[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pokémon_Yellow_cover.png (438 KB, 500x496)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>game becomes pretty much nonlinear after exiting Rock Tunnel

They absolutely nailed it first try
>>
>>9583279
kino fat rat
>>
>>9583279
>constant random encounters with insulting combat
Epic game
>>
>149 pokemon avaliable after obtaining surf
Kanto has one of the best region designs
>>9583298
What are repels?
>>
>>9583310
149? Didn't Yellow have missing mons too like Red/Blue? Should be like 135 (maybe less counting choices like hitmon/eevee evos)
>>
File: surf-pikachu.gif (1.43 MB, 498x359)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
surf's up
>>
>>9583285
>always thought the name Pikachu was a reference to pikas, the small subalpine rodents
>learned recently that the animals' name is primarily pronounced "pai-ka", and that Pikachu's name is just a blending of some Japanese verbal sound effects
All my self-satisfaction... gone, like tears in a hydro pump...
>>
>>9583346
who gives a shit about the origin of the name?

PIKA GO BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>9583317
Use control pad to surf rad!
>>
>>9583346
>some Japanese verbal sound effects
pikapika
Which means 'with a sparkle'. I have no idea why not biribiri.
>>
>>9583279
Pikachu kind of sucks as a starter though. Bulbasaur is much better
>>
This one's probably still my favorite Pokemon game.
>>
>>9583279
I miss playing this and crystal with my friends after school. Wish I could go back
>>
Is Yellow the best first gen version or is it a meme version? Thinking about playing genwun finally (after years of being a huge pokketo-monsta fan), and I'm still undecided on which version to pick.
>>
>>9584270
If you have anyone to trade with then Red and Blue are fine and closer to a "normal" experience. If you don't have anyone else to play the other version then Yellow might be better since you'll at least have all three starters.
>>
>>9584270
>>9584292
Being able to get all three starters spoils Yellow for me, call it autism but to me one of the key things about Pokemon was choosing your starter out of the three water/fire/grass, and basing the rest of your team around that. Obviously, you don't NEED to use all three starters in Yellow, but then why wouldn't you if the game just hands them over? They're going to be better options than others, so why not. It just kind of spoils things for me, making your character just the most fortunate trainer in the world as if he was the protagonist of an anime adaption...oh wait, well yeah
>>
>>9584292
Alright so yellow it is
>>
>>9584270
I'd recommend playing one of the OG international versions instead. The gym leaders are a bit better designed (Sabrina and Koga suffer from being redone to fit the anime), the rival has a better team (and he's the final boss), and as cute as it is fighting Jesse and James repeatedly, they get rid of some better fights.

Look at the international Red and Blue games and decide which set of version exclusives you like more. I'm torn myself or I'd tell you (I like Pinsir, Sandslash, and Persian from Blue but also Electabuzz, Vileplume, and Arcanine from Red). That said, if you do go with Yellow, it's not a meme.
>>
>>9584376
Well i played fr/lg to death so Yellow seems like a fresh experience then
>>
>>9584418
I would go for yellow then.
>>
File: xmulu1f6urt11.jpg (38 KB, 945x819)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>9583279
>they nailed it first try
>posts third try (after Red/Green and [Red/]Blue)
wat
>>9584270
>Is Yellow the best first gen version or is it a meme version?
It's..kind of, strangely, both. It's a "some steps forward, some steps back" kind of deal. In hindsight, I'd say Yellow is at least a unique wrench in the typical 'mon formula, so play it if you want something a bit different from the usual.
>>
File: PokemonBRGvsY.png (34 KB, 320x720)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>9584270
If you're emulating, go with B/R with Super Game Boy colours (left column). Those look better than Yellow's colours imo.
>>
>>9584270
Play Blue or Red and Yellow later if you feel like it.
B/R does some things better some worse but it's the ultimate gen 1 experience imo.

Different story for gen 2, you can play Crystal and get everything S/G did and more.
>>
>>9585284
Yellow is SGB-compatible too, and is close if not identical to Red/Green/Blue in SGB mode. Yellow sucks in GBC mode because it was rushingly tacked on to the Western release and wasn't there in the Japanese release. Though, maybe Nintendo was on to something, because if you casually look through YouTube you'll see many braindead idiots play Red/Blue in GBC default settings instead of SGB mode, and you don't see too many people complaining that Crystal removed SGB support. If you're emulating, just make sure your emulator is set to an actual SGB(2) mode and not a phony "GBC palette w/SGB borders" setting that N64 Stadium for some reason uses.
>>
>>9585305
How do you get the special SGB colours with Gambatte? When I set it to SGB mode, it just looks like this.
>>
>>9585316
Try mGBA, i don't know if Gambatte supports SGB
>>
>>9583854
Brock is really the only struggle, and you can just get a Mankey.
>>
>>9583854
>Pikachu kind of sucks as a starter though

This is really why its cool, though. A dumb kid gets Pikachu and thinks he's gonna be Ash only to be curbstomped by the game mechanics and pressured into actually getting other Pokemon and leveling them up. And you realize how a lot of the game is meant to have a balanced team as well, as a lower leveled mankey or nidoran can hold its own with Onix.

