[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: etrian odyssey nexus.jpg (2 MB, 2005x1872)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Your progress / your current thoughts / etc.
Just a thread to chill.
>>
I just got a Switch and I've been playing Three Houses. Just settled into the monastery.
Thoughts on the Switch:
>It's not really a handheld, it does feel more like a tablet. I imagine the Lite is different in that regard
>the screen is really really nice even if low res
>using a jig to hack it was easy
>the interface is very nice-looking and modern

Thoughts on the game:
>Rhea, Hilda and Claude can get it
>I had only seen the really early musou-looking footage but that's not what combat looks like at all, it's pretty nice looking
>small fonts take advantage of the high screen density
>it's not entirely clear to me if the weapon triangle is a factor here
>generally the mechanics seem different from previous games but I can't put my finger on what
>really going for the Persona audience with this school life simulator
>>
Playing Bloodborne for the first time. It's way easier than I'd heard.
>>
Currently doing a run of FE Fates: Conquest. I'm on chapter 11 Hard/Classic, my avatar is a +MAG -STR Diviner and I'm planning to marry Ophelia.
So far so good. Diviner is playing a lot like a Ninja avatar since my dude is incredibly speed and skill blessed. My plan is to go Onmyoji for Tomefaire then finish as Sorcerer.
>>
File: digitaldevilsaga.jpg (54 KB, 400x400)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Playan digital devil saga undub. The japanese voices are so much fucking better it feels like Texhnolyze or lain or those kinds of anime.
Just got past the part where Jinana dies and it was pretty sad.
The gameplay is also a lot more fun than I expected and I don't really mind the encounter rate that much. I will say though that it would have been better if you got skills through levelling normally instead of having to do the bullshit mantra grind
>>
About 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI on Switch, but after playing VII Remake and Persona 5, I can’t help but feel it’s basic by comparison
Yeah it’s a solid game but it’s not really pulling me into the world
>>
>>1350516
>Phantasy Star on Sega master system
>character is fucking incapable of taking on more than two a battles before getting healed
>the early game monsters are ridiculously overpowered with high hp
>encounter a flying eyeball minster with fucking 2 18 HP sets.
>Run
>monster is blocking escape
>my attk does 1 dmg
>monster’s attk does 3 dmg
So I have no option but die, huh? These old rpgs would be unplayable without emulator save states. I don’t think I’ll continue to this one. This isn’t really fun. I’ll try one of the remakes, maybe the GBA one?
>>
>>1350855
aaaaaand I just lost my ironman because I forgot to take Hinoka's Darting Blow into account and she one-rounded me.
Good run, fuck Fates.
>>
File: 2021-02-19-223038.jpg (181 KB, 960x544)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>1350516
>>
File: 3DS_EverOasis_01.jpg (53 KB, 346x415)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
The combat is bare as all hell but im seriously liking it. Gives me childhood gaming vibes i havent had in a while.
>>
>>1351051
>Namedrops my three of my favorite RPGs in one post
Give XI some time, it really comes together as time goes on IMO. Turn on hard enemies if you haven't already. It isn't unfair like beginners think it is
>>
>>1351080
8-bit RPGs have a shibboleth of sorts where you have to gain 1 or 2 levels from the nearest monsters outside town before going anywhere - sucks a bit but doesn't take too long. The game becomes much easier after that and has some neat exploration.
>>
>>1351748
>>Namedrops my three of my favorite RPGs in one post
>Dragon Quest XI on Switch, but after playing VII Remake and Persona 5
>>
>>1350516
Currently sloughing through Omori which might have been worth the wait but holy fuck this bitch of a game.
Before that I was:
bouncing between Insurgence (Indonesian RPGs, alright but nothing really to tout about)
trying to see if ClaDun would run
trying out Tropicalia (plays exactly like a late GB/SNES RPG, although I hate some elements it actually feels pretty good)

My shitty computer couldn't properly handle Light Fairytale, which is basically Indie Final Fantasy VII DS.
Oddly enough its fine with the TES games and more specifically the SureAI mods Nehrim and Enderal.
Similarly I'm going to try to see if it can run Gedonia and Wild West And Wizards to fulfill "new Bethesda-like RPG" itch. Gedonia would fill the straight fantasy world while WWW is more of lower poly Fallout but Cowboys with wizards.

