[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image.jpg (203 KB, 720x720)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
This game is highly praised by all corner of the gaming community, especially for the story.
But now I wanna ask if its fame truly live up to its name right now. Give me you unbias opinion.
I dont really play many ff game so I'm looking for somewhere to start since I dont have enough time.
>>
>>1363865
>unbias opinion
My opinion is biased because I liked it. My assessment would depend on what you like and dislike in a game/story. Start by naming other things you liked and explaining why you liked them.
>>
>>1363865
Personally I think it's one of the best FF games by far, but I am definitely biased since tactical role-playing games are my favourite genre. It's not a traditional FF game, so your mileage may vary depending on how much you like TRPGs. It probably isn't the best game to start with if you're completely new to the series, as it's very different from the rest.

If you like TRPGs though and enjoy JRPGs with a darker, slightly more grounded story, then you'll love it.
>>
Is WotL any good or should I just stick with the original?
>>
>>1363937
Go with WOTL if possible - it's an updated version with a better script.
>>
>>1363940
>a better script.
It gets rid of some dumb mistakes and typos (watch out for the dragon's 'fire bracelet'), but I wouldn't necessarily call it better. They pour the Early Modern "Shakespearian" English on way too thick in my opinion, and I feel they translate some names differently purely for the sake of change rather than being any more accurate. I tried to keep an open mind but I couldn't shake the feeling of pretentiousness.
>>
>>1364007
>>1363940
I think the best way to describe the two English scripts is the original is more swashbuckling and WotL is more theatrical. As for the more obvious typos in the original translation there are patches you can use to fix some of the more glaring issues (Fire Bracelet for example).
I will chip in and say that the sound quality in WotL is much worse than the original and is missing spell quotes. That being said there is more content in WotL. So it's really your call on which version to play.
>>
Why are dragoons so fucking bad in this game? And why are monks so broken?
>>
>>1364007
Yeah, you summed up my issues with the WotL script. Gameplay wise WotL is clearly better than the original, but the new translation rubs me the wrong way.
>>
File: 1599261297232.png (226 KB, 294x350)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>when you realize that the religion of the church of glabados was real but Ramza is the true messiah
>>
>>1363937
It's up to personal preference for the most part. I personally prefer WotL because it's more consistent and doesn't have any awful engrish but I understand that flowery prose isn't everyone's cup of tea.
>>
File: fft_marching.jpg (58 KB, 300x300)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1364025
>spell quotes
Some of those were fun. "Armor won't help the heart stay sharp! Shellbust Stab!" "Destruction of nature, gather in flame! Fire!"

I can see why the new translation left them out, since they're kind of dorky, and it'd probably be a pain in the butt to do them all, but that occasional bit of flair with attacks was good hype.
>>
File: Algus resting bitchface.jpg (66 KB, 1000x1000)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1363865
One negative thing I'll say about FFT: It was my first tactical RPG, and the difficulty curve felt more like a cliff. Not a high cliff, but a steep one. The middle of Chapter 1; Dorter Trade City, Thieves Fort, Windmill Shed, they were hell for me at the time. That said, with some exceptions the game gets MUCH easier after that point and even easier as it progresses, to the point where by the end it's a breeze.

Those exceptions being the mission where you meet Mustadio, Riovanes castle hall (always keep a backup save) and Riovanes Rooftop because of an oft suicidal NPC.

One piece of advice I wish I knew on my first playthrough: Don't neglect Squire skills on Ramza. Squire skills are really good on Ramza. You don't want to get into a duel playing as a Knight with Punch Art and no JP for Autopotion or Yell(or was Scream the first one?)
>>
>>1364230
Oh and of course in subsequent playthroughs knowing what I was doing, the early parts no longer posed an issue. If you have experience with other games like this you probably won't have any issues.
>>
>>1363865
Yes, played it last year and it's now one of my favorite stories in games.
Also one of my favorite games all around thanks to the amazing aesthetic and music, and pretty good gameplay.
You're doing yourself a disservice by basically asking for spoilers here.
>>
>>1364267
I'm surprised there haven't been any major spoilers in the thread yet.
>>
>>1364206
>I can see why the new translation left them out, since they're kind of dorky
Funnily enough they brought them back in XIV's
Ivalice raid which has the same faux-Shakespearian writing style, and they're kino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mG8SrL4X1s
>>
>>1363865
It’s great especially with a speed up button on emulator, cause some animations are loooong
>>
>>1363865
My favorite has always been shining force
>>
>finished to hundred times
>finished fft 0 times
yeah sure
even ffta ftta2 were more fun than this edgy trash
>>
>>1364206
Spell quotes are a neat idea, and it's a shame they didn't keep them in WotL. On the other hand, I feel like I'm the odd one out because I find the spell quotes in the original translation to have some of the worst butchery of the english language I've ever seen. For every decent line in there there's about fifty of them that literally make no sense.

