[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l300.jpg (28 KB, 224x300)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Yearly reminder that Sonic Jam is a must-own for any serious Hedgehog fan
>>
There's no reason to play this beyond messing around in the 3D hub.
>>
>>9433508
which is why, its a must own.

Duh.
>>
>>9433503
I played it. It's gay.
>>
It's an interesting oddity in that it doesn't use emulation if I recall correctly, every game was rebuilt from the ground up for the hardware.
>>
File: bartleby.png (41 KB, 200x200)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>9433503
>no Bartleby
>no play
>>
>>9433503
It runs like shit and randomly stutters all the time. Try it out then compare to the originals or just about any other port of them. Sonic Jam stutters and I wish it weren't true but it's painfully obvious.
t. Saturn enjoyer since US launch day
>>
File: img_1_1668866435859.jpg (168 KB, 1075x1678)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>9433746
See
>>9433797
>>
>>9433503
I own Japanese copy.
>>
The ports are passable but inferior to the originals, their replacement sound effects suck. Playing Sonic World with a 3D controller is fun but only lasts maybe 20 minutes.
>>
>>9433797
The only one that has weird slowdowns is Sonic 2 (but, the original also has slowdowns, in places where in Sonic Jam version doesn't. Jam version just has slowdown where the original didn't have it). Otherwise, Sonic 1, 3 and S&K play perfectly fine. Oh also, the multiplayer in Sonic 2 is actually playable in Sonic Jam, whereas the original was ridded with slowndown to the point of being unplayable.
>>9434691
>their replacement sound effects suck
Not really and in fact Jam fixes the sound glitches in Sonic 3's Ice Cap Act 2, making the music and sound effects coexist without any issue.
Sonic Jam really is a must for any self-proclaimed fan of Sonic.
>>
I've seen some serious Sonic the Hedgehog fans and I'd rather not be associated with them
>>
>>9435220
Classic Sonic fans != post 1998 Sonic fandom
>>
>>9435229
Bold to assume that the shitty ones aren't the Classic Sonic autists
>>
File: sonicpasta.png (664 KB, 806x806)
664 KB
664 KB PNG
Yearly reminder that Sonic Pasta is a must-own for any serious Hedgehog fan
>>
>>9435214
>speed shoe resets the music
>sound effects are muffled and canned and almost sounds like an old emulator
it could have been better
>>
>>9435462
>sonic pasta
ahaha yuup I ate a ton of this shit. pasta just tastes better when it’s going fast. i always wanted to try a chili cheese dog and then in high school I made some fat friends in high school and we went to 7/11 and made them by buying hot dogs and using the nacho cheese and chili on them. highly recommend
>>
File: Bartleby.gif (723 KB, 854x480)
723 KB
723 KB GIF
>>9433778
Based
>>
>>9436940
>reset the music
Comes with CD territory. It still has its pros over the original
>muffled
buzzword
>>
I own all the Genesis sonic games
>>
I'm glad I only paid $35 for this game in 2010 instead of the pants on head retarded prices it goes for now.
>>
>>9438043
Do you own case and manual? I don't care if you bought a loose disc
>>
Of course I got the case and manual, I'm not a peasant.
>>
>>9438043
Even JP copies went up drastically in price once they realized the gaijins were the ones importing them.
>>
>>9438032
That is respectable (and I hope you do have the japanese version of Sonic 1 for the better parallax scrolling), but Sonic Jam has Sonic 2 multiplayer without slowdown and Sonic 3's Ice Cap Act 2 without sound glitches.
I recommend owning both, the 16-bit originals and the Sonic Jam disc. You don't really need anything else. Well, the original 1993 Sonic CD for Sega CD as well.
>>
>get Jam
>playing Sonic 2
>get an extra life
>the music stops, the 1-up jingle plays, then the music starts over
Okay, or I could just play on Genesis or the decomps.
>>
>>9438491
>music track starts again so that you get to listen from the start instead of being interrupted
based.
There should have been an option in Sonic games to turn off the 1-up fanfare though. Or make it a more minimalist fanfare that doesn't get in the way of the music.
>>
>>9438491
I've had a good time with the decomps, I didn't notice any problem plus there's some nice options like the dropdash (at least in Sonic 2)
https://teamforeveronline.wixsite.com/home
>>
>>9437253
it's not a buzzword, the sound effects are noticeably different and inferior to the ones used in the original games
>>
>>9439491
Yeah they're really fucking sick, I played them all last June or so. I think all four (1, 2, 3&K, CD) have the drop dash option now.
https://mega.nz/folder/VC8m3KKK#1uPokCSWN83wy4Uz2TeaPA
>>
>>9439543
If anything they sound even clearer and louder
>>
>>9435462
I had this as a kid. It was just chef boyardee with semi sonic looking pasta.
>>
>>9438214
>but Sonic Jam has Sonic 2 multiplayer without slowdown an
You keep saying that lie anybody gives a fuck. I own a Saturn and I'm not buying sonic jam for a shitty 2 player mode that nobody fucking plays anyway a singular sound. Go fuck yourself.
>>
The only worthwhile thing when it comes to Sonic Jam is the Sonic World 3D run around area. Otherwise it's just another 1/2/3&K collection with subpar emulation.
>>
>>9433746
Which is actually a less-good thing since Sonic 2 in particular runs pretty crap.
>>
>>9440132
It's not a lie though.
>>
>>9433503
Already own them on Genesis
>>
>>9440206
It doesn't use emulation, you fucking tard.
>>
>>9435462
Canned botulism. Yum.
>>
>>9440736
see: >>9438214
>>
It's cool to finally know the names of the friends that Sonic frees.
>>
>>9440780
Was Jam the first instance of a game including digital manuals?
Also holy shit does it have SOUL
>>
>>9433503
It's not even the best Sonic compilation

