[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Mega Man Zero series.jpg (895 KB, 1024x1024)
895 KB
895 KB JPG
What is /vr/'s thoughts on the Mega Man Zero quadrilogy?
>>
>>9278954
Amongst the best Mega Man games. I also want to breed Leviathan, get she's a robot; it's the perfect tragedy of the most beautiful woman in the unfuckable chassis
>>
>>9278954
I tried playing Mega Man Zero back when it was new and it frustrated the hell out of me.
>graded performance in stages you can't replay
>stages you can literally miss
>stupid collectible consumables
Call me filtered or whatever, the game sucks.
>>
>>9279226
Grades don't matter in Z1 or 4 and the ranking is lenient in 2 and 3.
You only "miss" stages if you get a game over and press "abandon mission"
Consume mine nuts, nigguh
>>
>>9279227
It was literally 20 years ago, but that was how I remembered it. Were there not times where stages would disappear if you took too long in another stage or something? I swear I remember something like that happening.
>>
>>9279232
Not him, but no, that's not a mechanic in any of the games. the first game you can only miss a stage if you run out of lives and choose "Abort Mission" instead of "Reload Save". Some speed autists abort all missions to get to the fortress quick.
>>
>>9279232
No
>>
>>9279227
>Consume mine nuts, nigguh
Why are you rageposting?
>>
>>9279207
She's not real lol
>>
>>9278954
First three games are good, the last one is subpar.
>>
>>9278954
The sprites are too big for the size of the screen, way too much screen scroll in boss rooms.
>>
>>9278954
Shit, too much talking to npc and movies
>>
>>9280758
>screwattack g4 mtv millennial
>>
>>9279207
I fucking hate the admins for opening the doors to zoomer systems on /vr/. You never saw gay shit like this about SNES games or whatever.
>>
>>9281609
4chan pre-zoomers:
>wow child erotic! I want to sniff little girl panty
4chan post-zoomers:
>Gentlemen I do believe women are quite attractive
>>
>>9278954
I think I only played them because of good will from the X series, and how much I liked Zero as a character. I don't particularly like them.
>>
File: 1391285173481.jpg (326 KB, 619x650)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>9278954
Should have stopped at 3 and I didn't like the end for 4.

>>9279207
Leviathan has a hime cut.
>>
>>9278954
One's difficulty is seriously overblown, bosses die way too damn quickly to triple slash most of the time you don't even get to enjoy them.
Stages are ass due to not being able to see more than 4 step forward, leading to a lot of cheap hits.

2 is my favorite but is too damn arse to 100%,
>lol, don't die, take little to no damage, do it quickly, kill every enemy in the main route and side route, get every cyber elf, all while doing 50 backflip kills.
Fuuuuck that noisd
>>
>>9282792
>expects to get a 100% score without playing at his 100%
>>
>>9282793
I don't care for perfect scores, as long I can get my ex skills and boss' extra attacks I'm happy. It is the "do that while doing 100 lumber jack kills" (completely missable and you better know what stages are good for lumberjacks, blackflips, and slide kills) that does it for me.
>>
>>9282801
What's this about lumberjacks?
>>
I suck too badly at these games honestly. I couldn't enjoy them because of the difficulty, consider me filtered.
>>
>>9282836
Games makes it so the way to get extra armor is killing a certain number of enemies in a certain way to get 1 new armor.
Basically in one stage (any stage, only the first run counting), you have to kill x number of enemies with the dash slash, on other you have to use the jump slash, on other the shield, the buster, and so on, and can't them together. Some having high enough kill count that are best done in a certain stage.
It gets silly when you rember you have a damage score, kill count score and time score to worry about, topping with that the fact you have to find the c.elves on dtage
>>
They're pretty ugly.
>>
>>9281609
What is Castlevania Rondo of Blood?
>>
the best mega man games
>>
>>9278954
I got filtered bad

I bought Zero 2 for GBA last December and can’t beat a single level after the intro level. I keep farming shit and leveling up but I can’t save because I can’t beat the damn bosses