In an ideal world they would have given us updated lines that fit with the new translation a la >>1364303 but if I'm forced to make a choice between awful spell quotes and no spell quotes I'd rather leave them out entirely.
>>
It's hard to get into. The grinding is fun but good lord is tedious.
I've lost my save data TWICE because my phone fucked up and square doesn't do cloud saves.

You can only take so many hitting your dudes for 30mins straight over and over again a few times in your life time. fucking shame too because I wanted to actually beat the game and know what the fuck was going on.
>>
>>1364025
Patches huh? Sounds cool. I'll have to hunt them down next time I decide to replay FFT.
>>
>>1363937
wotl is faggy, go with the original
>>
>>1364026
Dragoons are fine, you just need to check your target's CT before jumping. Want a tip, use an axe with Jump.
>>
>>1364551
t. chattel
>>
File: Death Corps.jpg (76 KB, 415x557)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1364464
I didn't find them to be that bad. There's only a small handful out of all of them that I found too nonsensical. A lot of them sounded a tad silly, and some sounded out of place, but they weren't incomprehensible.
https://www.angelfire.com/pe/fnlfntsy7/fftactics/fftspellquotes.txt
>>
File: ULUS10297_00010.jpg (120 KB, 960x543)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Sucks to lose spell quotes in WotL, but now party members can actually say (dumb) stuff.
>>
>>1364589
Have you realized you're female yet?
>>
File: wut.jpg (10 KB, 320x180)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1364572
Thine envenomed words wound me, ye blaggard whoreson. May all ye harvests be blighted and thine issue be bereft of succor.
>>
I’ve never completed it. I think it’s way too hard and has too many mechanics/systems. I play a lot of FE which is very straightforward even on maniac modes. I just don’t think I care at all about FFT.
>>
File: ULUS10297_00011.jpg (126 KB, 960x540)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>
File: Disdain for plebs.jpg (42 KB, 300x600)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1364589
>Being able to create generic Dark Knights and Holy Knights
Heresy.
>>
File: ULUS10297_00012.jpg (126 KB, 960x540)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1364616
You can't create generic Holy Knights, wish you could but no you can't.
>>
>>1364607
>I think it’s way too hard and has too many mechanics/systems.
It's not hard in the slightest, aside from that one boss the game is piss-easy if you know what you're doing. I hate to be that guy, but git gud. It's not much harder or complex than FE, so you might just be dumb as shit.
>>
>>1364620
Does it get unlocked by having Ramza take Gafgarion's crystal?

I wish I could still remember exactly how that ridiculous Dark Knight Ramza rumor went. I think it was Ramza needed to be a certain level, and equip all the gear Gafgarion had on, then defeat him alone and absorb his crystal before opening the gate up and Ramza could get the Dark Knight class. Something like that. Good old fake secrets.
>>
>>1364632
>aside from that one boss
That and Rafa getting her bracelet stopped by killer strippers over and over.
>>
>>1364641
Master Knight, get Black Mage, Dragoon, Samurai, Ninja, and Geomancer job level to 8 and have 20 kills by that individual unit. Kills being when someone crystalizes.
>>
>>1364652
Awesome, that's it, thanks anon. What a strange thing to trigger nostalgia.
>>
Great game at the time but the refining Eushully did to the srpg make it hard to play anything else.
On your turn you select each unit, draw their path and if it ends on an enemy it gives a menu of attacks. It's probably 4-5x faster.

FFT is mostly remembered for the absolute bullshit that was Velius, in a spot most people would not have a save to go back from.
>>
>>1364031
>Gameplay wise WotL is clearly better than the original
No it's not. The animation slowdowns during battle are absolutely excruciating. If you are playing with a patch, fine, but the canonical version is not worth playing unless you have no other choice.