You really won't have that hard a time in RB with any of the three starters. One Charmander has ember he can power through Onix because the special stat isn't properly balanced, and Bide is a normal type move. I've done runs of RB where I just get Charmander and mash A almost the entire game and win. It takes grinding, sure, but its nothing impossible for a kid, which is why so many kids had teams that were anchored on a ridiculously leveled starter.
>>
>>9583854
Why the FUCK can't you evolve it?!
>>
>>9585498
>This is really why its cool, though.
It annoyed me more than anything.

>useless at the start of the game
>putting it into the box makes it angry
>if you do so, its not happy enough to get the bulbasaur
>can't even make it evolve

It's bad at the start cuz Brock, okay in mid game and bad in end game as you can't evolve it.
>>
>>9585305
I could never get the SGB colours to work using emulators of all sorts in Yellow, it would always default to GBC colours (as you pointed out), hence my recommendation
>>
>>9585437
You can cheesy him with tail whip+quick attack+potions (you can stack up to six at that point for free) at lvl.13 or something, extra cheesy with double team, pretty sure Pika can get one-shoted by a lot of things later on the game tho
>>
>>9585513
Because Ash is a pussyfoot.
>>
Silver and Gold is where the sprites started to look really good but having the Yellow Version and Pokemon Stadium as a kid was a certain kind of bliss. Yellow version was such a great revision for a returning player. You got all the starters after a certain point and the difficulty was ramped up just because your started was gimped badly at the beginning.

I remember being worried about how I was going to beat Brock when I got the game. I think you can catch a mankey next to viridian city which makes Onix a complete non-issue. Point being it heavily discouraged the typical play style of relying on your starter through the whole game. All of them kind of became invincible after a certain point in the game, not so much with pikachu.
>>
>>9585513
You can actually, though I never did because I wanted surfing pikachu and actually got it through pokemon stadium. There was either a trick through the stadium transfer system or you had to trade it I don't remember, maybe both? Then you could evolve it.
>>
>>9584270
Yellow has
-Pikachu following you
-Rival gets Eevee
-Better graphics
-You can get Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander in 1 playthrough
-Bonus Team Rocket fights

Besides that, it's basically the same game. If you want the more "pure" experience, with selectable starters, go with the original.
>>
>>9584270
Yellow isn't bad but it's not the definitive gen 1 experience like the other 3rd versions. If you have the luxury of choice do Red or Blue.
>>
File: mankey.png (31 KB, 982x685)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>9584270
Anime additions don't get into way. If you don't like them you could easily ignore them. It's basically an upgraded version of RGB. You get to have a Mankey early on. It is the reason to play Yellow.
However, I wouldn't necessarily say the best version.
>>9585305
>Though, maybe Nintendo was on to something
You have to pay for SGB. You have to have an SNES. You have to use TV. Adding GBC mode was a great idea.
Honestly, I think DMG looks the best. Other than Pokemon sprites nothing is enhanced with color.
>>
File: 1673665584900860.png (49 KB, 220x161)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>9583854
playing on baby mode
>>
>>9584270
If you're just gonna play one then yeah, Yellow. I think if you want more that you should play one of the other versions and enjoy the wonkier sprites and slightly different story beats.
>>
File: yellow.png (8 KB, 512x448)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>9585523
Seems to work just fine on VBA if you simply set options > game boy > emulated system to SGB. Definitely has the softer colors.
>>
>>9586268
>playing on baby mode
The master would not approve.
>>
>puzzle league, yellow and stadium all use ash's likeness
>dropped after 5th gen
what happened
>>
I'm still a big fan of Gen 1 games, whether you play them on original carts with all the buggy nonsense, patched to correct the glaring issues, or hacked to hell and back. It's a fun sandbox with enough variety to impose your own limitations. I'm doing a run of Blue where I do zero captures and zero free Pokemon outside of my starter. Means I had to start with Bulbasaur so I could get cut and then I had to buy Magikarp, Abra, and Pinsir. I traded Abra for Mr. Mime since I use Alakazam too much in every other run I do. I might go farm some more coins for Dratini and Porygon or I might just go full retard and finish the game with the four dudes I have. Yeah, I won't have access to flash, dig, or fly. Yeah, my team is going to be at a disadvantage with a few HM's eating space. Like I care. I'll murder every Snorlax and legendary for extra experience and chug potions if that's what it takes.
>>
>>9584270
>Is Yellow the best first gen version or is it a meme version
this is actually an interesting question with interesting replies. for some reason blue / red just feel like the more pure experience. I loved the cartoon as a kid, so seeing in game jessie and james with ekans, koffing, and meowth was awesome. Seeing brock, misty, officer jenny, nurse joy, and chansey is cool. Gary getting an eevee is stupid though. They should have just given him the squirtle like the show. For me its pokemon red. How can you not go with the fire dragon?
>>
>>9586861
>officer jenny, nurse joy,
Should have became parts of the future games as well. Too bad Game Freak makes stupid decisions.
>>
>>9586861
>They should have just given him the squirtle like the show.
They couldn't have, because the show didn't establish Gary's starter until the Johto arc. It's just one of the many plots the anime set up ("What's his starter? What will he use when he and Ash finally fight?") and then promptly forgot about.
>>
>>9583346
Pai-ka-powned.
>>
>>9583279
>Rock Tunnel
Pretty sure you could skip Lt.Surge before then. As well as it was up to you if you went through diglett cave and back to kanto. After SS Anne the world feels pretty open for you to explore and do in your order. Even your choice of which snorlax you fell.
>>
File: bgb00055.png (3 KB, 160x144)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Last time I mentionned how unlinear RBY could be, I think it was on a pokémon general at /vg/, several people told me I was a full retard and the entire game is linear