On the Switch I have
Legrand Legacy: For something I paid $2 its a really good if grungy RPG.
Tales of Vesperia: Somehow I hate the plot here more. Everyone are fucking idiots and I want to strangle them all.
Digimon Cyber Sleuth: ... not gonna lie, I got stuck on just grinding to hatch eggs and unlock all the mons I can as soon as possible (setting aside the special code mons that I've not redeemed yet).
Mario+Rabbids if we include Tactical RPGs. Actually a really good baby's first SRPG/TRPG. I hate the Rabbids' "fusion" designs but I'm enjoying it.

If we include early access games I'm still waiting on we have Secrets of Grindea which is a straight Zelda-like Action Adventure but with heavy character customization shit and a bonus procgen dungeon crawler on the side.
CrossCode which apparently got a full release and is now going to get DLC. Again, SNES Action-Adventure type game but with super heavy customization, fun shit going on, and distressingly heavy grind.
Long Gone Days is a more modern-setting RPG but has a bit of a Metal Gear meets Social Sim vibe going on. Sniper minigames and the combat system feels a little like Medabots.
>>
>>1351748
>three of my favorite RPGs
Please tell me you've only ever played 3 RPGs
>>
File: ruinaend.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1350516
Finished my first Ruina 廃都の物語 playthrough, will go for a second playthrough soon.
>>
>>1351983
Screenshots look pretty nice, are you using an english patch?
>>
File: ruina5.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1080)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>1352006
yeah, a redditor translated it:
https://dinklations.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/ruina-fairy-tale-of-the-forgotten-ruins-english-version/
>>
>>1351725
I liked it at first, but it really becomes into an autistic item grinding game. Really disappointing midway through.
>>
File: 611uOid99FL.jpg (68 KB, 333x500)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
I bought a physical copy of EF and have been playing it on my 3DS. Pretty fun but I feel like enemies oneshot you way too easily.
>>
File: 1613857041931.jpg (53 KB, 720x379)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>PC
Cold Steel 1, Valkyrie Profile, and working on my own RPG Maker game. I know I’m going to miss the Jam, but maybe I can make it to /agdg/‘a Demo Day.
>Switch
Tales of Vesperia and the demo for Triangle Strategy. Latter is ridiculously hard.
>PS3
FFX and Mass Effect 1
>my phone
KOTOR 1 and Chrono Trigger.
R8 my T8ste.
>>
>>1352490
How do you keep track of so many games at once
>>
>>1352531
That’s my secret: I don’t. Seriously, ADHD is a bitch.
>>
>>1352570
There's a relatable post. I'm not, but shit like this makes one wonder if like everything else in my life it was ignored because it didn't cause problems for other people.
>>1352490
Alright tastes but nothing special.
>>
Replaying TWEWY in anticipation for the sequel, also ghost of tsushima if that counts actually really enjoying the game
>>
>>1353582
Based TWEWY chad
>>
I was playing Atelier Rorona on ps3 but I'm gonna be away from my consoles for a long while so now I'm playing Shin Rorona on the vita. Damn did they improve everything, and I get to put rorona-chan in cute costumes too.
My autism tickles though because I wanted to play the series in release order (starting from the ps3 anyways) but Shin Rorona came after Shin Totori/Meruru and probably has improvements from those games, but the original Rorona came first, but what's done is done.
>>
I was playing Nioh 2 but I'm feeling kinda done with it (halfway through Dream of the Wise) and just kinda waiting for Bravely Default II now
>>
>Atelier Firis
I just can't into time management since i have a hard time high HP mobs, still on quest for kirsche's letter of reccomendation and i only have around 218 days before the time limit.
Fuck this shit.
>>
>Baldur's Gate

