[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 127 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20220511_210703-01.jpg (2.17 MB, 2673x2750)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
/CRT/ General Thread

>>Non-Gaming Edition

Bonus points for discussion around CRT's that aren't specially involving retrogaming.

I will start: what stuff do you prefer to watch on a CRT?

Personally I think until we get some kind of Blu-Ray, the Sonic OVA has to be on a CRT.
>>
File: FSPruQhXMAMiVrX.jpg (304 KB, 1641x1708)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
Just so you know; this is the upscaled version that got released recently, played on a softmodded original xbox. Works incredibly well.

Also, can I ask, how many of you have opened a CRT? How do you discharge it etc? I bought a rare mini CRT and I am going to try and repair it but I'm scared of killing myself.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1200)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>8899178
Can anybody tell me what the little icon on the right means? As I understand it, the three dots typically indicate RGB, but I've never seen the little curved line/arch thing before.
>>
>>8899252

It means it's sad :(
>>
>>8899261
D:
>>
>>8899252

Jokes aside, I have looked online to try and find out what it means but it's actually really hard to find a glossary of old CRT input symbols.

Best thing to do is find your TVs service manual online, should say it there.
>>
>>8899178
Should I buy a Mitsubishi cs20201?
i know this is a thread for gaming but I want a nice picture for movies.
>>
>>8899178
What game?
>>
Any hand-drawn slideshow anime is instantly way comfier on a CRT, even if there's a blu-ray version available
>>
File: 234780293483.png (1.84 MB, 1905x1774)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>8899310
I have a general service manual for it that covers a couple different models all in one booklet, but the only time the icon appears is on the page in picrel. A random forum post I found hints that it might have something to do with a gamma curve? I don't know anything about CRTs so I'm at a loss.
>>
>>8899368

Are you referring to the image? Because that's from the Sonic OVA. Not a game unfortunately.

Sonic CD has a rad intro though.
>>
>>8899252
The symbol on the left usually has something to do with horizontal positioning. Maybe the horizontal position control changes to something else when RGB is used.
>>
>>8899409

Does it look nice? I think that's the important thing.

>>8899397

I need to finish watching all of Kenny Launderdales videos.
>>
>>8899419
Interesting. The guy I'm buying it from only had an old SNES to connect to it to show it working and it had a slight horizontal alignment issue (too far left), but I'll be using it with a PS2 and, from some very cursory reading, it seems it might not have the same issue if I use a true RGB SCART cable. Thanks for the info nonetheless. I'll keep hunting.
>>
>>
File: 3458798345345.png (135 KB, 685x284)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>8899425
>Does it look nice? I think that's the important thing.
I'll find out on Sunday. The images the guy sent me looked good. I'm a pleb anyway so probably won't be able to tell.
Picrel is in the manual also, and it says RGB, so I'll just hope for the best.
>>
File: 20220511_223937.jpg (167 KB, 913x1057)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>8899439

Good luck. Also you should be able to fix the horizontal positioning with the remote. Are you playing PAL or NTSC PS2?

For some reason it seems that from every console onward from the PS1; many NTSC games allowed people to change the screen position and sometimes even the size (I've noticed tons of Capcom games on the DC allow this. CAPCOM fucking loved the Dreamcast; I have no idea why. Maybe because they were good with NAOMI hardware.)

Maybe I was just an idiot kid but I don't remember any PAL games allowing you to change the Screensize (probably due to 50z)

Just another way we got fk'd.
>>
>>8899461
It comes with the original remote, so hopefully. I'll be playing on a PAL PS2 (unfortunately I'm a bong) and the TV is rated for 50Hz.
>Just another way we got fk'd.
Tell me about it. Fucking 480i is an absolute nightmare on anything other than a CRT.
>>
File: cspuldmo3z831.jpg (48 KB, 576x768)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>8899330

Sure? Why wouldn't you? If you just want to watch stuff then any CRT is going to give you a cozy feeling. If anything most of the time the lower end the TV the more interesting it looks.

What you need to consider is how you are going to watch stuff on it.

You can go authentic and go VHS; or masturbary and go Lazerdisk (so fancy)

You can go easy and use DVD. PS2 should work fine. Plus some DVD players allow USB etc.

You can go OGXBOX like I have with an FTP server. XBMC4Xbox is pretty great with excellent compatibility. You can change the resolution, screensize, overscan, supports tons of filetypes.

You can go ROKU with native composite cables but they are hard to find. Or go ROKU/FIRESTICK/CHROMECAST etc via HDMI to Composite/VGA etc. But it's kind of fiddly but worth it if you are going to be using it constantly and not just as a novelty.
>>
>>8899471

When was it made? What TV is it?
>>
>>8899484
Sony Trinitron KV14M1U. Not sure how to find out the manufacture date
>>
File: tv room.png (212 KB, 720x540)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>8899482
>pic
Me and my buddies did this once a few years ago with a combination of our tvs. We had 9 set up one more off to the right.
We had a whole empty bedroom to set it up. Some TVs jumped composite to each other, but mostly just a lot of RF splitters.
We had it setup for about a month. Pretty fun to screw around and play games with.
>>
>>8899491

Dude, I cannot tell you how much I want that TV. I think the trini's are mostly overrated and overshadow the large majority of CRT talk but hot damn, that TV with its aesthetically pleasing itergrated VHS player is just beautiful. It's on my 'to get list' right after the KV-9PT50 (one of the cutest CRTs ever)

Also, whilst the service manual lists PAL, that doesn't mean it won't support 60hz. I am 99% sure that it should support PAL60. Sony were at the forefront of 60hz tv's in PAL countries (just not when it came to the PS2 for some fucking reason. I mean the Dreamcast came out before it and had 60hz on many games, come on Sony)

Do you have any softmodded consoles?
>>
File: FQvvYWPXwAMuAjO.jpg (496 KB, 1521x2048)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>8899531

I hate to tell you this; but Mr Gimmick wasn't released until 1992.

Sorry. (Great game though)
>>
can anyone recommend a good component switch box?
>>
>>8899559
This model doesn't actually have an integrated VHS player. I lucked out with this one, though; I got it for about half the average market price (at least on eBay, which I know is inflated beyond belief, but I'd rather pay a bit more now to use the display rather than spend every waking hour scouring Marketplace or Gumtree looking for a steal).
I believe it does also support 60Hz, so I guess I could go the FreeHDBoot method and run a bunch of 480p NTSC copies off my PS2. This PS2 is the only console I have. I just picked it up on a whim last week. I might expand with other consoles in future, but I'm not sure where I'd go. Nintendo games never particularly interested me.
>>
I just bought one of those HDMI to composite adapters and have plugged it into my crt, with the intention of enjoying lots of old games via RetroArch. I am struggling to figure out how to apply the right resolution though. I used Nvidia control panel to get the desktop to fit, but no matter what resolution I use in RetroArch itself the games still have black bars even though this is not in any way a fancy hd crt or anything like that. The quality is also pretty rough but I think that may be more just the crt.
>>
>>8899580

Get a Dreamcast; then mod it with GDEMU and DreamPSU. It's like another world.

In regards to the 480p with freeMCboot, I have been trying for ages to get it to work with PAL60 and for some reason it only shows half of the screen (if anyone knows why this is please let me know) and I know it's not my TV because I tried 240p test suite with 480p. If you do try it out and it works let me know what settings you used.
>>
>>8899581

What region is the game you are testing it with? Photo?>>8899593
>>
>>8899593
I'll look into that, cheers.
>In regards to the 480p
Will keep that in mind and post about it in future if I learn anything.
>>
>>8899595
I've been trying all sorts of different ones, the Hdmi converter is set to NTSC.
>>
>>8899580
grab a wii even if you're not into nintendo, it can emulate master system, genesis and pc engine, also it has some neo geo games on virtual console
>>
>>8899630

How do the emulators stack up on Wii? Does Rondo of Blood work well?
>>
>>8899630
Good shout. Honestly I'd grab a Wii solely for Wii Sports Golf lmao.
>>
File: IMG_20220511_160335.jpg (3.73 MB, 4000x3000)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
Is this a good CRT? Could someone smarter than me identify/rate it? I use HDMI to RGB to play Switch games/RetroArch and native support for my softmodded Wii. I've had this TV my whole life.
>>
>>8899663
It might be a JVC I'Art?
>>
>>8899638
the hardware purists and retroarch freaks will tell you it isn't accurate enough but it's great. ive enjoyed a lot of nes, snes, master system and genesis games on it without issues. raphnet makes adaptors to the gamecube ports so you can use oem controllers for their respective consoles depending on how autistic you want to get with it. i use one for master system and genesis controllers, but for nes and snes i use the mini's controllers plugged into the wiimote
>>
>>8899581
So I can get Fullscreen on the crt with the full scaling option, and then integer scaling helps fill it out even better after it's been scaled, but that can't be right can it?
>>
>>8899638
>>8899674
I've only just set one up but Its great so far. Got the component cable for it and it looks amazing on my crt. I had been using a pc with an old nvidia card I had lying around and got a vga-component transcoder. Could make a custom resolution with 240p 15khz but I could never get snes to look right. I guess I would have to get an old ATI card and install crt emudriver but I got sick of the endless tweaking.
>>
>>8899419
>The symbol on the left usually has something to do with horizontal positioning.
It's just an indication that the SCART port is an input and output at the same time. The output is usually composite only, most often used to connect a VCR.
>>
>>8899178
I also have a CRT and the OVA on VHS
can confirm it is extremely comfy
>>
>>8899565
ah man you got me.
no its just an old ass vhs camcorder.
the date doesn't go past '99 so that was in '19
>>
File: hyperkinGEN1VSTWO.jpg (336 KB, 1920x705)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
anti-crt posters trigger me
>want to play on real hardware
>superiority complex that entails
>hooks up to upscaler for hdmi
>games now look like shit & worse than emulation pc settings with shaders

