[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: maxresdefault.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
Why do the textures and some assets just NOT fit with the Mario universe aesthetic?

It was like they were just grabbing assets from the 3D development software default presets instead of making textures that would specifically fit Mario. The goomba/koopa/bowser models are pretty good and so is lakiu, but jesus christ the environment textures are awful.

Like seriously I hate to be that guy but maybe zoomers think it's a creepy game because some of the textures are too detailed for a Mario game.
>>
>>9151627
>The environment textures are awful
They are stock 3D textures anon
>>
>>9151627
Because the 'Mario Aesthetic' wasn't a link until New Super Mario Bros.
Mario's artstyle and aesthetic varied wildly between Mario 1/2JP, 3, World, 64 and Sunshine.
>>
>>9151627
Try playing more 5th gen games
>>
>>9151649
Thing, not link.
Dunno why the fuck I typed that.
>>
File: evo_chars_all1.jpg (437 KB, 1600x1250)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>9151627
>NOT fit with the Mario universe aesthetic
how soulless are you?
every mario game before this had a different style
>>
>>9151653

given we are talking about a 26 year old game its probably some minor effect of age.
>>
>>9151660
/thread

>>9151627
There's the answer to your question, faggot OP
>>
>why doesn't this Mario game fit the aesthetic I decided it had? I know waaaay better than the Mario creators
Moron
>>
>>9151660
>not including Mario 2
Fail.
>>
File: download.jpg (20 KB, 336x150)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>9151660
This picture conveniently leaves out the aesthetics of the clouds. Like the clouds having eyes, or how the bricks in whomps fortress don't look like the bricks in 1/2.

Pic related is Marios aesthetic PERIOD! Yōichi Kotabe.
>>
>>9151706
>hokey pokey tranny
not a mario game
>>
>>9151750
>was released as a Mario game in USA and Japan
>was included in collection of Mario games on SNES in USA and Japan
>Was released as a Mario game on GBA in USA and Japan
>Was developed by Mario's creator and the developers behind the Mario games
>Mechanics and characters from the game are still present in Mario games even to this day
>You: "not a mario game"
Sure anon, whatever you say.
>>
A bunch of them were literally just stock images taken from libraries. It was a very early attempt at a 3D game for Nintendo, so they were winging it a bit. I like that about it though. You can make a thing too polished.
>>
>>9151627
Because it was the first time mario was in 3d and nintendo wanted to experiment
>>
>>9151750
Remember that time Miyamoto said it was his alltime favorite Mario game?
>>
>>9151627
You know Sonic Adventure?
Why do the textures and some assets just NOT fit with the Sonic universe aesthetic?
Where the fuck are the totem poles, dancing mechanical flowers, gigantic mushrooms? Did these retards even KNOW they were making a Sonic game???
>>
>>9151627
they were literally doing that, most textures were just taken from asset CDs and cut or altered slightly and slapped into the game, they probably wanted a more realistic 3D look but it came off weird
>>
>>9151653
Mario, Thing, the list goes on
>>
>>9151627
>It was like they were just grabbing assets from the 3D development software default presets
Oh no, it's a retarded millennoomer that doesn't know SM64 history.
>>
>>9151627
>Why do the textures and some assets just NOT fit with the Mario universe aesthetic?
They literally bought a texture CD and used the textures from that.
No joke.
>>
>>9151649
>Sunshine
This is where they really just said "fuck it" we'll do what we want.
Literally nothing about Delfino feels at home in a mario game. It's almost as if they originally designed the game for a different character to live in.
>>
>>9152519
>>9151627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCN0Yx2Vbs
>>
File: aesth.jpg (159 KB, 982x640)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>9151627
looks fucking impressively evocative of it actually
>>
>>9152526
the whole story starts with him going on vacation
>>
File: 1659795906018.png (249 KB, 750x650)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>9151660
To be fair, early Mario sequels made it a point to NOT take place in the boring Mushroom Kingdom: SMB3 was in the Mushroom World, SMW was Dinosaur Land, SM64 was the castle paintings/walls, SMS was Isle Delfino, etc. Even the Mario RPGs used to pretty much go beyond the Mushroom Kingdom. People like to retroactively pretend that only the Game Boy Land games had Mario visit different locales, but that's far from true. Mushroom Kingdom was basically just Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels, and all New Super Mario Bros. intended to do was establish the modern Mushroom Kingdom aesthetic. Granted, Mario still explores different places in the non-NSMB mainline (and it's telling that the only non-SMB game included in the pic is SM64), but hard-mandate retardation prevents the style was veering off too much now.
>>
Since when did Mario have a cohesive aesthetic? Besides, I think they add to the surreal nature of the game.
>>
>>9151660
Lol, nice joke picture there, skips over every 3D Mario
>>
>>9151627
Have you tried not playing it upscaled and playing it 240p?
>>
>>9152561
It looks ugly, this game is pretty rough. Mario animation is visually the most pleasant thing in the game
>>
>>9151706
none of those enemies are in doki doki mario, you nitwit
>>
>>>/vm/674143
>>
>>9154039
I do this for PS1 games, I suppose I should do it for N64 as well
>>
>>9156675
Different anon here but you really should. They just look a little better at the original resolution, or at least something close to it. 480i is even kinda pushing it with some games.
>>
>>9151627
You know, maybe I'm too much of an aesthetics fag but I've always found SM64's mismatched assets unusually offputting, in fact I can't think of any classic game with a more inconsistent look. It's also extra weird given its scope and performance are so impressive for when it came out, as if Nintendo pulled a Sega, much better grasp of the technical side of graphics, as opposed to the artistic one
>>
Nearly every N64 games looks like shit.
>>
>>9151660
Which do you prefer fellas, Bipedal Koopas or Quadrupedal Koopas?
>>
File: 03-SM64.png (100 KB, 613x238)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
Plays like shit too, but nugamer kids won't admit that because they were brainwashed to fuck by Nintendo.
>>
>>9151627
>It was like they were just grabbing assets from the 3D development software default presets
This is literally, exactly what happened.
>>
Because Mario 64 is a glorified tech demo than a real Mario game
>>
>>9151660
NSMB isn't mainline
>>
>>9157758
Stop spamming that massive, projecting faggot's review.
>Halo 1 is overrated
>But Halo 2? *Chef's kiss*
>>
>>9151627
>>9152526
That's unironically what makes it appealing in my POV, I know that's an unpopular opinion but I honestly didn't lose interest in Mario titles until Nintendo started enforcing STRICT uniformity in the art direction, after Sunshine.
Sunshine has lots of game design flaws but its art style and graphics isn't one of them. Virtually every enemy with the same role had a completely new design and I found that refreshing instead of the same old goombas and koopas. If I had to be nitpicky; it may have needed a bit more thematical variety.

