[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>outlived warcraft, starcraft, and command and conquer. Hell, outlived it's own sequel
How did this game do it? Is it the best RTS ever made?
>>
This and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The video game industry underestimated the power of poor people's computers.
>>
blizzard had to fuck with things and killed their own classics.
>>
>>9436668
I mean, I always thought so. but there were so many starcraft fanboys back in the day. and a large amount of red alert fans... I guess they were just a loud minority
>>
>>9436621
Ironic because as a lad I played it way less than starcraft, warcraft 3, or red alert
>>
>Is it the best RTS ever made?
It's up there, it helped that EA and blizzard ruined their own series
>>
>>9436621
>it's
>>
>>9436720
thanks for the bump bud
>>
I wonder if the historic, "realistic" setting helped its popularity. Normalfags maybe are put off by fantasy or scifi
>>
>>9436621
>outlived Command and Conquer

Not by much. Last C&C release was just 2 years ago, and made by the original devs. RA3 and Kane's Wrath still gets fan made content, there was a 4k texture patch not too long ago.
>>
>>9436763
That was the intention.
Have another one.
>>
>>9436621
Nobody would care about it if it never got a Steam re-release. Brood War is still the superior RTS game by far, but nu-Blizzard is a shitpile.
>>
>>9436846
well thanks fren, you can check out pic related (star wars galactic battlegrounds) it is like AoE2, made in the same engine, but with fewer, more differentiated civs to pick from

>>9436851
why do you prefer Starcraft? just curious.
>Nobody would care about it if it never got a Steam re-release.
I never stopped playing AoE2 since it came out practically so I would definitely care lol. I remember when the forgotten empires was a mod
>>
>>9436868
>why do you prefer Starcraft? just curious.
Playing different factions actually feels like playing different factions, the gameplay is a lot less clunky in general, the balance is a lot better.
>>
>>9436913
>Playing different factions actually feels like playing different factions
true
>the gameplay is a lot less clunky in general
i don't feel this way, but whatever

aoe 2 's main advantage is the variety of strategies... I can start walling the fuck out of my territory and choking the enemy with my towers. i like to play rts the wrong way anyway, where i turtle endlessly and shut off the opponet. or profit off of trading with 2 opposing players/ai
>>
>>9436929
does turtling really work in AoE2 competitive?
>>
>>9436868
This is what I grew up playing. Way more complex and comfy to play.
Fuck AoE2.
>>
>>9437001
Not really but like i said i like to "play it wrong"
>>
>>9437017
fuck you
>>
>>9436621
It's not a fair comparison, those games haven't had any patch since last decade, AoE2 is still in active development and receiving new annual DLCs. Anyway, how do you balance a game if you kept adding new civs that break the balance? Find out how with the upcoming DLC where they add old civs from original AoE!
>>
>>9436621
I started playing it recently and yes, I think it's the best.
I played Warcraft 3 and RA3 semi-competitively. AoE2 is an amazing RTS.
>>
>>9436778
I think it actually stalled the popularity. Berries? Hunting boars?
I mean, some map descriptions say "...and the fish is abundant in here". You're fighting for FUCKING FISH.
>>
Fifteen years ago, I would've completely expected Microsoft to be the one to dig up and defile the corpse of one of their beloved franchises before Blizzard. It's amazing just how much that company ruined their entire game lineup.