Good as always. Trying out some quest mods I never did, seem okay so far.
>>
>>1353708
Isn't the time management system more lenient from one of the Dusk trilogy games and onwards? Firis is a Mysterious trilogy game so you probably don't need to push yourself so hard.
>>
bump
>>
>>1350735
>I just got a Switch
OHNONONO
>>
File: kl.png (45 KB, 865x720)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>1351878
I've played many RPGs over many years, and my taste still stands. Sadly, no amount of insults from /v/ can change the way I feel about things. Sorry.
>>
I was playing Digimon Cyber Slueths but it's just so boring that I'm going to drop it halfway in. I was either going to try Phantasy Star for a retro experience or maybe Ryza 2 on the switch next
>>
>>1350516
Currently playing Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Dragon Quest 7, Phantasy Star Infinity, SMT Strange Journey. Thinking about dropping Strange Journey cause it's becoming kind of a slog, the mazes are annoying and the combat feels kinda brain dead.
>>
Debating on picking up Ni No Kuni or Nexomon on Switch. Does Ni No Kuni have ANY differences from the PS3 version? Because I know it had a fuckton of changes from the original JP only DS version.
>>
File: persona.jpg (226 KB, 700x571)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>1350516
Just crossed over into the other world. Pretty good so far. Much easier than I was expecting. Elly is top tier. The only real flaw so far is that the interface is a little clunky.
>>
>>1355833
What about it is boring?
>>
>>1355769
I'm sorry your mom bought you a PS4 instead of a Switch anon, maybe when you turn 16 you can get a job and buy one
>>
>>1356365
Not him but the story felt bland and the combat, while good enough, was so-so. I actually enjoyed the shitty mobile game's combat system more and I played the JP APK without any understanding of Japanese.
Maybe it gets better later but probably not.
>>
>>1356365
Too many humans talking and not enough digimon characters. The dungeons are also short straight lines
>>
File: 20210218_213647.jpg (1.67 MB, 2560x1440)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Started playing SMT4A recently. I really like the skill affinities and being able to pick your partner character is nice. Characters and Doi art dont bother me as much as it seems to bother other people.
>>
>>1356773
I couldn't get into SMT because I hate social stats shit. How is the series?
>>
>>1356820
lol
>>
>>1356820
Social stats are only in Persona, check out something from mainline or another spinoff.
>>
>>1356395
I meant that the Switch "Pro" edition is coming this year.
>>
>>1357024
Is that confirmed? In any case I feel it's likely to be unbackable. I bought a very old model.
>>
>>1350516
finally playing FFIX for the first time. no spoilers please, but is it true that its better than VII? ive heard quite a few people say that.
>>
>>1357963
Depends on who you ask.
>>
>>1357963
It's a good RPG I can say that much, "better than VII" is a rabbit hole that wouldn't like to touch.
>>
I was enjoying it quite a bit at first, but now that I am at least at Stage 2, I'm kinda hoping for a little more? It seems like the game opens up a little more and grants some cooler stuff, but I guess I was hoping for a little more battling by this point.
>>
File: 1608420167890.jpg (29 KB, 489x482)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Bravely Default, just got the Summoner job
It's pretty great so far, having lots of fun
Also Ringabel is the best, these kind of characters are always fun if they hit the right balance
>>
File: file.png (2.54 MB, 1920x1080)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB PNG
Finishing up FFTactics for the first time. It's pretty good overall. Really fun battle system & job system, just kind of wish I could see maps before deploying units and had a reason to use more than 4 units other than Ramza at all throughout the game.

The game throwing basically every named party member at you near the end aside from Agrias and Mustadio seemed really puzzling, too. Like most of them are here too late to be as good as the generics without heavy grinding. I did grind up Balthier to replace my Chemist, though, just cause he's cool.

