ending up just making the game a pain in the ass to play.
>>
None of my keys except X are working for rpgmaker 2003
does anyone know what the problem is? It was working just fine a few hours ago
>>
>>1506373
>devs say theyre pulling support
>suddenly rm2k3 mysteriously stops working properly
Did... Did they break it to try and force us to buy MZ?
>>
File: P-Progress....jpg (268 KB, 1080x1042)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>
File: cc.jpg (10 KB, 300x300)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>9 days left
Not gonna make it
>>
>>1508122
>9 whole days left
We're! Gonna make it! We have no choice but to make it!
Even though I'm currently in the "is this even fun? Is this even funny? Is this even worth finishing" phase of my work cycle!
>>
File: 1610154127565.jpg (100 KB, 843x1024)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
I've not worked on my game the last three days, I'm gonna have to crunch now. How was I supposed to know that my decisions have consequences?
>>
>>1509302
>9 days left
>crunch
anon that's not crunch, you're gonna be fine. you might have to cut a few things but you'll be fine.
>>
>>1509399
As with my previous Jam entries, my game is doing that thing where nothing looks like it's gonna work out at all, but suddenly starts to come together all around the same time.
I've learned to have faith in the process, but it still always makes me nervous if I think of it in terms of time remaining.
>>
File: D-pvpzRUEAA6n_z.jpg (76 KB, 1200x1200)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1509302
I've been working on mine non stop.
>>
God writing dialogue is so fucking hard. It's so hard to keep things concise and interesting while still supplying all the information you want to supply.
>>
>>1509904
I know exactly what you mean. My instincts is to drizzle it on and do a slow burn. But in a jam you have to cut to the chase
>>
>>1510084
"Hi. I'm the Dark Lord, and this is Jackass."
>>
>>1509722
6 hours a day and I felt nauseous already
>>
File: 91xpbj-AYuL.jpg (767 KB, 1687x2546)
767 KB
767 KB JPG
Next Jam should be isekai themed.
>>
File: 7b7.png (497 KB, 1332x744)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>1510224
>>
>>1510737
and I need to scrap my last 10 or so hours of work because I forgot one important stuff.

then again I learned to never forget to flip canvas ever again.
>>
Do people hate midi music in everything past RM 2003?
>>
>>1510811
What could you have possibly done that undoes 10 hours worth of work? Is there no way to salvage it? The worst screwups I've ever done set me back like an hour at worst of having to redo entire switch/variable setups, but I've long since learned how to mitigate such risks in my workflow.
>>1510736
I'm unironically prepared for this theme but I'm not sure I actually want to do it.
>>
>>1510911
Well I don't have to spend another 10 hours to get back where I start, but it's still a setback.
>>
File: How could you.png (18 KB, 141x233)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>1510084
Right? Things escalate so quickly it comes off as absurd.
But who's to say I didn't mean to do it that way?
>>
>>1510970
>that image
>that filename
Can't wait to play, anon, that's some funny stuff.
>>
a-anons...?
>>
File: 1591758000483.png (7 KB, 639x508)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>1513687
Too busy making to care about the thread
>>
>extremely high chance to inflict blind but blind only gives like a 30% chance to miss
>medium chance to inflict blind but blind gives a high chance to miss
which do i do? how do i balance this?

>>1513700
very based. hoping to make some good progress tonight and tomorrow.
>>
I'm kind of burned oot and sick of hearing the same BGM of my maps.
>>
>>1513781
>BGM
i feel that. i wish that there was a really good and quick place to get a ton of free music, but trawling for it is kind of a pain.
>>
>can't get a certain battle mechanic to work exactly how i want it to
>could be somewhat frustrating if the player plans ahead perfectly and it doesn't work out as a result of how shit works in the dbs
i don't want to delete a mechanic that i've already spent kind of a lot of effort on but at this rate i'm probably gonna have to, fuckkkkk
>>
>>1513844
never mind, after spending 2 hours fiddling with this shit, it's only immediately after i make a post complaining about not being able to solve the problem that i manage to fix things.
the mechanic itself is kind of a pain in the butt for the player, probably, but i bet it'll also feel pretty good to successfully plan around, so there's that.
>>
>>1513847
good work anon. now take notes on how you fixed it in case a similar problem arises in the future.
>>
File: Animal Crackers.png (516 KB, 814x620)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
>>
>>1487603
Unfortunately, not going to put anything into the jam, but I am doing more work on my first game. Doing spritework for the first time, and it's actually way more fun than I thought it would be. Kinda underestimated how long a script takes to write though.
>>
>>1514708
It's not the scriptwriting that takes a long time... It's getting all the other shit together so you have somewhere to put your script without it just being text dumps.
>>
Not jam related but i've been messing around with MV. Here's some thing i managed to put together,
still very basic and unfinished so i would be very appreciated if there is some feedback on the eventing.
https://mega.nz/file/rJtygBLD#0nmJSUE9Os3bxqsTeseC4X1oaAbM5UaLLKZZFvXu0Vs
>>
Does average game on itch.io gets more downloads than average game on rpgmaker.net?
>>
File: juno4.png (66 KB, 280x480)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
How's the progress?
>>
Need some mapping inspiration/ripoff basis for castle interiors
If you've got anything lying around to help then I'd really appreciate it
>>
File: 1601281707811.jpg (29 KB, 960x960)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>7 days left for me to put in 2 more chapters and set up the battle system
Hopefully I don't lose motivation like I usually do.
>>
File: screens.png (1.33 MB, 2462x1316)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>1515023
The slime I ran into broke the game. Looks like a picture file is missing. I got a bit further by avoiding enemies, but when I ran into the catgirl enemy the same file was missing so that's where I got stuck. The game balance stuff is still pretty much untouched, so I'm just gonna comment on technical things:
-Killing a slime doesn't seem to give any Gold, XP, or SP.
-You start out with Fire 1 and Fire 2 already learned, but you can still learn them again in the skill tree.
-There's a roof you can walk on top of (second screenshot)
-The walls are kind of inconsistent in places (screens 3 and 5)
-In screen 4, if you stand in that spot and then press down, you'll walk to the spot in the dirt and then transfer to the next map, which feels really weird. I'd recommend making those spots with the tall grass also transfer to the next screen over, instead of just the dirt road spot.
If you fix up the crash bug I'd be happy to play through the rest of what you've got so far, anon! It's pretty basic so far but you've also got a leg up on many other users (for example, you clearly know how switches work).
>>
>>1515074
Slow. Today's my day off and I was supposed to work on it, but I haven't even opened RPGM. My brain is telling me "eh this kinda sucks don't bother" but I know that's just my lazy ass trying to convince me to play video games instead of being productive.