The extra classes are cool as are the extra roster slots, but not worth putting up with that awful lag during combat. The extra characters shoehorned in from FFTA2 and FF12 are kind of lame as are the bonus scenes.
>>
>>1364026
>And why are monks so broken?
It's too easy to raise Brave.
>>
File: kINmVsG_d.png (169 KB, 440x313)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>1364592
You will never be a dancer.
>>
So many games are inspired from this game (and LUCT) but very few seem to copy the extended customization and viability of generic units.
It's always my generics' successes and failures that are the most memorable. Named characters are fine but as the minority.
>>
>>1364802
>unless you have no other choice
In what universe would someone live in nowadays where they don't always have the choice of just patching it?
>>
>>1364802
>kind of lame as are the bonus scenes
I thought it weird how WotL brings Algus back. It felt like he got dragged back out because he was popular with the fans and no other reason. One of the key points of Algus' character is that he was a nobody, a D-list noble from a fallen house that wanted to be important. Why would he appear in the dead city? At least Balk as a Templar had direct dealings with demons.
>>
File: fft-zeltennia-036_1_3.gif (35 KB, 340x378)
35 KB
35 KB GIF
>>1364900
>So many games are inspired from this game
Like what?
From the few others I've been recommended, one of the bigger things that seems to be missing is the map design. The maps in FFT are compact with lots of verticality and interesting features, from the bridge over Zirikile falls to the Golgorand Ambush and Lionel Castle gate, to the battle in the library with Izlude. It's fun as hell to teleport through walls, float over deep water where the enemy can't reach, or jump 7 tiles up to land a backstab. Even a wide-open flat map like Zeklaus Desert has that trench running through the middle.
>>
>>1364972
>Give up, I have the high ground!

>Lightning Stab!
>>
>>1364921
If you're playing on psp hardware? If you don't even realize the patch exists since none of the retards in this thread recommending WOTL even mentioned it? In what world do you live in where every patch you might want just applies itself by itself?

