[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hqdefault (4).jpg (23 KB, 480x360)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
What's the worst RPG you've played start to finish? Pic related
>>
>>
SMT Nocturne
I had never played an SMT or persona game before, and so I picked up Nocturne based on everyone saying it was awesome.
Turns out it's the exact opposite of what I like. I like games that are character-driven, with lots of party chemistry and development. Instead I got silent MC with literal generic demon party members, where you just progress to each new location and fight more demons. I finished the game expecting it to get good somewhere, but it just ended up being pokemon with demons. I don't like monster collecting games at all.
>>
I have no idea
I drop games I dont like so Ive never finished a bad game
>>
Final Fantasy IX, unironically.
>>
>>1361932
it feels weird to say, but same. The least-good RPG ive finished is, i dunno, one of the double digit FF games.
>>
maybe Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
>>
>>1361884
Jesus how did you manage to finish it
>>1361932
Same, but FFT is one of my favorite games ever so I had to finish pic related to see if it got better
>>
>>1361932
same
>>
>>1361884
This.
>>
Harry Potter 1 on the GBC
It's not supremely awful or anything, I just don't get more than an hour or two into bad games
>>
Dark Souls 2
>>
this bullshit
>>
Ash is boring, repetitive and horribly slow. The story is just fantasy Terminator. I finished it because I liked the artistic part of the game.
>>
>>1361907
anon you can talk to the demons though?
>>
>>1361884
>start to finish
I salute you, anon. I wasn't as strong as you.
>>
>>1361881
Either Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age Origins.
DA:O has a lot more suck - the entire middle of the game, but its decent ending means I have better memories of it.
Pillars was decent for its first 2/3, but its party members are boring and the whole last 1/3 of the game sucks.
>>
>>1361953
>>1362106
It's utter trash. Sunk cost. I played until it "opened up" (25 hours in), realised that "open up" just meant you do the exact same things as you did the other 25 hours except the area is wider and then just kept playing.
>>
>>1361881
Start to finish...
Hrmmmm
Probably
>Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
But thats an obvious one. You could put perhaps Breath of Fire 1 on there, just given the fact that despite the great universe, music, the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
>>1361881
>all these meme responses
Why am I not surprised that /vrpg/ posters only play the bare minimum?
>>
File: 78.jpg (40 KB, 359x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>
>>1362263
I play plenty of genres of video games so I don't feel a need to scrape the bottom of the barrel of NISA shovelware
>>
Legend of Heroes IV on the PC-98. The game is extremely rushed in places, the game just feels like a massive grindfest. It's a shame because if it wasn't rushed then it could be interesting. Instead it's a shitty "open world" game that refuses a ton of maps over and over again with no sense of exploration, only a constant grind.
>>
>>1362514
*reuses
My bad
>>
>>1361881
Tales of Legendia.
The music was fantastic so I'm not even mad.
>>
>>1361881
not just the worst rpg... the worst GAME ever made. a total travesty.
>>
File: chroma-squad-switch-hero.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1080)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>1361881
The story was awful memey shit with broken english and neckbeard kickstarter backers showing up to save the day every 10 minutes, the gameplay despite having a sim element to it manages to be instantly repetitive, shallower and less balanced than Persona, with brilliant mechanics like long QTE kaiju battles and an RNG gear crafting system when you can't replay battles to get materials. No idea why I stuck around to finish this, I guess I was waiting for it to live up to the "overwhelmingly positive" on steam.
>>
>>1361932
This.
>>1361935
Yeah this might be it for me, kinda by default because I drop 30+ hour games if I don't like them. I even originally dropped FFIX but forced myself to replay it to completion a few years ago. I've tried to get into FF10 and FF12 but just cannot.
>>
>>1362601
Are you trying to summon him?
>>
>>1362262
>>1362725
Ah, yeah. I'd say FFIX is better than FFMQ. That said, it's a very short game, you can beat the whole thing in the time it takes to get through the disc or so in FFIX.
>>
File: fma.jpg (190 KB, 1113x1600)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
I got it when I was 13, and I thought it'd be cool, but it got repetitive insanely quickly. It was a harsh lesson.
>>
>>1362601
It wasn't HORRIBLE, just mediocre.
>>
>>1361884
absolutely this. what a worthless piece of shit
>>
Persona 3. Everyone hyped the fuck out of the ending which I kept playing for, but when I got there it was more generic EVA rip off shit. Not even half the emotional impact of KH or FF.
>>
>>1361881
It wasn't terrible, but probably West of Loathing. It does some things very well but combat is not one of them. Thankfully, losing combat is unimportant.

