[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 51QP76mXIcL._SX466_.jpg (35 KB, 466x466)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Stop recommending this version of FFV. The translation is pure cringe.
>>
I'm just waiting for someone to make a version of the game where Krile is naked.
>>
>>1191876
is there any example you could provide?
>>
>>1191935
If he could he would've used it as his OP.
>>
>>1191935

I remember it being kind of dry, I guess.
>>
>>1191876
>translation
Don't care it's always pure cringe. Playing in Japanese is the only way for it not to be. So you might as well put up with it.
>>
>>1192022
>kind of dry
The opposite. It's the Ghost Stories of vidya. They "spice it up" with a million unfunny jokes that don't even resemble the original script.
>>
>>1192119
It's pretty funny sometimes.
>>
>>1191876
Why are zoomers so obsessed with "cringe"?
>>
>>1192119
It's not like it was particularly serious to begin with. It's probably the lightest hearted FF in the franchise
>>
So wrong, the GBA version is amazing. Such a great system to play the game on. Love the GBA Advance.

The translation is like who cares? - like others pointed out the story is light hearted and the new translation is professional and undoubtedly better written. Most fan translations I play I think the writing is garbage, stilted, with terrible characterization. But they do have that enjoyable idiosyncrasy sometimes.

Also has the best version of FF6, but the audio is a little compromised =/ but there's a patch.
>>
>>1191876
Do you actually think that the ps "y burn" translation is better?
>>
>>1191876
t.foul-mouthed addlepated scofflaw
>>
>translations
Cr**ge by default.
>>
>>1192384
Obviously not, but there are more choices than that. The RPGe fan translation is better.
>>
>>1192418
>Crange
Almost rhymes with orange!
>>
>>1191876
Which one then...?
>>
>>1192437
Let's be honest here, it's not. The RPGe needs a lot of fixing.
>>
>>1192119
>hating ghost stories
That show is boring without dubs.
>>
>>1191935
in the guido vs exdeath fight they quote teenage mutant ninja turtles
>>
>>1193036
RPGe is definitely better.
It has some faults, like Mug would be better than Capture, but its problems are pretty minor.
>>
>>1193202
That shit is awesome, FF5 already has a goofy villain (the splinter scheme), so that stuff does not bother me.
>>
>>1193208
>That shit is awesome
If you're 12 maybe.
Exdeath might as well end every encounter saying "Dabs on you!" and it would be on the same level.
>>
File: 1602674252483.jpg (198 KB, 1819x2048)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>1191920
fpbp, but pic related
>>
>>1193213
>a tree dabs on you
That’s hilarious anon give me more.
>>
>>1193230
I'll see if I can release my meme translation in a couple of years.
I also plan to rename all the jobs just to add further confusion when people talk about the jobs.
I'm gonna call Mediator/Trainer/Beastmaster "Shepherd".
>>
>>1193208
t. Retarded American who knows nothing about Japanese games
>>
>>1193270
Main character’s name is Butz, you expect me to take the game seriously?
>>
>>1193283
Bartz.
>>
>>1193204
Oh I misread the chain, I thought you said that RPGe was better than GBA. Yeah RPGe is definitely better than the garbage in PS.
Well, the problem is that RPGe is a translation, not a bugfix or anything, so I won't really count word and grammatical errors in translations as "minor," but it's all we have so yeah.
>>
>>1193313
>I thought you said that RPGe was better than GBA
It is.
>>
>>1193327
I prefer the gba over the rpge, the latter's all over the place sometimes.
>>
>>1192119
Wtf, I thought Advanced was the definitive version?
>>
>>1193289
Only in the American translation you eop
>>
>>1193357
>the latter's all over the place sometimes.
What do you mean?
>>
>>1193402
It needs a bit of proofreading to fix some mistakes one of the most glaring is this one.
>>
>>1193493
What's the issue?
>>
File: hiryuu error world 2.png (17 KB, 256x224)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>1193497
Hiryu is the name of Tycoon's drake, not of the entire race of drakes. This persists from world 1 to merged world.
>>
File: Hiryuu.jpg (847 KB, 2908x1288)
847 KB
847 KB JPG
