[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

dropped OfA very early some time ago, and now I'm trying OfS (allegedly the better one).

2 hours in and it looks like a puzzle/fetch quest game.

LA had me all the way. I'm missing something?
>>
>>9599285
considering how similar these games are i think it's on you to say why you like links awakening and not these other ones. all zelda games are puzzle games.
>>
>>9599285
the oracle games have a lot of overworld puzzles that require use of their respective gimmick. seasons has some particularly egregious ones imo despite ages having far harder dungeons
>>
>>9599292
hard to compare when you play one then 2 years later you play another

I think nintendo maybe put more emphasis on action in the early game? even if it's not hard at all, in Oracle I'm not even tested yet on the action department
>>
>>9599285
what kind of fucking acronyms are OfA and OfS?
>>
>>9599308
>in Oracle I'm not even tested yet on the action department
Seasons is supposed to be one of the "hardest" of the series (after the NES games). Maybe you just got better or something. I replayed LA recently and it's super easy.
>>
>>9599285
>I'm missing something?
That's just what Zelda games are. Sorry you fell for the meme.
>>
>>9599308
>>9599349
I think Seasons doesn't really get "hard" until around the fifth or sixth dungeon and even then it's easier than ALttP. The other Gameboy Zeldas are actually more or less the same way. LA is probably the hardest of the three if you don't abuse bomb arrows or the boomerang.
>>
>>9599285
no just quit playing it
>>
>>9599328
Oracle f Ages. Oracle f Seasons. It's not rocket syence.
>>
>>9599482
Based joker
>>
>>9599328
>>9599482
covid made me unironically dyslexic
>>
File: 1624679439106.jpg (7 KB, 250x233)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>9599328
this thread gets one big OfA from me, i'll tell you that much
>>
>>9599285
>I’m missing something?
Yes, your missing taste.
>>
seasons is kicking my ass currently, literally the dark souls of the gameboy color
>>
Is there a canon order in which to play these games?
>>
>>9601897
Seasons -> Ages (with the password you get by completing Seasons)
But if you're a completionist you're going to play through each game twice, because some events are a bit different depending on which game you played first.
Link's Awakening is unrelated, so you can play it whenever you want.
>>
>>9601934
That shit was pure cash-grab, Pokémon style. Two complimentary games that should've been one from the beggining. I'm amazed Nintendo hasn't tried this stunt again.
>>
>>9601942
>Two complimentary games
here's some trivia: they originally were planned to be three fucking games.
>>
>>9602004
lmao! Are you serious? Seems like Nintendo was heading for a record there. Thankfully, a little (not much) common sense was used.
>>
File: ganny_oracles.jpg (127 KB, 902x1600)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>9602028
Unlike Pokemon the games are actually entirely different though. Different story, mechanics, items and world. Iirc the third one would've had based Crenando here
>>
>>9601809
Shut the fuck up, pussy.
>>
>>9600851
this
>>
>>9599285
>why are these games made by a contracted B-team not as good as the A-team classics
>>
>>9599285
It's not just you. The Oracle games are similar to Link's Awakening on the surface, but they're not nearly as thoughtfully crafted. Seasons is by far the better of the two, but it's still pretty mediocre, especially compared to the Zelda games that came before it.
>>
>>9602929
i trusted in capcom...
>>
>>9602048
Im a fan of this design.
>>
File: image.png (59 KB, 480x459)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>9599308
akshually ofa and ofs are capcom zeldas
>>
I recently finished LA for the first time. I loved the game but the ending was lame as fuck, the worst use of it was all just a dream that I have ever seen in any media.

Are these two better in this regard?
>>
>>9603316
The Oracle games don't really have plot twists like that, with Seasons especially being very light on plot.
>>
>>9603316
Wind Fish flying in the sky and Marin turning into a seagull confirm it wasn't a dream.
>>
You described my experience, OP
>>
>>9602028
It was Capcom trying to squeeze as much as they could from the deal.
>>
>>9604064
That doesn't confirm shit. The wind fish is a god like deity. It just used magic on her.
>>
>>9604064
The WF was the one dreaming and Marin was a seagull that also got caught in the dream.
>>
>>9604541
>no
>acknowledges Marin's existence
>>
>>9605343
Interesting perspective. That would harmonize the conflicting information pretty well.
>>
I’m three dungeons into Seasons. When do I get filtered?
>>
>>9605806
Never. Seasons is the easy one.
>>
File: rosa.png (496 KB, 446x438)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
>that is a pretty bow, wanna be my boyfriend?
>>
>>9599285
The Oracles games are ridiculously overrated. They're not fun. None of the Capcom Zeldas are good, really.
>>
>>9605837
Better than pretty much every Zelda Nintendo made afterwards.
>>
>>9605546
Not him, but I agree with that theory and also think every person and non-evil animal (especially the talking ones) are real people and animals caught in the Wind Fish's dream. Ending the dream doesn't kill everyone on Koholint, it actually frees them. The Nightmare was deceiving you into thinking the Koholint residents would die when only the Nightmare was threatened by the dream ending while everyone else was trapped in the dream like Link but didn't realize it.
>>
>>9605843
All made by the same people from Capcom that Nintendo hired on permanently, so no.
>>
>>9605856
>All made by the same people from Capcom
Not true.
>>
>>9605848
fucking japs and their dreamland bullshit, just let me get best girl and marry her for the rest of my life, pricks.
>>
>>9605859
Hot take: Marin is the Siren whose purpose was to tempt Link into staying in the dream forever.
>>
>>9605837
Only Minish Cap is crap.
>>
>>9605848
I like this, too. Where are the people from? Hyrule, other lands the Windfish has been to, or both?

