[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Regardless of whether you think it's a good or bad thing, post games that have a distinctly "modern" feel. Eg, low difficulty, forgiving mechanics, qol features, tight hitboxes. My examples:
>Snes Aladdin
The "parachute" mechanic and the high amount of mid-air control make this game one of the most accessible platformers of the era. The game easily could have been 5x as difficult without them.
>Monster World IV
Asha's sword swings can still hit enemies that overlap her sprite, and her attacks get priority. That plus the wide hitboxes on upward, downward, and sideways air swings make controlling her feel like a modern indie game.
>>
File: breakfist.gif (850 KB, 503x436)
850 KB
850 KB GIF
>>9439961
Some Natsume games have a curious style of polish and sophistication about them. Shatterhand for example could believably pass as a modern indie "retro" game in almost every regard
>>
>>9439961
Mr Nutz?
>>
>>9439961
Little Samson with it's unusually detailed pixel art and Beyond & Legend of Oasis with their strong colors and soft shading look very much like modern attempts at oldschool graphics.
I'd also argue the likes of Super Metroid and Castlevania SotN, because of their non-linear design philosophy, have "rejuvenated" ever since indies started heavily borrowing from them, which changed their public perception from unusual to ahead of their time; it still puzzles me it took as recently as a decade ago for that to happen...
>>
The realistic physics and particle effects are ahead of their time. Unfortunately the level design is not.
>>
File: Morph.webm (2.27 MB, 506x428)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB WEBM
Morph plays like an indie puzzle game circa 2010
>>
>>9439970
Yeah feels like a new retro game made for the nes. Except for the busted gravity mechanics feels entirely modern
>>
>>9439961
Phantasy Star 4 gets my vote and 1 to a lesser extent.
>>
The animations with the shiny transparent effects, spammy combat and character design instantly reminds me of online RPGs like Maple Story and the like to the point that I wonder if it was an inspiration. Might be just me.
>>
Mr Gimmick has always felt like a modern indie game to me because of how much it relies on gimmicky physics-based gameplay and rewarding the player for sequence breaking.
>>
>>9440328
Apt description.
>>
>>9439961
Anything from Dreamcast on up feels modern to me, arguably even some N64 games since that's what standardized stick control and where genres like FPS became a lot more popular. Happy Thanksgiving from /g/
>>
>>9440528
>Anything from Dreamcast on up feels modern to me
That's because anything from after the Dreamcast IS modern.
>>
>>9439970
Steel Assault is literally just shatterhand with a whip thing.
>>
Rondo of Blood
Star Parodier
Blazing Lazers
Super Aleste
Goof Troop
DoReMi Fantasy
Magical Pop'n
Mega Man X
Sky Blazer
Super Metroid
Fire 'n Ice
Duck Tales
Mega Man 5 and 6
Donkey Kong '94
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.