If that's the route you're going to take, why not just mod up the original to add whatever you want?
>>
Hypothetically, anyone got a save past chapter 7 or 9? I want to replay the game again but I can't go back to the beginning once again....
>>
>>1364986
Can you mod the original to have the proper WotL script and Rendezvous?
>>
File: elonnotbad.jpg (73 KB, 642x510)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>1363865
It's in my top three Final Fantasy games. It lets you bend/break the RPG rules and there are a ton of secret characters and special tricks. If you like FF and you haven't played it yet you're doing yourself a disservice.
>>
>>1364802
>The extra characters shoehorned in from FFTA2 and FF12 are kind of lame as are the bonus scenes.
Motherfucker I will not have you talking shit about Balthier in this house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWf2G7_erk0
>>
>>1365050
>Can you mod the original to have the proper WotL script
Not him, but a WotL script hack for PS1 actually exists IIRC. You're out of luck for Rendezvous though.
>>
>Still no modern re-release
Jesus christ Square Enix. You already released them on the phone. Can't you pay some monkeys with peanuts to officially port it on PC?
>>
>>1365112
wish granted
>chibi shitty sprites
>music redesigned with the worst mix known to mankind
>game is way easier and has cheat mode on with no way to turn it off unless you turn the game off.
>delitia turns into a xe
>>
>>1365127
none of these could actually happen except the first one
>>
>>1365135
ah let me add one that can happen too.
save corruption bug
>>
>>1365135
All of those are things that have happened to other FF games.
>>
>>1363865
IMO this game is good for its story and also a nice long grind. The advance games improve a lot in the gameplay department, however if you really enjoyed the story to fft you might not like ffta and ffta2 stories. Its not that they are bad but rather their approach is radically different and its more of a storybook sort of deal rather than the politics and drama of fft
>>
Time mage has a great kit that multiclasses well. It’s not stupid op like arithmantick but a great subclass to add to your casters.
>>
>>1365112
>he doesn't know
it's best that you dont, otherwise you'll realized that you have been monkeypaw'd
>>
File: 1421123492299.jpg (172 KB, 707x1000)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>1364230
Squire and Chemist skills are good on anyone in general. Get auto-potion on chemist asap, only buy the 150 health potions, and the entire early game entirely breaks without even trying (for example). Same with yell and scream spam on squires, etc.
Honestly the game is fun due to how broken everything is, the combat is fast and every move is impactful (unlike Ogre games), and you get a great deal of customization without being punished for trying out different characters and classes.
>>
>>1364900
>It's always my generics' successes and failures that are the most memorable. Named characters are fine but as the minority.
This. I love my generics in FFT/A/A2 and Disgaea more that the named characters.
>>
>>1364230
One of the weirdest things I've seen from people playing FFT for the first time are people who just assign one class to a character and then leave them in it forever, never switching things up or experimenting with different builds or learning different sub-abilities. It's one thing to do that for a challenge run of some sort, but just weird to me that someone would assume that's how the game was meant to be played.
>>
>>1363865
>But now I wanna ask if its fame truly live up to its name right now.
Yes because the guy who gave squenix their best games worked on it. Should have fired the hack nomura and not him.
>I dont really play many ff game so I'm looking for somewhere to start
FFT is a spinoff and not a FF game (yes despite the name). If you want a FF game play one of nonshit ones like 3-6, 9 or 12
>>
>>1364986
>If you're playing on psp hardware?
But the patch works on PSP hardware. You don't actually believe there's anyone out there that owns an unhacked PSP, do you?
>>
>>1363865
Decided to start playing this. Looked up what Bravery and Faith does and it confuses me. Why should a party member just fuck off because i made it too good of a spellcaster? Or leave if i neglect it's bravery?
>>
>>1363865
unbiased opinion is that the advance ones had better story and more soul.
>>
>>1366247
>Why should a party member just fuck off because i made it too good of a spellcaster?
because it doesn't care about you anymore and has better stuff to do
>Or leave if i neglect it's bravery?
Gee i wonder why cowardly people become deserters
>>1366273
That's called "retarded" opinion, not "unbiased"
>>
>>1366273
>ones
FFTA2's story was so devoid of any meaning and excitement that i wonder if they changed writers for some reason.
>>
>>1366284
fair enough, then. How does one go about raising or lowering it?
>>
>>1366247
One is too religious/spiritual to believe fighting is the correct way to do things and the other is too much of a coward to fight
>>
>>1366288
For every 4 points they get changed in-battle you lose/gain 1 permanent point
>>
>>1366288
Skill up up an orator for faith. Ramza gets a skill that grinds bravery
>>
>>1366334
>>1366300
alright, thanks. Is there a reason not to make all of my melee fighters a bunch of fedoras with full bravery?
>>
>>1366348
Yeah, they won't believe in healing and buff magic either so you'd never land those. It's still a tactic if you have a plan for a specific unit though.
Bravery is never bad to have, Faith can be either.
>>
>>1363865
maintain 2 save files. one outside of any story missions you may start at least. trust me.
>>
>>1366348
>>1366358
IIRC, Move-Find Item works better with low Bravery, but that's super situational. 99% of the time you're better off with 97 Bravery for near guaranteed Reaction abilities, and stronger damage for the weapons that scale off Bravery in addition to PA.
>>
>>1366390
Ohh right that's true.
I always mod my game for Move-find to give me the rare item 100%
>>
>>1366358
i see. Surely they still believe in potions, but i'll keep it in mind
>>
>>1366004
No one fired Matsuno retard, he left ff12 due to health issues, and is back to working with Square on FF14 anyway.
>>
Zodiac signs don't actually do anything, right?
>>
>>1366716
Sign compatibility affects hit rate, number calculations, and success chance of some spells (e.g. Raise, Steal Heart) in a fairly minor way iirc
>>
>>1366348
I like ~90 faith on my casters, 50-70on my melees/hybrids. You miss out on way too many great spells as a fedora, mainly haste and shield. Just be careful cause mage duels are extremely lethal
>>
>>1366716
You have 5 tiers of compatibility between signs:
Worst-Bad-Neutral-Good-Best.
These modify your damage/hit chance calculations in a significant way as numbers get bigger. This is because the modification happens near the end of the equation.
A really simplistic way of thinking about it is by using a sword's damage formula which is (Physical attack) x (Weapon Power).
Compatibility modifies the final (Physical attack) part near the end of the equation (that is to say after status effects like Berserk):
Worst: PA(new)=PA(old)-PA(old)/2
Bad: PA(new)=PA(old)-PA(old)/4
Neutral: PA(new)=PA(old)
Good: PA(new)=PA(old)+PA(old)/4
Best: PA(new)=PA(old)+PA(old)/2
So the more you level and stack Physical attack the more noticeable compatibility becomes.
>>
>>1363865
i played this 2 years ago and like you i expected it to be overrated because of the constant fellating of the game online.