>>1193512
>Hiryu is the name of Tycoon's drake, not of the entire race of drakes
An invention of the gba, or rather a mistranslation of the gba.
It's all 飛竜.
>>
>>1193493
>>1193512
Fair, but can you really blame the localization team? They were literally trying to make sense of moon runes, more commonly known as gookspeak or gobblydeGOOK.
>>
File: Gabbldegak-ffv.gif (2 KB, 64x82)
2 KB
2 KB GIF
>>1193624
>gobblydeGOOK
>>
>>1193622
Hiryu is literally flying dragon in English and in Final Fantasy 5 there's a difference between calling an entire race of drakes "Hiryu" in Japanese and Lenna calling their family's own drake with its name as Hiryu.
>>
>>1193624
I don't really blame them, among the fan translations I've played, RPGe is one of the better ones. They did a good job for basically the first fan translation ever done.
I'm just a bit too sensitive to mistakes such as that which is a bit important since it is plot related.
There are actually a few more which the addendum patch for RPGe did not fix.
>>
>>1193670
>I'm just a bit too sensitive to mistakes such as that which is a bit important since it is plot related.
It's not a mistake though.
>>
>>1193683
It is a localization mistake. Not being able to convey the difference between a common noun and a proper noun is a mistake.
>>
it's not the translators' fault that tycoon named his dog "dog"
>>
>>1193709
Yes but if that happens what do you do? Whenever you talk about your pet named "Dog" and its race being called "dog"?
Use alternatives, call the race "canine" and the pet itself as "Dog".
And in this case Hiryu can be translated into wind drakes/flying dragon so use that whenever you refer to the race and then call the Tycoon's wind drake as Hiryu, to avoid confusion and still keep it right.
Or if you really don't want that kind of compromise then capitalize whenever you refer to the Tycoon's drake and lower case for the race.
I'm just pointing out a localization mistake which can be improved.
>>
>>1193738
>Yes but if that happens what do you do? Whenever you talk about your pet named "Dog" and its race being called "dog"?
Maybe the japs should've named them differently.
They didn't, so we don't.
>>
>>1193753
>Maybe the japs should've named them differently.
>They didn't, so we don't.
That's a mistake in translating. A name should be retained in all translations but a word that can be translated into another language should be.
You wouldn't translate Naruto, as in the ninja, to fishcake in dialogues would you? But naruto can be translated into fishcake if you actually refer to the literal fishcake.
>>
>>1193387
I know, it was a bait and you took it.
>>
I have no idea what version of the game I played but Lenna and Krile were named Reina and Cara, and I had no idea that was incorrect until years later
>>
>>1193800
Buttz-head lmao.
>>
>>1193800
>i was merely pretending
>>
>>1191876
Iirc its not reaally the advance scripts fault, its just not a great game, it just is what it is. Rick and morty type humour and a super overrrated job system from people who never played 11. Its a good gameboy game in the car when you mom still drives you and thats it. Dont waste a minute playing this shit on your own time.
>>
>>1193830
I always preferred Cara. "Krile" doesn't sound like a sexy loli, it sounds like a fish.
>>
>>1193907
>sexy loli
you are worse than trannies
>>
>>1193963
>says the normalfaggot
>>
>>1193830
Likely Anthology for PS1; that's the one I first played and Lenna was given the objectively-superior name "Reina" there.

Didn't get far enough to see Krile because the game is overrated jank (did eventually beat the GBA version though; still overrated trash), but it likely was Cara.
>>
Carara>Cara>Kururu>Krile
>>
>tfw always liked the name Krile most
>>
>>1193895
>super overrrated job system
Hello, tourist.
>>
>>1193978
>game is overrated jank
And which games are not in (you)'re opinion?
>>
>>1191876
Blue mage was at least fun
>>
>>1194083
bait, but I'll bite since you were kind enough to give me a (you)

Starting from the bottom of the list for simplicity's sake, FF1 is good for what it did for the genre, but is objectively pretty ass, even (and in some cases, especially) the remakes. Definitely not overrated.

