[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 116 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1668113094362666.png (40 KB, 128x128)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
Mine fell victim to the "geek" store virus.
>>
>>9439510
You mean funko pops, don't you? We could've had a company making small figurines of every character imaginable but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>>
Yeah over 20 years ago when Funcoland got bought up by Gamestop.
>>
>>9439510
Mine was acceptable merchandise-wise, but got closed down because of a burst plumbing line that soaked everything. Then COVID happened and they never reopened again.
>>
>>9439516
It's called GoodSmile.
>>
My local video game stores never last very long. Maybe six months at most.
>>
>>9439516
Funko pops were there, but it was mainly an overabundance of anime figures, gaming and movie merch and geek t-shirts. There was so much that the actual games were pushed to the back of the store.
>>
>>9439516
Funko pops is the most abhorrent product I've seen. Hideous malformed blobs with barely any feature resembling the character they portray.
>>
>>9439510
My local vidya store has always been shit. They overprice everything. All ebay/amazon prices and they get mad when you complain or ask for a deal. Back around 2010~ I found some good deals at Plan N Trade but they went out of business.
>>
What local retro game store
>>
>>9439703
The one I work at
>>
there a few, one shut down, the others held up but have had shit inventory ever since the price boom. idk how any of them stay open.
>>
I needed a charger for a notretro DSLite a few years back. Happened to be at WalMart, retro store was right next door, figured I'd drop in to see if they had a charger. They did, usual chinkshit knockoff. Way overpriced, decided to just order it online since I wasn't in any hurry to get it.

I appreciate that they have to cover overhead and all that, but at the same time I really don't feel a need to overpay for common crap. I've been ordering old games online since the early 2000s, so after Funco did away with their discount bins, I'd find fewer and fewer reasons to buy from game stores. If I were in Japan it would be a different story, because it looks as though some of their old game shops regularly have stock of legitimately rare shit that you can't always find online, as well as a plethora of cheap used games (and aren't as prone to the L@@K RARE ORIGINAL MARIO WORLD ONLY $89.99 CART ONLY syndrome which seems to plague US vidya stores).
>>
mine has some merch but it's mostly just game shit and dvds.
>>
>>9439523
Want an xbox gc or ps2? 150 bucks plz.
No.
>>
>>9439510
Got bought out by GameStop. Which then quickly died, leaving nothing.
>>
>>9439510
They've always been shit here all the way back to 2010. They blatantly would look up ebay at the counter if you asked what something in the glass cost. Local shops always charge more than anything else and collectards cleaned out pawn shops and flea markets so now we're stuck paying $50 for super mario world.
>>
The local stores here are still good. Too fucking expensive, but decent selection and not too much cringe.
>>
The owner is a completely unpleasant prick whose driven everyone away and everything he has is in really bad condition
Gets mega tilted if you say anything
>>
>>9440391
>The owner is a completely unpleasant prick whose driven everyone away
He posts here, doesn't he?
>>
Mine is fine but since I learned about flashcarts and emulation, there's nearly no need to spend 60 bucks on a 20 year old game just to have it on my shelf.
>>
>>9439510
>local retro game store
shut down probably just sold everything online
>>
Nope mine’s still great. Wide variety of games for any and all consoles and wuxia DVDs for like $3.

The “rare” stuff in the display case comes with a +30% idiot tax but that’s to be expected
>>
>>9439510
We have a few that I have never gone to that I've been meaning to check out, that appear to have mostly gone that way, but fortunately the one I frequent most (that also is an arcade) seems to be doing very well. They just moved out of the dead mall they used to be in, into their own building. They are setting up the arcade there now, with more floor space than before so they can have more machines at once. Should be open before the end of the year hopefully. Their game store is reasonably well stocked and I try to give them business whenever I can. Their prices are usually 20-50% below eBay prices and of course I get my shit now and don't pay shipping. Best thing is they're basically right next to my work so they're not even out of the way.

They also spun up a second store downtown that is a game store and arcade but the arcade also has a bar attached. We have a couple other barcades around here but they're the only ones that have a game store attached. I've never been personally though, barcades aren't really my thing, though I'm curious if the store is any good.

What do you guys think about barcades? Like I said not really my thing but if a game store can use them to bring in extra income to stay afloat then I am fine with it.
>>
the one near me has gotten too big for their britches and put massive fuck-off stickers on their dvd games, and then those 'silver stickers' on cartridges. They can fuck right right off
>>
>>9439510
I live next to paris and theres a street in front of the republique square with a bunch of retro stores (and weebtrash stores) and so far none of them have fallen yet. sure they overpriced the shit out of every RETRO game back in 2012 till 2018 but now the prices are good and still no funko pops to be found, only retro stuff and retro oddites
>>
>>9439510
No my retro store sells tons of old games, sells some "merch" and has a "arcade" pretty cool like 20 or 30 cabs. Few are mame. Its pretty sick. But still mainly sellin games
>>
>>9439510
Yeah theres a ton of funco pops, DnD, animu and comics now. Guess they gotta do something to stay in business, I don't collect retro shit anymore and probably wouldn't buy anything even if they catered specifically to my tastes.
>>
>>9439716
This is my local store. Mostly sports games that no one will ever buy + copies of extremely popular meme games displayed behind glass like they're precious collector's items (like Mario games and Final Fantasy 7 and shit).
>>
Mine closed up shop years ago.
>>
>>9439510
Mine does phone repair/services and I think that's what's keeping it afloat.
>>
>>9439719
japanese also take fucking great care of their stuff. everything is in like pristine condition and the worst is yellowing
>>
Mine got rid of a bunch of their "not classic" (The owners words, not mine) games, severely marked up what they kept, and replaced everything else with pokemon cards, comics and anime merchandise. Never did funco pops though.
They closed up during COVID and never reopened.