heres two screengrabs i got of genesis model 1 AND 2 for comparison sake, they both looked like shit upscaled over RGB
>>
>>8900734
NES into the retrotink is even worse

i will never give up my crt collection ;_:
>>
File: famiAV.jpg (95 KB, 669x903)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>
my crt gets absolutely covered in dust. what makes it an issue is that it’s pushed into a corner so reaching the back end of it is a little difficult for its size. is it ok to cover the top and back with a towel or would that absolutely fuck my crt for whatever reason?
>>
>>8900874
just remove the cover when in use anon
>>
File: 20220505_153344.jpg (2.33 MB, 2880x1816)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>8899663
I like mine. I just need to find a tv stand for it because I don't want to keep play games with it on the carpet.
>>
File: 20220506_234802.jpg (1.1 MB, 2189x1616)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>8899663
Another pic just to show an idea of what the geometry would be like. May just need a very very slight adjustment fyi.
>>
>>8899663
Just re-read that you have had it for your whole life. I was told by people here that it is like the equivalent of the D-series CRTs, but as a flat screen. So it is very good, especially since it has component and S-Video.
>>
>>8900847
The N8 is nice, but it is just too expensive on SAG compared to the price of the Pro version sold on Krikzz's website.
>>
>>8900893
just leave it its close enough
play the games anon
>>
>>8900903
all flashcarts are a ripoff right now
just wait until they return to normal price if you dont already have one

or emulate on pc with filters
>>
What are some good CRT monitors to replace CRT tv with and how good are component to VGA adapter? I don’t have space for my giant 34” CRT anymore so I need something more compact without sacrificing image quality.
>>
>>8900931
>or emulate on pc with filters
You realize you can just hook up a CRT TV to your PC?
>>
>>8899252
Arrow pointing in: Input only
Arrow pointing in and out: Input and output.
Three dots in a triangle formation: Composite video.
Three dots in a line: RGB.
Two dots in a line: Y/C (S-Video).
I think the curved line means it has multi capability
>>
>>8899252
Would it be RGBs?
>>
Of course CRT-ards ignore that LCD EDTVs existed around the Dreamcast PS2 era and games were made for them.

Edtv LCDs absolutely destroy crts.
>>
>>8899178
This is the most soul crushing image I've ever seen on this board.
The Sonic OVA is one of my favorite films and there aren't any CRT's near me. Not for miles and miles, at the very least. I'm too broke to order one online from some shitty scalper either.
Wat do?
>>
>>8900881
what cover
>>
>>8901219
lag and dead pixels
>>
>>8901219
>and games were made for them
No, no they were not made for anything. I have an edtv LCD and it looks like shit
>>
>>8901037
if you have a crt use real hardware
emulation on crt is the next best
emulation on a good gaming monitor with filters following that

there is no point in emulation aside from cost if you have the crt; that is the most important part
>>
>>8901225
crt are everywhere
check local facebook groups
most of my crt were free or under $20
>>
>>8901219
these have potential
and can be comfy in 4:3
i like doing text rpg type games on these

as long as you arent trying to beat shmups lcd are fine & quite inexpensive/small
>>
>>8900734
i dont get it? it looks fine to me
both look literally fine?
>>
File: 24-116-279-04.jpg (79 KB, 1280x960)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Would I be absolutely insane to get a Viewsonic E70fb for $200? Apparently new/in box and never been used.
>https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824116279
>>
File: FIxzmZPX0AMqlCy (1).jpg (187 KB, 1669x1116)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>8901225

Where do you live oni-chan?
>>
>>8901541
seems pricey but if its new & you like the look jump on it

i paid $150 for a refurb locally
>>
>>8901458
16 ms lag is 1 frame. You don't see 1 frame, get over yourself.
Dead pixels Vs permanent screen burn in
>>
>>8901461
What edtv do you have? Obviously the quality depends on the set
>>
>>8901576
>i pretend i do not see it
>>
>>8901467
It's 16 ms lag (1 frame) on an ips screen - any game will be fine on it
It will do 240 and 480 content much better than any pvm- just the nature of digital Vs analogue

From the Dreamcast onwards crts were redundant
>>
>>8901592
pixel response time my guy
even 1ms 240hz monitors will tear in the right scenarios

please dont spread misinfo
the reason cheap lcd are plentiful is because most of them are garbage & lack the "crt" look
>>
I posted this last week that I found a free 2001 32" JVC D series a few miles from my house and this thing is pretty massive and I don't have space or a plan for where to put it, it powered up fine though and the inputs work. The housing is kinda dirty though and I wanna get it clean. Any suggestions that produce a pretty good job in minimal time?
>>
>>8899178
I got a Sansui tvs3275 off Facebook for only $10. So far it's working great. Only downside is that the s-video port is in the back.
>>
>>8901628
a rag and rubbing alcohol
nice find

i avoid furniture / tv i cant move alone
what if you have to move grandpa?
what then?!!
>>
>>8901820
run a cable and use an extender/coupler
i do this with all my sets so i dont have to fuck around behind them
>>
>>8899397
>even if there's a blu-ray version available
You can play Blu-ray on CRT dumbass.
>>
>>8900734
Why are you lying?
These screenshots are clearly HQ filters on emulator.
>>
>>8901219
>Edtv LCDs absolutely destroy crts.
No. LCDs of that era were complete garbage compared to today.
>>
if I'm connecting a PAL PS2 to a CRT via SCART, do I want an RGB SCART cable with Composite CSYNC or one with Sync on Luma? Retro Gaming Cables sell both but idk what the difference is
>>
>>8901219
I wouldn't say they destroy them but they're an excellent compromise for size/space and the image quality is nowhere near as bad as the other anons are making it out to be, at least on mine. Effectively perfect for sixth gen though.
>>
File: 20220418_182358.jpg (341 KB, 1510x1387)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
Can I use one of these to play retro consoles on pic related?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZLX7X7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_89Y4RT4MAEDEFXWDFPHN
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q35CSY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9AB4RKQ3YTRF1KYCEGJG
>>
>>8902709
Shouldn't matter for a standard CRT as long as you're not using sync-on-composite (which comes as a standard in most SCART devices, but introduces some interference in badly shielded cables). PS2 doesn't output CSYNC by default, those CSYNC cables just have a sync stripper built in.
Some devices want CSYNC and nothing else, that's what those cables are for. For a standard CRT you'll be OK with sync-on-luma, but you can get the ones with CSYNC as well, there won't be any difference.
As a side note, be careful not to confuse sync-on-composite and composite sync. The first is just using a composite video signal as a source for sync (because obviously it's a part of CVBS). The latter means that H and V sync signals are sent together in one wire (hence "composite"), as opposed to something like VGA RGBHV, which uses separate wires for horizontal and vertical sync.
Sync-on-luma is similar to sync-on-composite, it just uses the luma signal (like in S-Video) to get sync instead of full CVBS. It's the color information that introduces the interference, so getting rid of it usually solves the problem.
I'm personally using a sync-on-luma cable to connect the PS2 to my Trinitron. Everything works fine.
>>
File: 1649770876912.png (209 KB, 508x490)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>8899178
>Got a copy of the Sonic OVA on DVD recently
>Also got a "new" CRT recently
Thank you for helping me decide how to spend my night Anon
>>
>>8902793
I don't know what most of what you said means but thanks nonetheless. Turns out all the PS2 SCART cables on RGC are out of stock anyway, so I'll just have to bum a cheap one off Amazon until they're back lmao. Picking up my Trinitron in a couple days and somehow I completely forgot to buy a SCART cable until now.
>>
>>8901628
Get a screwdriver unscrew and remove the plastic housing. Take it to your shower/tub and wash the plastic with dish soap. Clean the inside with compress and q-tips with rubbing alcohol.
>>
>>8901002
>>8901541
>>8902782
why are you guys ignoring crt monitors questions?
>>
>>8902820
You can give this a read if you want to know more about sync: https://www.retrorgb.com/sync.html
>I'll just have to bum a cheap one off Amazon
I bought my cables from thefoo.83 on ebay. They're good quality and cost half the amount you'd have to shell out for RGC. Be sure to ask them about availability if you don't see the cables you want on their ebay page.
Don't settle for cheap chinkshit, you'll regret it - most of them are sync-on-composite, have audio buzz, etc.
>>
>>8902152
Damn, that image must’ve triggered a bunch of Dreamcast fanboys
>>
A part of me is tempted to get a Dreamcast composite cable just to see what it'd look like on a shitty CRT. I know there's VGA outputs and I have a 480i/480p SCART cable to use on the Retrotink 5X, but it's still something that makes me curious with the slight bits of noticeable dither on games like Phantasy Star Online.
>>
>>8902884
>thefoo.83
Unfortunately I'm a bong, so I'll just grab RGC cables next time they're in stock.
>>
>>8902909
There isn’t, 480i on composite doesn’t work like you are thinking, it only works for progressive image and no there isn’t dither like you are thinking unless you are talking about the games that are able to go to 240p?
>>
>>8899565
lol source on the image?
>>
>>8901541
>Viewsonic E70fb
if its actually new in box go for it. i did this for the same price on a similar monitor and its great knowing im the only one who's ever racked up power on hours on it.
>>
File: ,,.jpg (322 KB, 1000x750)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>8899178
just powered on my 36 CRT after about a year of not using it and having moved it from one side a room to another a couple times. fuck man it sucks, screen in the upper right corner is totally slanted down likr 2-3 inches