FF2 is a case of being criminally underrated. I liked the unique leveling system but can't say it did anything else very well. Characters and story were shit. I don't remember anything about it and I beat it, so yeah. Definitely not overrated.

FF3 is garbage. Also, overrated.

FF4 is fine. Not overrated.

FF5 is trash, as we discussed. Overrated for no justifiable reason.

FF6, FF7, FF8 and FF10 are fucking masterpieces. Normies may overrate them but they deserve every accolade. FF9 is a case of being overrated trash that is still decent enough to be considered good. I used to like it a lot as a kid, now I just tolerate it. Does too many fucking stupid things. Also, fuck furries.

TL;DR: 6, 7, 8 (especially 8) and 10 are the best. Tactics is also kino. Final Fantasy ends at 10, though, remember that. Everything after is autistic weebcuckery and not Final Fantasy at all.
>>
>>1194276
This is some tryhard snowflake taste if I ever saw some.
>>
>>1194276
NPC taste right here
>>
>>1194276
>Normies
Found the normalfag.
>>
>8
>good
That game is a hot mess.
>>
>>1194276
How is 8 good...
>>
>>1194276
>especially 8
bait
>>
>>1194276
>(especially 8)
ah there we go
>>
>>1193830
Krile is such an ugly name
>>
8 being good is what strikes out you but not 2 being underrated? 8 was a million times better than 2.
>>
>>1194276
Oh it's that anon.
Funny how you can learn to recognize someone by what they post on a smaller board like this.
>>
I loved 8 but thought 10 was terrible. Seriously I've been meaning to complete it for 20 years but everytime I pick it back up I last an hour til I say "fuck this" and forget about it for another year.
>>
GBA versions are always the worst.
>>
>>1195308
you're mom likes it. tell her to wear that outfit i like before my arrival tonight. you know the one: nothing

>>1194324
>>1194343
>>1194347
>>1194352
discarded
>>
>>1195369
patches make them better but if we're talking purely vanila then it's hard to recommend them because of their farty soundtracks
>>
File: 1581983060685.png (2.69 MB, 1141x1041)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB PNG
>>1193208
>hiding inside a loli's foot
>silly
>>
>>1195400
Including fan stuff only makes the GBA look worse compared to others.
>>
File: nice.jpg (361 KB, 1280x720)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>>1194276
Outstanding bait, anon. (You)'s on me.
>>
SNES version of VI has a variety of cool patches that make the gba version pretty much obsolete now
it did have a better translation though. fuck memes
>>
>>1191935
They threw in Simpsons references which I remember annoyed people at the time.
>>
>>1195450
Kingdom Hearts is some of the dumbest shit ever made even by Square standards, holy fuck.
>>
>>1193995
>tourist
Lad ive been posting here since before you were a cummy in my nutsack.
Ff5 is mostly shit but for a lot of normies it was their first entry on the gba so it gets overhyped. Same with 1,6, and 7
>>
File: 1584179983857.jpg (73 KB, 431x582)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>1195849
>it's bad because... people like it
>>
>>1195450
That reminds me, what the fuck happened to the X-Blade? Sora had it when he killed himself...Fuck, that keyblade would have helped a lot in the Yozora fight.
>>
>>1195859
Refer to my previous post you tard who had nothing to say to it as far as an argument went other than to call me a tourist.
>>
>>1194276
retard
>>
>>1193963
Pedos are trannies.

