[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

RPGs to raise your vibrational frequency and spiritual awareness

>The soundtrack cannot be overtly oppressive and hostile.
>Needs to be well paced and not overstay it’s welcome.
>Themes of Existentialism and Gnosticism are appreciated.
>The game has in some part had an influence in shaping your worldview or helped you learn more about yourself
>”Comfy”
>>
trails of cold steel
>>
>>1199194
hello underrail my old friend
>>
>>1199194
>Not all the rules need apply.

Those are just some guideposts. Strange Journey is gnostic pulp-fiction—its gameplay and atmosphere is predominately hostile and oppressive. Suffering is one of its core themes and is contextually integrated within its gameplay. It’s hard to not feel as through you had underwent a massive trial after its credits roll. Having outside knowledge of its themes and spiritual deities that are represented will only heighten your appreciation of its subtext.
>>
>>1199194
Deus Ex
VTM: Bloodlines
>>
>>1199194
Crypt Worlds
>>
ar tonelico
>>
>>1199194
Morrowind, I guess.
>>
File: file.png (1.78 MB, 1024x1024)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>1199194
Literally existentialism the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUaNndYgXQ
>>
>>1199194
Terranigma I guess
>>
File: fGF0Woz.png (1.81 MB, 1280x960)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
>>1199194
Chrono Cross for themes of existentialism and identity(examples; A timeline that has continue to exist without you, multiple points where the player's sense of identity is constantly changing based on the perception of the other)
Chrono Cross has a bit of a convoluted main plot but in many ways the logistics of it are almost a distraction from the game's core themes about identity, alienation, evolution and so on. You have to go into with an open mind, and much of it was an intentional point being made by the game's director Masato Kato.
The idealic paradise presented in the game can be described as comfy and the music is otherworldly, along with the general tone of the game being describe as like dream, it's all intentional to contrast with some of the darker notes of the story as well.
>>
>>1199505
Seconding this, it become very apparent when you start to realize all of the machines are named after philosophers
>>
>>1199540
woah... that's so fr*cken deep dude...
>>
>>1199548
I will admit it's a bit on the nose
>>
>>1199558
RPGs aren’t always the most subtle about their symbolism.
>>
File: ultraman-5jpg-550x415.jpg (30 KB, 550x415)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1199563
Maybe that's a good thing sometimes though? You have to really question the entire point of subtle story telling, maybe not everything actually needs to be so hidden to have the same effect. Not that subtly is bad, but being blatant isn't always a bad thing either.
>>
>>1199571
I’m down with either approach, so long as it’s effective.

>>1199524
As much as I admire parts of Chrono Cross, I would sooner talk/think about it and listen to its OST than actually play it.

https://youtu.be/BsLv0G4fkyw
>>
>>1199194
Terranigma has been reported to be pretty succesful with that. Some even being able to see commune directly with spirits after one playthrough.
>>
>>1199597
What about Illusion of Gaia or Soul Blazer?
>>
>>1199606
Soul Blazer yes IoG not really. Wild Arms 1 and 2 are also good and you can play them back to back.

Secret of Mana is really good but has the unfortunate side effect of summoning dead children who were murdered by grooming gangs for me.
>>
>>1199697
I’ve never considered the Wild Arms franchise beyond their surface level elements. I’ll take whatever you’re having.
>>
Xenogears, Elder Scrolls series, Morrowind specifically, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
>>
>>1199194
Unironically all of Kingdom Hearts, or at least the ones in the big collection and 3.

RPGs to raise your vibrational frequency and spiritual awareness

Yoko Shimomura is amazing. Just listen to some of the ethereal stuff, like Destati and the Final World or any end game theme. But then it has the most cheery songs possible in most of the worlds, and some of the modt emotional ones like Dearly Beloved.

Its subjective but, all the games in the collection were fun for me. Some people the say the series went on to long, but I loved 3 for what you're asking about and Ill explain later.

The Final World in 3 is exactly this. You end up in Limbo and watch infant children, mothers and other people die in an ethereal world made of nothing but the sea and sky. Hell from the very beginning Dive into the Heart, and the destruction of Traverse Town, and the end of the world 1 in were very existential. The Nobodies dilemma in 2 and Roxas. Nothing beats the final world for me though. Well Sora disappearing into fictional unreality.

There's a lot of gnosticism people don't even see. The Xblade is the key to the kingdom of heaven. The new villians who appeared at the end of 3 are named after the 7 deadly sins. The heartless can appear as demons. Theyre just not explicit about it as they are in Final Fantasy.

>The game has in some part had an influence in shaping your worldview

I started playing it when I was really sick and it's helped me cope a lot. Ive been in chronic pain for about 4 years now and Im pretty much bedridden and cant do anything. Covid has put me on big wait lists for surgeries. It just gives me hope, you know even if its cheesey its so sincere. Its all about defeating your shadow shelf from the very beginning of 1.

>”Comfy”

Traverse Town, Twilight Town, etc.
>>
>>1199194

If you're looking for an actual recommendation, Hylics is an odd one that fits many of the categories you stated.
>>
>>1199194
Fallout 1
>>
>>1199747
Shit I didnt realize how long that post was.