Sucks, because I was friends with a few of the employees and some of the regulars, but them's the breaks.
>>
Retro store has always been shit since it's overpriced. I never once bought stuff from such a store, winning auctions or getting deals from people that just want to unload stuff they kept from childhood or trade when you built a collection, that's the way. Sure it's hard to get such deals since there's plenty of people that want the same stuff, but it's possible - I've built my whole collection this way. I think FOMO is the biggest problem with retro today, people want a piece for their collection and they want it right away so they can brag about it online.
>>
>>9439510
Mine wasn't doing too well and moved into the literal ghetto, with homeless people hanging around outside and a boarded up building right next door.

But somehow they're still kicking. Good prices too, had things like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger for $30 (I own both from when I was a kid anyway, so I didn't buy either). Wanted a Dreamcast and asked the guy for a Model 1, and he was really interested to learn the difference between them and how the older ones can play burned games. The one on the floor was a Model 2, but he took my number and called me next week with a Model 1 at exactly the same price for me. The guy probably sells two items a day and I have no idea how he even pays his rent, but he did that for me and it makes me happy that people like that exist.
>>
why are they turning game stores into even lamer hot topics?
>>
>>9439510
Pain peko
>>
All the local retro game stores I've ever known have disappeared entirely. It's tragic.
>>
It was always bad, overpriced games and like no stock of old shit.
>>9440791
Blew my mind when I went to one of those stores in Japan, just stacks of famicoms, sfc, genesis in near perfect condition, even saw some stuff you could only get via wii point shit.
>>
I do all my in person retro shopping at this big pawn shop in town. The prices are pretty good there usually, usually the same price or a bit cheaper than the average prices you'd see on ebay. I know some faggots go there looking for shit to flip on ebay which is gay but it doesn't ruin their inventory that much.

I figure they keep the prices fair because it's a pawn shop and all the real money is in shit like jewelry and power tools
>>
my local game store is owned by isrealis
>>
File: 1629114260107.gif (2.28 MB, 370x424)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB GIF
Mine was demolished and turned into a quick lube a few years ago.
>>
Serious question, why do you buy from your local store even when they rob you with high prices? Do you support them to keep them around? Are they kind and friendly (robbery with a smile)? I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just bargain hunt for the cheapest price possible, and that’s never from a storefront place
>>
>>9441390
>disc rot
you don't even own cds ur just talking out of ur ass at this point. disc rot is a meme
>>
>>9441503
all my local stores are about much cheaper than online, im in usa though so we have tons of stuff
>>
>>9441503
I don't buy at ripoff prices. I'll spend a little bit more just because I like being able to browse and pull shit off the shelf I've never heard of, but I'm talking like $4 more. As we approach $10 over normal asking price my chance of purchasing it approaches zero.
>>
>>9441503
i buy their cheap dvds. also dont want to wait for a controller to be shipped to me sometimes.
>>
>>9439510
World-8 in Los Angeles used to be chill. Now they feel like a hipster spot for people who like paying for expensive games.
>>
>>9439510
There is no brick and mortar game shops around my house, we have mercaditos 1 guy sell stuff near my house
His selection is limited and mostly in bad shape
>>
>>9439510
i don't suffer from this problem because i am infinitely more intelligent than you and play any game i want on PC, for free, while investing my money in high yield savings, CDs, crypto and stocks instead of blowing it on feces particle-coated plastic sold by middle aged men that smell like dried pizza sauce.
>>
File: -6359693262407995851.jpg (72 KB, 768x498)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>9439510
Any non-sports title is pretty much guaranteed to be behind glass around me.
>>
>>9441503
Their prices were actually rather good (some games that go for 8 bucks on eBay going for 2 bucks and rarely anything over $10), it's just that the inventory was abysmal and basically turned into a ThinkGeek with some games sprinkled throughout.
>>
File: 1663118538164247.jpg (362 KB, 1290x1575)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
Nope, all that I've been to are pretty decent. Some have overpriced systems like one over valuing PS1, or another putting a 20 dollar price floor for all N64 games, including sports games, but that's why you go to many places.
>>
they are all too expensive and are mostly just used for faggy card games
>>
What is a fair economy for a game store?

If you have $1000 rent and 12 hours of labor each day at $15/hr that is $6400 month in expenditures not counting utilities.

If the game store only makes $6 off a new $60 game that is 1067 new games that would need to be sold each month just to break even. Obviously that is why they are pushing used games and gaming merchandise because of the higher profit margins. But outside of Game Stop, how do the smaller mom and pop games stores stay in business. Relying on finding used retro games at yard sales seems like a poor business model. Yeah you don't want to pay $70 for Super Mario World, but why would they sell it to you for $20 if it is going online for $70 and they could make more that way?

