[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

It's easily one of the best looking PS1 games. The sprites are amazing.
But why is the plot so dull? They put so much effort into everything but making it interesting.
>>
>>9280407
Wave Warrior EXE is canon.
It gratuitously copied this game
>>
RPGs don't really have interesting plots.
>>
>>9280416
I remember really enjoying the plot of Breath of Fire II but it was a long time ago and it's the only one I played.
>>
>>9280407
This. 3 was interesting all the way from beginning to end, but 4 I had to keep pushing myself to get through. Eventually I just gave up once you reach the area where you're at the highest point of some tower trying to escape on a kite canoe thing.
>>
jrpg plots are written by people who were considered too awful to write for anime. let that sink in
>>
>>9280473
>3 was interesting all the way from beginning to end, but 4 I had to keep pushing myself to get through.
Opposite for me.
I actually didn't finish 3 because I got bored shortly after the lighthouse.
I've replayed 4 a couple of times.
>>
>>9280407
The key is to focus on the fishing.
>>
nah sorry
best graphics go to silent hill
>>
>>9280407
I found it boring until about 10 hours in, so maybe give it some time.
>>
>>9280407
Just play III instead
>>
>>9280407
I must admit that it is weaker than the previous three games
>>
>>9280416
They often make for cool summaries, but suck while playing. Good mechanics and art make an RPG
>>
This game has been on my backlog for so long. I love III. Hearing it's boring takes a big burden off my shoulders
>>
>>9280473
>>9280485
I liked neither 3 or 4.
>>
>>9281509
The intro is too long and slow, I tried replaying it and even with a fast-forward button on my emulator I couldn't bear the tedium.

>but it gets good after 8 hours!!!
Ok no
>>
>>9280478
ROFL I need to write that one down
>>
Is the entire board full of offsite faggots now?
>PS1 JRPG is slow at the start
Yeah no fucking shit. Take your ADHD meds zoomies.
>>
>>9280407
Bad translation. The Japanese original is a good game. This is very common.
>>
>>9280478
lurk moar newfaggot
>>
>>9280485
>>9280473
Half of 3 was completely pointless.
>>
>>9281760
>>PS1 JRPG is slow at the start
that's a legit flaw and sign they haven't aged well, many older 16bit jrpgs aren't bogged down like that and newer jrpgs have "quality of life improvements"

>meds if you don't like flawed crap
stockholm syndrome
>>
>>9281765
how is it a bad translation?
>>
>>9281810
Don't bother. Someone ran out of bait to post in the EOP thread that's up and now they're crawling for scraps on the rest of the board.
>>
>>9281509
well 4 is more polished and does things better than 3 does. It's more serious and has a darker tone than 3 so I definitely would check it out if you really liked 3.
>>
>>9281778
this
there's no reason jrpgs should be slow and fans shouldn't not condition themselves to endure garbage pacing
>>
>>9280478
You told on yourself with "let that sink in".
>>
>>9280478
Bingo
>>
>>9280407
that one scene around the end when rei had to killed elina invoked some emotions in me ngl. first and only time a game did that to me.
>>
>>9280407
>>9280473
I liked them both, don't remember being bored.
>>
>>9282019
>fans
>don't actually like the games as they are and want to change them
Rope yourself.
>>
>>9282265
I had similar reaction in 2 with Nina’s sister
>>
>>9280407
I think 3's gene system did a lot to keep people interested. 4 dragons suck
>>
God forbid half the people in this thread attempt to read a book.
>>
>>9281760
I’m convinced the majority of anons here have never played a real PS1, let alone anything older. They came here primarily to talk about how PS2 looks “so unique” or something equally retarded and false.
>>
>>9282513
Yeah but the combo magic and the fact you have all 6 members with you at all times makes for a lot more fun combat
The gameplay of 4 was definitely more enjoyable than 3
>>
>>9280407
Worked for me when I was a kid because of the super cool combo system. Loved to spend hours on end grinding combos on those trees at the endgame.
BoF games were always kinda childish storywise, it's a mark of the series as a whole.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.