I've played worse RPGs but I dropped them.
>>
File: 51IqKY8a28L._AC_.jpg (32 KB, 291x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
I really wished it was better since it was so pretty.
>>
Probably White Knight Chronicles. It's not only incredibly boring, but it also lets you make a character who has no real relevance to anything that's going on.
>>
>>1361881
FF2 was unironically ahead of its time.
>>
>>1363381
Too ambitious for the time, it tried to be a late SNES title in 1988. I wish they'd remake the game and finish it, add in those character and story scenes and add more complexity into the mechanics.
>>
File: Baten Kaidos.png (1.25 MB, 1024x680)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Found it to be exceptionally boring after awhile, but the plot twist and the story kept me going.
Was Origins any better, or should I skip it?
>>
File: 1614056998304.jpg (259 KB, 1500x1000)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
I thought because I liked FFT and the Ogre series that I'd like this. Nope fuck this game
>>
Final Fantasy 15. I usually drop games I don't like, but something compelled me to finish game. I wanted to be able to say without a shred of doubt, that I think this game is fucking terrible. Start to finish. Sure there are some good or ok moments, but as a whole, the game is a fucking mess. This was on release of course. So I experience the half finished and half assed mess of story. Even after they "finished" the game, I still just couldn't bring myself to play through it again. It still played horribly.
>>
>>1363449
It still isn't finished and never will be lol. What a trash fire of a game.
>>
>>1363410
I think Origins is much better gameplay wise but if you hated the first game you might not like it either.
>>
>>1361881
Do remakes of that count? I went through it on GBA. Also: Blazing Souls. You think IF games are bad now? They're nothing compared to IF Neverland games from the late-90s/early-2000s.
>>
>>1361881
>>1361884
It's one of these 2. However I do think I have to give my vote to II though. XIII was bad overall, but FFII was at best ok and at worst thoroughly annoying. It did have some good ideas, but they weren't really executed properly.
>>
>>1361884
Take it back fucker
>>
>>1361881
FF8
>>
>>1363770
You'll never be a woman
>>
>>1362601
idk i liked it
>>
>>1361881
Imagine being called Guy
>>
>>1363416
What sucks about it?
I liked the Infinity Engine games in the late 90s (BG1, BG2, IWD1) and also FFT and LUCT. I understand that PoE and DOSII are inspired by the IE games and DOSII's trailer looks like it incorporates terrain into combat.
>>
>>1363088
Ugh, I tried that one before. I'm surprised you could up with it long enough to beat it.
>>
File: beyond garbage.png (172 KB, 300x290)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>1361881
Beyond the Beyond. Honestly the main reason I finished this one was to be able to say I've done it. The only things that ever stood out during this thing were when the developers completely screwed things up. Otherwise, completely forgettable.
>>
>>1365155
I couldn't finish Beyond the Beyond
The only other game that gave me a similar feeling of slowly dying as I played it was Paper Mario Sticker Star
>>
>>1361881
>>
>>1362514
The Tear of Vermillion? Same. The story wasn't event that interesting to reward all the grind.
I found Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch a lot more interesting and charming though.
>>
Persona 5. The game was stylish and simulated a urban environment in an amazing way, but all the characters sucked and alll the initial hooks they used to get you to commit 50+ hours to it they then pursued out on. Starts out in medias res with the hook that one of your companions betrayed you! Oh haha, turns out it was the obvious psychopath who joined your party last. A story about juvenile delinquency! Except there isn’t a single juvenile delinquent in it. By the time all the initial hooks are exhausted you are already 70 hours in and you just want the fucking thing to end... but it has to keep adding new bosses, new enemies for another 40 hours, have maudlin death scenes for worst character (which again, they pussy out on). Just the worst set up to be a dreadful game that you actually finish.
>>
>>1365262
The problem is Japan do not like heel turns, and have trouble with making good villains... in the west, there is an idea from Christianity known as the “glamor of evil”, where wickedness has a pull of its own. Ricecels have nothing comparable, wickedness to them comes from not eating enough tiger dicks or getting the wrong acupuncture or w/e.
>>
KoTOR is still the only game that made me angry enough to write a review in Steam.
>>
>>1365262
I somewhat agree but j still liked the overall story and message of the game, i liked certain confidants a lot and I didn't think the characters were nearly as bad. Also the twist is about the fact that the PTs knew it, irs set up so the player knows who the traitor is but he doesn't know that the PTs know. It was certainly surprising for me.