Hell every time I play the game, once I get to Lavander, I always try to do dungeons/gyms/routes in a different order.

Last time I played the game it was Japanese Blue, I went to get Surf ASAP before doing anything else, avoiding as many trainers as possible, to go into Seafom Island and catch me a wild Jynx
>>
>>9587108
You do need gym badges to use the various HMs though
>>
>>9587108
if you wanna make it even more non-linear than use the pokedoll exploit to beat Lavender tower early, you can basically do whatever the fuck you want after that sequence break.
>>
File: Can_You_Play_Pokémon.png (111 KB, 250x317)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>9583346
It still may be a reference to the animal pika, as a double entendre. Japs do this all the time (because they're used to all the homophones in their language), and they've definitely have done it with a lot of other Pokemon besides Pikachu. Japs sometimes like to pronounce the English/Anglicized way, so they may be going off the English spelling (regardless of pronciation) so they can make the joke Electric ("pikapika"?) Mouse.
>>
>>9584270
I think it is. Its still got all that gen 1 jank of course but what I liked about it the most is you're forced to have Pikachu as your starter. Might seem dumb but I think its good you had no choice. That alone made me even more attached to wanting to keep the Pikachu in my party since he's meant to be your sidekick. You get the three original starters anyways in the adventure. Also the game is clearly called special pikachu edition. The game to me feels as if its the canon version of gen 1.
>>
>>9584292
he could also get a romhack that allows him to get all 151
>>
>>9584292
That's the problem with all the "third versions" though - you always have to trade with both of the earlier versions to 100% your collection instead of just the other one. Probably the reason they were eventually phased out.
>>
Gen 1 has its issues, sure, but the nonlinearity is one of the best parts of that game. I still replay this one the most despite all the jank.
>>
>>9584270
Why did you spell "Gen 1" like that?
>>
>>9584270
https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered
This is the best way to play the originals, short of the actual hardware experience.
>>
>>9586809
I think gamefreak didn't want anyone to feel beholden to any of the adaptation's characters as being "right", encouraging kids to play Pokemon their way, pick their own Pokemon, instead of just being like Ash/Satoshi or manga Red or any other Pokespe protags.
This is why all the theories of what Red's personality is like is missing the point to me. Sure, the fan interpretation of Red as this jaded, serious trainer filled with ennui who travels to the furthest regions of the map to contemplate is a cool idea that makes for cool art. But GF seems to have intended to make Red's party one that doesn't make any presumptions about the player's choices. If its Red from yellow, you know he gets the starters/Pikachu
If your team beating the E4 was one overleveled Blastoise and the rest Pikachu, a level 20 Nidorina, a Graveller, and a few otherunderleveled randos, it was just as canon as someone winning with a team of all Legendaries/ubers
Red's team is all Pokemon you were given (and Snorlax, who you need to encounter) in Yellow. Espeon is there so no one takes any of the three RBY Eeveelutions as the "right" choice , and it shows that Red is such a good trainer his Pokemon evolved though his good friendshion(plus, call it autism, but I thought him having an Espeon was a cheeky reference to Gen 1 not having a night time)
The point was it was 3 years later, so most people could have the Pokemon like Red's team. They aren't necessarily the Pokemon he beat the E4 with, given that other returning trainers from the past changed their teams.
>>
>>9583279
take me back anon
>>
>>9587113
Yes but there's only five HMs. Fly is completely optional and Strength isn't needed until Victory Road (though it unlocks Articuno as well). Flash is sorta optional, but Brock unlocks it so nothing short of a glitched playthrough is ever gonna have a problem with that. Cut is mandatory to get past Cerulean, but Misty unlocks it. Surf only matters for optional stuff, getting to Victory Road, and Cinnabar - and Koga unlocks it. As such, you can fight Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, and Sabrina in *any* order and can fight Blaine at any point in the line-up so long as it's after Koga. Frankly, the Rockets are a bigger enforcer of linearity than the gyms - you need to clear out the HQ to get the Scope and the Tower to get the Flute.
>>
>>9587987
You can bypass getting the Silph Scope by using a Poke Doll to get past Marowak.
>>
File: captcha.png (2 KB, 235x81)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>9586861
the way his Eevee evolves based on the W-L of the first few battles is way cooler than a static starter
>>
>>9583279
i've never played a pokemon game. which one should i play?
>>
>>9588249
>which one should i play?
red/blue
They're just derivative autism bait, cashgrabs, and reskinned non-pokemon games after that.
>>
>>9588249
it doesn't matter much. I would start with Red/Blue for the history. but Pokemon is like sports games and racing games, it might be best to just play the newest one
>>
>>9588202
Yeah but that's clearly a glitch.
>>
>>9588249
If you want to play for historic reasons, as >>9588278 noted, Red/Blue would be better. That's the one most fans are familiar with (but less so over time), so you'd understand classic/nostalgic references, including to the original anime. It might feel too slow or dated now, though.
If you want to experience the gameplay in a refined state, I'd skip to a 3rd gen game (as far as I've gone), maybe FireRed or LeafGreen (doesn't matter which), which are remakes of Red/Blue, respectively. Because they're remakes you'd also get most of the big picture elements of the original games, though obviously the experience will vary in a number of ways.
It's definitely playing one to get an idea of why the series is so popular, but the gameplay is highly derivative and the franchise is mostly wasted opportunity, as >>9588270 pointed out.
>>
>>9585513
Trade it to another game, evolve it there, and trade back. Also, trading it to any Gen2 game gets you a Light Ball.
>>
>>9586883
>>9586883
>the show didn't establish Gary's starter until the Johto arc
aha wow I had to rewatch the first episode to check. you're right gary and oak don't actually reveal what gary picked
>>9588246
>the way his Eevee evolves based on the W-L of the first few battles is way cooler than a static starter
ahhh you think so? I dunno I'd have actually prefered it to be random. like in theory it's cool, but in practice I no one loses those first few battles so his pick is pretty much the same unless you're actively losing on purpose or eevee goes fucking ham with crits.
>>
>>9586883
I don't think Gary was ever seen having a single Pokemon fight in the Kanto arc. He only ever showed up on occasions to rub Ash's nose into the dirt with how cool he was, as he was hosting parties, digging up fossils dressed as Indiana Jones, and always traveling with cheerleaders. Then Johto happens and suddenly he's this elusive master trainer who wanders the region alone.
>>
>>9587987
I definitely got through Rock Tunnel many times blind, without Flash. I loved doing that stuff in Gen 1, you could absolutely make the experience unique each time you played.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE1R1Q8jgIQ
gary motherfucking oak. what a chad
>>
>>9586170
>better graphics
wrong. the grass looks worse it looks like a cheap fan hack. some pokemon sprites look worse. sprites were redone, yes. most of the time red/blue is better.

