[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download1.jpg (251 KB, 812x541)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
NWN 1 or 2, which does /vrpg/ prefer?
>>
>>
>>
>>
Another great thread
>>
1's sou+hotu are fantastic, even if kinda janky imo, plus the game just feels complete to me
meanwhile 2 looks like it's made of plastic imo and has a ton of animations missing
to this day i can remember killing a dragon and it just sorta freezing in the spot, seemingly not even having a death animation
gonna give credit where it's due though - the quick casting menu is a massive improvement to the constant fiddling in 1
also, motb is a pretty good campaign, though only the evil path feels worth re-playing after seeing the alternative once
can't comment on mods for either, since i only played a few, all for 1, and it's mostly been fairly incomplex shit like penultima
>>
>>1354043
A Dance with Rogues
>>
The 90's SSI Neverwinter Nights (which I have never played.

Without any irony.
>>
>>1354043
1 is a shit game only good for the multiplayer and user made content. 2 is a shit game.
>>
>>1354043
Start with Shadows of Undrentide.
>>
File: file.png (161 KB, 450x223)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>1354043
NWN1 base game is trash
NWN1 Shadows of Undrentide is trash
NWN1 Hordes of the Underdark is okay.
NWN1 user-made content is great.

NWN2 base game is okay.
NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is great.
NWN2 Storm of Zehir is okay.
NWN2 user-made content is okay.

People will claim that the NWN2 engine is worse than the NWN1 engine, but those people are mentally retarded. Apart from the camera (which they later improved anyway) and the custom server multiplayer (which they fucked up by not allowing you to auto-download the mods you need), NWN2 is superior in all aspects. The fact alone that you barely have any control over your party in NWN1 makes it an awful game.
>>
>>1355665
>I played the NWN games for first time 2 years ago
Thanks for your useful input, gen Z bro.
>>
File: 1611938417107.png (143 KB, 1165x1289)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
bros I'm pretty new to fan modules. I played Ailund Saga and really enjoyed it, do you guys have any more suggestions? I want to play Swordflight, but I'm scared of getting blueballed af by it not yet being finished. is it worth it to play through the first 4 chapters?
>>
>only CRPG ever made where the focus can actually be on roleplaying
>thanks to the powerful editor, there are endless real D&D modules to play
>the usual CRPG style campaigns are still decent
How is NWN so underrated?
>>
>>1354366
Isnt it unfinished?
>>
>>1355787
No, it's been finished for years now. Author did a revamp of part of it recently, but the originals are great too.
>>
>>1354043
NWN1. The lack of party control is a major mark against it, but the rest of the gameplay, the editor, and the user-made content make it superior to NWN2. NWN2 is full of little things that annoy the hell out of me, all adding up to a game that I just don't enjoy playing, and since its editor was apparently a lot harder to use, there aren't anywhere near as many modules available for it.

>>1355741
I highly recommend Tales of Arterra. It's my personal favorite.

Others I liked:
Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon (play them in that order)
Darkness over Daggerford
Bastard of Kosigan
Gladiatrix
Tale of a Mage
>>
>>1354043
Judging solely on the official campaigns and expansions, Neverwinter Nights 2 without a doubt.
>>
File: 1508597887319.jpg (33 KB, 480x318)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1358767
nice, thanks anon! capping your post for the list, going to start out with ToA
>>
>>1358829
Does NWN2 still have towns with the same depth as NWN? NWN levels seemed big to me, a lot you could easily skip by.
>>
>>1355726
I played both of them when they came out. Doesn't change the fact that NWN1 is a trash game that's only noteworthy for its toolset.

Good to see that you have no actual arguments and have to resort to such a transparent ad hominem though. I always love being proven right by seething brainlets.
>>
>>1354043
>NWN1: no party
>NWN2: awful party
Hard to decide.
>>
the only thing 1 has over 2 are the animations
>>
>>1359366
>I played both of them when they came out
>"People will claim that the NWN2 engine is worse than the NWN1 engine, but those people are mentally retarded"
Is really easy to catch a liar, and that's just one of your mistakes.

>you have no actual arguments
Why bother? You're a liar and too clueless to notice it.
>>
>>1354043
neither
>>
>>1354043
Both are good in different ways.
>>
>>1354043
2 categorically.

