[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hommfog.jpg (277 KB, 1365x768)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
What are the best games that focus on exploring an area that is covered in fog of war and unearthing its secrets? HOMM is a classic of course but I was thinking something mission based maybe?
>>
>>8520689
Oh yeah I forgot XCOM which is another brilliant example that uses it in a suspenseful way
>>
Silent Hill
>>
Have you ever played a fogcorevania?
>>
File: the_deep_fog.jpg (66 KB, 750x897)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
tell me some fogcorelites
>>
the peak of crocforming
>>
>>8520689
>>
San Fransisco Rush, Buck Bumble, some other Forsaken, etc. Lots of stuff on N64. The draw distance was so shit that in lots of games they just made stuff 10 feet away appear foggy. Everything was muddy and blurry on it. It's why I got a PSX and then Dreamcast, but my friend first had N64 first.
>>
Spider-Man PSX is a go-to example. It's literally a plot point that a villain has covered the city in fog that Spider Man can't jump into below the rooftops, as a cute way to justify the graphical limitation. Batman Arkham Knight did that same plot point like 20 years after to SHOW OFF its graphics. Weird times.
>>
>>8520689
How about Warcraft 1 and 2? I think Warcraft 2 is the game that popularised the term 'fog of war', although it doesn't refer to the blacked out unexplored area, but rather the fog that covers areas that your units cannot see.
>>
>>8520689
Does the Merchant Prince series count? The maps you got in the beginning were very accurate close to home but less and less accurate further away. Especially with randomized maps there was a big sense of exploration.
>>
>>8520689
Age of Wonders.
>>
>>8520689
>play RTS
>clear an area from fog
>leave area
>fog gradually comes back
>>
thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5i8i3Xqa1o
>>
>>8521993
name one game
>>
Morrowind
>>
File: Exile.jpg (238 KB, 1280x720)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>8520689
Have you tried the old Exile games?
>>
>>8521623
This and Hammer of the Gods were pretty good.
In a way, most RTS and 4X would fit the bill, so would Infinity Engine games.
>>
ADVANCE WARS
>>
>>8521030
No it isnt. It's just an excuse as you said. You dont explore the fog and it's barely even addressed in the game, just the intro
>>
Shadows of the Empire.
>>
>>8522145
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun does this if I recall.
>>
baldur's gate

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.