You may say "not my problem" but it is your problem if you want local video game stores to be able to exist.
>>
>>9441881
In theory I prefer small businesses over corpos, though at this point I guess I'm not sure how much of a real service my local game store really provides relative to what I'm interested in. Back in the day, before widespread online selling, local game stores provided a convenient way for people to quickly unload their old games. Sure, those who bulk sold to game stores didn't make much money from selling them, but that was at a time when most outdated games weren't exactly worth a whole lot in the first place. Nowadays the games I'm interested in are likely too expensive for people to be willing to cheaply unload for wholesale prices, especially since almost everybody has acces to eBay, Craigslist, Mercari, Facebook ads, whatever. I'd imagine a lot of local game stores scour these sites themselves to snatch deals, and if that's the case, they'd be more competition for myself and other individual game buyers. For PS3/360 titles, yeah, I'd imagine you still have "too cheap for the owner to fuck with" situations where a shop can draw in a local looking to unload a box of games for a deep discount, and then the shop can resell them at decent price and still make a profit... but I don't really have much interest in that era of games.

Basically with the current hypercompetitive state of the old videogame market, I just don't see much value to what seems to constitute the average retro videogame shop. Would it be nice to have them? Of course. But without regularly restocked shelves of halfway decent early 00s and older games which don't cost an arm and a leg, I don't personally see much value to them.
>>
>>9439510
Mine is based af, has an internet cafe-esque thing next door. And a cute boymoder that works behind the counter! If you're reading this, I will perform boy removal on you.
>>
There's a comfy local game store on the edge of amish country with a bunch of arcade machines set to freeplay.

Last time I was there, a troon asked to sell a disc only Misadventures of Tron Bonne, so there goes the neighborhood. That was May and I haven't been back.
>>
Mine is still good but why fucking bother if they are just going to check ebay for their prices, I could get a better deal just by sniping on eBay myself
>>
>>9442068
impulsivity, not paying ebay fees + shipping.
>>
File: 1668464856739209.gif (1.96 MB, 640x358)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>9439510
>gametraders
>not a single game to be found
I want to roundhouse kick the balding manlet New Management into the fucking glass counter
>>
>>9440375
That means they're buying most of it off ebay and are part of the problem if flashcarts didn't exist
>>
File: pepesadfrenGB.png (40 KB, 1387x702)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>9439608
sorry to hear
>>
>>9439510
Mine tax fraud
>https://www.revenuquebec.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/communiques-de-presse/details/2022-09-30/des-amendes-de-plus-de-242-000-et-une-peine-demprisonnement-avec-sursis-pour-le-proprietaire-du-game-zone-de-montreal/
Just google translate since it isn't in english
>>
>>9440491
>barcade
I've been to two. I'm OK with the concept, but I don't drink (and don't typically enjoy interacting with drunk people, which of course can be an issue if you go on a weekend night) so I only go for the arcade part. One of them was mediocre in terms of games, the other is pretty clearly run by an arcade afficionado so they sometimes have unusual/rare cabs on the floor. That said, as an arcade collectorfag, I don't like that the rise in barcades has quite likely contributed to the skyrocketting prices of arcade PCBs.
>>
>>9441505
All my CDRs from the late 90s have what appears to be holes in them if you hold them up to the light you can see straight through them. All kept in jewel cases in the cupboard
>>
>>9439510
Last time I went to my gamestop it had like a dozen fat people waddling around and it smelled like a sewer so I left pretty fast. When I say fat they were like 260+ easily each.
>>
There was one that opened in my town last year and closed back in April. I have a feeling it was a business rates fraud like those "American candy" shops that have been popping up all over the place.
>>
there's a guy that owns the biggest game store in seattle that streams on twitch.
it seems that game stores can only exist in cities with large nerd populations, and the only reason to exist physically is to be able to accept trade-ins. from hearing him talk about daily operations for a while now it seems like trade-ins are a massive money maker and selling your shit online reduces trade-in volume because that means all your cool items get bought up online so nobody wants to actually walk into your store anymore. he even buys up game stores that are closing down and makes huge profits with this model.
not sure how other people are fucking this up.
>>
Mine goes by listed eBay prices and I mean them super high prices that never fucking sell.
>>
>>9444517
That's funny because all of mine, all of them, are completely fine. But I dont live in a swamp.
>>
>>9445012
He kinda sounds full of shit.
He's somewhat right about not selling your best stuff online in order to incite people to come into your store. Problem is, when I worked at a retro game store, we had several customers who would come in everyday (usually with their carer, because a lot of them were somewhere on the spectrum), and would buy whatever was new and expensive. This meant that although we had regular customers who would pay, it alienated people who would come in once a month.
>he even buys up game stores that are closing down and makes huge profits with this model
This also sounds like crap to me. You'd mostly be buying crap that someone else already couldn't sell.
>>
>>9445067
he's opening his third store in a month, don't ask me if it works or not.
>>
My local retro game store shut down before 2016. The only other one I know about is a state over and has licensed Gamesworkshop tabletops and runs a scam where they accuse people of bringing in counterfeit merchandise and 'fine' them.
>>
>>9445037
Absolute lies
>>
File: 1669004209312497.png (658 KB, 680x679)
658 KB
658 KB PNG
mine is actually pretty based, despite me living in the middle of nowhere. it's a free play arcade in addition to being a game store, and they sell stuff that isn't retro as well, meaning i can get ps3, DS games, etc. they even have some cool shit that isn't games, like 3d printed Pokemon figures, guide books, amiibo, i even found some new 3ds faceplates. they'll also help you repair your console or let you use their tools, as long as you pay for any necessary parts. game prices are usually good, though they aren't miracle workers, Nintendo shit is still fairly expensive as expected (i hate tendies so much it's unreal (with love from Kazakhstan)).
honestly, the best part is just being able to go there after a long day, play some arcade games, shoot the shit with the staff, maybe walk out with a ps2 game or 2, then get home and pop that disc in and spend the weekend playing it. and, in just that brief moment, I'm able to forget all the evil that exists in the world and relax with a good game, like when i was a kid. thanks local retro game store.
>>
>>9439701
>They overprice everything. All ebay/amazon prices and they get mad when you complain or ask for a deal
You retards always complain about this, but you know what happens if a store prices under the market average? Another reseller comes and buys their stock to resell at the market price. The fuck do you expect them to do? Make you pinky promise you're a good boy and are going to play it and never resell it? Stop being a idiot manchild
>>
>>9446696
>honestly, the best part is just being able to go there after a long day, play some arcade games, shoot the shit with the staff, maybe walk out with a ps2 game or 2, then get home and pop that disc in and spend the weekend playing it. and, in just that brief moment, I'm able to forget all the evil that exists in the world and relax with a good game, like when i was a kid. thanks local retro game store.