Also I kept hearing Cid would be really strong, and he is, but I didn't expect making Ramza into a Samurai at the last minute would make him hit for twice as much as Cid would.
>>
>>1355815
>played many RPGs
Fuck, I feel bad for you. I thought only Journos could actually like FF7R, because not a single sane individual could enjoy the amount of padding it has. Every story event is dragged out so much that all the tension built is completely destroyed. Even the gameplay is about as fun as banging your head into a wall.

You are the one who needs to go back to /v/ for having such shit taste. How could such a game be one of your favourites, unless it is the only RPG you have played.
>>
File: download (14).jpg (14 KB, 318x159)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1350516
I'm playing this currently. It's good, but is nowhere near close to Super Metroid. Not an RPG, but I am not mentally handicapped and can therefore play games outside of one genre.
>>
>>1357446
You have assumed the role of the cuckold, my man.
>>
Dragon Quest 8 on 3ds. I just beat the bird boss and and about to go up the mountain to protect the nest. I feel like I'm getting close to the end. I'm liking it quite a bit, but I am a little disappointed in the overworld and find it kind of annoying to traverse (especially in the dark world without my sabre cat). Also can't decide if I'm gonna marry my horse gf or magic gf.
After this I only have DQ3 and the rest of DQ11s to play and I'll have finished the series
>>
>>1350516
10 hours in on scene 24 of Knights in the Nightmare. Not sure how many levels there are, but i figure I gotta be halfway by now.
Game is a masterpiece, woefully underplayed. Can't wait to dive into Yggdra once I'm done.
>>
>>1359394
was a good 100% run the first run.

sadly theres no replay value after that.
>>
File: ff4.png (124 KB, 1024x896)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
been playing FFIV on and off since november I've just arrived at the moon which is pretty exciting but I think I might need to grind for a bit.
it's definitely taking me some time to get through this game but I think it's quite good nonetheless. the story is a bit all over the place but that's fun, too.
btw I'm playing the super famicom version, translated. I was initially going to play the psp version (that one looks gorgeous) but the game didn't run correctly so I decided to go back to the snes/sfc. can't wait to play FFV!
>>
Going through my first run of Wizardry 6. I'm hoping to play through 7 and 8 with the same party, and then maybe revisit 1-3 if I like it enough.
>>
File: bullshit-rng1.jpg (227 KB, 450x600)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>1350516
This game is making me upset
>>
>>1350735
>it's not entirely clear to me if the weapon triangle is a factor here
You get an ability at Rank B that activates the weapon triangle for that weapon (AKA, at Sword rank B you get Axebreaker, Lance gets Swordbreaker and Axe gets Lancebreaker)
>>
>>1363247
Your levels are fine, you can get to the final boss just fine, it's really only the final boss that's a level check since he just out damages you.
>>
File: estpolis-denki.jpg (79 KB, 500x906)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1363389
-3 HP, -2 STR, -1 SKL, +2 MAG, +2 SPE
Not unsalvageable.
I did a playthrough a while back and got an Oscar that got HP and DEF almost every level, capped DEF first as a Cav and then as a pally, it was ridiculous.

>>1350516
Not playing anything at the moment, but kinda want to play either Lufia or Shining in the Darkness
>>
>>1363389
Ike's stats don't matter tooooo much unless you really want to kill the Black Knight. He basically got carried by Ragnell in my playthrough
>>
>>1350516
I'm sorry you picked EOV, if you'd asked I would have said IV or U (classic mode).

