[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: image.jpg (41 KB, 466x340)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I LOVE getting lost and backtracking all day
>>
How the fuck do you get lost with a map specifically designed to show you where you've already explored so you never waste time exploring a cleared area?
>>
>>9138765
this but unironically
>>
>>9138765
Cringe fake retard
>>9138772
Based honest and troo retard
>>
You have to be retarded to get lost in Super Metroid, the level design is very navigable.
>>
Smart kids drew maps on paper, back in the day.
>>
>>9138792
no you don't, it's intended to be a complicated labyrinth, you don't design mirdia with the intention of a breezy straightforward left to right.
>>
>>9138806
Complicated != hard to navigate. And frankly Super Metroid's map isn't that complicated either.
>>
>>9138807
>you got lost in a metroid game wow that never was supposed to happen ha retard
fuck off
>>
>>9138813
tell me where you get lost and I'll tell you why you're stupid.
>>
>>9138797
>>9138813
Super Metroid has an automap in the game. You can't avoid seeing it when changing Samus' suit powers.

I can understand not realizing that single glass tube surrounded by platforms and empty map spaces while being in its own unique area, but you should never be getting lost when you only ever have to go to where the map isn't filled in.
>>
>>9138765
Super metroid is a dungeon crawler survival game
>>
>>9138765
Depending on what you mean by "lost" I may agree with you. Navigating the map is pretty simple, so of you got lost finding your way from point A to point B, that's on you. If you mean you're unsure where to progrrss next, then I have some sympathy as sometimes it isn't immediately clear where you need to go next or even how to get there.
>>
>>9138765
try not being a woman/homosexual
>>
File: 1652560624704.png (106 KB, 3072x672)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
I don't either OP. But you trade in linearity for back-tracking. There's no other way around it. You can't have both. You prefer linearity. Go play linear games.

SM isn't for everyone. The people that don't enjoy backtracking are saner in my eyes. But that's what metroidvanias are all about. The inherent maze, the easy AI that you can just damageboost through after a while, the health upgrades that throw any sense of balance even further down the drain. There's plenty of valid reasons not to play this genre. But there's no reason to convince random strangers on the internet. I like good level-design myself. Good memorable level-design requires linearity, balance etc.
>>
>>9138765
>why do i need to figure out where to go
>why isn't there a waypoint marker to follow
maybe mario is more your speed
>>
>backtracking
Can somebody please explain to me what the fuck this complaint is all about? Like yeah games like Metroid and Resident Evil are designed that way, you are supposed to go back, that's what those games are all about. Did you want an Alien themed platformer or what? No shit, would be cool but it's Metroid. This is like complaining about first person view in FPS games
>>
File: $R2MGJS3.png (800 KB, 722x632)
800 KB
800 KB PNG
>>
I got stuck when i was a kid. I didn't know I was supposed to shoot the wall here to get to Kraid. It was before I had the internet so it wasn't easy to just look up how to do it. I did find out how to do it from somewhere after a while, probably in some magazine or something
>>
Uhhh yes? And?
>>
>>9139117
Just playing this for the first time and I accidentally broke this and I was so surprised. Pure kino.
>>
>>9138913
This is such a stupid way of reasoning. SM has excellent level design. Metroidvania's just require you to be aware of your surroundings at all times to figure out where to return later, and to remember the routes you took to avoid getting lost. It's way more challenging than just sprinting and tapping A at the right time in games that are often way too easy anyway, like SMW. And I say this as a huge Mario fan.
>>
>>9139073
Zoomers want to see something new constantly to receive that sweet quick and easy dopamine rush.
>>
>>9139073
>Yes I know I shouldn't kill richter in SOTN

Dungeon crawlers like sub zero mythologies, sotn, metroid and etc... require you to replay countless times
>>
>avoided playing Super Metroid for years because I hate getting lost in games and everyone online says that the level design is very mazelike and hard to navigate
>finally play it for the first time last summer
>remarkably straightforward, at no point in the entire game did I feel like I just had no idea where to go
I don't know if I got memed or if the average gaymur has an IQ of like 80.
>>
>>9139692
>I don't know if I got memed or if the average gaymur has an IQ of like 80.

Why can't metroid crawl?
>>
>>9139692
>average gaymur has an IQ of like 80.
It's this one. /vr/ metroid threads prove that anyone coming in to shit on any given metroid game are gibbering apes.
>>
>>9139618
It's just something you find out by saying "that looks bombable", and it's not but bombing it reveals the super missile icons on the blocks.
>>
File: 1629857387708.png (400 KB, 744x561)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
Here's a tip for you OP
No need to thank me
>>
>>9140123
In attempting to make a fool out of the OP you've made yourself look a bigger fool. The game defaults to the map when pausing.
>>
>>9139117
>blocks your path
>>
>>9138765
I do too but unironically
>>
>>9138913
So basically you are a tranny
>>
>>9138771
zoomers can’t read maps they can only follow an arrow pointing them towards the next objective
>>
>>9139647
Not me, i like to edge myself, thats why i love slow paced movies and games and thats why i dont mind trying an old nes game for hours until i get it right because the orgasm afterwards is just amazing
>>
File: 1648668678156.gif (192 KB, 600x600)
192 KB
192 KB GIF
>I LOVE bombing every room just to progress
fify
>>
>>9141047
I can't be sure on this, but I believe every time that super metroid requires this, it has a visual hint
>>
>>9141057
most of the time it all looks the same, even the visual hints are all bullshit because there are 5 other cracked floorpieces in the same room that dont do anything
>>
>>9139618
For me it was a best of reel from a videotape in 1996, that I rented from the library it was called the zone if any other mid early millenials remember it...
>>
>>9139117
I've never played Super this far but there was a similar (although optional) tube in Zero Mission and I had no trouble figuring it out as a kid.
Funny thing is I later replayed it as an adult and was completely stumped for a while before remembering the solution.
>>
>>9139675
>Dungeon crawlers
>>
>>9138765
its something else aint it. and no other metroid game realized this.
>>
Do you know why metroid has a gun? Its because they couldn't make the platforming feel right.
>>
>>9141363
what?
>>
>>9139117