mine is the same way for me. thanks for putting this feeling into words.
>>
File: waesdas3e3e32.png (729 KB, 1232x762)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
>>9439510
it was always shit
selling aliexpress bootlegs loose carts for 40 fucking dollars along with a bunch of other cheap aliexpress anime shit.
if it was legit it was extremely overpriced
it's why it has a 1 star reviews lmfao
>>
>>9446973
Are the wojaks unironic or a bad attempt at "ironic marketing"?
>>
>>9447006
that is the posters google profile icon you invalid
>>
>>9447026
I would kindly ask you to give some thought to your words before you type, you dumb gorilla ape.
>>
>>9446973
>ripping off mall sois
Unironically based
>>
File: gatomon.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>find an actually good one a few years ago
>fuck yeah
>covid happens and it fucking goes out of business
>>
>>9444489
>but I don't drink (and don't typically enjoy interacting with drunk people)
I know that feel brother.

I kind of hate that "nerd" shit has become so wrapped up in drinking. Growing up it always seemed like drinking and drugs in general was a normie thing
>>
>>9439510
>>9439608
was it actually selling?

i could stomach that shit and the "people" it brings in if it keeps the lights on. most of the local video game stores in my area usually die because like 3 or 4 people come in a week.

the only ones that survived either became "gamer lounges" or use the shop as a warehouse/drop off point for their online storefront.
>>
>>9447887
It didn't even look like they sold 10% of it. It was all full shelves of anime figures, shadow boxes, and Funko pops. My guess is that the owner bought a fuckton of stock thinking that my town is geek city, forgetting that the DVDs they sell are more than likely what keeps the store alive.
>>
>>9446726
IF I WANTED TO PAY EBAY PRICES I WOULD JUST BUY IT OFF EBAY DUMBASS.
You ever wonder why those shops never sell anything? and go out of business? NOBODY BUYS SHIT IF ITS THE SAME PRICE AS EBAY.

Why the fuck would I ever go to your shitty shop? pay gas go outside irl if you are just a greedy bastard upselling scalper? Im not going to support your greed. Fuck off. If im not getting at least some sort of deal Im not giving you any money greedy bastards.

Also fuck off you buy up all the flea market games for pennies and complain when I want some sort of deal too fuck off.
>>
>SUPER R@RE common as fuck n64 sports title
that'll be $69.99 plus tax. you want a bag with that? now get the fuck out of my store im trying to check prices on ebay. Dont want you nerds to cut into my profits.

Also yes I do sell bootlegs with fake covers for the same price.
>>
>>9448020
THESE ARE MY GAMES YOU LOSERS WILL PAY WHATEVER PRICE I TELL YOU
>>
File: 1.jpg (449 KB, 1282x1175)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Never had one in my area. There are a couple comic/tabletop/card stores that have been around for at least 20 years though. The only stores I've seen with retro games are primarily used DVD/CD stores, basically pawn shops.
>>
>>9448042
damn how many years ago was this? Those are actually good prices now.
>>
>>9448047
grabbed it off their google maps page, pic is from 2019
>>
Why is it that nerdshit tends to atttact the "fuck you I know what I got" type of autistic people to establish businesses? I wish they were more like the aspies I know. One of them has a computer collection, and he would sell us old parts and games inexpensively as long as we heard him rant about fake cache on motherboards for half an hour.
>>
>>9447994
>Why the fuck would I ever go to your shitty shop?
They'll say you're paying a premium to inspect the item firsthand and avoid dealing with online sellers scams or other hassles. With the protection ebay gives customers, it's all nonsense.
>>
>>9448058
>why do games attract aspies
>why does collecting attract aspies
>why are aspies obsessed with childhood nostalgia
nobody knows
>>
File: FbmdMdsUIAEM5p3.jpg (253 KB, 1421x1092)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>9448058
I KNOW WAT I GOT
This copy of SM64 is worth MUCHO DINERO $$$$
>>
>>9448062
Especially since most all sellers have decent phone cameras and will take at least a few photos. Sure, here and there I've wound up with a game box that had sunfading which wasn't apparent in the photos, but that's typically been on import games from Yamatoku which were super cheap to begin with (and purchased with a handful of other games which were fine), so I could probably just buy another copy or two before reaching whatever price a local game reseller would ask.
>>
>>9448081
holy shit, this has to be a joke
>>
>>9439510
Same

It used to be a 2nd hand gameshop with a shit ton of retro games

They still do get retro games but the selections have been getting smaller and smaller and instead theyve gone all in on mostly zoomer merch... now it feels like theres way more merch and geek stuff than actual fucking video games

