[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20220112_051239.jpg (3.71 MB, 4032x3024)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
What does /vr/ think about the Analogue Pocket?

I have been using one for the last week or two.

I have mixed opinions. Probably more negatives than positives.
>>
File: DSC_0229.jpg (1.99 MB, 4032x2268)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
reddit trash.
get og hardware even if modded.
>>
>>8517586
List the negs and pros. I want a real opinion and not a scripted review from a YouTube talking head
>>
>>8517646
this please
>>
>>8517646
I'll make it quick since I can go on about minor details forever.

Pros: Screen clarity and brightness. Rather loud stero speakers. Switching screen modes on the fly is pretty nice

Neutrals: Battery life. Solid construction, good weight. Feels 'slightly' cheap in terms of plastic quality but not enough to be a con. Concave x and y buttons, I like this touch but purely opinion based.

Cons: shit feeling d pad, not very precise when changing direction while sliding your thumb. Sharp edges on plastic sides. No sd card slot cover, looks really bad imo. L and R are stiffer than a pedophiles dick at baby gap, unless pressed inwards closer towards the cart instead of away from the cart. The side buttons feel incredibly cheap and brittle, like cheap plastic or vinyl material that got exposed to the sun too much. Volume button & sleep/wake is too close together. I/O button is like clicky in the dead middle when pressed but feels like its going to pop out or move out of place when pressed anywhere else. My screen has a 2-3mm area where it looks like the adhesive is wearing off or was never applied properly. Speaker holes (on the black model my friend has) look very sloppily drilled when you look at them dead on. Cartridge slot is actually not terrible tolerance wise, its a light snug but definitely weaker than any nintendo device. Carts have to have CLEAN contacts. Had to clean almost all of my original GB carts to get them to play. No fucking AC adapter included, and it recommends type c to c that not everyone has.

If I missed something you're looking for let me know
>>
>>8517630
This
soulless s`oy toy
>>
File: PSX_20220109_130832.jpg (1.54 MB, 2896x3861)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
The screen/display modes are amazing, and the buttons are fine, IMO. I only have minor gripes with some of the design choices. The screen glass isn't recessed into the front face, and the back shell is a bit smaller than the front half for no apparent reason.
>>
>>8517734
Thanks King
>>
>>8517741
Op here. Any comments on my post here? >>8517734
>>
>>8517769
Anytime. I could probably forgive a lot of this is a damn jailbroken firmware was released by now. But $220+ shipping on this item....idk its hard for me to suggest getting one unless your a die hard gameboy fan, in which case you already have one
>>
>>8517734
Thanks for the write up friend
>>
>>8517734
>and it recommends type c to c
what like, both ends are type c? What the fuck?

good list, glad I stayed away. I still have my old game boys. Either way, I actually don't play a lot of my game boy stuff anymore either.
>>
File: IMG_4461.jpg (1.83 MB, 4000x2678)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>8517734
>>8517774
>Feels 'slightly' cheap in terms of plastic quality but not enough to be a con.
You're not wrong, but the injection molding is actually a lot better than I expected for a small company at this price point.
>shit feeling d pad, not very precise when changing direction while sliding your thumb
That does seem to be a common complaint, but I haven't experienced any issues, possibly because the lionshare of my time thus far has been spent on Tetris and Mario Golf.
>Sharp edges on plastic sides
Fair, but I don't feel them while playing.
>No sd card slot cover, looks really bad imo.
I'm looking for an all white SD card for this reason.
>Volume button & sleep/wake is too close together.
Also fair, I wouldn't be surprised if future units have volume buttons with raised +/- symbols.
>>
>>8517785
Yes. Apparently they recommended 5v @ 3A (15W) which from what I can tell usb A to C does not support.

>>8517824
Ok with tetris i feel like you would totally noticed the miss inputs on the dpad. Like I have to press the down direction very accurately, if I star shifting towards the right arrow it already goes there.

>I'm looking for an all white SD card for this reason.

Nintendo makes a zelda themed one thats all white. It's overpriced but exists. I'm just gonna hit the exposed part of my sd with white nail polish and call it a day.

Glad to see we have similar views on this item
>>
>>8517785
>what like, both ends are type c? What the fuck?
if you have any modern phone it will come with an usb c pd cable and charger.
unless you are an inigger that's it.
>>
>>8517734
Sounds like junk, thanks friend!
>>
>>8518212
Not totally junk but a very big disappointment. Not worth the wait plus the price tag for sure
>>
bad bait thread
>>
>>8518360
Really? I've spent almost all of my time shitting on the pocket, if it was bait I'd be praising it. Check post like 3 or 4 for the wall of text
>>
>>8517586
>/vr/
>think
You must be old here
>>
>>8517630
This. I bought one of these knockoff reproductions and it just doesn't feel the same bros. You might as well play an emulator if you don't go original hardware. Playing on a shitty small screen with cheaply made buttons doesn't make a better experience than emulator. But when get out the real old GB it's another matter.

You'll never relive your memories with a modern piece of classic.
>>
>>8517734
Main thing I judge buttons on my modded consoles is being able to move mario in mario land freely around the screen in the shooting level and in other games like r type, sagaia, and zelda. I've gotten it pretty good with pressing a direction at once by putting plastic under the dpad but not perfect like you get on a genesis or snes controller. On GBC there are screws under the dpad so you can adjust the pressure. The original gb was not perfect is this area either. What I think is perfect is when the d pad reaction with barely any pressure, the spaces under the d pad can removed any feelings of mushiness. Main issue I have is with diagnals.
With Atari lynx you almost need bear hands to do diagnals.
>>
I like mine a ton, best way to play GB/GBC games IMO. GBA is slightly more questionable as the shoulder buttons aren't the most comfortable, but depending on the game you can jist map them to the other face buttons and its fine. Screen is gorgeous though, especially after the last update where theynfixed the lcd shader for GBA games

I went ahead and did the tape mod on the dpad and it's perfect now so no issues there. Fucking 8bitdo dpads, all of them pretty much require it
>>
I find the d-pad to be great overall, but I do admit there are incorrect inputs. I notice it with Tetris Rosy Retrospection. I downloaded a button test and confirmed that, when I press left or right on the d-pad closer to the center, the Pocket registers up or down, depending on which side I'm pressing. This doesn't happen when I'm pressing at the far edges of the d-pad, but I confirmed there are missed inputs.

