[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mupen64-logo.png (81 KB, 460x460)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
Can we finally lay the "N64 emulation sucks" meme to rest? Both Project64 and Mupen64Plus can now play just about every N64 game with few to no problems, and virtually all game-breaking issues have been fixed. All you need are the Parallel plugins and you're good to go.

You do need Vulkan support for the plugin to work, but almost every GPU made since around 2012 (that would be everything after and including the HD 7000 series for AMD and GeForce 600 series for Nvidia) has it. Of course, if you're stuck with Intel graphics, you need at least a Skylake processor, but them's the breaks. And if you're still stuck on pre-Vulkan support hardware, GLideN64 is almost as compatible, if not as accurate.

Is it "perfect"? No, there's still some minor issues lingering here and there, but overall, I'd say we're at around Snes9x levels of accuracy and compatibility, and almost no one says that emulator sucks.
>>
Isn't one of these malware?
>>
>>8520860
Project64 used to bundle some in its installer back in like 2014, until everyone rightfully threw a shitfit over it. Now it just nags you to donate every time you open it. It's a shame, because the emulator itself is decent, just held back by its scumbag devs.
>>
Not until it works out of the box with no fiddling with plugins and other settings, and not until the "few to no issues" becomes "no issues" until then the only thing N64 emulation is good for is playing romhacks that run like shit on real hardware.
>>
>>8520878
I never used any plug-ins and I could play all 60 or so roms I downloaded
>>
>>8520878
Anon, some level of fiddling will always be necessary because that's the nature of software developed for PC. No two peoples' hardware/OS/driver configuration is alike, and sometimes it becomes necessary to adjust and tune for certain things. If something works for you as soon as you double-click the .exe and load a game, great, you hit the jackpot. If not, well, options to fiddle with are necessary for such situations.

That said, as long as you have Vulkan support, plugin fiddling is officially a thing of the past.
>>
>>8520884
You have fun with that. I'll be playing the real deal without any of the jarring graphical hickups and sound crackles and improper effects.
>>
>>8520878
the real hardware requires all these add-ons though to play everything without issues. We shouldn't play on that either until Nintendo releases an N64 that can play all games out of the box.
>>
>>8520892
The Parallel plugin looks exactly like the real N64 and renders all graphics and effects just like real hardware would, so that's moot. As for sound, that may be a plugin-dependent issue still on Project64, but Mupen works quite well from everything I've tried.
>>
>>8520893
What are you even saying?
>>
>>8520901
>so that's moot
Nah bro, that's Hiro now.
>>
>>8520892
I have a real n64 and about 50 cartridges, haven't used emulators in a while, I'm talking about from 2012 or so
>>
>>8520875
Any reason why Project64 was never a core on Librertro?
>>
>>8520973
In a nutshell, it's heavily tied to Windows and its interface, and would take a lot of work to decouple its emulation core from those things for it to work with libretro, at least in a portable manner.

Anyway, it's not worth it now. Mupen64Plus is just as good these days, so no point.
>>
>>8520985
It's weird because I remember playing on PJ64 over a decade ago and it was flawless for the games I ran
Mupen was just such a downgrade compared to it
But I'm glad that it's gotten better
>>
>>8521002
Yeah, back then the best emulator and plugin combination was Project64 with Glide64. You could play the majority of the well-known popular games reasonably well with those. Mupen was less compatible and far more obtuse, so only Linuxfags bothered with it.
>>
On the topic, RetroArch has support for high res textures it seems but where do you place them in order for it to read it?
>>
>>8520973
The correct question should be: Libretro matter?
>>
>>8521028
https://evilgames.eu/texture-packs/oot-reloaded.htm

>HTS file goes to: RetroArch/system/Mupen64plus/cache
>Set Use High-Res textures to True
>Set Use High-Res Full Alpha Channel to True
>Set Use enhanced Hi-Res Storage to True
>Set Continuous texrect coords to Auto
>>
>>8520875
not anymore last I checked. then again I havent updated to 3.0 yet so I cant confirm. I heard they got rid of the donation shit completely.
>>
>>8521142
It was still there in the last nightly build I tried.

