[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mm40018329_p0.jpg (558 KB, 2400x2400)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
Judging by the amount of quality retro games released, what in your opinion is the greatest /vr/ series? I think it's hard to compete with Mega Man. But then again they are really easy to make and hard to fuck up. Maybe it's Resident Evil or Zelda then? Or Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy... If you had to choose one franchise to hold this title, what would it be?
>>
Kirby.

Fight me IRL.
>>
>>8907215
Castlevania
>>
>>8907215
easily mario considering he's been the face of video games since the last quarter of the previous century
>>
I will say it once and say it again, Sonic would've been the greatest if Sega didn't fuck up after Adventure 2. To me at least, Sonic did so much better than Mario. I like a few Mario games but I always replay the Sonic trilogy and the adventure games once a year or two.
>>
>>8907498
the only contender for sure especially if sega didnt fuck themselves
>>
>>8907498
I always replay the NES Mario games, 64 and SA1 and 2 but for some reason I don't want to play classic Sonic. I think that's because I've always hated all that chaos emeralds and bonus levels shit. And in my opinion Heroes and the Advance series are good games so they didn't really fuck up after Adventure 2
>>
I tried to play a GBA Megaman and it turned me off immediately so I did the same to it. I don't remember which it was but Megaman should not be isometric.
>>
Resident Evil
>>
>>8907215
Mega Man through the sheer density of its catalogue and high amount of quality games.
>>
>>8907869
Wow
>>
>>8907869
You played Battle Network, of course it's shit. Try Mega Man Zero
>>
>>8908183
I would say EXE btfos zero quite handily.
>>
File: RedStriker.jpg (23 KB, 400x323)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Last time I counted, I have beaten about 50 MM games

Which series can compete with that?
>>
metroid
not too big on fusion but it's still good and i haven't played 2 or prime 2 (or 3) yet, but it's pretty solid all the same
yeah yeah other m shh wii's not retro yet
>>
>>8908195
We're only counting the retro entries though. Prime 3 is good and Other M is somewhat enjoyable though
>>
File: unnamed.gif (32 KB, 305x274)
32 KB
32 KB GIF
>>8908195

Metroid Prime isn't Metroid, just like Super Mario 64 isn't Mario and Ocarina of Time isn't Zelda. They're nothing better than low-res Quake mods.
>>
>>8908226
stop posting this bait
>>
File: Er6IRkVWMAArfj5.jpg (337 KB, 1096x1280)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Mario, no other series comes close since really since most of the spins off are great too.
>>
>>8908195
Metroid's probably the only one I can think of with no major blemishes on its record, at least in the retro period. 1, 2, Super, Fusion ( yeah I know its a step down but still), ZM, and Prime is a great run. Assuming we're counting up to Wii, Prime 2 and 3 are lesser but not bad, and the pinball game is a fun enough novelty to not drag down the series. DK might come close, everything else I can think of has some kind of black mark on its record:
>Mario- a lot of shitty spinoffs like Hotel, Time Machine, Mario is Missing, Pinball, although most of them are ignorable enough
>Sonic- all the shitty spinoffs and failed experiments after the original trilogy+CD
>Castlevania- 2, the gameboy games
>Megaman- not hugely into the series but doesn't it have a massive amount of failed side-series bullshit
>Crash and Spyro- PS2 now counts as retro, plus some ass gameboy games
>>
>>8908249
Wrong image, although Gradius/Salamander/Parodius series is also pretty damn game.
>>
>>8908251
What even is a Sonic spinoff? Are Blast, 3D Blast and Labyrinth spinoffs?
>>
>>8908260
I wouldn't consider them to be, but I think "failed experiments" covers them. And I actually do enjoy 3D Blast and Labyrinth but I recognize that that's not really the prevailing opinion and they're definitely steps down from the main games. By spinoffs I was thinking more of stuff like Chaotix, the Tails solo games, Spinball, the racing stuff and whatnot.
>>
>>8908270
>Chaotix, the Tails solo games
God those are awful. Weirdly enough, I loved Spinball as a kid a lot
>>
>>8907215
In the action platformer arena megaman does win on consistency and amount of good games even if it doesnt reach the peak that others do, it doesnt reach the lows either (for more than 1 game at most) so sure I can agree with that.
>>8907328
Good contender and I personally dont like Kirby games much due to their low speed but kirby hasnt been that prolific and even fans admit dreamland 3 and the first switch game were a borefest, but yeah overall kirby is very solid
>>8907342
Went to shit the moment it left the 16bit era, had some cool games on DS then nothing, I dont care for the metrtoidvanias, too easy.
>>8907487
Unpopular opinion but I think 3D mario games are all terrible with the exception of 64, and its 2D games lost its magic long ago
>>8907498
Sonic is a one trick pony, its an amazing trick to be clear but it has nowhere to go, every 2D game is the same, every 3D game is clunky and cumbersome to play at best. Also it has so many bad games in its history, sega doesnt respect him at all.
>>8908163
RE2 and 4 are amazing, but thats pretty much it
>>8908195
I used to love super metroid but now my taste no longer aligns with it, I wont get into specifics about how stupid 100+ collectible missiles are and other things here but it also went through a ROUGH patch that is not quite over yet, hoping prime 4 is good if it happens at all
>>
>>8908292
>Weirdly enough, I loved Spinball as a kid a lot
I did too, in fact I was actually surprised when I got onto the internet and learned that its considered bad. I might have to consider it a failed experiment in popular consciousness, but never in my heart.
>>
>>8908251
>Megaman- not hugely into the series but doesn't it have a massive amount of failed side-series bullshit
Not really? There is megaman soccer which is shovelware, thats about it.
>>
>>8908326
Gameboy games (yes), the Game Gear game, MM&B sequel on WonderSwan, Xtreme 1 and 2 (yes)
>>
>>8908336
>Gameboy games (yes),
Are great
>the Game Gear game,
Is shit
>MM&B sequel on WonderSwan,
never played
>Xtreme 1 and 2 (yes)
Are great
>>
>>8908326
Fair enough, I don't know dick about Megaman. I know there's some gameboy ports with a bad reputation and I was under the impression there were long gaps of stagnation that mostly get ignored and a bunch ofsubseries that aren't well-liked.
>>
>>8908349
>and a bunch ofsubseries that aren't well-liked
Yeah, Battle Network and Star Force. Most people dislike them but their fans are so obnoxiously loud that you start thinking that these are the most beloved Mega Man games while in reality it's exactly the opposite
>>
>>8908183
Will do.

