[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Everquest Woodelf Bard.png (1.49 MB, 1269x704)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
Hail an [Everquest] thread draws near!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwV1j1L9Kgg
>>
>want to play a wizard
>don't want to be a burden in every group I join
It's a terrible feeling.
>>
File: Eruds Crossing.png (511 KB, 1268x705)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
>>1174766
>burden

are you drunk on eleven wine m8,wizards are the king of absolutely destroying enemy's mobs health like butter
>>
>>1174766
Majik taxi
>>
File: eq_races.png (1.94 MB, 978x755)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>1173810
Aren't they still making expansions for that? Pretty crazy, but I guess after canceling EQ:Next, there's not a whole lot else to do at Daybreak.
>>
>>1175788
that's not wizards,it's druids & if I remember shamans could get people around by turning into a wolf? it's been a few years since I played live or p99
>>
>>1177029
Yeah druids too. But release eq wizards were kinda garbage so were mostly useful as taxi.
>>
>>1175213
>worse in every way to an enchanter
>>
>>1173810
This game had some great fapbait, which was great if you were needing a distraction while waiting for a boat.
>>
>>1173810
Asheron's Call was superior to this nigger-tier cancer in every way, yet this bullshit gets to survive (albeit not for much longer, but still).

I hope the great reset gets rid of all you fucking NPCs with shit opinions and tastes.
>>
>>1177850
Thanks for the bump (you)
>>
>>1174766
Roll a druid.
Still not first pick. Have to heal a lot of the time.
But can nuke surprisingly well (when the group needs that, which is more than they need the wizard).
No seriously was blown away.
>>
>>1178278
Are Bards actually fun always avoided them on live when a buddy said they gave em hand cramps from pushing too many keys?

Are they as fun as a magician were?
>>
>>1178392
Bards are sick nasty for real dawg. Run so fast, press buttons all day and nobody really knows what you do so they just watch you erupt in particle effects and assume you're helping.
>>
>>1178392
As far as tying gameplay to flavor goes, EQ Bards were next level. You literally played your spell hotbar like it was a musical instrument keeping several short-lived effects going as long as possible.

Or you turned your usual rotations into hotkeys that did it for you iunno
>>
>>1178392
I dropped my druid for bard and it's a blast but only mid 20s so far. Most fun I've had since 60 ench on live.

The assualt on your wrists is real though. If you've got a mouse that's more than two clicks and a wheel bind some songs to it's buttons so you can twist with your thumb. World of difference.
>>
File: Permafrost Keep.png (971 KB, 1267x705)
971 KB
971 KB PNG
>>1178983
Meh at least rogue's get a free critical hit button that generate's ton's of hate

>most armor barely cover's your character's breast on full display & dark elf's cave their cheeks showing all the time
>>
bumping with slimes!
>>
p99 green released and I missed getting anything like a guise.
lost all interest
>>
File: Kerre Isle 1-2-2021.png (57 KB, 528x266)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1180456
so just get a dark elf going m8 or given when the next XP pack releases go dive headfirst into gaining all that phat loot you want before it lands
>>
>>1180456
I mean, I had a ton of fun playing on green but holy shit could I not stand camping for 20+ hours on a list for jboots or guise.
>>
>>1178392
On a pvp server they had the greatest griefibg potential
>>
>>1180810
>”classic Everquest” green server
>lists

lists are insanely un-classic
>>
>>1181328
There's all kinds of faggotry on p99 but it's pretty much the only thing out there unless you want to play on the official progression servers which sound like absolute garbage.
>>
>>1181361
You misunderstood. I raid on blue and have played a little on green. Project 1999 is wonderful but I just hate “lists” and refused to bother with them.
>>
File: West Karana.png (825 KB, 1267x537)
825 KB
825 KB PNG
if anyone wants to party tonight & slay gnolls throughout the night come to blackburrow & look for the only wood elf with a mace flailing around
>>
Half elves are ugly.
>>
>running laps around Qeynos Hills killing wisps and any rabid animals
>gain a level and a half and decide to take a break
>check the clock and apparently I'd been grinding like an autist for 3 hours
o-oh.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (224 KB, 405x429)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>1182797
You should take a real good look at troll m8
>>
>>1183567
I love how fucking w i d e you can be in this game. Devs have absolutely no respect for girth these days.
>>
>>1182797
>not making a halfing thief
>>
>>1184459
Joke's on you, I made a halfling cleric. And then dropped it to play a shaman instead.
>>
>>1184509
Holy shit, is the 4chan guild still up and running?
>>
File: Clipboard03.png (15 KB, 406x96)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1184512
y-yeah...
>>
>>1184531
Haha...yeah... good times bro.
>>
Shiiiiiiiet why none yall niggas tell me Kunark was out?
>>
File: hood rich shaman.png (53 KB, 415x193)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
Remember to keep all of your weapon skills up to date so you don't end up like me.
>>
>>1184531
>fallen leaves