>>1515113
Look up the maps in classic JRPGs like the SNES Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests.
>>
File: DRV.png (254 KB, 818x656)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>1515074
Only got started today, managed to make this as my first RPG Maker map in probably 13 years
Planning for a total of 6 more rooms so hopefully I'm not too ambitious for 7 days
>>
>>1516099
Lookin' good. Keep at it.
>>
First ever character sprites done. Look pretty shitty, but glad I did it. One more to do from scratch before I can work on my intro.
>>
>>1516634
I would like to see these sprites.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (40 KB, 144x192)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>1516643
I dunno man, they're pretty awful. But i guess if I'm gonna put it in the game anyway...
>>
File: dakon.jpg (19 KB, 219x282)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1513781
I'll make you a song, anon. Tell me what you want, what feel you're going for, and I'll do it. My calling card is this powerful ape.
>>
>>1516647
For your first ever sprites, those look pretty neat, anon. Maybe the arms go flying a little bit far out to the sides but it's pretty good for a first effort.
>>
>>1516662
thanks anon, it's nice to hear that. Yeah, I do agree with those arms, I'll try to work on those.
>>
i cant do it man i can't make any more maps i fucking hate making maps so much, i've genuinely been slacking for 3 days to avoid making another map, somebody, please tell my family i loved them
>>
>>1516814
I am sick of drawing who's the idiot that thought game with 4 characters each with 2 costumes would be a good idea
>>
Everything was going good. But then I discovered a bug with a plug in.
>>
Do you usually play rpgs for the gameplay or story?
>>
>>1517431
Usually, yeah.
>>
File: 1615335339449.jpg (195 KB, 702x615)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Thursday's gone by along with all the days that came before it and all I have is some test maps and open but unfinished chrome tabs on how to swap in custom sprites. If I don't post something resembling a game with some non-default assets here by Friday then feel free to call me a nodev faggot and all that
>>
>>1517463
can I call you a nodev faggot anyway?
>>
>>1517509
Well... I'll think about it
>>
>>1517363
aaand now it's fixed, new, and improved.
>>
>made my game too big again
Not gonna make it
>>
What I find challenging about this 2 dungeons 2 bosses thing is the added story contrivance of moving to another location. It's not very intuitive.

It's like beating Silent Hill, but then you got to make up an excuse to go to Raccoon City afterwards.
>>
>>1517959
As the page states, feel free to do whatever you want to.
>>
>>1517959
Just make a dungeon within a dungeon
>>
>>1517959
you don't have to follow the guidelines exactly
>>
>>1518412
You're the kind of asshole friends that agree to cosplay for a movie premiere and then shun the one who actually does.
>>
>>1518530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZu3P0OsQPk
>>
>>1518530
But i'm also the friend that is gonna make the 1 dude who didn't dress up go home.
>>
>>1519185
Isn't*, fuck.
>>
im gonna, i'm gonna do it. im gonna open rpgm
>>
>pushed too hard and didn't sleep much one night trying to do extra work on my game
>oversleep the next day and feel sick as shit, do fuck all
>tried to gain a few extra hours but lost most of a day in the process
the world is cruel as fuck. thankfully I don't think it'll be a big problem.
>>
anons are dropping like flies as they race to complete their games before the deadline sets in dooming us all, they're heroes and they deserve (you)r respect, who will survive to the finish line, only time will tell as we wait for the curtain to drop 6 days 2 hours and 46 minutes from now
>>
File: screenshot 7.png (232 KB, 818x656)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
A few days ago I was moaning about how I didn't think I'd be able to finish this time, but I actually don't have much further to go, I guess. A few more cutscenes, one more dungeon, and the ending is all that's left. Let's keep pushing, anons.
>>
>>1520385
Man good thing I posted this screenshot that's a weird spot for a comma.
>>
>>1520078
I finshed everything, now onto the actual game.
>>
is it okay to let some simple common event continuously ran in the background? some event that equalize a variable to a number of item in inventory.
>>
>>1520961
I haven't had any issues with that yet, just be sure not to have too many running parallel at one because it'll affect performance.
>>
>>1521261
This is why lately I'm a fan of keeping fewer common events in parallel and focusing on keeping parallel events confined to maps, when possible. But, that's mostly down to my overall design anyhow.
>>
>>1520961
Not for something like that.
>>
5 days left and I'm feeling confident
We're all gonna make it, or at least hack together an ending at the last second
>>
Remember when we had more than 10 participants but less than half finished their games? Good times.
>>
>>1521879
i have a good feeling about this one.
>>
>>1521879
there are only 7 people that joined the jam now
>>
>>1523708
You realize itch.io is a completely different social platform; and nothing about the Jam page says anything about 4chan or /vrpg/ ?

