[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Everquest Woodelf Bard.png (1.49 MB, 1269x704)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
Hail an [Everquest] thread draws near!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwV1j1L9Kgg
>>
>want to play a wizard
>don't want to be a burden in every group I join
It's a terrible feeling.
>>
File: Eruds Crossing.png (511 KB, 1268x705)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
>>1174766
>burden

are you drunk on eleven wine m8,wizards are the king of absolutely destroying enemy's mobs health like butter
>>
>>1174766
Majik taxi
>>
File: eq_races.png (1.94 MB, 978x755)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>1173810
Aren't they still making expansions for that? Pretty crazy, but I guess after canceling EQ:Next, there's not a whole lot else to do at Daybreak.
>>
>>1175788
that's not wizards,it's druids & if I remember shamans could get people around by turning into a wolf? it's been a few years since I played live or p99
>>
>>1177029
Yeah druids too. But release eq wizards were kinda garbage so were mostly useful as taxi.
>>
>>1175213
>worse in every way to an enchanter
>>
>>1173810
This game had some great fapbait, which was great if you were needing a distraction while waiting for a boat.
>>
>>1173810
Asheron's Call was superior to this nigger-tier cancer in every way, yet this bullshit gets to survive (albeit not for much longer, but still).

I hope the great reset gets rid of all you fucking NPCs with shit opinions and tastes.
>>
>>1177850
Thanks for the bump (you)
>>
>>1174766
Roll a druid.
Still not first pick. Have to heal a lot of the time.
But can nuke surprisingly well (when the group needs that, which is more than they need the wizard).
No seriously was blown away.
>>
>>1178278
Are Bards actually fun always avoided them on live when a buddy said they gave em hand cramps from pushing too many keys?

Are they as fun as a magician were?
>>
>>1178392
Bards are sick nasty for real dawg. Run so fast, press buttons all day and nobody really knows what you do so they just watch you erupt in particle effects and assume you're helping.
>>
>>1178392
As far as tying gameplay to flavor goes, EQ Bards were next level. You literally played your spell hotbar like it was a musical instrument keeping several short-lived effects going as long as possible.

Or you turned your usual rotations into hotkeys that did it for you iunno
>>
>>1178392
I dropped my druid for bard and it's a blast but only mid 20s so far. Most fun I've had since 60 ench on live.

The assualt on your wrists is real though. If you've got a mouse that's more than two clicks and a wheel bind some songs to it's buttons so you can twist with your thumb. World of difference.
>>
File: Permafrost Keep.png (971 KB, 1267x705)
971 KB
971 KB PNG
>>1178983
Meh at least rogue's get a free critical hit button that generate's ton's of hate

>most armor barely cover's your character's breast on full display & dark elf's cave their cheeks showing all the time
>>
bumping with slimes!
>>
p99 green released and I missed getting anything like a guise.
lost all interest
>>
File: Kerre Isle 1-2-2021.png (57 KB, 528x266)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1180456
so just get a dark elf going m8 or given when the next XP pack releases go dive headfirst into gaining all that phat loot you want before it lands
>>
>>1180456
I mean, I had a ton of fun playing on green but holy shit could I not stand camping for 20+ hours on a list for jboots or guise.
>>
>>1178392
On a pvp server they had the greatest griefibg potential
>>
>>1180810
>”classic Everquest” green server
>lists

lists are insanely un-classic
>>
>>1181328
There's all kinds of faggotry on p99 but it's pretty much the only thing out there unless you want to play on the official progression servers which sound like absolute garbage.
>>
>>1181361
You misunderstood. I raid on blue and have played a little on green. Project 1999 is wonderful but I just hate “lists” and refused to bother with them.
>>
File: West Karana.png (825 KB, 1267x537)
825 KB
825 KB PNG
if anyone wants to party tonight & slay gnolls throughout the night come to blackburrow & look for the only wood elf with a mace flailing around
>>
Half elves are ugly.
>>
>running laps around Qeynos Hills killing wisps and any rabid animals
>gain a level and a half and decide to take a break
>check the clock and apparently I'd been grinding like an autist for 3 hours
o-oh.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (224 KB, 405x429)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>1182797
You should take a real good look at troll m8
>>
>>1183567
I love how fucking w i d e you can be in this game. Devs have absolutely no respect for girth these days.
>>
>>1182797
>not making a halfing thief
>>
>>1184459
Joke's on you, I made a halfling cleric. And then dropped it to play a shaman instead.
>>
>>1184509
Holy shit, is the 4chan guild still up and running?
>>
File: Clipboard03.png (15 KB, 406x96)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1184512
y-yeah...
>>
>>1184531
Haha...yeah... good times bro.
>>
Shiiiiiiiet why none yall niggas tell me Kunark was out?
>>
File: hood rich shaman.png (53 KB, 415x193)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
Remember to keep all of your weapon skills up to date so you don't end up like me.
>>
>>1184531
>fallen leaves

I still have my warrior on but nobody else pop's up when I type who all guild,does this mean I have complete access to the guild bank always wanted to see what it looked like in classic
>>
>>1184872
>level rogue to 50
>literally never use anything except piercing
I may regret this one day.
>>
>>1186209
1H Bashing is there for a reason anon,& cold steel mace's help a ton as well
>>
do the skeletons in everfrost peaks not drop crystallized marrow spent around three solid hours running back & forth and nothing dropped
>>
>>1173810
Holy shit I remember playing P99 through curiosity, once went through a secret tunnel in freeport and got buttfucked by this lvl60 npc because of my deity choice lmao

Great times though, wish more MMOs were as ambitious as this and had loss of xp to make you actually fear for your life
>>
>combat binding got nerfed on p99
Sucks dude.
>>
File: 1-2-2021 12 25 AM.png (35 KB, 497x163)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1188234
>not having a buddy make a bard & duoing for that sweet HP regen

