[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 2391293.jpg (187 KB, 725x1035)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>Game received so poorly people called it the black sheep of the series
>Figure as someone who has liked a lot of zeldas I should probably check it out, expecting a trip through a museum
>Instead it's better in terms of gameplay then basically every zelda I've played since

what the fuck? All of these people play and shit on this game and then they make their own "zeldas" and don't have the super open world exploration? Or the superb combat with insane enemy depth? How has nobody blatantly copied this game more then they have? Is it just some japanese honor thing where we have to shit on Zelda 2 because they didn't receive it well at first
>>
>>9148361
>>Game received so poorly
I wish this meme would stop.
>>
>>9148361
I got this game for my sixth birthday. I don't remember it being all that unpopular.
>>
>>9148361
>All of these people play and shit on this game
No, they don't play it.
>>
>>9148361
>How has nobody blatantly copied this game more then they have?
Check out The Battle For Olympus if you haven't yet.
>>
>>9148361
>Game received so poorly
No, little fella. Just no.
>>
zelda 2 is it good
>>
People who don't like it didn't give it chance. The Zelda series attracts a lot of dumb people, so it's reasonable to assume that most modern people tried it for 5 minutes and gave up. Or didn't play it at all.
>>
>>9148361

now play The Battle of Olympus
>>
>>9148376
It's cryptic as fuck. How did you beat it in the 80s with zero internet?
>>
>>9148361
>super open world exploration
Game is linear as shit, dude.
>>
Zelda II being "bad" is purely an invention of the post-OoT crowd. It was the 8th best selling game on the console and pretty much insured that Zelda was going to be one of Nintendo's big franchises going forwards.
>>
>>9148541
the same way you beat every other game.
talk with your friends, let big bro try, buy a guide book or just try for very long.
>>
>>9148743
Or just try absolutely everything every where.
I've been playing old PC rpgs and I'm 100% convinced that if the first two Zeldas are seen as unfairly cryptic by modern gamers, there's no way in hell they could play anything made before them.
>>
>>9148740
Reminder it outsold half the Zelda games ever made, including Wind Waker.
>>
>>9148361
>first line of the post is objectively a lie
Good thread
>>
All my friends with NES growing up loved it
That’s all I got
>>
>>9148361
This game is the prototype for every single zelda that came afterwards. Anyone should know that already
>>
File: record (1).gif (1.97 MB, 600x450)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>>9148361
> superb combat
seriously...? I never understood why people enjoyed the "combat"
>>
>>9148820
I didn't know Eiji Aonuma posted on /vr/! Wow, a celebrity, here.
>>
>>9148361
Zelda 2 wasn't recieved poorly. In it's time it was well-regarded and very popular, so much it was hard to find thorough it's first year.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4
>>
>>9148820
and here is the reason people dislike it
they are shit at the game
>>
>>Instead it's better in terms of gameplay then basically every zelda I've played since
>le hidden gem!
Your taste is shit and your standards are pitiful
>>
>>9148853
how on earth can you defend that webm
>>
>>9148906
Any game looks like dogshit if the player behind the controller has cerebral palsy
>>
>>9148906
for starters it's a gif
second it just shows how bad whoever made that is so terrible at the game it's embarrassing
>>
>>9148820
Kek
>>
>>9148820
Imagine being this shit and then pretending this would be accepted as a standard experience
>>
>>9148821
That reply makes no sense. The person in that bait gif would struggle just as much with BOTW's combat.
>>
>>9148907
>>9148934
That gif is ancient and you newfags need to lurk more until you learn not to fall for bait.
>>
>>9149035
I didn't fall for the bait of that gif. I fell for the bait of that other idiot making a stupid comment.
I also don't take kindly being called a newfag, so it's pistols at dawn, motherfucker.
>>
>>9148820
nimblest zoomer I've seen in a minute
>>
>>9148907
>>9148934
>still doesn't post how you'd do it better
Literally how can you kill it if all your attacks miss
>>
>>9148740
>Zelda II being "bad" is purely an invention of the post-OoT crowd. I
This
>>
>>9148361
Because nintentoddlers can't handle depth or growth. They need the same 1iq spat back at them every year. There was on autist on here that wouldn't stop posting about tloz, thank god they fucked off. The series died at zelda 2 then it became cringe twink animu shit. Wish they stuck with a western tone.
>>
>>9148361