I know everyone has something to blame from Activision to China to whatever, but I really wish we knew for certain what went wrong at Blizzard, if only so we can see the signs in other companies. It appears to have been a clusterfuck of catastrophic proportions, how did the cancer metastasize so quickly and completely to them?
>>
>>9436621
Brood War has more players
>>
>>9436621
I played it with a friend last thursday. I preferred the star wars skin version as a kid though. Having flight was a cool element.
>>
>>9437350
Aoe "ultra faggot edition" recieves patches. Aoe 2 hd has not since 2014.
>>
>>9437017
It was better most of the time yeah. I liked trade federation so I wouldn't need houses.
>>
>>9437576
Really? I thought aoe 2 did
>>
>>9437586
>Faggotten Empires' HD
Ishygddt
>>
>>9437482
yea this is some big time bullshit i downloaded warcraft 3 that i had from years ago and wonder why it was taking so long and its downloading 40gb of shit
>>
>SC:BW is so popular in korea they have their own private battle.net clone server to play on
>Blizzard starts pushing SC2
>most koreans don't give a fuck since it doesn't have the micro-play SC:BW does
>Blizzard gets butthurt and tells the pro tournaments they will block them from broadcasting the game through lawyers
>some pros move on to SC2 since they can't do SC:BW tournaments for big money anymore
>Blizzard moves onto next thing, it's OK to do SC:BW tournaments again, 99% of the pros move back
>Blizzard suddenly realizes there's money to be made on SC:BW again
>pushes out a remaster that actually fixes a few long-standing bugs and adds in stuff map-makers have been hacking into the game like sideways ramps
>good to the point the pros finally abandon 1.16, let the private server die off, and switch back to battle.net official
>strategies keep getting crazier, like that guy who did early-game burrow-powered harassment with zerglings with great effectiveness
>as recently as two pro tournaments ago, a protoss player made fucking scouts in a match and they were instrumental in his victory over terran
I never would have imagined how crazy pro-level SC:BW has gotten since the game was originally abandoned by Blizzard on patch 1.16. I can only imagine how AoE2 has evolved over time. Anyone here with any knowledge who could tell us?
>>
>>9436851
Starcraft is great, but so is AoE2, there's a reason it's still remembered very fondly and still gets played.
>>
>>9437893
SC only became a big as it is because plastic people couldn't play anything else.
>>
>>9437573
Bobby Kotick. There are other reasons, but he is definitely the primary cause for Blizzard's collapse in terms of quality. The other major contributors are the phone game industry (Candy Crush specifically, as part of Activision's portfolio) being more profitable with very low development costs and massively disproportionate returns, and WoW's development requiring tons of resources.
Blizzard was owned by various companies in the 90s, some even worse than Activision. But it had more autonomy then. The studio put most of its resources on WoW, which delayed Starcraft II significantly and pretty much ruined development of Diablo III for years. Right after WoW released, as in within 18 months, Kotick started trying to acquire it and succeeded. So there was an internal destabilization of resources by the demands of WoW, followed quickly by acquisition by a new, much more invasive parent company.
Kotick's practices have been detailed elsewhere. The short summary is he doesn't care about anything other than money, and he removed or drove out creative talent. The Starcraft and Diablo sequels eventually got made, but the focus within Blizzard was on WoW because that is the reason Kotick acquired the company in the first place, was the subscription income.
>>
SCBW is just better than AOE2. The strategies used in SC are even more insane and varied. Crazy moments can happen because of the insanely different yet somehow balanced factions. Watching youtube best moments clips between the games says it all
>>
>How did this game do it? Is it the best RTS ever made?
It's a simple game, with ties with real life counterparts and it just makes sense. Attracting a fresh new player to it is easy, you don't need to teach deep mechanics or gameplay, it goes as simple as 'build houses and gather resources'. Picking a civilization to play with is easier than relating with races or other kind of factions.