Those 7 people could easily be people who hangout exclusively on itch, who took an initial interest in the jam. But won't participate because the community page shows 0 activity - they'll see it as a dud.

There are people on Itch who'll submit the same project to multiple jams if they apply. So they're not really participating within the framework of the group activity. I call these people "dense", which is a polite way of putting it.

This thread shows some development. But also repulsive and toxic behavior that'll drive most people away. Leaving just the "dense" people - who march to the beat of their own drum.
>>
>>1524660
Are you making a game?
>>
>>1524783
I've been done for a while now.
>>
>>1524660
This post got me curious, so I decided to check out a bunch of the recommended jams on itch.
>48 joined, 2 posts
>734 joined, 21 posts
>297 joined, 8 posts
>1327 joined, 86 posts
>126 joined, 2 posts
Etc, etc. I wonder why this is? My best guess is that these game jam pages are created and used for hosting jams while the actual conversation takes place elsewhere. I find it difficult to believe the are all completely unrelated strangers with nothing in common who just all happened to join the same jam and don't have any interest in discussing their work, so they're probably doing it somewhere else, same as we are.
>>
>>1524660
>7 people
yeah, make it 6 cause I am not gonna make it.
>>
>>1524971
Working in teams is just common sense. Unless you're a RPGMakerWeb Moderator.
>>
>>1524977
Looking at the threads, it's almost all absolute beginner questions ("how do i make a button in unity? how do switches work in rpgm? help me make my first game!") and "looking for team to make my game for me" type threads. There are a few on-topic threads where people ask questions, only to have every suggestion they make be shut down by the jam's host (until said host is pressed further, at which point they begrudgingly change the rules). The jam forum (is that the right word?) with the most posts, 86, was also the one with dozens of completely redundant topics: questions that could be answered by reading the jam page, questions that already have multiple other threads asking the same question, "lol this is guna be fun" type posts, and perhaps the strangest of all, "i know this jam is mspaint themed but am i allowed to use a different program to make my art assets?"

Additionally, many of the game jam pages refer to a discord, and many of the question threads get responses such as "go ask on the discord," and "have you checked the help thread in the discord?" Huh. Is this how a jam is supposed to look?
>>
>>1525052
>Supportive and spirited
No. You're suppose to turn everything into a debate and demonstrate why nobody wanted anything to do with you by evaluating everyone's performance that fail to impress you, and ignore the people who do.
>>
>>1525317
Huh. I wonder if that's what really happens. Now I'm looking at completed jams to see about the aftermath and there's a TON of threads with the concept of "if you play my game and rate it, I'll play your game and rate it."
>>
File: Spoiler Image (681 KB, 816x621)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
Gotta take a break from game development to celebrate the resurrection of our lord and savior.
Happy Easter.
>>
File: 1602832137284.jpg (91 KB, 720x712)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>no motivation during the day for jam
>immense motivation around midnight
Why
>>
>>1525859
Because during the day if you get motivated you actually have to work, but if you're motivated by midnight you at least subconsciously have the "but it's so late" excuse to not do work and just daydream, it's like getting the motivation to work right when you should be getting ready to do something way less fun
You're going to have to force yourself to work during the day until it becomes a habit, I will say that getting started is the hardest part but once you're actually working you'll be enjoying yourself
>>
>>1525859
personally, i only manage to get into work mode at night because that's when i'm usually home from my job. my body and brain are used to that specific timeframe for game dev, so even though i want to spend my whole day off working on my game, i end up piddling around til its dark out.
>>
There is something to night brain vs day brain.

During the day you're more analytical. At night, free associated. But i think it also has to do with decision fatigue and using so much mental energy that by the end of the day - you're out of fucks to give.
>>
I've lost my confidence in what I'm working on, but I'm still gonna try to finish it.
>>
I still can't get over how weirdly lacking RMMV's RTP tiles are. How can you not have graphics for a long table? I'm stuck putting a bunch of mini tables next to each other and it looks kind of dumb.
>>
File: table.png (34 KB, 493x231)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>1527667
But it does have it?
>>
For my mc, should I give them a red or grey robo-arm? Doing sprites now.
>>
File: c3po-red-arm.jpg (84 KB, 990x696)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1528121
grey unless you want to write a mini novel about why his robot arm is red
>>
>>1528121
Red arm will look cooler
>>
File: the ring.jpg (68 KB, 700x300)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
3 more days.
>>
>>1528674
Time is moving too fast bros...
>>
>>1525052
>mspaint themed
Damn, that sounds way more fun than the uninspired themes chosen so far.
>>
>>1528674
the more I read my dialogues the more cringe it become
>>
>>1527871
Oh, embarrassing. I must be fucking blind. Cheers, anon.

>>1528674
>wasted my entire day off
I don't think I'll have time to make the art assets I wanted to make but I should at least be able to finish the story.
>>
>>1528986
Considering we can barely get full RTP games out the door in more than 2 weeks, I think it'd be asking a bit much to have everyone making their own assets on top of everything else.
>>
>>1529797
Yeah, fair point.