I love the X series though and I’ll probably just stick with that
>>
I'm stuck in limbo because I want to move on to Zero 2, 3, and 4 but I can't until I beat one but I always feel like I failed if I don't get at least B rank since I heard you miss out on armor if you don't get at least A
>>
>>9283494
All you miss is a single Cyber-Elf in Ciel's room that only opens when at A, and you only need to go in there once.
>>
>>9283494
>>9283529
You also miss Ciel's H scene.
>>
>>9283030
Meh I don't want extra armour. I'll just kill the enemies before they kill me
>>
Chock full of demotivating garbage. OK if you fix said garbage with cheats. Ranking and fucking you over for using items does NOT belong in a Megaman game.
>>
>>9285982
git gud
>>
>>9278954
Is the zero collection on the DS any good? I have it but haven’t fired it up.
>>
>>9285982
Getting an A is so God damn easy
>>9286006
Ye, the PC collection is better imo since you can install a mod to get the HQ album versions of the music
>>
>>9281609
I kind of want to fuck the robot from Blaster Master...
>>
>Zero 1
>Good foundation, but strange and counterintuitive design somewhat hurts the experience

>Zero 2
>Hardest game ever made, doesn't seem possible

That's when I stopped. I really liked 1 and I couldn't do anything in 2. Spent a whole day trying to beat a single boss and just couldn't. It's insane.
>>
>>9286270
LOL Screwattack MTV G4 millennials when they can't spam Metal Blade at the top right of the screen
>>
File: 2006-08.jpg (582 KB, 1060x1067)
582 KB
582 KB JPG
>>9283451
>>9286270
Dunno what you mean by you can't save after farming, just go back to Ciel's room.
Easiest boss for a first-timer is probably the polar bear, it's slow and stays on the ground.
I usually go for polar bear first and get the Rise armor by jump-slashing, then use it on the snake.
Snake level also has a sub tank you can pick up and start using right away.
>>
>>9286252
>use things you found
>tanks your rank
Fucking retarded
>>
>>9287492
>waaaah this game is too hard
Fine, have some Cyber Elves.
>waaaah I want to use items but still have the game tell me I'm playing well
What the fuck is your problem?
I don't know why you want A rank anyway, it causes the bosses to use harder attacks. Shunting you to the failing class is doing you a favor.
>>
>>9287507
>too hard
PLAYERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE WHAT WAS GIVEN TO THEM WITHOUT BEING PUNISHED FOR DOING SO HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND
>>
>>9287830
In MMZ there is literally one collectible hidden behind A rank and all you need to get it is average an 85 at literally any point in the game.
Look at you, bawwwing just because you get a performance rating that means nothing, lmao
>>
>>9287830
WAAAH I WANT TO PLAY THE GAME ON EASY MODE AND BE CONGRATULATED
FFS it's not like Elves will prevent you from getting A ranks altogether. There's even Elves that set your rank to A
>>
>>9287867
>There's even Elves that set your rank to A
For one mission, and then you get the permanent score penalty afterwards. They're mainly for easily getting an EX attack if you're having trouble on it.
>>
File: 1204283068531.jpg (64 KB, 524x483)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>9287867
>>9287859
>A rank

