[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unnamed.jpg (43 KB, 512x250)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Is it good?
>>
>>1198639
Hell yeah
>>
>>1198639
Yes. But have a guide next to you on how to unlock the A ending. It's pretty obtuse to get and the B ending is not even an ending so there's no point in depriving yourself of the A ending.
Also play on hard mode, it's actually not that much harder (and is easier in some ways), but it has more content than normal mode.

Also you'll want to give Lenneth a bow for most of the game. You don't get any particularly great swords with the full combo until endgame, and her bow combo hits a bunch which is great for charging special attacks.
>>
>>1198639
it's MAD kino
>>
>>1198639
One of the best RPGs to come out on the original playstation and that's saying something considering the competition.

Play on hard, normal is missing a lot of content. Characters starting at level one is nowhere near as scary as it sounds considering how quickly you can catch up and once you get a Bracelet of Zoe ( 2 ideally), it actually becomes a huge boon, since you get an extra 600 DME per level.
>>
>>1198639
it has quite possibly the best atmosphere of any jrpg ever and i found the platforming and dungeons to be really fun and some of the character episodes are depressing as fuck but i will say that a lot of the game feels aimless and the endings are very cryptic to obtain and the combat is kinda brainless
still a really cool and unique game
>>
>>1198639
Yes but the bad parts are somewhat egregious
>>
>>1198651
Great advice. Having a walkthrough in general is just very helpful for this game. I'd also look up a guide on what artifacts to keep and what to send up. It was interesting replaying the game after getting the B ending, but it's not something worth doing just for the sake of it.
>>
File: Grey.jpg (93 KB, 768x1024)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Why is he so shit bros? Great look, great character, outstanding character voice but his special is such trash, I feel like I'm gimping myself by putting him in the party.
>>
>>1198639
This is my desert island game. Disregard >>1198651 on first playthrough, just do your own thing. Do hard mode afterward for true ending. Do ending C for fun whenever.
>>
>>1199845
>ICICLE DISASTERRRRR
>>
>>1199861
>THUS IS THE LAW OF HEAVEN
Suo > Grey
>>
>VP Hrist never
It hurts
>>1199872
Well they both kinda suck mechanically so...
>>
>>1199874
True, true.
VP Hrist never also true, and also painful.
>>
>>1199880
I will add it didn't help that Silmeria was Kingdom Hearts-tier fanfiction when it could've been a cool anti-hero plot to put her in Brahms' crystal.
Covenant of the Plume may be a side story but I think it nailed the atmosphere just right and is legit way better than Silmeria.
>>
>>1199874
I love Suo, but honesty even Grey is better, both have pretty trash specials, but Grey at least has solid normals and the fact he uses heavy swords means he's somewhat usable in SG, where both archers and samurai sword users get shafted badly.
>>
There are breadcrumbs of what the Hrist game may have been like in the lore from the Star Ocean gacha.

https://www.dualshockers.com/star-ocean-anamnesis-valkyrie-profile/
>>
>>1199914
None of this matters. There is nothing in VP that requires minmaxing to this level, so why do it? Use whoever you like.
>>
>>1198639

It is the best of the golden age of PS1 so yeah. Literally the best of the best. Silmeria is also pretty damn good.
>>
>>1198639
Nah.
>>
>>1198639
as much as i loved this game, i felt like the love interest was kind of a dork
>>
>>1199961
Lenneth is a simple village girl. What do you expect?
>>
>>1199961
You mean you don't want to get romanced by brock?

I didn't even realize until a thread like a month ago that Lenneth was nurse joy. I'm surprised they were able to keep her when everyone else got recast. Though I guess arngrim and Lezard's VA did commit suicide, so that likely affects that.
>>
>>1198639
Valkyrie Profile is fantastic. It only has one true successor in spirit, and that's Covenant of the Plume, which is also fantastic, and criminally underrated for its story alone, which is almost VP's somber cruel setting meets LUCT or FFT political shenanigans.

Silmeria is gutter trash. Hrist is lucky she didn't her own entry after that wholesale embarrassment.
>>
>>1199970
Is it ironic that Maddie voiced both the manliest man with Angrim and the craziest man with Lezard? And then became part of the 41%...
>>
>>1199996
D... did I write this post? Spot on.
>>
File: I WAS THINKING.gif (1.75 MB, 640x448)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB GIF
>>1199845
ICICOL DISASDURRR

>>1199872
OH GEE! HEEYO SO HO JEAN! MY PATH IS STREWN WITH CORPSES!!
>>
>>1200025
What even is that filter, I thought I was looking at another game entirely. Like one of those snk fighting games
>>
>>1199970
>Lezard's VA committed suicide
what the fuck
Lezard was like one of the best characters in the game and his tower was such a fucking shithole jesus what a difficulty spike
>>
>Blaustein died on December 11, 2008 at age 48 in Christ Hospital of Jersey City, New Jersey from an untreated stomach virus that she had been suffering from a couple of weeks prior.[11][19] She is buried at the Congregation B'nai Israel Cemetery.

Viruses don't exist so she was poisoned by free masons.
>>
>>1199897
Silmeria was awful and it's what stopped me from ever preordering another game since. I adored VP and then to be greeted with that trash after being excited for a sequel... ugh, it hurts to think about.
>>
>>1200065
Oh what, I thought she killed herself. I guess thats "better"? Still sucks tho
>>
>>1200058
Those damned exploding wisps and the dragon skeleton warrior things powering up their allies upon death was a heinous combo, if I'm remembering right. And I really liked Lezard's voice acting in the game, it really suited his snide callous deranged intellectual vibe.
>>
>>1199996
Agreed. Covenant of the Plume is criminally underrated. I enjoyed Silmeria enough because I am a tri-Ace autismo, but it certainly doesn’t feel like a VP game.
>>
Is this good on PSP?
>>
>>1200231
Aspect ratio is stretched out and ugly for no good reason in its menus iirc
>>
>>1200231
It's good enough. It loses some of the UI improvements the western PS1 release made and stretches the screen to make it fit without black bars, but neither are things you'll likely notice if you only play the PSP version.
Also the PSP added some CGI cutscenes that replace A:the original 2d animated opening and certain scenes that were done with ingame graphics originally.

I guess I'd say play the PS1 version if you can choose, but the PSP version is perfectly fine if that's the one you have access to.
>>
>>1200058
Hard Chain Reaction is now stuck in my head. Thanks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfcQgf4Eeo
>>
File: REMOVE_BOOMER.png (114 KB, 640x448)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>1200267
Open the gates of Niflheim, more souls await!
>>
>>1200240
PSP version is dirt cheap.
>>
>>1198639
It's not bad, but incredibly overrated. Both combat and exploring are mediocre at best, and story is just terrible, no characters get any development besides a short edgy introduction scene. 4/10, play once and forget it exists. 2 is somehow even worse.
>>
Is there a way to play with the japanese voices? I tried playing the PSX version and the voice acting was fucking awful. I know there's a patch for the PSP version but I heard that it breaks the game
>>
One of the best worldmap themes in the entire genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHL3XV5XYE
>>
>>1200760
Shit contrarian take, neck yourself nigger.
>>
>>1200329
>>1200267
>>1200157
i remember the intro of the game having a shot of Lezard kissing Lenneth and I got so fucking pissed because I thought the intro spoiled part of the game
>>
>>1201027
>contrarian
Guess how I know you’re just a posturing faggot who only likes Valkyrie Profile for 3x3 brownie points?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.