[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: small_one-side.jpg (67 KB, 708x398)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Talk me into/out of buying this, been on the fence for weeks now.
>>
Gimme your fucking money, chump.
>>
>>9266212
no
>>
>>9266212
fuck off we're full
>>
Getting a single console + flashcart + accessories will run you $250-$400, maybe even more, depending on exactly what you're buying, where you're located, and more.

A MiSTer will run you $400-500, and can run just about every system up to 4th gen, plus a few past that, nearly perfectly.

Funnily enough, I've had games that couldn't be run on a flashcart but ran just fine on MiSTer.
>>
>>9266212
Play 300 hours of arcade games then reconsider the purchase after.
>>
>>9266212
To do what? What are you gonna do, play SNES games?
>>
How is the PS1 core? Thats my main reason for wanting to get it, I hate having to deal with burned CDs.
>>
>>9266324
>Has save state support
>99% of commercial games run great
>cycle accurate

I've played through Legend of Legaia, FF7, FF8, Brave Fencer Musashi, Tomba 1 & Tomba 2 on it and haven't had a single issue.
>>
Is the aggressive marketing on vr working? I've only heard people talking about this thing here
>>
>>9266347
who is marketing it? it's an open source project using a device that is subsidized you retarded mongaloid
>>
>>9266212
It's emulation
>>
File: ifyoureadthisurgay.png (246 KB, 344x380)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>9266348
>subsidized
>>
>>9266348
>who is marketing it
(You)
>>
>>9266212
Eventually something else will replace it, in 20 years companies like retrobit will be making FPGA consoles based on the work done in MiSTer today. So just wait 20 years.
>>
>>9266282
>$400-500 for an emulator
lmao
>>
>>9266348
Probably the dozens of websites selling DE-10 nano peripherals marketed and designed for use with MiSTer. Like any university student using a DE-10 nano is going to need an analog IO board...
>>
>>9266395
but people just buy them off aliexpress for like $25, lol, there's no gigantic margin on those, making campaign to /vr/ which is already a slow board to shill is just retards trolling
>>
>>9266395
>DE-10 nano peripherals marketed and designed for use with MiSTer.
All of which are also open source and can be assembled yourself or bought from Chinks who make very little money assembling them.
>>
>>9266324
I've played through Tomb Raider 1, MediEvil, the Crash trilogy, Symphony of the Night and Ape Escape 1 without any issues. It feels great, much better option for living room PS1 emulation than the PS3.

I think my favourite thing about the mister is I just play games on it lmao. Rarely do I endlessly tinker with settings like I do with PC emulators, instead I just play the game. I know that's a subjective thing and PC emulators absolutely still have their place, but for living room play the Mister has been better than any other option I've tried. It mogs PC with Steam big picture, a raspberry pi etc. I couldn't imagine using it at my desk with a PC monitor though, at that point I'd just use PC emulators. I honestly don't care about the FPGA aspect of things, the user experience for playing on a big TV or CRT is just so nice and simple.
>>
>>9266212
there are cheaper ways to emulate, and that's all the mister is...an emulator
>>
File: simba.jpg (109 KB, 1283x933)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>9266507
There are cheaper ways to drive a car, and that's all a Ferarri is... a car.
>>
>>9266548

There are cheaper ways to fuck a whore, and that's all your mother is...a whore.
>>
>>9266548
you're replying to bait anon, the poor brown people on /vr/ try to bait others by using that keyword, emulation, like anyone gives a shit
>>
>>9266548
This but unironically, what kind of stuck up retard would buy a ferrari? "Ohhh my cars expensive the ladies love it ohhh", yeah sure, spend half a million fucking dollars on a shitty sunk cost just so that everyone knows you have money. I will drive some beat up piece of shit if it safely gets me from point A to point B, fuck blowing money on that.

Seeing this kind of frivilous bullshit perpetuate retro gaming of all hobbies is obnoxious. Buy a MiSTer if you want but dont act like its some "premium experience" just because its expensive. I can see the appeal of a system that just works with OEM controllers, thats pretty cool, but the differences between FPGA emulation vs regular emulation just arent enough for most people to give a fuck.
>>
>>9266558
seething Ferarrilet.
>>
>>9266558
>Buy a MiSTer if you want but dont act like its some "premium experience" just because its expensive
lmao, $250 is expensive to poorfags
>>
>>9266564
Dont be disingenuous, the board alone is that much but if you want a half decent experience youre going to spend $400 bare minimum.

And yes thats very expensive for a machine that can only do emulation and cant even do N64.
>>
>>9266580
$210 for the board + $40 for the memory module is all you need retard, as usual the only people criticizing it are the poorfags who've never even used one
>>
>>9266580
As mentioned, all you really need is the DE10 itself and the 128MB of RAM. Technically all you need is the DE10 itself but the vast majority of cores that people would actually care about need the RAM expansion (And even then you would not need 128MB for most of them, but it's not cost-effective to go under 128MB these days). The most notable cores that don't require it are the Sega Genesis, Atari 5200, GBA, and TG16.

The analog board is only really needed if you want to connect it to a CRT or other analog device instead of using HDMI. The digital board almost nobody uses and is useless for the majority of people unless you have some very special needs or do dev work. And the final board most people use is simply a USB hub, any hub will work, it does not have to be a special one designed for the MiSTer, also not actually required.

Other very niche additional parts others might add but are very optional are a RTC battery module or a module to load actual analog cassettes for computer systems instead of just loading a virtual image of them.

If you wanted to rice it you could get a MT-32 hat and add a Pi to it to get MiDi emulation, also completely optional for the handful of PC cores that support it.
>>
>>9266586
>very expensive for a machine that can only do emulation
If someone spends 5 hours a week on emulators that is a little over 250 hours a year or 1000 hours in 4 years working out to $0.25 per hour. The Mister will not be obsoleted for far longer than that.
>>
>>9266645
i dont care what poor people think
>>
>>9266651
It is important to put them in their place by pointing out their arguments are retarded.
>>
>>9266619
>The most notable cores that don't require it are the Sega Genesis, Atari 5200, GBA, and TG16.
Is there somewhere a full list of the systems with their ram requirements for mister?
>>
>>9266507
Its NOT emulation you dumbfuck poojeet.
>>
>>9266754
Cycle accurate emulation is still, in fact, emulation
>>
>>9266762
If I use an FPGA to mine Bitcoin is that emulation?
>>
>>9266754
Analogue marketing team detected
>>
>>9266558
Yeah I don't get cars like that it's not like you can even drive them fast on the roads
>>
>>9266474
>I think my favourite thing about the mister is I just play games on it lmao.
Same. I was about to setup an old PC I had as a mini emulation machine and gave up after how much shit I'd need to configure. I just don't care anymore. But that's just me of course
>>
>>9266750
>Is there somewhere a full list of the systems with their ram requirements for mister?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Cores-that-use-SDRAM
>>
>>9266212
>wanting to join the vegans of retro gaming
lawl
>>
>>9267029
So how big is your warehouse that houses all of your arcade cabinets?
>>
Do you have an actual use case for it?

It's that simple. 99% of people, very simply, don't. If you're planning on plugging your MiSTer into an LCD, don't buy one. If you have little to no interest in light gun titles or original controllers, don't buy one. Nothing the MiSTer can do will be a worthwhile upgrade from fucking Retroarch.
>>
>>9267067
lol
>>
>>9267029
>the vegans of retro gaming
fucking perfect
>>
File: FHqeOGlXIAEriez.jpg (1018 KB, 1920x1081)
1018 KB
1018 KB JPG
>>9267067
>Nothing the MiSTer can do will be a worthwhile upgrade from fucking Retroarch.
Define worthwhile?
>>
>>9267225
Of any value. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you morons buying into this shit, it drives down add-on board prices, and you probably all sub to patreon faggots for more cores you'll never play, but if you're playing on an LCD, you'd have a better time with retroarch, objectively.
>>
>>9266212
You’re better off just getting an emulation box that can easily do 5th gen and potentially even a bit of 6th/7th gen. People act like Mister’s hardware emulation is some mystical thing, but most software emulators are absurdly accurate and more flexible that they’re honestly a better choice. NVidia shield for example is far cheaper, and far more powerful, allows for Steamlink, and can be used for Streaming services as well. Mister is a very pointless and masturbatory device.
>>
>>9267239
I could apply the same logic and say Mister is worthless compared to groovymame.
>>
>>9267248
Call me when groovymame lets me plug in all my lightguns.
>>
>>9266381
it's worth it just for the CPS2 core which is pretty much 1:1 with the actual arcade board to the point where even FGC tourneys are using it alongside real boards.
>>
>>9267067
>use case
see >>9267301
>>
>>9267254
Disregarding light guns how does groovy mame and mister match up
>>
>>9267465
Running mame is a chore at the best of times, trying to get that shit working on a CRT? I'm good.
>>
>>9267468
Good point. Finalburn neo is way better
>>
>>9267067
If you own original light guns and controllers, why don't you own the original console?
>>
>>9267475
I own some of them, all bought before MiSTer was a thing. My MiSTer setup was cheaper than the cost of getting an RGB NES and a flashcart for it, and I wanted to play zapper titles. I also didn't have a PCE, and my Mega Drive flashcart broke on me because chink QC.