The volume buttons can be difficult to find when not looking, too.

Those are my only gripes. I find everything else great. I hold the Pocket like I do other handhelds in this form factor: palms flush against the sides with index fingers extended along the side. Or sometimes the index fingers are lightly rested on the shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons are fine for me; slightly squeaky, though not stiff. The screen doesn't appear to be loosening. I've been using my GB X7 with save states a lot, so I'm pressing the physical button while using the top of the screen as an anchor. So far so good.
>>
File: 20220114-141018_Gallery.jpg (1.01 MB, 1080x2192)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I was thinking about buying it if had amazing build quality since I already own an IPS modded SP, AGS-101 SP, and Micro. But hearing that it has shit buttons is a huge killer for me. It's why I never ever use my IPS modded GBC, the dpad and buttons just feel like fucking mush compared to the great buttons on the SP and Micro. Seriously nothing beats the tactile buttons on the SP.
>>
>>8517586
ngl a FPGA handheld sounds great, but I feel like this one has first-out-the-door symptom. It also is too focused on cartridges.

I think you wait it out and see what comes after. It'll get better/cheaper over time and we'll eventually see both FPGA and software emulation blow this stuff away.
>>
>>8519752
If you already have IPS modded GBAs there's basically no point
The only thing you'd really be getting is easier gameplay capture via the dock
>>
File: 1623464316911.jpg (12 KB, 258x245)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>8517734
The first review I've read that seems legit and not either consoomer bait or terminally contrarian, thanks anon
> stiffer than a pedophiles dick at baby gap
My sides
>>
>>8517586
>does /vr/ think about the Analogue Pocket?
the game
>>
>>8518664
Tell me, did you have to puncture or tamper with the analogue security seal? I heard someone say you can ignore it because the screw underneath the sticker doesn't hold the 2 pieces of plastic together it just hides the screw holding the motherboard down to the face of the device.

>>8518664
>>8518683
Any of u guys have a white pocket?
>>
>>8520882
The movie
>>
>>8523352
No one ever lost the movie, ya dumb zoom zoom.
>>
>>8524730
The musical
>>
>>8525814
The vignette to be frank.
>>
>>8517734
The battery life is utter fucking shit. 8 hours on an 4400 MAh battery? It would eat up 3/4 of my 16000 MAh power bank per charge. Get a samsung galaxy from 2012 or powkiddy q90 instead, this FPGAY shit is a meme.
>>
I like mine. Agree that the dpad is crap. Apparently someone on Etsy is working on a replacement ( same dude selling a DMG skin/buttons for it)

Volume won't toggle if another button is touched, and the buttons are too small. Shoulders are shit.

Beautiful screen, though. The 101 filter is better than actual 101s. GB looks amazing too. Should've had Super Gameboy features ready at launch.
>>
>>8527981
Hmm, to be fair I've only drained and charged it once which is why I put it as a neutral. Getting close to my 2nd charge cycle tho. I've primarily been playing original gameboy games is that accounts for anything.

>>8528104
Very bitter sweet that people have to 3d print their own pieces for a system that was this hyped up and praised.

>>8527981
>>8528104
Alright boys black or white pockets?

I'm pretty certain right after shitty d pad the next very big issue has to do with the screen adhesive losing its grip. This from what I've seen is apparent in the white models from what I've seen.

To anyone with a white model

Do you have a horizontal black line about 2-3mm in length on the top area of your screen where the glass meets the plastic? Most I've seen have this on the top right area near the corner
>>
>>8520459
>basically no point
allegedly a jailbreak is coming when the new firmware launches this month.

people managed to get GB/GBC games running natively off of MicroSD card

the sleep functionality is also really good and the dock feels like it should be a bigger deal than folks are making it out to be

>>8529216
Black pocket. No problems with the screen. Dunno why anyone would want a white gadget when it's just gonna show all the scratches and dirt.
>>
File: IMG_20211218_115913r.jpg (1.47 MB, 2250x3000)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>8529216
I had a close look at mine and the screen did have the slightest bit of play on the left side, maybe half a mm. I was able to push it back in slightly.
>>8529425
The white model doesn't show fingerprints or smudges, and is far preferable IMO. My white DSi is 13 years old, and it's held up just fine, perhaps because I wash my hands occasionally.
>>
>>8518328
I don’t think the price is that crazy for what it is desu. But the crazy wait times aren’t really worth it. And obviously the “no emulation” is just marketing bullshit just know what you’re getting and it’s fine.
>>
>>8530092
Interesting, I don't have play but I have the small black line. I got the white because I had a 1001 black psp in the day, loved it, but then saw the 2000 model star wars edition all white and had to get it.

>>8531293
It's not that the price is necessarily crazy. But include the fact they went up $20 on top of $200. And still charge for shipping. And have a 1 year wait.

Really makes you wonder, could they really not afford to put a bit more adhesive under the screen or improve the d pad at all.
>>
>>8517646
pros are screen, speakers, no save battery issues (it backups to internal memory), and save states, etc

cons are price, availability, and that it is emulation
>>
>>8531903
No complaints about the d pad?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.