[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>>
File: CNjHYU1.png (3.21 MB, 1920x1080)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB PNG
Just emulate them.

•Ace Combat 1-3, Critical Depth, Gamera 2000, Omega Boost, Tempest X3, Vanark

•Bloody Roar 2, Ehrgeiz, Soul Edge, Tekken 3

•Ape Escape, Crash 2&3, Dr Slump, Spyro 1-3

•Alundra [Un-Worked], Brave Musashi, Brave Prove, Community Pom, Dragon Valor, Legend Mana, MediEvil 1&2 [PAL], Threads Fate, Vagrant Story [Zenith]

•MM Legends 1&2, MGS 1+VR, Rising Zan, Soul Reaver, Tail Concerto, Tron Bonne, Tomb Raider 1-5

•Castlevania Symphony [+Quality], Goemon Akogingu, MM 8/X4/X5, Oddworld Oddysee/Exodus, Strider 2

•Arc Lad 1&2, Azure Dreams, Breath Fire 3&4, Chrono Cross, FF 7[Retranslation]/8/9, Grandia, Koudelka, Lunar 1&2 [Un-Worked], Legend Dragoon, Parasite Eve, Rhapsody 1&2, Saga Frontier 2, SMT 1&2, Star Ocean 2, Tales Phantasia/Destiny/Eternia, Persona 2 Sin & Punishment, Suikoden 1&2, Thousand Arms, Valkyrie Profile, Wild Arms, Xenogears [2.0]

•Brigandine Grand, FF Tactics, Monster Tactics, Front Mission 2&3, Kartia, Langrisser 4, Robot Wars, Saiyuki, Master of Monsters, Nectaris, Tearring Saga, Vandal Hearts 1&2 [+Turn Based], Vanguard Bandits

•Apocalypse, Die Hard, Future Cop, Ghost In Shell, MDK, One

•Fighting Force, Gekido, Gunnm Memory, Jackie Chan Stunt

•Deception 1-3, Remote Control Dandy, Popn Tanks, Team Buddies, Silent Bomber, Trap Gunner

•Devil Dice, Frogger Swampy, Mr Domino, Incredible Crisis, Paranoia Scape

•CTR, Choro Q 2&3, Jet Moto 2&3, RC de Go, Re-Volt, Wipeout 2&3, N-Gen, Racing Lagoon, Rollcage 1&2, Twisted Metal 2, Vigilante 8 2nd

•Aconcagua, Broken Sword 1&2, LSD Dream, Mizzurna Falls, Policenauts

•Res Evil 1-3, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis 1&2, Chaos Break, TRAG
>>
>>9277258
Why not just get a PS2 and put an HDD in it?
>>
I do not have one myself, but my brother has one and I "hacked" it for him. It's very easy, and the "hack" I did for him of course allows you to put whatever PS1 games on there you like, but it also came with RetroArch and a fuck ton of other emulators as well. If you can get your hands on one for dirt cheap then it could be worth it, but there are also probably other better options as well.
>>
>>9277258
If you can get one for under $50, then do it. Aside from that, I'd recommend emulating through Duckstation. You could also get a stack of blank CD-Rs, an empty memory card and hack TonyHax/FreePSXBoot onto it, then run PS1 backups.
>>
>>9277368
I already have a PS2. Would it be easier to go that route? I’m only mainly thinking of how convenient it would be. Also, the ps one classic can support external wireless controllers like the DualShock 4 or 5. So it might be easier to use? I can also get one for $40
>>
>>9277258
I guess, mine is just an emulator box. It does more than playstation too.
>>
>>9277368
POPSTARTER isn't perfect, unfortunately. From the games I played:
>Doom is glitchy mess past the title screen
>Skullmonkeys doesn't even start after the PS1 logo
>MGS1 is slow to a crawl during more intense moments
>So does Duke Nukem: Time to Kill
>And Pepsiman
>Advanced V.G. 2 tends to freeze completely at random, most frequently at Satomi and Ayako stages
>Rapid Reload is missing SFX
I regret selling my PS1 for a quick buck back in the day, bros.
>>
>>9277368
Popstarter is hot trash and abandoned. If you want to play PSX games on PS2, you need to burn discs.
Some 3D games do look nice on 480i though.
>>
>>9277420
All you would need to do is get a PS2 network adapter (it's used to mount the hard drive) and a hard drive and put a bunch of ISO's on it. You can even get an adapter for a few bucks on AliExpress to use sata drives on it.