I still have my warrior on but nobody else pop's up when I type who all guild,does this mean I have complete access to the guild bank always wanted to see what it looked like in classic
>>
>>1184872
>level rogue to 50
>literally never use anything except piercing
I may regret this one day.
>>
>>1186209
1H Bashing is there for a reason anon,& cold steel mace's help a ton as well
>>
do the skeletons in everfrost peaks not drop crystallized marrow spent around three solid hours running back & forth and nothing dropped
>>
>>1173810
Holy shit I remember playing P99 through curiosity, once went through a secret tunnel in freeport and got buttfucked by this lvl60 npc because of my deity choice lmao

Great times though, wish more MMOs were as ambitious as this and had loss of xp to make you actually fear for your life
>>
>combat binding got nerfed on p99
Sucks dude.
>>
File: 1-2-2021 12 25 AM.png (35 KB, 497x163)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1188234
>not having a buddy make a bard & duoing for that sweet HP regen

come on anon bring your friends along for the ride,after five full months of hunting down the right items for the kerrans I've finally found pic/related from their tiny island
>>
>>1188302
>duoing with a bard
but muh xp penalty!
>>
other games with midi kino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kj54VyS5BI
>>
>>1188374
I hated doing the racing levels, this music puts me on edge
>>
>>1173810
Are MMO's dead bros? Will we be cursed with theme parks forever or is there anything coming out soon that gets back to what MMO's are supposed to be about?
>>
>>1188490
Our only hope died with Brady ;_;
>>
>>1188490
>>1189024
The old internet is all gone, in fact you wouldn’t tolerate typical internet users circa 2001 today.
>>
>>1178278
Wizards are actually far superior to druids, can port to ALL raids, and actually useful on raids. Druids do nothing in raids except leech dkp and occasionally sow and patch heal. They are completely shit.
>>
>>1173810
I tried the free trial and my god this game is shit. Not the visuals or sound they are fine but the core game. boring combat with no tooltips at all. clunky controls and shit UI. tedious class system and boring uninspired designed maps.
>>
>>1189858
>raids
I forgot Everquest was the cancer that ruined all MMORPGs with this endgame shit.
Fuck this game and fuck all you raiders.
>>
>>1189878
Filtered.
>>
>>1173810
> Recently installed EQ again.
> My 21 year old level 28 Halfling Druid has been transferred from dead server E'Ci, but is still there
>Remember I was in the middle of the Testament of Vanear quest, look up a guide and finish it
Anons. This feels so nice. If anyone told me back when I was 14 that I would only finish the Vanear quest at 35, I wouldn't have believed it.
What have I missed? I don't think I want to further level my druid, but leave him as a relic of the past. Which class is fun to level these days?
>>
>>1190313
Also, I've been getting a lot of drops of some ridiculously strong gear, most of it blue dyed iirc. It's absolutely destroying the simple leather gear my druid was wearing. Does strong gear just drop all the time now?
>>
>>1189887
Lol, plane of sky is probably the most interesting and exciting zone in the whole game. I take it your imagining wow raiding, huh? EQ raiding is a completely different ballgame...
>>
>>1190313
When frogloks got released I liked being a froglok cleric, you might like that too. I think everyone starts out at a boring centralized starting city now, though, so maybe it won't be like I remember it being.
>>
>>1188490
Ashes of Creation looks really interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY
>>
>>1189858
What about pally's always wanted to make a dwarf one?
>>
>>1191979
Paladins are awesome and everyone always needs tanks.
>>
File: mountains.png (745 KB, 1271x703)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
>>1177850
you see these pointy things at the very top of the mountains,you can climb them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDndGSJeH1E
>>
P99 always seems like it'll be a magical adventure in a retro and unforgiving fantasy world but then I'm standing outside freeport farming orc belts for 2 hours in absolutely no danger of dying and I've gained maybe 1 bar of exp. Maybe the end-game is more fun but that takes the absurdity of the "it doesn't get good until 10 hours in" rpg trope to new levels.
>>
>>1192613
>solo