My SuFami works fine, but I don't use it because MiSTer has superior video output and is faster to use, I don't have to wait for games to flash before I can play them. I haven't bothered hooking up any of my older consoles since getting a MiSTer, because I don't need to. If I want to play a Super Scope game, I just plug it in and find a bunch of batteries.
>>
>>9267304
>>9267301
everybody plays old fighting games with fightcade on PC
do you even go to FGC events or is just desperate to defend your emubox mr. shill?
>>
>>9267558
>fightcade

He is obviously talking about in person events.
>>
this is hilariously stupid. and you know it can't play the entire xbox catalogue, just what can be emulated on PC. hell, maybe it can't even do that much.

buy one if you're flushed with cash, otherwise just invest in PC parts or actual old hardware and games you fucking retard
>>
I bought one back when it cost $130, for that price it's a great emu box that's easy to plug into crt, with today's prices not so much.
Addon boards other than RAM are a ripoff though.
>>
>>9267239
I don't have a G-Sync monitor or TV, so I can't play old consoles at their native speeds in Retroarch. MiSTer does and my TV syncs without issues.
>>
>>9267661
I doubt your TV is actually syncing.
>>
>>9267671
It is. The scroll test on 240p test suit is flawless.
>>
>>9266212
its great
do not pay a markup price for it anon

fastest bootup times in the west kek
>>
>>9266212
there's no point when you can just emulate, buy a decent pc instead
>>
>>9267705
How do you not pay the markup price? You probably only pay an extra 50 dollars or so for it pre built if you look at non Hebrew stores
>>
>>9267886
There are MiSTer part sellers based in Israel? I'm only aware of American, British, Portuguese, Spanish and Chinese sellers.
>>
>>9267905
Only Israeli in spirit *cough*misteraddons*cough*
>>
>>9266212
My friend owns 2 of these and brings it with him to every party and he absolutely loves it. For me i'm perfectly happy with a softmodded Playstation classic and don't care about much else but for someone who wants their games to play as authentically as possible and you don't mind tinkering, its fantastic.
>>
>>9266282
i've heard alot about these so looked them up, with all the addons its redicuously over priced, and they seem too much hassle to set up, a pc for a 3rd of the cost will do just as good or even better, these r for people with more money than sense.
>>
Get a CRT TV, any size will do. Buy whatever old console you want to pl and get a flashcart for it.
>>
>>9267950
ok esl
>>
>>9266212
I've been wanting one too. I'll give my argument for and against:

For:
Hobbyist items are fun and it's interesting to mess around with this new set of tools for gaming. Especially since it's relatively new and that's usually a fun time to be around things
If we get pretty native portability to newer hardware as it comes out I can look forward to further cores over time

Cons:
Prices have gone up and I feel like I can just use my raspberry pi
If new hardware does come out and new cores utilize that hardware it seems prudent to wait since I don't need any of this anyway
>>
>>9267956
I live in a small apartment, I literally don't have room for one
>>
>>9267950
I had it up and running in 30 minutes. Honestly disappointing, I expected to thinker more with it like with a retropie setup
>>
Much better experience than software emulators of you're just interested in playing the fucking games. Even more so if you plan on using a CRT and OEM controllers. It's a great little device, I have nothing but praise for me. No clue why /vr/ shits on it so much, you'd think people here would be happy with a device that preserves the original hardware experience as well as the mister does, everyone wins
>>
>>9267994
>If new hardware does come out and new cores utilize that hardware it seems prudent to wait since I don't need any of this anyway

Unlikely for many many years. The only reason this thing is even "affordable" is due to the DE10 being subsidized. Similar FPGA boards (Most of which lack the additional ARM processor the DE10 has) that are not subsidized are $700 or even in the four figure range. And the Cyclone V FPGA that the DE10 uses was released in 2011, over a decade ago, yet is still widely relevant today and still among Intel's latest in their publicly available FPGAs.

There is only one newer FPGA by Intel, the Cyclone 10 released in 2017. Except that this is supposed to be a cheaper alternative that's barely 1/4th the specs of what the Cyclone V is.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a competitor either, there are only two major FPGA manufacturers in the world: Xilinx and Altera. Which are owned by AMD and Intel respectively. Every other FPGA manufacturer combined doesn't even make up 13% of the rest of the market.

Basically, the Cyclone V is not going to be replaced until it makes the DE10 too old and weak to work as a development and learning tool anymore, which is not going to happen in likely even a decade since it's still far overkill for what people still use the DE10 for today in terms of learning and development that Intel designed them for and there isn't much competition, especially competition that can make a more powerful FPGA and release it on a dev board that also has an ARM CPU while having enough money on-hand to be able to subsidize it.
>>
File: 240npl.jpg (10 KB, 251x242)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
FGPA Everdrive>Aya Neo Pro>Anbernic RG 351>>Odroid>Aya Neo (regular)>Raspberry Pi>>>Retro Pocket 3>>Evercade>Coolboy RS-97+>>Powkiddy a66>>Analouge Pocket>Pirate multicart>>>Coolboy RS-97>>>>>MiSTER
>>
>>9268163
(you)
>>
>>9268072
Most people here are poorfags and they wanna feel better about themselves, you'll see the same shitposts on anything that isn't emulation or cheap ass chink handheld.
>>
File: 1663546247960.webm (1.72 MB, 320x240)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB WEBM
It's really cool. The PS1 core is solid.
>>
>>9267886
direct from manufacturer
have a student order it for you etc
>>
File: 1660959688943.png (187 KB, 1142x1658)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>9267956
>Buy whatever old console you want
Why?
The Mister run all of pic related with cycle accuracy and if i want to use a modern tv with it i don't any other extremely overpriced hardware to have an good image.
>>
>>9266212
like you I've been on the fence probably since I've ever heard of the damn thing.
The fact there guys like you and me don't have a definitive answer as to whether or not to get it seems like the reason not to.
If it was a TRUE gamechanger, the choice would be obvious.
But here's my reasoning

1. Not worth getting unless you need to have analogue video out
2. Not worth getting if you already do emulation. There's nothing the MiSTer project does that is noticeably worse in software emulation. Note: this may change in the future when/if the Saturn core is optimized
3. Not worth getting at the price, which is 400-500 when you get all the mandatory add ons like RAM upgrade, USB, case, and VGA.

It's a really cool piece of kit though. And the very idea of cycle perfect emulation is quite a sexy concept. I think only speedrunners would care enough about that and even then, I wouldn't take the accuracy claims seriously until their scene starts accepting scores on MiSTer in the same category as original hardware.

Having said that, I probably will break down and get one, sell my 4th gen and below hardware to fund it, then be pissed when those consoles shoot up in value while the De10-nano is outdated by something else cooler that can do more systems
>>
>>9268248
With student discount even if you order direct in US (for me) it would cost probably 180 or so+parts from retro castle on AliExpress (sdram+case+hub+io) comes to approx 330 usd. Or you could buy it pre-made for 100 more lmao. Retro castle store is based because it isn't like 600 dollars like other prebuilts
>>
>>9268248
still 50 bucks for shipping lol.
even after I told them I don't need 3 day express and I was fine with any other courier they never responded.
It's pretty scummy to pull that kind of BS. They never tell you the cost of shipping until you place an order with them.
>>
>>9268442
Oh yeah I didn't factor this in, I figured directly contacting them would cut the shipping down to 10-15 dollars. So more like 350
>>
>>9268182
this, most the time you're arguing with a south american who can't afford dinner, there's a common theme even in this thread where the retards criticizing it have no idea how to even get it up and running or what the cost of entry is
>>
>>9268431
>3. Not worth getting at the price, which is 400-500 when you get all the mandatory add ons like RAM upgrade, USB, case, and VGA.

>VGA
>Mandatory
lmfao you guys are fucking idiots I swear

it's $210 for the board, $40 for the memory, $20 for the USB board *IF* you want it, you dont even fucking need it or the case, and the case is just another $30, you faggots look at (((misteraddons))) and think that's the only way to go
>>
>>9268457
If vga isn't mandatory why the fuck would you buy it when you can literally just emulate on a modern display? Unless you really want arcade accuracy better than mame/fbn can do the main draw is the easy analog out.
>>
>>9266754
What the fuck do you think it is?
You nattering idiots never explain how it isn't emulation.
>>9268457
100%, I have a bare bones setup using a cheap powered USB hub, basic case I made out of an old ITX case I 3d printed a fitting for (you could just drill new holes into the case if you wanted something permanant) and 128mb SRAM module for less than 200 euro, DE10-Nano included. It doesn't even need a heatskin or active fan cooling unless you stuff it into a shitty tiny case with no airflow around / across the board.
>>
>>9268572
You can't even get a de-10 by itself for that price nowadays
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 530x381)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>9268575
If you don't count taxes or shipping, close to it.
>>
>>9268572
The reason it's disingenuous to refer to both software emulation and fpga emulation in the same word is that they work very differently. Yes, it's emulation. No, it's not equivalent to software emulation

In any sofware emulator you're going to have differeng amounts of input delay and audio delay. Yeah, in retroarch you can get some cores down to two frames or so of audio delay, and with runahead you can even manage less input delay than the original hardware. But FPGA emulation is going to just feel like the console. It's not going to have any audio delay. The input delay will be exactly as it was (given your display of course). It's going to work with peripherals the same way. You're not going to get audio skips and frame inconsistencies. It's going to feel like your playing something on a native device

I'm not even saying software emulation is bad, or depending on your preferences even superior to FPGA or even original hardware. But either way there's a vert stark difference in feeling when using one over the other.