Sell more games and less trash man..
If this continues theyre gonna lose one of thier most loyal customers
>>
the one near my parent's house also sells toys and shit and has an arcade attached to it.(Tucson Mall)
same shit around my house and city with the retro game store being an arcade, but they have actual tournaments there

there's also one around my job in the city I have go to but it's not an arcade. funny, but all three of them have multiple copies of MGS3 and MGS2 for $70 like it's a rare game.
>>
>>9439510
I mean...yeah, but I don't really care enough to stop going there. Just because they have a wall of funko pops doesn't mean I won't buy my SNES games from there. I just stay out of the onions milk isle and I'm good
>>
>>9439510
>Has your local retro game store gone to shit?
it shut down over 10 years ago
>>
>>9439519
>Funcoland
this place was unironically better than any of the mom n pop stores around me in the early 2000s. they had much cheaper prices on used games.
>>
>>9439510
Mine's become as bad as the rest price-wise. If you're looking for N64 or Gamecube games going to Ebay instead would save you money. Plus you can expect to spend at least $90 on any game system when I remember buying a Gamecube for $17 at one point.
On the flip side they're not bad for non-retro games and they do a good job repairing systems
>>
>>9448020
>any zelda relaterd shirt, even if it's as subtle as possible
reddest flag possible
>>
>>9444444
>>
>>9439519
bought my first snes from funcoland
>>
>>9439641
It really kills me that millions of pounds of this shit is going to be lying around in landfills for the next 200 years after this fad ends.
>>
>>9446726
my local store prices under on everything. they'll usually price a game what pricecharting says the loose price is even though its complete cause they know it won't sell if its over like $120. the tradeoff is they will absolutely bone you on trade ins since they already sell everything under market value, but I don't do much trading in so it doesn't really bother me
>>
>>9448116
no shit
>>
I regret not bothering to take a peek at the retro game store that popped up 6-7 or so years ago and disappeared a year or so after. A friend of mine said that the owner would prop the front door open with a SNES because they had so many.
>>
>>9447032
That's fucking embarrassing
>>
File: 1648092301560.gif (24 KB, 128x126)
24 KB
24 KB GIF
>>9439510
>>9439516
Is there a name for this phenomenon? A similar scenario played out with every Radio Shack in the country
>start off as THE PLACE for electronic components, batteries and other radio/computery doodads
>shift focus from selling electronic components to cellphones, overpriced R/C toy cars, and other generic consoomer garbage
>relegate 5% of the remaining original stock that was responsible for putting your store on the map to some tiny bin in the back
>tread water for a year or two at best
>die
>>
>>9451412
It's called falling into too small of a niche to support itself.
>>
>>9449446
>11 years and counting
>fad
learn what words mean, retard
>>
>>9451425
>t.Funkotard
>>
>>9451451
I don't own a single plastic toy from any company. I just know what words mean. You should catch up
>>
>>9439519
The GameStop near me still sold NES/SNES/Genesis games until about 2002, it was nice being able to get games for cheap. They would just have bigass boxes filled to the brim with loose cartridges.

There was also a Hollywood Video that had a little side-store attached called GameCrazy, and they almost exclusively sold retro games until about 2006. Everything from NES all the way up to Dreamcast stuff was in there.
>>
>>9439510
mines suffered from the ebay/retro nostalgia bullshit, they've been marking up their games by more than 40%
A shit game that used to go for like 20 now is 50 something, it's dumb and I hate it
>>
>>9448949
If Paper Mario TTYD is going for $120 complete on Ebay/etc, what should a local game store be selling it at?

Keep in mind that unlike Ebay, the store owner has to pay rent, utilities, staff, and whatever the cost of the games were when he purchased them. He also has to make enough money to justify running a store to pay his own mortgage, ultilities, car insurance, food. Even if he undercuts ebay prices by 25% that would be enough incentive for one person to buy his whole inventory and then turn around and make a 25% profit or more if they wait until more time goes buy and the value increases.

People like to complain about retro stores being same price as Ebay but don't realize there would never be any stock in retro stores if they undercut Ebay prices because someone else would buy them up to resell them.

In 2005/6 Gamecubes were dirt cheap brand new at $99 and I think some clearances were $50. 2007/8 you could find them at yardsales for $20. But as time goes on more of the 20 million units sold break down and disappear. It slowly becomes a rarer commodity item. In another 10 years you will probably see a working Gamecube jump to $300 to $500. The demand increases as the supply dwindles. That is how the retro market works.
>>
>>9448020
I've been there and holy fuck they sold this super retard super mario world 3 for 60 dollars with a "warranty" for an additional 10. Fuck this place entirely, everything there was "rare" when asked about and the whole shop is so fucking cramped it's unreal. Just shit pulled up to the ceilings they can't sell because this is the new millennium and people can check prices in seconds now (which if you do you get promptly thrown out) the record section at the front of the store is weird as fuck too with some grandpa eyeing you down. My wife wanted mario party for n64 and he said 100 dollars lmao I bought an everdrive off ebay instead. Absolutely fuck this guy and his store for retards. And if you're reading this power wash your building it's fucking gross. Also your store smells like an estate sale. Captcha Avgnx8
>>
>>9439510
It has been reduced to just a corner of a used bookstore, but it is pleasant to be in. Once in a while there may be some interesting curio but it has all the big hitters.
>>
>>9446696
Nice man, I did that with Super R-Type a few weekends back, and it really did feel comfy. It really can shut out the evil sometimes
>>
>>9439510
We've got a small pawn shop where you get charged based on how the guy feels that day. It sucks and is overpriced for what he has. He does have some unique hardware but it's not worth the prices
>>
I just started working at one of these shops and we have a funko wall and I fucking hate it. Mere words cannot describe the immense disgust and hatred I feel for the braindead retard normies that walk in and make a b line for that wall of wasted plastic. It brings people in and we make sales off that dumb shit, so at least it helps keep us afloat, but I wish death upon every one of those idiots while I ring them up.
>>
File: Johnson Abomination.jpg (145 KB, 1024x581)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>9448058
This is every field of collectible anything. Cars, guns, games, etc.