bout to hopo back into the service menus after i finish my ice cream. pic related is how she looked last time i finished adjusting her
>>
>>8903464
Sure it isn't just geomagnetic fuckery? Shit can happen sometimes
>>
>>8903472
i really hope not because then im fucked :/ that's always the first thing that comes to mind. but luckily from what i saw there was no odd coloring or green that you usually see with anything magnetic. so im hoping it just got banged once or twice that fucked its geometry
>>
>>8903481
My old HD Tau had a correction adjustment for it, same one that one of the anons will occasionally show off in the thread
>>
File: fuckedGrid.jpg (3.28 MB, 4032x3024)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>8903464
honestly not that baddd
>>
File: 1619030314237.jpg (35 KB, 596x589)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Im trying to play videos on my crt with a hdmi2av converter and a elgato hd60 pro. i keep messing with it but i cant get a video source (an anime episode for example) to display on the tv. can an anon show me the way?
>>
File: BellsPalsyWeb-1000x668.jpg (104 KB, 1000x668)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>8903464
>>8903534
>>
Should contrast be high or low? to not kill your CRT tv
>>
>>8901628
Hows the peoples' house smell?
>>
>>8903541
>>8903534
what do we think? eh eh? trying my best to get things better into shape but constantly thinking im making them worse
>>
File: newGrid.jpg (1.52 MB, 4032x3024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>8903606
pic
>>
crts were always shit
/cumsoomer revisionist thread/
>>
>>8903608
The bottom whites look squished
>>
>>8903615
the one man crusade of a man who doesn't really care
>>
File: newestGrid.jpg (1.4 MB, 4032x3024)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>8903625
>>8903608
newest iteration. i think i made the corners all look their best. i know the boxes at bottom look squished but i mean what do i do??? open to suggestions its a 36fv310/ going to run some 240p tests

this sucks so much. i used to have such great geometry on this. it could also be because of which way its facing
>>
>>8903636
vertical linearity maybe
the right side might be because of magnets either nearby or on the tube itself
>>
>>8903641
ok but real quick this looks better than what it was before right? going to save and take a break, getting sweaty
>>
>>8903632
>man
>crusade
a lot of loaded language there, anon
>>
>>8903636
if you go between >>8903464 and this current it's pretty close if you account for the tilt of your picture, there's just a lot of blur/bleeding going on in the red, the signal is kinda shit
>>
>>8903645
not really, looks pretty similar to me
>>
File: IMG_1908.jpg (1.37 MB, 4032x3024)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>8903663
>>8903667
sigh well i saved the progress. just tested it with some gameplay, can't really notice much aside from it just looks generally good.

>>8903641
deff something like that. im going to try moving it away from this wall and also moving some other crap around.
>>
>>8903685
oh yeah in game that looks way better, I'd just say fuck it and get back to enjoying games
>>
>>8903685
you might also want to fix your white point, looks very pink, unless that's just your camera
>>
File: IMG_1909.jpg (1.69 MB, 4032x3024)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>8903695
>>8903690
lol right? i was like wait let me just go look.
>>8903695
i honestly think it might just be my camera lol im literally just flicking my phone up taking a quick pic while in a dark room. i got awesome component cables recently for my wii. the place i can see the cables fucking up is when they go into my extron, that is one very long component cable that is of a fine quality just not amazing.
>>
Somebody post a high resolution photograph of an in-era CRT monitor running the original 1999 EverQuest client, please.
>>
are monoprice cables considered cheap or shitty? im using component ones and im notsure if my screen is looking fuzzier than normal
>>
if I blink a led at 60 hertz I can clearly see it blinking

if I play a game on a 240fps monitor I can clearly see the difference

but your telling me that a CRT somehow creates a stable image when viewing it in person? bullshit
>>
>>8903749
No, it flickers like crazy. Eventually you just get used to it and your brain starts running at 60hz.
>>
File: FKXokI1agAEB_D1.jpg (266 KB, 1560x1914)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>8903102

Can't remember unfortunately; some random Twitter artbitch.
>>
>>8903749
It does exactly that because that’s how the emissive light works
>>8903756
If you are getting flickering then your set needs a recap
>>
>>8903803
>LEDs don't emit light

A strange hill to die on, friend.
>>
Does anyone have footage of a 90s Walmart or similar store's television section?
>>
>>8903819
>Monitors use LED's
Unless you use an OLED then no
>>
>>8903846
Monitors use LED backlights, anon. And also you can literally just connect a LED up to your RPi and blink it at exactly 60hz, if you can't see it blinking you have eye problems.
>>
>>8903847
Look mate, the way LCD's function, you are not going to get the result you want
>>
>>8903851
>look, the photons are just different, okay?
>>
>>8901463
I'd argue that emulation is far more flexible and customizable to your liking, it's actually higher cost if you don't already have a good PC either. So emulation with real CRT would come first if you ask me, second would be real hardware.
>>
>>8903853
I think you need to do a little research on the way they function
If it simply emitted the correct light then there wouldn't be any issues with LCD's
>>
File: 1641876610938.png (572 KB, 600x580)
572 KB
572 KB PNG
>>8903862
>correct light
>>
>>8903857
I don't understand why people think emulation is mutually exclusive to panels and real hardware to CRTs
There's probably more people here with real hardware that run on panels and not CRTs and CRTs aren't some unobtanium thing that it's the thing that's stopping you from using real hardware or emulation, they are literally free
>>
>>8903867
yes anon, games have colour
pretending to be retarded are you?
>>
>>8903787
damn, it's got that oekaki look and 9/11 on the tv is a nice touch lol
>>
File: FPxT8tkWUAU7nnt.jpg (108 KB, 957x1199)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>8903889

Might have been this one. Does a lot of oekaki-esque stuff, mostly retro lewds with satisfying skin tones.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhoopsAtro/media
>>
>>8903867
Yes. The picture just doesn't look right unless you're getting bombarded by all manner of x-rays and gamma rays.
>>
>>8903857
it depends on how you play
if you savescum and cheat your way through then pc is your horse

i only use real hardware
i do not recant my statement on upscalers and modern consumer sets looking like shit
>>
>>8904157
If you think a CRT has any amount of dangerous radiation, you’ve been misinformed
Do you also not go outside in the sun?
>>
>>8902469
stop

why would I lie about this
why would i lie about this autistic and very specific shit?

you think i give a fuck how you play vidya?
>>
File: 1630132712667.png (102 KB, 241x228)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>8904165
>Do you also not go outside in the sun?
Jesus christ, never, are you insane?
>>
>>8904169
the comparison photos and videos were for myself, mostly to see if there was a difference in RGB quality between the model 1, model 2, 32x and hyperkin system

they all looked bad
>>
>>8904169
>>8904174
i even tested a retail cart vs everdrive
>>
>>8904164
>if you savescum and cheat your way through then pc is your horse
Why? I emulate and never use cheats or save states
Also that's not mutually excusive to emulators, you can do that with real hardware too, so why act like it's just a emulator/PC thing?

>i do not recant my statement on upscalers and modern consumer sets looking like shit
That's not what it's about, you can use real hardware on CRTs or panels too, just like emulators, screen technology has fundamentally nothing to do with it, the point was that both can use either
>>
>>8900734
What upscaler are you using to make it look that bad?
Also is the MD you’re using still stock video out? Or are you using bypass
>>
>>8904180
not trying to attack your character for using emulation

you setup isnt worse (objectively) because it is emulation based

if your end goal is to replicate actual hardware 100% accurately (and cost is a non-issue) real hardware wins everytime.

the cartridge based systems fire up instantly
>>
>>8904182
all stock
i compared the 4 systems over rgb hyperkin upscaler vs retrotink 2x pro

no (((mods))) to any system as they are usually destructive and performed by morons
>>
>>8904179
anon that would make zero visual difference if its the same rom
>>
>>8904190
>not trying to attack your character for using emulation
I don't, never claimed I did either, doesn't mean I'm not familiar with it

>if your end goal is to replicate actual hardware 100% accurately (and cost is a non-issue) real hardware wins everytime.
100% of the time I'd hand you a controller and sit you in front of a CRT, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you can see what's hooked up to it

>the cartridge based systems fire up instantly
the bottleneck for emulation or real hardware behind a CRT will be the CRT warming up anyways, either one fires up in seconds
reverse argument is true for disc based systems, there emulation is faster anyways and even with cartage based systems (and obviously disc), loading itself is still faster in the games that have loading screens (few N64)
>>
>>8904197
in theory yes
but i didnt want to rule anything out
i was trying to see if my jailbars were a crt issue or hardware specific
>>
>>8904203
>100% of the time I'd hand you a controller and sit you in front of a CRT, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you can see what's hooked up to it

maybe in the current year
but it also depends on the system and game, i cant even use bluetooth controllers or the 2.4gz wireless ones without splitting hairs and noticing (blaming my deaths) in shmups

emulation is the recommended route if you have ZERO systems and just want to play

once you start going down the mame rabbithole and get into arcade accurate shmups . emulation is still viable but far from being the normie-tier easy solution
>>
>>8904193
I agree to some extent but the stock MD has pretty bad video output, even to a CRT, but I do still like that
>>
>>8904218
the shitty video signal is alleviated by using composite on a larger livingroom tv

the waterfall sonic fags were right ;_;
>>
>>8904212
>maybe in the current year
Yeah we're not talking about the past

>i cant even use bluetooth controllers or the 2.4gz wireless ones without splitting hairs and noticing (blaming my deaths) in shmups
I can give you a wireless controller with a proper emulation setup behind a CRT that has the same latency as the original system, to the millisecond

>emulation is the recommended route if you have ZERO systems and just want to play
that's the only route if you have zero systems and want to play
emulation is also the be all end all route for the most flexible and customizable setup
>>
>>8904205
What kind of jailbars are we talking here
A simple recap can alleviate some of that but I think you’ll always get some of that on composite MD, if you want a clean RGB picture you have to lift the composite pin on the main chip
>>
>>8904229
until you want to play a system that doesnt emulate well

saturn, jaguar, cdi, etc
>>
>>8904240
hard to photograph
but its not bad enough for me to mod systems over it

on the consumer livingroom crt the bars are "smeared" so you cant see them
>>
>>8904247
That’s fine, but it’s just inherent to the composite out of the system and can’t have clean output unless you lift that pin
>>
>>8904226
>the waterfall sonic fags were right ;_;

enjoy your ban
>>
File: 20220507_211602.jpg (3.52 MB, 4128x3096)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
Need to test more stuff with this monochrome monitor. The model number is Panasonic TR-120M1GS
>>
>>8904245

Who the fuck is emulating CDI? Like don't get me wrong, I am the kind of person who watches Halfblindgamer; one of the only defedants of the CDI that I can think of and think it's an interesting system. But what the fuck are you playing on it? I'm not being an asshole, I am really interested!