I WANT S RANK FUCK YOU AND I WANT TO USE ALL THE ITEMS AS WELL JUST MAKE IT HARDER AND LET ME USE THE ITEMS REEEE
>>
>>9287873
Score penalties don't preclude you from getting an A rank. You can die and still get an A haha. The ranking system is so generous as to be redundant:
>intro mission is an easy S rank
>regardless of result, will still get a boss's weapon if you entered his stage with an A or S
>multiple elves that give you an A
>dying doesn't deny you an A
There's so the fact that this is a Mega Man game; if you like Mega Man then you are more than prepared for MMZ's difficulty
>>
>>9287878
>make the game harder and then let me repudiate this difficulty through abusing items
Look I don't wanna be harsh on ya but it doesn't sound like you would make much use of the boss weapons anyway
>>
>>9278954
Peak gaming
>>
>>9287901
He's got a point about games giving you fun items and tools and then punishing you for using them by reducing your score and locking you out of the top rank.
>>
>>9287901
Bullshit. GOOD game designers let you barely win even if you use everything available to you. Shit ones just fuck you over for using what you could.
>>
>>9288205
>given low rank for playing badly
>"""fucked over"""
Can't beat the game? Use a fucking elf. Want the game to pat you on the back? Get fucking good.
>>
>>9287873
You only get a permanent penalty if the effects are permanent (like the double health bar). Any temporary effects just drop your score for the duration of the stage.
>>
>>9288134
>locking you out of the top rank
Refer to: >>9287887
You can cheese it so much
>>
>>9288585
No don't make a legitimate argument I need to go back to spamming metal blade
>>
>>9288817
Is A the top rank or is S? Because your post keeps saying you can get A ranks, not S.
>>
>>9288824
A is 86-95
S is 96-100
Even for S you have five points of leeway
>>
>>9288581
>use item I found
>"playing badly"
ROFLMAO
>>
>>9289401
You found the "easy mode" option that is put into the game more organically than an arbitrary difficulty select
>>
>>9289467
MMZ has both a hard and easy mode LMAO nice try coping shitty design into "organic difficulty"
>>
>>9289995
And actual gameplay works better than that menu option, MMZ makes for a perfect showcase of this by having both, which is to say that the proof is in the pudding and here we are fucking you against the dining table
>>
>>9289995
MMZ4 is the only game in the series with an easy mode. Legacy Collection added the casual mode to the whole series though. Perfect for, you know, casuals.
>>
File: 1382848022403.gif (895 KB, 384x128)
895 KB
895 KB GIF
>>9290059
MMZ already has an easy mode, though unlockable, further proving that the designers had no fucking clue. A hard mode as well where, guess what, you don't get to use any items, which is literally the final nail in the coffin of tards (>>9290025 ) who pretend punishing players in normal gameplay was a masterful plan of design geniuses LMAO
>>
>>9290080
>easy mode has to be unlocked by beating the game
HAHAHAHAHAH I wish all devs did this
>>
the first is an absolute mess but has some good stuff in there buried beneath laughable design decisions and early 2000's capcom bad translations. the second is better but still a pain to play level and boss design wise. it can be fucking brutal, i have no idea how i got so far in it as a kid.
third is widely regarded as the best with the fourth right behind it. i would say skip the first two games, then play 3 and 4. towards the last two they more or less improved their level design and boss design, but there's still quirks. the sprites are beautiful, the art style is fantastic, and it probably has the best mega man story/world imo. the boss fights can be brutal but very rewarding, and chopping shit up while moving and gunning and tight platforming feels great.
>>
>>9290080
>MMZ already has an easy mode, though unlockable
Why...?
>>
>>9290159
>with the fourth right behind it
Blatant lies, everybody says 2 is the second best Zero. I'm not sure what issues you take with Zero 2 but it's a fantastic game. To me it sounds more like Zero 1 and 2 were very difficult for you, but by getting through them you've prepared yourself for 3.

Do NOT skip 1 and 2, these games have a good story.
>>
1st was hardcore and fun but that was because I never used a cyberelf I just wanted to collect them
>>
>>9278954
they are fucking amazing but it should've ended at 3
>>
1 is wonky but I give it a pass as early gba game and start of the franchise, 2 is better put together but has some bullshit difficulty and locks all the fun stuff behind rank bullshit, 3 is the most fun and balanced in all aspects IMO, 4 is just kinda there, not as offensive as 1 or 2, but underwhelming compared to 3, shit, underused gimmick too.
>>
>>9281609
Not him but I played those games as a child when they came out and I'm fucking 33.
>>
>>9291606
Same, I was 12 when MMZ first released.
>>
>>9281609

the GBA is a millennial system, not zoomer.