having beaten it, it's fantastic and only FFIX edges it out. probably one of the best rpgs ever and fantastic within its own subgenre as a strategy rpg; the gameplay is phenomenal. story is unique and overall quite good, though it does lose a slight bit of momentum towards the end. probably a 9.5/10 for me, absolutely worth a play.
>>
>>1366358
>Bravery is never bad to have
What about my low brave sunken state dodge everything cheese strats?
>>
>>1367115
You're gonna have to elaborate on that
>>
>>1367157
I meant abandon (got the name mixed up with sunken state) and evade gear. Forego reaction skills, find items.
>>
>>1367248
I still don't see how having high Bravery hurts that build though. It might be useless to it sure, but never bad...
>>
Bravery, Spirituality, and Zodiac signs are not really worth caring about either way, and you're very unlikely to be fucked over by either unless trying to be.
>>
>>1363865
I'm biased, because I liked it. Still do a playthrough every now and then on my psp. The story was really good, specially for the time when I think it was a bit different from the normal fantasy stories. More political, anyways. Classes were fun, and you can make some good combos. The post game in psp version is really fun, but I miss how the characters sometimes did chants before doing abilities.
Story time:
>be me, 8 years old
>family got divorced, moved into the city
>new school, new people
>meet some other kids, one of them wants to larp fft in the playground
>dunno what fft was, but ok
>lots of fun, made good friends with them >friend plays fft at his place
>i think its the best
>get in to more fantasy stuff, fantasy games, etc with other 3rd grade nerds
Sounds lame as hell, but I honestly think FFT had an influence on how I grew up.
And now I'm on 4chan, so probably not the best influence
>>
>>1367255
The finding items part. I also was under the mistaken impression that low brave helped abandon
>>
>>1363937
PSP emulators seem better at having a fast forward button. And it has two more jobs.
>>
>>1363865
It is completely irrelevant that it's a Final Fantasy game. It created a new world that other Final Fantasy games wanted to use and did, that's it's only connection to the greater series. It's a masterpiece. The new game Triangle Strategy is only the most recent to attempt to capture what made FFT special, there are many many others and I think they have all failed. FFT is a virtually perfect game.
>>
>>1366133
Yes.
>>
>>1367657
Well they can use the five minutes it takes to hack their PSP and download a pre-patched iso, then be able to enjoy the game as intended.
>>
>>1366247
>Why should a party member just fuck off because i made it too good of a spellcaster? Or leave if i neglect it's bravery?
It is highly unlikely for this to happen. You have to work really hard to raise faith high enough for a party member to leave (and iirc you'll get warnings about it first), and it's totally unnecessary to raise faith that high.

While faith a modifier on spellcasting it's more important to pay attention to MA. If you want to make a strong spellcaster, boost their MA. You want good faith, too. Anything above 70 is more than enough and there's no risk of leaving until they get into the 90s. There's always the "Pray Faith" buff which gives you effectively 100 Faith for a few turns.

Also, you can raise Ramza's faith as high as you want and he won't leave.
>>
>>1363865

Just fucking play it or don't.
>>
>>1364925
Yes exactly. I don't want to say it "ruins" the character, but it kind of does. He got dusted by Ramza after murdering an innocent girl. Fuck Algus. He got the end he deserved in the original game.
>>
>>1364925
I think this is spot on. Algus was very much one of "The Meager", same as the peasants he scorned. That's why he was so bitter. You could argue that the dark influences underground conjured up Algus to prey on Ramza's guilt, but in that case I'd say he had a stronger bond with Gafgarion for taking him in, or Zalbag for obvious reasons.
>>
>>1367688
>Also, you can raise Ramza's faith as high as you want and he won't leave.