If you want games to feel like native hardware experiences, mister/fpga emulation is a better feeling solution and I'd recommend the mister
>>
>>9268690
Bullshit. It's emulation just like software emulation but using hardware programming instead of software. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH FUCKING ANYTHING including fucking delays/lag/etc. Nothing. You can program one thing to be just as good as the other given good programming.
This fucking fpga shit is a scam made to take money away from fools. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>9268704
retard
>>
>>9268704
>just like software emulation but using hardware
>>
>make new super accurate hardware emulator
>doesn't support n64, dreamcast, ps2, anything with shit emulation
womp womp
>>
>>9268704
Its a 1:1 copy of the hardware in fpga that is not emulation but a clone
>>
>>9269224
That’s not true at all
The main chips function in the same way
>>
Somebody has finally compared Mister fpga vs Bsnes (with run ahead ) input latency on lcd.

Mister fpga won every time, he had to put runahead at 3 frame to get the even result and it was at the price of frame skip.

So now there is no more place with the bullshit Mister fpga = emulation with run ahead.

You can't get the accuracy and the low input latency of Mister fpga on emulation, period.

https://youtu.be/u0XuAoSm0P8?t=1368
>>
>>9269382
Mister plays more than snes for on thing. Once saturn gets in there won't even be a point of comparison for that system.
>>
>>9269402
What do you mean?
Saturn emulation has no issues, it’s 64 that has problems
>>
>>9269382
Run ahead input setting in Retroarch has less input lag than the actual systems themselves.
>>
>>9269439
>Saturn emulation has no issues
>>
>>9269451
Input lag is good as long as it's only as much as mister supports.
>>
>>9269451
That's not how it works anon. Entirely game and setup dependent. One frame on runahead removes 16ms of I put delay. Depending on the game you can certainly get into that range, but if a game only has one frame of built in delay, you can't ramp up runahead more than that without breaking the game in someway
>>
>>9269461
It really doesn’t, it’s not 2009 anymore anon
>>
>>9269541
Just because its not unplayable dogshit doesnt mean it has no issues. Its super behind compared to PSX and even N64 emulation now. Just the other day I was playing Radiant Silvergun and it still has graphical bugs. It still has a very long way to go.
>>
File: LLS.jpg (97 KB, 681x540)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>9269805
Exactly! People seem to think "playable" means "without issues". Playable just means that technically you can play the game. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can actually complete the game, or that it won't be riddled with bugs and missing graphics even if it's technically completable, or that you can reach the ending but some game modes or side quests/optional areas crash or don't work at all.

"Playable" does not mean "Pretty much a similar experience to playing it on the actual console".

In fact, I believe it was only about a year or two ago that Linkle Liver Story stopped crashing when trying to enter the world map on currently active Saturn emulators. Good timing too as that's around the same time an English translation also came out.
>>
>>9269382
I'm not sure how accurate that test is. Ive found other tests that conflict with that, this test found that bsnes has the same input lag as original hardware without any runahead, and that runahead resulted in less lag than original hardware.

https://www.retrorgb.com/bsnes-runahead-mode-lag-tested.html

Its possible there were other factors causing additional input lag in that guys test. Maybe it was the USB controller? On Windows you have to overclock a USB driver for most controllers to not have inherent input lag, on MiSTer I assume it would be done out of the box.
>>
>>9269402
saturn emulation is the one thing that has me excited for the project since most of the other consoles it can play already have cycle-accurate emulation, and a real Saturn is nearly as much as getting a MiSTer setup.
>>
>>9270014
One side effect that everyone benefits from is since the transistors and shit is being documented, it's actually fixed several long standing issues especially in various mame implementations.
>>
>>9269382
Mister is emulation dumb fuck.
So much cope and buyers remorse in this thread. It’s hilarious. Keep lying to yourself.
>>
>>9270125
You're one of these retards that buys a new TV, never touches any of the settings and can't tell that all of the garbage motion interpolation shit that comes standard is trashing your video quality. 'lol there's no difference you spaz'
>>
IT’S HECKIN ACCURATE OKAY? WHO CARES IF IT CAN’T RUN CONSOLES THAT ARE ACTUALLY DIFFICULT TO EMULATE
>>
>>9266212
You can get a raspberry pi 4 and do the exact same thing for 100 bucks and 40 bucks when they come back in stock. You will feel like an idiot paying 500 dollars. Let the other idiots keep buying them until the price goes down.
There are multiple ways to get analog out from an rpi4. The easiest way costs 5 dollars and requires no soldering or extra boards. Naysayers will say the video quality is bad, they do not realize you need to use tv-out-tweaks to get proper composite video out.
They might also say that rpi4 can’t do resolution switching/240p. This is also false.

Mistertrannies are going to bombard me with (you)s about how mister is le perfectly accurate and le perfectly lag free with le perfect video out when rpi4 can do all of these things with cycle accurate emulators, run-ahead and multiple options for video out.
Mister is for guys who look like the “my life in gaming” c.uck who talks like his mom.
>>
>>9270014
A Japanese Saturn is like 80 bucks what the fuck are you talking about? You can’t give these things away there.
>>
>>9270198
>composhit
Lol. Lmao, even.

I paid 200 bucks for my MiSTer.
>>
>>9270206
>bro everyone modded their consoles and TVs for RGB and developers totally expected their audience to be playing on professional viewing monitors and bro dithering and blending don’t exist bro RGB IS THE ONLY WAY ITS WHY VIDEO GAMES EXIST I AM A TRUE HOBBYIST
RGBniggers get the fucking rope. RGBniggers think they are getting a superior experience when in reality they are getting an uglier one.
If you actually spent 200 dollars on a mister (which I doubt you did unless you bought it second hand from someone giving you a deal) then you spent 160 bucks more than you needed to get the same exact experience with less options.
>>
>>9270198
>You can get a raspberry pi 4 and do the exact same thing
Lol
>>
>>9270230
Is there anything sadder than mutts who act like the rest of the first world didn't have fucking RGB? I own RGB cables that are older than your shithole of a "country".
>>
>>9270235
What’s one thing mister can do that an rpi4 can’t? I dare you to name a single fucking thing.
>>
>>9270198
fuck off dude, rpi is fucken garbo
>>
>>9270239
Alright, can you plug in a Super Scope and have it work?
>>
>>9270237
And I have a dick fatter than your mother you dumb eurotrash cumguzzler.
>Ohhh muh scart ohhh muh 50hz
You faggots have been doing it wrong forever.
>>
>>9270129
Nope. I just use my soldering skills to hdmi/RGB mod my consoles. You’re one of those people who are autistic enough to believe you can notice one single frame of input lag aren’t you? Pathetic. Enjoy pretending you’re anything else with your emulation box.
>>
>>9270239
Okay. Show me one PS1 software emulation solution (any of them, not even just the RP4) that

>Has no additional input delay
>Has no additional audio delay
>Auto detects and works with peripherals like the NeGcon just like real hardware without any other configuration necessary, literally just plug and play

You can't. You're next move is to say "No one cares about that"
>>
>just buy the britbong pi I swear it’ll be $40 someday
Do you people not have computers?
>>
>>9270239
as someone who owns both rpi4 is fucking garbage as an emulation box, the composite out is borderline nonfunctional, ps1 emulation is subpar, n64 emulation is borderline unusable. I'd rather use a Wii. you can output analog on an RPI4 with the IO board but it adds a shit ton to the cost for a pretty subpar experience.

the only reason the Pi is popular as an emulation box is because its the most popular single board and is well supported. It really was not built with retro enthusiasts in mind whatsoever.
>>
>>9270245
>implies mister can do more things than rpi4
>no I don’t need to name them it’s just garbo like be a decent human being and get SiSTer!!!
>>9270246
There are multiple ways of emulating light guns on pi with wiimote/sinden as well as mouse -> lightgun. Without researching I don’t know if it can use something like a 5th/6th gen light gun.

Mister has snes controller ports?
You actually want to play those novelty shit “games”?
>>
>>9270275
>>9270230
what kind of /v/ tier schizo meltdown am I reading? holy shit. Never in my life have I seen so many walls of cope.
>>
>>9270275
>>There are multiple ways of emulating light guns on pi with wiimote/sinden
Neither of those are light guns.