A typical zoomer childhood would have been Wii, DS, 360
>>
>>9281609

How god damn old must you be to consider a 2001 handheld 'zoomer'?
>>
>>9291707
Every zoomer has played PS2
If you're a zoomer, your parents are either old enough that you have older siblings, or young enough that your dad was interested in video games himself. The only case where a zoomer hadn't played a 5th or 6th gen console in their childhood is when their parents sold them at Gamestop for peanuts to afford drugs
>>
>>9291809
younger ones maybe did but if you're born in or past 2000, your parents aren't gonna buy you an older system, maybe you'd get it as a hand me down but that depends if you have siblings or not
>>
>>9291809
>>9292175
*older ones maybe did
it's 4:30 in the morning and i should go to bed before i make more typos
>>
>>9291809
This entire post stinks of autistic universalization of your own personal experience. Stop doing that, learn some humility, your experience is not the only one in the world.
>>
mmx and mm7 were my favorite games. To go from that breaking megaman's face and seeing his eye socket tore open was kinda traumatizing as a kid emulating random games. I didn't really understand the story so I just chalked it up to 00s edginess where the new protatonist kills the old hero. Plus I think the rom was in japanese
>>
For Endless Fight is a good track.
>>
>>9292175
Yes a hand me down to be sure; either from your young parents, or from older siblings
>>9292394
US spelling detected, my drug theory is confirmed
>>
>>9291809
>>9291809
>If you're a zoomer, your parents are either old enough that you have older siblings,
welp, it's only 1AM and i'm pretty sure this is the stupidest thing i'll hear all day
>>
>>9290218
zero 2 was my first one. i have a soft spot for it but it's not very good after all of these years. have you played them before or just watched longplays of them
>>
File: NS_RS0PTuFnJN1kl.webm (1.92 MB, 640x360)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB WEBM
>>9292620
I just started MMZ2. After days of trying I finally beat the final boss. I know some things about MMZ2. Mainly that in order to get the armors and the EX skills I have to maintain a high rank. But I've never played it myself so this will be a new experience for me
>>
>>9292765

I loved the Zero series but looking back that screen crunch is atrocious. It's a shame they didn't expand the camera for the collections.
>>
>>9292804
There is an elusive romhack for the DS version of the collection that makes use of the DS's larger screen resolution, but all English-language materials on it have been nuked. This thread shall host the hunt!
>>
File: mods.png (346 KB, 1037x916)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
>>9278954
I bought the Legacy collection for my first playthrough. I am using 20 mods because I'm not the biggest fan of the GBA soundchip and I want the best experience.

On Z1 at the moment but I DO plan on beating all of them (I bought the collection after all).
>>
File: 20220928145114_1.jpg (877 KB, 1920x1080)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>>9283494
People weren't lying when they said Z1 was rough. Z2 is already 10x better from the start.

I don't know if grinding for crystals for a hard mode achievement or unlockables is worth it.
>>
>>9293223
You got the Mythos version of Cannonball?
>>
>>9294519
I had the reploid remixes DLC activated so it probably was replaced even if the mod had it. Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcBJ5WMjHw
>>
>>9281609
>You never saw gay shit like this about SNES games or whatever.
Frog tongues my anus.
>>
>>9291809
Your mom is a zoomer.
>>
>>9293643
It's worth getting all the EX skills and forms except Ultimate Form.
>>9294629
Reploid Remixes's MMZ1 boss theme is good but IMO all its other songs are inferior versions.
Been meaning to try the RTRZ mod instead. I listened to RTRZ basically on repeat for years, I think the only track where I prefer the GBA version is Departure.
>>
>>9294804
I think GBA cannonball is better than RTRz cannonball, but even RTRZ departure is a bit of an acquired taste. This is why Mythos Cannonball and Departure make me cum
>>
>>9294804
Damn that was the only mod I didn't install other than the undub patch for ZX. The remixes do sound really good.
>>
The secret to MMZ is to bind your subweapon command to "R" instead of the R+attack it's on by default. Way smoother experience.
>>
>>9296804
Also if you're playing the collection, bind your bumpers to triggers so you don't break your bumper buttons. Seriously why does this game want me to break my bumpers on another controller.
>>
Are there other games with 2D anime swordsman gameplay like the Zero series and the X games with playable Zero? Ninja Gaiden is the only one I can think of but it doesn't really pull off the feeling for me.
>>
couldn't stand the ranking system in these games. I played 1, 2. Then dropped them. Fucking stupid shit.
>>
>>9297142
Try the Shaman King games on GBA
>>
>>9297142
Strider games felt very similar iirc.
>>
>>9296804
I fucked up my emulator config way back in the day and got used to dashing with R haha
>>
>>9278954
the best mega man series ever
>>
>>9297228
why do you care about the rank? just play the game
>>
>>9285982
seethe and cope
>>
>>9297559
>game constantly keeps your rank in your face
>rank is tied to core gameplay
>rank determines unlocks/progression
>DURRR JUST IGNORE IT THO
>>
>>9298079
then get better at the game? If you don't want to be good enough at Mega Man 2 to beat Quick Man, obviously you will not get his weapon. If you don't want to be good enough at Mega Man Zero 3 to get an A rank, obviously you will not get an A rank. The only difference is that MMZ allows you to carry on with failure.
Simply choose to not fail brudda
>>
>>9290080
>A hard mode as well where, guess what, you don't get to use any items, which is literally the final nail in the coffin of tards (>>9290025 ) who pretend punishing players in normal gameplay was a masterful plan of design geniuses LMAO
MMZ's Hard Mode is literally the best part of the game. Removing the mechanics really forces you to learn boss patterns, the level design, and master the basic fundamentals. It's genuinely more fun than a Normal playthrough, but not if you're a baby bitch like yourself.
>>
Z1 is pure kino

