[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1495925364153.jpg (327 KB, 1600x900)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>the only decent games here were also on Saturn
>the best MM of 5th gen was on SNES
MegaMan on Playstation was a mistake
>>
i love 8
>>
>>9277953
I personally enjoyed X5 a lot. Respectfully disagree with you on X3 as well. I do prefer X4 on Saturn but they're basically identical for the most part
>>
>>9277953
there is literally one bad game in your image, and it's x6
>>
File: 7697_front.jpg (233 KB, 635x1060)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>9277953
Capcom in general was better on Saturn, but PS1 still had more games in that regard.
>>
>>9277953
8 and x4 are better than x3

Legends 1 and 2 are better than the rest of the games in your pic

Also, sage for /v/-tier console wars faggotry
>>
>>9277953
I agree 100% with OP

A fellow man of taste.
>>
File: BC.webm (2.28 MB, 1092x758)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
With that said, here is the best MM game on PSX. For this alone, MM on PSX wasn't a mistake.
>>
The PS1 ports of the NES games are the best versions of them in my opinion.
>>
>>9278273
No, they're a mess. If you want to play without flicker and slow down you can do that on emulators.
>>
>>9277953
X5 and X6 are mediocre but the rest are great
>>
>>9277953
So how come the legends games, MMX5 and MMX6 weren't ported to the Dreamcast like MM8 and MMX4 were to Saturn?
>>
>>9277953
You're missing two games. Also there's two good games there that aren't on Saturn.
>>
>>9279395
The Sega Saturn was a popular console and the Dreamcast wasn't; it's as simple as that.
The Sega Saturn sold almost 10 million units in Japan, the Dreamcast didn't even sell 3 million units. Porting Mega Man X4 and Mega Man 8 to the Saturn was common sense. X5 and X6 were never going to be on Dreamcast because of the small install base - that's why every Capcom game on the Dreamcast is a clean and easy port of an Arcade game.

Legends released too late to get a Saturn port, it was at a point where Playstation sales already far outpaced the Saturn in Japan and was at the same timing that Sega directly told their customers that they don't care about them. Legends 2 wasn't going to happen on Dreamcast for the same reason I listed earlier, plus the first game was never available for Sega fans.

Legends did eventually get ported to the N64 around the same timing that Legends 2 released, but the N64 sold a few million more units in Japan than the Dreamcast did, and in America it had sold over double what the Saturn did in Japan so it was a common sense move.
>>
>>9279442
>Porting Mega Man X4 and Mega Man 8 to the Saturn

Pretty sure Saturn was the target platform for X4

in b4 my lights in the first level, porting a game to another console doesn't mean you can't make small changes and improvements
>>
Playstation consoles do seem to have a degenerative effect on Megaman, that I can't even explain. The franchise was only really kept alive into the 00's by the Gameboy. Why were they assigning all of the bad Megaman developers to the Playstation and PS2?
>>
>>9279627
The Battle Network games were just Megaman Pokemon edition with some YugiOh spice and they were all jist expansions of a single game, because they felt the damn same.
>>
>>9279640
>The Battle Network games were just Megaman Pokemon edition
In as much as there's trading, and deck building elements, but also not at all really. The battle system is pretty unique, and the actual setting of Megaman+Tron isn't much like Pokemon.
>>
Legends are the only good megaman games ever made.
>>
>>9279615
Actually I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of 8 was the original and the PSX version is the port (there's some evidence in game to support this) so I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for X4.