>>9584270
the best version is red/blue, whichever you prefer. the pikachu scream on yellow just sounds off, many sprites are inferior. play on the super game boy.
>>
I couldn't stand Kanto in Pokemon Gold, I had no idea where to go and it just felt empty. Also the pokemon being like level 20 when mine are already above 50 made it so fucking boring, I'd 1 hit k.o every pokemon with any movement.
>>
File: 1666338802257.png (7 KB, 480x483)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
shit like this really makes it hard to like Gen 1
>>
>>9589293
>he doesn't know you have to change boxes, because he didn't play the original games first
Not the games problem

Also I don't know if you know this, anon. But you only need 6 Pokemon. I have no idea what joy you would get out of catching any more than 6 Pokemon on an adult playthrough, the only purpose of catching them all as a kid is bragging rights
>>
>>9589370
He didn't say he doesn't know what to do. You're going to run into it eventually unless you keep track of how many pokemon you've caught in your head.

>I have no idea what joy you would get out of catching any more than 6 Pokemon on an adult playthrough,
You don't even need 6. You can breeze through the game with 1.
I'm not sure how spamming your STAB attacks the entire game is more fun than catching the pokemon. People can play how they want.
>>
>>9589293
Yes, you need to be aware of this beforehand. Each PC box can only hold 20 Pokemon, and you need to check them and manually change them before they fill up. Same with items, you can only carry 20. You need to keep track and deposit your items in the PC. But the PC can only hold 50 items, so you may need to sell or toss some, or store them in Pokemon Stadium 2 with a Transfer Pak.
>>
>>9589370
I actually never bothered to catch them all as a kid, but I finally did this past year when I played through Blue for the first time in many years. I found it to be pretty fun honestly. Then I played through Stadium on both rounds with my teams and had a blast.