Z2 is somehow even better

Z3 is the fan favorite and is really good in its own right, but that's just because it's the easiest Zero game by a country mile

Z4 isn't on the same level as the first three, but is still better than 90% of most Mega Man games

Overall, Zero is far and away the best thing to come out of Mega Man. Nothing except the Legends sub-series comes remotely close.
>>
File: 6346324623.png (10 KB, 470x454)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
How do you boys have you controls set up for the GBA version? Currently I'm going:

B - attack
A - Jump
L + B - Subweapon
R - Dash
>>
>>9298134
>If you don't want to be good enough at Mega Man 2 to beat Quick Man, obviously you will not get his weapon.
But there is no scenario in Mega Man 2 (or ANY other MM or MMX game) where you DO kill Quick Man and then the game says, "lol you got hit too many times and were too slow, so fuck you no weapon." You either beat Quick Man and get his weapon or you don't beat Quick Man and have to keep trying until you do because the game won't proceed from there. It doesn't feel good when you beat something and the game arbitrarily locks you out of basic gameplay mechanics because "lol do it better faggot."
I do like how quickly you shifted the goalposts from "just ignore it" to "just get better" (i.e., play along with the shitty ranking system and stop complaining).
>>
>>9298149
The mode where there are no button combinations so you can use both weapons at the same time, such as to charge one while using the other.
>>
>>9298251
There really have been a lot of good 2D action metroidvania style games that came out these past 5 years. I wonder if the Zero collection was Capcom testing the water if it was profitable enough for a Zero 5? Apparently it didn't sell as well as they wanted. Maybe it's the same with the upcoming Battle Network collection to see if enough fans want another BN game.
>>
>>9298236
In the collection they already revamped the game input to allow more types of buttons. Kind of amazed they didn't take a little extra effort and give all the MMZ games ZX controls from the start. For all the QoL improvements that 2-4 made relative to 1, amazing to me that anybody thought it was a good idea to default buster to B and saber to fucking R+B.
>>
>>9298136
Hilarious how Zero IQ fanboys are incapable of grasping that this isn't a difficulty but design issue
>>
File: casual-mario.png (546 KB, 1086x746)
546 KB
546 KB PNG
>>9299210
These threads are just endlessly looping.
>The game is too hard!
Then use Cyber Elves.
>But then my score goes down!
Yeah, it does, but if you just want to beat the game that doesn't matter.
>But it means I don't get all the unlockables!
The unlockables are a reward for playing well. You're not entitled to them. If you want everything, get better at the game. Or use an Action Replay, since all you want is instant gratification.
>>9290208
Ultimate isn't the easy mode. The easy mode is called easy mode and is available from the start, but only existed in MMZ4 originally (but both the DS and PC collections now have it for all games). Ultimate is more like how Super Metroid only lets you use the Hyper Beam against regular enemies after you've beaten the final boss.
>>
>>9299381
Normal mode should accommodate everything the game gives you, if it fails to do so it's just badly designed. That's like MMX giving you a bad ending for using all the upgrades you found, but it does not, because it's a stellar game recognized as classic, while MMZ is forgotten. Rightfully so.
>>
>>9299436
How do you feel about games like Bayonetta that reduce your grade if you use healing items?
>>
>>9299473
Never played it, looked cringe. Sounds like a kusoge like MGRR, which also denies you top rank even if you play flawlessly with the scissors because you didn't prance around like a faggot racking up combos with inferior low power weapons. Just another case of poor design punishing players for using what they were given.
>>
>>9299381
i don't remember there being an easy mode in new super mario bros wii
there's a block that shows you how to beat the stage if you die too much but you don't have to use it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.