There is a lot of ill felling towards nwn2 for a variety of reasons such as the changes to the gameplay, behaving more like the infinity engine crpgs, and the bugs. I didn't have Internet when it came out so I couldn't play it for the longest time. Nwn was a pretty big leap from baldurs gate and clearly set the precedent for a lot of kotor and dragon age. To compare OC to OC, nwn2 wins hands down. Sure, the story is generic and so are the characters; however both of those are a lot better than nwn1, in that it actually had characters and the story has a few more twists and mystery than the skeleton of nwn.
For gameplay, nwn is a single character game, purely. You can't customise your companions, they are invariably irritating and have very little in terms of a plot. Youre also gimped if you don't either play as a rogue, or take Tommy with you. It can be done, but it does slow things down a lot, so for the first few playthroughs you might never use half of them.
Nwn 2 on the other hand has characters like you might expect from the likes of baldurs gate, except more annoying, less interesting and far more generic.
However, you meet them organically throughout the campaign and some have decently fun quests. You can customise them, although not to a full exten.
Nwn 2 also features more challenging and tactical combat as you're given full control over your party.

Really it boils down to what you like. I started with bg, so nwn felt like a shitty step backwards. If you started with nwn, you might feel the same about the sequel.
>>
>>1355665
>calls people retarded
>has a retarded opinion that NWN2 engine is better based on something that isn't an engine limitation but a UI limitation
Yeah when people say the NWN2 engine is shit they mean it's fucked full of middleware, outsourcing, and inhouse dirty hacks. The whole thing shits the bed in many various ways and ties builder and modder hands for the most retarded shit and redundant reasons. Someone that doesn't understand this and has more than 100 hours in each game is a retard.
>>
>>1354043
How to spot a pretend fan
>bitches about lack of party control in NWN
>praises the NWN OC
>praises NWN2
>only plays single player
>only plays official content
>thinks NWN2 modding and toolset is more powerful
>thinks anyone gives a shit about their opinions of official content
>has ever completed any of the official content

The more that apply to a post the more likely it's a zoomer larping.
>>
>>1360140
I started with Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Eye of the Beholder. I also played Might & Magic and even Descent to Undermountain. I played Baldur's Gate, BGII, IWD, PST, Fallout, IWD2, Fallout 2, Arcanum, ToEE, heck even Pool of Radiance II. I liked NWN but NWN2 was lack luster and brain dead, had too many bugs, bad animations, really shoddy and broken rules implementation, and super easy to exploit so much so people no longer considered it exploits after a while. Absolutely no thinking is required to play either NWN or NWN2, you can solo both games easily enough. The party stuff is superfluous outside of story content.
>>
>>1360245
I was primarily comparing oc to oc, where when you consider what came before nwn, a competent sory is important. Nwn's oc story is plain boring. Nwn2 isn't much better, but it is. The dialogue is also better and the moment to moment gameplay is more engaging in my opinion. Nwn has its share of bugs and shitty pathfinding - but its better to compare the current versions you can buy today with it. I dropped nwn 2 for a long time until it was playable, but I do think it has a lot more to offer than the first game. I play them both however, and really like nwn, but love nwn 2. That's just my shitty opinion.
>>
>>1360245
>The party stuff is superfluous
Really? I thought it adds boat load of tactical options and maneuvers that aren't entirely possible in NWN.
>>
>>1354366
This
>>
>>1357352
How recently? Last big update I remember was adding the option to fight a bunch of orcs to retake a castle for the good ending in the last part, anything new since then?
>>
>>1360694
I can see how it comes across as superfluous if you don't fiddle with the ai settings, like if they're casting their own spells theres not much to do.
>>
With how perfect for roleplaying the persistent worlds sound on paper, it's surprising no one has any great experiences to share ITT.

I'm running through the OC to get used to it but I'm not sure whether to take the plunge and buy an EE license for the online yet. I'll probably just play the expansions and some tabletop conversions first.

The Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and upcoming Dark Sun servers sound fun.
>>
>>1355630
Doesn't that assume familiarity with the events of the original campaign?
>>
>>1360700
Very recently, it was released at the end of last year. It's a rework of a bunch of the first part, has its own page on the vault and everything. Think it was called EE edition, but it works fine on diamond. Can ignore the info about how it doesn't play well with other mods too, if she hasn't fixed that yet, it didn't create issues for me or someone else I talked to about it.
>>
>>1361925
It does, but the story is so barebones it wouldn't take long to either figure out or just Google the plot. Plot and dialogue aren't focuses of the first game at all really.
>>
>>1361577
Thats a great point. People always talk about how great pw servers were but we aren't often given any interesting tales
>>
>>1354043
NWN2 can't compete with NWN1 at all. NWN1 just has too much user made content and PWs in comparison
>>
>>1362209
User made content isn't really a judgement on the game itself though
>>
>>1354043
ACUTALLY, the recent spate of NVWN threads made me re-download both. Playing 1 at work, and 2 at home. 2 has the better feel of gameplay, but has so many graphical issues with the backround choppiness. both are worth the play for sure
>>
The Myrkul dialogue in that NWN expansion pack was pure kino, wasnt beaten until sovereign in ME 1
>>
>>1362194
SoU's story is shit as well. It boggles my mind you can shit on OC and praise the expansion in the same sentence.
>>
>>1362419
Thats because I didnt. I'm not the same anon who recommended it, but I can see why you might be confused.
>>
>>1362325
That reminded me, I had this bug where it was choppy as shit for some reason, restarting the game fixed it. I think there's fixes out there for modern systems I'm not sure
>>
>>1362312
Game was made for multiplayer and used made content tho. Truly the Quake 3 Arena of RPGs.
>>
>>1362800
Yes so it would ultimately be judged on the modding tools, rather than what players choose to do with them
>>
>>1363040
That's a fair measure. With Aurora you can make awesome multiplayer servers, modules or, dunno, a Witcher game. I don't even remember the name of the shitty NWN2 toolset. Guess you can try to make something and see how it crash?
>>
>>1354043
2 It was more playable. 1 is sort of a mess.
>>
How did Bioware go straight from making BG2 to NWN1? NWN doesn't even compare to how good the previous game was.
>>
>>1354043
2 for the expansion. 1 for the mods.
>>
>>1361954
It's almost certainly not done by valine. And pretty buggy.
>>
>>1363366
It was the era of transitioning to 3d engines. A lot of effort went into starting from scratch. It's still the best wpg toolset anyone has released.

Plus, I think a lot of people underestimate how much black isle contributed to bg2.
>>
>>1362325
>2 has the better feel of gameplay
for me it's the other way around. I think the gameplay (including melee and spells) feels/looks better in NWN1, while I enjoy the "fullness" of visuals and characters in 2.
>>
>>1363583
Why do you say that it's not done by them? It is a bit buggy though, true.
>>
>>1354043
2 is utter shit
>>
>>1363057
You can make plenty of stuff with the electron engine toolset, it was buggy yes but not unusable
>>
>>1354043
I tried to start the first one, but I cannot go on.
It's so bloody boring.
Maybe the OC wasn't the way to go, though.
>>
>>1363366
Again, NWN is for online and user content. The single player campaign is an afterthought. Apples and oranges.

>>1364236
Is a straight downgrade from Aurora. Guess it looks prettier, but that's all.
>>
>>1364238
OC is primarily an engine demo and it's way too lengthy for a starter campaign. It would be good in co-op or if people made a Neverwinter persistent server.
>>
>>1364301
Especially visually, however the tileset system implemented in aurora is quite limiting. The heightmap on nwn2 is a straight upgrade in that regard, the general system of building environments is less restrictive and gives modders more freedom. I suppose you could put that as a visual upgrade but I took that primarily as adding normal maps and improved lighting, it is also worth saying that nwn was very ugly for its time in the visual department.
Electron also gives a better dialogue UI however overall I think its a lot less accessible, but with that comes significantly better capabilities for making nicer environments.
>>
>>1364746
>its a lot less accessible
Not acceptable. Powerful tools are for professionals. Accessibility is the priority for community tools.
>>
>>1364939
I think that's why, along with bugs the nwn community took off better than nwn 2. I personally remember being able to work a lot out in the nwn toolset as a kid but having to use more tutorials for nwn 2. Granted, I never made anything worth publishing but I do feel like you could achieve a lot if you were willing to put the work in to learn. If you're not willing to learn you're not likely to produce anything worthwhile on any toolset. It is less accessible but not to the point where its unacceptable, that accusation seems weirdly emotionally charged and I personally don't see it as such a huge negative.
>>
>>1354043
NWN1 for its extensive and active modding community.
>>
>>1365092
For what purpose?
>>
>>1365680
Fun, mostly. Sometimes sexual gratification too, although the two often overlap.
>>
>>1363786
Just some weird decisions here and there. Replacing text scenes with janky animations. Random guys buttfucking. Bulletin board quests. More railroading. Just felt off in a lot of places. Granted, tastes change and the last version was ten years ago.
>>
Will we ever get Neverwinter Nights 3?
>>
>>1366371
I could see that, but I'm fairly sure it was from an account that's confirmed to be her, was signed with -V as well I think? I do agree some of the choices are a bit weird, the animations in particular is just a bad decision, but overall I thought it still felt like her work. Maybe hard to tell when it would be based entirely off stuff she did though, particularly with a 10 year gap in between.
>>
>>1354043
/vrpg/ is not a single person therefore it cannot do that
>>
Are there no survival mods? What's the point in all the food items?