This game is fun. I want another Zelda game in the same style but with improvements.
>>
>>9148614
To beat one of the dungeons you need the upward thrust which you can only get in the second island of the game, that same dungeon gives you the raft meaning you'd have to grab the raft and leave the dungeon to go the next world and backtrack. It's pretty open
>>
>>9148361
This game is weird. On one side it's far from being the dumpster fire that people claim it to be and is in fact a good game on the other side you have lunatics that say it's the best Zelda.
>>
>>9151103
The raft is in the third palace, which you only need downward thrust to complete. Upward thrust only makes it a little easier.
>>
>>9148740
In 1992 it was unanimously hated by all the gamer kids I knew. Cope more.
>>
>>9148541
Nintendo Poooooooower
>>
>>9148829
>There are two types of game: sports and adventure
>Kid calls levels 'boards'
>Kid calls TV stiff out on being a clueless grown-up
>TV stiff, perhaps in revenge, implies US kids are behind the curve for not knowing about Dragon Quest III, the hot thing in Japan
>Implications of Nintendo holding back carts to create a shortage
>Kid plays 2 hours a day, portrayed as scandalous.
>Venmous hadrian mother hisses and rears at the effect games have on kids minds
>TV host ultimately declares games harmless fun

Good video.
>>
>>9148541
reminder that the devs intentionally made the games cryptic so it would mean two things: can't be beat by one rent, and also you'd need to refer to their magazines or guides
>>
>>9148361
When Zelda 2 came out is was often considered superior to the first game and was considered top-notch until the 2000s and internet rumors took over.
>>
>>9148743
>or just try for very long
This doesn't work with these sort of games. Sonic 2 gave me the same problem due to having zero coins for the last bosses.
>>
Both zelda2 and smb2 are shit, hence smb3 and zelda3 dumping them from canon.
>>
>>9151915
Lost Levels or SMB2 USA?
>>
Ahh it's the daily Zelda 2 contrarian hipster thread where people whine that folks don't like a shitty castlevania game pretending to be a Zelda game!
You're all so special!
>>
>>9151915
But they didn't dump them at all.
>>
>>9151901
Unlimited continues =/= trying for very long. The whole point is that you get better at earlier parts of the game and die less. That way, you have more lives/continues to practice the later parts of the game, eventually being able to beat the game.
>>
>>9150814
stop baiting
>>
>>9148361
>ame received so poorly people called it the black sheep of the series
Literally false.
You are categorically an idiot.
>>
>>9148541
It's literally not. Tell me what's so cryptic about it?
>>
>>9148376
It certainly wasn't it. It's one of the top ten best selling NES games of all time. It dominates every single Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid, Punchout, etc. It beat every Dragon Quest. Only Mario and Tetris really top it. All the nonexistent so-called "hate" for Zelda 2 has ALWAYS been late-state youtube "influencers" trying to win contrarian points with "h-hey remember that old hard games are akshually bad and not fun like my bing bing wahoos?"
>>
>>9151804
>Kid plays 2 hours a day, portrayed as scandalous.
Honestly was a different time. I feel like I played video games a LOT, way more than most. And I still ended up spending most of my day outside riding bikes, so it can't really have been more than ~3 hours a day.

>>9148829
Oh shit, John Stossel? That takes me back.
>>
>>9148361
The game was recieved well and got quite a lot of clones, Getsu Fuma Den, Battle of Olympus, Gargoyle's Quest are the most famous/obvious ones but there are plenty others. For a while, everyone thought the Zelda 2-type was the new hotest shit, because it was.