I can't help thinking it would be a lot of fun to impose a rule like "You have to use an asset you start drawing and there are no do-overs". At least this would make asset making fairly quick as well, cause you only have one chance to draw it and then you have to use it.
>>
>>1530099
Damn, I'd love to see all the crazy shit that comes out of that. Maybe next time we'll have to rip that idea off.
>>
It's gonna be a close one, man.
>>
>>1531540
more like not gonna make it
>>
>deadline soon
>still can't stop slacking
>>
>>1532091
I guess I will have to miss this jam too
>>
Fuck it, I'm pulling three all nighters if I have to
If I can't finish this game now I'll be pissed at myself for months
>>
The story is ALMOST done. I might have to ditch having battles completely if I can't make it.
>>
>almost done with the main story, finally came up with a decently satisfying resolution to the plot
>half a dungeon left to make
>couple more enemy types and the final boss to balance out
>need to make more use of the subsystem i had a lot of in the first half but not so much in the second
ahhhh help meeee i'm being crunched
>>
>>1517959
>It's like beating Silent Hill, but then you got to make up an excuse to go to Raccoon City afterwards.
but fuck if that doesn't sound interesting
>>
i'm doing it, i'm opening rmmv!
>>
File: screenshot 8.png (215 KB, 818x656)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
We're in there. Two or three more screens of this dungeon, boss fight, epilogue, testing, balancing, and we're done. If I can finish a few of the things on that list tonight, I might actually manage to make some original art assets, too. Fingers crossed! Hope you guys are hanging in there as well.
>>
File: file.png (23 KB, 438x184)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>testing game from the start to check for bugs
>no fancy scripts or plugin
>this happened
HOW HOW HOW
>>
>>1534644
You haven't edited any of the scripts at all and that's happening? That's super fucked up. When does it happen?
>>
>>1534657
I accidentally left an additional "\". it really surprises how easy to break VX ACE.
>>
>>1534665
Oh, you found it already? Thank god, don't scare me like that.
>>
>>1534665
see this is why i don't touch ANY scripting shit. you might say i'm wasting the full potential of the engine but the idea of that happening is enough to put me on tilt.
>>
how do you guys feel about asset mixing? i'm planning on using an RTP enemy for my final boss only, and the rest of them are gonna be from a free pack that has a pretty good variety, but none of them are quite exactly what i want for the finale.
>>
Sequel to Hentai Slime when?
>>
>>1535118
screenshots/animations to show? checked dl and f95, and I'm not getting anything.
>>
Well shit I can't balance my game right
>>
>>1536152
What's the problem?
>>
>>1536215
I am making a puzzle rpg game where the only way to power up is to use item. The problem is there are 4 characters in the party and I am not sure how to incentive player to spread the stats boosting item evenly instead dumping it on a single character.
>>
>>1536242
Hmmm... There's a couple things you could do.
1. Impose a hard limit on how many stat boosts each character can get.
2. Allow the player to respec any time at no cost.
3. Just trust your players, I guess?
I don't know how realistic it would be to try implementing this stuff when all we have left is today and tomorrow, but if the bulk of your work is done it's worth thinking about imo.
>>
>>1536242
It'll depend on just how you plan on setting up the kits for your characters but maybe you could make it so that bosses or enemies have specific immunities so someone who just dumps everything on one character would end up getting screwed when they run into an enemy that they can't deal with alone?
>>
My head's dizzy from all the game making bros...
>>
>>1536500
If you can survive just a day longer you'll get something like double digit downloads and the satisfaction of a complete project
Hang in there anon, you can pull it off
>>
Done my best but work is being too much these days and I won't make it this time. Just passing by to say good luck to all of you and that I'm looking forward to playing all your games.
>>
>>1537046
Sorry to hear that, anon. If you feel like finishing it anyway, please share.
>>
24 hours left

if you want to give up, do it now
>>
>>1538183
i've just finished the last few event-heavy cutscenes, all that's left is a little more dialogue. then i can go back and playtest, fine tune, check for bugs, and upload. a few days ago i was pretty sure i was fucked, but at the rate i'm going i might be able to do a little extra.
>>
>>1538183
I've been working on my other more ambitious project anyways
>>
It really feels like I'm trying too hard. Should've made a smaller game.
>>
>>1538488
my opening scene is like 10 minutes long, and that's after I trimmed everything down
>>
>failed to finish my jam game because of IRL issues
>working on the jam pulled me out of a slump and encouraged me to work on my main project for the first time in months
Everything turned out better than expected.
>>
>>1538596
I'm gonna be up front and say I didn't finish my jam game because I flat out stopped working on it around day 10-11 because there were just other things I wanted to do that weren't making my game. Not coping, just being honest.
Immediately after the last jam I went on a mild 恋愛 game kick and blew through Tokimeki Memorial 2, Kimi-Kiss, and spent an amount of time I'm not proud of on Amagami and all of its extra materials (besides the anime) so I thought it'd be cool to try and take the best parts of all of those and RPG Maker it. Which was an awesome idea. "Tokimeki Maou-sama" was the placeholder title I'd been using until I could think of something better.
>Dark Lord gets heckled by a hero for not having a girlfriend during a routine raid on his castle, dark lord decides to do whatever it takes to get a date for an upcoming spring fair
>3 romanceable characters
>different endings based on who you court and how far you make it down their routes before the spring fair starts (special endings for unusual routing or meeting certain special conditions as well)
This game was a test bed of sorts for a few things that I'll probably use later on in a different jam
>Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter SOL restart-like system (easier to do than I expected) that allows you to back out of events without consequence, "skip-clear" previously cleared events on NG+ runs to speed up trying different combinations of events and event orders, ability to NG+ at any time while keeping things that will make your next run easier
>Amagami-like event grid, all events are isolated "episodes" making it really easy to do wildly different events while avoiding the hassle of keeping an overworld map, also having the result of making the game super easy to expand. Also very economical in that you can easily tie NPCs/events to the activation of one specific map event and get good mileage out of the same maps if you want.
To those who are submitting to this jam, I look forward to your games.
>>
File: 1604134275797.png (23 KB, 362x120)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1538669
My only apology is that none of you will get to romance the sexy Princess... for now.
>>
>>1537702
Sure thing. Definately going to upload it once it's done. Thanks anon!
>>
I finally did the one thing I was putting off all week so now I can finally blitz my game in less than 24 hours
>>
>Goburinbro didn't finish his jam game
wtf... I'm sad now
>>
>>1538669
>Not coping
>proceeds to slam down a wall of text
Ok.
>>
>consistently making the locations huge and struggle to fill them up with meaningful shit or assets
Anyone else faced this problem before?
>>
>>1538865
It's a pretty common mistake. Yeah, you should just try to reduce useless map space.
>>
>>1538878
>mistake
If you made a maze with no dead ends, the mistake is (you).
>>
>>1517959
But at the same time, it's over as soon as it started and nothing really happened.
>>
Is it a good idea to release a game (free) that is fully playable but not heavy polished? I'm not sure if I want to work on it more.
>>
>>1538994
This is a game jam, it's suppose to be loose and conceptual.