And I totally with what you said. Emulation for 16bit and before it fine. But when you get into anything 32 bit etc I just check out. It just doesn't feel authenticate at all. Especially N64
>>
>>8904169
i like that this niche is autistic but not to the point of collecting lint or something
>>
>>8904245
Brute force, fastest single core speed on the market for PCs will do it even with run-ahead.
>>
How are AIWA CRT TVs?
>>
>>8905504
aiwightt
>>
>>8905504
Just another no name brand
>>
I just picked up a model 1 genesis but it only came with an RF cable, what are the best cables to get for a genesis? It seems like model 1 composite cables are mono audio only.
>>
I have a Sony Trinitron and sometimes it randomly decides to lower the color level. Anyone know why it would do that?
>>
>>8905584
RGB SCART or component.
>>
>>8905584
That’s because all model 1’s are mono only
You see that headphone port on the front?
That’s how you get your stereo audio
>>
>>8905589
but what about the epic waterfall dither?

>>8905614
Oh okay I guess I'll find some 3.5mm to RCA cables then. There's like 8 fucking pins on that AV socket you'd think they could fit right audio into one of them.
>>
>>8899436
is this supposed to look good?
>>
>>8905628
I recommend getting one with a right angled flat jack
>>
>>8903540
i got it working, my only problem is that smallish text can be hard to read. is this a resolution issue or just the case for crts and small/thin text?
>>
Did you know 4:3 1600 x 1200 give a perfect 5x scale to 240p

LCD monitors from the early-mid 2000s gave perfect 240p gameplay

And also let you play the classic pc games of the era
Oblivion
Morrowind
Fallout 2
Baldurs gate 2
>>
>>8899178
i may be remembering wrong but wasnt there a vertical CRT that was really long and people were using it for bullethell/shootemups? it was old and very rare.
>>
>>8905868
why would you need to do that?
those games are 3:4, which is just a CRT turned 90 degrees
there is Darius which is just multiple screens
>>
>>8902894
it looks like a compilation of failed hardware but wasn't the pocketstation extremely successful?
>>
How would I know if speakers are shielded and safe to use with a CRT? Should I just go pick them up?
>>
>>8902782
Following up with this, crt novice here
>>
>>8902782
Well the only game consoles I know that would work with VGA are the Dreamcast and OG Xbox.
>>
File: IMG_20220514_033321736.jpg (3.29 MB, 4096x2304)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
Man I'm glad CRTs photograph like shit because I do not miss seeing what RF video quality looks like.
>>
>>8905074
fill me in on the software ill give it a go im liquid cooled kek

>>8904757
im not saying the emulation scene is huge
im not saying i bust my cdi out every single day
but it has the best port of tetris ever made anon
>>
>>8906605
godtier
>>
>>8906394
you can find out by holding them near a crt while its on (move them away immediately if you notice fuckery obv)
>>
>>8906657
they might be shielded they might not
i have had shitmon thriftstore speakers be shielded
while my brother has bought surround sound shit for his 500$ receiver that WASN'T shielded so it really is random in used-marketland
>>
>>8904787
with a camera-roll like that i believe him
>>
>>8906394
Look up the model, if it was made in the 90s ore before they 100% are shielded. 99% if they were made between 2000-2010
>>
>>8905803
Don’t care + didn’t ask + L + washed out blacks
>>
>>8906653
>im liquid cooled
That doesn't mean you have a beefy CPU
>>
>>8906394
unless you're putting them right next or on top of the tv it shouldn't matter much. side note never put speakers on your tv i hate when idiots do this
>>
>>8907558
And why is that?
>>
>>8907648
Google: acoustics, stereophonic sound, soundstage.
>>
pity post
>>
>>8904169
The one in the right is clearly emulator on LCD
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (429 KB, 1600x1600)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
what should I expect to pay for a JVC D-Series AV-27D201?
>>
Just wanted to say, PC CRTs are fucking crazy.
Maybe it's just my memory not being able to remember how good they were, but running my PS3 on one I just picked up a few weeks ago, and it looks super sharp and slick. Doesn't even look like a "CRT" as I'd think of it, looks almost as sharp as my main IPS monitor.
>>
>>8909478
$30 at the most
>>
>>8909486
yeah around that ballpark, though there's a good chance whoeve's selling it might "know what they got" since more people are getting aware of D-Series TVs.
>>
>>8909486
Seriously?

Damn, ebay's prices are crazy.
>>
>>8899482
PS3 is pretty good for watching stuff on a CRT,i just transfer the video on a USB stick and then the PS3.
>>
>>8899482
i also vote ps3.
>>
Will CRTs ever be surpassed for retro gaming? How far away are flat panel TVs from virtually perfectly matching the motion clarity of a CRT with virtually no added lag?
>>
>>8906394
You need some goddamn stereo separation anyway, give them some space
>>
>>8909826
No, flat panels can't replace nostalgia.
>>
>>8903102
pantsu-ripperoni
>>
File: 34859734987.jpg (1.6 MB, 2852x2645)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
im finally a trinitranny lads
>>
File: Sun GDM 5410 21.png (239 KB, 445x430)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
What do I do now?
>>
>>8899419
No, it indicates that the SCART port is both an input and an output. I.e if this is AV1 and you select anything other than AV1 on your set, the TV will output the signal to the SCART. If AV1 is set, then the port becomes an input.
The second icon is RGB but no clue for the curve.
>>
>>8911546
get a component to vga adapter
>>
>>8911546
Sell it to some crt obsessive and invest in a GPU/CPU
Retroarch with filters
The new ssung qd oled is insane. First screen to be able to do 4k 144hz
>>
>>8911997
why are you like this?
>>
>>8911997
>The new ssung qd oled is insane. First screen to be able to do 4k 144hz
If only they didn't make the picture too bright on purpose and then try to cheat in reviews by suddenly returning the picture to normal levels when displaying test patterns...
>>
>>8912053
Wait for real? That sounds really shitty.
>>
>>8912059
Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhto9MmiExE
>>
>>8911997
Do this except don't do any of that because flat screens and filters are for faggots
>>
Attention, Blaze the Cat fans! It's time to vote for whether or not you want Blaze the Cat to be independent from Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends. The poll is in the link below.
https://take.quiz-maker.com/poll4341389x8eCA461F-136
>>
>>8911540
yikes i know you paid a pretty penny for that bc that's the state of crt today. fess up fag, how much
>>
>>8912736
Fuck off sperg
>>
>>8912837
£60 lmao. imo the market right now is either spending your time constantly eyeing fb marketplace/craigslist/gumtree etc. and getting a deal/something for free after a while, or just sucking it up and paying to get something instantly. i'd rather just pay the premium and be able to use my ps2 now desu :DDDd
>>
>>8912935
paypigs like you are ruining the market for everyone
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (70 KB, 876x267)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
which one and what system to go with it? choose carefully
>>
>missed being able to get a 27" sansui tv that was getting brough in for recycle
Didn't test it, as it was brought into my work after I had clocked out, but it had composite in the front and two more sets in the back plus s-video. It looked like it was used at a construction office so it might of been worn out tube wise. Still a shame.
>>
>>8899178
I have two CRTs. Neither is a cool Trinitron, but both are, weirdly enough, identical Panasonics that were found with "free" signs on the sidewalk on two separate occasions.

Aside from gaming, I have one hooked up with a VCR in a music studio room, which is my big hobby. Sometimes I'll pop in an old VHS horror movie, sample the audio, and use background elements like breathing or footsteps in my music. Even better if the tape is all fucked up and glitches while I'm watching it, because that's prime sampling material.
>>
File: E3IAPLPVEAEAAbF.jpg (222 KB, 1538x1975)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
Hey bois,

What's the current state of CRT hunting in your country/area and have you felt the affect of Linus Tard Tips video blowing up?

In England it's currently pretty good for ANYTHING that isn't a Trinitron. For instance someone in London gave away a free Bang and Olufsen MX4000 on Gumtree last week and I scored a broken MX1500 that I'm hoping to fix for 10 pounds.

However, since that Linus video I have noticed everyone is dumping their trinis online and the prices are terrible. However if you know the right places to look (FBM, Gumtree, preloved etc) you can still snag a few rare bargains. I even saw someone sell the sought after Disney Princess TV sell for like 15 pounds.

Finally, for actual retail hunting; at least from my perspective; in the UK it's horrendous. No charity/thrift stores sell them anymore.

I remember only 8 years or so ago, you could walk into a British Heart Foundation Furniture store and the wall would be lined with CRT's for crazy cheap. Sure they were mostly silver mid 2000's stuff but damn I miss seeing that.