>>1366554
Spiritual successor is inevitable. Titular successor probably not.
>>
>>1366554
As a tool for used made/controlled mods, online servers and SP modules, all for free? No way. You'll get a brand recognition game using 5e and that's all, maybe made by Larian.
>>
I just noticed there's a good bunch of premium modules to buy in the Steam page. Any good ones?

>>1366554
I'm pretty sure there's been games since then that tried to be the "spiritual successor" by adding a mod making toolset, but they weren't even a quarter as popular.
>>
>>1366818
Which ones? Mod tools, sure, but a toolset that lets you make a complete game? The last one I can recall is the first dragon age and it was absolute shit.
>>
>>1366923
>Dark Dreams of Furiae
>Darkness over Daggerford
>Tyrants fo the Moonsea
>Pirates of the Sword Coast
>Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

>The last one I can recall is the first dragon age and it was absolute shit.
I'm pretty sure the first Divinity Original Sin also had one that barely saw any use.
>>
>>1366923
DA is also aurora engine so make of that what you will
>>
The games rely on their community content but their communities are retarded. For example, very few creations focus on an exact backstory/alignment/class/level. So anyone can play their module any way, which means the author can't focus on strong roleplaying design or even have well-balanced battles.
>>
>>1354043
I play nwn1 story modules with my non-fat/ugly etc gf. The online communities are extremely awkward and cringe.
>>
>>1368560
What kind of story modules do you play? Do you play with her by LDR or LAN? Also what makes the multiplayer servers cringe, some of them sound very focused on improving the singleplayer experience through DM controls and players effectively being more detailed NPCs.
>>
File: 1472052459972.jpg (16 KB, 210x330)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I like 1 more because it has more fan content and that's what the franchise is used for anyway. The only thing I miss is companion control and full party, but when you get fan made companions the results aren't that good
>>
>>1362198
We tend to be confined to the own servers, people tell the stories IC so they get the credit.

Me? I just shittalk elves with my dwarf in arelith and doomsay with my ezrite in ravenloft
>>
>>1355665
>People will claim that the NWN2 engine is worse than the NWN1 engine, but those people are mentally retarded.
Fuck you. I'm sick of dealing with NWN2's mentally fucking handicapped AI that somehow shits things up and cancels actions in the middle of combat even when it's completely turned off, absolute garbage camera system where the IE-esque modes are unusable because there's a limit to how far you can pan, still unfixed rubberbanding bugs that fuck up positioning and waste time, and outright shittier MP support than NWN1.
>>
>>1368957
>people tell the stories IC so they get the credit.
And are there no chat logs for the record? If the server goes down the stories are lost?

It makes no sense that the persistent worlds aren't publishing their happenings. Makes me suspect not much cool stuff occurs.
>>
>>1367138
DA used the eclipse engine.
>>
>>1368560
>I play nwn1 story modules with my non-fat/ugly etc gf. The online communities are extremely awkward and cringe
Do you have to buy 2 copies to play in the same household?
>>
>>1354043
Low poly tit jiggle.

Times were indeed different.
>>
File: adwr2.jpg (1.84 MB, 1920x1200)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>1370456
It was a better time.
>>
>>1370456
>>1370811
Glad developers grew up so the hobby is now less shameful. At least in the 1st world.
>>
>>1370811
We will live to see it return?
>>
Anyone else here think the NWN1 spell incantations sound cool and still sometimes pretend to cast spells while reciting them
>>
>>1370836
Low poly tit jiggle is shameful?
>>
>>1361577
>>1362198
That stuff is like a joke with your RL friends on tabletop D&D. Most of that stuff isn't that funny or interesting without a lot of context.

I used to host a NWN server with my RL friends, 2 of them manged the scripting and the rest were GMs there.
>>
File: adwr.jpg (1.92 MB, 1920x1200)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>1370837
It's still out there for anyone who wants to create a campaign.
>>
>>1370836
Looking for shameful 2nd and 3rd world rpgs. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1371467
I meant low poly tit jiggle in general but sure.