>>9279640
>The Battle Network games were just Megaman Pokemon edition with some YugiOh spice
It plays nothing like either of those games.
>they were all jist expansions of a single game, because they felt the damn same.
You could say the exact same statement about Super Mario Bros, Sonic, Mega Man classic and X, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Contra, every Ninja Turtles game, Donkey Kong Country, every shmup to ever exist, Halo, Doom, and others and it would be just as accurate as the comment you just made. What do you think a series is? Each game continues the story and introduces new game play mechanics and quality of life changes. Welcome to video games, don't let the door hit your ass on the way in.
>>
>>9279665
To me it feels like 8 and X4 used the same engine, or that a lot of back end code is shared between the two at the very least, but it's a feeling
>>
>>9279665
I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that 8 and X4 were initially planned for Saturn, and the Playstation versions came later in development.
>>
>>
>>9279698
Don't remind me :(
>>
>>9279698
we should note it's post social-media grievance culture, which hypes up things adn then engages in grievances. It exagerates fandoms feellings of ups and downs. Reality is that MML games had charming characters and settings people were nostalgia for but they were really sloppy bland games.
>>
>>9279710
This is what they took from you. >>9279715
I don’t really see people giving MML praise for anything it didn’t deserve. Still gets it’s fair share of criticism. Imo, as a spin-off series, it should have at least had the game that was more than halfway complete be a nice closer for it. It introduced so many nice concepts and characters.
>>
>>9279728
MML's main problem is that it's slow, boring and empty. It's not an exciting thrill ride, and the environments are very same and repeating so it's not like it's a fun exploration game. I can give credit for being a very big ambitious game in 1997, but Ocarina of Time was released like 2 weeks later and did everything it did significantly better.
>>
>>9279615
>>9279665
>>9279676
Time to set the record straight:
Mega Man 8 was being originally being designed for the PlayStation first and foremost, BUT Sony of America had been blacklisting any and all 2D games from coming to the platform at that time (which is why the PSX version of Mega Man X3 didn't release in North America despite releasing in Europe without issues), The Saturn version of MM8 was essentially a backup plan incase the same thing happened to the newest original Mega Man game. Around the time that the Saturn version of MM8 was being ported, MMX4 would begin development specifically on the Saturn. Now, Mega Man 8 would get a release on PlayStation in all regions because the dude who was orchestrating the blacklist had been fired and went to... SEGA, where he then used a looser version of the same blacklist. So now it was X4 that could potentially not see a release in North America if it remained Saturn exclusive, hence the need to port it to PlayStation (and later Microsoft Windows alongside the PSX version of MMX3, which is a luxury that MM8 wasn't given). Once again however, both systems got MMX4 in America.
To summarize, Mega Man 8 began life on the PlayStation before getting ported to Saturn, while Mega Man X4 began life on the Saturn before getting ported to PlayStation (and later Windows).
>>
>>9279732
I’m not making any excuses for it or claiming it done anything better than anything else. I just liked the story, characters and setting a lot. Just had a really unique vibe that not many others games capture for me.
>>
>>9279728
>This is what they took from you.

Do you even realize the amount of concept art that is made for a game that never ends up in the game?

It's most of them. God I hate people who look at development content as things "that were meant to be"
>>
>>9279742
>I’m not making any excuses for it or claiming it done anything better than anything else. I just liked the story, characters and setting a lot. Just had a really unique vibe that not many others games capture for me.

But it's stupendously boring. It's not a nice action thrill-ride like a Residnet Evil or metal Gear Solid.
>>
>>9279743
>>9279745
You’re not even worth talking to.
>>
>>9278268
What was the purpose of the second smaller screen?
>>
>>9279715
All the more reason to tighten up the general design for a third game. People act like the gameplay would have to be trapped in that same era of awkward early 3D games. There's no reason that has to be true. MML3 could play as smoothly as RE4. It could play as smoothly as Vanquish.
>>
>>9279798
We saw gameplay footage and it looked identical.
>>
>>9279801
Didn't the game engine get recycled for that Ex-Troopers thing?
>>
>>9279743
No that other anon is right. They stole a cute waifu from us.
>>9279745
Games don't have to be a "thrill ride" to be fun.
>>9279801
Which was a good thing.
>>
File: 917.jpg (71 KB, 878x592)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>9279745
>>9279732
It might be boring to you maybe, for other people the game was like playing a fun and exciting Saturday morning cartoon. Your opinion is not objective, you are not the arbiter of quality, and the series has a fanbase for a reason.
>>
>>9277953
you agree that the megaman games had to be sold, right? if they were only in saturn it would be as if the megaman zero were only in neo geo pocket, wonderswan or some unsuccessful console. also megaman legends would look like shit on saturn
>>
>>9279640
2 and 3 were similar
5 and 6 were similar

But 3 is very different from 5
>>
>>9279715
They weren't bland at all

Starfox 64 and metroid prime, now that's fucking bland.
>>
>>9279732
Ocarina is extremely empty. There's only like 20 npcs in the whole world. There's only 1 big sidequest and it's the dumb trading quest. Hyrule field is the size of my backyard. Money is worthless.
>>
>>9279745
Ocarina is stupendously boring. The combat is completely brainless and for 3 year olds.