>rusted Colt Python with a bulged barrel and cylinder timing that's mostly a suggestion
>"$3000! NO LOWBALLS, I KNOW WHAT I'VE GOT!"
>old 91/30 Mosin Nagant with a custom wooden stock shaped to make the rifle look kinda like an Accuracy International 'AWP', somehow manages to weigh 15lbs (apparently intentional), and still shoots like 5 inch groups anyway
>"ONE OF A KIND CUSTOM SNIPER RIFLE! $1500"
>A M1941 Johnson Rifle where the stock is replaced with an aluminum stock assembly featuring a pistol grip, the shoulder stock is made from off the shelf pipes, featuring an honest to god length of garden hose as a cheekpad, the original sights are replaced with a detachable AR15 carryhandle-sight attached on a rail, with a matching front-sight tower for the front
>"THE STARTING BID IS $8000."
The last one is 100% real, someone has been trying to sell that poor abused rifle for I think 12 years now, and he's never lowered the price for it once (it should be noted that a pristine and unmolested example would go for about half of what he wants). Pictures of his listings has been making the rounds in gun circles as a kind of shock humor for ages, a few years ago he painted it an ugly white color with brown streaks.

My point is, anywhere there's anything of value (whether real or perceived), you'll find That Guy.
>>
>>9453261
Yeah, there are greedy people everywhere. But there is a difference between being greedy and selling a product for what it actually is worth as a collectors item.

The worth of retro games or vintage products is not determined by the sum of their parts or the original msrp when it first came to market. It is determined by the amount of supply left versus the demand after its production run has ended.

$20 dollar toy released in 1980.
Sells like shit and discontinued in 1981.
Stores selling it for $5 to get rid of it.
2020, collectors want to own toy that is now hard to find. Man that owns one he bought at yard sale for $1 puts it up on eBay for $2500. Doesn't sell. Decides to auction it. Bids climb to $300 at most, no one willing to part with more than that. Sold.

Now any time the toy appears for under $300 it sells instantly. If listed over $300 it just sits there. As more years go by and product becomes even rarer, people will be more willing to pay $325, then $400, then $500...etc increasing as time goes by and supply dwindles.

Now if you find that toy in your attic right now and aren't a collector are you going to sell it for just its original $20 price or $5 clearance? Would you be willing to sell it at half the current going rate at $250 knowing that it will be bought by someone who will resell it for $500?

Trying to sell it for $1000 would be greedy
Trying to sell it for $250 would be stupid.
>>
>>9451593
Sucks. I've got one about 20 miles away that sells shit at decent prices, like 5 bucks for most xbox games and 8-20 for 360 stuff.
>>
>>9453325
I agree in general, but with anything Japanese I think the situation is a little different.
Naturally, anything Japanese is going to be available for cheaper in Japan than America. So when I pay an eBay seller for a Japanese game or piece of merchandise, they essentially have arbitrage.
After the value of the item in Japan and shipping, the seller collects a small profit. I'm fine with that. They've earned it by going through the effort of finding the thing and shipping it to me safely.
Essentially, I'm paying extra to not have to go through the hassle of ordering off of a website like ヤクオフ or amazon.co.jp.

What I dislike is when sellers try to gouge me for a profit margin of double or triple the Japanese asking price.
I'm fine with paying a premium, not a pound of flesh.
>>
>>9451412
I cant think of a name but it boils down to the investors and owners seeing dollar signs in the hot new trends, problem is that something like funkos are and where sold everywhere and your store is known for electronic components and shit.
So if you wanna buy a funko, radioshack isnt going to be your first choice to go get one.
>>
>>9439510
>had a great one near me
>bought a model 2 Genesis from them for $40, a PS1 for $40 and a PS2 fat for (I think) $60
>all three came with controllers, cables, memory cards
>buy various games and vinyl records when I stop in every week
>this was back in 2019
>fall out of vidya for a couple of years, come back in 2021
>everything was more expensive
>the only thing I can really remember off the top of my head were N64s went from $99 to $180
I stopped buying vidya from them but kept visiting because their vinyl record prices were still pretty good. Moved away a year ago but it seems like they're still in business so I hope they're doing alright.
>>
>>9451412
The world left Radio Shack behind. It's in the name, Radio. Electronics moved beyond the simple capacitors-and-breadboard into chips and processors.
>>
>>9451532

I'd say a little lower than ebay prices to make it a deal and pull in customers but make it too much a hassle to resell for most people.
A local store has to amortize the lower prices via the draw those cause. People just want the feeling of getting a deal and is it just a few bucks. FOr ebay prices most people won't bother and say they can get them on ebay itself for that.
The convenience aspect for most people probably isn't enough these days where online shopping has existed for two decades by now and is as standard as in-person shopping.
>>
>>9454301
Why should it be lower than ebay? Local stores have a place to pay for, cover replacements, provide some level of support, pay for supplies and provide you the convenience of being able to get the product on the spot and giving you the chance to inspect it in person.
>>
I live in a backwater area and never had a local game store and the ones that were an hour away were always shitty with high prices and a bad selection and barely even better than best buy or any other big box store.
>>
>>9454319