come on anon bring your friends along for the ride,after five full months of hunting down the right items for the kerrans I've finally found pic/related from their tiny island
>>
>>1188302
>duoing with a bard
but muh xp penalty!
>>
other games with midi kino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kj54VyS5BI
>>
>>1188374
I hated doing the racing levels, this music puts me on edge
>>
>>1173810
Are MMO's dead bros? Will we be cursed with theme parks forever or is there anything coming out soon that gets back to what MMO's are supposed to be about?
>>
>>1188490
Our only hope died with Brady ;_;
>>
>>1188490
>>1189024
The old internet is all gone, in fact you wouldn’t tolerate typical internet users circa 2001 today.
>>
>>1178278
Wizards are actually far superior to druids, can port to ALL raids, and actually useful on raids. Druids do nothing in raids except leech dkp and occasionally sow and patch heal. They are completely shit.
>>
>>1173810
I tried the free trial and my god this game is shit. Not the visuals or sound they are fine but the core game. boring combat with no tooltips at all. clunky controls and shit UI. tedious class system and boring uninspired designed maps.
>>
>>1189858
>raids
I forgot Everquest was the cancer that ruined all MMORPGs with this endgame shit.
Fuck this game and fuck all you raiders.
>>
>>1189878
Filtered.
>>
>>1173810
> Recently installed EQ again.
> My 21 year old level 28 Halfling Druid has been transferred from dead server E'Ci, but is still there
>Remember I was in the middle of the Testament of Vanear quest, look up a guide and finish it
Anons. This feels so nice. If anyone told me back when I was 14 that I would only finish the Vanear quest at 35, I wouldn't have believed it.
What have I missed? I don't think I want to further level my druid, but leave him as a relic of the past. Which class is fun to level these days?
>>
>>1190313
Also, I've been getting a lot of drops of some ridiculously strong gear, most of it blue dyed iirc. It's absolutely destroying the simple leather gear my druid was wearing. Does strong gear just drop all the time now?
>>
>>1189887
Lol, plane of sky is probably the most interesting and exciting zone in the whole game. I take it your imagining wow raiding, huh? EQ raiding is a completely different ballgame...
>>
>>1190313
When frogloks got released I liked being a froglok cleric, you might like that too. I think everyone starts out at a boring centralized starting city now, though, so maybe it won't be like I remember it being.
>>
>>1188490
Ashes of Creation looks really interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY
>>
>>1189858
What about pally's always wanted to make a dwarf one?
>>
>>1191979
Paladins are awesome and everyone always needs tanks.
>>
File: mountains.png (745 KB, 1271x703)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
>>1177850
you see these pointy things at the very top of the mountains,you can climb them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDndGSJeH1E
>>
P99 always seems like it'll be a magical adventure in a retro and unforgiving fantasy world but then I'm standing outside freeport farming orc belts for 2 hours in absolutely no danger of dying and I've gained maybe 1 bar of exp. Maybe the end-game is more fun but that takes the absurdity of the "it doesn't get good until 10 hours in" rpg trope to new levels.
>>
>>1192613
>solo

there's yer problem anon,in order to gain ANY amount of traction with regards to lvls & XP you need a group

now there are a few fair quest that could help out some such as gnoll fangs in qeynos but their so far & in-between it's they mostly come from killing things
>>
>>1192613
Dude, why play an mmo if you just want to solo?
>>
>>1192665
>>1192683
During my belt farming tenure I was in fact in a group. I met a Swedish man who wanted to talk about the weather and American football. And that had a charm, but I guess I was expecting less repetition. Or at least more failure points.
>>
>>1192705
The difficulty and danger ramp up exponentially the further away you venture from the starter areas. Grinding newbie quests and camps in East Commons isn't much of an adventure compared to sightseeing in the Plains of Karana or making your first trek to Highhold for some gobbo killing in the basement. Everquest was all about that "quest" part, but the quests weren't usually literal objectives given to you by NPCs. Go explore, make some friends to kill shit with and just enjoy the journey. What class/race are you playing?
>>
>>1192738
I was playing a human bard. The 40% EXP penalty was pretty killer but every other class is just so slow.
>>
>>1192705
Try talking a walk in Kithicor Woods at night
>>
>>1192705
>I was expecting less repetition. Or at least more failure points

You're ultra close to Befallen if you want less of the first and more of the second.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (376 KB, 827x553)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>1192807
>those laughs

sent chills down my spine everytime
>>
>>1194013
I played EQ for like five years way back in the day and never turned the sound on. I was genuinely shocked by all the ridiculous sound effects and awesome music when I played on Green's release.
>>
>get overconfident in Befallen and die with your ESL dwarf duo
>manage to accidentally train some dark elf in the process
>the three of us spend the next 30 minutes awkwardly huddled together waiting for someone to unlock the first door so we can grab our corpses
Befallen is fun.
>>
best place to go in early 20s as a rogue?

I was thinking of castle mistmoore or the highhold basement but everybody said the goblins hit hard til you reach 25+?
>>
>>1195477
Unrest is good.
>>
>>1188490
>MMO's are supposed to be about?
It's already a very vague meaning to begin with.
>>1189024
Brad was a crackhead who fell into old habits (hence his death) and much of Everquest's success was due to John Smedley (as odd as it may seem) since he's the one who pushed Everquest to be fully 3D and got the financial backing to make it happen.
>>
>>1195305
>ESL dwarf

huh?
>>
>>1196257
Extra Slow Leveller. Dumb dorfs rolling paladins like dorks and having the knight xp penalty.
>>
>>1195854
Hey be respectful to the man. He was a pillhead abusing his prescription. And also (allegedly) stealing them from the desks of the Vanguard development team but water under the bridge.
>>
Is Pantheon going to save the genre, lads?
>>
>>1196316
Hey maybe, anything can happen. But buckle in for another 10 years because the development team is just passing around hard coded demos until they can get the funding to build their actual engine and modular tools.
>>
>>1196316
>implying it's still going to be released
>>
>>1195477
Fire place room in unrest is good.

If you can't find a group in unrest you can run to mistmoor which is a few zones away and get a pond group. Do a /who all mismoor and just ask an early 20s person if they need another.
>>
>>1196316
didn't the main dev die? i bet it becomes a wow clone.
>>
>>1196286
>Hey be respectful to the man.
No, fuck off nigger
>And also (allegedly) stealing them from the desks of the Vanguard development team but water under the bridge.
Tell that to every person who got laid off at Sigil
>>
>>1197562
see:
>>1195854
>>
>>1197562
>wow

was it really that great,never had the chance to play it?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>2021
>still no functional Vanguard emulator
>>
File: frog.png (1.54 MB, 794x784)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>1173810
damn thats wild, never saw an everquest thread in my 10 years on /v/ and today i finally decided to give the game a try (its older than i am) and i see this thread. i keep trying to talk to people because im mainly playing this for the old school social aspect that new MMOs dont have, but no one will respond to me. is it because im a frog?
>>
>>1197791
thought the sarcasm in that post was pretty obvious.
>>
>>1199187
It's because modern EQ is a bizarre game for 45+ year old dads who refuse to move on. Everyone knows the game front and back and plays on weird progression servers, they don't have time for actual newbies.
If you want the actual old school social experience you should play on Project 1999.
>>
I had no idea this thread was up, and feel silly considering I made a thread on /vr/ that flopped and a thread on /vm/ at: >>>/vm/189602