I like having a lot of leveled up Pokemon in my boxes too because when my kids want to battle in Stadium we have a variety of Pokemon to choose from. Then I can make weird or trash choices and make it a bit more challenging. I will admit that once I did everything I ended up just modifying the save to level up the other Pokemon.
>>
>>9589370
what part of my post even implied that I didn't know how to change boxes you drooling retard
the box system is a complete mess in gen 1 and that's just a fact
>>
>>9589448
You're being a drama queen.
"a complete mess"
Having to manually change boxes takes like 5 seconds, there are Pokemon centers at every major stop in the game. You're just an ADHD zoomer.
>>
>>9589293
How did you let that happen to yourself? The boxes hold 20 Pokemon and you pass through Pokecenters constantly. I don't know where you could have gone to catch 20 new pokeys in one stretch, so I'm assuming you just forgot to swap out for a while.
But I bet you won't forget again after this little mistake, so now you've fully come to terms with this issue. You missed out on 1 Pokemon because of it, and it shouldn't bite you again. Is that enough to damn all of Gen 1? I think not.
>>
File: 1636912015699.jpg (7 KB, 291x204)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>9589293
I love gen 1 and 2 but yeah the PC system is aids and I never want to have much more than my team of 6 pokemon because of it

I usually balk at QOL babby patches but if anyone ever managed to hack in gen 3's pokemon storage UI into Gen 1 and 2 games I'd never look back.
>>
When me and my friends got the box is full message it would disproportionately be when we'd encountered a rare or legendary pokemon. In and out of safari zone for two hours for a scyther or tauros then that happens.
>>
>>9583279
Pokemon r.o.w.e is the best pokemon game hands down.
t. Genwunner
>>
>>9586129
Theres an IPS patch to port the silver/gold sprites to yellow
>>
File: polished crystal.png (29 KB, 480x288)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>9589551
Polished Crystal has an improved PC system. Though it makes many other changes you may not be interested in, and the latest version is still beta.
Red++ is planned to do the same for gen 1, but the new version still seems a long way off.
>>
Is there any reason to play the original blue/red over firered or leafgreen? I've been playing leafgreen and it's pretty much the same thing but with better graphics/sprites and bonus content.
>>
>>9588249
Any game from Pokemon Generatioms 1 to 4 are pretty solid. Red/Blue or Ruby/Sapphire are my suggestions.
>>
>>9583279
No, then you will be underleveled, then after thag the rest of the game is too easy
I go with the intended order every time
>>
>>9590438
Play the originals for the glitches, the single special stat, the graphics, the music, the original move lists and the simplicity.

I played Blue a few years ago and am playing FireRed now and I am missing how overpowered Psychic Pokemon were in Gen1
>>
>>9590484
Psychic is just as overpowered in FRLG as it is in RBY.
>>
>>9585513
because it was a cash grab designed to take advantage of the show's popularity and thus it sticks as closely to the show as it can

>>9585437
Also both versions of Nidoran learn double kick at 12 in the yellow version
>>
>>9590679
but they're weak to Bite and Crunch
>>
>>9590793
It makes Rattata slightly more threatening, but it's not enough to dethrone them.
>>
>>9589370
What a shit retarded take.
>>
>>9589370
> I have no idea what joy you would get out of catching any more than 6 Pokemon on an adult playthrough

I was 10 years old when I first played the game, and I ALWAYS caught several of the same mon to choose the best one for my team. I didn't know it came from "IVs", but I knew each mon was slightly unique, since it's explicitly told in the game.

Point is, even with just a team of 6, you may end up with a box full of rejects.
>>
>>9590829
Seems like overkill, unless you were consistently battling your friends at recess or whatever.
>>
>>9589370
>it's fine since you don't need more than 6 pokemon :)
jfc
>>
>>9590884
You don't. And don't pretend that clicking Sleep Powder and throwing an Ultra Ball to catch the next monster in the checklist is fun. Catching 'em all was only ever bragging rights on the playground.
>>
File: philip-combs-bombchu-x.jpg (92 KB, 1080x1080)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>9583346
>>9587395
Wait, I thought "chu" meant "mouse" or something because of Pikachu and bombchu's from Zelda.
>>
>>9590935
Chu is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a mouse squeak.
>>
File: 1644394801824.png (211 KB, 500x378)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>9583346
fat rat
>>
>>9583314
>Didn't Yellow have missing mons too like Red/Blue?
yeah, it did. can't let you get away with only buying one game afterall
>>
File: misty.jpg (51 KB, 638x700)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>9591142
You can, if you have friends who own the other games and a link cable.
>>
I remember in blue one time i tried to do the missingno glitch and when i was on the coast of cinnabar island i found a glitched aerodactyl that i caught and his level would decrease every time he levelled up. as a kid, i thought that was the coolest shit
>>
>>9591169
I did have friends with the other game and we traded over the cable. still pissed me off that you couldn't catch 'em all in a self contained game. i especially hated that the cool mons like machamp, alakazam, and gengar were explicitly gated behind trading. always had to find someone who could trade like for like because no way we trusted the other kid to give him back afterwards
>>
>>9591171
Yeah they go back to lvl100, pretty amazing the game had a failsafe in place like that including reverting back the stats.

A missingnod lvl100 mon is pretty weak compared to a mon you trained yourself to that level though. iirc it was the equivalent of lvl 75-80.
>>
>>9591191
probably because of the hidden effort value stat
>>
>>9590884
No, it's fine because the only reason it's a "bad" game mechanic is because braindead zoomer fucks who played the later games first went back to the originals and complained. Same retards who can't play Super Metroid cause the "contwols r too hawd" compared to the GBA ones even though it's extremely minor.