Anyway, modern Mario games are just boring in terms of art direction. I know that's more or less the entire point of the franchise; to be as safe as virtually possible to appeal to kids, but boy do I miss the more realistic assets from the pre-NSMB days. SOUL from picrel is something we will never get again from a Mario game.
>>
>>9158040
It's easy (you)s
>>
File: kamesan.png (408 KB, 800x539)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
>>9157657
>I've always found SM64's mismatched assets unusually offputting
I always thought setting the game in various different paintings offset that notion.
>>9157732
Bipedal because for some reason I never saw the original sprites as quadrupedal as a kid, the rear-legs looked like tails to me and Bowser and the Hammer Bros. were already bipedal so it made sense to me that the closest-related footsoldiers would be bipedal. It wasn't until I saw oldschool NES/Famicom artwork that I went "buh?" Also, having them bipedal sets them apart from their Shellcreeper ancestors.
>>
>>9151627
Yeah I was pretty disappointed with Mario 64 at the time it released. Super Mario World looked like an interactive cartoon while SM64 looked somewhere between barren and creepy. Now I appreciate it for its gameplay and don’t really care how it looks.
>>
>>9158271
I'm sure that was part of the reason they did separate worlds, but even between elements from the same levels there's often a discrepancy
>>
>>9152561
That image proves the bricks should've been blue.
>>
>>9151660
What are the last 4?
>>
File: AKLPOPS1.png (159 KB, 639x479)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
They tried to trick people into thinking the N64 was more advanced than it was by pulling from tropes of raytraced 3D graphics, even ones that didn't make sense in a realtime game.
>>
>>9158271
Even the Shellcreepers were bipedal when they hopped out of their shells to flip them back up.
>>
>>9158587
Yeah, but not everyone played the arcade Mario Bros. Most home conversions like the NES version removed those animations.
>>9157732
Bipedal in theory but I'm not a fan of the "Yoshi" shoes. They also removed the "hunch" entirely in favor of making them more upright, and that goes for others like Magikoopa (who you can tell used to wear a shell under its robe). It doesn't really make sense for them to look so flexible when they're basically just above Goombas, plus it's less obvious that they retreat into their shells. My ideal design would exaggerate their hunched-over features to make them appear more rounded and less nimble, kind of like how Hookbill and Kent C. looked.
>>
File: post-bust depression.jpg (72 KB, 640x602)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>9158060
>I honestly didn't lose interest in Mario titles until Nintendo started enforcing STRICT uniformity in the art direction, after Sunshine.
Good post. You described very well what I have been thinking about effectively all Mario games released since the the Wii era very well. There was some infographic on 4chan about that topic as well, how the Mario games changed.
>>
>>9151627
That looks very Mario to me. Bricks, stone floors... reminds me of SMB and SMB2J.
The original SMB had a very industrial aesthetic to it, I guess borrowed from the original Donkey Kong with its construction site and all.
But yeah as others have said, Mario games all have their own aesthetic, at least back in retro times.
>>
>>9151627
The offputting aesthetic is part of the charm and it's unironically what I imagine when I think of Mario's world. Isle Delfino even fits with it, it's similarly mysterious.

Odyssey was not creepy enough
>>
>>9160043
meant to say, as for Galaxy I've played it a million times so i can't shit talk it. it feels like a mario game in a different way
>>
>>9158060
I agree, Sunshine had incredible hand painted textures, shame that they stopped being graphically creative and all the Mario games now look like they were made by suits to appeal to focus groups. The NSMB games are insulting, the way they look, just terrible.
>>
The aesthetic was very bare bones but I see the ugliness of M64 as a product of it being such an early 3d platformer. They had no blueprint on how to do it and without hindsight the level art style of 2d mario doesn't translate naturally to 3d as it's very much blocks over a backdrop. They chose to focus on playability and openness and the art direction took a backseat for most of the game.

Makes sense when you compare something like Crash that took its art direction much more seriously but did so at the cost of total linearity. All of the early 3d platformers that copied the mario 64 formula like spyro and banjo were a massive step up in terms of aesthetics and art direction but they had the luxury of working from an established formula.
>>
>>9151635
So many mid-90s 3D games did this and it’s soulful as fuck
>>
File: 1659822675309713.jpg (280 KB, 1024x1005)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>9158060
>>
>>9157758
64's controls are rock solid. Mario moves like a drunk on ice in Galaxy.
>>
>>9151627
>It was like they were just grabbing assets from the 3D development software default presets instead of making textures that would specifically fit Mario.
that's actually EXACTLY what they did.
>>
File: D7A0TMzWkAUJikP.jpg (2.79 MB, 4096x2483)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>9160570
Odyssey's concept art book just makes me depressed

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.