>Came back to play on Green after being gone forever
>Didn't make much progress anyway so decide to make a Ranger
>Find <Leaf Quartet> dead, last Officer around as most moved on to <Fallen Leaves> and the subsequent guild
>Petition to ask for guild ownership transferred so the guild can be brought back to life still rotting after over a month
>Decide my friends and I will join a guild, turns out another member also joined from a while back
>Run into an Anon still in <Leaf Quartet> today in EC

Feels happy, man. Maybe one day we can bring it back to life. Also, holy fuck, Ranger is so fun.
>>
>>1180437
I don't care what anyone says, the Qeynos Aqueducts are peak comfy. Once you get a grasp of the place, it's really peak immersion for dungeon crawling.
>>
>>1184531
Oh hey, that's me! Hopefully the GMs fix us up some day. It'd be saddening to leave the old guild tag behind, though I don't know if we've enough folks to constitute an independent guild these days.
>>
>>1199510
i looked at project 1999's player numbers and it seems to hover around 500 or 600, does it feel like a ghost town? that was the main reason i chose nu-everquest. the starting zone is super active, im seeing dozens of people, but nobody will even say hi
>>
>>1199609
There's a couple of different servers for p99. Blue is fairly active but is full of veterans that have been playing for years and is at the end of the server's progression. Red is a PVP server and completely dead. Green is in the middle of the planned progression and is the most popular by a good margin. It seems to vary from around 900-1200 people which is more than enough for an EQ server. I believe most live servers had fewer people than that back in the day just due to hardware limitations.
>>
>>1199609
Blue's population tends to be lower than Green's, though Green will be eventually merging into Blue anyways. During low-peak, those are the numbers you can expect, but during Mondays, Tuesdays and weekends, you can expect from 800 to 2,000 or so folks. Even around 500 to 600, it definitely doesn't feel like a ghost town, no. Not here on Green, anywho.
>>
>>1199616
>>1199626
ok i'll give green a try
>>
File: j.jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1199152
If I was fuck you rich I would buy up the rights to old MMOs and bring them back as 100% free to play games.
>>
Classic EQ has pretty killer music. MMOs in particular are often lacking on the sound front. So I am surprised and dismayed that Kunark appears to have no music at all lol
Kinda sucks, I was looking forward to a spooky Iksar theme.
>>
>>1199819
Yeah that’s my one gripe about EQ. Luckily Velious makes up for it.
>>
>>1192738
>sightseeing in the Plains of Karana

It’s completely flat, you have no map, after you get raped by a hill giant have fun finding your corpse
>>
>>1200119
I like my girls like I like my Karana's: flat.
>>
File: High Elf Paladin.png (1.67 MB, 1263x707)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>1199187
>playing the "live" severs

anon it's like going to a graveyard at night looking for people to hang out with & make friends

it's never going to work,best to play on whatever emulated server you can find,although I will say just seeing what's become of EQ is neat
>>
File: Pond at Castle Mistmoore.png (1.33 MB, 1269x703)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>1200119
have you SEEN the dungeons in game m8 they literally ooze soul
>>
>>1200320
I desperately crave dungeons that are actually places meant to be explored, instead of tracks meant to be run.
>>
>>1200603
EQ certainly had that, some might even say to a fault. The dungeons in this game are basically cities built by evil creatures who don't care if you can't find your way around.
>>
>>1174766
You just have to deal with being a burden until your level is around 30 and then you get your first AE snare spell.
>>
>>1200653
Upper and lower guk doesn’t make sense even with a map... decades ago I would camp solo camp the fbss with a necromancer by charming the frenzied ghoul to kill his adds/anyone who tried to attack me mid solo. Good times, had to keep a chart in nearby journal to time the spawns.
>>
>>1189887
cope with your shit pick
>>
>>1200603
>instead of tracks meant to be run.

This guy has very, very clearly only played pre-treen level content, if at all. Plenty of dungeons are, in fact, dungeons. Feel free to google Guk; very popular example.
>>
>>1199819
EQ2s kunark soundtack is pretty great
Got some Conan vibes going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmxCWGqRbc
>>
>just fell off Kelethin again
I miss the Commonlands.
>>
File: 1449767529331.png (325 KB, 382x417)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1199510
>and plays on weird progression servers,
I played live for a while as a new player but there's just so much content that I felt overwhelmed and like I'm skipping over everything.
TLPs let me move through the content sequentially at a slower pace.
>It's because modern EQ is a bizarre game for 45+ year old dads who refuse to move on. Everyone knows the game front and back
People are too concerned with what other people are doing. It's a video game, have fun.
>>
>>1203287
It's a comfy and creative city but good lord is it a filter of getting good. Can't say there are many folks who didn't take an accidental tumble some time or another.
>>
>>1178392
Bard is good fun, but slows down 50+. You feel invincible 30-50
>>
>>1203524
I didn't intend a lot of judgment there. Was just trying to communicate that live EQ is not very inviting to new players.