That's good to know. Too bad you have to make him a melee unit no matter what
>>
>>1364972
fucking yes. The only thing closer that I could say has FFT's fun map design with verticality and shit is like NuCOM. What else is there?
>>
>>1365321
tell me, I can handle it anon.
>>
File: remove chokebab.png (674 KB, 609x654)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
>>1363865
I felt the same way as you, when I first played it I found it really overwhelming and there is a bit of a learning curve but once I got in the swing of it I fell in love. It is so much fun making a kickass team mixing and matching skills and builds you don't have to optimise a perfect team with a perfect skill set that does the most dps you can make an effective team out of any combination of units and skills if you strategise and be clever which makes it really flexible to how you want to play. Ever been like man I'd love to play this class but their moves suck and I can't make use of them in this game you can make it work in this, do you have any idea how rare it is to find a game as perfectly balanced as this?Some people do the delevellling trick to raise a char with max speed but doing this takes all the challenge out of the game. Closing notes samurai for lyf
>>
>>1363865
It's excruciatingly boring if you don't have the mind of a 12 year old autist. That said I really liked it as a 12 year old autist.
>>
>>1363937
WotL for sure, just make sure to get the slowdown patch. Usually I don't like faux-Shakespearean shit but Alexander O. Smith (same guy who did the English scripts for Vagrant Story and FF12 so if you've played those you know what you're getting) is legit really good at that.
>>
File: ULUS10297_00078.jpg (129 KB, 1097x641)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>1368528
Sometimes Barinten forgets that not everyone is Rafa(10 yrs old)
>>
File: Agrias.jpg (60 KB, 433x650)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Best girl
>>
File: raRIKHK.jpg (193 KB, 619x597)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1368528
>>
>>1363865
It was kinda annoying how they pulled a demon plot out of of their ass halfway through the story but I guess Matsuno didn't want to write LUCT again.
>>
>>1364620
>>1364616
It was annoying how the Holy Knight's skills were still better despite Dark Knight's ridiculous unlock requirements.
>>
>>1364900
>but very few seem to copy the extended customization
Well, that customisation really has it's roots in FFV
>>
>>1367493
>he doesn't know
FFT world is within FFXIV world canonically now. Ivalice is an ancient civilization that predate the current FFXIV timeline
>>
>>1367274
>Not maxing your bravery
Pleb
>>
>>1367328
>>be me, 8 years old
>>family got divorced, moved into the city
>>new school, new people
>>meet some other kids, one of them wants to larp fft in the playground
>>dunno what fft was, but ok
>>lots of fun, made good friends with them >friend plays fft at his place
>>i think its the best
>>get in to more fantasy stuff, fantasy games, etc with other 3rd grade nerds
Marche, is that you?
>>
>>1368509
I asked earlier, and WotL's translation wasn't done by Alexander O. Smith, which explains why WotL's faux Shakespearean dialogue sounds a bit off compared to VS and FFXII.
>>
>>1367274
gotta disagree with this.
Zodiac you can mostly ignore but brave and faith are definitely worth thinking about. The biggest issue you might face ignoring zodiac compatibility is something like your Monk Rez failing because you have low compat with one of your teammates.

Raising Brave is nothing but positive (except for holding one unit aside with low-brave to be an item-finder). You can work with high or low Faith but you'll at least want to be aware of who has low faith and avoid relying on magic for those characters.

>>1367461
Duckstation has one.
>>
>>1370891
>Duckstation has one.

Interesting. Looks like its brand new.

Now I have to decide between these two mods.

PS1 - Laggy Fantasy Tactics from 2011
http://www.rpgdl.com/lft

PSP - FFT: WOTL - Valeria 2.3 from 2021
https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11872.0
>>
>>1371108
Is the valeria mod good?
>>
>>1371108
I have played Laggy Fantasy Tactics a few times and I think it's my favorite mod. It gives a new set of job combos to play with and I enjoyed every single run I've tried before.
Haven't played Valeria though. I can't comment.
>>
>>1363865
>Looks good, comfy artstyle that aged well. Maps don't need an upgrade, but at this point it would be appreciated.
>Pretty broken, and in several ways that aren't fun
>Insanely slow on a hardcoded lag level, unacceptable in a remaster
>Cut short in the original, and yet they never got around to filling out the rest of the zodiacs in the remaster. Instead we get one-off cameos.
>New jobs don't interact too much with the system at large.
>Damage/stat calculations are a little TOO simple, and yet uses obscure complexities like zodiac signs.
>Mods improve a LOT of things
>I miss spell quotes. In this day and age, you can't have spell quotes without poorly done voice acting, so just having text quotes that add flavor but can be skipped is nice.
>Lots of really interesting lore and set pieces that don't get anything done with them. There's enough in there for a full Delita playthrough, a Zodiac Braves prequel, and more, tis a shame.