I've been playing Ryza 2.Looking forward to Pioneers of Olive Town.
>>
>>1357024
keep hoping for it, faggot. There's no reason for Nintendo to take away the portability of the Switch, and that's a lot of people's favorite thing and reason to buy Switch versions of games, but you go ahead and keep on holding out.
>>
>>1350516
Just finished Persona 5 Royal (again) and now I'm just trying to figure out what I'll play next.
>>
>>1350516
Playing Skyrim for the first time
a lot of this game seems really soulless, like Fallout 3 in a different setting, Bethesda just isn't very good at writing compelling NPCs
But I've decided to throw in my lot with the Stormcloaks and just took Whiterun, and it was kinda fun
This is my first real look at the elder scrolls setting and it's cooler than I thought it would be, I just wish there were better writers behind the characters, I really think it would make a world of difference
>>
>>1352490
>ps3
>mass effect
retard
>>
File: 20210222020309_1.jpg (541 KB, 1920x1080)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>1364927
The game is only playable after modding it to the point that it becomes a completely different game. Also Vigilant is the best quest mod and is 100% canon.
>>
File: 1583196232607.jpg (118 KB, 483x483)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1350516
>EO Nexus
Same, anon. Just got to subclassing, it's been pretty fun so far the only problem is that it's just too damn easy, even though I deliberately made my party crap. I know there's a balance patch but as far as I'm aware it just balances class skills, it does nothing to make enemies more threatening.
>>
File: p5strikers.jpg (294 KB, 600x900)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>1350516
i'm about 5 hours into pic related and really enjoying it. from a musou perspective, it's up there with the gundam ones and hyrule warriors as the best. it's impressive how this game nailed the same sleek, stylish playstyle and presentation as the original, despite being made by different developers in a different subgenre.
>>
>>1350516
Just finished FFTA. I enjoyed the ride and loved the story and it's message. Wish it wasn't so painfully easy, but it's hard to resist overpowering the enemy. early and mid game, archers terrorized the opposition with them disabling the foe's arms and legs, so i could steal their equipment and shank em at the end of it. Late game i somehow got showered with Nosadas so i made most of my melee units into dual-weelding, strikebacking monsters. Only enemy that game me trouble was the last Llednar fight but nothing too serious. The final boss was pathetic, but i would've been in trouble if she decided to use totema as her only turn decision.
Gonna play FFT on the PSP now to satiate my need for a more challenging SRPG
>>
Langrisser I
Persona 5
I plan on playing Langrisser II after I beat the first game.
>>
File: rosa.png (46 KB, 1024x414)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
FFIVfag here, any must have equipment for rosa? or for cecil/rydia/edge?
thank you
>>
>>1351080
You have to grind on the flies first, then move on to the scorpion enemies. Alis(a) has a friend named Suela in her home town who heals her for free, which you should take full advantage of. Oh, and don't forget to go through the dungeon near where you start in order to get 50 Meseta. There's a recent translation that also lets you play with the FM soundtrack and you can increase walking speed, decrease encounters, and increase exp and meseta drops. It makes the game a lot more pleasant. Hopefully this helps.
>>
>>1358023
Game is great IMO
I wish the genre had more...
>>
>>1367244
I remember most of the good stuff being found inside the final dungeon anyway, so don't worry and just explore there.
>>
Currently enjoying this underrated gem after a decade since I played it for the first time.
The tactics mechanics are at their peak of polishment, but the game lacks any real story and the pacing completely destroys any possibility to properly develop the characters, which is a shame because I've come to really like the main trio. Seriously, I'm like 6 (out of 20) story missions away from the ending and the main "villain" has only had one minor appearance in a casual tavern conversation. This shit is so rushed.

Regarding the actual gameplay, my main issue (other how utterly non-sensical stat leveling is) is probably how hard is to avoid overleveling in this game if you want to do all the missions while still enjoying a modicum of challenge.
I'm using a full "non-combat" team to avoid getting exp from the filler missions (item recovery, talk with people in 4 turns, etc), I carry around 12 people (2 teams) for the actual combat, and I do most missions with partial/incomplete teams fo 3-5 units to add extra challenge.
And after all those measures, I'm through a third of the game and I still ended with most of my units 2 levels above the missions' average. Too much fucking exp.
>>
>>1350838
I mean, what did you expect. With how popular the souls series is it's only natural that the game gets exaggerated by the copious amount of shitters that flock to it.
>>
File: mm1.png (5 KB, 640x400)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Playing Might and Magic 1, enjoying it. Party is level 4-5. Mapped out most of Sorpigal and its lower level, Erliquin, and a couple of outdoor regions. Just delivered a scroll to the wizard in Dusk. The first few levels were rough... I was level 3 or so before I could afford to purchase even basic equipment, but things are starting to even out now.