>>1203678
I used to hate kelethin but I was having an oddly good time last night just navigating the city with aid of a map. It's surprising to me just how much getting rid of ingame map pulls you in.
>>
>covid starts
>everyone sent home for remote work
>work slows down a bit because of all the early pandemic chaos
>need something to occupy my time while work is slow
>played blue server 10 years ago pre-kunark and it was a lot of fun
>pick up p1999 on green server on a whim
>spend 6 months absolutely hooked
>multiple 50s, planar geared, loadsa plat
>kunark releases, having a blast during the early rush
>work starts picking back up
>social life starts to creep back in
>can't dedicate 8-16 hour sessions to leveling, gearing, raids anymore
>take a month break from the game
>realize how demanding and controlling this game is
holy fuck classic EQ will consume you, but damn is it fun. the relationships you build, the time it takes to "get good", the soul of every zone. i dont think it can be replicated. i still receive the guild discord messages calling for group replacements, raids, etc and its so tempting to go back, but its just so damn time consuming.
>>
>>1203758
>tfw want my friend to get into all of this
>tfw he prefers martials
>tfw he's expressed his distaste MMOs that give him nothing to do in combat
I know there are things for a melee character to do during a fight.
I just don't think I'll be able to convince him to try it without a rotation or something for him to do, instead of just watching his auto attacks pan out while kicking/bashing on occasion.
He won't be willing to do that long enough to build up a supply of items with on use effects, if he's even willing to rely on stuff like that at all.
>>
>>1203813
never played one, but don't monks have quite a few abilities to use?
>>
any anons in the low 40s?
>>
>>1203822
Not really. But they are still very active since they're often on pulling duty and doing that properly requires a good amount of skill and practice. They also shit dps and kick all kinds of ass, monks rule. But if you're used to wow and other modern games where the melee have just as many abilities as casters you might be disappointed regardless.
>>
>>1203813
I've heard SK's have a decent amount of active abilities although due to the hybrid penalty and the best species choice it'll be a while before he gets them.
>>
>>1203813
SK is probably the "most active" of the melee classes. You could also have him try Bard, though they don't really do a whole lot in melee at higher levels. However, twisting CCs, charms, heals, buffs, etc is very engaging.
>>
>>1178988
Bard is pretty sick but the one thing that kills me is you can't actually play any music lol
I get why they didn't tie any sound effects to the bard spells. Given how often they press buttons it would be annoying as shit. But even just a handful of stupid little emotes that let you play a tune would be nice. The class that's all about sound is completely silent, what the fuck.
>>
>>1203831
I have a 35 warrior but its stuck on blue ;_;
>>
How the fuck are people still playing on blue? I've never raided in EQ so maybe there's something I'm missing but its been out for over 10 years. Isn't everyone and their mom decked out in end game gear at this point?
>>
File: Monks.png (1.12 MB, 1272x699)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>1204443
it's fun m8 also this thread convinced me to roll a human monk which stat's should I dumped into it I was think of going with dex or agi?
>>
>>1204615
Neither are very good for monk from what I understand. The real choice is between stam and strength. Stam is the min/max choice because it's the hardest stat to cap and I think it comes in more handy when you're pulling. Str just increases your dps which is fun too.
>>
File: Stats.png (806 KB, 1272x700)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
>>1204629
yeah decided to just dump everything into STR,seems like I spawned right at midnight wat's this red book for should I even bother with PVP always heard you'd get double the amount of XP?
>>
>>1204637
Just delete the book, no one PVPs on green or blue. If you want that experience you gotta roll on red.
>>
>>1204637
The priest of discord was always a newbie trap.
>>
>>1203758
>discord
>>
>>1204696
If you raid on green, you are going to join your guilds discord. Just how it is.
>>
>>1205242
>even discord has taken over in a game as old as this
Fucking why
>>
>>1200603
>tfw you accidentially fall through one of the invisible holes in blackburrow

I played P99 when the Green Server went live. Everquests dungeons are a fucking ride.
You know you shouldn't go in there alone but they draw you in. And with the corpse system it becomes really fuckin exciting/stressful when you get trapped between the exit and some respawned mob.
>>
>>1205973
It is pretty much necessary. I don't know how we did it back in the day, but trying to raid any of the planes without voice instruction would be extremely difficult. One wrong move, just standing a foot away from the wrong spot, can mean a complete wipe and 1+ hours of corpse recovery. So half the discord is spent telling retards to not fucking move and do their job.
>>
File: sweating shirou.jpg (46 KB, 600x588)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1206237
>those sewers underneath qeynos

just take glance at the map it's crazy just how many newbies back on live died from just wandering around
>>
>>1174766
roll an magician anon they get the best pet's & can solo pretty much until their low 40s
>>
>>1206919
plus they get all sorts of fun summonables, they can summon players to their location. wizards are super useful for ports, but they really are a boring class. leveling up post-50 is probably easier for a wizard due to quad kiting, though.
>>
>>1204637
I haven’t played in decades, but pvp in eq had levels of griefing similar to rust. How you’d “pvp” as a monk wasn’t be laying down kungfu shit on a person, who could easily kite you. No, you’d wait till he was sitting down looking at his spell book, gather a giant train of pissed off mobs and then feign death next to him. Then he’d spend the next 4 hours screaming obsenities at you /logging onto his main and looking for you etc.
>>
>>1206481
Dude, I felt such a sensation of pride when I realized I could navigate those sewers without a map. I then spent every excuse being there until it was finally time for me to move on.
>>
File: god bless.png (1.15 MB, 1600x900)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>just hit level 9 as a ranger
This exp penalty is absolutely brutal but I think I'm gonna make it.
>>
File: Shell Armor.png (261 KB, 357x475)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>1208881
I reached lvl 9 two weeks back then made a dark elf rogue never went back the gap between how often you get spells is insanely slow I just couldn't take it

good luck anon!
>>
File: 1608832934454.jpg (1.73 MB, 1476x847)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Man, these mid/late 20s levels on bard is like christmas each level as far as power spikes. Snare, slow, ds, charm, mez, fear.
>>
>>1209884
Bards are cool as FUCK. They get a little of literally everything. Plus instruments getting to enhance the strength of certain abilities, I think? It's so cool.
>>
>>1210445
yeah it lends some song's have an enhanced effect for certain songs like selo's gaining slightly more speed if you used a lute
>>
>>1195305
I tried finding some ice boned skeletons but couldn't find any,do they only spawn deep inside the 3rd level?
>>
>>1208558
Bro same. I even made a little money guiding people from one end to another when I ran across them lost and confused in the dungeon.
>>
>>1210950
>gaining slightly

Instrument's actually boost songs enormously. Like the mistmoor drums have a modifier of 2x which makes selos twice as fast, dots twice as good. That's the reason bards stop meleeing and just play instruments.
>>
File: Bat What.png (26 KB, 510x106)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
whoa didn't know gems like this still existed
>>
File: Fae Dragons.png (1.07 MB, 1271x704)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>1173810
spooky fae butterfly
>>
File: EQ000012.png (1.23 MB, 1600x900)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>slow night in Crushbone
>group is holding the wall and taskmaster pit without many issues
>realize it's 2am and have to decide whether to stick around for the nice exp or actually go to sleep for the night
Oh no, I think I may be addicted.
>>
How's the population and what's the best way to play EQ, for someone 100% new.

gw1 is dead and I'm more or less done with CoH. I need my fix bros
>>
File: sunday morning lull.png (117 KB, 685x515)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>1212701
last I check there's consistently around 1000+ all hours of the day anon,with the recent addition of the new "green" server even the red PVP server has seen a spike in players in years
>>
>>1212701
Play p1999 Green server. Most active population, and the community is very welcoming.
>>
>>1213780
Which xpacs are they running?
>>
>>1213868
Kunark. They'll go to Velious at some point in the coming years.
>>
>>1214036
Velious is in like 5 months.
>>
>>1180810
>list

what's that?
>>
>>1213780
wheres the place to get the titanium client
>>
>>1214687
Flist, the camps are all controlled by a furry oligarchy and you have to text-fuck them to be allowed a chance to get the drop you want.
>>
>>1173810
asdf
>>
File: Neriak.png (1.16 MB, 1273x702)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>1214698
here use this anon