I don't really think it's possible to make an "unbiased opinion", but there you go.
>>
>>1371501
Not familiar enough with Tactics to say. Has the benefit of Black Knight and Onion Knight jobs.
>>
File: 5305.jpg (118 KB, 1025x890)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1364025
I liked the way WotL translated some things but disliked the vast majority of its script. Is there a patch for the PSX version that fixes typos and mistakes, and some of the clunkier translations (Hokuten/Nanten/Touten, Chp3 Epilogue, etc.) but retains the character names and most of the dialogue of the original?
>>
Other than FFT, what should I play after Tactics Ogre? I want something more in line with the gameplay of FFT (job system + non retarded archer gang) but with the choices and story like TO.

I'm pretty early on in TO but I really enjoyed the story so far and I didn't expect that type of choice would ever been in a JRPG. Langrisser and stuff any good?
>>
>>1371900
Fell Seal is apparently the good shit with jobs, but 2 guys working on a game generally doesn't result in an expansive story.
>>
>>1363865
Naw cause tactics games is gay shit 4 losers stay free duwop dago
>>
>>1371905
Honestly I just want something as dark and edgy (yeah poor adjectives, I know) as literally "hey kill these innocent civilians so we can get everyone to join us for the revolution"
>>
>>1371938
Vandal Hearts
>>
>>1371976
Maybe if you got to play as Kane but sadly that is not the case
>>
File: fft_orran.jpg (290 KB, 960x540)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>1371865
There's a few for job ability and spell quotes, but, no complete overhaul yet. There's Name Fix Patch for the ability names and quotes. The best right now would be Final Fantasy Tactics The Lion War, but, I don't think all the fixes are in yet (hopefully patch 1.07). That also has a more PSX purist approach to the translation.
Thankfully it's actually incredibly easy to edit on your own. Look for TacText on Final Fantasy Hacktics. If you download the hacking suite it'll be a part of it. You can fully edit the whole script from there. I know that's quite a bit of extra effort but it'll give you complete control on what you want fixed which may be the best option overall.
I'm working on one myself, but, that'll take a really long time unfortunately due to how I'm doing it. Learning a whole new language and all that.
>>
>>1370275
The Ivalice of FFXIV is completely separate from every other incarnation. The ending of the FFT portion is even different cause Ramza dies in the XIV version while he lives in FFT
>>
>>1372696
>while he lives in FFT
Ehh.
>>
>>1372722
Matsuno confirmed that Ramza does live in FFT
>>
File: 1589347237130.jpg (90 KB, 1024x758)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1372729
I have seen the threads, but this is one of those cases when, as the reader, I must disagree with the author's latter day interpretation. Especially his take on the Delita/Ovelia epilogue, goddamn.

I'm sticking with what makes the most sense and going into hiding after swearing not to run away anymore, by riding past your own grave on the day of your own funeral, with other party members even leaving loved ones to die to keep up the ruse...ehh. I'd rather believe in Olan chasing after ghosts of the truth.

Did you know word of God is that Spike lives, too?
>>
>>1372751
I mean, part of the reason Ramza died fighting Ultima in the XIV version was because so many people thought that happened in the original
>>
>>1372758
Such is 'death of the author,' right? I know people hate that term, but it's a real thing that happens. If we leave a story even a tiny bit of room for interpretation there's no telling how it'll evolve once it collides with the audience. So his vision is interesting to know, but post release - years later even - that's still just one view among many.
>>
Playing the original on PS. Looking to 100% Complete. Grinded a lot and the storyline battles are way easy even Velius and Roof of Riovanes Castle even got a Cachusa from assassin.

Run into a slight problem trying to steal all of Elmdor's Genji equipment. Checked online and most say it's a waste of time and to just steal his Masamune at least to make a complete Samurai.

I stole everything but his shield and accessory as I wound up killing him cause it was taking too long like an hour went by started to run out of healing items.