I'm just saying, being an adult and collecting more Pokemon than you need to beat the game is pointless anyway. You're not going to do anything with those Pokemon, and you don't get anything worthwhile in the game for collecting them. If you just want to waste time, I guess that's as valid a reason as any, but still pretty pointless.
>>
>>9591179
You sound like an AI.
>>
>>9590793
Dark is still an all-Special type in Gen3 and most Psychics have enough Sp. Defense to handle a couple Bites, while Pokemon that have Crunch are too few in number to be useful.
>>
>>9590921
Someone's never played a Nuzlocke.
>>
>>9589370
I can acquire bragging rights as an adult you utter autist.
>>
>>9592596
The only remakes I can stomache are HeartGold and SoulSilver, and I suspect that was helped by the fact I didn't play Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or Crystal. The problem I have with the remakes is that they make the series feel even more samey than they already are, and I have no earthly clue why people lap them up. I want each generation to feel DIFFERENT, like the technological progress MEANS something. They're mainly ROM hacks of the current gen, and seeing the same assets get reused is downright exhausting.
>>9592613
Fucking apply yourself, man.
>>
File: you will own nothing.gif (2.41 MB, 225x255)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB GIF
>>9589370
>>
>>9585519
But the thing is, we're not little kids anymore and trying to imitate the anime where you're chained to Pikachu isn't the point. I've replayed Yellow and just boxed pikachu after getting bulbasaur.
>>
>>9588754
You can't ignore his girth
>>
>>9591368
>I'm just saying, being an adult and collecting more Pokemon than you need to beat the game is pointless anyway. You're not going to do anything with those Pokemon, and you don't get anything worthwhile in the game for collecting them. If you just want to waste time, I guess that's as valid a reason as any, but still pretty pointless.
I capture extra guys here and there so I can have more variety for goofy Stadium runs. It's not so bad when you split it across several runs. You get more TM's and items that way, too.
>>9591584
>You sound like an AI.
NTA but I once traded a level 25 Haunter for a level 70 Haunter and was too lazy to trade back, so the threat was very real at the time. I'm better as an autist now since I trade with myself.
>>
>>9584270
Play all four at the same time in tandem with Stadium
>>
>>9591841
Also, they didn't change any Gen 1 Pokemon to be Dark like how Magnemite became Steel. Since FRLG refuses to let you have any Pokemon not in the first game, you can't obtain a Dark type to make use of their Psychic immunity. It's such a missed opportunity.
>>
>>9593401
> too lazy to trade back,

bro its pressing a button.
>>
>>9593450
You're underestimating how shitty of a child I was.
>>
File: 1650780307630.png (248 KB, 267x373)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>>9583279
>game is basically a hallway for most of the game
Why do people praise this trash?
>>
>>9594607
Presentation goes a long way
>>
>>9590679
Not even close. Splitting the special stat made many of the psychics much more frail. The actual move psychic had a 1/3 chance to drop the opposing pokemons special stats instead of the 1/10 to just drop special defense. Dark and Steel now exist which where introduced with the intention of balancing out the other types, which includes nerfing psychic. Actually useable bug type moves(megahorn, signal beam, silver wind) give more options to do super effective damage against them. It's just not the same.
>>
>>9590438
The balance is completely different and RBY have a shitton of glitches to have fun with. FRLG are a lot easier to play if you've never played a jank old RPG but I don't think they obsolete RBY.
>>
>>9594809
Shadow Ball is more effective on Psychics in FR/LG than any Dark attack.
>>
>>9585437
monkey
>>
>>9590304
Holy fuck that looks amazing.
>>
>>9598395
Yeah it's a really advanced hack that does all kinds of things.
https://github.com/Rangi42/polishedcrystal/blob/master/FEATURES.md
The main problem is that it adds some new Pokemon, but the game has a technical limitation of 253 total Pokemon, so some gen 1-2 Pokemon were removed to make space. The upcoming version is fixing this and increasing the limit to like 500+, but it's been in the works a long time.
Red++ is also waiting for that update because it'll be using it as a base, so it'll have the same improvements for gen 1, plus adding all of Johto as postgame.
>>
>>9598934
>Spearow, Fearow, Lickitung, Goldeen, Seaking, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Shuckle, Aipom, Stantler, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Smoochum, and Delibird.