But hey, you don't want to play Super Scope games? Okay, how about Guncon. Or Zapper. Or fucking light phaser? They all connect to a MiSTer via SNAC.
>>
>>9270259
PSOnes are 50 bucks on eBay with a controller and cables and they are piss easy to software mod now because of TonyHax. Both the Pi and the PSOne ran me…are you ready for this… 90 dollars combined. Can’t get more accurate than the actual console can you? Why would you emulate something that’s THAT cheap. It’s just “plug and play” bro but keep coping with your 500 dollar c.uckbox.
Furthermore, raspberry pi 4 can emulate PS1 more than fine.
>>9270268
You didn’t set up the composite out or resolution properly then, retard. You have to enable tv-out-tweaks in shaders and it makes the video out indistinguishable from something like SNES or Genesis composite.
The mister will never do N64 but at least the pi can brute force some games to be playable so shit point. Anyone who wants N64 properly on a CRT has to go real hardware.
>>
>>9270313
>What’s one thing mister can do that an rpi4 can’t"
>Immediately shifts into real hardware when he can't

lol
also pro tip, a mister does more than emulate ps1. Hell, it's worth the price of admission for Neo Geo alone if you're going to go the real hardware comparison route
>>
>>9270284
How many hours a year do you play Yoshi’s Safari that is worth the 500+ dollars you put into an emulation box? Or do you just keep the superscope on display to impress the girls you invite over into your c.uckshed?
>>
>>9270313
Bull fucking shit, load up 240p suite on your pi right now and go to the checkerboard color bleed test and post a picture.

If you somehow fixed the awful color bleed please tell me what you did. Genuinely mean that but I doubt you found a solution, I looked forever for one and nothing.
>>
>>9270320
Rpi CAN do psx, what point are you trying to make? You spent 500 dollars on a glorified emulator and your life from here on out is a forevercope because deep down you know your a consoomtard.
>>
>>9270327
see
>>9270259
>>
>>9270323
How many hours a year do you spend UNABLE to play Yoshi's Safari on your shitty Pi box? How many hot girls have run away screaming from your place after hearing you can't even play a game that basic?
>>
>>9270330
A real PSOne… IS 50 FUCKING DOLLARS LOL
If you NEED the nigcon meme controller and NEED muh accuracy… then why aren’t you just using one of the cheapest consoles you can buy instead of “bragging” about how your 500 dollar paperweight can do ps1 slightly better than rpi for 10 times the fucking price lol.
>>
>>9270337
>You're next move is to say "No one cares about that"

lol
>>
ITT poorfag schizo has a meltdown
>>
>>9270340
You spent 500 dollars to brag about being able to use a novelty racing controller with “no additional setup” for games you barely play and you think I’m retarded?

Misterniggers have a mindvirus.
>>
>>9270348
>"Show me one thing it can do that an RP4 can't"
>"B-but money! B-but real hardware! B-but no one cares about those features"

No no anon, keeping going, this is fun
>>
>>9270326
I will as soon as I get home, I’d genuinely like to help you with this.
If you want to test it yourself quick, go to settings and enable “tv-out-tweaks” in shaders.
>>
so from the thread so far it seems like the #1 reason to buy a mister is if you want to use light guns but really don't want to own real hardware
is this right?
>>
>>9270367
Sure, that's why I got one. Worked out cheaper than a couple of consoles and flashcarts.
>>
>>9270352
You spent over 10 times the price you needed to (500 fucking dollars) to play ridge racer.
You spent 500 dollars (over 10 times the prices you needed to) to have a 4 frames less lag than software emulation from a 40 dollar computer.

Anon, you are retarded and the nigcon works with rpi.
>>
>>9270367
Number 1 reason is to get a very close facsimile to real hardware without having to spend nearly as much money. I'm pretty sure the mister is cheaper than just a Neo Geo with a flashcart alone and does the job just as well, and that's before you even start to get into the costs of every other console + flashcart solution would run you
>>
>>9270369
Yes, the mister is quite a bit better than software solutions. I'm glad you're finally able to admit it anon

Also no clue where you're getting that 500 number from lol. I think it was closer to 300
>>
>>9270381
The old
>oh i magically didn’t pay retail
cope/lie.
Okay, I’ll buy your lie for the sake of proving to you how dumb as fuck you are.
You spent 300 dollars to brag about playing ridge racer perfectly accurately, something that would have cost you 50 bucks or less if you weren’t completely braindead and aimless.
>>
>>9270390
no clue why you seem to think I only play PS1 games lol
>>
>>9270390
You're forgetting the cost of the ODE though, so like 150 bucks. And that's 1 system.

What is this "retail" shit anyway? The dev board is 200 bucks dude. Stop buying OMG L@@K FULLY LOADED MISTAR BOARDS ALL GAMES off eBay.
>>
rpi has better support and that is what really matters
>>
>>9270401
A ps1 memory card is around 8 bucks. TonyHax is free. You don’t need ODE for PS1 and if you fucking give me the “muh laser” shit I’ll have you know my 1997 PS1 still reads discs like the day I got it.
>>9270401
Show me all the components you bought to have a complete functioning mister setup that cost 200 dollars.
>>
>>9270410
>>Show me all the components you bought to have a complete functioning mister setup that cost 200 dollars.
So now you're moving the goalposts? The board was 200 bucks, the add-ons totaled about 70 or so. Got most of them from china, and a few SNAC boards locally because they were cheaper back then.

>You don’t need ODE for PS1
MiSTer is ODE level, though. Why would I compare a shittier option where I have to sort through a stack of discs vs looking through a menu? Might as well argue that Retroarch is better because it costs nothing, so MiSTer is infinitely more expensive but not infinitely better.
>>
>>9270410
Or I could just buy a mister, have it just work all of the time and for everything N64 and below at native hardware quality parity for cheaper than what real hardware would cost without the worry of degrading disk drives and aged hardware

Which is what I did, and it's great. But you keep fucking without RP4 anon, everyone has their own preferences
>>
>>9270426
*below N64*, not 'and', sorry
>>
>>9270424
>a functioning setup is moving the goalpost! Mister is 200 dollars see!
This level of cope was thought to be impossible yet here we are.

No, you don’t “need” ODE, it’s just convenience. If you are too fat and lazy to pick a disc from a spool and put it in a cd drive then you should be worrying about your health.
>>9270426
Okay, have fun with it.
>>
>>9270443
>>No, you don’t “need” ODE,
I've had disc drives just fail to read the next song on over a dozen occasions, with 3 of those being on PS1. And more outright DREs.

I need ODEs. It's 2022, there should be no possible reason for anyone to use a fucking dogshit CD drive.
>>
File: 1594448200963.jpg (133 KB, 776x678)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>9266212
FGPA Everdrive>Aya Neo Pro>Anbernic RG 351>>Odroid>Aya Neo (regular)>Raspberry Pi>>>Retro Pocket 3>>Evercade>Coolboy RS-97+>>Powkiddy a66>>Analouge Pocket>>Pirate multicart>Powkiddy v90>>Coolboy RS-97>>>>>MiSTER
>>
>>9270450
You don’t need ODE lol it’s just convenient.

Now show me where you bought all the parts for your mister that cost 200 dollars you fucking bullshitter.
>>
>>9270462
got mine pre-covid and ya it was under $200
>>
>>9266212
Dunno what that is but
>moving parts
Nope
>>
>>9270562
The only moving part is an optional and easily replicable fan on the top
>>
>>9270568
>The only moving part is
I just said nope
>>
>>9270568
replaceable*
>>
>>9270230
>bro everyone modded their consoles and TVs for RGB

SCART, which rivals Component, has been around in Europe and Japan since the early 80s you turbofag
>>
>>9270818
scart was not a widespread connector in japan you zoomer shitbag doublenigger, it was very rare. composite was king in NTSC and therefore that is what devs developed for. so tired of you faggots.
>>
>>9270852
Except it was in wide use up until HDMI replaced it you turbofaggot, so tired of you PiAutists porfagging all over the board because you can't afford above garbage-tier emulation.

>This is the part where the autist tries to cope by insisting they are really a Surgeon Playboy Millionaire Astronaut with 10 PhDs
>>
>>9270857
nta, but he's not wrong, SCART was about as common in Japan as component was in the US. Sure people used it but most normies didn't a fuck and just used composite

Japan is notorious for not giving a shit about video quality, just look at all their game recordings, it's all composite and VHS tier recordings
>>
>>9269215
I will pay $550 to emulate genesis games with 1 less frame of lag and I'll be happy
>>
>>9266212
They are way inflated right now, and I think fpga will become more prevalent in the future to replace out of prodution computers in equipment. But maybe $500 is worth it to you.
>>
I built mine for about 300 a year ago, where the fuck are you people getting 550 bucks from
>>
>>9270320
Lel this is funny as fuck. Predicted what he was going to say one hundred percent.

>name one thing
>names several things
b-b-but nobody cares about those t-t-things, you can buy original hardware (aka not raspi I'm defending) for cheap, you're not a poorfag are you?
>>
>>9271015
>b-b-but nobody cares about those t-t-things, you can buy original hardware (aka not raspi I'm defending) for cheap, you're not a poorfag are you?
what if i told you i have all the hardware and still just use the mister because it's convenient and just as accurate?
>>
>>9270390
This is the only valid criticism he has has here. The "I didn't pay retail for this" is very common
>>
>>9271018
You would be based sir.