>>9438214
>Well, the original 1993 Sonic CD for Sega CD as well.
What's wrong with the Windows 95 version? Has better FMV cutscenes and isn't absurdly expensive to own.
>>
>>9433503
>shit music playback
>inherent input lag
yikes and cringepilled
>>
>>9435462
why can't i outgrow this fucking food, i still love pizza lunchables and sunny d, what have they done to us
>>
>>9440225
Think he meant like not lie
>>
>>9440754
Well if it's native that's even more embarrassing.
>>
>>9440780
>Cucky

Is Sonic fuckin' his wife?
>>
>>9440858
>input lag
Why are anti-Jam fags such liars? Why does a soulful collection of classic games make them seethe this much?
>>
>>9433503
so is rope
>>
>>9442269
Sorry, it does have input lag. Verified on my real saturn on a CRT vs. a real mega drive on a CRT.
It's because it's basically all the problems of emulation even though it's technically a source port. They are running the original logic and tapping into it to draw the display and feed it with Saturn inputs. This is precisely the same failing the majority of emulators have in that they are sampling controller input at a set point to run the emulation in a batch and then drawing the output once it knows the state of the hardware. It makes for the maximum possible time between pressing a button and having the effects display.
>>
>>9440871
we are american, this is our culture.
>>
>>9442723
Why do you keep lying?
>>
>>9441524
Being native can't do anything about the missing sound hardware. The audio is shit, since its just playing back a low quality recording from a genesis.
>>
>>9442924
No him. But what he is saying is plausible. The genesis uses a just in time line rendering gpu, whilst the Saturn uses a frame buffer. Frame buffered rendering adds an extra frame of delay unless special care is taken.
>>
>>9442723
It's the same with Saturn version of 3D Blast. They didn't actually rewrite the game for Saturn, they just made a genesis->saturn interpreter and then fed the genesis version through that. If traveler's tales could do it I'd be surprised if Sega wouldn't.
>>
>>9440871
>pizza lunchables
Because they’re fucking delicious. It’s odd though that tombstone frozen pizzas taste like ass compared to them.
>>
>>9440119
>sounds like a broken old emulator
>better
they could have got it perfect but they didn't
>>
>>9440825
That is a very weird pick for best compilation.
>>
>>9443387
>>9444251
Auster, stop trying
>>
>>9444252
The titles on it were and still are annoying to find for a good price, unless again you go for the Windows 95 versions. Sonic the Fighters came out of left field and was surprisingly good imo. Pretty much it's the only compilation that doesn't focus exclusively on the Genesis games, which are both cheap and very easy to emulate.
>>
>>9444887
The original Genesis games are the premier experience. You're better off playing them on a cheap Model 2 Genesis through RF than you are to buy a Saturn to play cartridge-based games from a disc with load times that make speed shoe and invincibility awkwardly pause the music every time and then reset it.
If you only have a Saturn, then it's not a bad choice but it's a 7/10 to the original games. There are much better options beyond it. For anyone who doesn't have a Saturn, there are much better games to justify getting one.
>>
>>9444887
If it's really Auster, he's legitimately right for once, Jam isn't worth playing, especially if you just have a real Genesis.
>>9440825
Sonic R's best version is on Gems. There's also the 2004 PC port, but that one is really rare and I've heard it lacks some things.
>>
>>9446005
You can whine and exaggerate about the inherent issues with CD audio, but the input lag claim is bullshit and you know it.
Anti-Jam fags are a weird bunch.
>>
>>9444992
Well, that's sorta fair, but it's really only good for Fighters and R. You don't exactly want to play that version of CD.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.