[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wario4.jpg (618 KB, 1280x853)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
This game was pretty weird, right? It's not just me?
>>
>>9439321
It was the segue into WarioWare.
>>
>>9439321
Wierd in what way? It has some pretty wacky characters but very straight forward gameplay. I think it stands out as one of the few games to truly present a consol quality package on the gba
>>
>>9439321
best game in the series imo
virtual boy wario land would be my favorite if it wasnt so short, though
>>
>>9439321
>This game was pretty weird, right?
No.
>It's not just me?
Yes.
>>
>>9439335
Based and correct take
>>
>>9439335
As someone who's always dearly loved WL1, I guess I owe it to myself to play the VB game.
>>
>>9439327
This. Not a lot of people notice but the music in particular combined with the shit happening on screen makes this game seem fucking dreamlike. Carries over a lot of the same vibes as the first wario ware as a result. I think the most glaring examples are all the repeated but pitch shifted voice lines that give wario laughing this very video gamey robotic sound. I love that shit
>>
>>9439321
Just a cop-out for normies; the invincible Wario concept is where the series had found itself.
>>
>>9440123
>the invincible Wario concept
literally garbage filth. That is why WL & WL4 are considered classics while the others aren't.
>>
>>9440129
>[citation relevant outside your head needed]
>>
>>9439321
It wasn't that weird for a Wario Land title
>>
>>9439321
It's got that brand of japanese tryhard wackiness that they attached to the Wario brand around this time yeah
>>
>>9439321
I find it a bit weird, comes to mind the sound room
>>
>>9440157
The music in particular, yes. It adds to the whole "kooky Japanese game" vibe that the other entries didn't have
>>
File: 1663105686811.jpg (17 KB, 377x377)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>9439331
>>
Look guys look it's one of my greatest achievement, Wario Land 4 on the game boy advance.
>>
>>9439321
I thought it was pretty fucking weird. It's the kind of game I found unsettling enough to play once and never again. Bad juju for me
>>
Wario has always had silliness in his games. Just look at the ratfish from 3
>>
>>9440412
Shame, I guess. Even while it was also weird to me, I still replayed it thrice or so
>>
Yeah it's one of the artsiest games Nintendo published, could pass for a weird edgy 90s MTV thing sometimes. I respect it a lot for that.

>>9440109
>not a lot of people notice
I think everyone notices anon. Crescent Moon Village actually plays on the original Warioware for god's sake, it's very obvious.
>>
>>9440109
To me, it was mainly how the three minigames you play for boss medals have the same kind of split-second surrealism as a lot of WarioWare's microgames.
>>
>>9440129
WL2 is almost as good as the first one. The invincibility isn't where I would have taken the series if it was up to me, but they actually make it work, they make it fun.

It's essentially the sort of game which David Cage would make if he wasn't a completely talentless hack fraud, or a creepy sex pervert. It's all about the platforming, exploration, and treasure hunting, you CAN take unlimited hits but you end up paying for it in the literal sense, with how you need to spend cash to unlock the final bonus dungeon, as well as affecting your endings (which are multiples, each with their own path of levels). The status effect abilities are also fun and novel.

>>9440480
>could pass for a weird edgy 90s MTV thing sometimes. I respect it a lot for that.
Agree, and same.
>>
>>9439321
>Wario is Mario fucked up bizzaro villain
>Warios villains are more fucked up than Wario
This should be how they think about Warios World I want a wario galaxy and see how weird his world is
>>
sound test manage to unnerve me as a runt in k-mart
>>
>>9439321
All WL games are. 4 might just be the weirdest of the bunch.
>>
>>9439321
Are there any games similar to this in terms of weird aesthetic? Not even Earthbound matches its oddness except maybe the Magicant level.

>>9439331
OP's was likely referring to the aesthetic. I clearly remember the background for the last stage in Toy Block Tower being indescribable when I first encountered it as a 7 year old. Not even the strangest cartoons I've watched like Billy and Mandy or KND matched its level of strangeness. The music was surreal, sounded like Frank Zappa filtered through LSD.
>>
File: 1662964524638.png (119 KB, 450x405)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
Gameboy-era Nintendo has this wacky, off-beat charm to it from the minds of imaginative B/C-teams. They'd never do stuff like this again outside of lame remakes.
>>
>>9441102
Correction, I meant to say the last stage in The Big Board. That whole level was like some ironic children's show design you'd see in Hot Topic in 2003.
>>
>>9441106
Not just Nintendo, Monster Party had the same quirks. It wouldn't surprise me if it had some influence on Wario Land.
>>
>>9439321
>game with an incredible soundtrack
>has CDs you collect in the levels and a sound test room
>all of the CDs are just random shit like dogs barking or a fly buzzing instead of the game's actual OST
this always bothered me
>>
>>9441807
It's fitting as it just adds to the weirdness. Soft Shell and the hidden track were from the OST however.
>>
best game in the series and one of the best platformers overall.
>>
>>9441824
The gameplay is pretty straightforward as the second poster said and the rush back to the start of the level element seems Metroid-esque. The aesthetic is what's more or less strange that no other game seems to carry.
>>
>>9441552
>Monster Party influence on Wario Land
I'd be curious to hear which elements of WL give you MP vibes.
>>
>>9441807
>>9441819
>Wario is vulgar anti-hero
>game is generally crude, features things which are cartoonishly gross, strange, kinda dark, everything you'd expect from a Wario title
>out of nowhere there's a level with the song MEDAMAYAKI, an offbeat, almost haunting song with horribly compresses Japanese singing that sounds like something out of a children's show
I have to wonder if they intended for the inclusion of that song to be so completely bizarre.
>>
>>9441834
The quirky vibe
The weird level design
Bizarre enemies
One level is reminiscent of Hotel Horror
Transformations are central to each level
>>
>>9439321
Shokora, my beloved.
>>
HURRY UP
>>
File: JIcAriu.png (217 KB, 457x491)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>9439321
Why do Wario Land bosses look so fucked up or have some crazy ass premises?
>>
>>9443990
Somebody sneaked ayahuasca into the game developers' sake during after work karaoke night.
>>
https://youtu.be/kwp1B_IlVXc?list=PLfGHCAsUExzR4mv485f4nZZGhUThuXt64
>>
>>9444427
The soundtrack was done using a Roland ED SC8850. I recognized the "Dow" sound effect in Tyler the Creator's Igor's Theme and initially thought he was sampling Wario Land 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7A_9ItBJYs

You should remember those chants from Crescent Moon Village.
>>
File: 1665556668230.jpg (11 KB, 350x219)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>9439327
Too bad warioware forever ruined Wario.
>>
>>9445365
I always thought the whole idea of mini games and reusing an OST was lazy. We're long past due for a new Wario Land.
>>
>>9440213
You disagree?
>>
Very weird and experimental. Wario's aesthetic is have a firehose turned on and just spraying out whatever, and it works.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.