there's yer problem anon,in order to gain ANY amount of traction with regards to lvls & XP you need a group

now there are a few fair quest that could help out some such as gnoll fangs in qeynos but their so far & in-between it's they mostly come from killing things
>>
>>1192613
Dude, why play an mmo if you just want to solo?
>>
>>1192665
>>1192683
During my belt farming tenure I was in fact in a group. I met a Swedish man who wanted to talk about the weather and American football. And that had a charm, but I guess I was expecting less repetition. Or at least more failure points.
>>
>>1192705
The difficulty and danger ramp up exponentially the further away you venture from the starter areas. Grinding newbie quests and camps in East Commons isn't much of an adventure compared to sightseeing in the Plains of Karana or making your first trek to Highhold for some gobbo killing in the basement. Everquest was all about that "quest" part, but the quests weren't usually literal objectives given to you by NPCs. Go explore, make some friends to kill shit with and just enjoy the journey. What class/race are you playing?
>>
>>1192738
I was playing a human bard. The 40% EXP penalty was pretty killer but every other class is just so slow.
>>
>>1192705
Try talking a walk in Kithicor Woods at night
>>
>>1192705
>I was expecting less repetition. Or at least more failure points

You're ultra close to Befallen if you want less of the first and more of the second.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (376 KB, 827x553)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>1192807
>those laughs

sent chills down my spine everytime
>>
>>1194013
I played EQ for like five years way back in the day and never turned the sound on. I was genuinely shocked by all the ridiculous sound effects and awesome music when I played on Green's release.
>>
>get overconfident in Befallen and die with your ESL dwarf duo
>manage to accidentally train some dark elf in the process
>the three of us spend the next 30 minutes awkwardly huddled together waiting for someone to unlock the first door so we can grab our corpses
Befallen is fun.
>>
best place to go in early 20s as a rogue?

I was thinking of castle mistmoore or the highhold basement but everybody said the goblins hit hard til you reach 25+?
>>
>>1195477
Unrest is good.
>>
>>1188490
>MMO's are supposed to be about?
It's already a very vague meaning to begin with.
>>1189024
Brad was a crackhead who fell into old habits (hence his death) and much of Everquest's success was due to John Smedley (as odd as it may seem) since he's the one who pushed Everquest to be fully 3D and got the financial backing to make it happen.
>>
>>1195305
>ESL dwarf

huh?
>>
>>1196257
Extra Slow Leveller. Dumb dorfs rolling paladins like dorks and having the knight xp penalty.
>>
>>1195854
Hey be respectful to the man. He was a pillhead abusing his prescription. And also (allegedly) stealing them from the desks of the Vanguard development team but water under the bridge.
>>
Is Pantheon going to save the genre, lads?
>>
>>1196316
Hey maybe, anything can happen. But buckle in for another 10 years because the development team is just passing around hard coded demos until they can get the funding to build their actual engine and modular tools.
>>
>>1196316
>implying it's still going to be released
>>
>>1195477
Fire place room in unrest is good.

If you can't find a group in unrest you can run to mistmoor which is a few zones away and get a pond group. Do a /who all mismoor and just ask an early 20s person if they need another.
>>
>>1196316
didn't the main dev die? i bet it becomes a wow clone.
>>
>>1196286
>Hey be respectful to the man.
No, fuck off nigger
>And also (allegedly) stealing them from the desks of the Vanguard development team but water under the bridge.
Tell that to every person who got laid off at Sigil
>>
>>1197562
see:
>>1195854
>>
>>1197562
>wow

was it really that great,never had the chance to play it?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>2021
>still no functional Vanguard emulator
>>
File: frog.png (1.54 MB, 794x784)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>1173810
damn thats wild, never saw an everquest thread in my 10 years on /v/ and today i finally decided to give the game a try (its older than i am) and i see this thread. i keep trying to talk to people because im mainly playing this for the old school social aspect that new MMOs dont have, but no one will respond to me. is it because im a frog?
>>
>>1197791
thought the sarcasm in that post was pretty obvious.
>>
>>1199187
It's because modern EQ is a bizarre game for 45+ year old dads who refuse to move on. Everyone knows the game front and back and plays on weird progression servers, they don't have time for actual newbies.
If you want the actual old school social experience you should play on Project 1999.
>>
I had no idea this thread was up, and feel silly considering I made a thread on /vr/ that flopped and a thread on /vm/ at: >>>/vm/189602

