[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Genesis-CDX-Console-Set.jpg (2.92 MB, 5700x2310)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
What is the best SEGA console and why is it the CDX?
>>
>>8907536
The CDX. Compact; great clear, balanced, audio out of both the aux and headphone jack; Heavy and solid with its thick metal plating; plays CDs and carts without any need for clumsy add-ons

I also like the Jap model 1 MD, but in a different way
>>
That actually looks awesome.
>>
File: Neptune[1].jpg (426 KB, 1505x1202)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>Addons were dumb, we admit it. It fractured our userbase, they were expensive and people would rather a new console instead
>So take your pick! CDX or Neptune!
>>
>>8907674
>alright buddy its easy, you can either get a Genesis 3, a CDX, a Neptune, or a Saturn. If you get a saturn you can look forward to the 64x.
>>
>destroy brand recognition(form recognition?) by constantly remodeling the genesis
>destroy brand trust by just dropping things like 32x or sega cd at the drop of a hat
>fuck up so bad with saturn that most americans (one of the largest video game markets) have no idea sega even had a 5th gen console
>even less trust when you just give up on the saturn and dont even bother bringing games to the west

Sega is the dumbest fucking company man and always has been
>>
>>8907696
It's overstated how much the 32X and Sega CD affected the Saturn, simple fact is that Sony was a much larger company than Sega in the mid 90s and could afford to produce the hype required to market a new 3D CD console.
>>
>>8907712
i dont care how it affected the saturn i care how it affected me and my following relationship with sega
>>
>>8907715
You make it sounds like Sega fucked you and then didn't call
>>
>>8907750
Sega utterly raped me.
>>
Its a hidden gem
>>
>>8907712
might have made star wars, knuckles and doom saturn launch games but both ps1 and saturn were piss expensive so 32x isn't even that bad an idea so that people can wait 2 years to afford a saturn. If failed in the market so they stopped selling it, isn't that what people want.

>>8907536
Neptune would have been the best if released. Probably launch Japanese Megadrive is the best overall.

>>8907680
there were rumour of ps1 and saturn addons but its probably impossible.
32X is not that far off from not even needing the genesis, I think it should be possible to do a mod to make the 32X run without the genesis or even run using other systems like master system.
>>
>>8907536
It's actually the Saturn.
>>
File: rwe.png (1.23 MB, 1200x897)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>8908006
Imagine FFSEven exclusive to the 64x...
>>
Make it look like a Sony Walkman CD.

Yes, that will sell our system.
>>
is it just me or is it fucking impossible to find working Sega CDs on the internet?

Literally every one I find is faulty or sold for parts, it's kind of fucking annoying. I don't even mind paying a lot I just can't fucking find one.
>>
>>8908609
me but trying to find a working tg16CD/pcenginecd^2 for anything slightly reasonable
>>
>>8907712
>It's overstated how much the 32X and Sega CD affected the Saturn
obviously not
>simple fact is that Sony was a much larger company than Sega in the mid 90s
Nintendo is still producing consoles, sega isn't. so it is not sonys fault that sega failed
>>
>>8907536
the xeye looks neat too
however the model2 tower of power is my forever-setup
>>
File: ff.png (915 KB, 1200x1093)
915 KB
915 KB PNG
>>8908624
I think pic related is the best for me. Now if only it were possible to actually possess this stuff nowadays especially in reliable working order. and with games to play
>>
File: gen.png (1.24 MB, 900x1200)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>8908624
>>8908629
I have a soft spot for this shit though
>>
>>8908629
I want a model 1 CD because I literally can't fit a model 2 in my TV stand and yeah man it's suffering trying to find a working one.
>>
why was Sega so retarded bros?
literally had the gaming world in the palm of their hands and just let it slip away
>>
>>8908968
Not only did they not understand why the Genesis was succesful, it was also wildly different in how it was succesful between American and Japanese markets which further complicated the petty infighting between SOA and SOJ.
>>
>>8908968
they didnt have the talent(square) to provide what was in vogue and popular for both japan and the west(RPG elements) a lot of the draw of arcades was gone as more companies pulled out, prompting sega to try even harder, but even their best of the 2000s and late 90s isnt really comparable to their earlier arcade titles. arcades demanded shallower more eyecatching experiences as they desperately cloyed for relevance
Basically: Sega didnt have what it took to succeed as the business changed, but also if they did have what it takes then it'd be such a different Sega you probably wouldn't look back so fondly on
>>
File: Kareoke_machine.jpg (1.53 MB, 1929x1372)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>8907536
The first Wondermega is a beautiful machine. I kind of like it more than the CDX.
>>
>>8907536
Sega's two best libraries in one convenient package, from a time before Sega completely lost their marbles. What's not to like, other than the price in the current age?
>>
I had one (also the original, slide out SCD model as well as the top-open SCD model before it). Liked it. Had shit anti-skip, though, if used as a personal stereo.
>>
>>8909321
Is that the same thing as the X-Eye? My brother swore up and down that X-Eye played SMD, MCD, Duo and Hu-cards. I've never seen one IRL and all the references to it online imply otherwise.
>>
>>8909321
These photos never cease to impress me anon

>>8910967
X'Eye is just the western version of Wondermega model 2, but with regular controller ports instead of the infrared receiver, pic related. It's still pretty cool, though. Maybe your friend was thinking of the LaserActive?
>>
>>8911046
>friend
Brother. Like, literal brother. As in we popped out of the same uterus/birth-canal/vagina, in that order.

idk if I know what a LaserActive is. For some reason, it's making me think of CD-I, which we had (it was awful). I'm gonna look it up, though, and get back to you.
>>
>>8911124
>>8911046
Yeah, that must be it. Either he got it wrong or I'm misremembering which device he was talking about. Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>8909321
We get it you're rich.
>>
>>8911210
he'll be here until his heart finally clogs up, just don't give him (you)s.
>>
>>8911210
Buyfag is great due to the poorfag seethe he causes
>>
>>8907712
If I was Sega back then I would've doubled-down on the 32X as a cheap entry into 32-bit gaming and continue supporting it as a budget option. The Saturn would be the premium option for hardcore gamers and launch on its original September release date.

The key is to instill confidence in consumers and retailers, after that is established hardware sales and software support would naturally follow.
>>
>>8911046
>these photos impress me
Amen. Emu fags btfo, again.
>>
>>8907536
>>
>>8910967
It is not. As mentioned, the LaserActive had modules to change out to play the Sega or NEC games. The X'Eye just combines a Genesis and SegaCD just like the CDX.

>>8911046
Thanks, I think the improvement was because I had to switch to a newer phone than the Xperia Play I used to use when I took this pic. Sadly, my current phone is not lasting as long as that one and its camera was already sub-par when it was new.

>>8911210
It is actually the opposite. I wish I were rich/wealthy. I just happen to get the WonderMega back when the PS2 was in full swing, and coupled with how no one likes Sega stuff, it was really cheap at the time. However, the US counterpart I found in an alley. Sega stuff is really not in any demand.
>>
>>8911240
It's not seething when the money goes on the house.
>>
>>8907536
the CDX is compatible with both the 32X and the Power Base Converter.

Sadly it's not compatible with the Mega SD.
>>
don't respond to countertopfaggot
>>
I found a CDX in my grandmas ass
And model 2 Segacd in Tyrone’s thrift pile
No lying on the internet
>>
>>8913112
>he's paying a mortgage
Literally poor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.