>>1371475
kek
>>
is it worth it in 2021 to learn nwscript and make a non rp playerworld?
>>
>>1360694
Not really, if you know D&D well enough the encounter design isn't too harsh. Then add in the exploits and you can do it half-asleep. Pillars mechanics aren't good by any means and suffer more from reduced complexity narrowing viability and overpowered pathways. They're both similar though in finding one or two tricks that make everything melt. Overall it's a symptom of poor systems design.

The pvp in NWN2 is also worse than NWN because of the same reason but then it's reinforced more by itemization instead.

Overall NWN2 has the tactical complexity of a kiddy pool and once you understand the mechanics it's easier to progress without trying to control a bunch of other puppets.

>>1360510
The story in any rpg isn't going to be amazing, it will be a fun romp if you go along with it. NWN OC was bland but judging NWN by the OC is like judging a console by the case design. The 3D engine in NWN is more polished and kinetic despite some bugs, NWN2's engine feels like cardboard cutouts that easily break.

NWN2 still has an audience but a lot of them have become delusional and say things like NWN2 has next gen photo-realistic graphics. Or that NWN2 could do X, Y, or Z if only this or that yadda yadda. The thing is that some of the best things NWN2 had going for it were handled sloppy like the effects system and the gui scripting system. Customizing and sorting new classes and races works better than even NWN EE but too many things weigh against it overall.

If I got to make NWN3 I would base it on NWN1 with obvious improvements. Basing something on NWN2 would be a dead end.
>>
>>1363366
The goal for NWN was different.

When Baldur's Gate came out people talked about how it was almost a virtual DM telling you a story and rolling the dice for you to see. This is not something you think about today and you might think this is ridiculous but back then it was huge. Yet Baldur's Gate was still limited because it wasn't really like a DM at all, it told you a story, the media was crafted to try and trick you into feeling it was personal. It wasn't, it was the same story everyone else got, the same limited set of interactions and outcomes.

At Bioware they didn't just want to tell you a story. They wanted to bring the D&D experience to you as a video game, anything should be possible. Some will say they were new to 3D or that multiplayer was too new. It has to be noted that Shattered Steel was Bioware's 3D game, Battleground Infinity was also designed to be a multiplayer pvp game before it was retooled to become Baldur's Gate. So NWN was the obvious step forward with robust multiplayer, DM client, custom servers, creation tools built specifically for ease of use. Even modern games should bugs and issues with multiplayer that aren't really a thing in NWN where the biggest issues are security and rubber banding if the server lags.

It has to be noted that they also considered techniques like height mapped terrain. It wasn't new to them, again look at their previous games. However the tile based system had several advantages. It was easy to configure them quickly into a map, they had an extremely small data footprint compared to either custom 3D levels or heighmap terrain, and the quality was controlled by the 3D modeller. NWN was not only the culmination of all their work but it was the peak of their ideals as game designers. Sadly it was made too soon, technology was changing too quickly and it would have benefited from being made a few years later.

>>1366554
No obviously not.
>>
>>1361577
>>1362198
>>1368957
>>1369100
There is nothing really to talk about. Like talking about a great thread back in 2006 or something, the moment has passed and the details matter less than the feeling.

There is plenty of server drama to talk about. Like how Arelith is stolen work from Amia or something.
How Ravenloft's head guys were fucking around and got caught then pretended they're family friendly. Rape and forced abortion plotlines on both Arelith and Ravenloft.
Greyhawk keep to themselves.
Knights of Norromath is run by a control freak who the NWNEE discord hate but otherwise it's fine.
Scars of Risenholm bombed by having fucked design after trying to steal players from other servers.
Scars of Risenholm is also made from ex Dragonneck or Eastern Reach people. A bunch of snobs without a clue that merged their efforts for a time before drama killed their worlds.
Anemoi was made by a disgruntled Arelith DM.

A lot of drama but the stories are only interesting if you're involved. Otherwise it's like you had a rival and then you beat them one day, got revenge, or maybe combined forces against some other threat. Stuff like that. It's usually also a little meta and involved server politics because people take it too seriously.

