[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Itgaki.jpg (1.3 MB, 1166x1411)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Official Xbox Magazine December 2001
>Us: Do you think that PS2 is starting to look dated?
>Him: Yes. The PlayStation 2 already belongs to another [previous] generation.
>In terms of power, the Xbox seems approximately three to five times more powerful than the PlayStation 2.

Was PS2 already outdated a year after its release? Has it been retro this whole time?
>>
>>8517737
>Official Xbox Magazine
You think they're gonna shittalk their own console? MGS2 is a slowdown fest on the Xbox.
>>
xbox is a 480p console while ps2 is a 480i console so i'd say he is correct though it's xbox that was ahead instead of ps2 being behind. ps2 had era appropriate performance.
>>
>>8517737
cookie man
>>
>>8517889
Wowie the PS2 can handle particles better in this questionably ported instance, guess the Xbox has no strengths over the PS2 and didn't have any titles that would make it shit a brick. Based disingenuous retard.
>>
The competing consoles of the 6th gen were wildly different from each other and while one would be retarded to say the Xbox wasn't the most powerful overall, they were each capable of effects not easily replicated and excelled at certain workloads compared to the others. It was the last generation of each machine having its own 'flavor'.
>>
>>8518058
I miss when game consoles were so significantly from each other, that even multiplats and ports felt like completely different games depending on the hardware. Nowadays everything's samey.
>>
>CPU at least 2x faster with 128 bit SIMD
>nearly 2x more RAM
>HDD usable as cache
>directx gpu with 2.0 shaders
Yes, Xbox far outpaced the PS2. The only place the PS2 could be said to have an advantage is with its VRAM bandwidth.
>>
>>8517889
>Konami game
everyfucking time
>>
>>8517737
yeah, dreamcast had better graphics
>>
>>8518181
Yeah but think of how many times you got burned by this shit. Everything from bad ports to the totally different game being total shit by comparison (ie. Spiderman 2 for PC, good job shactivision)
>>
>>8517737
Who the fuck is that tacky looking cocksucker?
>>
>>8517889
I mean you can't be wrong. If cheapass, money-focused konami is in charge of making a port for a disgusting gaijin burger box that's being outsold by AIDS in Japan, they will surely give it their all, and not just slide a fat stinky turd out of their lips to then use their own lack of effort (and resulting market failure) as circular reasoning why they shouldn't bother supporting the console. Surely no other companies, say, Atlus, did the exact same fucking thing to BS their way out of further supporting disgusting foreigner crap.
>>
>here is our new PS2 console
>you remember how easy it was to program for PS1?
>we've now made it easier for devs to unlock the full potential of the system
>we have made it possible for them to write assembly for all five different components
>but don't worry
>devs who prefer the easier way will still be able
>albeit at the cost of terrible performance
>well actually this last part isn't ready yet but we're working on it
>should be ready in about 2-3 years

>here is our new xbox console
>we found out you can put the PS2 on its side which inspired us
>we did that to one of our PCs then put a logo on it
>bill thought it was great
>and here is the result
>buy one of our devkits and with a few small changes your PC compatible software will compile and run on xbox
>it's that easy
>>
>>8518563
>2x bigger
>>
the endless amount of seethe the chadstation 2 generates just by existing is fantastic. truly the greatest console of all time
>>
>>8517737
I remember reports of Hideo Kojima cursing and storming out of Sony's developer system introduction meeting when he saw the tech-specs of the PS2, if you keep in mind this is in Japan it's a ridiculous more severe reaction that it already initially seems.

That said, I was blown away by the graphics and level of detail in the MGS2 tanker demo and as a massive PC faggot was impressed with the PS2.
>>
>>8518049
This but unironically.
>>
>>8518825
>XD
I hate this fucking place. I only come here because where else can you speak your mind without getting doxxed? Nothing but retards posting in poor faith, contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism, outright wrong morons like you. It wears me out.
>>
>>8517737
Did Itagaki really say that or did the interviewer exaggerate his reply?
>>
>>8517737
>Tommy Wiseau if he was Japanese
>>
>>8519169
Itagaki made some good stuff though (baring Devil's Third)
>>
>>8518708
Fpbp.
Xbox and Dreamcast are god tier 480p consoles. PS2 was 480i with dim lighting and the purple lunchbox...LOL
>>
>>8519225
Filtered
>>
>>8517737
He was exaggerating.
But also the Xbox didn't have that many games that really pushed the hardware.
>>
>>8517893
480i and 480p are literally exactly the same from a processing standpoint.
>>
The systems were close enough that most developers built their games for the lowest common denominator between them and nobody cared.
>>
>>8519264
GameCube had 480p too, jackass.
>>
>>8520694
>double the pixels is exactly the same from a processing standpoint
>>
File: Doaxbvbox.jpg (16 KB, 214x299)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Sony and Nintendo just couldn't compete
>>
>>8517737
I miss him. It's just shit talking, but I miss it.
>>
>>8520785
How do we get Phil to acquire him?
>>
>>8520743
It's not double the pixels. The progressive/interlacing difference is done externally in the video chips (not the GPU) separate from all graphics rendering.
>>
>>8517737
>five times more powerful than the PlayStation 2
Based retard breaking the stereotype that Asians are good at math
>>
>>8518796
MGS 2 Tanker still looks good to this day. And it was a launch title.
Kojima really is a master
>>
File: ps2-story.jpg (269 KB, 1281x805)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
MEANWHILE, this is what our state funded media was saying about the PS2.
>>
>>8518642
How was Castlevania CoD on the XBox? Only ever played the PS2 version.
>>
>>8520887
You are illiterate. Progressive scan literally displays 2x the information in a frame and requires 2x the bandwidth. It's a part of graphics rendering. Saged and dismissed.
>>
>>8521985
Not him, but what would the difference be for a 30fps game? Either way you're getting the same amount of visual information.
>>
>>8521991
You don't get the same amount of visual information. You only get the same amount of visual information on the static elements of the image and everywhere else it's much blurrier and has terrible combing artifacts.
See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgAkDnnO2WA
>>
>>8517737
yes, in the early 2000s things were outdated before they even released
>>
>>8521995
If it's a 30fps game then you can construct the exact same picture by simply field weaving.
>>
>>8520975
I would think most 1st world nations wouldn't trust their weapons guidance systems to questionably sourced 3rd party hardware.
>>
>>8521998
No, you can't.
>>
>>8522002
That's definitionally what weave deinterlacing does. If the same frame is used as the source for both fields, which is the case for 30fps games, then weaving them will result in the reconstruction of the original frame.
>>
>>8522019
I know what deinterlacing is.
A reconstruction is not "the exact same picture".

Man, what is this cope? We had upscaling and deinterlacing for years, we knew we can't get a 480p-quality image from that, an we deinterlace exactly because 480i looks bad, not because it's exactly the same as 480p(???).
Is this some weird fanboyism thing?
>>
>>8522043
Apparently not if you don't understand what the different forms of deinterlacing are.
>>
>>8522043
>an we deinterlace exactly because 480i looks bad
wrong, you don't even know what deinterlacing is
>>
>>8522045
>>8522046

You being dismissive isn't gonna work when every human on Earth is equipped with a pair of eyes.
Blocked!
>>
>>8522047
You are pointing your eyes at an incorrectly configured video setup. No shit it looks worse.
>>
>>8521001
Surprisingly good, maybe the one time Konami wasn't lazy

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.