From the player acquisition onwards, it depends how enfranchised the play group is. But doing casual games once in a while, in different game modes, is enough. And game has the depth once player wants to pursue it.
>>
>>9437980
1000x this. You can almost perfectly time the Activision merger with the slow exodus of long-standing senior talent there. And after 2008, it was pretty clear they were just milking their WoW cash cow, so more people left. And then they started airdropping in the trannies, etc.
>>
>>9437573
WoW. That corrupted them. For years they only did WoW, only to then try other games, but their minds were rotted by the patch it later, content drip, games as a service, paid content corruption that working on WoW caused. They forgot how to make the types of games they did before WoW.
>>
>>9438116
SC is more based on micro technique, AOE2 is more macro focused and with the random map variance there is a wider variance in strategies that would be employed. Also, there is a more involved tech tree.
>>
>>9438261
>SC is more based on micro technique
wrong. macro is just as important and if you micro is capable having better macro is usually preferred
>AOE2 is more macro focused
aka more boring
>random map variance there is a wider variance in strategies that would be employed
procedural generation has never been a good cop-out for not wanting to do game design
>Also, there is a more involved tech tree.
it amounts more to making sure you're clicking checkboxes than actually making meaningful decisions and progressing the game and your strategies like it does in starcraft
>>
File: 12446.png (61 KB, 800x800)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>9436621
>How did this game do it?
It achieves a near perfect balance in everything it needs to do.
Looks real good, instantly recognizable, runs on basically any computer you can find nowadays.
Gameplay is neither too simple nor too complex, just enough to neither bore you nor overwhelm you.
Civilizations all feel and play in unique ways, but are also easy and quick to pick up and learn.
It's a genius work of game design that achieves near perfect balance in all of it's components, with each gameplay component lacking in some department but also enhancing what another component lacks. It's the yin-yang of videogames.
>>
>>9437893
I miss watching MSL/OSL and proleague every fucking day after school back when those competitions were still a thing
before the dark days... before SC2
>>
File: AoE2 Campaigns.jpg (107 KB, 800x600)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>9436621
My favourite RTS.
I honestly think the reason it's lived so long is down to a combination of a fantastic setting and aesthetic (Medieval is so easy for lots of people to understand and enjoy, and lends nicely to the RTS genre), and also the incredible single player content.
The campaigns are still my favourite of any RTS and it's not even close. The skirmish modes were robust too, and for many many years I enjoyed the game only playing against CPU and the occasional LAN with friends. Combine that with really good mechanics and updates to make it very viable for multiplayer online and you get a big playerbase and fun online to guarantee you can always find games relative to your skill level.
Oh and finally, the remasters were really good and didn't try to change aesthetics or gameplay (AND they have the originals still available if anyone really wants to play them)
>>
>>9437573
The usual. Studio has talent, gets bought by people who want money. Talent moves on to other projects and accountants start to run the place.
>>
>>9437893
AOE2HD is still going strong, relatively speaking. New factions are still being added and there's lots of balance changes.
I think AOE2 is awesome and really fun on a casual level, but pro wise it seems like there's a lot of barriers. The archer is such an excellent unit and it doesn't eat up food which lets you keep shitting out villagers. Melee has additional problems because buildings have so much hp and villagers can essentially defend themselves via quick-walling.
But I don't think there's enough talent in AOE2 competitive to know for sure. The people that play are the best in the world, for sure. And way better than me. But I think if AOE2 attracted more outsiders there would be much more developed strategies.
>>
>>9436621
>based on real history
dropped. i want fantasy, not a retelling of middle school.
>>
>>9436621
>How did this game do it?
Really good pathfinding.
>>
>>9438981
Hey I like SC2 (in terms of the actual minute-to-minute gameplay, the story is something else entirely), but it's such a different beast from 1 that you can't really compare them in terms of design philosophy. They may both have terrans, zerg and protoss but they are apples and oranges otherwise, and quite frankly I think that's to its benefit because then 2 different audiences have a game to play, depending on whether they mechanically prefer 1 or 2
>>
>>9439116
Typical brainlet drovel
>>
Why do SC players get so single-minded and focused on micro lol? I love brood war, but even brood war has less micro than WC3. AoE2 has more micro than SC2 even. Don't get me wrong BW is a fantastic game, but just the variety and complexity from the first few seconds of the game of AoE2 is mindblowing. Such a great game.
>>
>>9439167
>drovel
lmao, retard can't even write a three word response without a typo due to pure butthurt. WC3 rapes your history channel garbage. throat a dick little nigger.
>>
>>9439196
Touche. I even double checked on Google before posting, to see if it was synonymous with drivel and didn't realize it gave me the definition for drivel until now.
>>
File: 1669184408022870.png (863 KB, 637x958)
863 KB
863 KB PNG
If I went to the great big lan party in the sky, I'd have this on my setup.
>>
>>9437573
Microsoft hiring a lot of the fan devs who were keeping AoE2 alive was a brilliant move, a shame they fucked up AoM's re-release.
>>
>>9439657
And theres even women too... Is this really a lan party or one of those 3rd world computer cafes
>>
>>9439667
Wasn't the AoM EE thing because of outsourcing? I assume if they ever make a DE (supposedly that was meant to be next on the docket after AoE3 DE), they won't fuck it up this time.
Shitty Chinese faction would probably still be in DE tho
>>
>>9439795
>I assume if they ever make a DE
It's already been confirmed but I think it's called like Age of Mythology Retold or something
>>
>>9436621
I think its interesting to see historical battles like that. Thats what made it very popular.
As a game it has a lot of same units with slight differences which makes it look more complex for newcomers than it actually is(which adds to point i made). Everything about the game is same really i think its much worse than even C&C not to mention Starcraft and Warcraft.
>>
>>9436621
>Hell, outlived it's own sequel
you mean AoE3? The HD remake?
I don't get it.
>>
>>9436778
>I wonder if the historic, "realistic" setting helped its popularity.
probably. my parents didn't really allow me to play games when I was a kid but I showed the demo to my dad and he thought it was a game with enough educational content in it to let me have it. And I did learn a lot about history from it, the campaigns were somewhat accurate and informational.
the fact that it was heavily shilled by microsoft in every store definitely helped too.
>>
>>9437586
>definitive (the best version) edition is LE BAD while the incredibly low effort port HD edition is LE GOOD because... um... they just are, ok???
nice argument, retard
>>
>>9436778
Could be. When I was a teen, one of my friends despised fantasy/sci-fi games and loved Civ3, AoE, then AoE 2 and FPSs like Counter Strike and Vietcong.
Years later he got me into World of Warcraft, so I guess he softened his stance on fantasy settings.
>>
>>9440626
I assume he means in terms of popularity and playerbase. Personally, I think AOE3 is a very good game, but it's also a very, very different game from 2 and that is both to its detriment and benefit.
>>
>>9440774
I also like AoE 3 multi-player and agree it's very different from 2. Closer to Age of Mythology in its mechanics, while being its own thing.
My main gripe with 3 is the campaign from the base game that is awful, coming from the historical campaigns of 2.
>>
>>9440925
I like the middle of the 3 campaigns but I hate the two that come before and after it.
>>
>>9441020
Yeah, the middle campaign is more enjoyable as the "muh secret society conspiracy" takes a back seat. It's just that I really liked the campaigns from the first two games in how they tried to relate historical events, with a bit of fictionalization.
But 3 goes full ancient far-fetched conspiracy meets Forrest Gump for its main plot. At least the expansions fixed this... except the wonky AD Chinese story.
>>
>>9440925
>>9441058
Totally agree, I loved the historically (mostly) accurate campaigns from AOE2 and it was great having multiple smaller campaigns for different civs. Really disliked the fantasy bend they had for AoE3 following one family/guy around his Indiana Jones adventures.
>>
The 50 unit limit made me so mad.
>>
>>9441234
its 200 in aoe 2 and even rise of rome. i still like the small scale battles in base aoe1
>>
>>9439164
I also like SC2, but man was its development and tournament life a complete clusterfuck. It started out pretty retarded in WoL but developed into something pretty awesome going into its second year, and while it definitely had its issues, this was basically its peak. Then the Queen range patch hit, and we got nothing but Brood Lord/Infestor spam for a whole year or more. HotS fixed that shit, and it looked promising for a time, but then Zergs figured out Swarm Host spam and games routinely turned into hours-long snoozefests where literally nothing happened. So LotV comes out, fixes THAT shit, but they made the game a lot more spazztic as well, and by this time it was clear people just weren't caring anymore and pros began to leave the scene in drove, especially in Korea. It's a shame, though, because now, at the twilight of its lifespan and after some drastic changes, it actually produces some pretty fucking good games. I still think more could've been done to turn it into something truly special and worthy of its predecessor, but it's much too late. Hopefully Stormgate will take SC2's mistakes into account.
>>
>>9436868
>Pick galactic republic.
>Pick a forest or island based map.
>Turtle the whole game, wall everything.
>Spam aircruisers once you get enough resources.