>>9270971
Let me tally it up

235 for base system
60 for sdram
80 for the case and analog io (why wouldn't you just emulate if you are using digital out? Analog io is about 55 by itself, and the case+usb ports etc are worth the extra 25)

Now add in around 20 dollars for the shipping and you are looking at 400 or so for it. Retro castle has it pre-built on aliex for 430, realistically it costs around 400 if you want it complete and can do without a case, maybe 375.
>>
>>9270971
got mine last month
$231 shipped fom terasec
$65 sdram from mister addons
$65 for everything needed to build a case including a 120mm noctua 5v fan
>>
>>9266360
What precisely are you attempting to mock, there? That the board is subsidised by intel, or that such subsidies are typically part of a marketing strategy and not "real" discounts?
>>
>>9270963
How is a heavily subsidised device using old expensive tech way inflated?
>>
>>9271304

Not him but I'd assume the latter

>>9271319

Define heavily subsidized, do they make these devices at a loss or razor thin margins?
>>
>>9270857
>Except it was in wide use blah blah blah lie lie lie
No it fucking wasn’t lol. You are making up a fantasy world to win a 4chan argument. JP21 connectors were only used on super high end sets, aka TVs 99 percent of people in Japan did not own.
Composite was the standard in NTSC territories, this is an indisputable fact you shit eating sperg.
>>
>>9271476
Says the sperg who is the only one sperging out at everyone because their Pibox is a piece of shit that is all they can afford.
>>
>>9270261
/thread
>>
>>9266212
If you don't mind spending $500 to play pre-5th gen games, then you do you.
>>
>>9271594
>gets caught lying
>”well…well…well you’re retarded for not spending 400-500 dollars!! Only poorfags wouldn’t waste their money on a memester!!!”
Lol my 40 dollar econobox does everything yours can except I can configure it more. If mister was 150 bucks, it would be worth it, but 4-500 average is just insanity and only a braindead consoomer or hardcore hobbyist with money to burn would even consider it.
Also, for the last time everybody, RGB is bad for bideo. If that’s how you want to play, fine, but don’t go spinning webs about how everyone was gaming on SCART or RGB in the 80s and 90s. 90 percent of the global gaming audience were using composite video, 99 percent in NTSC territories. That’s what home console games were designed for in mind and no amount of bullshit you can leak from your newfaggot mouth changes this fact.
Ever notice why Commander Keen/Jill of the Jungle/Jazz Jackrabbit are ugly as sin compared to console games? It’s because they completely lack the art direction intended for 240p and blending, so it’s ugly raw pixels with a sharp chunky look through VGA.
>>
File: 1634278772064.jpg (301 KB, 974x1000)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
Where do you guys buy cases for the full stack with the I/O board and whatnot? All of them seem to be like $60-80 aluminum cases. Is there not a cheaper option? I just want a basic thing for protection, not something nice
>>
>>9271639
Make your own out of a pizza box.
>>
>>9271639
Get a 3D printed one off etsy
>>
>>9271639
Btw, cases made from 2 dollars of aluminum for 80 bucks is a gigantic red flag that the thing it’s for is an overpriced novelty for fat guys with goatees (that watch anime).
>>
>>9271663
Dont you get bored of this? Isnt there another thread you have to shit up?
>>
>>9271668
What about it pissed you off? I want you to tell everyone reading.
>>
>>9271663
one day you will get a job anon
>>
>>9271675
One day you will have sex when you finally break down and spend 80 dollars on 2 dollars worth of whore you dumbshit nigger.
>>
>>9271684
you have never made anything in your life, probably not even your own dinner
>>
>>9271624
>Huffing Pi copium
>Muh shitty dollar store coposite cable is the real way to play, serious guyz!
>Using "Consoomer"

It honestly makes it easy when the Pitards just own themselves for you
>>
>>9271476
Why are Japs now RGB modding their consoles just like everyone else?
>>
>>9271697
there are barely any consoles that need RGB modding, why does everyone always say this?
>>
>>9271701
Why are Japs now modding the few consoles that benefit from RGB modding like everyone else.
>>
>>9271702
mainly because they use newer TV's and they don't pirate
>>
>>9271704
That doesn't answer my question. There are far simpler ways of connecting to a modern tv than RGB mods.
>>
>>9271687
Your mom is going to make me dinner after I make a baby with her asshole, then we are gonna watch dunston checks in on tape….OVER COMPOSITE, NIGGER!!!
>>9271694
>500 dollars for ridge racer
>>
>>9271697
Because Japan has the highest rate of bored aimless incels followed by USA, duh.
>>
>>9271719
I don't know what you are basing that on considering the Japanese birth rate is the same as the ethnic European one.
>>
>>9271724
That’s a gigantic can of worms that I can’t reply to otherwise jannies will ban me, but I’ll say this:
Japs aren’t making babies in their own ethnostate because they are the land of salarymen and animetards who would rather by statues of cartoons or tickets to an idol concert than talk to an actual woman.
You can accurately predict an ethnic groups birth rate by simply tallying how many of it’s men are RGB modding TVs and consoles lol.
>>
>>9271710
I don't think you know what you are talking about, RGB is the cleanest output, regardless of using upscalers and again, they don't pirate
>>
>>9271715
make it for yourself using the same materials and design it yourself and see how much it ends up costing you
>>
>why purchase a quality product for 300 bucks when you can spend 50 bucks on a shit tier single board computer and never shut up about it?
>>
File: The real copium.jpg (72 KB, 1280x738)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
All you idiots who argue that the games were "designed" to use all these shitty video signals are all hypocrites if you aren't using image related. Don't forget that RF was by far the most common connection during the NES and even in the earlier years of the SNES era. Games were not even "designed" for composite, so if you are aren't using RF and getting interference from a VCR, analog antenna, and nearby unshielded AC devices then you still aren't playing the games "the way they were designed and meant to be played".

They even make it easy to daisy-chain these so you can have all your consoles on the same RF input without needing a switchbox, the way it was MEANT to be played. Not that composite shit.

Nearly every "way it was meant to be played" setup I see with an NES, Genesis, or SNES is using composite, you posers. Some even disregard the way it was designed further by using a Y-Splitter on the NES or a headphone to RCA cable on the Genesis to get stereo when the consoles were never "meant" to output to more than one speaker even over composite. You pretenders with your component and stereo NES/Genesis setups don't belong here.

>>9271701
Both the NES and N64 need mods to do RGB, and even some models of the SNES. The GameCube needs special cables of which only recently 3rd party ones started being made (official ones used to cost several hundred) and has to be an older model that still has digital out. It used to be cheaper to get your GameCube HDMI modded then hunt down component cables for it.

Most other non-Nintendo systems from the 3rd gen and later can natively output RGB without modification.

>>9271710
Because they want it to actually look good and have little lag, not just display an image at all. You can only do so much with a composite source, if the console could not output RGB natively then you need to install a mod to get better video out of it. Some upscalers don't even accept a signal that is composite and need some sort of RGB or component.
>>
>>9271762
>and never shut up about it?
this applies to both
>>
>>9271762
>implying mister sisters ever shut up about their gay toy
No self awareness from mistersisters. Nobody talks about a pi being gods gift to computing, but every mistersister acts like the mister is the greatest thing that has ever happened to video games when it’s just another emulation box.
>>9271747
Some anon did the math earlier in the thread and said it would come out to around 400 dollars in current market for all components needed. That’s about 250 dollars more than what it does.
>>
>>9271764
>Don't forget that RF was by far the most common connection during the NES and even in the earlier years of the SNES era
RF and composite have a similar effect minus the noise so your argument is moot
>>
>>9271772
>That’s about 250 dollars more than what it does.
I don't even think you can buy a neo geo flash cart for 250 bucks
>>
>>9271772
I don't think a case would cost that much but yes it is quite a bit more costly than 2 dollars
the laser cutting alone is gonna set you back quite a bit
>>
>>9271764
Based. RF is essentially just composite with more noise though and yes, RF and Composite were the overwhelming majority of NTSC connections. I played PlayStation with an RF connector in 1997.
>>9271775
My 40 dollar pi has fbneo and three other emulators to choose from lol.
>>
>>9271784
enjoy your input and audio delay lol
>>
>>9271790
What is: run-ahead
>>
>>9271790
thanks, I will
https://youtu.be/QmNovlUUepI?t=582
>>
>>9271649
have you seen the price of pizza these days??
>>
>>9271795
>not using SNAC peripherals
USB devices all have latency, it's part of the USB protocol.
>>
>>9271820
you can get it down to 1ms for chistsake
>>
>>9271820
Yes, I'm sure latency is a huge problem with mice and keyboards
>>
>>9271820
everything has latency, the question is how much and is it perceivable. USB with fast polling it indistinguishable to SNAC for most non autists. Heck on MiSTer most people could get away with Bluetooth without feeling any lag.
>>
>>9266212
You need to set a goal for yourself or you will burn through a lot of money needlessly and won't be happy with any setup you buy.