>>1193969
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1509752764230.jpg (18 KB, 282x193)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1197078
>i bet if i say pedos, trannies and /v/ in every post i make, people won't know i'm a stray schizoid
>>
>>1191876
Isn't it the only translation available that's accurate? Just get the GBA Script Port for SNES, the new dungeons are ass anyway.
>>
File: team ff5.png (160 KB, 557x486)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
Is my team good enough to enter the Cleft of Dimension?
>>
>>1197428
>he doesn't name the main character after himself
Bro why even front like you're a RPG fan if you don't do that
>>
>>1197441
It's my first time playing ff5 and I never really did that kind of thing. I just go with the default names most of the time.
>>
>>1194276
>FF2 is criminally underrated
stopped reading righ there
>>
File: ff5ouch.png (304 KB, 557x503)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
>>1197428
Wow, I guess I'm not yet ready, is this a boss? It has an overworld sprite yet the music is for a normal battle.
>>
>>1197732
optional boss. recurring throughout the series.
>>
>>1197752
I can skip it for now? I can't even cast a mystic's swordspell, it said ineffective. All right.
>>
>>1197755
Yeah you can skip it. There are ways to beat it at low levels but it doesn't give any good rewards, just an item that proves you beat it. Spellsword is actually the best way to kill the thing as long as you have the correct element
>>
>>1197780
thanks anon, I'll try it again when I get stronger.
>>
>>1197785
No problem. Just so you know for the future, when you get to a weird "crystal" or space-like environment you will no longer get experience from battles. You will get more abp, including an encounter that will give you 199 abp if you are able to beat it. It is a really good place to grind out jobs which may be more important than experience levels. Just something I didn't realize til my third or fourth playthrough
>>
>>1197428
What are your subcommands on all of them?

>>1197732
What >>1197752 said, optional superboss.
The other superboss at least gives you a reward for winning, Warmech is purely for bragging rights.
>>
>>1197829
>What are your subcommands on all of them?
Butz has Equip Swords since I want the Brave Sword on him.
Lenna has White, I'm training her for x-magic.
Krile has Summon.
Faris has Blue.
You get nothing after beating Omega? But he's so hard wtf.
>>1197823
>No problem. Just so you know for the future, when you get to a weird "crystal" or space-like environment you will no longer get experience from battles. You will get more abp, including an encounter that will give you 199 abp if you are able to beat it. It is a really good place to grind out jobs which may be more important than experience levels. Just something I didn't realize til my third or fourth playthrough
Oh that's neat, thank you I'll keep a note of that.
>>
File: 1580154296915.jpg (134 KB, 512x514)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
The J2e translation sucks fucking dick compared to the GBA translation, 5 is a very campy game and the old fan-translation tones some of it down. Butz.
>>
>>1197856
>Brave Blade
If you haven't been running from fights then you can skip the other superboss too.
His reward is worse than the Brave Blade as long as you've kept your escapes below ten or so.
Did you get Golem for Krile?
Probably the best summon in the game.
>>
>>1198085
>If you haven't been running from fights then you can skip the other superboss too.
>His reward is worse than the Brave Blade as long as you've kept your escapes below ten or so.
I haven't run from any fight, so well..
>Did you get Golem for Krile?
Yeah I do. I think I have all the summons, last one I got was Leviathan from Istory Falls.
>best summon in the game
Yeah, preventing physical attacks is a godsend in some fights since it's such a hassle to set up Safe too.
>>
>>1198209
If you're using her Summoner side for offense, make sure to give her an air knife/dagger/lance/whatever the fuck they named it in your version.
It boosts the Syldra summon to near Bahamut levels of damage for half the cost.
Very few enemies resist air element too.
Also the wonder wand is obscenely handy for unfucking some bad RNG or bad choices, keep it handy.
>>
>>1198339
>If you're using her Summoner side for offense, make sure to give her an air knife/dagger/lance/whatever the fuck they named it in your version.
>It boosts the Syldra summon to near Bahamut levels of damage for half the cost.
>Very few enemies resist air element too.
Air Lance and wait, it does that? That's not in the description of the item at all. I'm using the RPGe translation with an addendum patch.
>Also the wonder wand is obscenely handy for unfucking some bad RNG or bad choices, keep it handy.
Wonder wand? I tried using it, it set damage to 0 and attacking with it uses a random spell. How does it affect RNG?
>>
>>1198411
>That's not in the description of the item at all
Item descriptions are poor in FF5.
I think they started getting good in FF6 when it came to listing more modifiers.