(Just for reference, I'm from near Birmingham; so I'd love to hear that other places in the UK are like. Especially more rural ones)
>>
>>8911997
Yeah, the new QD-OLED Alienware is great, I use it for modern games too.
Doesn't replace my CRT monitors and TVs though, that's for /vr/.
Tool for the job.
>>
File: 1638023858312.png (132 KB, 1412x792)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>8913486
It's okay, hasn't changed much, the normies are looking for FW900 now. I still saw several PC CRTs, even higher end 120+ kHz 21"+ stuff for less than 50 bucks and lower end 90-110kHz 19"+ for free even, locally of course.
>>
>>8913345
>but both are, weirdly enough
Why wouldn't they be? Non-Trinitrons are prefered for /vr/, most Trinitrons are too sharp
>>
>>8899439
What is this game?
>>
>>8899409
Maybe it means Widecreen capable?
>>
>>8899252
RGB
>>
>>8911830
This. You could have a VCR connected over a single SCART cable to your TV, it let you watch VCR tapes but you could also record from the TV without any extra cables to the VCR.
There's a reason people say SCART was literally analog HDMI but without the DRM.
>>
File: 51bQjxhKWxL._AC_.jpg (47 KB, 352x500)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Talking about Sonic, does picrel look as good on CRTs as the original Genesis games did?
>>
>>8914035
Definitely not, Xbox doesn’t do 240p
>>
File: PXL_20210620_150349190~2.jpg (509 KB, 1787x1613)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>8902782
Yes you can, so long as you have a line doubler of some kind between it. I had that exact monitor and had a setup of console to OSSC to HDMI/VGA adapter to Monitor. It has zero lag due to all pieces in that chain being zero lag. It worked really well. Hell, the exact one you posted is what I had until I got a different one. I wish I kept it, because it could do 1080p content with only a little bit of the sides cut off. Pic related .
>>
>>8913486
People still give them out for free or next to nothing where I live, even Trinitrons. In fact I might one as a spare in case mine shits the bed sometime.
>>
>>8913063
die mad about it while i actually play my video games faggot
>>
File: skeptical.jpg (141 KB, 1440x1080)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>8913486
Small CRTs are dried up as usual. Analog signals stopped being transmitted some 5 or 6 years ago and the government made a recollection campaign. I actually went to one of their centers with a ruined trinitron and asked them if I could take a TV. One of the employees said sure but the other was one of those incorruptible type of government employee, whatever. Even that recollection campaign didn't dry up the market. I can still find big TVs on Facebook marketplace (we don't use craigslist here), but my favorite method is asking friends and family and acquaintances for TVs, it really works. I got my current TV asking for old TVs on a college facebook group. It's a 34 inch panasonic tau with component inputs and it's a beauty. I could snag it for free but the guy asked me if they were worth something. At first asked me for the equivalent of 75 dollars, and I said well that's expensive for a TV that no one will use and that's just taking space. Told him that although they were kinda given it for free (and I didn't tell him that I was doing him a favor) I said that I could give him 12 dollars. He said yeah whatever and that's how I got it.
Stay away off reddit and ebay and shit and just ask your friends and family, chances are someone still has an old TV laying around they'd like to get rid of.
>>
File: Bark_1.png (83 KB, 360x360)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>8914035

Was Sonic the Fighters on this one?
>>
Post your workbench for CRT repair, I need some inspo
>>
>>8914657
you're thinking of Sonic gems collection, mega collection is just the Genesis games
>>
>>8899178
Stupid question but are early 3D polygonal games really essential to play on CRT as sprite-based games are?
>>
>>8914035
i don't believe any of the sonic compilations for 6th gen consoles supported 240p output, so no. i think the wii virtual console versions did.
>>
>>8914743
With a button combo or by modding the wad, but only for some systems and games. N64, which the Wii is surprisingly good at, can only do 480i for example.
>>
>>8914748
i think the genesis sonic games supported it at least, which are what he was interested in. the inconsistent support is unfortunate. it really pisses me off that kirby dream collection and super mario all-stars don't support it. what were they thinking?
>>
>>8914759
Yeah, all Sonic games do. I just got a Wii the other day hopping it'd be an umbrella solution for 240p, especially N64, imagine my disappointment.
>>
>>8914736

Try not to think of it like "what's best" and go with what you prefer.

Do you think 3D games with crispy scanlines, no blur and 4:3 looks good?

Or do you think the wide-screen hacks, removing of texture warping and anti-ailsing is good?
>>
File: IMG_20220515_213144.jpg (549 KB, 1331x1775)
549 KB
549 KB JPG
>>
>>8914812
No opinion on the matter, I guess, though the former sounds preferable.
>>
>>8914869
>composhit
>>
File: IMG_1565.jpg (576 KB, 1278x958)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
Got a 29" RGB capable mitsubishi from some dude on fb marketplace for just $250. Thing does both 15 and 31khz. Thing's amazing.
>>
>>8915450
>he paid
>>
File: 20220501_061733.jpg (262 KB, 682x918)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
Was annoyed a long while on being unable to play vertical arcade games until I tried out to flip my 14" Trinitron on it's side. Blissful discovery.

(BTW this one has few dead spots)
>>
File: 20220501_061636.jpg (3.98 MB, 1975x2727)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>8915529
>>
File: 20220501_063434.jpg (3.82 MB, 1960x2614)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
>>8915530
>>
File: 20220515_051510.jpg (1.18 MB, 2264x1868)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>8899178

On that note, been hooking up my Retroid Pocket 2+ with Kodi to stream myself some Toonami Aftermath via it's plugin. Had a blast watching Interstella 5555 last Saturday with other folks through it.
>>
>>8911997
>First screen to be able to do 4k 144hz
The games we discuss on this board don't support 4k 144hz so it's a moot point.
>>
>any CRT on second hand places are now being sold upwards of 100 dollarydoos because they're RETRO GAMING TV
fucking HELL
>>
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""like new""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>8915450
>does both 15 and 31khz
HDCRTs usually aren’t very good because of lag
>>
>>8915628
Shit scaling is the real problem.
>>
What do people recommend table wise for a 112lb crt?
>>
>>8915631
Scaling?
It’s a CRT, why would you need to worry about scaling, every resolution is native
>>
>>8915675
HDTVs use digital processing. That's what causes the lag. The tube has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>8915529
>>8915530
>>8915535
wait how does that work? you just move it on its side and it works?
>>
>>8915779
yep they had the technology that phones and ipads had iirc.
>>
>>8915628
It’s not an HD CRT. It an industrial monitor. It natively processes anything from 240p to 800x600 without scaling, just like BVMs do.
>>
>>8915930
At 29”?
I assumed it was a consumer set for that size
Lucky, must weigh a ton then
>>
>>8915779
Not always, some TV's don't have the physical support to do it
Also sometimes when they turn they need degaussing
>>
>>8915930
Just like VGA monitors do too. Too many people overlook VGA monitors when at the best of times, they can be just as good as some BVMs, if not better.
>>
>>8913494
"Weirdly enough," as in, they are both identical models of the same TV found on the sidewalk in front of totally different houses on totally different dates. Both work perfectly.
>>
>>8901628
Go to the CRT section on the console mods wiki.
>>
>>8915628
You do realize Multiscan monitors that did both 15 and 31kHz were pretty common back in the day when computers other than PC and Apple where a thing? They were fully analog.
>>
>>8899178
Based Sonic OVA enjoyer. I ought to pop the VHS tape in and give it a rewatch
>>
>>8899482
>>8899531
Some friends and I did this once, but not with splitters. We just made a bunch of bootleg copies of Cowboy Bebop on VHS, hooked up like eight VCRs to their respective TVs, and watched the entire series at the same time in like an hour. The only audio you could make out the whole time were the intros and end credits, it was completely unwatchable but a lot of fun
>>
>>8913345
>Even better if the tape is all fucked up and glitches while I'm watching it, because that's prime sampling material.
Any chance you've got any tips for achieving effects in that way? A friend and I got real into doing that sort of thing with tapes, trying to achieve both visual and audio effects. We've tried some real outlandish shit, but nothing we ever tried ended up being that impressive outside of the usual crunching up the tape itself or generational degradation
>>
>>8916778
They weren’t common at all, especially at that size which I l ready replied to
Those monitors have multiple boards inside
>>
>>8916837
At that size maybe, but otherwise no, they were cheaply built crap on a single PCB.
>>
>>8916115
Like 130lb

>>8916331
VGA only do 31khz though. You can push 240p at like 240hz though, but it can’t be done on original hardware.
>>
File: 1645130566587.jpg (52 KB, 800x450)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>Go for a walk
>Find a Sony Triniton lying in a street in the middle of nowhere (boomer small town), seems in good condition
>Go back for the car and come back 5 minutes later
>It's gone
Worst thing is that I know it's probably some 70 yr old boomer the one who got it to watch some western films on tv
>>
>>8917127
>VGA only do 31khz though. You can push 240p at like 240hz though, but it can’t be done on original hardware
Of course it can, you just need a line doubler, it's even analog, no added latency.
>>
>>8917842
>Worst thing is that I know it's probably some 70 yr old boomer the one who got it to watch some western films on tv
Good for them, based
you sound like a bitch anyways
>>
>>8917842
>it's probably some 70 yr old boomer the one who got it to watch some western films on tv
Nope, some fucking bum took it only to destroy it and get some copper wire from inside.
I've witnessed something like that in the past and it still haunts me to this day. I don't even know if the TV worked, but I could've saved it and I didn't.
>>
>>8917851
If you linedouble it, it becomes 480p, and you lose the Scanline effect. What I’m saying is that a 31khz VGA crt monitor can output 240p with real scanlines at the right frequency. You can output this with retroarch, a MISTer, or a raspberry pi with an analog video hat.
The only downside is that you have to use black frame insertion, otherwise it looks weird in motion.
>>
>>8915779
>>8916217

Pretty much, IIRC reading Sony Trinitrons have degaussing during powering the TV on.
>>
Would getting a CRT improve the image quality of my PS2? Right now it's component into a HDTV and it looks awful
>>
>>8918502
absolutely
>>
File: crttv.png (842 KB, 749x556)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
Is she a good deal?
>panasonic
>14 inch
>49 USD / 70 AUD
>>
>>8918502
Yeah, PS2 games look amazing on a CRT, especially with RGB or component. If you've never seen it, man, you're missing out.