My goal was to get a low profile retro gaming setup but I had to either commit to a single console or buying an emulation box about the size of a set-top box. At one point, I was happy with the Nvidia Shield Portable when it had just come out but after one drop the screen started dying and I was past the RMA date. After that, I got a Raspberry Pi 3B+ which allowed me to use my KV-9PT50 and was sort of happy with that since RetroPie covered the consoles I cared about but with noticeable input delay and random slowdown. Ever since I bought the MiSTer, having a platform that closely runs the games compared to original hardware has given me a new appreciation for consoles I thought were boring like the Atari 2600. Many games I previously played tons of on software emulation solutions just felt better. The initial impression I had was that games felt really raw without experiencing the quirks found in software emulators. The price of the MiSTer FPGA is worth the peace of mind it's brought me while enjoying lagless retro gaming in a low profile setup. Already took it to parties several times and people couldn't describe how good it felt to play retro games basing their experiences with using software emulators or modern compilations. I watched a friend beat his own personal speedrun records using the MiSTer but like many of you, he felt the price that it's going for right now is too high and only worthwhile if you tried free solutions first but still aren't happy.
>>
If you're too strapped to buy one without a second thought, don't bother. The community doesn't want or need another hungry mouth to spoonfeed, and you certainly wouldn't be a patreon.
>>
>>9271792
Innacuracy.
>>
>>9271792
might as well just play with hacks
>>
>>9271904
500 dollars for “accurate” (imperceptible) lag.
People, the cope speaks for itself here, mistershitters are mentally ill.
>>9271906
Yes, run-ahead is like modifying the game into a completely different game.

I absolutely without question guarantee either of you couldn’t tell the difference between a standard emulation, a run ahead emulation, and a mister emulation in a blind test. You are all sick in the head.

I would usually assume something this stupid is bait but you fags never cease to amaze me.
>>
>>9271924
>cope
>>
>>9271924
>still blabbing about the mythical $500
no point arguing with retards
>>
File: nano.png (38 KB, 562x216)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>9271924
A DE-10 nano costs $215, where are you getting this $500 from are you gay?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTS04rVOn
>>
>>9271937
Probably the two other boards and ram with recommended with it
>>
>>9271941
Oh you mean the optional components that aren't so difficult to make yourself? I don't think they cost $300 and besides the RAM are entirely optional.
>>
>>9271951
Hook just that board up to your CRT and play ridge racer and take a video of you doing it.
Come on, show everyone it’s only 200 dollars.
>>
>>9271951
Come on mate, do you honestly think people are building boards for themselves?
And no the ram isn’t optional if you want to play all the systems available
It will amount to about 200 and the extra is probably the case
That’s most likely where the 500 comes from
>>
>>9271953
Oh moving the goalposts? Like I said you can make an analog board or get a directvideo which doesn't need an analog board. Or just not use a CRT which is entirely optional.
>>
>>9271960
Moving the goalposts? You just told everyone mister costs 215 dollars.
Okay, so hook that board up to your CRT and start a game of ridge racer because mister is only 215 dollars.
That is literally what you said.
>>
>>9271957
I still don't see how it costs $300 for a couple of chingchong boards from ebay. The RAM is all you really need.
>>
>>9271962
Have a cry gayboy you'll feel better. Runahead now.
>>
>>9271968
You just lied, got caught lying, and now you look like a gay (duck sucking while blowing a cumfart) lying asshole lol.
Mistersisters are pathological liars and delusional.
>>
Why can't poorfags just let us discuss hardware we own and are happy with in peace?
>>
>>9271957
ram modules are $50 on ebay, so that's $210 + $50, are you retarded?
>>
>>9271969
Ok jew.
>>
>>9271972
I don’t understand why you are trying to be antagonistic
It’s an expensive bit of kit for what it is, but it does it well
I don’t think anyone is getting it without the usb hub or analog IO
>>
>>9271980
>I don’t understand why you are trying to be antagonistic
i dont understand why you faggots are retarded and keep claiming the device is $500 and expensive when it isn't, but here we are
>>
>>9271981
I’m just telling you where the number comes from man, settle down
>>
>>9271975
Classic Jew move to accuse their opponents of what they are. Oven for you.
>>9271984
Don’t try to reason with a mistersister, they are hopped up on HRT and adderall.
>>
>>9271980
I used a DE10 with only 32MB RAM and cheap OTG hub for a year, only upgraded to 128MB to play NEOGEO but glad I did as PSX needs it.
>>
>>9271986
But you called me a jew therefore you are a jew.
>>
>>9271986
post hands
>>
it pretty much replaces real hardware from anything before n64 which is pretty sweet. can easily use it with a crt and modern hdtv too, even both at the same time if you have a need for that. really cool little device. not sure why /vr/ shits on it so much
>>
>>9272008
>not sure why /vr/ shits on it so much
/vr/ is full of poor south americans that think emulation is just as good as the real thing rather than a supplement of it
>>
>>9272010
Mister is not the real thing, mister is emulation. The real thing is original hardware and that’s it.
People who think mister is the real thing also believe they are women lol.
>>
>>9272013
That still doesn't change anything I said, it's just poorfags.
>>
>>9272013
>Mister is not the real thing
genuinely close enough
>>
>>9272008
Did we factor in the crazy tax hu monkeys pay on imported tech in our mystical $600 figure. The Mister is really over 1k for Brazilians now that I think abput it.
>>
>>9272008
See, these sort of comments is why people shit on it
>>
>>9272021
it does though, i cant tell the difference between my real snes and my mister when i use it, if i play on retroarch or bizhawk i can tell a significant difference because of windows
>>
>>9271772
>No self awareness from mistersisters. Nobody talks about a pi being gods gift to computing, but every mistersister acts like the mister is the greatest thing that has ever happened to video games when it’s just another emulation box.

Are you new to the internet? Everybody and their fucking grandmother would not shut the fuck up about the Pi when the NES and SNES Mini were a thing. Even in this very thread Pitards cannot shut the fuck up. I have never seen people going to a random thread and boasting about the MiSTer, but I see people being unable to shut the fuck up about using the Pi for emulation everywhere online.

The only reason the Pi is even brought up in this thread is because the Pitards cannot control their oral diarrhea even here.

You would think people would know to ignore those retards by now.
>>
>>9272021
>NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST SAY IT'S CLOSE TO THE REAL THING IN A MISTER THREAD, I MUST STOP YOU
kys
>>
>>9272016
So are most things
>>
>>9272024
Number one, you missed a pun: piarrhea.
Number two (get it lol) yes, I too remember when nobody could shut up about pi but it’s true, people were paying absurd prices for nes/snes minis that were 20 times shittier than pi.
Number 3:
>I have never seen people going to a random thread and boasting about the MiSTer
Holy shit guy, you must be new here. There is one juicehead wannabe gigaultraturboautist here (haven’t seen him in a while though) that goes into threads and posts the same exact picture of his dumb mister with something like “who else is playing on the greatest thing that’s ever existed”. I’m barely exaggerating, he is really like this.
>>
>>9272025
>YOU CAN'T JUST SAY IT'S CLOSE TO THE REAL THING
No, he said replaces
>>
>>9272039
So he's saying it replaces it for him. get a job
>>
>>9266212
It's still emulation. Unless you own an original console, it's emulation.
>muh accuracy
Some consoles perform differently to others with different models. This has been proven to affect RNG in games by the speedrunning community. Just use a free emulator.
>>
>>9272020
Not a single person claimed it was 600 dollars. An anon earlier in the thread did the math and came to the conclusion that in the current market the cheapest you can build a mister for is roughly 400 dollars. You inflated the number to make genuine criticism of it’s high-for-it’s-function price seem absurd because you live in the cope realm in the “mythical” 10th circle of hell you hooknosed rat liar.
>>
>>9272040
A pi replaces a mister for me.
Have sex.
>>
>>9272047
>A pi replaces a mister for me.
you have to own something for it to be replaced poorfag
>>
>>9272041
>It's still emulation.
why does this retarded take get constantly reposted in these thread
>>
>>9272045
$400 was made including the USB add-on and VGA add-on both the average person doesnt even need, it's $210 + $50~ for 128MB memory module

everything else is completely optional, you dont need a case I ran mine without one for 2 years

all you need is a USB otg cable and any $10 usb external powered hub, most people aren't playing on crt's so the IO board is completely unneccesary
>>
>>9272049
I guess your right hand can’t replace your girlfriend then huh?
>>9272051
Lol you can’t afford a case and more ram poorfag? Why do we let poorfags like you into our discussions?
>>
>>9272040
>get a job
At what point did you think that has any relevance to my post
>>
>>9272056
>At what point did you think that has any relevance to my post
the fact you're in every one of these threads spouting the same bullshit as if you're paid, but you're not, much like jannies, you do it for free

