[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BaK.jpg (82 KB, 629x800)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Betrayal at Krondor is a patrician storyfag RPG. Not like that shallow Bioware and Witcher garbage.
>>
Sir boomer, why aren't u dead from corona
>>
>>1351535
Quality entertainment is good for your overall health. Every Bioware game you consume decreases your life expectancy.
>>
Yeah, it was great. Shame it's so dated.
>>
It was the whole package, imo, not just storyfaggotry.

It was almost as open as Skyrim as far as freedom is concerned.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Yay, finally another fan of this game. It was the first computer RPG that got me hooked.

Which is your favorite chapter? Mine are 3 and 6.

The most memorable characters Navon, the dragon oracle, and that shady priest in one of the south eastern towns.
>>
>>1353862
3 and 6 are my favorites as well. The start of chapter 5 is rough if you didn't boost Locklear's equipment and stats in the first chapter.
>>
>>1351526
I used to replay it every 3-4 years but I can't really do much more than finish chapter 1 anymore. It's just too painful in terms of UI/movement to be a fun nostalgia trip and I'm too familiar with the content for that to keep me going.

I always loved Chapter 4, really makes it clear how bad the universe is shitting on poor Gorath
>>
>>1351526
yeah but it's old and ugly so I don't like playing it
>>
>>1351526
Great game. Really hoping Saregnar turns out well.
>>
>>1351526
>not on steam
oof
>>
>>1355746
search for "betrayal collection"
>>
>>1351526
pretty based opinion anon
>>
>>1355756
i will now buy and play your game
>>
>>1355768
that is kind of shilly huh

I just knew I had it already and was like ohh do I have another game that's been delisted like Alpha Protocol but no it's still there
>>
>>1355789
>ohh do I have another game that's been delisted like Alpha Protocol but no it's still there
i don't follow
>>
>>1351526
Based.
>>
>>1355916
Alpha Protocol used to be available on Steam. If you already bought it, you keep it in your library and can access it like normal, but no one can buy it anymore (delisted). So when the guy said Betrayal at Krondor isn't on Steam I thought maybe the same thing happened again.
>>
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/208/Betrayal+at+Krondor.html
It's here if you don't want to fork over cash to Gaben or lying Poles.
>>
Didn't Dynamics make this a free download off their website? I thought it was public domain.
>>
>>1356025
it was the floppy version IIRC and they still had the right to stop distributing it that way and start selling it again whenever they wanted

obviously get it as abandonware if you want though, no one that deserves any money for the game is still getting it
>>
>>1356057
I wonder if Feist still gets a cut
>>
>>1351526
Literally the only thing that drags down Krondor is the association with bad source material.
>>
>>1355970
oohh
pls send me a copy of alpha protocol on steam, i want to own it legally
>>
>>1356113
What don't you like about Riftwar?
>>
>>1356057
fyi, floppy version is all that you need. It has all voice lines, all that's missing is cd music, which is crap anyway in this game. Original midi music is superior. DL floppy version, run it over dosbox, and you've genuine experience.

For settings use:
cycles=30000
aspect=false
scaler=normal3x
>>
>>1356113
It does not have much to do with Riftwar. It's written by completely different bloke that worked at dynamix. It's much closer to lotro in writing style. All in all, it's one of the best road adventure stories in the medium.
>>
>>1355746
there is "pirated" gog relase of Krondor pack at tpb. It has Betrayal and Return to Krondor for sure, I'm not sure if there isn't Betrayal in Antara in this pack, too.
>>
bump
>>
Giving this a go now, game seems alright so far.
>enemy sets up trap with electric rods
>pull him towards me with a magic spell
>gets zapped and dies by his own trap
>battle doesn't end
>everyone dies trying to find a way out
I should probably take a quick look at the manual.
>>
>>1365606
You took the direct route?
>>
>>1365612
I think so, I don't really know, I'm straying away from the roads and checking stuff around. Green text was a while ago though, I got to LaMut and I'm now in some mine/cave.
>>
>>1365645
You probably entered Mac Mordain Cadal, which is a bit to the south of LaMut.
Did the dwarf tell you about the Brak Nurr or the kobolds?
>>
>>1365606
There's a key you use to activate the grid overlay (can't remember which one).
It shows which squares are in-between the rods.
>>
>>1351526
the onyl good games bioware ever made were kotor
mass effect 1 and 2
and i guess 3 is ok dragon age origins is ok

havnt played jade empire
everything after me3 is shit
>>
>>1351570
doesnt have to be like 10/10 quality
just has to not be globalhomo propaganda shit
or skinnerbox bullshit like diablo wow destiny
modern cod
apex fortnite etc
consume actual entertainment books movies comic books music games
doesnt matter when its made as long as its good
i usually play or watch stuff made before 2013 or so
thats when globalhomo went into overdrive
>>
>>1351526

I think zoomers should play this. Admittedly with a guide.