Evoland started out as a barebones ludum dare entry before they expanded on it and made the 2 games that are on Steam.
>>
>>1538922
Obviously mazes by definition require dead ends so those aren't useless space.
>>
File: file.png (231 KB, 442x742)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>>1538865
how empty
>>
File: Traproomffii.png (10 KB, 478x317)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>1539131
Exactly. Empty is a functional.
>>
>>1539163
Is that supposed to look like a dick?
>>
File: file.png (329 KB, 1175x856)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
>>1539308
>>
12 hours left but still at it
Fuck everything else I'm finishing this stupid thing if it kills me
>>
File: main room.webm (2.83 MB, 1280x720)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>1539163
Too empty.
>>
>>1539509
Based. Same with me. Fuck sleep.
>>
>>1539509
I already trimmed everything down to the bone and yet I still haven't write the ending
>>
>stuck at work for four more hours
>won't be able to get started til 2 hours after that
I only have a bit left to do but fuck.
>>
So what are you all doing for music? Just RTP?
>>
>>1539968
Yeah. The cover art characters pack at least adds a few extra songs, but man MV doesn't feel like it has enough music in it. I always mean to look around and find some decent sources for music when we're between jams, but after I finally submit my project it's kind of "out of sight out of mind."
The one time I actually did go looking I ended up trawling through an ocean of dead links for a few hours before giving up.
>>
>>1540049
Cover art character pack has songs?
I thought it only has, you know, cover art characters?
>>
>>1540132
It includes 8 theme songs as well, which is weird because there's 16 characters in it.
>>
>>1538669
You kind of seem to do a lot of coping in general, honestly.
>>
>>1538748
Doesn't this guy fail to complete like all of his projects? Also, didn't he recently get severely asspained over someone else actually completing a project he couldn't? There was something that was sort of a big deal that he just failed to do after like years and despite having a team or something. I don't get why people listen to this guy anymore, really.
>>
>>1540441
Uh, no? His two completed jam entries were pretty well-received. Shit happens, man. Also iirc his translation of ruina was a solo project, no "big team" or whatever involved.
>>
>>1540471
Was Ruina the thing he failed to complete? What happened with that?
>>
>>1540495
Yeah, ruina. Another translation came out, so he stopped working on it.
>>
>>1540525
Wasn't one of the things he actually completed just a Ruina reskin that he thought he could get away with since it wasn't translated yet? I mean, that's not exactly a difficult project. I wouldn't be surprised if the other project he completed was also ripped off from an obscure score, too.
>>
>>1540441
Why are you writing fanfiction about other posters
>>
>>1540563
lol are you asking for evidence, bro? ^______________^
>>
>>1540563
Here's the evidence for this faggotry:
https://www.tokyochronos.net/vrpg/thread/1259668/#q1260614

What were you saying about "fanfiction", Goburinbro?
>>
>>1540603
The only reason to be obsessed enough with goburinfag to shit this thread every time he posts is if you're the dude who rushed out a mediocre translation that came with a separate chart of menu translations because you were in a big hurry to get your reddit clout and couldn't incorporate them into the game. Why so seething?
>>
>>1540615
lol I'm not a translator or a weeb even but nice try Goburino.

Also, I only responded to you using your name once, so good job admitting you dropped it to defend yourself as anon, retard.