>Lol you can’t afford a case and more ram poorfag? Why do we let poorfags like you into our discussions?
illiterate monnkey
>>
all I can gather from this thread is that any form of emulation carries with it the most cancerous of users in which you can’t discuss without shitting on other methods
>>
>>9272058
Do I have to state “Im not that anon” if I post to you?
What a shit thread
>>
>>9272058
You are so fucking dumb you don’t realize you’re speaking with two anons.
You are also a gigantic hypocrite and very very bad at discourse.
You’ve lied multiple times, you’ve exaggerated valid criticisms multiple times, and you’ve generally seethed and coped yourself into a corner. Give up. Enjoy your memester mr hobbyist gamer pro, it’s the best thing ever made and it’s 215 dollars.
>>
>>9272045
$600 what the hell do you need $700 for.
>>
>>9272058
>illiterate monnkey
Witness the mistersister completely disintegrate into dust.
>>
If you're just into bingbingwahoos on your nindento emulator then mister isn't for you carry on with your life.
>>
>>9272054
Resorting to ad hominem is very sad
>>
>>9272065
>thinks it's only one anon
ngmi
>>
>>9272065
that's a whole lot of words to say nothing, you didn't even refute shit just, words words words
>>
>>9266212
Just emulate on the PC & save your money. The MiSTer is worthless.
>>
>>9272213
Jewish hands typed this.
>>
>>9272016
>I’m a real woman!!! Genuinely close enough!!!
>>
>>9266381
Don't act like you didn't spend ~$1500 on a pc that you use for games that came out before 2010 and emulation
>>
File: 2ec.png (208 KB, 327x316)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
Don't you retards understand that MiSTer FPGA benefits software emulation as much as software emulation has benefited FPGA emulation? MiSTer FPGA is a godsend to retro gaming because it provides a closer reference to how games behave regarding input delay and cycle accuracy. OG hardware supply is only gonna go down and clone consoles aren't anywhere close to supporting the majority of the respective library. Software emulators are nice and all, but I only use them on my tablet when on a trip and wanna play something casual. If I want an optimized retro gaming setup for practicing high scores, I walk over to my MiSTer and load up the game of the week. I don't understand why people are being smooth brained and fighting over solutions available to everybody. Having a MiSTer is not a rite of passage to anything, it's just an enthusiast level solution for people who need the peace of mind that the game will play how it should without using under-the-hood hacks. Software emulation is perfectly fine too if you need an immediate solution or game enhancing features not possible on OG hardware.
>>
>>9272940
the most based post in this tghread
>>
>>9272850
doubling down I see, impressive.
>>
>>9272051
Why would you not just emulate if you are going to use hdmi? Mister is the best solution for plug and play on a crt currently. Sure it isn't required, but if your use case is to play on a crt, it definitely is. If you use case is not this, why wouldn't you emulate if you have a pc able to?
>>
>>9273041
Jewish hands typed this.
>>
>>9273256
because not everyone has a PC in the living room/bedroom or wants to sit at a desk when they game, are you daft?
>>
>>9273437
Sounds like a steam deck is a great solution to this. Also what kind of people have desktop pcs that aren't in proximity to a TV? Do they literally only play with a monitor when pc is very flexible for all types of control styles and video outs? Odd to me, and I can't imagine this happens unless you have a dedicated office
>>
>>9273445
This is at least much less common than just using a crt if you are on this board, anyway.
>>
So from what I'm reading the mister is pretty much the best option for 5th gen and earlier besides the original systems. Though it's only worth it if you're an enthusiast. I was planning on getting systems and flashcarts, but overall this seems like a nice cheaper option.
>>
>>9273597
I have systems and flashcarts and I just use the mister because I got sick of dealing with wire jungles. Having everything in a small package, not having to drag out controllers and hookups and find the flashcart is just great. Also being able to play GBA on the coach on a big tv is a plus.
>>
>>9271953
>Hook just that board up to your CRT and play ridge racer
Not sure about the second part, but for the first part you just use an old HDMI-to_VGA converter like pic related. New ones normally don't work though.
>>
>>9273625
You cannot get 240p out of those chink converters.
>>
>>9271639
Find someone locally who will 3D Print a case for you off of thingiverse for cheap. I recommend the Viperman3 v2 case
>>
>>9273648
>You cannot get 240p out of those chink converters.
Ok, given you can, in fact, get 240p out a lot of them - what are you really trying to say, there? They convert signal type, not resolution. You put 240p into them, using c-sync ideally.

Most of the ones like the picture that are about 5+ yrs old will then spit out 240p RGBS just fine, maybe 60-70% of them, at a guess. You want Audio too, of course. I've had my hands on more than ten working ones and passed most along.

The cheapest new ones you buy don't work. For one, they no longer use the AG6200 chip the old ones were based on. I'm guessing some of the brand names ones still do tho, like ugreen, belkin, comsol, etc. but haven't tested.
>>
File: chesskid.jpg (42 KB, 387x417)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Every mister thread.
>>
>>9273698
Sorry, i should also have pointed out that this is the whole point of using the MiSTer's Direct Video option. The cores spit the native 240p out the HDMI port, and the converter shifts that to RGBS, without changing resolution or timings. There's no framebuffer in these cheap converters, so effectively no lag, and because they were designed to work fast enough for higher resolutions 240p comes out really clean.
>>
>>9273707
every 4chan thread ever
>>
>>9273698
I have multiple of these and have never successfully been able to output 240p resolution to a CRT television VGA - Component. It always always always outputs 480.
>>
The dongle picture above works as described for 1:1 signal conversion, with the described caveats. They often do work for 240p

>>9273895
>I have multiple of these and have never successfully been able to output 240p resolution to a CRT television VGA - Component. It always always always outputs 480.
You mean you're going from HDI-to-VGA with the dongle pictured above, then VGA-to-Component with another device, which always spits out 480i? I'm surprised such a device would even take 240p VGA or RGBS as an input...

Or did you mean you're doing from HDMI straight to component, without setting the Direct Video option on the MiSTer? In which case you are downscaling, not converting 1:1, and those cheap converters never output anything besides 480i at SD.

Or am i not getting what you're trying to say?
>>
>>9266212
Don't spend your money acquiring silly playthings. Instead, invest your money and, in time, the miracle of compound interest will make you a rich man.
>>
>>9273935
The average age on this board is at least 30 and not everyone is a poor teenager. Calling devices that play videogames silly playthings makes on a videogame board shows serious self loathing.
>>
>>9273943
The problem here wasn't the joke, it was you failing to get it.
>>
I read this entire thread in bemused disbelief

I guarantee every single one of you idiots would fail a controlled double blind test to distinguish between a game running on your "it's not an emulation box" emulation box, and a game running on my cheap android phone

You are like those chumps that buy $250 gold shielded audio cables to "reduce electromagnetic interference even after it's been proven over and over again the human ear can't tell the difference
>>
>>9274129
I could immediately pass that test by just plugging a controller into each and making Mario jump at the same time. Android phone is going to have more input lag.

You could have said retroarch with 1 frame of run ahead and hard GPU sync on a powerful PC and actually had an argument, but its clear you have no clue what youre talking about.
>>
OP here watching this retarded schizo have a meltdown for several days made me decide to pull the plug and buy a MiSTer.

Thank you schizo, I have joined the SiSTer nation.
>>
>>9274170
True that what tipped me to get a mister was I bought a Megadrive mini and was enjoying games on it but feeling for some reason I sucked. I realized that it was lagging just a tiny amount, so I bought a mister and noticed it straight away. Games just feel better.
>>
>>9271461
>Define heavily subsidized, do they make these devices at a loss or razor thin margins?

Intel subsidized it for education and they are not happy about retro game enthusiasts eating up the supply.

The price of the board did go up but Intel has vested interest in keeping it affordable for education, its still way cheaper than any other FPGA board which typically cost upward of $500
>>
>>9274172
Nice try troll. I'm the real OP here & I don't ever plan on buying the MiSTer.
>>
>>9274463
No, I am Opartacus
>>
>>9274463
You really think you did something there, troll. I'm the real OP and I actually set this thread to vibrate my phone when new posts come in and then shoved the phone up my ass. Ive cum from the prostate stimulation 14 times now. Thanks everyone for participating.
>>
>>9267067
Normal PC hardware has a deal breaking issue. The audio and video output is un-synchronized. Emulation requires perfect audio/video sync, the work around for this causes excessive audio latency and other issues.
>>
>>9274801
I refuse to believe anyone thinks that this is still an issue in emulation
>>
>>9274809
Then you're retarded and ignorant
>>
>>9274809
I personally consider it to the most major issue, and the main reason why I would use a Mister. I don't care much about fpga accuracy, I am quite happy with the accuracy of software emulation, its the pc hardware which is the issue. I would be quite happy just using fpga for gpu sound and input, and running software emulation on the arm core in scanline lock-step.
>>
>>9274178
>its still way cheaper than any other FPGA board which typically cost upward of $500
try upward of $25k
>>
>>9272940
Imagine getting this angry at people who prefer OG hardware over using an emulation box. LOL Who are you trying to sell this to? Poorfags who can't afford multiple consoles, HDMI converters & a CRT TV set?
>>
>>9266212
>Talk me into/out of buying this
if you don't like it in the end you can just sell it to another chump with little to no loss of money
>>
>>9275158
/vr/ continues to prove how retarded it is by constantly mocking an open source project as something being marketed to the heavily trafficked retro board on an asian basket weaving forum
>>
>>9275175
Nah, the retarded are the ones getting triggered by anything negative being said about the MiSTer.
>>
>>9275190
no it's definitely retards calling an open source project a shilling operation, that's the epitomy of stupid
>>
>>9275190
Hope you realize that abusing blanket statements are a sign of mental issues.
>>
>>9275158
Why would you need "HDMI converters" for if you would use a CRT?
>>
>>9274809
Audio cannot be delivered on the exact same frame as video in software emulation
>>
>>9274809
It is a fact that consumer PC hardware is not deterministic and can never emulate the sychronous accuracy of original platforms. FPGA is deterministic and can be perfectly accurate. In some cases it is there and absolutely indistinguishable.
>>
>>9275158
>prefer OG hardware over emulation box
>uses everdrives (FPGA) with OSSC (FPGA) with HDMI/RGB mods (usually FPGA)
MiSTer saves you money. Everyone who is anti-MiSTer is clearly afraid of their cash cow drying up. Gotta give credit to Analogue at least for making their handheld a portable MiSTer option.
>>
>>9275253
False, it is a shilling project and you MiSTards got caught redhanded.