>>8908179
?
>>
>>8908370
Yeah, BN is only the highest selling MM series after all.
>>
>>8908414
That sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>8908414
Japanese people are obsessed with handheld games (now mobile games) and RPGs
>>
>>8908349
They arent ports, the GB games are cool because you get up to 16 weapons in a single game, they have different level design, enemies and even unique mechanics and characters GB4 and5 are legit better than half the NES titles.
>>8908370
BN is well loved by most I think and I dont think its fans are loud at all but I am one so Im biased, I havent actually discussed BN online in years personally.
>>
>>8908534
Its more like 10 or so weapons which is more than the standard 8 but its not 16.
>>
>>8908349
Only the second GB game is bad due to be outsourced at devs who had no idea how Mega Man worked, 4 and 5 on GB are arguibly the greatest of the 8bit games as a whole, even if monochrome and on a smaller screen
>>
>>8908370
>Source: Anon's ass.
>>
>>8908479
Not him but BN was a massive cashcow, ESPECIALLY in Japan where it was a phenomena so big you get unfortunate posts on 2ch claiming "Rockman didn't become good until EXE", and considered there the only time "Rockman was relevant" (X is unfortunately treated like it was a Super Famicom fad).

There's a reason why BN got a really long running anime, a movie, several manga, a shit ton of toys and the like and Zero got jackshit in spite of that subseries being amazing. The popularity and sales figures of BN were never nothing to sneeze at, no matter how much classic and X fans hated it for not being a sidescroller.
>>
>>8908598
Kind of weird that they gave up on it so fast once StarForce kind of flopped, youd think theyd have tried again.
>>
>>8907215
the most consistent:
zelda

the ones with the best titles:
megaman

the one with most unique style:
resident evil silent hill too but to a lesser extent
>>
>>8908627
Each installment sold less and less drastically after BN4, the hype behind that game there after BN3, was incredible, so it managed to do something not even X7 did: harm the IP as whole. After BN4, not only did BN stop selling and SF sold less so, everything else in the Mega Man series began selling worse.

Masazaku Eguchi actually pushed really hard to release Operate Shooting Star. The reason it has less features than BN5DS is due to, by then, Capcom putting no official support on the actual game development and Eguchi's wallet needing to eat dick in that front. The hope was to prove his superiors that BN/SF was still worth supporting but OSS' sale numbers were extremely abysmal.
>>
>>8907487
>Mario
>last good Mario game was released in the late 80s
>>
>>8908761
>Operate Shooting Star.
Ive yet to play that but I heard it was just a port of BN1 with a 15 minute SF scenario, they didnt modernize anything about BN1 apparently, what were they thinking. And they didnt even localize it.
But my point is that they should had made a BN1 remake by now a proper real one instead of pretending BN never happened refusing to even give it a modern collection, its so weird to me.
>>
>>8908770
>they didnt modernize anything about BN1 apparently, what were they thinking
Wrong, they rebalanced the whole game library of chip codes and added * codes so building a library isn't a clunky mess, added the Escape button from the sequels and even fixed several issues with ElecMan's and IceMan's stages, OSS is very much worth playing.
>>
>>8908818
Well thats nice to know, I already had plans to play it someday.
>>
>>8908627
They didn't give up on Star Force. Mega Man in general sort of just died in 2010, they just stopped making them
>>
Harvest Moon

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.