[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are any of these good? Do they hold up?
>>
>"Mech" games
>Go zoom zoom like mosquitoes
Zoomer franchise
>>
>>8520704
Shut up.
>>
>>8520695
Some of the best games ever made.
>>
>>8520695
>Are any of these good?
no
>>
>>8520695
i think they hold up but i'm a big armored core fan so i'm biased, but the best out of that lineup is probably Silent Line if you want to start strong and see if you even like the gameplay
>>
>>8520695
They're very clunky. They became less clunky with Nexus, and the one missing from the picture, Last Raven

But I'd say even those two are still very "you have to be way into mecha to like this"
>>
>>8520779
The controls do take some getting used to (no dual analog before Nexus), but honestly it's not that bad, if you enjoy the gameplay you'll get used to them quickly (you can remap everything in-game AFAIK, also if using emulation you can use dual analog for any AC game anyway, so that isn't an issue on PC), so I wouldn't really worry about that. I wouldn't call it clunky, just different. The earlier AC games are designed to feel a bit "mech simulation-y" as opposed to arcade-y, for lack of a better description (different parts affect your movement speed etc). With the distinct controls, (fairly) realistic feel and tons of customization, Armored Core is kinda like the Gran Turismo of mech games.
>>
File: r6kr.jpg (182 KB, 1200x1191)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Nope
Only the PSX one and 4A are good, with Last Raven being alright (although I hate that one too).
>>
>>8520704
>humanoid robot
>can't move like a human
What's the point? Why not just play tank sims instead?
>>
>>8520704
Let me guess, you only played 4 Answer?
>>
>>8520695
Yes and yes. Don't let people know though, because the prices will get jacked up massively and I still do not own the entire PS2 set.
>>
>>8520885
Most Armored Core games are just dashing and flying. What's the point? Why not just play a jet game?
Fuck Mechwarrior too for that matter, literally just a tank sim in disguise.
>>
>>8520918
Jets don't dash retard.
>>
>>8520916
No reason to coomlect
>>
autism is required
>>
>>8520704
Oh the irony...
>>
>>8521194
Actually yes, if you love tinkering with your mech and customising it to the nth degree, trying out every part to find the best and coolest looking ones before taking it into combat... Either you're Japanese, or you may have some kind of autism, but no other game series scratches that itch quite like Armored Core does. It's a love or hate it kind of thing, but if you like stuff like that, the AC games will be like digital crack for you.
>>
>>8521306
I say love or hate because, if you don't like having to customize your mech inbetween missions, you might have a hard time (certainly if you're playing Last Raven anyway, I don't recommend starting with that one), also you kind of need to familiarise yourself with the part stats etc, figure out what they mean and so on (doesn't take long, but still). Add the slightly unusual controls on to that and yeah, you've certainly got something that isn't exactly based around instant gratification. But if you can get past the initial learning curve, it's literally one of the most satisfying gaming experiences you'll ever have. Nothing compares to the joy of taking your personalised AC into battle. I would start with AC3 because you can carry your save file over into Silent Line and then Last Raven (which means you get to keep all the parts you've unlocked, definitely comes in handy for LR). AC2 is also a great game and good starting point, but it only links to Another Age and AA doesn't transfer your save to AC3.
>>
>>8520695
All good games 'hold up'. A game doesn't stop being good just because it's 'old' or whatever.
>>
>>8521430
Some things only seem good because the better thing didn't exist yet. Everything is relative. Most mediocre forgotten ps4 games would be heralded as the greatest game of all time if they had somehow come out 15 years prior, just from the graphics alone.
>>
A series I have wanted to try for many years but never get around to it. It seems so intriguing if a bit hardcore and even nerdy though. They seem like the best mech games in the mech genre to me. The slow moving mechs from the west are alright and seem cool but the AC style just appeals to me way more. What I'd like to see is an AC game with a huge AAA backing behind it and a really good engine to see just how good this type of game could be.
>>
>>8520704
Let me guess. You're a mechwarrior fag who has only played MW4 or MWO?
>>
>>8521481
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree. I can see where you're coming from, but I think if something is good, it's good, period. Music is a good example, people still love classical compositions, and they can have the same impact today as they did when they were new. I know music is not considered to be an interactive experience, but I would say music requires intentional and conscious focus by the listener to be truly appreciated, so, in a way it could be considered interactive. Also with graphics in videogames, I find older graphics to have a certain charm to them, not just 2D sprite based stuff but early 3D also.
>>
>>8521501
Well, you're in luck about wanting a AAA Armored Core, news came out a couple days ago that From Software are working on AC6! Also yes AC is nerdy for sure (wouldn't want it any other way t b h), definitely the best mech games in my opinion though. I'd give the PS2 AC games a go, the balance of speed vs weight is really well done in those. The mechs feel powerful and heavy but still satisfyingly maneuverable. Later on (PS3/360) From did AC 4 and 4 Answer, the latter of which increased the speed massively vs the older games, a bit too much in my opinion.
>>
>>8521578
There's also music that has aged like dog shit, but it was trendy at the time.
>>
>>8521578
Some graphics age well, some don't. Mega Man legends looks awesome, a lot of other ps1 games look like vomit.
>>
>>8521606
Well, popular/trendy =/= good. Music like that probably wasn't good to begin with, it was just heavily marketed and promoted. I dunno, it could be a matter of opinion I guess. I even once played Pong with somebody and still enjoyed it, not a game I would want to play against a computer (that would be boring), but as a 2 player test of skill, even something as simple as that can still be enjoyable IMO.
>>
>>8521608
I guess so yeah, still a matter of opinion I reckon. I like PS1/PS2 graphics in general, maybe some nostalgia involved I guess, but honestly I don't much care for hyper realism when it comes to 3D games, I'd rather play an older game with a good art style than something that "looks real". I like using my imagination a bit when playing games, which is also why I don't care for cinematic/heavily narrative driven stuff.
>>
>>8520695
>Normalfag pretending to like Armored Core
Fuck off, faggot. Go back to Call Of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.
>>
>>8521370
>Silent Line and then Last Raven
Wrong. Only data between 3 and Silent Line are shared. Last Raven only shares its data with Nexus and Nine Breaker.
>>
>>8521647
Oh, I had the PSP version of LR, that one does let you import saves from AC3 and Silent Line. The PS2 version doesn't? That's strange.
>>
>>8521578
Look at games that perfectly predict the upcoming trends, blow up in popularity, and then when what it has is no longer special, is completely forgotten amongst its peers. Look at loads of big early 3D games or open world or MMO's that everyone realized were actually kind of shit once their thing was no longer special. It was only impressive for a very short period of time and had no staying power by itself. Aging poorly is just a phrase to describe this phenomenon. Everyone thought it was really cool and then at some point everyone decided it no longer was.