I agree but this dilemma is the reality.
That's why so many stores have to resort to more affordable impulse items like figurines or Funko Pops where people are more open to spontanously open their wallet.
But if they see a more expensive game at ebay prices most people will go "I could directly order that at ebay, dude". In other words the appreciation for the item being there physically for you to directly inspect and touch is not there enough in the online age anymore.
For the satisfaction of having made a deal something like 5 bucks probably will be enough.
This is the dilemma those shops are facing.
Either they have to push back the actual games to the back and focus on all that annoying merch or if they want to keep the focus on the games they'll have to keep under ebay prices or people won't buy.
Or they got to have something else as a pull, like an aracade etc.
>>
>>9454356
>But if they see a more expensive game at ebay prices most people will go "I could directly order that at ebay, dude"
A short sighted view which you clearly do not agree with. Ultimately it comes down to do you want a local place you can go to and pick up 35 year old controllers or not? And of course, return no questions asked for a replacement. Failing understand what a hub like that can cultivate and how it can act as a center to build relationships with other people who have a similar interest is failing to understand the bigger picture. "oh it's the same price on ebay. I can just buy it there. And maybe get a broken copy. And have to deal with ebay returns. And hope the guy didn't blink out of existence and take my money and give me a broken game." To stop at the first position and not realize the shortcomings is plain stupidity. "I can buy this right here, or I can order it online, get it in 4-8 days and find out it's not what I thought it was."
>>
>>9439510
I kinda grew up in the countryside and there was only one store nearby that sold games. I remember them having SNES and N64 games for like 80+ dollars each. I never bought anything there since I was just a kid at that time, this was the mid 90's.

There were some other stores maybe an hour's drive away from where I lived, one in particular was actually pretty decent. I bought my gamecube there on release and also bought a bunch of gamecube and GBA games there over the years. I once sold (more like got ripped off) some GC games to them, I remember it being Luigi's mansion, Final fantasy crystal chronicles, Harvest moon, Star Fox adventures and Star wars rogue leader and they gave me like 15 bucks tops. I was pissed but I needed money for some reason and had to accept what they offered. Either way eventually a large part of their store got filled with candy and plastic crap like funko pops, which combined with ordering stuff online becoming both cheaper and more convenient meant I stopped going to said store. When I looked them up a few years later, they were out of business.

Recently I've been wanting to open my own store but I don't know if I could make it work where I live. It's a decent-sized town and I'd sell stuff online as well but I still think it'd be hard to pull off.
>>
>>9439510
mine expanded to a bigger location just around the corner and went big into pokemon (and oddly, lego), its on my route home from work and i always see a tonne of kids at the tables playing and opening packs
i havent actually been in there for months because i just pirate my games and dont play cards anymore. but its nice to see new generations still into shit i liked as a kid i guess
>>
>>9445037
>never seen it myself so can't possibly exist
Not that anon, but of about 1000 real cds/dvds I own, about 5 of them have disc rot. Rare but very real. CDr's on the other hand it is pretty common. Pretty sure it is down to manufacturing quality, not how the disc is stored in both instances
>>
>>9439510
Sadly a long time ago it was replaced by a franchise. Even that store probably struggles. A pure and decent game store seems to be a doomed business model
>>
>>9451412
We had an almost identical store here in the UK called Maplin. The exact same thing happened to them at almost the exact same time.

They started out with electrical components, breadboards, project kits, etc. They pretty much always had what you wanted and the guys behind the counter were always dudes who, between them, seemed to know everything.

Then, slowly but surely, more and more floorspace got filled with solar powered outdoor lights, door chimes, RC cars, quad copters, another retard-friendly products. The staff all got replaced with brainless idiots, and the actual useful shit they sold was pushed to the very back of the store along one to two racks of two shelves at most. And then, surprising nobody, they went bankrupt.

There's now literally nowhere I can buy components from in person. I used to be able to get any even remotely common circuit board component half an hour. Now I have to wait days for a delivery, or pay extra and wait until half way through the next day. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>9454319
Do people actually buy that game for 120?
Just because something is listed for x dollars doesnt mean anyone is buying it.
>>
>>9454903
They do
>>
>>9445067
Selling your expensive shit online is fucking stupid. The reason we don't sell that shit online is because we lose a huge cut to ebay. Also, it's incredibly risky.