I liked that the game critiques what the PTs have been doing all game as pointless or superfluous and encourages the player to not focus on the bad guys in charge but the social structures that support them and put them in place. It's a valuable and more meaningful message than what you find in most novels aimed at teenagers who think metooing bad guys is how you fix society. The majority of the fanbass didn't get that point though.
>>
>>1363416
>>1365111
Apart from the dialogue being a matter of taste and the colorful visuals, I see nothing wrong with this game.
>>
>>1365299
but not angry enough to stop playing lol
>>
>>1361881
Phantasy Star 3
Some of you are posting 4/10s or 5/10s so I'm assuming you're not as autistic as me and finishing games for the sake of finishing them
PS3 was the only true 1/10 game that I didn't drop because I wanted to play through the entire series.
The sad thing is it had some good ideas with the worst execution imaginable.
>>
>>1365502
I finish every game, regardless on how I feel about it. I may take long breaks and play others things, but I will ALWAYS come back to finish it.
>>
>>1361881
Luminous Arc 1.
>>
File: 1589935671926.jpg (1.04 MB, 2499x2375)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>1361881
Pic related. It's extremely railroaded and just not fun. The only saving grace was that it's extremely short, even shorter than some of the NES FF or DQ games. I've, never before, played a game that is so simple, handhold-y, linear, and obnoxiously railroaded. I liked nothing about it and found it to take itself way too seriously considering how silly it was. At least FF5 was honest with itself and didn't pretend to be much more than your average sunday morning cartoon.
People sometimes praise this game for providing a challenge (which I honestly believe only happens if you intentionally avoid encounters), but that is really only because the developers took away any agency the player had and forced you to play a completely pre-defined party with pre-defined progression and roles. Just really lazy.
>>
>>1365796
Which version did you play?
>>
>>1361907
>pokemon with demons
Phew, for a second there I thought this post was serious! Funny bait, my dude.
>>
>>1365796
>evelopers took away any agency the player had and forced you to play a completely pre-defined party with pre-defined progression and roles. Just really lazy.
No this isn't laziness. This is you just being too much of lazy plebian and not wanting to deal with having 2 heavy fighters who can't wear their armor for a whole dungeon. You want to be able to cheese every single encounter with optimized builds.
>>
File: 5a07da611d54b_EvergraceII.jpg (1.07 MB, 1550x1920)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
Easily the worst shit FromSoft has ever put out, and I'll fight every Soulsborne fanboy who's entire personality is hating DS2 on that.
>>
This is probably the “worst” rpg I’ve played of the current gen. For some reason I can’t get over how many corners Koei Tecmo and Gust cut while trying to also push a 60 dollar season pass on top of a 60 dollar base game that just reuses Atelier engine and somehow made it worse. Did I mention the season pass “unlocks” a bonus dungeon with no backstory and “very difficult requests” which are the same generic fetch X in Y map or kill X amount of monsters but just on a higher difficulty? Every antagonist is either behind the camera because they couldn’t be bothered to model them or uses the generic enemy model. Half the cast is never shown on camera and just talks off screen because they couldn’t be bothered to model them either. I have a big list of rants and mistakes that were made in this game but now my blood pressure’s boiling on wasting money on this. It should’ve been a Musou. Not a re-skin of Atelier Totori.
>>
>>1362263

It's still probably Argarest War. The first one. I've probably played worse RPG Maker games I can barely remember, but Argarest War sticks out in my mind as a game given a full released that was so boring as to be unplayable.
>>
>>1365796
>the developers took away any agency the player had and forced you to play a completely pre-defined party with pre-defined progression and roles

This wasn't really out of laziness, at the time they were basically pioneering a new type of narrative-driven JRPG with it, FFIV was basically the second game to do that after DQIV a year prior, both games kinda broke ground by introducing the concept of JRPGs with parties of characters with backstories and pre-defined roles instead of them just being whatever you wanted them to be, to a much greater extent than DQII or FFII did

Now with that said I'm not altogether disagreeing with you, I think FFIV is a pretty weak game if judged in a vacuum without giving it a free pass for its influence and contemporaries, just saying that there wasn't very much else like it at the time it came out
>>
>>1361881
7th stand user

Fuck the JoJo cucks shilling their self insert fanfic bs cringe nonstop game sucked if you ever see them shilling it don't play the game and flame it's fans out of 4chan
>>
>>1365871
Make a thread and compile all your grievances.
I haven't played it but checked out the hype for fun, they didn't even have cutscenes for big moments, they just fade to black and say "Wow, cool stuff sure happened".
>>
This. I wonder if the second game is any better because I did enjoy the gameplay.
>>
File: 1546920711118.png (406 KB, 573x602)
406 KB
406 KB PNG
>>1365155
same and with the exact same sentiment
>>
>>1362769
I played the 2nd one and at least it had better combat.
>>
>>1366021
U mad?
>>
>>1365833
>Easily the worst shit FromSoft has ever put out
No that's the kinect Steel Battalion sequel
>>
>>1366281
Yes, I'm seething actually jojobrony
>>
>>1365405
>Also the twist is about the fact that the PTs knew it, irs set up so the player knows who the traitor is but he doesn't know that the PTs know. It was certainly surprising for me.

I figured out they knew when futaba fucked around with his phone. Chekhov’s gun, whatnot. Regardless, a great hook they completely wussied out.
>>
>>1366021
Why did you finish it? The game doesn't pretend to be anything else but what it is. It's your own fault you wasted your time.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.