There's this installer, though, which comes with a launcher. Not sure if it gets rid of the nag message, but it installs every worthwhile plugin:

https://github.com/Rosalie241/BetterMajorasMaskInstaller/releases

It also installs some HD texture packs, but you can opt out of those. Good thing, too, because they're massive.
>>
>>8520875
You can bypass the nagging by editing a text file in PJ64's root, or by entering the donation key which is something along the lines of 'Thanks from Project64' or something (but not that exactly, I don't know what the exact phrase is)
>>
>>8521158
Ill have to check this out, thanks, anon.
>>
>>8520893
You have no idea that you're talking about
>>
>>8520856
What's the difference between mupen64plus and m64p? I'm using the latter which has a final build using gliden64
>>
>>8521393
m64p is just Mupen64Plus with a GUI and some additional tweaks.
>>
>>8521242
That doesnt work anymore they removed the key
>>
>>8521651
So for a potato laptop and a retard like me m64p is probably enough? I'm just gonna play the popular games like zelda and goldeneye anyway.
>>
>>8521740
m64p is the easier option, yes.
>>
>>8521748
Thanks helpful anon.
>>
>>8520856
>N64 emulation sucks
I thought that was just an excuse from snarky retards because N64 ran fullspeed on Pentium 3 shitboxes 20 years ago and they needed a cop-out for why they can't code or get it to run on a fucking PS3
>>
>>8521767
As long as you stuck to the usual fare (i.e. Mario, Zelda, the list goes on...), and used speed-focused emulators like 1964, that was more or less the case. However, as soon as you ventured away into roads less traveled, that is when the problems started. Missing textures, poorly emulated effects, games not booting at all... that was your lot. And it basically stayed that way from around 2005 to 2015, which is why so many people retain the notion of N64 emulation sucking to this day. It stagnated for a very, very long time.
>>
>>8521036
>Libretro matter?
What
>>
File: 1640049940952.gif (1.42 MB, 288x394)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB GIF
>>8521767
woah it's like they worked better on old hardware because they didn't do calculations needed for accurate emulation or something
>>
>>8520856
You're not wrong, but call me when I can emulate DK64 without visual garbage. Inb4
>That game sucks
I wouldn't know because I never wanted to play it with the glitchy video
>>
>>8520856
n64 emulation is fine for most uses be it casual play or development. Saturn is OK for casual play but a nightmare for development.
>>
>>8522576
Works on my Parallel/M64P
>>
>>8522576
Worked on my GlideN64/mupen64 for that matter too.
>>
pretending
>>
>>8520856
Can perfect dark be played well on emu now?
>>
>>8522576
That's been fixed already, anon. It does have a minor issue in that, due to lack of cycle accurate timing, the game does not lag properly in the places where it should, and since the game's physics are tied to the framerate, a few things like the title screen demo don't play exactly like on real hardware, and some exploits used by speedrunners on real hardware don't work.

This is because when the framerate drops, the game is programmed to speed up your character to compensate. The more it lags, the more speed you pick up, and this can be exploited to do things you normally couldn't like clip through walls and floors. But the game runs a bit too well on current emulators, and doesn't lag as much as it should, so some of those things are not possible.

Still, again, it's a minor issue because it does not at all prevent you from playing the game as intended or finishing it.
>>
>>8521036

It do
It do much
>>
>>8522862
As an aside, this is pretty much the final remaining hurdle for "perfect" N64 emulation, and sums up almost all of the remaining issues with games. Some games, particularly quirky or poorly programmed ones, have parts where the emulation is too fast. Body Harvest is fully playable now, but cutscenes appear to play too fast and desync from the music and sound effects from how they would on real hardware. IIRC Goldeneye and others has a similar issue. I think there's an obscure title or two that's actually affected in a definitively negative manner gameplay-wise, but don't quote me on that. Fixing it will probably require cycle accuracy, which only Cen64 has attempted to implement, and that shit's on life support.
>>
now i play it on my vita, shitty n64 emulation forever!
>>
>>8523139
What's it like? Does it play anything other than Mario?
>>
>>8520901
Have they figured out the frame buffer thing entirely yet? If the Jumbotron in Mario kart doesn’t work it’s still not good enough.
>>
>>8523585
LLE plugins don't have to "figure" anything out as long as they accurately emulate how the RDP works, and the current crop do. HLE plugins are a different story, but GLideN64 does a good job of it.
>>
any not64 chads here? recs for game pls
>>
A while ago I saw the Zelda sapceworld guy complain that emulators still couldn't properly emulate some advanced graphic stuff, not even parallei
He made some amazing water stuff in oot but it only worked properly on consoles
>>
>>8523802
That's a bit surprising if true, but then again ParaLLEl's developer even stated there may be stuff technically left to do to 100% emulate the RDP's behavior, but he basically contented himself with it properly emulating stuff that actually came out on console, and less so esoteric edge cases only tapped into by homebrew.