You can get an adapter to use a PS4 controller on it also.
>>
>>9277368
Realizing this board has people who find popstarter acceptable or never noticed it's poor software emulation really makes you think.
>>
>>9277440
>If you want to play PSX games on PS2, you need to burn discs.
Too bad FreeMCBoot doesn't allow you to launch PS1 games from burned discs. I've got a Fat PS2.
>>
>>9277434
>>9277440
>>9277468
>>9277497
Seriously??? I watched a video recently that was hyping up loading games from an HDD so I ordered everything needed and it's all in the mail now.... I have a bunch of PSX games sitting on a hard drive that I was looking forward to playing TT
>>
>>9277258
I got an x station, I’d definitely say it was worth it for me, played through a shitload of games
Probably play Xenogears next
>>
>>9277505
>so I ordered everything needed and it's all in the mail now
You bet on the wrong horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlSdBusJHks
slimbros its our time
>>
>>9277517
I found the GitHub page. It says it works on most PS2 models.

https://github.com/wisi-w/DKWDRV/releases/tag/1.0

If they've got it working from USB, I wonder the likelihood it'll be possible from hdd in the future.
>>
>>9277510
Yeah an Xstation playstation is next on my list of shit to buy, especially with stuff like the fan translation of SMT 1 coming out
>>
>>9277549
Sorry buddy, the USB mass loading code only works on Slims and isn't released yet. Search for PS2 Deckard and you'll understand.
>>9277510
XStation is based
>>
>>9277563
>>9277567
I also recently got a memcard pro, was sick of having to delete game saves
>>
>>9277360
Soul Reaver is better on Dreamcast
The Tomb Raiders are better on PC
PSX port of MDK is shit
Both Broken Swords are better on PC
>>
>>9277505
Bummer man. POPstarter indeed sucks ass. If you don't mind burning discs and buying a single retail PS1 game then you might be able to use tonyhax with your PS2, at least. That's what I do on mine; works great.
>>
>>9277505
Ok. But if you didn't have a HDD-ps2 already then you just scored a real win. Much rather have that library than ps1.
>>
>>9277510
I got a PSIO. It’s not as good because the developer is a shit head. I hope you have more fun with Xenogears than I am currently having. It’s story is interesting but my god the game itself isn’t fun.
>>
>>9277258
You can emulate PS1 flawlessly on a $15 stick from Walmart, all you need is a 2-in-1 OTG adapter, a controller, and a USB for your games
>>
>>9277258
Yes it's worth it, I bought it for $20 at Best Buy.
>>
>>9277717
anything made by onn is a complete unmitigated piece of shit
>>
>>9277769
You don't buy it for the quality, you buy it because it's a fifteen dollar game stick
>>
>>9277689
Easier to emulate on ps1
>>
>>9277814
DC Soul Reaver maybe, but it's certainly easier to play the native PC versions of the others
>>
>>9277839
You can emulate ps1 on a miyoo mini, phone, hacked switch, etc..

That's much easier than emulating pc games
>>
>>9277898
>emulating pc games
You just play PC games. It's easier than hacking devices and setting up emulators
>>
>>9277258
HELL NO however I will say the controllers are nice.
>>
>>9277258
>>9277258
No. These were only worth it for the controllers, and now that the price is inflated they are worthless. These bombed hard and retailers couldn’t give them away, so they used to have crates of them at Walmart for 20 bucks for a while, and 10 bucks a pop for OEM quality usb psx controller was absolutely worth it.
Looking at eBay prices now…unbelievable. People asking 100+ bucks for this shitheap is unreal, picrel. These were TWENTY DOLLARS at Walmart and target for how badly they sucked. I can’t believe people are paying this for something this worthless. These are inferior to a pi as pi simply has far more support. I’m sure your PC or laptop can emulate ps1, just hook it up to your tv and don’t buy a stupid novelty.
>>9277368
OPL uses the processor that PSX backward compatibility uses therefore you can never get true hardware PSX compatibility with it. If you have an early release PS2 fat, you can actually use TonyHax to play burned PSX backups. Popstation sucks and is a very compromised way of playing.
>>9277497
If you have an early release fat PS2 you can amazingly use a TonyHax ps1 memory card and play burned games. Check the GitHub to see if yours is compatible. I believe it’s any revision before SCPH-39001 but make sure.
>>
>>9278202
>>
>>9277907
You have to pay it... On a pc. That's inconvenient. I like mobility.