Despite the lol-tier graphics (which even at the time were considered kinda ugly), the interface is quite functional, with full mouse control and details panel on right click.
>>
File: 65654.png (210 KB, 600x200)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>1368090
>even at the time were considered kinda ugly
I disagree. 3D rendered graphics were impressive back in 1993. Compare the buildings and mountains to Star Fox, which was universally praised for its 3D graphics.
>>
>>1365606
You have to walk someone to the "north" edge of the map on trap encounters
>>
File: ultimaunderworld2_04.gif (178 KB, 640x800)
178 KB
178 KB GIF
>>1368231
Starfox is a consolefag meme, it was meh when it came out.
>>
>>1368231
I agree with this anon, back then it was pretty fukin good graphics, I loved it
>>
>>1368231
While its 3D graphics were quite a leap by technical standards, they were relatively meh from an artistic standpoint, compared to other purely 2D cRPGs of the era. Those 3D buildings are not particularly impressive compared to hand-drawn 2D houses.
>>
>>1351526
does it ave a diary and a map system? i can't play first person rpgs withuot any of those.
>>
>>1368422
Sadly no diary. Need to keep manual notes.
The automap is baked into the game, you can play it from a top-down perspective. But you can't see anything on the road in that mode, so you can miss objects/chests and run into enemies.
>>
One thing which hampered my progression was not training up Owyn's Lockpicking skill in chapters 1-3. I had to use the cheat chest in order to obtain extra picklocks and train him up on the go.
>>
File: 1614175457081.png (82 KB, 233x204)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>1366065
Yes it was that one.
>>1366073
It was 'G', just in case somebody starts playing this too.
>>1368234
Read about that one, didn't know about the grid at the time and thought the rods formed one whole square so I just walked through them by hugging the right side lol

Stupid question, does 'highligting' a skill (when the sword's pommel becomes red) mean you are now focusing on training said skill or de-emphatizing it?
>>
>>1369069
When you click, and it turns red, you've selected the skill for focus. Unfortunately, the way it works is a bit iffy.
For instance, even if a trainer only raises one particular skill, you'll still need to select it in the skill menu if you want the training bonus (+50%). In case a trainer raises two or more skills (ex. Sumani in LaMut), it's best to select a single one of them, else the +50% bonus will be split across all selected skills (ex. 7.5% and 5% for a single selected skill, 6.25% for both selected etc). If none are selected, you will not get any bonus. Same for books.
>>
I remember reading that an early-game quest was completely broken in the latest version.
Something about a house (in Yabon?) and a guy asking about a password, however the house where your party could learn the password was bugged.
>>
>>1351526
that dude with facial hair in the OP image is an ELF? aren't elves supposed to be hairless fairy fags?
>>
>>1372695
It's one of those typically early-90s mismatches between illustration and actual content.
Although Gorath in-game does have a moustache and beard (though not as bushy as the one on the cover).
Moredhel occasionally grow enough facial hair to sport moustaches and beards, unlike other elf races.
In Gorath specific case, some believe he may have human ancestry, due to his particularly thick facial hair.
>>
>>1351526
Based
My older bro played this a lot and it seemed really interesting
Got it from Gog and its rough but good. I keep dying to the necromancer in the first area though, cheap bastard
>>
File: 1608265286167.jpg (113 KB, 576x432)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
In the North the Moredhel
are viscous to a man
Get too close they'll slit your throat
anyway they can
But know at night the Kingdoms safe
with Warden at the pass
But count your piggies by the dawn
the soldiers lose them fast
Count your piggies, one and aaaaaall
The soldiers lose them faaaaast
>>
>>1351526
the story is fine, but controls and graphics did not age well

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.