Resident evil 1 is a key fetching simulator where you brainlessly run back and forth over and over.

Metal Gear is a movie game
>>
>>9279801
Good.
>>
>>9277953
The only bad games are MML1&2
X6 is ludokino
>>
>>9280042
fuck OFF all 3 of those games are good
>>
>>9279715
i first played the legends games last year and I loved them. Maybe you're just a faggot?
>>
File: maxresdefault (20).jpg (138 KB, 1280x720)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>9280030
>anon has no actual argument and is so mad no one agrees with him he defaults to calling everyone his latest favorite buzzword
Consider killing yourself, it would be a huge improvement to the world.
>>
Mega Man Legends graphics take such a steaming hot shit on every single Saturn and N64 game its truly fucking unreal.

Just goes to show passion and talent > specs on paper
>>
>>9277953
>X4
>8
>Battle&Chase
>Dash 2
>Dash 2 Demo ( better than the base game )
>Bad

Why are you so slow? There were plenty of good MM games in the PSX time, in fact Dash is still very very loved by all for its early 3D style that was clean and a simple story you can pew pew in.
>>
>>9280376
>Speaking English
It's "Legends". You are not Japanese.
>>
>>9280396
I played them all in Jap
>>
>>9277953
All of these games are good as these are real games unlike most of the Playstation library
>>
>>9280565
They're all cinematic storyshit compared to the good MMs on NES
>>
>>9280582
I don't need anything to complete these games, all I have to do is select the boss stage I want
>>
>>9280582
You are talking about the Zero games. Those are cinematic shit
In X games all you have to do is go right and spam a button when someone talks and then you go straight to the boss level screen. No need to talk to anyone for this
>>
>>9279735
Wow, imagine being that guy. Anyway, it would make sense for the PSX version of MM8 to be the original, because how else can you explain the Woodman and Cutman fight being missing from the collections, among other things?
>>
>>9279794
they stole it from Super Mario Kart without understanding why it was a thing in that game
>>
>>9280368
but Mega Man Legends was on N64 you dumb fuck
>>
>>9280582
You realize you can skip the cutscenes in X4-X6, right? And you can’t in Mega Man 3-6?
>>
>>9280863
The cutscenes are fine, you don't need to watch as they are not needed to watch for gameplay reasons
>>
>>9277953
Why were the X games not in N64
I'm sure you could fit the games in a cart
>>
>>9279926
>It might be boring to you maybe, for other people the game was like playing a fun and exciting Saturday morning cartoon. Your opinion is not objective, you are not the arbiter of quality, and the series has a fanbase for a reason.

lol the game bombed hard and only those blinded by nostalgia because they were 7 have a soft spot for it. The gameplay is just too boring with not a lot of variation in both environments and setting. Everyone talks about the story and the charming cutscenes, but that's only like 10% of the game. It's mostly a boring dungeon slog game.

Not to fret though! Some of the devs worked on other games and you can see the MML DNA in them even if it's not obvious at first. These games imply that a modernized MML could play much much better.

>Dead Rising

Same director even! You can see quite a bit of MML DNA in the game with the mall, setting, and open ended gameplay.

>Lost Planet

This is more like the shooting of MML but more refined
>>
>>9281093
So your appeal to reviews failed and now you're citing sales figures as a measure of quality. Cool. Game's still good, your opinion's still shit.
>>
>>9280854
And it was a really really bad port so we ignore it.
>>9281093
The environments are extremely varied because unlike ocarina the outdoor areas are really varied and have a lot to see. The dungeons are more varied in ocarina but the outdoor areas are not, it's just flat green ground everywhere.
>>
>>9281093
Most of mml is spent exploring the cool outdoor areas, not the dungeons. You spent a lot of time in the dungeons because you're bad at video games.
>>
>>9280796
>most technical gameplay in the series
>"cinematic shit"
Lol
>>
>>9277974
Is Chun Li a hooper?
>>
>>9280368
Why can't n64 do graphics like these?
>>
>>9282182
It was a piece of shit, with forced blurry textures
>>
>>9280042
X6 is trash
Mml 1 and 2 are amazing, you're just bad at video games

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.