I mean it's hard to be too miffed about losing some of these but I gotta admit I don't see why Pichu, Magby, Elekid, and maybe even Tyrogue weren't on the chopping block before Fearow and Shuckle.
>>
>>9583279
Non-linearity is a zoomer meme
There is nothing wrong with a curated experience that a linear game tries to offer
>>
>>9599256
not in a monster catching game all about exploring and finding mons and trading and battling
>>
>>9583346
>not tears in a rain dance
ONE FUCKING JOB
>>
>>9587108
Pokemon fans are permanently mindbroken due to the "genwunners" boogieman and Kanto pandering.
>>
>>9599256
it's open world that's the new meme, nothin wrong with non-linearity
nothin wrong with linearity either
>>
What moves to give to Gengar?
>>
>>9600738
>>
>>9600743
Give it Psychic, you can get it from Saffron (TM29)
>>
>>9588249
play Pokemon Fire Red then play Soul silver
Trust me.
>>
Why were missing balls a thing in gen 1?
>>
>>9600812
No idea. That happened to me with all the legendaries as well as Chansey in the Safari Zone for some reason. Still caught them after throwing several balls
>>
>>9600812
Balls missing were treated the same way as the number of times a ball shakes before the pokemon breaks free. In gen 1 that animation is actually related to the pokemon's current catch chance, and the ball missing completely basically means the catch chance is about as low as possible, which is why you're most often going to see balls missing if you just huck plain pokeballs at a legendary bird or a chansey,
>>
Is Thunderbolt a better move over Night Shade for Gengar? Night Shade if I remember right from Stadium 2 Academy its that it's set damage.
>>
>>9598934
>>>>9599128
>The upcoming version is fixing this and increasing the limit to like 500+, but it's been in the works a long time.

You can download the 9bit beta in the discord right now. The version with no missing Pokemon has been available for over a year.
>>
>>9601689
>Is Thunderbolt a better move over Night Shade for Gengar?
I'd say yes.
Night Shade does damage based on the user's level, so for example a level 50 would always do 50 HP damage. It also ignores type so it can never be super effective.
>>
Should I dropped my Fearow for Zapdos?
>>
>>9583279
>head.
While i love RBY for nostalgic purposes and how important they were for the whole series as a baseline game, i much prefer FR AND LG for the lack of bag and storage capacity and special stat split/ added abilities + post game.
>>
>>9601918
That being said i’d much much rather play RBY than the let’s go remakes
>>
File: lookingoodstretched.jpg (168 KB, 1504x596)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>9601874
>>
>>9594809
>Splitting the special stat made many of the psychics much more frail.
This only really affected Alakazam, and he's going to be outspeeding and one-shotting everything anyway.
>The actual move psychic had a 1/3 chance to drop the opposing pokemons special stats instead of the 1/10 to just drop special defense.
Notable, but random and not a big deal.
>Dark and Steel now exist
Only the Magnemite line in single player, and not a single major trainer uses one.
>Actually useable bug type moves(megahorn, signal beam, silver wind)
Don't exist in the single player campaign.

You could seriously make the argument that the biggest nerf is fucking Bite becoming dark, since it's so ubiquitous.
>>
>>9602170
>You could seriously make the argument that the biggest nerf is fucking Bite becoming dark, since it's so ubiquitous
And so useless since it's still a Special attack and most Psychics have enough Sp. Def to tank one long enough to one-shot you.
>>
>>9590935
>>9590940
So pika (electric onomatopoeia) chu (mouse onomatopoeia).
>>
>>9588754
Back when anime was less gay and had cool rivalries in it (despite Ash being a faggot and loser throughout the whole series).
>>
>>9591191
You could also rare candy those glitch mons up to level 255. I had a 255 mewtwo with iirc 800 special stat and attack/def/speed all above 500
useless, but fun.
>>
>>9601920
That's what happens when playing Pokémon Stadium does with a device like an Upscaler to attempt to play it on modern monitor.
>>
>>9602362
Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>9602404
Hai.
>>
>>9600743
the lack of an actually good ghost move in gen 1 will never not make me angry, ditto making them part poison just to cuck their anti psychic capabilities further
>>
>>9602584
you could use them in link cable battles since you didn't gain experience from those. The schoolyard meta at my elementary school was entirely determined by which glitched mons you could catch.
>>
Yellow is cool and all but I remember when I was a kid and got it after playing Blue, that I thought it somehow felt like it controller weirder... it was very subtle but there was a difference.
And yeah, in recent years I learned that Yellow is indeed a bit slower than Red/Blue, not sure if because of the text boxes or the overall character walking speed, but speedrunners who race this game know this.
For playing Gen 1 for the first time I'd go with plain old Red or Blue, I prefer Blue for Meowth.
Also, if possible, play using Pokemon Stadium on N64 for item and pkmn management. And of course the awesome challenging cups that serve as post game after you beat the GB game.
>>
>>9602762
psychics are inmune to ghost in gen 1 anyway
>>
>>9602762
Same goes for bug pokemon, although I remember once having a Paras/Parasect which is bug/grass and has leech life which is a bug type move, and it did great against psychic types.