Exploration is strangely satisfying -- and yes, I'm mapping by hand. Every map so far has had a different feel to it, which is a pretty amazing feat given the technical limitations.

Party creation was dull by dungeon-crawler standards. Six classes and six character slots, so unless you want to double up, you might as well take one of each. The minor differences between races is overwhelmed by the wild dice-rolling for stats (rerolling for stats is my least favourite thing about old-school RPGs).
>>
Osteoblasts.
I'm fucking stuck and I ended up not making my own map like I wanted so I'm not even sure how to get to where I should be.
>>
Been thinking of what to play. Played a few wrpg these past few months and i think i want to start another jrpg again. Any idea on something that is pretty light hearted and ADVENTURE ? Something like grandia.
>>
>>1350516
>Your progress / your current thoughts / etc.

on PC, Trails in the Sky FC.
I remember playing the PSP version but I do not remember how far I got (save file is gone). The magic system is weird as fuck, especially going to this acter CS1-3

on PS4, Yakuza 7.
Really interesting take on direction the series but by god, they have no idea how to design a RPG since some fights are beating up sacks and sacks of HP. Not to mention chapter 11 hits you with a big ass difficulty spike since every enemy on the overworld jumps from the 20's to the 40's while my party is only in the low 30s
>>
>>1372082
dragon quest
>>
>>1366638
I am 3 hours into that game and it feels like a clusterfuck. They either need to decrease the amount of shit that spawns or increase the size of the rooms where you can fight things in because I am just mashing shit just to thin the crowds.
>>
>>1350516
I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 but Im too fucking shit to beat Ansem after the Darkside fight and it's dricing me nuts.

And Im also almost done Project X Zone 2. I love dumb crossovers. I might play SRWV next.
>>
>>1372653

Go back to the colosseum and grind out the titans for a bit. Put your favourite playlist/album on and its' a fairly comfy grind.
>>
>>1372082
Some of the Tales games like Symphonia or Abyss.
>>
>>1372900
Thanks but I cant bring myself to grind a game I already beat once. Im really craving nnew games.
>>
File: IMG_20210224_145411.jpg (3.9 MB, 4160x3120)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
>>1357024
why do so many people want a "pro switch" im curious because I cant imagine how it would go well. Its either going to be like the ps4 pro, where the upgrade is to small to really matter, or like the new 3Ds.

People seem to forget that the new 3Ds had better processing power, and got exclusive games that wouldent run on the base 3Ds, like xenoblade. None of them sold well, because nobody wanted to buy an upgraded version of a console they already had for one or two games, and most of the new 3Ds sales came from people getting a 3Ds for the first time.

The only way were getting a new switch that can run more demanding games is when they jump to a whole new console generation, and I dont see that happening any time soon as they would want to take advantage of their massive fucking install base for as long as possible.

also im playing dark souls
>>
>>1377555
>why do so many people want a "pro switch"
Because I don't want to keep playing Switch games that run at sub 30fps.
Already upset that MH Rise is locked to the Switch for a year, might as well make it palatable
>>
>>1352184
what game?
>>
>>1378459
Endless Frontier for the DS.

it's sequel, Endless Frontier EXCEED, has a fan translation
>>
>>1350867
Digital Devil Saga is kino.
>I will say though that it would have been better if you got skills through levelling normally instead of having to do the bullshit mantra grind
The mantra stuff allows you to have tons of differents builds, I think it's a strong point of this game.
>>
File: Vagrant Story.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
10 minutes into the game and I already felt the SOUL

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.