^__________^
>>
The schizo has changed typing styles I see
>>
unless they decide to make a proper RPG Maker with visual scripting instead of catering to mobile trash with java script I'm never gonna use it
>>
>>1540636
Nah, different guy. Schizo kun is too heavily against board culture and actual namefag oriented drama. Honestly would rather have him than some random butthurt redditor who's still obsessed with the dude that told him off a few months ago.
>>
>>1540636
at least i didn't frantically delete the name field to defend myself like you always do!!!!!!¿!!
>>
>everyone in this thread is the same person
You too
>>
>>1540646
never posted on reddit brah nor posted on 4chan in like a decade but please tell me more about the time you "told me off"
>>
my writing is so cringe, should I upload my game with different ID? seriously.
>>
>>1540707
If you want to, you can, but it's probably not as bad as you think.
>>
>>1540707
i went full chuuni in the end and the whole thing's angsty as shit, don't worry anon
>>
>>1540707
How does one write a Dark Lord without being cringe?
>>
>>1540778
Funny thing is, the dark lord was cut pretty early in my game
>>
>>1540778
You achieve cringe by juxtapositioning melodrama with a dose of reality.
Heightened emotions - "We're not going to make it!!!!"
Short circuited by some kid slurping a straw like, "You know, the opening isn't till tomorrow".
*awkward silence*
>>
agh dude i keep writing more. reminder to everyone who's planning on working til the last second to give yourself a good 15 or so minutes to make sure everything uploads properly and the jam accepts your submission. if shit gets fucked and you miss the deadline even though your project is complete, i'm pretty sure you can submit a request for a late entry, too.
>>
entries seem to be hidden.
>>
>>1540906
they become visible when the jam ends.
>>
alright what the fuck happened, after I tested the final event, for some reason the event disappeared in the editor, quitting won't trigger a save prompt but after quitting and opening vx ace again it's still gone.
>>
>>1541016
sounds like your shits fucked, dude. how much did you lose?
>>
>one hour left
bros...
>>
submitted. i'm not a hundred percent satisfied with this one storywise, but i think the gameplay is at least decent enough. it always feels like "fuck, this should be way longer for how much time i put into it" when i do the final test play. i'm gonna go sleep now, you guys enjoy.
>>
let's get this out of the way,
>two (2) submissions
oh no no no
>>
I wrote the final part in the last 2 hours, didn't even proofread it..
>>
>>1541229
It's weird, my pc says submissions are closed but my phone shows 43 minutes left.
>>
File: file.png (11 KB, 702x147)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1541234
am I safe?
>>
>tried to submit but itch.io can't detect my game for some reason
Fuuuck any way to upload to the jam after the deadline?
>>
>>1541277
you need to make the game public, I think, mine also invisible until I toggle it on.
>>
>>1541277
Nevermind, it got uploaded after all.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (61 KB, 640x480)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>Theme: Dark Lord

How much NTR is in the entries
>>
File: file.png (37 KB, 832x662)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>
>>1541288
Well that sucks, I'll upload an updated version later.
>>
Well I fell asleep at the keyboard so that's one jam completely failed
I'll play through the yesdev games once my head stops hurting
>>
File: 1588510679511.png (320 KB, 816x624)
320 KB
320 KB PNG
>>1541288
works on my machine
>>
A heads up, I realized there will be a crash later on due to a missing image. I've uploaded the V2 to itch.io already. You can just transfer the old save files to the updated game.
>>
>>1541488
was replying to >>1541415
>>
Only 4 entries? It says 5. Only 3 in the submission feed.
The submission form was kinda broken. Said I didn't have any projects to submit but it still listed mine.
>>
Six Sentinel freezes after talking to Mom.
>>
Overshadow was refreshing.
Almost done with Soothsayer
I'll play Reveries later today.
>>
>>1541893
What do you mean by "refreshing"
>>
>>1541893
yeah don't play reveries, it's shit.
>>
>>1541891
Fuck fuck fuck, let me go fix that.
>>
>>1541963
I think theres 3 touch events, the middle is fine.
>>
Overshadowed should be pretty easy. There's an issue with an shop npc after a certain point. But everything he sells are also drops. So if you don't get any recovery items, the rng wasn't on your side.
Exit "the backroom" right away and load up on milk if you want. But i don't think you'll need to use more than 3.
>>
>>1541970
Yeah, there are. Sorry about that, I can't believe I didn't catch it. Uploaded a v1.1 where that's fixed, but anyone who doesn't feel like redownloading it can just walk down the middle path.
>>
Better turn out than i expected.
>>
I'm practicing pixel art and thinking about making some free stuff for Rpg Maker. The latest version I personally used was VX Ace but as far as I understand most people switched to MV and it's better to make 48x48 assets than 32x32?
>>
>>1542173
MZ
>>
File: 1610218756229.png (36 KB, 816x624)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
I enjoyed your visual novel and another round of comfy town design as expected.
>really liked the distorted worlds during divination, there's a strange Traverse Town comfort about them
>though not AS tightly focused as La Glace (probably due to the larger scope), the amount of care and respect you show to each part of town and each change with the passage of time (and indeed across time) is something I envy
>starting off with the first divination being restricted to the farm was a good idea, but I can't quite put my finger on why
My main criticizms of the game are
>TFW no return of the quizzer unless that was him on the ground every time...
>The pacing of the story ramps up for the 2nd half but even though this would sort of go against the story a bit, I'd have loved to see a few additional divinations for walk-in customers or something to explore the town a bit more
2 hours well spent.
>>
I dont know where to go in soothsayer. Ive been doing laps around town.
>>
>>1543344
>>1543346
>>
>>1543348
Probably would be fun to toy around with. The idea of being able to work on a game from my phone is tempting for sure. That's all they'd need to do to get me to buy a new version of rpgm.
>>
>tfw finally home from work and ready to get comfy with /vrpg/ homemade kino
yeah i'm thinking comfy
>>
>>1541362
If you want to finish your game up and submit it late, I'd be more than happy to accept it in, anon. That goes for anyone else, too.
>>
>>1543019
Thanks for playing! It was planned to have some divination side quests for the shopkeepers to make them more relevant but I ran out of time sadly. And also, yep it's him.
>>1543257
Which day are you on?
>>
File: overshadowed1.png (65 KB, 818x656)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>Overshadowed
Overshadowed was fun. Quick little game with some neat effects in it. I liked the mana link system, and I thought it was cool how the boss' attacks could only affect certain targets. The story was neat, it took a
bit for me to understand exactly what was going on. I also really liked the bit with the lever, and I thought your maps were good, particularly the floating castle. Only real issue I found was that the enemies don't play an animation when they cast Fire 1 (idk if this is normal in MZ's front view battle system as this is the first MZ game I've played), and being able to walk over the holes in pic related. Combat was maybe a little simple but overall worth playing, I got a good kick out of it.
>>
File: reveries 1.png (346 KB, 642x507)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
>>1543968
>ReverieS
I really liked the friendship between the four girls. The original art for them was really nice, too. There were a lot of DQ references, which I enjoyed (especially the joke about Juno being able to become a sage at level 20 without a wizard tome). The whole scene where they were class changing was just really damn funny (especially Maris' transformation into a schoolgirl).
I appreciate the effort you put into making a custom battle system, I can definitely see why you had worries about balancing it. I ended up putting all of my shards into one character because it seemed impossible to keep up with the enemies otherwise. I think this kind of puzzle-y game might work best with one character who does all the combat and the others support them (that's how I ended up playing it anyway). I did actually end up enjoying it, though it was a bit confusing at first. Is there any way to change characters mid-combat? Also, I got ending B. Is there an ending A? It did say you ran out of time, so I wanted to ask before I go crazy replaying.
Pretty fun little game.
>>
>>1544104
pick all mushrooms without touching any power up, There' suupposed to be hint in game but I just don't have enough time to make it. both endings are still badly written though.
>>
>>1544267
Damn, that's gonna be a challenge. I'll replay and do that tomorrow. I kind of figured it had something to do with those.
>>
File: rev.png (199 KB, 637x502)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
Playing Reverie. I can't use the keys I bought from the shop. Is this a bug?
>>
File: 1612932285043.png (341 KB, 800x600)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>1544331
I think I've also managed to break the game pretty hardcore
>swapped party members around in-menu before learning about S to "officially" swap them, so my crew is all out of order
>HP displayed in menu is not an accurate reflection of actual HP possessed by characters
>using Phillia's heal skill does nothing
>Also took me a bit to realize pressing A is your field action, not sure if I missed a sign or just didn't read some text but I thought I was flat out missing the rock breaking skill
>Keys purchased from the shop do not do anything, just as you said
>>
>>1544337
Not the rev dev but dang, that's crazy. I think Phillia's heal not working is probably a result of messing with the party order, because it worked fine when I played through. There was a sign or an NPC somewhere that mentioned A was the skill usage button, yeah, don't remember where. And I spent all my money on shards so I never noticed that about the keys, rip.
>>
>>1544331
>>1544337
Oh fuck
>>
File: luneia1.png (641 KB, 818x656)
641 KB
641 KB PNG
>>1544104
>Luneia the Soothsayer
This game kicked ass. The mapping was insanely good, the story was fun, exploring the town was fun, reading all the different NPC dialogue as time went on was fun, it's just a great game. The story was cool, there were some neat twists I didn't see coming. The scene with the explosion in the mines was both extremely funny (due to Ifrit (IIRC it was ifrit)'s dialogue and anton's "blood for blood and a dumbass for a dumbass!" at the end of it and pretty effectively sad. I also lost my shit at the end when the Dark Lord spun Sieg around and threw him. Great work on that, great moment. Like the other anon said, it would've been cool if you'd had time to add side divinations, and the final day was kind of fast, but overall I'm really satisfied with having played it. My only actual complaint was that it was kind of a pain in the butt to figure out how to climb the clock tower but eh, small segment in a pretty big game. I seriously envy your mapping skills and the lighting work you do, man.