It's why you had that NPC in Istory tell you about all the effects of the coral ring, flame ring and angel ring, since it didn't fit into their item UI.
>>
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/30040

You can use this to get the full list of modifiers
ctrl+f: Air Lancet
>MAGIC ELEMENT UP: Air
>>
>>1198491
Oh that's right. Makes sense since usually "magic sword: ok" takes up the space for usual modifiers.
>>1198497
I wanna try to play as blind as possible. But thanks. That'd be helpful.
>>
>>1198533
ff5 gets crazy with elemental or racial strengths and weaknesses. You can turnaround impossible fights by abusing the system. Annoyingly it is important to ignore the positive numbers on the equipment screen most of the time. You will definitely be able to beat the game including superbosses by leveling and using the best equipment you can find, but in future playthoughs you can break the game and make it so superbosses can't touch you, and you can do max damage at really low levels. I think ff4 has some of the same features as far as elemental equipment being better than the best weapons of the game
>>
>>1198533
>I wanna try to play as blind as possible
That's fair.
Definitely avoid scrolling through that faq leisurely, since it has all the boss information.
Maybe ctrl+f other items you're curious about though to see their full effects.
>>
>>1198411
>I tried using it, it set damage to 0 and attacking with it uses a random spell. How does it affect RNG?
Every time you attack with it in combat, it casts a spell in this order
>Cure, Poisona, Silence, Protect, Mini, Cura, Raise, Confuse, Blink, Shell, Esuna, Curaga, Reflect, Berserk, Arise, Holy, Dispel, Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Poison, Sleep, Toad, Fira, Blizzara, Thundara, Drain, Break, Bio, Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Flare, Death, and finally, Osmose.
before looping back around.
If you go into your inventory in a battle and push up, then select the wonder wand in your hands twice to use it as an item, it will cast reset and start the battle over if shit goes awry.
You can equip it from your inventory mid-battle to do this as well.
It's not as useful since you have a time mage already, but it does give any of your other characters who can equip rods access to it if you need to reset because say, your time mage and all your other characters are dead.
>>
>>1191876
its literally the best port you memeing shitposting turd
>>
>>1198647
That's really nice and makes "lower" tier items viable in the late game.
>>1198671
Thanks anon.
>>1200149
Oh I didn't notice that it actually had an order to it.
>If you go into your inventory in a battle and push up, then select the wonder wand in your hands twice to use it as an item, it will cast reset and start the battle over if shit goes awry.
Wait really? The wonder wand had no description at all. I thought it was some gimmicky item. Thanks.
>>
>>1200591
There's a good number of equippable items that will do things when used in a fight.
Like the Defender sword will cast protect, and the elemental rods from early in the game will cast fuckin' -aga spells and then break.
And that's not even counting all the passive effects weapons can give.
The lack of detailed item descriptions is probably the biggest flaw in the entire game, because one of my favorite aspects about older Final Fantasys is keeping an armory's worth of different weapons around to shuffle between as the situation demands.
If you want an example, http://www.sullla.com/FF/bare.html is a written run of the game abusing the Bare job's ability to equip literally anything to overcome its mediocre stats and lack of special abilities otherwise.
>>
>>1200674
>, http://www.sullla.com/FF/bare.html
That's nice.
Yeah the lack of description is a weak point. I didn't even know half of what you've said outside the elemental staves.
>>
File: ok.png (369 KB, 557x501)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
Uuh what? Is this the other superboss? I thought it was going to be Gilgamesh. This dragon just wiped me. I haven't saved since I beat Halikarnassos. I'm fucked.
>>
>>1201150
Yes. Shinryu fucks everyone with his surprise chest.
If you beat him you can loot the chest for the sword that's only slightly weaker than a pure Brave Blade.
Mostly comes down to equipping yourself with the right things to nullify all of the elements he uses.
There's another (non super)boss called Necrophobe you'll have to beat to unlock the last save point that is just past Shinryu's fuck you box, or else you'll have to retry the final boss from where you beat up Azulmagia/Apocalypse.
FFV has a lot of bosses come to think of it.
>>
>>1191876
Not like the other translations are much better. The enemies names are fucking non-sense though I do kinda miss the pirate accent for Faris.
>>
>>1201387
Ok I'm back I retried from even before Halikarnassos. That was bad. Yeah I just got that Save point from Necro. Looks like this is the ending now. I only have 3 bosses to kill.
>>
>>1191876
Seething humorlet autist
>>
>>1191935
No. FFV has an amazing localization full of charm. The other translations are both overly literal and inaccurate.
>>
File: 1-001.png (7 KB, 480x446)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
Ah, yes, please play the other localizations instead, where you can face the almighty Dinglberry!
>>
>>1201537
No one is suggesting the psx version.
>>
>>1201614
Fan TL is even worse. Contrarians are braindead and don't even know what they're mad about. Do you even know what a localization entails?
>>
>>1201616
>Fan TL is even worse.
You think Tonberi is worse then Dinglberry?
alright.
>>
>>1201619
General readability and accuracy, yes.
>>
>>1201387
Necrophobe isn’t bad because it is mostly scripted. The biggest thing to remember is to steal.
>>
>>1201387
The chicken knife ends up stronger than the brave blade anyway despite lower stats at max, because knives benefit from agility and strength so the calculation favors it.
>>
File: BraveVersusChicken.png (53 KB, 594x1201)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>1201630
Yeah.
Made a short comparison at various levels.