Bad control schemes or shitty save systems are a different matter under the same name though. A case where they were doing the best they could, it just wasn't widely accepted or known to do things that worked better that we now take as common. It's a product of its time as well, and so it makes sense to refer to the products age. A guy who used to slay pussy in the eighties but still walks around in a shirt that shows his nipples has aged poorly, even though it once worked well enough.
>>
>>8521671
Well, in that case I would suggest people start with AC3 Portable and emulate it in PPSSPP. The PSP versions are widescreen, and I think you can upscale them, so on a modern display they might look better than the PS2 versions. Plus you can map the controls to a dual analog controller.
>>
>>8521682
Yeah I get what you're saying, I guess I just don't really like the phrase 'aged poorly' when referring to games (or other media) much because like I say, usually if something truly is good, it stays good.

Also one important thing about Armored Core in particular, which has been discussed recently in other threads (so I won't go over it again in detail) is that while the exclusion of dual analog support for camera control seems kind of silly, it actually makes sense for AC because (depending on the parts your AC has) you will have a different turning speed than looking up or down, so while it may be more convenient, it actually feels weird with dual analog. I think what I used to do is map the camera controls to the 4 face buttons, later on I created a better control setup but that's a good starting point I think. The good thing is, far as I recall, all the controls are remappable, it's built into the games. I think From intended for people to customise the controls, using L and R for turning does feel a bit strange for sure, which I think is the default control scheme.
>>
>>8520695
>no nine breaker
>>
Everything up to Last Raven is fine, and then Last Raven arena, but fuck doing its missions. Last Raven was made by some real sadist.
>>
>hold up
>>
Tn.
>>
>>8520857
2 is one of the best games in the franchise what the fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>8523756
Yeah, I didn't play that much of 2, but it seems like one of the best for sure. Loved the music in that one. AC2 has a very cool late 90s sort of feel to it. It's a pity they couldn't link AC2 to 3 somehow, I mean I guess the plot/setting is different and it has a slightly different engine, but still.

I think I slightly prefer the more moody, future dystopia feel of AC3 overall. I feel like what AC3 did better than some of the previous games (and maybe one or two later titles) is the overall cohesion of the theme/setting, art style/mech designs, music and gameplay. It might not have the strongest missions in the series, but yeah everything just comes together very nicely in AC3.
>>
>>8521810
Yeah, pretty funny how all these people nowadays call every difficult game "Souls hard", having never heard of Last Raven or the AC series in general. Didn't Miyazaki have a pretty big role in making LR, too? I really wish FromSoft had never 'Sould out' Hah... Ok seriously though, I don't know why they had to screw things up with AC5 and Verdict Day the way they did (those games had some good things, but it was like they were trying to please everyone and no one at the same time with those, some weird design choices, I think those two are the least AC-ish AC games, aside from the customization) and then they abandoned the series for like a decade. But AC6 actually seems like it could be pretty awesome. In any case it's definitely worth playing the older titles.
>>
>>8523875
>Didn't Miyazaki have a pretty big role in making LR, too?
No.
>>
>>8523914
Ah okay, yeah his name comes up when LR gets mentioned sometimes, so I wondered if he was.
>>
>>8523914
How much involvement did he actually have with the AC games then, he had a fair bit to do with 4 and 4A right?
>>
>>8523952
Anyway I checked wikipedia and it says he directed 4 and 4A, so that was his main connection to AC, I guess. I didn't play much of either, but I liked the setting and atmosphere of 4A quite a bit. If he has a substantial role in the new AC game in development, it could actually be a good thing.

Although a lot of AC fans probably don't want any Souls like elements whatsoever, it's honestly what the series needs at this point to get the attention it deserves. Always puzzles me how niche the AC games seem to be considering how good they are. Guess it's just because Mecha stuff is way more popular in Japan.
>>
>>8521810
Last Raven missions bother me on a fundamental design level. The entire rest of the series is about options - you can in fact build like shit in any game, but there's also like a dozen game-viable ways to build. You play through games with what's effectively your tailor made combat styles based largely on your preferences, which makes them insanely replayable. Last Raven wants you to go into a mission, fail so that you see what you precognitively would have needed to prepare in order to win, and then build the exact machine the mission was made for. Yeah it's hard, but also tedius, lacking in replayability and punishes the concept of "playstyle" out of existence.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.