The small adventures you have when you're new to a server playing with other newbies are the best though.
>>
>>1370843
they were way cool, best in any game I've ever played
>>
>>1372378
>There is plenty of server drama to talk about. Like how Arelith is stolen work from Amia or something.
>How Ravenloft's head guys were fucking around and got caught then pretended they're family friendly.
>Rape and forced abortion plotlines on both Arelith and Ravenloft.
Tell me more?
>>
>>1372378
>maybe combined forces against some other threat
that sounds fun
>>
>>1372378
>>1370950
>you just had to be there, man
Sounds like an excuse for no cool shit going on. Take a trip over to /tg/ and you'll soon find endless cool roleplaying stories.
>>
>>1372920
You can probably google it and find the old /tg/ threads or find people still bringing it up at other places. In short favoritism allows different standards to exist for people. In a now defunct server the majority of the dm staff all croweded around the head dm doing wild shape sex with their favorite player. We were just shit talking and joking, looking through their unique items while they were text fucking, and of course the players couldn't see the dm.
It turns out that happened in some way on pretty much every server hosted for longer than a year.

>>1373039
It can be but like others have said it's all has personal relevance. Like different groups working together with different agendas. Sometimes betrayals, or custom items that unknown to others are scripted to explode if a non mage-guild member picks it up, creating the opportunity to escape. Personal stuff like that which is really hard if not impossible to do well in a pre-made story.
>>
>>1373075
Most of the stories on /tg/ aren't even cool. It's just that guy whining about some dumb stuff or not realizing they were the problem. The other side of it is that things go much quicker in a persistent world, you can only do cool shit so many times before it becomes having brunch or eating a pizza. Sure it's nice but it's nothing to write a story about. That's different in table top where you spend 8 hours on something that would take 10-20 minutes for the characters.
>>
>>1373075
>>you just had to be there, man
So, just like tabletop RPGs?

>Take a trip over to /tg/ and you'll soon find endless cool roleplaying stories.
>/tg/
>cool roleplaying stories
LMOA

Try playing a real tabletop game once in your life, assuming you have RL friends, and you might understand.
>>
>>1370843
I've been trying to memorise what noises my fighter/cleric makes with each spell and coordinating my buffing accordingly.

I'm on chapter 2 right now and hoping there's a way to upgrade my reaver+1. Anybody else doing a playthrough?
>>
>>1372311
The story is often bad in many rpgs yes, but some are better than others, nwn 2 is better than 1 in that regard, baldurs gate had a decent enough story, morrowind, loved the story and set up. Kotor 2. Its worth a comparison given that was and will be most peoples introduction or even their entire experience given in a game. The synced animations were great in nwn and improved upon in kotor. I always wanted nwn to be more in the same vein as bg, so it was not something I personally took issue with. In terms of huge improvements, nwn 2 moving away from the grid based system was a big step forward for the series. They are different games and I like them for different reasons
>>
>>1372378
This is the kind of shit I wanted to hear
>>
>>1373437
The height map in NWN2 was not a step forward. Shattered Steel has height maps as well as deformable terrain so BioWare knew how to do it and were more knowledgeable than Obsidian but they chose not to do it for NWN despite being newer than Shattered Steel and improved hardware. It was even something they considered for NWN development. So why did they not include it in NWN? We can look at NWN2 to find out and see what advantages it brought, and what drawbacks, and the limitations it had.

Advantages:
create terrain in a grid with vector deformation in z axis based on height map
color and paint terrain blended to each vertex of the height map
paint grass as needed
paint water as needed

Disadvantages:
it's a continuous deformed grid with deformation in 1 axis
it only has 6x6 vertices in each virtual 'tile' of the grid
only has 8 layers of color and textures per 2x2 meta-tile
no smooth transition between adjacent vertices of big height differences
low quality
area size can be over 50mb before placeables and still look shit vs 1-2 mb for a huge nwn area
No stand out terrain features without placeables
water is trash and a flat surface

This hit NWN2 area design and modding hard. It severely limited what could be done and it created a more strict budget on "well done" areas where you needed a lot of bland small areas for make room for the one or two areas that didn't look ass.

NWN tiles suffered from being old but the technology was solid and showed that the engineers at BioWare had a lot of foresight. Several modern terrain systems use methods that incorporate similar advantages as tiles had and stray away from simple height maps. It was a decades old technology even when NWN came out and it was a step back to use it for NWN2.

