[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (63 KB, 768x384)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
One day in 1991 an ancient Oni spirit that had been asleep since the Kamakura Period awakened beneath a Nintendo warehouse and possessed a large number of SNESes that were due to be shipped, causing their CPUs to spontaneously self-destruct. Eventually a Shinto ritual was performed to drive away the demon but too late for most SHVC model SNESes.

Fortunately I looked at mine and found a UN26xx serial number indicating it's a GPM-02 and therefore I didn't have to worry. However numerous reports of failed SHVC units have been documented online. That Oni certainly left a trail of destruction behind. What a bastard.
>>
>>9441560
They think the first run of SNESes had a fault of some kind with the CPU possibly a packaging problem. Those would also be the ones with the non-working DMA controller. This wasn't unprecedented since the first Famicoms had issues too but they were fixed long before international release. SHVC units cannot be trusted and all are suspect.
>>
>>9441675
it did seem to me that Nintendo/Ricoh were not very good at designing hardware. like the stuff worked fine after multiple hardware fixes but Sega never had these issues, their consoles always worked out of the gate without faulty or missing features.
>>
>>9441694
They're still making hardware today so they must be doing something right
>>
>>9441694
>Sega never had these issues, their consoles always worked out of the gate without faulty or missing features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOY3-YcWbyc
>>
>>9441694
Sega also worked with Hitachi who were a first-rank company with good engineers.
>>
not when they had the bad luck to buy a lot of faulty SVP chips from Samsung and Hitachi decapped one and went "what kind of baka Korean monkey designed this thing?"
>>
The later SNES boards like RGB and 1-CHIP also combine the graphics hardware into one IC and they behave differently than SHVC and GPM models which had the original twin PPUs. However of the original design only the GPM-02s have a reliable, stable chipset.
>>
>>9441675
It may be that Ricoh were new to using TQFP packaging and had trouble with it. This was fairly new stuff back then, just replacing the oldskool poke-through DIP packages. Or maybe that the SNES chips were CMOS and they were new to that and had trouble figuring it out. Both are possibilities.
>>
>>9441560
i read that in a book. how did you steal it from my coffee table? <(o_o)>
>>
so is that like Commodore Plus/4s where the chips were simply made in a faulty manner?
>>
>>9441675
how would you tell if you have an SHVC?
>>
>>9442689
SHVCs have a serial number in the 1xxx range, the FCC notice is a sticker instead of molded, and it will feel heavier due to the separate sound board.
>>
>>9442710
ok thanks
>>
>>9442614
Something like that. Unlike the Famicom where they could wait a little while before international release, there was no such option with SNES they had to get it out as soon as possible and there was no time to work out hardware and production gremlins.
>>
would be nice if someone ever made an FPGA to replace those fried SNES chips
>>
>>9441805
this is a GPM-02 board as the PPU-C indicates
>>
>>9443648
Yes this is a good one, you shouldn't have to worry about the CPU blowing.
>>
>>9442614
yeah
>>
>>9441694
the DMG Gameboy was bombproof while the Game Gear...not so much.
>>
>>9441694
Didn't Sega design the Mega Drive in a retarded way that made the SCD a hackjob and not work properly?
>>
>>9444467
That's not retarded design it's that the SCD hadn't even been conceived yet when the Mega Drive was developed.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.