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BE151E4FC5992D474CCCADB3E0943F2FFCE8FC47&dn=EverQuest+Titanium+-+Project+1999+-+The+Scars+of+Velious&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.to%3A2920%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.internetwarriors.net%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.pirateparty.gr%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.cyberia.is%3A6969%2Fannounce
>>
Ran across this thread, I think I'm gonna give EQ a shot. Never played an EQ game before but I'm so tired of WoW Classic and I need my old MMO fix. I had a look at the classes and they all sound cool but I like the idea of a necromancer a lot. Do I get to summon undead and shit to fight for me?
>>
5 paladin
I like the "uncharted land" feeling of discovery
though I fear that I'm going to end up in a mob camp group like anon said, waiting for my trickle of XP
>>1180810

ngl I feel somewhat like I would prefer this as an open world exploration singleplayer game, hell I can imagine turning on mod powers on a pserver or something and just float around the world for sightseeing
>>
>>1215033
Yes, necromancer is one of the quote unquote "pet" classes in the game. One of your biggest tools at your disposal is going to be your undead pet that you're going to keep summoned and following you for pretty much the entirety of your time playing as a summoner. You also get a shitload of powerful spells to cast aside from the pet with a lot of focus on life drain and disease.
>>
>>1215033
Necros are probably the toughest hombre in the game. You mostly do “reverse kiting” where you snare a mob, fear it, dot it up. You can also do wild shit like charm undead npcs and solo dungeons, but this isn’t wow. You fuck up bad enough, you can lose your corpse (with all your shit on it).
>>
Druid faggots still do the /em hands you a little piggie joke if you ask them for a sow?
>>
>>1173810
>play as human
>have realistically dark nights
They just don’t make en the same way anymore
>>
>>1215181
>play a barbarian shaman
>start in Everfrost Peaks
>pass through Blackburrow and Qeynos Hills
>run across the Karanas
>cross your fingers and sprint through Highpass and Kithicor
>take a moment to stop in Rivervale and dab on the halflings
>continue back through Kithicor and the Commonlands
>go through the tunnel and make your way across a desert until you meet some disgusting gypsies
>haggle with them for the spell you need
>now you can see slightly better at night
Worth every fucking copper.
>>
>>1215181
I remember someone saying that this Titanium client is actually brighter at night than the original client from the old days
>>
I'm sorry <Leaf Quartet> Anons, but I ended up leaving the guild; I was holding out hoping the GMs would transfer guild ownership, but apparently some got on the other day to play around which means they probably looked at the existing petitions and didn't even bother. If you're still in the guild, you can try seeing if you can get a petition but I don't think there'll be much luck, sadly.
>>
File: Brewer Not Included.png (1.01 MB, 1270x695)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>1215523
>mfw could have just used sneak & invisible trick to gain faction with halas warrior guild instead of killing frostbite

really really terrible mistake that will likely take weeks or even a month to fix ;_;
>>
>>1215577
That used to be the case. For a long time p99 had unclassic darkness but a workaround was figured out before green's release. Allegedly the spell serpent's sight would give your night vision a green tinge but no evidence survives of the spell functioning that way.
>>
>>1215826
oh they fixed it for green huh, that's neat
>>
How long will Totemic Armor last a Shaman?
>>
>>1215996
I'm retarded and left the name on, sorry.
>>
dwarf cleric
yay or nay?
>>
>>1218011
Clerics are great. Dwarves are great. Cleric dwarves are great. Just make sure you put 5 points into your starting agility.
>>
>>1218091
You're great.
>>
Are there any class/race combinations to just not do, ever? Assume EXP penalties and bonuses don't really matter to me.
>>
File: High Elf Enchanter.png (1.58 MB, 1193x668)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>1218546
no everquest was very much a sandbox MMO before the term became glomped you could pretty much go & do every zone save the planes as any race or class

the only issue is faction play's a HUGE role in witch cities you could walk into,otherwize your killed on sight by the guards,working on killing NPCs they don't like can help raise your faction with them letting you enter safely but it can take a very long time
>>
Made a helf enchanter, what is the most popular place for pick up groups?
>>
>>1218546
Well nothing is so bad to make you utterly useless but you can really handicap yourself. Off the top of my head:
-Erudite paladin is probably the worst combo in the game
-selecting a warrior or shadow knight and not playing a large race
-selecting any religion as an enchanter but in particular an evil one
-being sub 75 agility at character creation
I wouldn't worry about min maxing in general. I see unorthodox or stupid combos a decent amount and you won't necessarily get turned away from groups. But if you plan on hard-core raiding or are just bothered by inefficiency it will definitely grate you. It's an old rpg so race can have a serious effect on your time with the game.
>>
>>1218750
>-being sub 75 agility at character creation
This is the first time I've ever heard brought up for EQ, could you elaborate on this please?
>>
>>1218627
Depends on where you're at and what level you're at, bud. Being a Half-Elf, I assume you're in Qeynos or Freeport. If you're in Qeynos, Blackburrow's your prime choice. In Freeport, you could meander on over to Orc camps in East Commons and then Crushbone over across the ocean at Greater Faydark.
>>
>>1218754
If your AGI ever goes below 75, it will physically hinder your ability to move and you will move slower than the average. You never, ever, ever, ever want to be below 75 AGI. Even if you wanted to be a thematically heavy character, walking around the world is simply way too painful a thing to do in a game like this because of how huge the world is.
>>
>>1218750
>selecting a warrior or shadow knight and not playing a large race

That's simply min-maxing, Anon. Nothing wrong with being a non-Huge Warrior; you just miss out on big-dick HPs and regeneration or frontal stun immunity. On the contrary, a Halfling Warrior levels the fastest in the game compared to any other race / class combo. Also having a religion as an Enchanter isn't too bad of a handicap, considering Alliance on top of Illusions but certainly is a thematic handicap purely for the sake of thematics.
>>
>>1218807
Nah I’m a high elf, fuck being a mullato
>>
>>1218750
>It's an old rpg so race can have a serious effect
I wish more games retained this
>>
>>1218838
Oh, I read that as Half Elf. Lmao Crushbone would definitely be amazing then, and you could easily float over to Befallen or Unrest any time you choose at your leisure.
>>
>>1218826
I don't play melees but I thought bash makes a huge difference. If you're not a huge warrior you're forced to use a shield if you want to bash.
I suppose picking an evil God isn't really a performance handicap for enchanters but it is seriously diminishing one of the perks of the trade.
>>
>>1218858
Oh, I didn't realize you can bash without a Shield if you're Huge. That's cool, too.
>>
>>1218871
There's no damage scaling on the level of using a shield but you still get the stunning and the entry into the hate list and that's really what matters I think
>>
>Sitting at a camp, no list
>Contemplate swapping characters to move to the camp
>The moment I'm about to log out, some fucker logs in behind me
>Keep farming until he leaves, then ask a guildy to come hold my camp for me
>Not but a minute before my guildy gets to me, another fucker logs in and sits down
>Except this guy doesn't leave; he just sits there and stares
>Alt-tabbed writing this message
>Mob spawns and someone runs by the same moment