>>9602794
Are you sure? Isn't that normal types?
>>
>>9602823
yes, I am sure man, not that it matters that much since the very weak Lick is the only move affected by it
and leech life is horrible since it has a pitful base power, the only "decent" Bug moves in gen 1 are Twineedle and the inconsistent Pin Missile both tied to Beedrill, the worst Bug pokemon in the game
Jolteon gets Pin Missile too, which if funnily enough the best user of a Bug type move in the game
>>
>>9602823
There are no non-status Ghost-type moves in Gen 1.
>>
>>9602901
Lick is a damaging move that just so happens to randomly cause status.
>>
Replaying Gold, and the experience is a lot less linear than I remembered.Gyms 5-7 can be done in any order, sure, but you also have access to blackthorne after that but before finishing the Radio Tower

But holy shit, so many Pokemon movesets are just garbage. I want to use more Johnto pokemon, but ones like Heracross and Gligar have pathetic movesets
>>
>>9587108
there is no wild jynx you have to trade a poliwhirl for it in cerulean city
>>
>>9603680
Jynx is wild in Japan's Blue, the original "third version".
>>
>>9587501
It’s a /vp/ thing. Better to forget about it
>>
>>9583279
The only people who call gen 1 "non-linear" are people who are told "you can do the gyms in basically any order" and are too stupid to put any thought into it beyond that. Yes, you can walk out of certain towns without clearing the gyms, but you're still forced to visit the towns in a VERY specific order (discounting blatant sequence breaking like the Pokedoll thing):
>go to Celadon to visit Rocket Hideout
>return to Lavender Town to clear the tower
>Use the Pokeflute to move Snorlax and get to Fuscia City
>clear the Safari Zone and gym to get Surf
>Surf to Cinnabar
Saffron is the one exception. That can be done pretty much any time between clearing Pokemon Tower and the final badge.

But people are obsessed with putting the gym badges in a funny order.
>>
>>9603773
So, something gay and forced?
>>
>>9602934
Damn, I misremembered it to be Normal-type before Gen 2. Maybe I'm thinking of Bug-type moves. Are there any Bug-type moves in Gen 1 that do damage?
>>
>>9604051
Yes
>>
>>9594607
Uhhhhh new games bad
People need to remember all the Genius Sonority hacks are actually doing the new games to
3D pokemon always sucked (aside Stadium and Legends, but doesn't help much)
>>
>>9599950
>"genwunners" Boogeyman
How many nu-pokemon gimmick forms does Charizard has again?
>>
>>9585273
Yellow is the same gen tho. Don't act like it isn't.
>>
>>9605401
Besides the Gigantimax forms a bunch of others got, the only time charizard has gotten extra love in games as far as new forms in XY...10 years ago now. Nostalgia pandering old enough to have nostalgia over it.
>>
>>9583545
>we'll never get birichu
it fucking hurts so much bros...
>>
>>9605517
Charizard was the first 7-Star Tera Raid in Scarlet and Violet. The favoritism for it may come and go, but never truly dies.
>>
doesn't charizard have the most varied legal moveset out of every pokemon (except the ones that just learn EVERYTHING like Mew), due to how many times they've given out event charizards with special moves and shit
>>
>>9605615
nah, the average normal shitmon mogs it
>>
>>9587501
Newfag
>>
>>9605724
What's newfagging about asking about zoomer-rage memes?
>>
>>9605391
I hell enjoying legends and violet more than I have any right to be. I thought the galar region was trash though, still haven’t beaten it
>>
>>9605582
I still want gorochu, or just mega evolution raichu
>>
>>9605729
It's a meme they stole from the Transformers fandom from back in the day anyway
>>
>>9605615
I'm almost positive that would be Pikachu at this point, no?
>>
>>9587395
>Japs do this all the time (because they're used to all the homo
Bro you can't just say that out load
>>
>>9583279
>game becomes pretty much nonlinear after exiting Rock Tunnel
What things can you do in different orders? I don't recall any time where you can choose multiple gyms to go to or anything like that. There's some backtracking I think, but that's not what nonlinearity is, everything still has a specifically set order.
>>
>>9607309
Quite a bit
You don't actually need Lt. surge's badge until the last of the 7 before Giovanni
Once you get to Lavender you can go to Celadon, get a drink for the guards which opens up Saffron
You can beat the Fighting dojo/get the
You can also buy a Pokemon doll that you can throw at the Marowak ghost and get the Pokeflute before getting the Silph scope at the game corner
You could win any game center pokemon only 2 badges in
And if you choose to go to Koga, you can get surf and go to cinnabar. You can't do seafoam without the Rainbow badge from celadon, though.

So basically, you have access to most pokemon in the game besides legendaries(you can get Zapdos, however) just 3 badges in, with LAvender town's Pokemon tower as the only major thing you need to do afterRock Tunnel(the Lavender sequence break will let you go to Silph and get Lapras, too).
While its still necessary you do certain things, it does allow a lot of grinding spaces to be open to you which helps you level up Pokemon that would be a pain in the ass otherwise. For example, as late as Cinnabar you're still fishing up level 15 pokemon that are massively underleveled by the time you get there organically. But since you have all the trainers available in the routes and GameCorner/Silph, its far easier to level them up instead of grinding for pittance exp in the wild.
Its more open and less of a hassle from FR/LG, where things are locked more and level scaling is worse(getting level 5 fossil Pokemon late in the game, compared to RBY where they start at level30.
>>
>>9583317
>surf's up
And so am I
>>
>>9583279
>They absolutely nailed it first try
Yellow is bad though
>>
>>9604053
Twinneedle and Pin Missile, the former is Beedrill exclusive but Jolteon can learn the latter, which can actually be a half-decent counter to Psychics without just using another Psychic.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.