>Came back to play on Green after being gone forever
>Didn't make much progress anyway so decide to make a Ranger
>Find <Leaf Quartet> dead, last Officer around as most moved on to <Fallen Leaves> and the subsequent guild
>Petition to ask for guild ownership transferred so the guild can be brought back to life still rotting after over a month
>Decide my friends and I will join a guild, turns out another member also joined from a while back
>Run into an Anon still in <Leaf Quartet> today in EC

Feels happy, man. Maybe one day we can bring it back to life. Also, holy fuck, Ranger is so fun.
>>
>>1180437
I don't care what anyone says, the Qeynos Aqueducts are peak comfy. Once you get a grasp of the place, it's really peak immersion for dungeon crawling.
>>
>>1184531
Oh hey, that's me! Hopefully the GMs fix us up some day. It'd be saddening to leave the old guild tag behind, though I don't know if we've enough folks to constitute an independent guild these days.
>>
>>1199510
i looked at project 1999's player numbers and it seems to hover around 500 or 600, does it feel like a ghost town? that was the main reason i chose nu-everquest. the starting zone is super active, im seeing dozens of people, but nobody will even say hi
>>
>>1199609
There's a couple of different servers for p99. Blue is fairly active but is full of veterans that have been playing for years and is at the end of the server's progression. Red is a PVP server and completely dead. Green is in the middle of the planned progression and is the most popular by a good margin. It seems to vary from around 900-1200 people which is more than enough for an EQ server. I believe most live servers had fewer people than that back in the day just due to hardware limitations.
>>
>>1199609
Blue's population tends to be lower than Green's, though Green will be eventually merging into Blue anyways. During low-peak, those are the numbers you can expect, but during Mondays, Tuesdays and weekends, you can expect from 800 to 2,000 or so folks. Even around 500 to 600, it definitely doesn't feel like a ghost town, no. Not here on Green, anywho.
>>
>>1199616
>>1199626
ok i'll give green a try
>>
File: j.jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1199152
If I was fuck you rich I would buy up the rights to old MMOs and bring them back as 100% free to play games.
>>
Classic EQ has pretty killer music. MMOs in particular are often lacking on the sound front. So I am surprised and dismayed that Kunark appears to have no music at all lol
Kinda sucks, I was looking forward to a spooky Iksar theme.
>>
>>1199819
Yeah that’s my one gripe about EQ. Luckily Velious makes up for it.
>>
>>1192738
>sightseeing in the Plains of Karana

It’s completely flat, you have no map, after you get raped by a hill giant have fun finding your corpse
>>
>>1200119
I like my girls like I like my Karana's: flat.
>>
File: High Elf Paladin.png (1.67 MB, 1263x707)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>1199187
>playing the "live" severs

anon it's like going to a graveyard at night looking for people to hang out with & make friends

it's never going to work,best to play on whatever emulated server you can find,although I will say just seeing what's become of EQ is neat
>>
File: Pond at Castle Mistmoore.png (1.33 MB, 1269x703)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>1200119
have you SEEN the dungeons in game m8 they literally ooze soul
>>
>>1200320
I desperately crave dungeons that are actually places meant to be explored, instead of tracks meant to be run.
>>
>>1200603
EQ certainly had that, some might even say to a fault. The dungeons in this game are basically cities built by evil creatures who don't care if you can't find your way around.
>>
>>1174766
You just have to deal with being a burden until your level is around 30 and then you get your first AE snare spell.
>>
>>1200653
Upper and lower guk doesn’t make sense even with a map... decades ago I would camp solo camp the fbss with a necromancer by charming the frenzied ghoul to kill his adds/anyone who tried to attack me mid solo. Good times, had to keep a chart in nearby journal to time the spawns.
>>
>>1189887
cope with your shit pick
>>
>>1200603
>instead of tracks meant to be run.