GODDAMNIT LEAVE ME ALONE. THESE ARE LEVEL 11 MONSTERS! WHAT THE FUCK? ARE YOU ALL PSYCHIC? GODDAMN LET ME HAVE THIS ONE FARM AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1219116
Everything is permanently camped to fuck 24/7, there’s no getting around it. Only gets worse the higher level you get, expect them people start sending assblasted messages and threatening to report. It’s the reason I stopped playing p1999.
>>
>>1219116
>camping an out of the way goblin camp in the ass end of Butcherblock
>someone still saunters on by and eyes your shit despite being in the middle of nowhere
Never relax when you're soloing.
>>
>>1219142
>>1219156
It was especially irking because I'm a babby-level character, and one of the fuckers was wearing nearly full RUBICITE. Like the fucking GAL on this motherfucker trying to camp a low-level spawn just because he can do it semi-AFK. Christ almighty. I'm just trying to survive and get enough money to not be folded like fucking origami FUCK.
>>
Thinking about playing a shaman or a druid. I know shamans are basically superior at high level but do druids do anything better besides ports?
>>
File: DESPAIR.jpg (68 KB, 546x520)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1219116
>mfw this one time camped hadden & manged to get him both times before a random high elf wizard pop up literally right next to his spawn point and stealth killed him so fast I couldn't even target his body

I KNOW HE HAD THE EARRING ON HIM YOU KNIFE EARS!
>>
>>1219116
>>1219142
It's a damn shame, I love the game and P99 but there's way too many people keeping shit on lockdown all the time.
>>
>>1218546
People will tell you to stay away from non-large race SKs or Warriors, but it doesn't really matter. Iksar Warriors have tanked most end-game raid mobs and they can't even wear plate armor. Some will say never pick Human monk over Iksar monk, or any Necro over Iksar necro, because of their OP bonuses, but unless you are an ultra minmaxer you probably won't notice.
>>
>>1219312
Druids can snare, ds, and have better nukes...that's about it. Shamans have better heal (torpor), better dots, a serviceable pet, better stat buffs. Druids can quad though, that's a definite leveling advantage.
>>
>>1219809
Shamans also get a ridiculous slow. This was before game makers were made aware of how powerful slow and haste were.
>>
>>1219312
DS is actually great. It's just no where great enough to beat slow.

Snare is great but a lot of classes get some version.

A big thing is charm animal, actually. You can charm exp/camp till 60 on a druid. Shaman stop getting animal charm spells when the pet arrives.
>>
File: moments before disaster.png (730 KB, 1600x900)
730 KB
730 KB PNG
>attack snake
>get poisoned on the first and only hit it lands on me
>almost die from it
God damn.
>>
>>1220058
kelethin?
>>
>>1220245
Toxxula forest outside Neriak more likely
>>
>>1220058
Poison can be nasty. Just flex hard and it'll squeeze all of it out.
>>
Why is trying to sell stuff in East Commonlands so bloody cancerous? No wonder EQ introduced the Bazaar so early on, sitting AFK is far better then sitting AFK and typing "WTS hill giant dildo" for 5 hours straight every 8 minutes.
>>
>>1221472
There's a method to it, honestly. Reading price trends, seeing who all is selling and what their selling and day and time. In my opinion, despite cost inflation, it's truly a buyer's market.
>>
File: Brambles.png (1.06 MB, 1100x506)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>1221496
>mfw bought almost all my armor from actual NPC vendors in town instead of going to the tunnels
>>
>>1221779
This ironically works out really well with Banded armor, if you can find pieces of it. The vendor sells em cheaper then player prices.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (34 KB, 422x182)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>logging out to take a breather
>random elf hands me some free stuff worth more than everything my other characters are carrying put together
Huh. Dark elves really are the best.
>>
best class for a first-timer?
>>
>>1222023
Rezon is awesome, a certified G.
>>
>>1222023
>Loam Encrusted

Fucking badass, dude.

>>1222069
Bards are cool. They get a little of everything for their spells (of which they get one every single level), and have neat mechanics that'll work out bare-minimum but reward you for learning them more in-depth. Allows you as much flexibility as you need to be whatever you like.
>>
>>1222069
Don't do it, you'll stab your sword through your own head.
>>
File: 141881-full.jpg (77 KB, 693x448)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1173810
God I wish I had the time to sink into this like I used to. Any fellow busy people have any advice??
>>
>>1222069
Druid. Groups like you, you can nuke and heal and run fast, and you can make dosh with ports.
>>
Do clerics get to use cool spells in groups or is it just casting heal all day
>>
>>1222625
how quickly you clear shit is going to be based on how much the cleric sits on her ass and meditates. Shaman have a lot more going on.
>>
File: Jack Russel.jpg (56 KB, 572x510)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1222069
troll shadowknight
>>
>>1222710
Iksar shadow night
>>
>>1222694
I see, I will consider playing one of the ugly bastard shaman races
>>
>>1222732
Lizard kniggers are the best. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>1222538
Not him, but bumping, curious for answer. Played from launch to shadows of luclin, kinda want to play now but have job/wife/kid. Is it possible to play and juggle that? This thread has been giant nostalgia boner.
>>
>>1223104
I mean, you can always roll a class that is solo friendly and just pop online whenever you have a couple of hours to spare.
>>
>>1223104
I only played about an hour or two tops & was able to get to 40 but that was on a mage with the ability to solo,your mileage will varly wildly with which classes & if you can find a suitable group to dungeon with joining a guild (or making your own) can help with said grind
>>
is there a better feeling then getting loot worth more then five characters combined?
>>
>>1223653
>Kickass port ability
>One charge

WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO USE IT? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
>>
Today I saw a level 50 camping a starter character camp. Yikes.
>>
>>1223867
It's for emergencies.