Also, games for windows 98 aren't any easier to get running than an emulator. Does MDK have a modern release?
>>
>>9278250
op wanted a PS Classic. He's not a sperg that plays outside.
MDK is perfectly playable on modern systems. It doesn't need a "remaster" or whatever for lazy retards
>>
>>9277676
>has fpga
>has sd card read/write
>has bootloader software that interacts with PS1
>said software has a memory card viewer that shows data in it (aka: loads data from memory card)
>NO NATIVE MEMORY CARD MANAGER IN SIGHT
There's literally no reason for the xstation to not have a memory card to SD function aside from its distributors also wanting to sell memcard pros. I will never ever buy that memory card out of spite
>>
>>9277258
its not gonna run EVERY game perfectly anon
its great for under $50 but i dont recommend overpaying - its a steal for the comfy controllers and retroarch cores
does gameboy, pokemon mini, neogeo, etc quite well
>>
>>9277258
Honestly, at this point a Series S/X is the only thing worth the time/money it takes to setup.
>>
>>9278453
Not sure what you mean, the thing is connected over the internet if you want to manage it
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CQBlsZMCh7U
>>
>>9277440
>If you want to play PSX games on PS2, you can get a job and buy the CDs
Fixed.
>>
>>9277689
>Soul Reaver is better on Dreamcast
Wrong.
>The Tomb Raiders are better on PC
Incorrect.
>PSX port of MDK is shit
Wrong.
>Both Broken Swords are better on PC
Nope.
>>
>>9278740
Pretending to be retarded is still being retarded, anon.
>>
Don't they have PS1 softmods now? I resorted to buying a console with a PSIO installed for $150, but it was worth it to never have to buy a PS1 game ever again.
>>
>>9277706
I'd rather have both :/
>>
>>9278728
>please buy my listings off amazon. Im hungry and only have these old games to my name.
>>
Dude, that thing ain't even a dualshock.
>>
>>9277360
Too many options. My tiny brain can’t make a decision.
>>
>>9277258
You'd have to ask someone capable of paying someone someone doing that
>>
>>9277368
People really misunderstand this -

First of all PS2s backwards compatibility isnt great as is because the PS2 doesnt have a PS1 CPU and has to emulate it. This is why some games have issues or straight up dont work.

Secondly, if youre using anything other than discs to play games the issue becomes even worse since all PS2 features are disabled when in PS1 mode, including USB, HDD and network. So Popstarter is actually just 100% emulation, and pretty subpar emulation too. Theres no reason to use it unless your only option is a PS2.
>>
>>9279550
So basically, you NEED BOTH ps1 and ps2 to enjoy them.