In the end it was one of the main reasons that caused the community split. It required more time to dump thousands of placeables in an area so it didn't look like a simple plane. The file size fucked multiplayer.
>>
Sounds like a lot of people here are complaining about multiplayer and level creation issues introduced, but why does that affect anyone's opinion of the game as played by one person through the official campaign content?
>>
>>1373706
see >>1362800
>>
>>1373706
Not only because the game was made for multiplayer and user content but because it makes official content handicapped by the same issues. That in turn means bugs and exploits never got fixed and they were wasting more time than necessary to get simple stuff done. Neither OC is good if that's your jam and both had one good expansion and one mediocre expansion. It also means you need a third party program to launch the game for you and run in the background the whole time to stop things from shitting the bed.
>>
>>1373709
Multiplayer kids don't know how to play an ordinary CRPG the normal way?
>>
>>1373732
They play normal single player crpgs for that.
>>
>>1368560
>I play nwn1 story modules with my non-fat/ugly etc gf
Bullshit. Women can't stand such dated, ugly graphics. Unless you mean one of the henchmen is your gf.
>>
NWN2 is unplayable.
>>
>>1373389
>you just can't explain it in words duuuuude
>but loads of stuff happened, yeah
>>
>>1373659
I think we are well into opinion territory on this one, to me nwn 2 looks so so much nicer than the first. Nwn really was ugly even for 2002. I really liked the heigtmap and undulations in terrain, there's even an exporter so you can use whatever tool you need to in order to get the job done. It wasn't a perfect system but it is prefersble to me, than having terraced hills everywhere.

Nwn 2 areas require a lot more effort to look nice, that is definitely some common ground. On the same token, you could say the same for oblivion compared to morrowind, or even if you wanted to compare planet zoo to zoo tycoon, exhibits take tenfold the amount of time to create, but because of the much higher level of detail, it really does look leaps better when the work was put in.

As for file sizes? Gaming was definitely heading that way, thats kind of par for the course when you have so much more detail.
>>
>>1373991
Yes people love a totally unplayable game, they all pretend and just fill in the blanks and there's nobody to contradict them because nobody knows. The plot for the OC was compiled from fragments on information in pre release interviews and the odd comment from Chris Avellone on the Codex forums.
>>
>>1373092
>>1373389
>Most of the stories on /tg/ aren't even cool
Last time I read /tg/ was just a few weeks ago and I was still seeing new and hilarious stories like https://warosu.org/tg/thread/S77159112#p77166925 and I've enjoyed such stories on and off for years.

The way you're being so evasive and defensive makes me wonder if you've even played tabletop. It's like you imagine it to be some monolithic that would make any NWN story sound lame, so you're too shy to share any and instead make do with sour remarks like "tabletop takes ages to play anyway". No one cares if it's lame or not, people just clearly want examples of what kind of dynamics go on in the PW.
>>
NWN was ripe for an overworld design, where modders could contribute campaigns for the appropriate region and level on a world map. Instead it's usually random and self-contained. Pretty stupid for a game with character import/export.
>>
>>1374548
Wasn't soz the only entry in the series to try that? I wouldn't necessarily say nwn 2 did it with the map but nwn does seem very self contained youre right
>>
>>1374022
Who is they? Game was considered mediocre since release.
>>
>>1374047
>that
>hilarious
For starters you don't even know the meaning of "hilarious".
>>
>>1375161
People who discuss and like nwn 2, the "people" i referred to in the first part of the sentence. Bearing in mind how motb in particular has pretty much universal praise. The game itself also recieved number of decent reviews on release. A lot of people like nwn 2, if we ever got nwn 3, I'd love to see it in a similar veins as 2.
>>
>>1374548
Honestly thought of either taking NWN 1 or 2 to see if I could get something like that working.
>>
>>1375642
There is a list on the Vault categorizing modules by region. I suppose it would be easy enough to map those. But since the golden age of creators is long past, it can never be used to guide the creations towards a common purpose. Persistent world quest choices are probably the closest thing to that concept, but it could have influenced them, too.
>>
>>1375192
>mad that he'd be too distracted by always imagining himself as a woman to avoid getting backstabbed like that
YWNBAW
>>
>>1375949
>say something retarded
>get told
>"YWNBAW"
Tourism 101.
>>
>>1354043
Which one lets my play drow? Preferably non Lolth drow.
>>
>>1377860
>Preferably non Lolth drow
D:OS3
>>
File: G3HandofDestiny.jpg (242 KB, 1368x768)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
I bet this is the place to ask, I really like Shadows of Undentride and Hordes.

Are there any genuinely good modules out there? I see a couple but have no idea if its worth it.