Just listen to this:
https://youtu.be/c6oF49TDH3s

Also fuckinf Chrono Cross but Im too tired to get into it. Seeing your own grave. The Lynx Serge switch killikg your own body to be reborn in the dragons tear. Sea of Eden, fighting miguel. The end with real schala. It was so good.

https://youtu.be/180sjeAMKPE

Also nier 1
>>
File: 21-PSOGL280-noscale.jpg (76 KB, 640x480)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1199194
Suikoden 2, literally tics all the boxes, maybe outside the Gnosticism themes, the soundtrack is super chill without being showy, pace is pretty ok ( let's be honest here, all RPGs have pacing problems, it just comes with the genre ) and it's the very definition of comfy.

>The game has in some part had an influence in shaping your worldview or helped you learn more about yourself

I'm 36 now and the talk Jowy gives Pilika at the very tail end of the game, about how she will meet and lose a lot of people still resonates with me.

Also, one of the best villains ever.
>>
>>1199747
>>1199764
Good shit, anon. I appreciate your sincerity in the sea of shitposting. And I’m sorry to hear that you’re been held up for so long. Plenty of time for introspection, reading, writing, watching movies, and playing videogames at the very least. And it’s not like it used to be as we’re much more connected to each other and the world at large than ever before. God bless.
>>
>>1199237
>Deus Ex
Let me help you show your work.
>>
>>1199194
https://youtu.be/AGsjA1pXajk
>>
I don't think RPGs are the best genre for this. RPGs are slowly paced, often hostile in many ways, and are rarely laser focused on a theme.

Outer Wilds is the most spiritual game I've ever played FWIW.
>>
>>1199889
God was a dream of good government.
>>
File: latest-4.png (265 B, 48x48)
265 B
265 B PNG
>>1199194
Towelket 1
>>
File: NdxK47D.png (751 KB, 1024x576)
751 KB
751 KB PNG
>the music
>the cloud sea
>that twist when you find out the origin of the world state and what the world tree actually is

Why is Xenoblade 2 so fucking based
>>
>>1199524
>comfy
>random encounters

choose one
>>
>>1201729
>Chrono Cross
>Random encounters
What did he mean by this
>>
>>1199194
Dragon Age 2
>Do I like big tiddies, or do I like small tiddies?
>>
test
>>
File: 1559832411633.jpg (303 KB, 1980x606)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>
File: 1586738434170.png (40 KB, 360x154)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>1199228
I need to go back and debate philosophy with the ferryman again because I feel like all of it went way over my head
Shame I lost my saves, but I've been meaning to replay it again without being a psi-baby
>>
>>1199194
Disco Elysium
check
About 30 hours long, less if you want to make it less
big time
if I were a feelfag I might say something like this
>”Comfy”
like a bottle of vodka
>>
>>1201748
They weren't, huh? All I remember is that they were fucking obnoxious garbage.
>>
>>1199194
Undertale
Space Funeral 4 Deluxe: Blood Red Version & Bubsy
OFF
Yume Nikki
Mother (for famicom)
Dicing Knight
>>
File: main8.png (269 KB, 965x1276)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>1199194
If you're okay with games that fulfill all 5 requirements perfectly but are not RPGs, then the Kirby franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LGbIKPo6g
>>
>>1199194
Wizardry IV
>>
>>1201981
Stop shilling your garbage in this board
>>
>>1202379
Not OP but I regret only playing a few kirby games in my life I missed out on a lot of good lore shit damn.

All I know is Kirby 64 had a frozen earth.
>>
>>1202260
The whole Mother trilogy is pretty good.

Mother 1 is the most underrated though and I second it.
>>
>>1202423
Kirby lore is actually insane, it's like a darker and better version of Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4pjt0pzUI
>>
Terranigma
>>
File: pepeguncry.jpg (8 KB, 228x221)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1199697
>tfw you don't think fairies will ever reveal themselves to you because you played too much secret of mana as a kid
>>
>>1199548
Woah, imagine if there was more to execution than what it looks on the surface and maybe there is actually thematic resonance and structure with an actual meaning!
>>
>>1199224
I agree, though it might not fit the "pacing criteria".
>>
>>1201729
>>1202164
There aren't any, and the combat was fine in that game. Not sure what the hell you're on about.
>>
>>1202639
>on a sunny beach listening to chill tunes and soaking in the ambience
>bump into a wandering beach bum
>battle theme starts playing
>>
>>1202650
>NOOO AHHHH I CAN'T TAKE THE VIOLIN!!
Probably one of the most over blown things about this game, Gale didn't phase me at all.
>>
>>1202260
Space Funeral! I played the original years back. The remake sort of loses some of its charm with the improved graphical fidelity but there’s never a bad time to play Space Funeral.
>>
>>1202432
You’re not wrong. What’s missing now is a Kirby lore sage to make regular lore threads on /v/
>>
>>1202432
This is the kind of autism I come here for.
>>
Endless guilt.
>>
>>1202432
>>1202379
Where does Kirby Epic Yarn fit into the lore?
>>
bump
>>
>>1202800
>improved graphical fidelity

Wasn't the whole point of the original space funeral that the art style of most of the game was imperfect and mismatched?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.