>>8918546
>49 USD
ow the edge
How dried up is your area? You'd pay no more than 10 for that where I live. Does it even have RGB/component inputs?
>>
>>8918774
I've got shit all for results, the others are giant CRTs sold by boomers going "$300 I know what I have no low ballers"
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-tvs/brisbane/crt/k0c21115l3005721r10
>>
>>8918502
it absolutely will, especially if you find a crt with rgb scart inputs. i just got my crt on sunday (>>8911540 is me) and people aren't exaggerating even slightly when they say pictures don't do crt justice. it's amazing playing on this thing, despite it only being a 14", and it just looks how the ps2 it supposed to look imo.
the only acceptable choice for ps2 into a modern tv is either a gsb-c (which you need to solder/build yourself because the dev recently said on twitter that making the pre-built aio kits is no longer viable for him), or a retrotink 5x pro (which will run you $300, or will be a bitch to find if you're outside of the usa). anything else that doesn't add input lag (like the rad2x or retrotink 2x) will work but still look like shit. all the scalers like the portta, hyperkin, levelhike etc. will all look ghastly and add input lag. i've been through all this myself recently; just save yourself both the time/hassle and get a crt.
>>
>>8918546
if it works and has decent inputs (RGB SCART) then yeah desu. people here will call you retarded for paying because they all find hundreds of CRTs on their daily drives (apparently), but if you just want a screen to actually use right now then pay for it. who gives a fuck. better than spending your time staring at marketplace/craigslist or whatever
>>
>>8918776
no way i would pay 70 m8. i got lucky on marketplace and got a trinitron on for 20 bucks. i live in the country too and havn't seen one for sale for ages either
>>
>>8918502
Even composhit into a low-res CRT TV will look and, more importantly, play much better. The HDTV will feel sluggish in comparison.
>>
>>8918776
Usually searching for "crt" isn't a good idea because most people don't put it in the name of the offer unless "they know what they have", but even looking just in the general TV category there's barely anything. Maybe you could look around on Facebook, too. I feel sorry for you, anon.
In comparison, here's my city + 50km. I filtered out LCDs, OLEDs, etc., so it's all CRTs, remotes and other accessories that didn't fit into any other category:
https://www.olx.pl/d/elektronika/tv/telewizory/krakow/?search%5Bdist%5D=50&search%5Border%5D=filter_float_price:asc&search%5Bfilter_enum_type%5D%5B0%5D=pozostale
1 zł (PLN) ~ 0.32 AUD
>>
>load up polish site
>have a stroke
Thanks though
>>
>>8918835
I don't particularly like it either, but it's what we have to live with and it works well enough when needed.
>>
Is RGB the same as the yellow white and red cables? Are they better or worse than component?
>>
>large trinitron for 250
Maybe bros...
>>
>>8918879
yellow white red is composite and it's considered lower quality but is still perfectly fine as long as you have a CRT
>>
>>8918546
no, where you at mate?
fb marketplace has better deals search old television as well
>>
>>8919121
I'm in Brisbane, there's a guy in West End that seems to be selling a shit load though so I'll check him out too
>>
>>8919124
Theres a 29" Trini there, but it's 250, see if you can get it down in price
>>
>>8916830
Personally, I feel like a lot of the usefulness depends on the particular glitch. Most artifact sounds can be used as fills or as a part of a song section transition pretty pretty easily. Other sounds work better if you sample a particular fragment, assign it to a keyboard, tweak the ADSR, and play it like an instrument. Reverb helps. I personally like TAL Sampler for tweaking nonmusical sounds into instruments.

Also, if you ever want to produce a glitch but don't really care about the tape, just give your VCR a medium thwack.
>>
>>8918879
Zoomer moment
>>
File: 20220517_151622.jpg (3.21 MB, 4032x3024)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
Heh.... I want it but I'm broke. I don't know much about crts, but I at least tried out its dvd player and the picture was good.
>>
>>8919398
Ayyyy that's literally the same model CRT as mine. It's pretty comfy and the only draw back after tweaking it in the repair menu is that I'll have to do a yoke adjustment on it when I'm feeling ballsy.

Keep in mind this though. I got mine off of street corner for free. Keep looking. You'll find a good one.
>>
>>8918123
>If you linedouble it, it becomes 480p, and you lose the Scanline effect.
You don't. VGA CRTs are sharp, you can easily see scanlines at 480p.
Not that that's a desirable thing, it ruins the picture. Nobody with a brain wants big black lines between their graphics.

>What I’m saying is that a 31khz VGA crt monitor can output 240p with real scanlines at the right frequency.
It can, at double the frequency of a 15kHz monitor.

>You can output this with retroarch, a MISTer, or a raspberry pi with an analog video hat.
And then you'd have to use BFI or you get horrible double images thanks to running 60Hz content at 120Hz.

>The only downside is that you have to use black frame insertion, otherwise it looks weird in motion.
That's what I get for not reading to the end, correct.
>>
>>8918123
When using black frame insertion, RA slows downs like crazy.
>>
>>8919839
You have it setup wrong, you’ve probably still got it set to 60fps
>>
>>8919398
nice one
i want one but id be scared of wearing out the dvd part & never actually watch anything
>>
>>8919839
Works fine for me but it's pretty dumb, just use a real 15kHz monitor or do 480p, you can use a filter if you fell for the retarded scanline meme.
>>
File: IMG_20220425_183305.jpg (1.71 MB, 4179x2628)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>8899178
wait you guys still use crts?
>>
File: IMG_20220327_220511.jpg (84 KB, 1101x457)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
anyways, this cool thing i found playing saturn games on my flatscreen trinitron
>>
>>8920627
Yeah, once latency, motion and filters on modern displays get to the same level as CRTs, they will become a viable option for me if I can't get or use a real CRT for some reason.
>>
File: file.png (300 KB, 1000x1000)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
Previously on blogposting: Anon tries and fails to acquire a HDMI to YPbPr transcoder from China for months.

I've received my two orders, they're the exact same board as >>8831425. Tested them with GroovyArcade, one seems to be faulty bending the image at the top trying to achieve 1280x480i, but both fail at super res 240p with warped image and fucked up colors. The faulty one is from Aliexpress (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003359740104.html) but for its credit it actually came in a cardboard box with a power supply, the partially working one is from Shopee, which I don't think ships to US and EU, and came bare in a plastic bag with only an USB to DC cable. Tested them with a TV stick and an LCD display and they were up to spec, so it seems these aren't reliable for 240p anymore.
>>
Where can I find a crt computer monitor anymore? Only two show up in CL and I live in Chicago. And those cost like $150. How do you people find buildings tossing out old tech? If I put a “I’ll buy your old computer equipemnt**” posts on Craigslist will it work? Does anyone use FB marketplace?
>>
>>8921131
Another anon in this thread suggested asking family. Making connections locally seems like the best way cuz the internet is full of people trying to scam you and even the normies are starting to catch on.
>>
Which brands are generally considered good regardless of model? I figure probably Sony, but what else? Trying to snag something from craigslist but nobody ever lists model names.
>>
>>8921139
I wish. Most of my family is tech illiterate immigrants from Ireland in the 50s. My grandma is 88 and I don’t think has ever used a computer a day in her life.
>>
>>8921143
Sony, Mitsubisihi, JVC, Panasonic, B&O, Ilyama, ViewSonic, and Sun come to mind. The last three brands are for computer monitors, though.
>>
File: 20220518_174643.jpg (2.44 MB, 2992x2992)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>8914035
I like it, this is the GameCube mega collection though
>>8905585
Mine does this too. It's really noticeable in emerald hill, depending on what's on screen the stage tiles will become way more orange than yellow. And the hog himself will turn a deeper blue. Can anyone explain?

This is a Trinitron kv-1396r I got from a relative. Had it sitting around for a few years, but recently I've been running it off a homebrewed wii with emulators.