>>9275380
False. Getting triggered by negative reactions to the MiSTer is a sign of mental illness.

>>9275383
Because not all games I own are based on light guns. So playing games on my HDTV is a bonus. Also I own both a CRT TV & an HDTV.
>>
>>9276352
False. The MiSTer is a waste of money & holds no real value. OG hardware & physical games has value, the value of my games have gotten so high, I could sell all of it & earn lots of money. But with the kind of money I'm making, I don't need to sell any of it. But my kids will definitely sell it when I pass away & it will be their money. Physical video games & OG hardware are worth the investment, the MiSTer is not.
>>
>>9267301
>which is pretty much 1:1
If its not the exact same I don't want it
>>
>>9276440
wrong. the highest value it will hold is now. it will only depreciate in value as idiots like you die off from old age. Kids don't care about retro games. Look at Atari games. Nobody gives a shit. NES is already going down in value.
>>
>>9276642
Why would I care if it drops in value after I'm already dead? Checkmate.
>>
>>9276440
>bingbing wahoos

Friend, you are in the wrong thread.
>>
>>9276670
> But my kids will definitely sell it when I pass away & it will be their money.

Your kids will own nothing and eat bugs
>>
>>9276642
Keep lying to yourself, while game prices for old games are high on eBay. Especially rare games. LOL

>>9276689
Nah, I'm just here to trigger MiSTer shills.
>>
>>9276642
the cope is off the charts. no one ever cared about Atari and you know it, the fact you're even trying to use it as an example is embarrassing. Retro games are literally never coming down in price ever again, unless the actual apocalypse comes. your emulation cuck box is perfect for bugmen who are already getting trained to own nothing. emulate the experience instead of having it and be happy, you retarded faggot.
>>
>>9277783
they will come down and it will happen when the people who grew up playing them all die off
>>
>>9278134
Keep dreaming shill.
>>
>>9276440
>Hobbies are about how much they are worth to people on ebay
Weird take
>>
>>9278373
You obviously never sold video games on Ebay. LOL Otherwise you wouldn't be complaining. Hardcore collectors buy games on eBay all the time, I sold a copy of King's Quest for the Sega Master System for $80 back in 2018.
>>
>>9278385
Nice man, $80. That's a lot.
>>
>>9266212
>into
I guess it's more accurate than software emulation?
>out of
You can literally play all of the same games and more with a $15 streaming stick from Walmart, or just the TV itself if you already have an Android TV or Fire TV of some sort (built in, stick, box, etc). Just grab some 8bitdo controllers or something and you're set
>>
>>9278405
>a $15 streaming stick from Walmart
Im sorry that you are poor.
>>
>>9278468
Playing retro on the Walmart stick is honestly based. If you’re going to play retro on a flat panel like a nigger anyways, then he’s right, might as well use the cheapest possible thing and save your money.
>>
>>9278401
Yeah & I got that game for free before I sold it.
>>
>>9278506
>Playing retro on the Walmart stick is honestly based.
It's not. Playing on real hardware with a flashcart on a CRT of your choice is based. Playing shitty emulators over hdmi is pretty cucked.
>>
>>9278543
Reread my comment you stupid fuck.
>>
still have no clue why anyone would use one of these unless they're using a CRT. and even then, it'd take more work to set up initially but there's definitely ways to just have a small PC hooked up to a 15khz CRT and then you have access to virtually anything that has been emulated whatsoever, no waiting around to see if maybe another system gets added or w/e, and it seems like it's pretty much tapped out after PSX in terms of what's possible on this platform anyways.
>>
>>9278551
CRTs are free anon. I read that they're getting rid of them in schools across the country.
>>
>>9267043
Nobody plays 4000+ video games and it's ridiculous to act like you've played every single rom in existence.

I play one retro game exclusively on my xbox 360. I'm happy with it and don't care that it has a massive library of other games.
>>
>>9279514
>I play one retro game exclusively on my xbox 360
These are the people mocking your set up on /vr/
>>
>>9279514
What the fuck are you doing here if youve played ONE retro game?
>>
>>9279557
I'm pretty good at it. Better than being garbage at everything else
>>
Raspberry Pi's are selling for more than I paid for my MiSTer 3 years ago. I'm not even going to mention the price of one flash cart. Everything else is just poorfag FOMO & FUD.
>>
>>9279675
Everything is more expensive than it was 3 years ago.
>>
>>9279690
Which makes the price of a MiSTer today a stone cold Not My Problem.
>>
>>9279675
Really?
I paid normal price late last year for one
>>
>>9279050
How fucking stupid are you? Do you read or just glance and post?
If I called using a flat panel nigger tier, why the fuck wouldn’t I own a crt?
>>
How much better is PS1 dual ram core compared to standard one?
>>
>>9280213
As far as I know the only difference is some insignificant audio timing differences in a small handful of situations across the whole library. I believe there's specific documentation on it somewhere if you check the devs GitHub
>>
>>9280213
From what I heard it basically brings audio accuracy from 99.99% to 100% in some games.

Currently it's Saturn that only shows any real benefit from Dual-RAM, but that core is still barely in the alpha stages right now.

Also keep in mind it's not really using the increased capacity so much as it's using the increased bandwidth of splitting the RAM across two buses instead of one, kind of like dual channel.
>>
>>9279712
t.Poorfag cope
>>
>>9280213
Imperceptible and I mean truly imperceptible audio timing differences. At this point dual ram is incredibly unnecessary and not recommended. It remains to be seen how the saturn core shakes out, but save your money.
>>
>>9280709
Really I would say the bigger issue with going dual-RAM is not the cost, especially since you can use a smaller module for the second RAM, but the fact that it takes up the pins that are used for the analog output boards if you wanted to connect it to a CRT.
>>
>>9280716
One of the guys that makes mister addon boards is currently working on a solution to that buy taking digital signal converting it to analog, but you lose out on dual output.
>>
>>9280804
So it's basically just taking the current digital board and tossing a HDMI to Analog converter on it? Wouldn't that be lower quality than the normal analog board? And can't just anyone do that with a HDMI to Analog converter?

Also, I never thought about it but, what use is there for dual analog output? I can see wanting dual-outputs if you are streaming, but then wouldn't the best setup for that be to be playing on the CRT yourself if you care about that sort of thing while having the video for the video/stream be captured off of the HDMI?
>>
File: metroid fusion.webm (169 KB, 600x338)
169 KB
169 KB WEBM
>>9269382
This is not configured properly. RetroArch with run-ahead set to remove dead frames is always less than next frame response average (<16ms), and I know this because I have tested literally every single core with slow-motion 240fps recording.

Run-ahead should be set to remove dead frames (the frames after pressing a button before any animation occurs), or you can basically just leave it at 1 because most retro games have 1-2 dead frames.
>>
>>9280836
No the mister moves electrons through reality and and and…you’re just a poorfag!!!
>>
>>9280824
No. The mister natively supports it already and it's spot on. The biggest issue is it was impossible to get s video or component without making your own wires. This will allow you to have more options.
>>
>>9280883
Can you get composite?
>>
>>9280886
Yes, but you'll need to go from vga to an adapter. Honestly, until the new digital + analog board is complete, I'd just get a 40 dollar analog io and plug an adapter into it.
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/
>>
>>9270125
MiSTer FPGA is FPGA-based emulation, but instead it's recreating the hardware functions directly on the FPGA without a middle-man which software emulators rely on.
>>
>>9280905
I currently use this adapter and the S-Video is the best thing about it. Composite is very hit or miss depending on the core. Sega Genesis has the worst composite rainbow artifacts you'll ever see but SNES and PC-Engine have great composite output by comparison.
>>
>>9281036
I use component with the in game composite option in the genesis core, and it looks surprisingly nice. Not sure how accurate it is, but water blends, but things are still pretty clear.
>>
>>9281084
Yeah this is what the blending was meant to alleviate for players with very sharp image displays. I was previously using my PC CRT which has ultra sharp pixels and as annoyed where some background stuff like the waterfall looked like fences. I've since bought the antonio villena adapter and haven't looked back.
>>
>>9269382
emulatards uterly BTFO
>>
>>9281297
See >>9280836

The video is a crock of shit
>>
>>9269909
>this test found that bsnes has the same input lag as original hardware without any runahead, and that runahead resulted in less lag than original hardware.
that's exactly my experience as well
>>
>>9281323
>>9282162
emufags mad

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.