Heh, i liked the Psone, but is that SDcard adapter work for it and is it better then the PS/IO?
>>
>>9279648
Or a pre 39000 PS2 fat. You can play ps1 backups legit with TonyHax and freemcboot/OPL for PS2 all in one machine.
>>
>>9278667
Hahahaha the Xbox is fucking worthless you not retro faggot
>>
>>9279648
I've been playing some PS1 on my PS3 recently and i would Say the emulation is quite decent. Same goes for PS2, but it's not as good as PS1 there
>>
>>9277258
Absolutely, if you already own it. It's literally just formatting a USB stick and pasting Retroboot (Retroarch) with the ROMs on it. It's absolutely not worth buying at these prices though >>9278205
You'd be better off buying a Vita TV then (and a DualShock if need be), especially if you already have a PS3-PS5.
>>
>>9279932
50000 and 70000 is more convenient for PS1 playback since you don't need to fuck around with a Tonyhax boot disc. Mechapwn just werks.
>>
>>9277258
I think even the SNES mini is better at playing PS1 games. This is kinda worth it for the controller and not much else.
>>
>>9280293
TonyHax doesn’t have a boot disc retard.
>>
>>9280747
You have to use Tony Hawk or some other exploit game, trigger the exploit, and then swap discs before you run every burned disc. That sucks ass.
>>
>>9282137
You have no fucking idea what TonyHax is do you? You didn’t even bother looking it up before making yourself sound like a stupid nigger in front of everybody.
All it requires is a memory card flashed with TonyHax. That’s it. You can either make one yourself with a PSX memory card with memory card annihilator on a softmodded PS2 or buy a premade one for 10 bucks on eBay.
It Doesn’t need a boot disc. I repeat, it does not need a boot disc nor does it require disc swapping.
TonyHax is just a name, it does not require disc swapping with Tony Hawk.

You stick the memory card in.
You launch the memory card option from the PlayStation menu (so press x when the console boots).
You insert your burned game.

It’s literally that easy.
It even works with games that swap discs like FF7. It has 100 percent compatibility. It’s the single greatest software mod for PlayStation and it works on every revision and even early PS2s.
>>
>>9277258
I think it's smarter to spend time to learn your favorite games and just buy those ones

Why do you want a ton of games that you'll never play?
>>
>>9282149
ya im doing it wrong
i bought th2 for the disc swap method
i'll try your method next time
>>
>>9282156
I would make one for you but it’s honestly easier to just go on eBay.
Make sure you order one with your correct console model number, and make sure it’s a slot 2 card (I think all the ones they sell are but still make sure) so you can save normally in slot 1 with a regular memory card.
>>
>>9282149
You are confusing tonyhax with freepsxboot. Freepsxboot doesn't work on any PS2.
>>
just get a 75xx ps2, mechapwn it then just burn CD's like it's 1999
>>
>>9282324
>7500x
Sadly the PS1 compatibility on these models is disappointing, better to get an earlier one if possible.
>>
>>9282307
I didn’t realize PS2 needed the memory card plus thps3 swap method, but for PSX it needs only the memory card as I stated and anon says he already owns thps so he might as well get a TonyHax card.
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10949
>>
>>9282338
Yeah, PS1 users can just use FPSXB+Tonyhax, FPSXB+Unirom, or a Unirom cheat cartridge. But for PS2, SCPH-3x000x consoles relying on a boot disc are kinda awkward.
>>
>>9282341
That anon should just look for a cheap ps1 on eBay. I had to get a new one and it was 50 dollars in mint condition + controller on eBay.
>>
>>9282343
Space comes at a premium for me, so I like using a single console for PS1+PS2. There's no bad way to play Playstation games, though.

Except POPStarter, fuck that noise.
>>
>>9282345
Bro you can stack a PSOne right on top of a PS2 fat (if that’s what you have). They weigh nothing, they are seriously tiny and thin. They are about half the width of a PS2 fat and a third thinner.
I get minimalism though, you could get away with a little stack like that without feeling like a hoarder.

And yes, fuck popstarter, worst solution possible.
>>
>>9277258
if they cost more than $20 now no
>>
>>9277517
>>9277549
So wait, if I download this homebrew now and run it, can I boot ISOs from a USB or is portion still in development?
>>
>>9283659
Ah, found the forum thread. Seems not.
>>
>>9283659
you can boot ISOs from USB but the read speeds on that port are so shit that a lot of games don't play right, specifically like music and FMV stuff
but what I did is, if you have a desktop PC just set it to have a static IP then off a slim you can load ISOs over the network, which works great on a slim
but I'm only talking PS2 ISOs, not PS1...
>>
>>9283802
Yeah I've already got an old Acer netbook running Ubuntu as my dedicated network share for my slim and it works like a charm.

Hopefully the DKWDRV homebrew gets some love because I've been itching for a replacement to POPStarter.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.