Tomorrow I'm gonna replay Reveries and try for the alternate ending and that'll be a wrap for me. Thanks again to all anons who participated, it was a lot of fun.
>>
>>1544331
>>1544337
>>1544343
Alright I am in the middle of uploading the new version, but in case you don't want to download another 200mb of kusoge, just don't use formation and don't buy the thief key or purple shard in the shop.

also wrote a better description for the game in itch.io
>>
File: 1599495052345.png (362 KB, 300x549)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>1544337
Mkay, cleared it with End B. Despite having thoroughly broken the game:
>A very very very interesting take on this that reminds me of old DOS games I used to play as a kid
>The entire intro was very cute and I like the characters even though beyond the intro and the handful of other dialogues they don't see much further development
>all the DQ references as well as classic stock translation tropes being in full force was a good move, as well as -Bonfire Lit-.
>Once you realize how the game really works, it is fun to plan out your route through the areas and try to optimize it (or just not run out of keys/ability uses) and I could see this being a really special dungeon crawler/puzzler hybrid with more time to work out kinks, refine the best parts further, and streamline certain things
>Expansion potential is pretty big, limited only by your puzzlecrafting skills.
Critical points:
>Having a battle system is great, but since the battles are decided before you click that GO button, I'd have liked to see the battles take place instantly since there is nothing to do but wait and spam the action key
>Fairies should not wear clothes
Bugs:
>I think the real game breaking bug is the bonfire reset, as I'm almost positive stats don't reset like they should which seems to break other things too. If this is the case, it may also be possible for the player to cheese stat boosts by infinite resetting, but I haven't tested this to confirm
>notably, skipping the intro cutscene results in the party not being DQ-like but rather a single party member
Honestly I think something like this has some potential if the turn-based battles were fleshed out a bit further. Maybe a unique spin on the Fushigi no Dungeon/Shiren dungeon crawling subset of RPGs. Who knows.
Pic related best girl.
>>
File: file.png (109 KB, 658x482)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>1544497
I was "inspired" by lulu farea which actually also a homage to pic related. ctrl supposed to sped up battle, but I don't think it's actually possible via pure eventing.
>>
File: ss.png (440 KB, 816x624)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
Finished The Sixth Sentinel and enjoyed it!
>the battle system was well balanced. I liked that every member has their own role
>appreciate the after battle heals
>sonar mechanic was cool. The maps were well designed to point out where it could be used
>Wallace's personality bouncing off the others was pretty fun. It's too bad he doesn't have a unique face image like the others
>cute boulder puzzle
>creative use of the final boss sprite
>Melody's fainting scene was hilarious
>the END at the end isn't centered properly! but that's a minor nitpick
All in all, I had fun! Great job.
>>
>>1544422
Yeah, I can see how that tower segment might be a little annoying. It was kinda meant to be a mini puzzle dungeon where you find the hidden paths using symmetry of the floor. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!
>>
File: reveries.png (352 KB, 640x480)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
I actually really like the puzzle-like gameplay. I wish it was an actual porn game.
>>
Reveries was ok. The battle system was too slow. It would have been more fun it i didnt have to sit through the animation loops.
>>
>>1543928
Day 3 i think. Little kid ran off. No clear objective.
>>
>>1545030
I see. Here are the things you need to do for that day:
>go to the jewellery store and talk with Barny
>go to the library and talk to the boy, then talk to the kids outside the library
>go to the mayor's house (topmost building) and talk to the pink haired guy
>then go back to your tent
>>
>>1544709
Thanks a bunch for playing! Yeah, I think my biggest regret is not having made a unique face image for Wallace. The chargen art really sticks out compared to the cover art characters, haha.
>>
>>1510970
So did they...?
Is Priscilla a pony pegger?
>>
>>1545250
Play overshadowed and find out, anon
>>
Can anyone suggest a way to make a combat interface like in FF13 Lightning returns? I think its one of the best combat interfaces for this type of a games, even if the game you are making is not ATB.
>>
>>1545250
Lol. I dunno.
Originally the horse was like a tulpa or patronus or something. It was going to change into the Actor1-2 in her modern outfit. And then fall in love with herself because she was a selfish person and couldn't love whatshisface back.