Brave Blade is basically only the better choice if you're doing fourjobfiesta, you have a knight(or bare), and you don't have an ability to negate the 25% flee chance from attacking normally.
Even at level 2 Brave Blade starts being worse with these stats.

All agi becomes broken if Their calculations would work properly, which is probably why it was never 'fixed' in other versions and was probably just a last edit 'fix' to balance them.
Would've been cool if agility did work with a lot of them.
I've considered trying one of the alternate agility formula fixes.
>If Agility > Strength, M = (Strength*Level)/256 + (Agility*Level)/128 + 2
>Otherwise, M = (Strength*Level)/128 + (Agility*Level)/256 + 2
instead of the
>M = (Level*Strength)/128 + (Level*Agility)/128 + 2
that chicken knife uses and other agi weapons like bows, knifes, whips should use.
>>
>>1192119
Ghost Stories is a bad example. The original anime was boring trash that nobody likes (including you, you’re clearly trying to get some (You)s). Meanwhile FFV is actually a good game.
>>
>>1197428
A little overlevelled, but you should be ok
>>
File: BraveVersusChicken.png (60 KB, 767x1201)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>1201679
ops, forgot the +stats from the actual weapons
I suppose offhand could further influence this.

Brave Blade is kinda interesting in that it can at least be double gripped.
>>
I always assumed Masamune and Defender broke like rods when used as items so I always ignored that part of them
>>
>>1202193
You poor bastard
>>
>>1198491
>I think they started getting good in FF6 when it came to listing more modifiers.
XII is probably the biggest bitch of hidden modifiers since there is no descriptions and even if you learn what they are they are all different in TZA.
>>
>>1191876
the fan translation is also awful though and doesn't have the extra classes or postgame dungeon
>>
>>1198411
certain weapons boost elemental magic when equipped like air knife increasing wind magic and fire/ice/thunder rod increasing fire/ice/thunder magic

the sealed rod iirc increases every element
>>
>>1204125
>and doesn't have the extra classes or postgame dungeon
game is honestly better without them

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.