Besides that, it was the first best-seller mixing action and RPG elements. Arguably ANY action-RPG owes Zelda 2 something.
>>
>>9148820
I know this is a bait gif, but I think the design of the slimes is legitimately amazing. They're extremely easy to beat and require only the tiniest, tiniest bit of focus to kill them and not trip over them like a doofus, but you can spend hours playing Zelda 2, mastering intense combat against darknuts and mace throwers and leaping helmeted skeletons and shit, and then you let your guard down for a fraction of a second and some unsuspecting little slime unpredictably jumps when you thought it wasn't going to and bops you in the shins and you're just like "oh FUCK YOU". It's unironically great.
>>
>>9152221
>and bops you over a ledge and into the lava
ftfy
>>
>>9148829
Based 80s kid using claw grip something your average /vr/ poster will never figure out without scott the woz covering it.
>>
>>9148829
Slightly triggered by the person getting the footage doesn't even know how to run in these games.
>>
>>9152192
Zelda 2 was such a big deal that other games advertised using it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixc-hq7ZO0
>>
>>9152053
I remember reading an interview with Miyamoto back in the day where he said that his kids are only allowed 1 hour of vidya per day. Of course, you can't know whether this really was true, or if he was trying to give an example of guidance. But the 90s were filled with discussions about media consumption, i.e. tv and vidya, and how many hours per day should be the maximum. Seems to have gone out the window once smartphones came and now everyone is drowning in media 24/7
>>
>>9152308
I didn't know anyone who played like that, this kid is a fag.
>>
Zelda II is the first Soulslike game.
>>
>>9152527
>I don't know anyone who played like that
Zoomer mobile phone gamer detected.
>>
>>9153902
I have held this opinion for a long time as well
>>
It was the first strand-like game.
>>
File: big slime.png (6 KB, 400x375)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
I am fascinated by this giant slime enemy that appears once in the whole game for no reason. It's not hard to kill or rewarding of exp. Just 1 weird easy unique enemy right at the very end of the game. I wonder how many people even saw him/her.
>>
>>9154312
I'm pretty sure there's more than one of them in the final palace, but only one of them is on the most direct path to the boss.
>>
>>9154349
That means he used a guide to beat this game
LMAO
>>
>>9154353
I've been playing this game since my sixth birthday, they didn't even have guides back then.
>>
>>9154359
>they didn't even have guides back then.
wut
>>
>>9154361
You had a printed manual that came with the game. Nobody had internet. I don't even know if there were Prima guides yet but I certainly hadn't heard of them yet. There was a single book in the local library that had hints for twenty or thirty different Nintendo games, and the newest one in it was Contra.
>>
>>9154361
>>9154385
Pic related was the book, but the one we had wasn't the one with ten new games added. I don't think it had Super Mario 2.
>>
File: zelda 2 map.gif (157 KB, 3729x1426)
157 KB
157 KB GIF
>>
>>9154385
>>9154398
>>
>>9154415
Oh yeah. Forgot about Nintendo Power, we never had a subscription.
>>
File: zelda II map 2.jpg (475 KB, 1300x1001)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>
>>9154385
earliest prima guides i can remember are n64 but i seem to have vague recollection of them for late snes games like dkc and ff3
>>
>>9152048
>old hard games are akshually bad and not fun like my bing bing wahoos
But old Marios are also really hard
I never fucking beat a single one of them as a kid
>>
>>9151141
>in 1992
Remember; Americans were genuinely believed to be too retarded to figure out fucking Dragon Quest and had to be given a full game guide to beat it. It doesn't surprise me that Zelda II was hated by console brainlets at the time.
>>
>>9148361
This is the best Zelda game
I always state this fact on /vr/ whenever a sub human makes a thread to shit on it
>>
>>9154312
me too, it's really cool, I also always liked the giant skull-bubble thingies although they aren't quite as special as the giant bot (that is what I understand the blue slimes to be called; bits are the red ones)
>>
zelda 2 good? is it? important to think about long long think about
>>
>>9148361
I have wondered if it was just released on a newer console, at least something like the SNES it would have been overall a lot better. Just tighter controls and a better save system would do it.

Just take care of that annoying floatyness that gets you killed over and over again and that would resolve majority of the complaints.
>>
>>9148740
I don't remember it being bad, but it was definitely one of those hard games people played for about an hour then put down. But that was most games on the system. Majority of games had a point where they became really fucking hard and you just stopped. Rygar, Lolo, Adventure Island, they all were really fun until you got an hour or so into it and it became really hard as shit. But everyone kept trying over and over again thinking this time they will get past whatever level.

The games that are most remembered fondly these days are the ones that did not have that hard point that made a lot of people stop playing.
>>
>>9157008
>tighter controls and a better save system
>annoying floatyness
What are you on about?
>>
>>9152053
>>9152504
Honestly games from that era got boring after about an hour. Even if things were going well it was still boring after an hour or so of staring into the tv and I wanted to go outside.
>>
>>9156979
considering the important things :)
>>
>>9154410
>ranch style beans
Always makes me laugh
>>
>>9154410
I will never beat AoL...
>>
It was very popular when I was a kid, but so balls breaking hard that most people vastly prefered the first one over the second since it was much simpler to just pick up and play. It didn't help that games in my country back then were almost all released in english, so you basically had to learn how to at least read english to play RPG or text oriented games so we all relied a lot on our parents or players guides written in our language. My mom is the one who played and finished Zelda 2 when I was a kid. I didn't beat that game on my own until my late twenties. My mom used to draw maps on paper and keep tabs on townsfolk hints by taking notes.
>>
>>9157241
that's the thing if a game is balls breaking hard you just need to rely on somebody who has no balls
>>
>>9148361
I’ve always had a soft spot for it, beat it one summer as a kid using Gamefaqs. Tho I haven’t ever had the itch to revisit it.
>>
>>9154398
My parents bought that book back in the 80's. It was well used enough the cover fell off. I remember the tips for most games being somewhat rudimentry, like SMB's not covering major warp zones.
>>
It was a better Castlevania than Castlevania
>>
>>9157241
Extremly based Mum. I'd listen to hear take on games over all of /vr/.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.