Now you are playing the game like my dad.
>>
>>9436778
>realistic
So what, narratively, are RTS matches depicting? What kind of timeframe are they representing? Escalating tensions on a frontier space over the course of like 10 or 20 years? I've always wondered this because they don't really make sense to me
>>
>>9436621
This came for free on cd with Kelloggs nutri grain cereal in my shit hole country
>>
>>9436868
I would love if Galactic Battlegrounds got revived like AoE2 was.
>>9439795
I'm fine with the Chinese faction but I'm not fine with them putting zero effort into them compared to the new factions AoE2HD got with the The Forgotten and The African Kingdoms expansions.
>>
>>9442097
Well yeah I mean obviously the issue with the chinese faction is how low-effort and lazy it was. By comparison people like the Atlantean faction which was basically made from scratch in terms of mythological and historical influence.
>>
>>9442102
>the Atlantean faction which was basically made from scratch in terms of mythological and historical influence.
Not really, it's very blatantly the Romans and was the result of them originally planning to have the Romans be a faction but scrapped the idea.
>>
>>9436676
They weren't it's the fact that the game is not as competitive in it's default mode is the number 1 reason. I can play AoE 2 DE with my retarded friends and have fun in MP while they're maybe 1/10th my skill level. Meanwhile Starcraft is way too advanced for them, they sit one base gathering resources while I have like 5 bases, same goes for CNC nomrla people don't know any eco strats. And in AoE 2 you don't need any eco starts you build more workers.