Also tons of very interesting coomer mods of all things.
>>
>>1374047
Guy in that story sounds about as faggoty as you. Be honest, it was you, wasn't it?
>>
>>1378635
Generally speaking the first modules that always get recommended are Aielund Saga, Tales of Arterra and the Prophet series. For smutty mods, Gladiatrix is pretty good, and A Dance with Rogues is usually considered good enough to hang with the other recommended ones. Specially now that's it's gotten a new version that makes it even better.
>>
>>1378722
Aielund Saga looks pretty cool.
A dance with rogues looks a bit gay.

Thanks.
>>
File: 1321414904fullres.jpg (340 KB, 1130x738)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>1378722
Although I must admit. Gladiatrix seems like the perfect blueprint for the masterpice coomer game stuck in an old ass engine.

Fucking hell.
>>
File: a6LvKxA_460s.jpg (39 KB, 416x592)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>download module
>open readme.txt
>"you will need to read the author's OC novels to gain necessary context for this campaign"
Are they for real? I could read more D&D supplements or even actual literature with that time.
>>
>>1378827
Autism is a powerful force anon.
>>
>>1378827
What in the absolute fuck are you trying to play? I have never seen any modder autistic enough to tell you to read their OC novel for context.
>>
File: 1191609843fullres.jpg (608 KB, 1280x960)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
>>1365031
So NWN2 goes for quality and singleplayer, while NWN goes for quantity and multiplayer?

And since no interesting stories of NWN multiplayer ever surfaced, I assume it wasn't that good.
>>
>>1378895

I cant deal with how ugly nwn2 is.
>>
>>1378892
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/wanderer-cep-version
(.doc file linked there)

He wants you to read his TRILOGY of unpublished books. I heard this is a common thing with more recent modules.
>>
>>1354043
I like 2 better, but I can totally see people liking 1 more.
Story-wise:
MotB > HotU > Sou > NWN2 > SoZ > NWN1
Gameplay wise: NWN2 >>> NWN1
User content wise: NWN1 >>> NWN2
>>
>>1378907
That's a shame, because that module looks really interesting if it delivers on what the main page promises, but fuck dude.
>>
>>1378900
Why? Although the art style is worse, it's at least HD graphics. You don't have that problem with the whole world looking square and weird 45 degree slopes everywhere. You can also remove the ugly 3D portraits with a UI mod.
>>
>>1378944
I don't think you need to follow his advice to play it. The few context required issues will get flagged in the reviews section.
>>
>>1378950
It looks amateurish and made by amateurs. I still remember my disappointment with vanilla nwn2.

Not even motb coudl fix it, its so ugly, the armors the weapons the idle animations. its from a dark time.
>>
>>1379033
Are you implying Saint Sawyer and co. have no eye for beauty?
>>
>>1378895
How to increase player thigh thickness?
>>
>>1379052
I think he does. But I am just talking about nwn2 something went wrong there.
>>
>>1354043
>NWN 1
Just werks.
>2
Need to install bug fixes, multiplayer, UI scaling, textures, etc.
>>
>>1374047
That guy just sounds like a cunt, not really a hilarious story at all. Betrayal can be fun, but betrayal that just is automatic loss for the whole party is retarded and the DM sounds like an idiot for letting it happen.
Not that it actually did happen, but still.
>>
>>1378907
It doesn't say that at all. How autistic are you?
>>
>>1378892
Not the guy you replied to, but I've seen people write novels for fan content for NWN and other games. Not to the point you have to read them to understand the mod itself, but they write stuff like "Please buy X to explore the universe more" in game or so
>>
>>1372311
>suffer more from reduced complexity narrowing viability and overpowered pathways.
Uhh m8, this is present in literally most rpg system. Even the beloved SSI goldbox and Div:Os suffers from this. I chalk it up to encounter designs more than the inherent RPG system in the game. The sheer amount of builds + party customization + tactical options and strategy that comes up with it just btfo NWN1 imo. Of course both games are janky mess but there's little quite like it imo.

>The pvp in NWN2 is also worse than NWN because of the same reason but then it's reinforced more by itemization instead.
How? I thought both had the same pvp system but with more micro autism in NWN2.

>it's easier to progress without trying to control a bunch of other puppets
Oh sure, I'm not doubting playing solo in NWN2 is inferior compared to NWN1 but thr main difference between NWN2 and 1 is that 2 gives you absolute direct control over the other parties which opens up fuckload of opportunities compared to 1. That's just me opinion anyway, I love both games equally.
>>
>>1354043
NWN1 was great until the xpaks when they added prestige classes and such.

I disliked the feel of NWN2, and didn't get far enough to warrant giving an opinion on it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.