You can get it recharged via a trick at the cost of 184pp. So you use it to avoid death if you think your XP loss is worth more than that. At higher lvls when you have more money you will definitely understand.
>>
>>1223282
Thanks anon
>>
How is this game so good? I stepped away from Green back in July after getting my characters up to 50 and now I'm back to sleeping three hours a night. Fuck.
>>
>>1222538
>e to sink into this like I used to. Any fellow busy people have any advice??

it's all about the journey, not the destination. Play on green and pop on when you have free time. Low-level grouping is the most fun you'll have in this again, and I'm saying this as a player on blue with three epic'd 60s.
>>
>>1225270
>epics

if I only wanted to do half of an epic could I go through em at low 40s or early 30s?
>>
File: Freeport Sewers 7-8-13.png (609 KB, 925x298)
609 KB
609 KB PNG
>>1225057
it's the atmosphere & ambiance that oozes through almost every facet of the game design anon,there was really no other "3D" MMO on the market at the time & it's never been replicated again ;_;
>>
>>1222538
Two options:
Play a class that can get groups easily, e.g. cleric to maximize grouping time

Play a class that can do something with even a little time or the risk of random interruption, like a druid
>>
I want to make a dial a zoom zoom character. What advantages do I have as a Wizard versus a Druid, since I wouldn't be able to heal or run fast?
>>
>>1226157
Well uh, you could raid? I guess?
>>
worth learning blacksmithing when you just start out?
>>
>>1226884
I like to tailor myself a full suit of tattered armor early on but as far as I can tell, none of the trades are really worth it for newbs.
>>
>>1222069
Druid if you want to be pretty self sufficient and have some great utility with the ability to heal, do damage buff and portal around the world as well as buff your run speed. May not be as desirable late game in groups, not sure anymore. Necromancer is also an awesome solo class, can feign death to use as an oh shit button when things go south and you life steal. You depend on your pet to tank, so if you don't like pets maybe not for you. Druids rely on kiting, meaning you cast dots on your target then run away as they slowly die. Necros do reverse kiting, they snare/slow a target then fear it so it slowly tries to crawl away as you nuke it and the pet beats on it from behind.
>>
File: EverQuest.png (3.19 MB, 1920x1080)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB PNG
Gorge of King Xorbb is a cool place.
>>
>>1226884
smithy here that can barely make a full set of banded armor,DO not go down the tradeskill route till you have a healthy amount of coin to burn through,
>>
>>1227027
never really understood the mechanics of FD,tried it on a monk years back on live and never got the hype?
>>
>>1228649
If successful it makes mobs treat you as if you're dead, so they stop attacking.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (969 KB, 1269x697)
969 KB
969 KB PNG
you now remember that to get towards a new island it took literally an entire two or more hours on boat
>>
File: Plate.png (312 KB, 419x389)
312 KB
312 KB PNG
>>1208881
>mfw feeling the pull to roll a dark elf shadow knight
>>
>>1229364
Nah I just road it, it’s like 33 minutes round trip. And they have set up in such a way that it doesn’t bug out all the time like it did back then. Like it respawns you when you zone on the boat, rather than try and preserve your position, and gives everyone levitate.
>>
>>1228649
It’s another way to break camps. You pull, fd, stand up after some have left, etc.
>>
>>1208881
Not getting SoW until level 30 or whatever is the real brutality.
>>
Pullers who don't have incoming messages are fucking buttfaggots.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.77 MB, 1276x709)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>>1229742
what's that couldn't hear you too distracted by this armor design good god look at these pixels! what was sony smoking back then imagine if this was released today people who have a fit and cry about "think of the children"
>>
>>1229658
The old bug triggered when you were anywhere on the boat that wasn't the main deck at the moment of zoning. You would disconnect and you would pop back in when the boat was already on its way back, your character included, ready for another 30 mins trip.

Good times!
>>
>>1229876
I remember fighting sirens and jumping through the bottom of the boat to reboard when I was done. And sometimes screwing up and going "well time to hunt more sirens"
>>
>>1179762
if you think typing like a retard is some sort of internal joke, please stop, because you're not funny
>>
>>1199006
eh, it's neat
charming style, stellar music, and a pretty big feeling world to explore, spent 30 days /played getting to 60 back in the day and I loved every second of it
very solo friendly though so that's kind of sacrilegious
>>
>>1199006
Wow was a good game but they added some really cancerous additions like the groupfinder, then they had to keep adding more cancer to balance the cancer, etc. it was always more balanced and polished, but that also meant you never got play with crazy shit like 75% slow
>>
Hows the EU playerbase looking these days?
>>
>>1230772
at some points there were ridiculous abilities like UD racial giving fear immunity for 30 seconds and reckbomb
I can see why that caused big asshurt though. Meanwhile in eq
>>1207622
imo it's fine to fix imbalance if it ruins the game
>>
File: pumpkin patch.jpg (56 KB, 720x663)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I never played EQ back when the classic through Velious was live, but I absolutely love the game on Project 1999. It rewards careful play, patience, and planning ahead. I have a 51 Iksar Shadowknight on Blue so far.

>>1206237
>Kaesora
>Hole ledge
>you can get in but you can't get out until you fight your way to the exit
Also all the secret walls and floor traps. This game doesn't fuck around.
>>
>>1206237
I fucking loved seeing just how far I could get myself via abusing mob sightlines and hugging walls. I surprised a lot of folks when I showed up in Highpass as a level 11 from Qeynos once.
>>
Is this game good if I'm a coomer, or does erp not exist?
>>
>be at eruds crossing killing wisps
>wizard who just arrived pulls two
>watch her repeatedly try to root one
>dies
>I loot the corpse of the one she does kills
Also holy shit are druids the biggest pussies in this game, two lvl 18s farming this shit
>>
>>1230973
Within four months of Green's launch I met a tranny that constantly tried to erp with me and then caused a whole bunch of drama when he faked his own death for attention. Clearly there are some freaks lurking around that you can fit in with.
>>
>>1230973
>>1231095
>female high elf cleric joins guild
>guild splits apart a week later because of beta male drama
Many such cases over the past 20+ years. Sad.
>>
File: fragezeichenm旦dchen.png (230 KB, 450x450)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
How do you go about the music? Using the soundfont 1mgm.sf2 in virtualmidisynth seems to work somewhat, but is there a better way to render the BGM?
>>
File: Human Warrior.png (451 KB, 294x704)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
>>1230973
you have seen what passes for armor in this MMO m8
>>
File: Stats Shadowknight DE.png (62 KB, 169x397)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
Did I hit the right notes on stats?
>>
Death sucks so much in this game, it’s a little thrill when you see a pile of corpses from a failed pull.
>>
>>1231505
>70 stamina
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>1231505
I haven’t played sk in years, but iirc you have to carry a lot heavy gear, I’d go more into strength and sta.
>>
>>1231505
Drop the int for more stamina and strength. Dark elf brains are big enough as is.
>>
File: airplane-keymaster.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1189887
>>1191138
Plane of Sky is unique for sure. Nothing else I've ever played compares to that experience.