This guy has very, very clearly only played pre-treen level content, if at all. Plenty of dungeons are, in fact, dungeons. Feel free to google Guk; very popular example.
>>
>>1199819
EQ2s kunark soundtack is pretty great
Got some Conan vibes going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmxCWGqRbc
>>
>just fell off Kelethin again
I miss the Commonlands.
>>
File: 1449767529331.png (325 KB, 382x417)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1199510
>and plays on weird progression servers,
I played live for a while as a new player but there's just so much content that I felt overwhelmed and like I'm skipping over everything.
TLPs let me move through the content sequentially at a slower pace.
>It's because modern EQ is a bizarre game for 45+ year old dads who refuse to move on. Everyone knows the game front and back
People are too concerned with what other people are doing. It's a video game, have fun.
>>
>>1203287
It's a comfy and creative city but good lord is it a filter of getting good. Can't say there are many folks who didn't take an accidental tumble some time or another.
>>
>>1178392
Bard is good fun, but slows down 50+. You feel invincible 30-50
>>
>>1203524
I didn't intend a lot of judgment there. Was just trying to communicate that live EQ is not very inviting to new players.

>>1203678
I used to hate kelethin but I was having an oddly good time last night just navigating the city with aid of a map. It's surprising to me just how much getting rid of ingame map pulls you in.
>>
>covid starts
>everyone sent home for remote work
>work slows down a bit because of all the early pandemic chaos
>need something to occupy my time while work is slow
>played blue server 10 years ago pre-kunark and it was a lot of fun
>pick up p1999 on green server on a whim
>spend 6 months absolutely hooked
>multiple 50s, planar geared, loadsa plat
>kunark releases, having a blast during the early rush
>work starts picking back up
>social life starts to creep back in
>can't dedicate 8-16 hour sessions to leveling, gearing, raids anymore
>take a month break from the game
>realize how demanding and controlling this game is
holy fuck classic EQ will consume you, but damn is it fun. the relationships you build, the time it takes to "get good", the soul of every zone. i dont think it can be replicated. i still receive the guild discord messages calling for group replacements, raids, etc and its so tempting to go back, but its just so damn time consuming.
>>
>>1203758
>tfw want my friend to get into all of this
>tfw he prefers martials
>tfw he's expressed his distaste MMOs that give him nothing to do in combat
I know there are things for a melee character to do during a fight.
I just don't think I'll be able to convince him to try it without a rotation or something for him to do, instead of just watching his auto attacks pan out while kicking/bashing on occasion.
He won't be willing to do that long enough to build up a supply of items with on use effects, if he's even willing to rely on stuff like that at all.
>>
>>1203813
never played one, but don't monks have quite a few abilities to use?
>>
any anons in the low 40s?
>>
>>1203822
Not really. But they are still very active since they're often on pulling duty and doing that properly requires a good amount of skill and practice. They also shit dps and kick all kinds of ass, monks rule. But if you're used to wow and other modern games where the melee have just as many abilities as casters you might be disappointed regardless.
>>
>>1203813
I've heard SK's have a decent amount of active abilities although due to the hybrid penalty and the best species choice it'll be a while before he gets them.
>>
>>1203813
SK is probably the "most active" of the melee classes. You could also have him try Bard, though they don't really do a whole lot in melee at higher levels. However, twisting CCs, charms, heals, buffs, etc is very engaging.
>>
>>1178988
Bard is pretty sick but the one thing that kills me is you can't actually play any music lol
I get why they didn't tie any sound effects to the bard spells. Given how often they press buttons it would be annoying as shit. But even just a handful of stupid little emotes that let you play a tune would be nice. The class that's all about sound is completely silent, what the fuck.
>>
>>1203831
I have a 35 warrior but its stuck on blue ;_;
>>
How the fuck are people still playing on blue? I've never raided in EQ so maybe there's something I'm missing but its been out for over 10 years. Isn't everyone and their mom decked out in end game gear at this point?
>>
File: Monks.png (1.12 MB, 1272x699)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>1204443
it's fun m8 also this thread convinced me to roll a human monk which stat's should I dumped into it I was think of going with dex or agi?
>>
>>1204615
Neither are very good for monk from what I understand. The real choice is between stam and strength. Stam is the min/max choice because it's the hardest stat to cap and I think it comes in more handy when you're pulling. Str just increases your dps which is fun too.
>>
File: Stats.png (806 KB, 1272x700)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
>>1204629
yeah decided to just dump everything into STR,seems like I spawned right at midnight wat's this red book for should I even bother with PVP always heard you'd get double the amount of XP?
>>
>>1204637
Just delete the book, no one PVPs on green or blue. If you want that experience you gotta roll on red.
>>
>>1204637
The priest of discord was always a newbie trap.
>>
>>1203758
>discord
>>
>>1204696
If you raid on green, you are going to join your guilds discord. Just how it is.
>>
>>1205242
>even discord has taken over in a game as old as this
Fucking why

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.