Both Starcraft and Red Alert focus more on units, economy is just one or two resources.

Normies like to build stuff, AoE 2 is the best build stuff game.

There are better like Rise of Nations if you ask me I enjoy playing that game more then I do AoE 2 but for normies thats too much economy.

The Historical setting also helped normies like it more.
The logical usage of resources also helps a lot. Need defenses get stone, need expensive units you need food and gold, need buildings get wood.

AoE 2 won because it was the simplest and the most balanced of them all.

>>9436868
This game is a good example on how you could fuck the AoE 2 formula up just by making resources confusing.
>>
What I like about AoE2 is how emergent it is in comparison to its rivals. The meta is far more nebulous, and there is always room for unorthodox and versatile playstyles. E.g. pick an archer civ but win with trash units because you weren't lucky with gold.
>>
>>9437017
>>9436868
>I would love if Galactic Battlegrounds got revived like AoE2 was
This. I still play AOE2 on steam with all the expansions and buy every DLC (even though it was supposed to be the "Definitive Edition") and holy shit I wish SWGB got the same treatment. The base game has 22ish civilizations at this point and around 8 building sets, just throw some of that rad old wookie and droid shit in there please
>>
>>9442119
i agree with what you said but idk why you think starcraft is so advanced. sc1 literally the only map people play is bgh and most players hardly make more than like two units. the reason starcraft has not survived as long as aoe is because the game sucks balls playing with your friends. the game has an audience far too narrow, its almost purely seen as a 1v1 game.