Classic childhood stumper.
>>
>>9141087
idk man, i played it the first time a couple years ago, and was only stumped on where to go for maybe a few minutes total. every game isn't made for everyone, but maybe you need to slow down a little and pay more attention?
>>
>>9141892
he's doing that "the title of the game is also the main character's name" thing that faggots were doing both ironically and unironically a few years ago on the internet. and then he's pretending that samus being able to shoot is a band-aid fix for the game's poor platforming. basically, he's pretending to be retarded for engagement, it's likely that you are too.
>>
>>9143267
Would it appease your autism more by saying something like, "do you know why the main character of metroid, 'who's' purpose is to be an object which is intended to give visual feedback to the user when they perform different actions has a gun? Remember to keep in mind that the gun isn't a real gun just as the main character in Metroid isn't a real person."
>>
https://youtu.be/Q9ieYLHc1fQ
>>
File: 1586217564768.gif (2.91 MB, 252x263)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB GIF
>>9143354
Well this is another level of autism, because the intent of Metroid isn't apparently just to be a strict platformer either
>>
>>9141892
This is some dumb bullshit another stupid anon brought up in a Mega man thread. Claiming that game has shitty platforming so they put a gun in there to help compensate for that.
So you know, more stupid shit you see on this site you try to mentally filter out.
>>
>>9138765
You are supposed to read the guide sold with the game.
>>
>>9139639
SMs level design might be excellent. But then if I were to design something and just randomly add green doors, or pink doors, or blue doors which require a color-corresponding key I do not consider that particularly good level design in practice. All I was trying to venture out there was the inherent differences in a game that is designed to be a maze and a game that isn't.

There's nothing inherent to Metroidvanias that 'require you to be aware of your surroundings at all times'. Even so, if you were to know where to go back to, it would still be backtracking an already trodden path with even more health upgrades than before. This part of the non-linearity is in most sense just a waste. I could design a maze like that in my sleep. It's not impressive.
>it's way more challenging than
Non-sequitur.
>like SMW
>and I say this as a huge fan
You clearly aren't a huge fan if you make such retarded claims.

Again I feel like you haven't really addressed any of the points I made. Now I'm going back outside, it's a hot day. Read over my post once more and maychance you can come up with a concrete refutation of something I did actually say.

Also since you claim my reasoning is stupid. Find an actual flaw with it. My logic is flawless. There's absolutely nothing stupid about it.
>>
>>9139117
If you entered Maridia the "intended" way through the entrance near the Wrecked Ship then you'll come across a room with a broken tube that looks just like this one full of enemies that drop nothing but Power Bombs. Pretty easy puzzle desu
>>
File: 1659285207413211.png (185 KB, 430x430)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
Lotta underageb& zoomies in this thread.
>>
get better spatial ability.
>>
>>9139117
>tfw you knew exactly what to do
>>
File: 1612768513519.png (8 KB, 259x195)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>9138765
God, how I love seeing zoomers absolutely btfo'd by /vr/ games. Must hurt to have a game give you a mirror so you can see how retarded you are.
>>
>>9138806
Maridia is a really overblown meme and I hate Metroidfags for perpetuating it.

Maridia is only annoying due to the sand, but it's not actually that complicated at all.
>>
>>9145585
You can avoid the worst of the sand rooms anyway. Nobody's going to miss the spring ball.
>>
>>9138771
the map shows you where you've already been but you need to backtrack so of course you'll go to the same areas many times just to progress from there so the map only helps to some degree. it also doesn't alway show you your exact next thing you have to get to.
>>
>>9146864
>it also doesn't alway show you your exact next thing you have to get to.
And that's a good thing. Too many games these days just have a death grip on your hand and constantly point you exactly where you need to go and tell you exactly what you need to do, it's fucking annoying.
>>
>>9138765
If the act of turning around every now and then bothers you so much, why on Earth would you play an adventure game?
>>
>>9141057
You are correct, nothing required for progress is ever hidden from the player. There is always some intuitive element to guide you. Not possessing the wherewithal to identify these elements is part of the journalist phenotype.
>>
>>
>>9138765
Same
>>
>>9148445
kweh kweh
>>
its better when you are replaying it
>>
>>9148445
that's a ripper
>>
>>9138772
Came here to say this
>>
File: OIP.jpg (9 KB, 474x231)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>9148940
>>
>>9138765
You could have at least poster the first game to make your point slightly less stupid.
>>
File: 1644308436105.jpg (217 KB, 1242x1394)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
I LOVE getting lost and backtracking all day
>>
How does anybody get lost in this game lol
>>
>game about exploration
>wtf is this BACKTRACKING?? What were they THINKING?
>>
>>9138813
Yes, you are a retard. Yes, you should kill yourself. Yes, you're getting dabbed on
>>
>>9138765
But thats not HK anon, this is a good game.
>>
>>9138771
Exactly, this isnt HK.
>>
>>9151991
People constantly complain about waypoints and railroading but their complaints of "backtracking" shows that this is merely a front and cope.
>>
>>9154143
waypoints are objectively bad, the "people" that complain about """backtracking""" are mindbroken zoomers.
>>
>>9138772
this
>>
>>9138765
SM was released over 20 years before Hollow Knight and yet its automap system is better by default.
>>
>>9155435
>a medieval insect with a paper map doesn't have GPS co-ordinates of his exact location
color me surprised

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.