Should I just forget about the Genji equipment? I'm not gonna re-do that fight.
>>
>>1373370
I remember getting all of the Genji equipment as a kid because the thought of missing stuff galled me. It took a long ass time and was hardly worth it from what I recall. Looking back, it's fun to imagine Ramza and everyone covered in prayer beads chasing a teleporting vampire around while Benny Hill chase music blares
>>
I think even as a kid I stopped the battle without getting his last two pieces of Genji equipment as well. I just finished the battle a moment and of course I was setting out to steal all of it because I feel the same way I want to get everything but it started to dip into over an hour and I was running low on healing items plus with an upcoming boss battle and you can't backtrack and leave so I just said fuck it. Next time, I'll be more aware of this one particular battle.
>>
>>1373370
I just never bothered. Steal always seemed to have awful success rates and it's not like Elmdore is pissing about while you're trying. Then again maybe I'm just bad at the game.

Hell, even being able to steal from him at all is a bug IIRC, he's supposed to have innate Safeguard.
>>
The success rates I was getting trying to steal was abysmal - like 5% lowest and 16% best. I know there's a FAQ just for this one particular moment in the game but it seems way impossible if you're just going into it blind. What annoys me is I'm following the Prima strategy guide and they're so lackadaisical about stealing his Genji equipment I quote, "Elmdor has a complete set of Genji equipment you want to steal," "be sure to walk away with the Genji set as a war trophy," but they don't fucking warn you about it beforehand and they don't tell you it's gonna take an hour plus with the success rates you get. Pisses me the fuck awff.
>>
>>1363865
Tactics is a good game. Monk is strong as fuck in this one.
>>
>>1373370
Yeah I stole the Genji stuff on a subsequent playthrough back when it was released but now if I feel like using Masamune or Genji Equipment I just hack my save file.
>>
>>1372751
>Did you know word of God is that Spike lives, too?
Why are japs such utter pussies?
>>
Just starting, still in chapter 1 since i'm just here learning some jobs with the gang and experimenting. Hate chocobos btw fuck em.
Is monk suppoused to be this ridiculous? They just destroy the opposition in one punch how is this fair
>>
>>1372751
Only idiots believe in that death of the author shit.
>>
>>1363865
I replay this once every few years and it really is timeless and deserving of the praise it gets. My only issue is it can get pretty grindy depending on what kind of characters you're building and battles take kinda long, but otherwise it's one of my all time favorites and among the best the FF franchise has to offer.
>>
How are the other two FFT games compared to it?
>>
>>1375489
You mean Advance? Eh. Some people like them better but they fucked up the whole art style and aesthetic and added some questionable design choices like the law system. Never played Advance 2 but I didn't care for FFTA back then and I was really big on FFT at the time. Everytime I see the Marche threads on /v/ though I want to give it another chance but I just haven't gotten around to it so my opinion right now is based on what 15 year old me thought.
>>
>>1375650
Advance 2 is just as much of a major departure from Advance 1 as A1 from FFT. I haven't finished FFTA2 yet, not sure if I ever will, but I didn't like how they handled the ability system, optional content, and in general area transitions compared to FFTA1's more liberal setting the map yourself (the weapon acquisition has become different style of cancer from 1).
The game itself isn't too bad, but the law can sometimes get abit too silly in FFTA1 and it's possible to lock yourself out of content if you don't plan out your map in advance (which feels bad). FFTA is too hard, but isn't cakewalk either, and you can finish it in reasonable amount of time; I have multiple times, it's fun enough game. The post-game in 1 is abit too RNG reliant on unlocking, so without cheats can be anti-fun, while 2 post-game is just lazy copy+c'd grinding from what I always heard.
>>
Didn't feel like killing another thread for this question, but what's the consensus on FF12: Revenant Wings? Seems like no one ever talks about it, despite it being an SRPG set in Ivalice.
>>
>>1375489
FFTA is, though easy, a cute and enjoyable tactics game. You have plenty of customization in regards to jobs and plenty of ways to bully the enemy team. The story is pretty good too, i'd say you should give it a try at least.
>>
>>1363865
Do the level of the enemies in random encounters (and normal encounters by extension) scale with Ramza's level or is it some sort of average amongst the participating members?
>>
android or patched psp?
>>
>>1377799
also should i play tactics ogre before fft?
>>
>>1377808
I don't see any particular reason to play one of them before the other. I'd play FFT then LUCT.
>>
>>1376993
Shitty marketing? I had no idea it was a trpg.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.