[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: haha....jpg (207 KB, 1280x720)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
You may not like it, but this was objectively the best jrpg of the last generation
>>
>>1359417
but 4 was better in every way
>>
>>1359417
But there's already a trails thread up though
>>
Started Trails in the Sky blindly about 10 days ago and just beat the first one. Cannot wait to get to Cold Steel games but I got 4 more games to go.
>>
Lin kyoukan...
>>
>>1359468
The entirety of the Sky arc is a massive nothing burger and the crossbel arc is only available through a meme translation and the second isn't done yet
Shit nigger what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>1359475
The fuck you talking about. I'm starting the series properly from scratch. What are you trying to say
>>
>>1359546
don't listen to him anon, play all the games, and don't skip the crossbell ones
>>
>>1359556
As planned. Giving this series a serious shot.
>>
>>1359458
yes but this thread is about cs3
>>
>>1359417
It's boring though
>>
>>1359678
less than DQ, FF and Gaysauna.
>>
File: rean meme.jpg (26 KB, 233x352)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1359417
Just finished CS 1 and 2

was gonna play TiTS and Crossbell next

Fuck it just gonna play more Rean.
>>
>>1359762
Don't do that faggot
>>
FF was actually fun and enjoyable. This wasn't. But I respect it. Don't shove it down me throat though. I understand that you like the game. No need to fuck me in the ass
>>
>>1359765
why not
>>
not my fault you have shit taste
>>
>>1359475
>>1359546
The Flame translation of Ao no Kiseki is fine dont listen to reddit geofags like this trying to dissuade you from playing it
>>
>>1359798
Because you're a faggot, at least play the Liberl arc.
>>
>>1359417
Hajimari is better
>>
>>1359796
You are a faggot. Dumb faggot.
>>
>>1359796
Nah Trails is better. FF games are just too basic and too boring. Trails actually keeps you hooked.
>>
File: 1595296726573.png (603 KB, 750x600)
603 KB
603 KB PNG
>>
>>1359798
you'll suffer from rean overdose and your only method of communication will be "haha..."
>>
lol
>>
>>1359475
>tfw just finished all of Sky/Crossbell and am currently halfway through the cold steel saga
Good shit.
You're in for an absolute ride, anon. Don't listen to ANYONE telling you to skip games. Play them all and you will not regret it
>>
>>1363498
Goddamn, this fanbase is as delusional as it is obsessed. Go play a good game.
>>
>>1361119
Certainly doesn't sound better. At least CS3 sounds like a PS3 game, Hahajimari sounds like a PS2 game
The music actually regressed somehow.
>>
>>1363510
haha...
>>
>>1361462
FF games have way, way better story and music and characters plus more soulful graphics, but Trails has it beat in gameplay.
>>
>>1363527
Nevermind story and characters even if youare obviously wrong, but music in kiseki roll on FF. Even the old uematsu tracks are not anywhere as great as Merciless Savior or Azure Arbitrator
>>
>>1363652
I partially agree, Kekseki's best is more hype than FF's best but I vastly prefer the majority of tracks in FF games over that of Trails.
>>
>>1363666
fair enough
>>
>>1363523
The good Falcom composer is becoming less and less involved in projects and the new guys tend to write what sounds like, high-energy elevator music. I never played it but you can hear in Tokyo Xanadu's OST that they've basically been reusing the same song structures, scale progressions and motifs to a point where everything but battle music starts to sound the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_mTpqeKEto
>>
>>1363714
>high-energy elevator music
>they've basically been reusing the same song structures, scale progressions and motifs to a point where everything but battle music starts to sound the same.
Thank you for putting my thoughts into words. Honestly it's a miracle Ys 9 sounds as unique in comparison as it does if it's the same people working on its music. I have to imagine the setting is partially to blame, maybe the composers can only feel so inspired by the same sorts of areas in the same world over only a short amount of time with no real drastic changes to the setting, to say nothing of the time crunch they might be under with yearly releases and whatever. I only think this since Ys 9 sounds much more inspired due to what I assume is an area based on France and/or Italy, judging by its music. There's just not much in the way of exotic cultures or ethnicities or locales in Trails that you won't find in other JRPGs in some regard. Tokyo Xanadu at least let them focus a bit more on a 'modern' feel instead of their (post-Sky 3) 'modern & fantasy' feel they usually do.