Sadly this thing hisses like a motherfucker, so it's hard to convince anyone who isn't into retro to use it. Has anyone here swapped a flyback transformer? I watched some YouTube about it but I'm nervous about harm to me or the TV lol. Thinking about just trying some nail varnish and seeing if that helps.
>>
Should I even bother getting a CRT that doesn't have component?
>>
>>8921539
It's because, with composite, the color frequencies interact with each other.
>>
>>8921542
Does it have s-video? If not, no.
>>
>>8921542
rgb scart goes hard fr no kizmo on a stack
>>
>>8921578
yo fr no cap poggers?
>>
>>8921580
on god fr PagMan
>>
If I softmod my PS2 so it plays NTSC versions of games will that mean I have the full experience even on a PAL CRT?
>>
File: boomerunit.png (964 KB, 720x960)
964 KB
964 KB PNG
in awe of the size of this lad
>>
>>8921762
Not a CRT.
>>8921794
>obesed
Got fat on the brain, stupid?
>>
>>8921827
But that is crash team racing
>>
>>8921643
In short, yes, you should be OK.
Even if your console itself is PAL, the PS2 outputs standard NTSC when playing an NTSC game (or a PAL game in 60Hz mode, there's no PAL60 here).
NTSC compatibility varies among PAL CRTs, most newer ones (from the 90s+) don't have a problem with it. But this only matters if you're using composite, and you of course don't wanna do that.
If you've got a PAL CRT, you probably have an RGB SCART input, so just use that and you should be OK as color encoding doesn't matter with RGB (because there's no encoding going on at all).
There are some TVs that don't accept a 60Hz signal at all, even via RGB, but there's very few of them. One anon here has a Nokia TV that only does 50Hz, for example. Don't be misled by the mains voltage and frequency rating on the back of the TV (something like 220-240V 50Hz), it doesn't tell anything about the TV's capabilities.
>>
>>8903685
>>8903704
What game is that? Sorry I’m retarded
>>
>>8921901
Shock Troopers I believe
>>
>>8899252
Symbol on the right looks like a little bird sticking his tongue out :)
>>
>tfw no space for big boy crts
>>
>>8921643
Depends what kind of connection you have and if your CRT accepts ntsc colour
>>
>finally got a crt
>experienced PS2 on a CRT
OH GOD THE SOUL I CAN'T HANDLE IT
>>
Saw this cable labeled for some nvidea graphics cards and was curious, does anybody know which cards this is for and what it’s capable of /vr/ wise?
>>
>>8922514
that's a 9 pin din port
looks like it's for a very old card
>>
>>8921152
Thanks. There is a JVC listed now. Might go for it.
>>
>>8922521
Found the pinout which seems obvious enough, but I’m not sure of the software capability.
>>
File: PXL_20220515_093908961.jpg (2.53 MB, 4032x3024)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
got this little 14" back from my friend. the picture quality is phenomenal, plus it has component inputs, but the screen has some weird wobbles that i doubt are fixable. ive done the best i can to correct it in the service menu, but it's still noticable. ill try to get a good shot of it soon
>>
If I already have a good composite CRT is component a big enough upgrade for an entire new TV?
>>
>>8922523
What local listing site do you use?
>>
File: IMG-0117.jpg (2.1 MB, 4032x3024)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>8922531
and one more vanity shot
>>
>>8922536
i don't think so personally but it might be fun to have the option if you have the room for it
>>
>>8922531
what do you mean by wobbles?
could be a vertical hold issue
>>
>>8922540
smoll
>>
>>8922536
What system(s) and what size screen? My opinion is 3D games need a big screen and 2D games need good geometry. Improved signal quality always helps but is less important.
>>
>>8922249
so fucking good innit mate? can't wait to try some older consoles as well
>>
>>8922249
ps2 on crt is pretty shitty, ill even say its worst than the n64
>>
>>8923004
?
>>
I've got a lead on what could be a goldmine of PVMs, so obviously I'm hoping to get as many as possible for as cheap as possible. I only really need one for myself, and I was even calling around with less budget in mind and not expecting such a find, but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to get multiple high end grails to flip for a modest finder's fee (I'd feel bad selling them for thousands of dollars like some do), so I can't just play like I'm just a humble gamer looking for only 1 PVM/BVM for myself if I want to take their entire stock.

I've thought about grabbing some "for parts" since it sounds like they have multiple of the same model or similar models (which isn't entirely untrue, if I couldn't find a buyer I'd just use the spares for parts). I'm just hoping not to clue in the place that they're worth thousands of dollars to the right people (we haven't discussed price yet, if they even want me to pay something at all).

I think the best way to handle this is just say I'm a hobbyist looking for a few of their PVMs/BVMs for myself for both my own use and parts and not reveal that I'd have enough money on deck to pay what these are really worth. If they do know their worth, I might be able to talk them down if I ask to test them and be nitpicky about 240p test suite results (which I doubt would be perfect without some tweaking) to hopefully bring them down. Honestly, I'm probably overthinking it and they'll just hand 'em to me for a modest fee for their time and energy to help me.

TLDR - what are your haggling tactics?
>>
>>8923168
The thing about this, is to sell a grail for THAT much, you need a few things going for you and very few against you. A few notes:

- Knowing where to post within the subcultures/communities - most likely this place with them has Boomers who don't know what 4chan and Discord are to cross-promote your listing. Some of these high rollers only buy from people established in the community for that kind of money. If they tell you "I want 2 grand for this because eBay says they're worth that much" - you simply reply "That was 2 grand for one in unusually good condition that was probably tore down and refurbished by a professional, you're paying for their time at that point more than for the PVM itself and I'm buying these as-is". Which at this point is 100% true, the only reason some of these grails even work now is because someone's time and expertise was put into it, not necessarily its rarity.

- Find literally anything wrong with it as a knock against high-ball asking prices. I doubt you're buying from someone who is even going to be a high baller if they have em collecting dust somewhere in a backroom like it sounds, but still

- Just be nice and courteous, if it's a place of business be mindful of their time and try to respect they may be spending their lunch break to be with you
>>
>>8921762
Rear projection tv correct? I had one of those in the early to mid 2000s. My dad burned it out because his old ass thought he turned off the tv but in actually he only turned off the direct tv box, so the tv was on straight for a whole year and gave out. Crazy part is: CostCo still let us return it. Gaming on it was fun, xbox ps2 and gamecube.
>>
>>8923319
I shouldve mentioned the screen displayed black and not that grey and white snow.
>>
>>8922562
PS1 and 2, also planning to get a Dreamcast soon.
What happened was
>message a guy early in the day if he had any component CRTs
>he said nah
>spend the next few hours finding just any CRT
>buy a CRT that has composite
>about an hour after I bring it home the first guy says he has a component one in stock
>>
>>8923319
We had one too in the 2000's, I remember the picture being so shit but kinda made up for it with being so big. Was a fun TV.
I wonder if you could turn it into a normal projector, they are given away for free these days and motion wasn't all that bad, the bad thing was the shit contrast and the bad uniformity in the corners.
>>
>>8923325
why would you play the dc on crt, it looks lile shit, get a vga cable
>>
>>8923006
the blurr and the filters. makes some games unplayable, like mgs3
>>
>>8923460
i have the opposite experience. mgs3 looks like shit on my pc monitor. shimmering blurry mess. but it looks crisp on my basic-ass CRT with the natural AA you get from it
>>
>>8923325
Absolutely, go for it. The difference in quality is night and day, you'll never want to look at composite again.
>>
>>8923460
Sounds like you need to adjust your sharpness settings, anon. PS2 on a crt via component looks great.
>>
>>8923479
>>8923508
its just the ps2 that sucks ass, it has bad res and blur and shit. and scart is better
>>
>>8921125
Hey, I'm the anon who got 240p output with that adapter. Post hardware, .xprofile, modelines, etc. and let's see what we can do.
>>
I'm getting some ghosting where the text seems to be blurring to the right a bit. Based on some quick reading it sounds like it might be my cables? It's currently a VGA cable to a DVI adapter, to my GPU. Should I try replacing one, or both? I guess the VGA cable could be junk as I got whatever basic one staples had. Also any potential settings to adjust?
>>
>>8922514
Thats a video out adaptor for laptops with GeForce cards. My Inspiron 9300 has one of those
>>
>>8923524
It’s the signal reflecting back and forth inside the cable, sending a duplicate image a few microseconds at a time with diminishing power. This is always happening, but with a good cable the rebound signal is so weak that it isn’t displayed. So the issue is a bad cable, or the brightness is way too high and it’s displaying the weak rebound signal that it shouldn’t, or most likely a combination of both
>>
>>8923625
Thanks anon.
>>
>>8923521
Based, I'd love to see 240p working too with that adapter, tho I'm a PALtard myself
>>
I’m just looking for a basic XGA monitor and all I find are fags selling “crt monitor” for $150+ . Some are just VGA some are just SVGA. Nobody posts any details about the item other than GAMING CRT RETRO. And yes I know. Search for “old computer monitor” or “tube tv” but even those are becoming high priced listings
>>
File: 240p_castlevania.jpg (1.19 MB, 2000x1500)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>8923662
Oh, it can work alright (I took picrel some minutes ago, the only changes to my setup are my desktop environment, previously I used MATE, now I'm using Budgie, still on xorg. Ah, and now I'm using a component switcher). BUt for what the other anon tells... it's really inconsistent. And an inconsistent solution is hardly a solution at all. Shame us ntscfags don't have the ease of using a display port to RGB SCART adapter like you palbros do.
>>
>>8924121
Thanks for the into, it's nice to see that's it's so close to perfection, I'm sure it can be fixed, even though I don't know how to help, I don't have the same adapter.
>>
>>8923519
PS2 games look as sharp as my nipples on a brisk winter's morn' using RGB SHART with my 900TVL broadcast monitor. I think it's your setup that sucks ass.
>>
>>8903534
Is there not a setting that lets you rotate the picture to set it upright again? I know there was one on my Trinitrons and D-Series. What kind of TV do you have?
>>
>>8924276
then show instead of talking abour ur nipples
>>
>>8924298
Just massage them a little, I'll take a picture then
>>
>>8924298
show nipples too though
>>
>>8924306
>>8924307
>toddler humour
ps2fags are really something else
>>
Are black areas on CRT supposed to be absolutely absurdly black to the point I can't see shit in a dark spot?
>>
>>8924736
No
>>
boys...I got a lemon
I should've listened and been patient
>>
File: sanandreastv.jpg (3.06 MB, 4032x3024)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>8922249
Yeah, there's nothing else quite like it.
>>8923508
I run my PS2 on a cheap composite setup and it doesn't look too bad.
>>
>>8924823
>doesn't look too bad.
>blurry mess
>>
>>8924823
I mean, you can’t really show an interlaced image in a still
>>
>>8921552
Thanks. I kind of like it, it's trippy.
>>
>>8899409
90% sure that the symbol on the right is color image signal, and the one on the left means horizontal sync, or blanking according to your pin out chart. What is it?
>>
>>8924823
nice image ruined by anime shit
>>
>>8925330
I'm pretty sure it's tied to pin 8
>>
>>8924523
show cock you little faggot
>>
So I got this Dell P992. It's in great condition and the image quality is very good, almost new even. The guy I bought it from says he was the original owner and never opened it or did any kind of cleaning. What kind of preventative maintenance should I do, if any?
>>
>>8925373
>What kind of preventative maintenance should I do, if any?
full glass of water into the vents
make sure it's plugged in
>>
>>8925335
Go back 16er
>>
File: 1652486451613.gif (704 KB, 320x240)
704 KB
704 KB GIF
>>8925375
Wow great tip anon. Does it have to be tap water or can I substitute Mtn Dew?
>>
>>8925398
Use ice water so your monitor becomes cold and performs better
>>
Do I add the transmitter and the set weight to get the total weight? Looking at a manual but it is not very clear. I am trying to see if I need to have someone help me go pick up and HD crt.
>>
>>8925468
Disregard, I just noticed the transmitter is in grams, not kilograms. The difference either way is fairly negligible.
>>
>>8921152
Craigslist free stuff. I picked up the
JVC. Same as this guy's >>8901628 but 21". Looks great just needs a little cleaning.
>>
>>8925534
meant to tag >>8922539
>>
Would the Samsung LA22A450C1 be good for PS2? It has component, but it also has HDMI so I'm not sure.
>>
>>8925619
>>
Does the whole "bro just email a school or hospital" shit actually work? It feels like when boomers would say "just ask to speak to the CEO and give him a firm handshake"
>>
>>8925630
They’re all gone from the businesses. It was true up to a couple years ago, but by now the likelihood of them having been scrapped is very high. There are still some mass storage warehouses that are full of them, mostly in places like California where movie production called for such huge volumes. I for one found mine in the garage of an old photo/film editor guy who was getting rid of his old junk. I went for one monitor and found he had more that he didn’t realize would be of any value. Guys like that still exist and sometimes put up ads but they are also getting scarcer. The funny thing is nowadays it seems you are more likely to find a guy who did strike gold with a hospital/studio years ago and bought way more than he should have, and now he’s giving them away after they’ve sat unused in his room.
>>
>>8925629
you're right it's complete dogshit
>>
what's the perfect CRT distance?
>>
My 20M2MDE has developed a problem today.
Turning it on, everything comes up in shades of red, like a Virtual Boy. 2 minutes later it'll eventually change to yellow, and then be fully normal.
If I turn it back on after an hour or so, it seems to be fine, but if I leave it for 8 or so hours, it develops the problem again. I'm guessing it has something to do with the capacitors.
I'd take a photo of it, but I don't want turn it on again and risk exacerbating the problem.
>>
>>8925884
just use the standard distance to screen size chart and sit like 1ft closer. burn your god damn retinas you bitch
>>
Hahahahaha
>>
I found the perfect tv for light gun games
I have 5 tvs and light gun is only accurate on the one tv.
>>
>>8925373
Clean everything with rubbing alcohol,water, compressed air and towels.
>>
File: philips.jpg (3.26 MB, 2804x2268)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
Older guy at my work had an old CRT he was going to take to be destroyed, but our work wouldn't take it for disposal - I'm not sure exactly how good a Philips 107S is, but I'm happy I saved it from annihilation.
This monitor is displaying at 640x480 and using the LightFrame setting. It introduces a lot of this weird smearing, but I kind of like it.
>>
>>8902831
you cant connect 15khz console to 31khz Monitor, buy a 15khz Monitor or mod a TV
>>
Doesn't displaying 240p content cause uneven phosphor degradation? What happens if you want to watch 480p content but every other line is now half as bright?
>>
File: 1643572706173.gif (1.64 MB, 540x405)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB GIF
>>8927771
Technically yes, but your looking at years of 240p before it becomes a significant issue.
Never seen it happen online
>>
>>8922531
>>8922540
>14" set with component input
Mirin hard!
>>
>>8927405
GM street fighter III characters nice. What is the BG?
>>
>6 hour return trip for a $60 large trinny with component
>no car
>>
>>8925335
Thanks, but the clock is staying on the wall.
>>
Would HD into composite look good or awful? I want to display more stuff on my CRT but I need some kind of HD to composite converter.
>>
>>8929030