Other than that, early EQ raids were different from later MMO raiding in that they were basically just huge ass dragons with massive HP/attack/AoEs that the developers stuck in the game to see if players could manage to take them out. There was minimal scripting, no elaborately planned encounters with multiple phases designed for a specific meta or to test a team's ability to coordinate players in a very specific way. Just a huge fucking dragon in a cavern with a powerful breath weapon, dragonfear, and giant allies.

Velious started getting raid-heavy but by that point it really felt like THE endgame. If Everquest was a classic RPG, North Temple of Veeshan would be the final level and Sleeper's Tomb would be the optional dungeon/bosses. And Velious was, overall, a very good quality expansion for everyone, whether you liked raids or not.

I think it was inevitable, though. The idea of 30+ players teaming up to take on a huge boss is the logical conclusion of a "Massively Multiplayer Online RPG" focused on teamwork and collaboration more than PVP.

Much of the real MMO cancer was present well before raiding anyway. Lame timesinks, endless class balancing problems, spawn camping, mudflation, zone crowding and social metas dominated by retarded groupthink.
>>
>>1231505
Read this for suggestions:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shadow_Knight
>>
>>1231660
>Much of the real MMO cancer was present well before raiding anyway
Funny how a lot of people seem to forget that these days.
>>
>>1231662
>Human Shadow Knights are also the only race that can have a moustache, so do consider that.

Pretty sure some DE faces have moustaches too
>>
>>1215181
>>1215523
Mage here, anyone need a coldstone?
>>
File: feels bad.png (816 KB, 1600x900)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
>log in for some grinding
>get smacked down by this tiny cunt almost immediately
>decide to ditch Nektulos in favor of the commonlands or Befallen
>there was a random shadowed man parked on the bridge waiting for my blue ass
>two deaths within 5 minutes of logging
Ahhh.
>>
>>1231688
I have a real love/hate relationship with EQ for sure. Whenever people ask my top games of all time I always have a hard time trying to decide whether EQ should be included or not. The things that worked, worked in a way that can probably never be replicated again. The game had soul, everything felt real because other players inhabited the world and interacted with you in so many big and small ways. The remote zones felt remote and the city zones felt safe and homey. EQ was undeniably at its best when you were exploring new light-to-moderately populated zones with a small group of friends not knowing what you'd be up against next.

But god damn when it was bad it was awful. Everyone was on a quest for the optimal XP group and when you got one you'd be faced with hours of monotonous, highly efficient slaughter broken up by the occasional rare drop to roll on. Tradeskills involved no skill or creativity, just following rote recipes and endless clicking. I hated overcrowded "social zones" where the entire dungeon would be camped and "playing" meant getting put on lists to join your desired camp spots and /shout would be routinely dominated by people bitching about whether some specific Froglock belongs to the ass/sup camp or not and who killsteals from whom. And that's before you deal with raiding bullshit, spending hours clearing trash only to be leapfrogged by another guild while you're prepping for the final boss then getting into the drama on the server's ezboard.
>>
File: dipstick pill.png (9 KB, 500x250)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>1231727
>open a hut East Commons as a babby iksar SK
>Rinna Lightshadow comes out and immediately rapes my face
>turns out she's just a level 61 NPC with no other purpose then to assmurder evil characters that open the door to her hut
Also shoutouts to that bastard Sergeant Slate. And that night giant that killed me as soon as I left the Befallen tunnel to WC. The real beauty of EQ is that you remember stuff like this.
>>
>>1231787
You never should have come here!
>>
>doing stein of moggok quest
>make a level 2 monk to kill the sacred fish to eat the faction hits
>the entire pool is filled with dead bodies named things like “pescatarian “
>>
File: Npc_holly_windstalker.png (398 KB, 464x729)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
>>1231787
>sit down to med in Qeynos Hills
>get attacked by a rabid wolf
>this bitch runs over to help
T-thanks.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (22 KB, 716x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1231799
>mfw killing frostbite absolutely wreaks your halas faction

I should have just killed that one NPC near the Freeport docks to gain faction with em the fish isn't worth it
>>
>>1231311
The superior soundfont is 4GMGSMT.SF2. If you can get your hands on it it'll emulate the sound of the fancy sound cards that EQ was composed on back in the day. 1mgm is a compressed version of the higher end fonts. It's a lot better than the windows default these days but it isn't the best. 4GMGSMT.SF2 is findable with a simple Google search last I checked but its technically still under copyright so it's possible links are getting taken down.
One quirk of this sound emulation is that occasionally one of the midi instruments will go out of tune. Its fixable by just restarting your synth player but I've never found a solution to the error occurring in the first place.
>>
>>1231859
the one here?
https://archive.org/download/free-soundfonts-sf2-2019-04
Creative Labs 4M GM_4gmgsmt.sf2
>>
>>1232232
That should do it.
>>
>>1232331
odd, the song playing in this place (no idea which track that is) sounds completely off in that font. Right now I'm testing 084.0mg ALL In ONE GM V1.1 Bank.sf2 and it seems to do better.
>>
>>1232358
Look for a version without that GM_ then. I thought it wouldn't matter but I don't know shit.
>>
God I miss this world and when MMOs made worlds worth exploring. Every time I see one of these threads I want to jump back in to just walk around the cities again.
>>
>>1232686
>the lodge of the dead theme

reminds me of twin peaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0pQTznbto
>>
WHO TF UP???? If you out there grindin and stacking dat plat if you out there pushin dem levels reply to this post and tell me where a nigga at!!!
>>
>people tell me to go kill orcs in highpass for great xp and some decent money
>catch a boat and ride over to Freeport, excited to check out a new spot to grind
>level 54 camping and killing all of the orcs
Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about people being complete faggots on this server.
>>
File: SHARKS.png (493 KB, 1132x506)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
GUYS FLOATING SHARKS AT THE FREEPORT DOCKS!
>>
>>1233085
That and there's honestly too many people all over the place. I feel like removing teal was a mistake.
>>
What server should I play on if I'm new?
>>
>>1223104
Depends on what you want to accomplish. Want to see endgame dungeons and planes, get awesome no-drop gear, and reach 60? It will take you a long time with 10+ hour play sessions. If you plan to group occasionally, but mostly solo, still requires a minimum of a few hours playtime to accomplish any real progression, even at lower levels.
>>
>>1223867
When you are stuck in plane of hate.
>>
>>1233189
Green server
>>
>>1233189
Red
>>
I wish there was a server with p1999's population but accurate to the Luclin-Planes of Power era.
>>
What's a level you guys would say is a good point for determining whether or not you would like the game overall?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.