To me the only real stinkers are CS3 and Hajimari. I give TX a pass since it feels like a side game and while Hajimari does seem like it's at least trying something a bit new with its softer sound, it's just kinda meh compared to CS 1, 2, & 4. That said, Infinity Rage is a total banger. Not like Hajimari is outright bad sounding as a whole, but it is a bit of a letdown.
>>
>>1363666
Howl of the Departed and the Extreme are more hype than kekseki flower metal.
>>
>>1364005
clean your ears fag
>>
>>1364019
Cope. The Extreme also has context behind it that elevates it beyond another Stratovarius copy/paste.
>>
>>1364029
anon, it has been proved time & time again that uematsu always ripped off a bunch of older tracks, there have been threads about that on this very website (not this board since its older though)
actually very few modern musician don't steal.
>>
>>1363527
>way, way better story
lol no. It’s cookie cutter af
>and music
Lol no
>and characters
Better designs maybe but they aren’t any better than Kiseki
>plus more soulful graphics
It’s about the same. Modern Kiseki and modern FF both look soulless.
>>1364005
They’re just the typical generic Nobuo formula i.e. ‘ominous dark theme turns into energetic battle theme’. Merciless Saviour is better.
>>
>>1364033
The vast majority of music is derivative. Uematsu doesn't have a history of plagiarism, though. Starting with FF6, his music's always been more about creating a thematically consistent sound for each individual setting rather than to just create blazing power metal, which he did flat out do with the Black Mages/Earthbound Papas.
>>
>>1364039
You could say the same for Kiseki. Most of the tracks are tailored towards specific tones and scenes. Trails 3rd is the best example of this.
>>
>>1364038
You can apply your logic to any Falcom final boss theme as well. Exactly the same thing in each and every game.
>>
>>1364033
You cannot honestly talk about that in regards to Uematsu in defense of jdk music. Do you realize just how similar the Trails games' soundtracks are? Like, for real?
>>
>>1364043
Definitely not to the same extent. Plenty of music in the Sky trilogy felt randomly composed and inconsistent with the overall sound. Uematsu was guilty of this for half his FF career as well. Lost Odyssey and FF8 are his most impressive OSTs and create an extremely distinct and consistent sound. FF10 was diluted by multiple composers who ruined his intended sound, and it's extremely jarring.
>>
>>1364045
you were the who said that jdk ripped off famous power metal tracks, i said that uematsu did the same
we are talking about japs here, creativity isn't really their forte, they will always copy and sometimes try to improve what they copy, rather than creating something on their own.
>>
>metal fag is retarded
every time
>>
>>1364059
Everyone rips of everything. Even the most influential and memorable power metal bands of the 90s ripped off music, even from other genres. And then the ripped off songs were ripped off by that one Dragonball composer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRYILfhpqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSOVVs78wr8
>>
>>1364085
Sometimes it happens in reverse.
https://youtu.be/i9KuPI1tj9c?t=237 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B8M8s2Y2yQ 1999
>>
Who did adolescent military academy better, Cold Steel or FFVIII?
>>
>>1364116
>>1364116
OST wise, the only track I like from CS1 and 2 is this. Meanwhile FF8 has one of the GOAT OSTs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsfGVHAqwMc
Story wise, clearly FF8. The military academy exists solely to train Squall and the children from his orphanage to kill a future godlike sorceress. You take part in multiple military operations and assignments.
>training mission is go fuck up a fire god
>exam is go to fucking war and fight an actual army of trained soldiers
>first mission is to help some fucking psychos to kidnap the president of a different nation, and to do so you fuck around on a moving train and decouple cars
>your next assignment is involves staking out a city and preparing to assassinate another political figure in the form of sorceress edea
>you're imprisoned and tortured in an underground desert facility
>you stop and redirect missiles aimed at all the military academies in the world
>you free an occupied town
>you fight in an all out war across 2 flying buildings
Actual military shit happening. It's not just an excuse to have social sim aspects in the game.
>>
>>1364116
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVP_nCK0tXU
vs
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi9-5ukw0o
>>
>>1364056
>Plenty of music in the Sky trilogy felt randomly composed and inconsistent with the overall sound. Uematsu was guilty of this for half his FF career as well. Lost Odyssey and FF8 are his most impressive OSTs and create an extremely distinct and consistent sound. FF10 was diluted by multiple composers who ruined his intended sound, and it's extremely jarring.
No the Sky tracks were very much tailored. What do you mean by ‘inconsistent with the overall sound’ and ‘randomly composed’? The whole point behind Trails is that it goes from peak comfy to craziness. The soundtrack reflects this.
Odyssey is trash and FF8 sounds mediocre asf. I’ll never get the hype behind FF8’s soundtrack. It’s so boring.
>>1364044
Well you’re not wrong, most of them are the same. Same goes for Nobuo.
>>
>>1364195
>Odyssey is trash
Hello, shit opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCkn9l3Rg4
Second half is 10/10.
>>
>Trails vs FFVIII
Shit versus crap. Can't believe y'all even see this as a competition worth winning.
>>
>>1364264
Go make another BBC thread on /gif/, tranny.
>>
>>1364270
Your reply says more about you than it does me.
>>
>>1364279
I'm not the one shitting up an entire board with my fetish.
>>
>>1361112
What's wrong with being gay you retard

Also fuck skyboomers, TiTS is boring unplayable trash I'm going back to Cold Rean
>>
>>1363094
>muh crossbell
Kurt didn’t even help during Juna’s nervous breakdown, Rean’s friendship speech saved the day.
>>
>>1364281
I'm not the one bringing a completely unrelated board into the conversation.
>>
>>1364264
>y'all
Please kys you worthless abomination
>>1364281
Don’t argue with it.
>>
Finished CS 1 and 2, playing TiTS now. Guys I don't want to spend another 500 hours on this, I want to play Cold Steel 3...
>>
>>1364519
They are half as long, 50-60 hours per game
>>
>>1364524
>Cold Steel games are twice as long
Dropped.
>>
>>1364524
Yeah but they don't have Rean
>>
>>1364609
Sorry bud you're on a major jrpg board. What exactly were you expecting
>>
>>1364264
>y'all
You're neither Texan nor black. See yourself out Twitter faggot.
>>
Official list of Trails games, best to worst:
Sky 1 > Sky 2 > Sky 3 > Zero > Ao > CS 1 > CS 2 > CS 3 > CS 4 > Hahajimari > Nayuta > Tokyo Xanadu

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.