It's only 15$ at Walmart to get an Onn HDMI to RCA converter. That's what I got for my setup with MEDNEFEN and other emulators. Keep in mind most of those units do some rather fucky scaling to the image if your settings on the device isn't just right. And mine refuses to output at any signal other than 1920x1080p without the overscan getting fucked up.

I resolved to have my PC output at 1440x1080p with a full screen stretch.

It works pretty nice. Haven't used the converter on anything else other than my PC. Worth the 15 bucks to try it imo.
>>
I have a CRT in front of me and i want to get rid of it to get me a flat screen.
>>
>>8927912
looks like breath of the wild?
>>
>>8930067
Then do it?
Not sure why you’d think we care what you do
>>
>>8929030
I bought one of those generic chink "HDMI to AV" converters and the quality is decent. Just keep in mind that they're going to output 480i instead of 240p, so not really suitable for emulating anything before 6th gen, but great for old anime and tv shows.
>>
How much should I pay for a 27 inch Trinny?
>>
>>8931036
Entirely dependent on the model, condition, and picture quality.
>>
>>8931036
Free-$20 range
>>
>>8929420
you plugged a $15 chinese device into your gaming pc?

not a smart move
>>
File: IMG_20220521_190627649.jpg (2.49 MB, 3264x2448)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>8899178
What is the best device for retroarch up to PS1? I would like to use component but I really don't know what devices can hook up to this thing without lag city. I don't know, some options would be nice.
>>
>>8931464
Unironically the Wii. Unless you mean up to and including PS1.
>>
>>8931480
I want ps1, I play allot of PS1 on my shield and PC. I have a setup that syncs all my saves. I really think PS1 games would benefit from the wega.
>>
File: IMG_20210529_175004.jpg (2.1 MB, 3840x2160)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
Playing PSX games on CRT is just awesome.
>>
>>8921125
>>8923521
Disregard that, I suck cocks. I've been using GroovyArcade which sets up almost everything automatically, but for some reason that converter broke its scripting and it failed to set boot parameters, switchres.ini or GroovyMame correctly. Now that I've filled these in based on my previous install with the VGA transcoder it's working, 2560 wide and everything, so your TV probably dislikes higher resolutions indeed. Haven't been able to get audio out, maybe this cheap DVI to HDMI adapter isn't wired correctly.
>>
>>8931485
PSP is a pretty good PS1 machine. You could hook it up via component and get real 240p. Although you’d be limited by what it is on PS Classics.
>>
>>8931929
Also it’d need to be a PSP Go if you want to hook it up to a DualShock.
>>
>>8930347

I'm just venting that i'm poor.
>>
File: IMG_20220521_220530514.jpg (1.61 MB, 3264x2448)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>8931929
What can I do with this thing and a CRT?
>>
>>8931832
>Haven't been able to get audio out, maybe this cheap DVI to HDMI adapter isn't wired correctly.
Are you sure that your GPU outputs audio via DVI? It's not a part of the standard and I think there aren't many devices that support it.
>>
>>8932002
I assume it does as it lists two Intel audio devices.
>>
>>8931953
I’m not sure what that is but if it outputs HDMI you could try one of the cheap HDMI to component converters out there. It probably won’t make the cleanest picture but if you try it out and like how it looks then fuck it.
>>
>>8932065
isn't it a game and watch?
>>
>>8932065
retriod pocket 2plus. I was thinking about getting a HDMI to svideo.device. Seems like that would be the best option? idk.
>>
>>8931463
>plugs Chinese video adapter into Chinese computer via a Chinese cable

Either rope yourself or fuck back off to /pol/.
>>
>>8931506
What model?
>>
>>8930067
what consoles? you might want to hang on to it. if you don't have any consoles pick one you like and get some $10 common games for it that are actually good. like tetris
>>
>>8932391
CP2121T, Hitachi, but the CRT inside is a Philips Black Matrix. I was really lucky with that one, and it's the one I use today.
>>
I don't have the time to dig through scrap or comb through ads. What are some cheapish small sized CRTs that I can get off Ebay, and they're relatively common?
>>
>>8932568
Honestly its best to look at what you can pick up locally if you want something cheap. You’re going to pay out the ass for shipping even a small CRT. They’re heavy.
>>
>>8932568
Seriously, anything you find will be great. You don't have to be that guy who hunts down a mint condition Trinitron or an RGB monitor. The whole point of retro gaming is nostalgia, and nearly every person who grew up with a NES, SNES, or N64 played it on their parents' regular old CRT. Imperfections are part of the charm. In my town you can still find them for free just sitting on the sidewalk sometimes, and if not, 99.99% of the people out there will pay YOU to take it away. Don't go spend $200 just to ship a gigantic CRT to you when you can definitely find one local for free.
>>
>>8933108
>>8933575
I literally just said I'm not digging around for a CRTI'd rather pay $20 for shipping than waste hours or days of my life doing this shit.
>>
>>8899178
I get movies in bluray quality and convert them to 576i and to a m2ts file, without too much compression, then I play them on my PS3. Video goes through RGB to the CRT, audio goes through optical into a headphone dac/amp.
>>
>>8931506
Yep, PS2 is the best for that imo because you get 240p + digital audio out.
>>
File: panastatic.jpg (143 KB, 810x926)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>8932568
panasonic ct13r, comes in black white or silver
or spend more and get a 14" pvm
>>
>>8934021
You're going to spend $100 on shipping, you dumbass. They weigh 80 pounds.
>>
>>8934570
>80 pounds
A small TV wouldn't weigh nearly that much. A 20 inch BVM only weighs about 75lbs and those things have shells made of powder coated steel.
>>
>>8934075
I do this but I stream the blu ray quality mkv file to the ps3 and let ffmpeg and the ps3 figure out scaling. Sometimes I help the ps3 out with audio because it has limited compatibility
>>
File: PXL_20210427_172828956.jpg (1.45 MB, 4032x3024)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>8934092
Nah I just play on a Raspberry Pi connected via RGB SCART with retroarch, it allows me to play with achievements, online and with community hi scores and leaderboards. Also, it has input lag reduction.
>>
>>8934894
horrible

i have the 3b+ and all it does is overheat after 30-40 minutes, cant even run dodonpachi without the temp warning

also the GAMES ARE THE WRONG SPEED
what is the point of "preserving" arcade titles if they're mangled shit
>>
sasha grey on crt looks awesome

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.