>>9451532
>>9454301
>>9454319

Arguing the price is retarded. I try to tell people this every time I use threads like this, but it's pointless. So I'll try again.
First off: there is no 'ebay price.' That doesn't exist. There is, however, a 'current ebay price.' Because guess what? The going price for games changes. They can trend up or they can trend down.
What does this have to do with old vidya stores?
Everything. Why? Because it's impossible to make sure our stock matches the CURRENT price on ebay.
We're talking multiple thousands of games. Just imagine if you had to price everything in your house. But also, the moment you don't update the price every week, people are going to complain that you are overcharging for things. On ebay this is easy, because the listings are entirely digital. But in a store this means taking down every single game, getting a new sticker, and re-doing the entire display. And also paying someone to do this. Also people having a worse shopping experience because its' cluttered.
If a store goes for 'ballpark' prices like us, you'll find games that seem overpriced and others that are good deals compared to CURRENT ebay prices.
For example: we have a nice CIB Doom 1 longbox for $70. The current listings are around $75+ for shipping and some don't even have the manual. Recently sold on ebay is like $80ish
Are we trying to cut you a deal? No. It's just $70 is closer to the multiple-month long average price of that game.
It doesn't help that a lot of people don't want to accept that a game is actually worth significantly more.
We can literally source some games from eBay at standard BIN prices and sell it for double because that's how far off the current ebay price is. But those games are few and far between and probably not the stuff people on here are looking for.
>>
>>9454970
This is why I don't go into your stores. Why the hell would I pay you more than what I can get a game off ebay for. It's not my problem that it's inconvenient to relabel prices on your games. I also don't give a single fuck about your overhead or "muh employee wages". Ebay gives me shipping straight to my door and a 30 day return policy on everything AND I don't have to go into your store to smell all the sweaty gamers and employees you hire who refuse to shower. When you shut your doors for good don't bitch about "muh internet I just can't compete with eBay" when you refuse to do anything to actually compete with eBay.
>>
at least you had a retro game store at some point
>>
>>9455034
I can emphasize with your view on game stores.

My only gripe is with other people that hold the view you do but also complain about their local stores going out of business or like to get all nostalgic about their existence. The same anons also expected these stores to sell Nes to GC games at the same bargain bin prices they would find for those games at the end of their repsective generation.

>"pffft! I remember seeing Monkey Ball for clearance at $15 in 2006, and this Jewish retro store is trying to sell it for $80 in 2020?!"
Meanwhile the game sells for 70 to 90 dollars online.
>>
I actually sold some of my old games during a yard sale. I used the average Ebay price but - 10%.

So if a game was sellong at around $100 online I made it $90. Many of my games actually sold. One guy tried talking me down to 30% to 40% lower explaining that he has a store and wouldn't be able to make enough money off of my prices. He eventually walked away.

I can understand his point. A retro store can only be financially feasible if it is using games the owner had since childhood or ones be bought dirt cheap.

So most of the people who bought my games were either collectors, nostalgic gamers that lost/sold their games in their teens, or resellers that are hoping the games can be sold for more in the future.

I actually have a copy of Paper Mario TTYD but I wasn't ready to sell it yet. Has case, instructions, no scratches. If any anon is willing to go above current Ebay price, make me an offer.
>>
The only good geek store still around me is run by one dude who just does trades whatever video game shit people bring him. Doesn't matter if its Atari, PS1, 8bitdo or PS5, he will buy it from you and sell it to someone else.

No funkopops, no faggoty merch unless it's something rare. Just games and hardware.
>>
>>9455034
You'r so dumb it hurts.
>Here's how a game can end up costing less than you'd find on ebay.
>HURRRR WHY WOULD I PAY MORE THAN EBAY PRICES
Please keep buying shit off ebay. I'm sure it definitely doesn't feed into why video game prices get so bloated.
>>
I just recently went to the only retro game store in my city this week for the first time since like 2018. Only a small portion was of the funco pop fagshit thank god. Asked the owner if he had any Saturn controllers which he unfortunately didn't but we shot the shit for awhile of the good ol Saturn. I actually saw some Neo Geo MVS carts which I've never seen in the wild before in a store. He got pumped up from me even acknowledging them, we ended up playing some Samurai Shodown 2 on his MVS arcade and I bought the game for a pretty good price. Probably spent 2 hours in there with the owner, great guy. Definitely nice to have a good local retro place nearby.
>>
>>9455254
I figure that game stores would be a doomed business model if ebay didn't encourage this kind of price inflation. There is at least some chance of making enough margin to keep the doors open
>>
>>9455085
>the funny long nosed banker has artifically inflated value of a hobby
>we should do nothing about this but copy the way of the long nosed folk
you created this problem by following in their steps, if money means more to you than your hobby and keeping it alive then youre tertiary enjoyer of said hobby.
>>
>>9457605
It depends. If a retro store is selling a game for $20 they probably will only make $5 to $10 on that game.

If that same game now sells for $80 the retro store will probably still only make $10 because he probably bought it when it was $70. It's not always the seller's fault. It is more often the fault of people that buy retro games.

If Kirby Nes was put up for auction and was the last of 1000 existing copies with a starting bid of $50, it wouldn't be long before one collector bids $60, another $80, $130 etc.. until the game reaches a price no one is willing to go higher than.

If I have a copy of Kirby I want to sell and it is regularly going for $300 I would be an imbecile to sell it for less than that. It would just get scooped up fast and resold again.

Blame your fellow buyers, not the sellers. Any seller that tries to set their own imaginary price beyond what buyers are willing to pay often doesn't make a sale. Good luck listing SMB/Duck Hunt for $500 when it is being sold for less than $20 on the same site.

I highly doubt any scalpers sold the PS5's listed at $4999 back during launch. But scalping a product that is currently still in production is an entirely different issue.
>>
It's shit, the counter is always occupied by hoodrats selling 5 broken xboxes and 15 years of sports and call of duty games. Or a wii with 25 shovelware games.The game selection is picked over pretty frequently, though I have been impressed with the number of consoles they keep available. I only go to hunt for dvds and blu rays anymore. Then again, I don't see the point of buying retro games in the current year when flash carts, odes, and emulation exist unless you really want a particular game for nostalgia.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.