>>9605873
But she wants to leave it.
>>
>>9605915
>But she wants to leave it.
Dreams can be unpredictable, even for the Wind Fish.
>>
>>9605806
Tomorrow. You can play at ease for today.
>>
The only problem with OfA is that it has some ineffective usage of the map space, despite implementing the change mechanic from ALttP
And that some of the quest triggers are wonky.

The dungeons and bosses are great.
But I wish more dungeons had a present and past version.

>>9602028
>>9602004
Capcom, but yes.
The only reason we got 2 games is that they could not make Secrets fleshed out enough to progress it into a full game.
>>
>>9606490
>And that some of the quest triggers are wonky.
The overuse of extremely specific scripted triggers for every tiny goddamn thing is what made me drop that game, I couldn't fucking stand it.
>>
>>9606490
>they could not make Secrets fleshed out enough to progress it into a full game
Also the difficulty of connecting all three games. Apparently a lot of the stuff from the third game (which had a color based gimmick) ended up in Ages as a result, which is probably why Seasons feels so "simple" in comparison.
>>
>>9607351
There were also plans for a remake of Zelda 1 in the LA engine, which got scrapped. It's why the Oracle games and especially Seasons has so many Z1 callbacks like the dungeon bosses and the hidden old men who will either take or give Rupees when you meet them.
>>
>>9607675
>>9606490
They should have just made Secrets the Zelda 1 remake that continues off the 2 games in one familiar adventure.
But who knows, thet might do it
>>
File: 1670798294121531.png (125 KB, 469x470)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>9608060
>each game has its own final boss
>each pair of games has its own secret final boss
>have to connect each pair of games to face all the secret final bosses
>have to beat all the secret bosses and connect all three games to face the super secret true final boss
>>
>>9608109
>super secret true final boss
it's just Ganon again.
>>
they are both shit
>>
zelda bros I have a link to the past (GBA) and minish cap, plus the 3DS zelda games
I also have the first two available. Zelda 1 was pretty fucking hard if I'm being honest and I may have been filtered.
Really loved the N64 ones and ww though.
Where to start with 2D zelda?
>>
>>9608269
Link to the Past is a good entry point for 2D Zelda. Then do Link's Awakening after that, imo.
>>
>>9599285
Oracle f ages? Oracle f seasons? Of ages, of seasons? Get your acronyms straight nigger
>>
>>9608750
OfA deez nuts
>>
Zelda Oracle of Ages Pleb Filter Many People is the most Hard Zelda Game after Adventure of Link
>>
>>9608750
fuck off, already apologized. Besides, a lot of anons used it in this thread too so I don't know whats with that
>>
>>9608952
It's funny, like a little running joke for the thread.
>>
File: marin.png (178 KB, 308x586)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>9605848
That's a cool take.
My headcanon was that the living beings in Wind Fish's dream were real living beings, but whose purpose would be to act as unaware actors in Wind Fish's dreams, and they would change into completely different beings with different personalities and memories from dream to dream.
In my sequel idea Wind Fish would somehow dream of Koholint Island again and Marin would grow awareness of who and where she is so she would attempt to escape before having her identity wiped for another dream.
DethI Is an outsider evil being who is trying to take control of Wind Fish in order to use it's powers in the real world and wasn't completelly killed by Link.
>>
File: 9312003224_65d0f8327b_b.jpg (318 KB, 924x1023)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
Just since this is a LA thread now, as sad as it is I really like that Link is the only "real" person in the dream. Idk how it fits into the dumb timeline, but you get the sense Link is on his way to do something important before he gets shipwrecked and Koholint is just this very ideal little paradise where he could just relax instead of worrying about being a hero, but instead he chooses to try and leave and get back to heroing. Eventually he finds out that that means the other inhabitants might disappear, but from what one of the owl statues say I think it's also implied his real body is still underwater and he will drown if he chooses not to still leave. A lot of the inhabitants of the island really don't seem to have a concept of a world beyond the island, or a time before their "now". That's also why I like Marin telling Link that he has to remember her song, because in the end after Link wakes up you hear it, and I've always seen that as Link remembering her, which is what makes her real. Like a kind "all good things must come to an end" moral, like the feeling of how your hometown might not feel as homey anymore now that all this time has past and your not a kid. Be happy it happened, not sad that its over. Very melancholy (but I'm a sap who likes that kinda stuff)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.