starcraft really is not advanced at all. aoe multiplayer is way more complex and complicated even. its just fast.
>>
>>9442135
>(even though it was supposed to be the "Definitive Edition")
Would you rather have the game not get any more content because of the name they chose?
>>
>>9442164
>sc1 literally the only map people play is bgh
This isn't true at all. Just checked on battle.net, about 20 casual games were looking for players. 3 were BGH, 3 were Fighting Spirit, and the other 14 were all UMS custom maps. You can't play BGH on ladder either, since you're given a map from the current pool.
>>
>>9442164
I only play on Lost Temple.
>>
>>9436676
I kinda like StarCraft but StarCraft fans and "progamers" are borderline retards.
Case in point: Activision had an option of fixing pathing bugs, introducing queues to buildings and in general making the game more than a gookclicker but they caved under the pressure of fans and pro gamers because it would disrupt game balance.
Game balance in a game where you have to nerf Terran and boost zerg through map features otherwise games would be one sided.
That new maps could be made after the QoL fixes or even balance patches is something that, apparently, didn't come up.
StarCraft lives on micro "skill" alone and both players and fans have live with constant fear that there might not be actually more to the game than that (which isn't actually true - perfect micro isn't enough to dominate the game - just look at the results from BW AI researchers)
>>
>>9442790
I don't know if they fixed it but C&C Remastered also kept the retarded harvester pathing because of fans' demand.
>>
>>9442263
>Would you rather have the game not get any more content because of the name they chose?
Nah, it's more that all the new content is being released as paid DLCs when almost everyone playing the game has hard copies of AOE 1 and 2 on four discs that cost about $60 each 20 years ago. I'm by no means poverty stricken, but it just irks me and a lot of other players, do you feel?
>>
File: 1353728369872.jpg (168 KB, 927x721)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>9442126
>The meta is far more nebulous, and there is always room for unorthodox and versatile playstyles. E.g. pick an archer civ but win with trash units because you weren't lucky with gold.
I'm >>9437893 and this is exactly the sort of stuff I was asking about. Tell me more.
>>
>>9437893
>as recently as two pro tournaments ago, a protoss player made fucking scouts in a match and they were instrumental in his victory over terran
I'd like to watch this game. Can you point me in the right direction?
>>
>>9445004
Yes I can. ASL Season 12 Finals match round 3. Mini(Protoss) VS Rush(Terran). Mini originally goes for Reaver/Shuttle tech for quick observers, then suddenly throws down a Stargate. Everyone thinks "Oh, he's going for Carriers". After a failed shuttle drop, he throws down a second Stargate and people notice he's building something from the first Stargate without the Fleet Beacon. At around the 7:30 mark, Rush starts pushing across the map with tanks, vultures, marines, and some SCVs. At 8 minutes, the first scout pops out and the announcer "wut"'s. Shortly before the 22 minute mark, Mini seizes victory and Rush taps out. Match starts at 1hr 13m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahnzlVnvdPE
>>
File: deardiary.jfif.jpg (10 KB, 218x232)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>9441223
>Really disliked the fantasy bend they had for AoE3 following one family/guy around his Indiana Jones adventures
kek, well explained sir, yeah compared with the multiple campaign choice from the 2nd game, the AoE Main Campaign ended like a fucking joke, not even a funny one, especially the Simon Bolivar and Dora The Explorer arc, it was terrible, and then after that, it goes even worst.
>>
>>9445219
Love how sure Tastosis were that he was going for Carriers they didn't even notice Mini had yet to build the Fleet Beacon.
>>
>>9436621
>outlived
got milked longer and more efficiently
OP confirmed retard
>>
>>9441850
Campaign missions are usually a single battle or event. While the setting is realistic you are not meant to think about the mechanics too much.
>>
File: 1649659361018.jpg (41 KB, 680x521)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>9436621
>outlived starcraf
Where's this coming from? Starcraft 2 is still the most played rts to this day, I'm talking tens of thousands at the grind on any given day
Aoe" has a few thousand. which is great but also small potatoes next to SC"
>>
File: wololo.png (202 KB, 398x386)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>9436621
Wololo. Enough said.
>>
>>9447087
I honestly didn't think so, but it seems you're right. Still, I think has more than brood war which is kinda crazy
>>
>>9448386
Not that crazy when you realise SC2 has greater casual appeal. Brood War is intimidating to newcomers.
>>
>>9448386
Brood War is memed pretty hard online but it's basically just old pros playing with each other at this point, normafags might go through the campaign but they're not touching ladder
>>
>>9436778
Wouldn't LotR and Star Wars be far less popular then?
>>
Reminder: PS2 Version
Fully playable through PCSX2 (Software mode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6He1IteOdp8
>>
>>9448950
>PCSX2 (Software mode)
it's shit
>>
>>9448976
Since there is nothing to upscale, software mode is the only correct way of playing it. Perfect.
>>
>>9448950
>>9449535
What resolution is it and its PAL version? Can you get a perfect progressive output?
>>
>>9443620
I am extremely happy with the DE upgrade and updates to PVP. I'm not bothered with getting more content for games I love. I don't really care about the single player though, if that matters, and comp stomping for me is also not made worse whatsoever by the optional DLCs.
Also, dedicated servers.
>>
Cossacks European Wars is better
>>
>>9436621
Yes.
It's simple enough that it's reasonably easy to get the hang of it, but complex enough that it allows for profound mastering. The perfect balance.
>>
>>9436929
How do you avoid getting rekt if the enemy comes at you with two dozen bombard canons and a large cavalry?
I tend towards turtling but always get overwhelmed this way.
>>
File: 1654433511527.jpg (130 KB, 683x1024)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Its so god damn unfun playing against korean teenagers who play for 12 hours a day. It was not like that in the olden days
>>
File: aoe2.jpg (98 KB, 616x353)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>9449947
>I tend towards turtling
Found the issue.
There's a reason why pro games end quickly. They realize that the best defense is a good offense. I'm not even close to being good at the game, but my victories have always been in the early or mid game. Killing a bunch of villagers is often enough to make the enemy capitulate.
>>
>>9449947
Its like rock paper scissors when countering projectiles.
>>
>>9448950
This feels super claustrophobic to me somehow.
Like, more so than playing the original at a low resolution, like I did in the old days.
BTW, how does it feel to play with USB MKB?
>>
What's best civ then???
>>
>>9438993
DE did xhange the aesthetics though, HD and original look comfier
>>
>>9438993
>Oh and finally, the remasters were really good and didn't try to change aesthetics or gameplay
I'M STILL FUCKING SALTY ABOUT AOE1DE
>>
>>9437893
Watch the latest Red Bull tournament, even F1 helped a bit with the sponsoring.
Also the tournament was fucking nuts.