When you step on the red crystals and the screen changes, it was also going to change the character sprites. Hint that the knight was really Scarlet, but suggest it was Hyperion and we see scarlet because thats who he secretly loved.
Your pony also wasn't really a pony, originally. I wanted an Allusion to Stephen King's "it", and the "dead lights".
I mean, its kind of an mp parasite, so i dunno.

Yeah. Too many ideas to get across in only a few scenes. So instead of "its not what it seems" i went with "its exactly what it looks like"
>>
>>1544104
>>1544267
Alrighty, I got the mushroom ending. It was fun to get, maybe a little easy, but I liked it. The actual ending cutscenes were cute. Overall it's a neat little game.
>>
>>1545296
disable only the windows
use picture as UI
>>
>>1545306
Too high concept. But there's a lot of potential plot seeds to grow in future jams. Minkulus did callbacks to his previous entries.

Speaking of.
>Next jam when?
>>
>>1545379
>>Next jam when?
you are genuinely trying to kill me
>>
>>1545379
I already have an idea in my mind, and this time I will not waste half the time drawing 4 different girls
>>
>>1545381
(You)
>>
>>1545379
If minkulus is leading again. Im guessing it'll be "other-world" or something to make Sleepy Hills a setting, which sounds like Silent hill to me.

But i don't know what the challenge will be.
>>
>next jam theme
>>1510736
>>1510736
>>
>>1545504
>But i don't know what the challenge will be.
i genuinely feel like "make a game in a couple weeks" is enough of a challenge that it doesn't need any more constraints on top of it desu
>>
>>1545652
It's less of a constraint and more just a basic idea to get your ball rolling so you can get to the meat of gamedev
Of course that's only if you actually dev and don't procrastinate the entire time like I did
>>
>>1545652
By the looks of it, the real challenge is
>write a novella
>>
>>1545628
Everyone knows how isekai start. But they rarely have an ending.
>>
>>1545778
Just put chapter 1 episode 1 part 1 side A in the title and you're good to go.
>>
>>1545778
you could be the first ever auteur to write the ending of an isekai, anon!
>>
>>1545778
They end by returning to their original world, duh.
>>
>>1545788
>i was reincarnated into my last save file, but its my unfinished rpg maker project
>episode 1 beta RE;Vision
>>
Still waiting for that legendary game made by Sordis.
>>
>>1545820
you're just leaving this on the counter like it's not a recipe for kino
>>
>>1545376
Thats not the main point. Main point (at least for this purpose) being the ability to use skills via button presses, either on controller or keyboard, i.e "W- attack, A-Defend, S-Fireball, D-Heal"
>>
>>1545877
Modify the code to check for movement arrows instead of confirm button.
>>
>>1545843
Death End Re;QUEST was a cool concept that was spoiled by idea factory.
Imagine being so low budget you only had models for the main characters. You'd think they were submitting to a game jam.
>>
>>1546077
>oh shit it's an actual thing? Let's check it ou-
>idea factory
>>
>>1546096
Yeah its like
>missing game developer wakes up in the canceled vr game and can't log out.
>but maybe if she triggers the special ending by completing all the quests.
But there are no quests because it was never finished, the characters are kidnapped people brainwashed by not-google for reasons i forget.
But the story kept going somehow.
>>
>>1546143
And the gameplay is just running around a few barren locations to a random event icon. If you've played an idea factory game, you know what i mean.
Like, its not an npc. Its not hidden. The area isnt significant in any way.
>>
>>1546320
Yeah, I played the first neptunia remake because the series had so many fans at the time who swore up and down that "no you don't get it, it's actually good now" and wasn't very impressed, and then it turns out that literally all of Idea Factory and Compile Heart's games are just... Exactly like that, somehow. Who's buying these games, and how do they have such good steam reviews? Is having coom material really enough?
>>
>>1546579
I'll grant them that they mix up the battle system at least. Its everything inbetween thats so.. you know?
Which is kind of the opposite with rpg maker, most people are content with the way the battle system and focus on everything else.
>>
>>1545877
maybe if you are willing to remake everything from scratch via event system like mine (plus some plugin to make it work)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.