Now, if Angrylion, the reference RDP plugin par excellence, can't do it either, then that's even more surprising.
>>
So does that mean that Body Harvest is finally playable with no glitches?
>>
>>8523742
not64 on wii or gamecube? If gamecube, how the fuck did you get it to work? Does it have to be SP2 or can it be mem slot B?
>>
>>8524032
see >>8522895. Game itself is playable, but the intro cutscene at least plays too fast.
>>
>>
>>8523802
They were using shitty old plugins, someone on twiter asked them about the parallel plugins and they had never heard of it.
>>
>>8523742
Any particular genre? Most of the better N64 games run rather well with Not64, just check the compat list over GBAtemp. emukidid also finally released Wii64 1.3 after so long, whose Rice build can run certain games than Not64, such as DK64 or Beetle Adventure Racing.
>>
>>8520926
herro?
>>
>>8520856
it sucks until it can do the dodrio gameboy tower on pokemon stadium flawlessly
>>
>>8525930
kek should've known that was the case. Leave it to ROM hackers to somehow still act as if Jabo and Glide64 are still the de facto standards.
>>
>>8525989
Huh, seems that's still a sticking point on both emulators. It sort of works on Pokemon Stadium 2 using Project64 apparently, but the first game is fucked either way, it seems.
>>
>>8520856
Do they actually Just Werk now or do you still have to autistically fumble around with a gorillion plugins
>>
>>8526997
The vast majority of games Just Werk™ with either the ParaLLEl plugin if you want the original N64 graphics, or GLideN64 if you want enhancements like widescreen and custom textures. Those are pretty much the only two plugins you need.

This here is as load-ROM-and-play as it gets at the moment:

https://m64p.github.io/
>>
>>8525942
>Emukidid updated Wii64
What the fuck, a decade later?
>>
>>8520856
Have they fixed the shadow bug in Pilotwings 64 yet?
>>
>>8520878
>>8520892
>>8522601
Buyfag cope
>>
>>8527208
Yes.
>>
>>8521767
>N64 ran at incorrect speeds on Pentium 3 shitboxes 20 years
ftfy, the timing was absolute shit and things are still shit honestly. keep your real N64 around please
>>
>>8527410
Most games' timings are not bad enough for it to matter.
>>
File: Glide64_MarioTennis_01.png (423 KB, 1280x960)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
>>
>>8525989
Unironically what I'm waiting on.
>>
>>8527410
Cope and seethe nigger
>>
>>8522602
it's insane how disconnected are retrofags from emulation, n64 in particular
https://archive.org/details/goldeneye-007perfect-dark-1964-mouse-keyboard-60fps
>>
>>8520856
>game-breaking issues in a system's most accurate emulators are okay because a different system's speed-over-accuracy emulator also has them
>>
>>8525989
>>8528969
Why dont you simply emulate the gameboy games, fucking retards.
>>
>>8527025
>tfw my potato laptop has no vulkan support with intel hd 4000
rip
>>
>>8530201
It has "experimental support" on Loonix, whatever that means, but it's not good enough to run ParaLLEl, indeed. Try this one with GLideN64 instead:

https://github.com/loganmc10/m64p/releases/tag/v2021.5.30

Should run most games without needing to fiddle with anything beyond configuring controls.
>>
>>8522572
Accuracy is overrated. Just make optimizations for every game instead, that way you have lower system requirements. Anyone who says PCSX2 is "bad" is coping.
>>
>>8530163
You can't emulate soul
>>
>>8530796
Per-game hacks are the gateway toward endless problems, and some games are too quirky to fix that way. Emulators like 1964 hit a dead end partly because of this.
>>
File: pikachu1.png (158 KB, 638x477)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>
>>
>>8530593
Oh that's nice, thank you!
>>
>>8532937
That looks fucking metal.
>>
>>8532985
Good Link, you look kinda cool!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.