>>9437980
Bobby Kotick also HATES id Software because they wanted them to be their cashcow for CoD games, until Zenimax showed up and bought them off a literal legal hole that let id sell themselves off to another company.
There is a reason of why raven software is in such a shitshow these days.
Also he blocked microsoft of getting Mechwarrior 2 rights and only let rebellion remaster battlezone because he id that to fuck pandemic since the 98 and 2:combat Commander ip's belongs to Electronic Arts
>>
>>9452947
They remastered all of it and had to remade the voices, but the new ones are soulful as fuck
Also Forgotten empires campaigns got fixed and received voice acting as the newest ones
if you own AOE2HD you can get 2DE for a dime during sales.
Also they did something blizzard told the community to fuck off and eat a dick which is proper Custom Campaigns support
>>
>>9452986
Is there a hope for them in Microsoft now though?
>>
>>9448950
What reason could you possibly have to play this on a PS2 nowadays? Or a PS2 emulator of all things?
>>
>>9452837
Some I like playing as
>Huns
No housing issues, easy to fast castle.
>Mongols
Can use hunting bonus for fast feudal. Also has one of the best unique units in the game.
>Spanish
Best team player in the game. Also has cannon galleons that don't suck.
>Persians
Can win a game against hardest AI in a couple of minutes, but otherwise nothing special.
>>
>>9453128
lets see how far sony will do to delay the deal.
>>
>>9452837
Goths / Teutons, because of their unit quotes
>>
>>9442119
Love the shout out to Rise of Nations. Criminally underrated game. But yeah, huge focus on economy, almost to the point where I would say combat is secondary to growing economy and making sure all your shit is researched.
>>
>>9452995
I know I still own both, mainly play DE for the multiplayer while singleplayer and custom maps go on HD
>>
>>9452837
Mayans are the patrician choice really
>>
>>9453153
I wonder how hard would it be to sell Activision by parts instead of the whole thing at once in that case.
>>9453167
>But yeah, huge focus on economy, almost to the point where I would say combat is secondary to growing economy and making sure all your shit is researched.
And that is a good thing.
>>
>>9438116
What videos would you recommend ?
>>
>>9440640
Imagine a father caring about what his son is consuming.
>>
>>9436621
It didn't outlive StarCraft.
Starcraft/Brood War is still being played and custom maps being made.
>>
>>9453238
Starcraft was remastered after HD and people were playing AoE2 tournaments for years even before that.
>>
>>9436778
Fantasy and scifi are the most normalfag genres out there
>>
>>9453227
Uh isn't that the point of parenthood? But I agree banning video games is just stupid. I can't imagine my childhood withiut them.
>>
File: 1655841059269.jpg (17 KB, 193x261)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>9453313
>and people were playing AoE2 tournaments for years even before that
You mean while Brood War was inventing modern e-sports? Seriously watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aw-42JO3qk to get an idea, and this was 2010 not ancient history

Nevermind RTS, no other game has (or ever will) come close to the sheer size and splendor of peak BW
>>
File: 1632946322182.png (24 KB, 578x538)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>9453227
Please never be a parent.
>>
>>9436851
I like Brood War as much as the next guy but come on now, they're both classics.

>>9453207
Until every game becomes an info age rush to see who can get Statue of Liberty and stealth bombers first
>>
>>9436851
https://store.steampowered.com/app/813780/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition/
>>
>>9436778
It makes it easier to play as basic knowledge can be used ingame. Everyone knows that copper is weaker than iron, or a scout is weaker than a knight but something mage vs druid, or plasma vs force who the fuck knows, or could be different from game to game.
>>
>>9454109
This is literally as close to the release of Brood War as it is to this day...
Meanwhile, AoE2 is still receiving new content.
>>
>>9448950
There was a DS version but it was a completely different and a pretty good turn based strategy game.
>>
>>9445219
Thanks for the link, really interesting games. It's really impressive how reactive both players were too each other instead of relying on strength of build orders e.g ferrying dragoons to counter vulture drops in game 3.
>>
>>9454325
It also helps you understand why China doesn't have access to things they developed.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.